• Published 26th Feb 2020
  • 6,449 Views, 676 Comments

Our Little Brother, Spike - Hope Caster



Finding a whelp cold and alone after hatching season, Amber Ironscale brings the poor thing back to her cave and adopts him, giving him the name Heathspike, Spike for short. Her son, Garble, vows to be the best big brother he can be, no matter what.

  • ...
10
 676
 6,449

Chapter 19: Royal Summit

It was something out of a nightmare, one that she was begging to wake up from. Gemstone was still trying to come to terms with what happened. Eighteen ponies had raided their cave two hours ago. Spears were thrown, spells were fired, her father, her mother, her brothers, all injured or worse. She put a claw up to her mouth and fought the urge to vomit. Why had she been unharmed?

She looked into the darkness of her master’s cave, where her brother’s cries could be heard. Why had a spear been thrown through Slicer? Why had a spear shattered her baby brother’s egg? Why wasn’t she helping Slicer? Gemstone took a step forward, only to be stopped by another dragon.

“Let them work,” he told her.

He was older than she, but only slightly. Topaz had sent for help upon seeing Slicer brought in. Gemstone could only remember the phrase ‘emotionally unstable’ before three dragons came. This dragon, and two other apprentices, had been the ones to answer Topaz’s call.

Why was she still alive? She recalled telling Slicer to run as fast as he could. She had fought her best, killing at least three of their attackers, while the rest scattered throughout the cave, hiding behind their fireproof shields. Had she been paying better attention, she likely would have seen Slicer running, trying to reach the cave-mouth and flee, only for a pony to get in his way and for him to quickly change course.

The rest was a blur. The only other thing she could remember was a dazed and confused unicorn lobbing a spear at one of them, but it had missed her and her parents. Not Slicer, though.

It had gone through his shoulder and into the egg, pinning both to the ground, right at the cave-mouth. Had she kept that pony occupied, perhaps both could have escaped. Had she been stronger, had she been better, this would not have happened.

But it did, and the world went red for her. How many did she kill? She didn’t know. Many died after her baby brother was murdered. But some managed to survive.

In total, five ponies remained, spared only because they hid inside a bubble that a unicorn conjured. Not even her claws could pierce it, try as she did. However, her father had picked the bubble, with ponies still inside of it, and stuffed them into a burlap sack. Heartbroken, Gemstone’s parents left for the pit, while she was given the task to find help for Slicer.

Why had the attackers even struck? Was it for their gold and jewels? But how did they know where to find them? Why were any of those vile pieces of dreck still alive?

A sharp cry from the cave brought her back to reality. She knew she couldn’t go into the cave, where she only would get in the way, but her brother was weeping, crying for his mother, for his father, anyone that could comfort him. She took a step forward, but the same older dragon who’d stopped her before held her back again. Gemstone fought in his grasp, to no avail, as she soon found herself restrained.

After hours, the screaming stopped, replaced by the sound of weeping. Two dragons walked out from the cave, pouring cleaning solution on their claws.

“The wounds closed, nothing important was hit– thank Bahamut. You can go in and see him, but–”

Gemstone tore herself away from the older dragon and rushed past the nurse.

In the cave, she found her brother sitting upon a stone slab, his torso and shoulder wrapped in bloody bandages. Her voice hitched and she covered her mouth, fighting back tears. She knelt before him and cupped his face, using her thumb to wipe away the water streaming down cheeks.

“Slicer, how are you feeling?”

“It hurts.” He sniffled. “Gemstone, di-did you fix O-Onyx? That spear hit him too. He needs help.”

Dread filled her stomach. He had to know, or perhaps he was in denial. Yet, his eyes were pure, concerned. He actually thought there was a chance.

“Who’s Onyx?” asked Topaz.

“Our little brother,” Gemstone said, forcing down tears. The name had been the source of many small arguments when Pala had first laid the egg. Onyx was the name decided upon if it was a boy, Pearl if it was a girl. As far as Slicer was concerned, though, Onyx was their sibling’s name. “It was his egg that they– that they–”

She couldn’t finish the sentence, but Topaz understood. She could only close her eyes, silently mourning the lost hatchling.

“Slicer, there’s no fixing what happened to Onyx,” Gemstone said, grasping his shoulders.

“But healers–”

“We can fix injuries, but what happened to Onyx, it’s more than just a wound. He’s gone, Slicer. Dead.”

