• Published 27th Feb 2020
  • 1,091 Views, 28 Comments

The Unintended Psychological Consequences of Inter-Dimensional Travel - Dafaddah



Luna helped Daybreaker get everything she'd always wanted. It just wasn't what she needed. So she figured it was time to go to Equestria and find some answers. That's when the trouble started.

  • ...
3
 28
 1,091

You are my Sunshine

The morning brought with it a surprise in the form of a visit from another princess. I had yet to rise from my bed, and I admit, I was at a loss for words when the guardpony unlocked and opened the door with a clash and her silhouette, tall and still very much regal despite her so-called ‘retirement’, filled the entrance.

When she spoke she further surprised me, producing not the sneer and taunts I was expecting, but an odd greeting expressed gently, almost warmly.

“Well, if it isn’t the better, prettier, and more powerful version of myself!“ declared Princess Celestia, former co-ruler of Equestria.

Intrigued, I raised and rattled a shackled hoof. “It’s all in the accessories, dear Celestia. But pray tell me, why the interesting choice of words? It’s almost as if we had already met!”

“In a sense we have –“ the ghost of a smile touched her lips “– although those other Daybreakers never showed signs of having a sense of humour.” Her expression grew serious. “I have read the transcripts from the trial, and my sister has repeatedly expressed her opinion that you are somehow different from those other Daybreakers we’ve tangled with in the past. The question on my mind is who exactly is this Daybreaker mare before me?”

The question took me aback. Ever since I could remember I had been told how to behave, how to think, who I was, what I was. I looked down at the chains that bound my hooves and snorted a laugh. “I am a prisoner awaiting sentencing.” I looked back up into her eyes. “I guess I’m not as funny as you thought I was.” I gestured for her to enter and sit, which she did.

Something from what she’d just said struck me. “Your sister Luna has spoken to you about me?”

Celestia nodded. “Indeed she has. And I admit I was surprised at how insistent she was in coming to your defence. She’s told me of the role you played in that incident, helping her recover her powers from that alternate world Eris, but still, I would like to know in your own words, why do you think she has chosen this course of action?”

I sighed. “Having quite a lot of free time on my hooves, I’ve spent hours pondering that question myself. I’ve even asked her to her face what has motivated her to take up my cause, despite the risks to herself and her reputation. She explained that it’s because she sees much of herself in me.” I shrugged. “It seems we both live under the shadows cast by our shameful betrayals of those we loved.”

I looked up and saw pain and confusion in Celestia’s eyes.

“She hasn’t told you everything, I see.” I digested this fact a moment, and decided I may as well correct the omission. “Suffice it to say that I had a sister, Nightmare Moon, who rebelled against our master, the Pony of Shadows, and despite how deeply I loved her, I let her be destroyed rather than go against our master, an act I have regretted every waking second of every day since.” Her ears flagged as I spoke. Still I kept our gaze locked. “Luna says this betrayal unites us two as sisters of a sort, and I could not persuade her to change her mind in this regard, nor in the matter of defending me in court.” I smiled. “So ready to protect others, just like my lost Moon! I saw that same fierce expression on your Luna’s face when she defended me from Eris.” I tore my gaze away, resolved that I was not going to tear up in front of another one of this dimension’s princesses, and especially not this distorted mirror of myself!

“You missed her!” whispered Celestia.

“Yes. I could no long deny it to myself. How I had missed her! How sweet it was to hear that familiar voice…”

Celestia’s voice grew even softer. “When one contemplates eternity, a thousand years may count for little more than the blink of an eye. Still, every day of my own sister’s banishment was like a knife through my heart.” I felt a hoof touch my withers. “Is that why you came here? Why you left the Casino, when you at long last had your freedom, power over others, a chance at everything you’d always wanted?”

Disappointment sat like a heavy lump in my stomach.


“It wasn’t enough. It wasn’t nearly enough. I pretended it was for a while, but every new day was just so empty after having had a brief shining moment when I wasn’t... alone. So I thought just go for a visit. I left my best lieutenant, Sunset Shimmer, in charge, and decided to come visit this Equestria, to see Luna and just for a while to drive the loneliness away, until I could once again face the day alone.” I grinned. “And I’d get to see if Sunset would have grown powerful enough in my absence to challenge me on my return!”

Interestingly, Celestia’s face had blushed visibly at the mention of my lieutenant. Another story for another time, I presumed. “Well, it would appear you and I have more in common than I would have thought.” Her pleasant expression returned and she winked. “And by the way, I still think I’m the prettier and more powerful version of us," she said as she backed out of the cell. "No offense!” she called over her shoulder as she turned away.

“None taken,” I replied, and couldn’t resist adding, “and I’d skip dessert for a meal or three, if I were you!” The door closed with a clash of steel, failing to hide the snort of amusement as the clip-clop of gilded horseshoes receded into the distance.