“Dead? But I was supposed to make sure he was okay. I was going to teach him about being a dragon.”

“I know, Slicer, I know. I’m sorry.” Gemstone saw his lips tremble, before burying his face in her chest. She could only wrap her arms around her little brother as he wept.

“I’m sorry,” he whimpered repeatedly. “I’m sorry.”

Gemstone held her brother and tried to soothe him, but an anger was growing inside of her. Why was he apologizing, as if he’d been the one to run their sibling through with a spear? Slicer had acted nothing but gentle around the egg, loving, caring. It had been those damn ponies. Gemstone began to recount all the times she’d been warned how dangerous those animals could be, but she hadn’t listened. She’d chalked the warnings up to an old wyrm's old tale, yet here she was living through that story and it was just as real a hell as they’d described it.

Equestria had spawned creatures that had no qualms with murdering children. If it could produce such unnatural creatures, better that it and every pony be burned to ash.


Kalamet wondered what a mother could do when her unborn child was murdered, and another had been injured. Pala could only mourn. They were in a vacant cave, miles away from theirs as it was still stained with the aftermath of the attack. Gemstone and Slicer were staying with Topaz, to keep an eye on his son’s wound and to allow them privacy. He held his mate as she wept, speaking incoherently.

It was said that when a mother lost a child, the loss was like having her heart ripped out of her. If this was how a mother typically grieved, those mothers were the lucky ones. Pala was broken. Her mind, heart and soul seemed to have shattered. And how could they not have? She was still hovering over the remains of the egg. Apologizing to it, wishing that she could have protected it better, showering it with her now-futile hopes for what it’d bring into the world.

This was all his fault. He was their father. He should have protected his sons better, he should have cleared a path for them, kept the ponies’ focus on him, something, anything. It was his one of two responsibilities he had as a parent. Yet, he couldn’t hit a single one of the attackers with his fire, and they had all evaded his slams, save for the pony that harmed his children. But even then, it was too late. Slicer had been stabbed, and his newborn had been killed.

He didn’t cry, he just felt empty inside. The longer his mate wept, the void within him was slowly filled with rage. Onyx had limitless potential, and it was stripped away in an instant. Never would the hatchling take breath, crawl, or even walk thanks to them. He’d never know joy or sorrow, anger or love, humiliation or pride. He’d never know his parents or siblings, and how much they loved him. He’d heard that in the old days, something like this would lead a dragon to raze a city. He’d always thought it foolish. After all, only a murderer was to blame for a murder.

Now it was foolish for a different reason. How could a dragon, a father, stop at just one city? That entire wretched land should burn, and he should be the one burning it.

“Kalamet, it’s time.”

He turned his head, and saw Torch standing at the mouth of the cave. With him were five other dragons. Flare Ironscale, Razor Windwing, Galant Razorback, Gladius Moonstone, and Golem Rockfist. Behind them five teenage dragons, holding five platinum chains that led to five bound–

His eyes narrowed into thin strips as they honed in on the ponies.

“Murderers!” Kalamet roared upon seeing the chained and muzzled captives. He released Pala, leaping in front of her. He opened his mouth, as the ponies thrashed and let out muffled screams of terror while fire filled Kalamet’s maw.

However, Torch sprung forth and clamp Kalamet’s jaws shut. The Dragon Lord let out his own roar, mightier than his opponent’s, and slammed Kalamet to the ground, eliciting a horrified shriek from Pala. Before she could intervene, Flare and Razor restrained her, careful not to harm her in their grasp.

The two bereaved parents roared and wept as they struggled against their fellow dragons, but it was futile. Soon they became still, though Pala still shed tears.

“What kind of Lord are you, Torch? Why are they still alive?” Kalamet sneered once Torch had released his jaws. “They attacked us, murdered one of my children, skewered another! If it was your daughter, they would be smears on the floor by now!”

“Do not invoke my daughter, and you do not disrespect me with such accusations,” Torch growled. “They’re restrained. Non-threats. I can understand what you’re going through, but you are a dragon. Act like one. We are going to meet with Princess Celestia, ruler of Equestria. She will see who the perpetrators are. She will see who was harmed. Will see everything her subjects did to your family, and to him,” he bellowed, pointing to the egg’s remains. “You will have retribution, you have my word, but we do it properly, or you face me.”

Kalamet nodded, calming himself. “What of my mate, my children? I can’t just leave them.”

“Galant, Gladius, protect this cave, and Kalamet’s family, at any cost.” Torch ordered. The dragons nodded.

“What of that wench,” Kalamet asked, “Celestia?”

“Like I said, I’ve sent for her.”


Twilight Sparkle was a studious, responsible, and overall pleasant filly. However, like all things in Princess Celestia’s life, there was a ‘but’ attached to her loved ones.

Luna was a kind and compassionate mare, but she had been corrupted by dark magic and had to be banished to the moon. Discord was a charming rogue who’d given her some of the best memories in her long life, but his good looks, witty jokes, and dexterous silver tongue were something of a mask for his more toxic personality. And Starswirl had been a wise, powerful mage, but he was also an egotist who knew everything and therefore should never be questioned.

Even the nation and her subjects had a ‘but’. Twilight’s ‘but’ was that she was addicted to her studies. No, addicts had a better time handling withdrawal than Twilight did when sequestered from her books.

Contemplating the quietly studious filly, the lone occupant of the space that served as their private classroom at the Palace, away from the School for Gifted Unicorns, Celestia contemplated how she’d tried to push the filly to make friends, yet always her pupil was adamant about focusing on her studies.

Her schoolmates? They were not worth her time.

“Moondancer was reading from the wrong book, Princess,” went one memorable retort, “and then Lemon Hearts got her head stuck in a flask! That shouldn’t even be physically possible; she was so clumsy that she ignored physics!”

Blade Sentry’s little brother, Flash? The armor that he was wearing, which was ten sizes too big for him, had been obtained via nepotism, and Twilight took issue with that. Blade had come to his superiors and Celestia herself to ask permission to let his little brother dress up in armor borrowed from the armory, as the little colt dreamt of being in the Royal Guard when he was older, and Blade wanted to do something nice for his birthday.

As she could recall, Celestia had gone a step further, pulled a few strings and allowed it on the condition that Flash Sentry would guard her and Twilight during their lessons. In all honesty, her reasoning was that it would be cute to see a small colt don armor meant for grown stallions, and it was. A small part of her thought that Twilight might make a friend, but it still hadn’t worked.

“He hasn’t done a bit of research on proper procedure! He doesn’t know where the panic room is, the hurricane maneuver, or any of the generals that served in the last century! Worst of all, he got bored and asked if I wanted to play tag while I was studying! Who does that?”

A normal colt, Celestia thought to herself. Young Timber Spruce, who helped his elder sister out in the Royal Gardens, fared no better.

“He was just planting the azaleas all over the place! He should have planted them left to right, back to front! There’s a system! That way, he doesn’t step on any, but no, he just went around planting them! Plus, we then asked if I wanted to play hide and seek halfway through the day. There were still flowers to plant. What kind of colt thinks it’s okay to stop working when he gets bored?”

The max which Twilight had reached regarding friends were her older brother and her pet pogona lizard she’d hatched during her entrance exam. It still shocked Celestia that Prince Blueblood, of all ponies, proved able to make a friend before Twilight. She didn’t know who exactly Apple Jewel was, but if Blueblood wrote home from boarding school saying she was a nice filly, she was more than welcome to join the family for dinner at the castle.

Yes, Twilight’s ‘but’ was grating at times. Yet, despite all her flaws, Celestia always knew that she could count on Twilight’s thirst for knowledge to easily manoeuvre the filly when needed.

An armored stallion burst into the room, breathing heavily.

“Princess, there’s a–” he paused upon seeing Twilight, who’d previously had her nose stuck in a book at the desk, now looking up irritatedly. “There’s a small group of messengers wanting to speak with you, they’re awfully pushy. Worse, the scroll is stamped with an orange-red seal.”

Celestia had several code-words for incidents befalling the castle. Orange-red meant dragons at the gates, huffing and puffing, and getting ready to blow the castle down. She sighed, knowing what was coming next.

“She doesn’t have time for that, we’re studying!” Twilight snapped. The little filly stood on her tiny legs, puffed out her little chest, and inflated her cheeks. She was the cutest little filly in the world. “She made a hoof-promise that I get her two hours a day!”

“Oh, Twilight, I know I promised, but as Princess, I have other responsibilities,” Celestia said, earning a rather disappointed look from her beloved pupil. “I know how it must feel. How about you go to the historical archives and read a few scrolls instead?”

The book Twilight was holding in her aura dropped to the floor and her eyes widened like saucers. “What?”

“Did I stutter? Perhaps you’re not ready for it then.” Celestia asked, jokingly, a smile and giggle gracing her lips. Unfortunately, Twilight did not understand jokes, not without having them explained to her.

“No, no, I’m sorry!” Twilight said, grabbing Celestia’s foreleg. “But why?”

“Think of it as an apology. Also, I want you to be a teacher for a day,” Celestia said. “Get Timber and Flash and have them read with you.”

She watched as Twilight’s face turned to disgust and the filly stuck out her tongue. “Do I have to?”

“Depends. Do you want to read historical articles?”

“More than anything!” Twilight said loudly, with a desperation found only in ponies on trial.

“Then yes, you need to. Have Rock Solid escort you,” Celestia said, using her hoof to push Twilight towards the armored stallion.

Twilight groaned, but reluctantly obeyed. She was a very disciplined little filly.

The door closed behind the two, and Celestia allowed herself a victorious smile. Finding both colts could easily eat up an hour, and Twilight could easily spend the rest of the afternoon trying to teach them. It would be long enough to handle her uninvited guest.

Her smile had long since faded, replaced by a dignified expression, when she reached the throne room, going through one of the many backdoors to which Celestia and Luna alone had the secret at the Palace. From some place unseen above the throne, Celestia materialized, gliding gracefully down to her seat.

The three dragons waiting did not look impressed by her elegant appearance. While they were not the largest dragons, in order for them to fit inside these walls, they were still good-sized and imposing. She could hear their low growls from across the room, each dragon glaring at her guards. Her guards returned the glare in kind.

She did not need this to spiral into a brawl.

“Leave us,” Celestia commanded quietly. “I’ll talk with them alone.”

The guards looked at each other, the dragons, and Celestia. Not wanting to risk upsetting their monarch or the emissaries, they quickly left, but not before shooting the dragons one last look, as if silently warning them to remain civil before the Princess of the Sun.

“I’ll dispense with the pleasantries,” said Celestia, once she had her guests to herself. “I’m sure you all have better places to be than the ponylands. What does the Dragon Lord wish?”

“Lord Torch wishes to discuss why dragonslayers invaded our kingdom and smashed an egg.”

The color drained from Celestia’s face as her stomach twisted into knots. “Oh.”

She took a deep breath, forcing herself not to show shock, or dismay, or any other emotion she’d dearly want to show upon hearing that a child was murdered. To her, such a show may be decency, but while the dragons were passionate creatures, she knew they had different standards than ponies. A show of compassion would not endear her to them. People who prided themselves on strength disdained pity.

“And where does Torch want to meet?”

“Sardior's Pit. He’ll be waiting.”

Celestia nodded. “Sardior’s Pit. Let me escort you three out of the castle. They’ll be less of a commotion.”

The moment the emissaries were outside the Palace walls and took to the skies, Celestia swiftly returned back inside to prepare. At least Twilight would be happy to know she was going to have access to the archives for several whole days now.


The Dragon Lord and his entourage had waited nearly a week in Sadir’s Pit, and slowly were starting to lose patience. The only saving grace were the messengers that Torch had employed as intermediaries. Twice daily, these messengers would come to give the dragons news of their families. This helped ease their minds and steel their nerves for the coming of Princess Celestia

Much to Torch’s dismay, Blaze had declined additional protection. Not because she was still mad at him, rather, it was just so she could keep the children calm. After all, if everything was fine, and Smog was there just to ease Flare’s mind, why should there be further need for protection?

Not just that, but Ember’s reaction to their presence had been a rather humorous response.

The messenger sighed. “She said that we weren’t needed, because she already had a paladin.”

“I never assigned her a paladin. Who–?” Torch’s eyes went wide, before scowling when he heard Flare lightly chuckle. He muttered that the messengers were dismissed, then he grumbled a quiet order to Flare, silencing his dragon. “Keep in mind, not everyone can spare a laugh, Ironscale.”

Kalamet had secluded himself from the rest of the group, hovering over the broken eggshell.

He’d barely moved an inch since arriving, barely eaten a single gem. Tears kept steadily streaming down his cheeks. He would lash out if he heard them laughing or joking with one another. None of them took his anger towards them personally, as they only needed to imagine the egg being one of theirs to understand where he was coming from. After all, their laughter and joy came from their children, the very source of Kalamet’s sorrow.

However, there was another source of anger. The bound equine.

There was a teenage dragon assigned to each pony, all under strict orders to make sure nothing happened to the ponies, accidentally or otherwise, until after Celestia and Torch had parlayed. The reward for doing so was a small mound of gems each. Failure meant death, simply because any other punishment meant nothing to dragons who would love to kill a slayer, be it a sense of justice or some form of twisted pleasure.

Torch didn’t know how Celestia would react if her detained subjects were executed without a trial. He feared no dragon, but Celestia was no dragon. He didn’t even fully believe she was an equine. Legends had it that she and her sister were aspects of the red-maned alicorn herself, given flesh. How was anyone to fight something like that? He’d also heard the rumors, and if any of them were true, he could only imagine what Celestia would do to his people, even if those she’d fought were a night-demon that her sister had become and a wretched king of darkness.

Such a cold and calculating monarch would have no issues commanding her armies to attack them, their caves and worst of all, the nursery.


It was pointless for her to feel responsible, but that didn’t stop Celestia from wondering what she could have done to stop the smashing of an egg. The answer was nothing, and part of her hated it only slightly less than the reason for her trip.

“Dragonslayers,” Celestia seethed as she made her way through the scorching wastes of the Dragonlands. “Are they trying to start a war?”

After the emissaries had departed, she’d then spent hours overseeing foundry work, melting down all mithril spears in her military armory into mithril ingots.

Platinum, she’d said to herself. That was the dragon term for mithril. A curious cultural juxtaposition, given the name of a famed princess of the old Unicorn Kingdom. In any case, the prepared ingots had been tossed in a chest and carried by her most loyal and trusted guards. It couldn’t bring the child back, but it was something.

‘Blood money’, was the grim reflection Celestia didn’t want to hear at the back of her mind.

She was followed by several armored stallions, though not too large of a group, only enough to show she could fight if need be. Dragons were volatile at times. Any number of things threatened to set them off on a good day. Showing up with an army, after her subjects had invaded their lands? She’d be shocked if there wasn’t a call for blood. She prayed the gifts she prepared could calm the dragons, if only slightly.

Celestia took a deep breath. She would get through this, most everyone would return home, and both ponies and dragons alike should be able to put this awful tragedy behind them. Not that some of the troops shared her concerns. They were too busy bragging about how easy it’d be to take on a dragon, how glorious it would be to fell one in combat.

She’d never heard anything more foolhardy in her life. They thought this was a game. That everyone had hit points, and dragons gave them a turn to swinging their swords. Fighting a dragon was a fool's errand, Celestia knew that as fact. Torch and his subjects were likely itching for a fight with Equestria now. She was confident that if war broke out Equestria would prevail, but at what cost? The dragons could reduce their nation to ash if given the chance, leaving the survivors with a kingdom of dust. Scores of ponies would be felled before even one dragon would meet their end. She herself would need to be on the front lines just for them to have a chance.

No matter what, Celestia needed to keep the dragons, Torch especially, appeased. He was a dragon, and thus she didn’t want to know what they were capable of.


Air Break didn’t mind the chains too much, because he’d be out of them by the end of the day.

His crew, who cared? They’d flubbed this mission so badly that not only couldn’t they kill a few overgrown lizards and take a damned egg, they’d got captured and one of them smashed the target. That pony was currently a smear on a cavern floor. To make matters worse, the teenagers jeered and cursed at them, threw rocks and stones at their backs until a glare from one of the older dragons made them stop, and seemed to relish in telling them that after the ‘wimpy pony princess’ came, they would be torn apart. All he heard was the jabbering of teenagers. To respond with anything other than an eye-roll showed how in control a stallion was of himself.

None of that mattered though, because he had a plan to get out of this scott-free, live the rest of his days working, drinking, and shaking up with a couple of cute mares. All it would cost him was the other members of his crew. He wanted to chuckle to himself. The price might as well have been free.

A horn blared, drawing the attention of everyone present. Air Break allowed himself a small smile.

“Lads, bring those equines forward,” Torch ordered. “Next to me.” They obeyed without hesitation, leading some, dragging others to the proper point.

Celestia and her company descended into the quarry, with the princess leading. She soon reached the bottom and wasted no time approaching Torch, who straightened up, as if trying to appear even bigger than he already was. Their eyes met, and they both slightly tensed, each wondering what the other would do. The scorching air nipped at their skin and rasped at their throats with every breath they took, before finally, Celestia stopped, as did her guards.

“Lord Torch,” Celestia said, bowing her head.

“Princess Celestia,” Torch greeted, doing the same.

“You said that there were dragonslayers, and a broken egg. I assume that these are them?” She gestured towards the chained ponies.

“They are all that remain.”

“There were others?”

“There were. They assaulted a family, my subjects, and were killed for their troubles. Let’s not forget the main reason we are here, Celestia, your subjects speared a boy and an egg,” Torch said plainly.

No need to sugarcoat it. Dragons were attacked, and so they fought back. Celestia said nothing, silently contemplating what move to make next.

“Say something,” spoke a voice.

Kalamet slithered forth and got in front of Torch.

“Kalamet, know your place–”

“No,” Celestia interrupted. “Let him talk. Who am I speaking to?”

“Kalamet Steelspine,” said he. “Your subjects murdered my child.” His large claws gently placed the remains of the before the princess.

Celestia had to fight to keep her bile down. She wasn’t just looking at a broken egg. This had been a child waiting for their time to be born, to gaze upon the world. Yet, here they were before they could even form, dead. She took a deep breath to calm herself.

“You have my apologies. Truly.”

“I don’t want your empty platitudes,” Kalamet spat. “Why did your subjects murder my child?”

“That’s what I intend to find out.” Celestia looked at each of the chained equines. Although most of them were quaking, one lone stallion seemed cool as a cucumber. “Torch, have you questioned them?”

The Dragon Lord placed a hand on Kalamet’s shoulder, giving him a look.

Kalamet obtemperated, albeit reluctantly. “No. They were kept bound and gagged, unless fed.”

“Allow me, then. After that, you and I can discuss a suitable punishment.” Celestia’s horn ignited, and the captured stallions’ chains were taken from the dragons. With a single powerful tug acting as her command, the stallions stepped forward, sweat dripping down their foreheads, mouths as dry as the Dragonlands themselves. “Which one of you would like to speak first?”

The one stallion who seemed unafraid quickly stepped forward, almost eagerly.

Celestia unbound his muzzle, and allowed him to move his jaw for the first time that day. “Let us make this quick. State your name, and why you came here.”

“Name’s Air Break,” the stallion said calmly. “The pegasus there is Kickback, the unicorn is Blitz Bolt, the two earth ponies are Bracer and Anvil. We came here cos’ we were hired to get an egg for a collector and were promised a substantial reward for our efforts. The cave we attacked was the farthest cave from all the other dragons, and the closest to Equestria's border. Given that it had an egg, the thing we were hired to get, it guaranteed that we’d hit it. We never intended to break the damn thing, that was an honest mistake. That’s it, Princess.”

His comrades could only give him a very confused look. He hadn’t lied, and that was what worried them. Perhaps he had a plan? They waited to see what he would say next. However, he remained silent.

There was no part of the story, his cavalier attitude, that didn’t disgust and anger Celestia. There was fury in her eyes. The stallion was so matter-of-fact about his actions, it was like he was describing how he pulled out a weed in his yard. Her body shook, but she kept her body calm, she had to.

“Mistake,” she echoed, seething. “A child is dead, and another is injured. That is more than a mistake. Do any of you have anything to add?”

None of the stallions offered to speak. They believed Air Break had a plan to save them, they just needed to wait.

“Then that’s it.” Celestia said. “Kalamet, was it? I know you don’t want to hear this again, but I apologize for what befell you and your family. I know this won’t make up for it, but please, accept this offering of platinum as a token of peace.”

On cue, two stallions of the Guard placed down the chest and opened it to reveal its contents.

Kalamet’s eyes narrowed, and his tail smacked the chest away in frustration, the tip of his tail nearly hitting Celestia, who remained as calm and collected as when she first arrived. The platinum scattered about the quarry, and the chest shattered. Her guards began to rush forward, but stopped when Celestia extended her wing, shaking her head at them.

“Kalamet, control yourself!” Torch snarled. “Else, we will make you control yourself.” Flare, Razor and Golem all began to step forward. They could empathize with his plight, they understood his hatred for ponies. However, he was dealing with Princess Celestia herself. Hurting her could bring war, and they knew what that would mean for both sides. Blood.

“Please, Torch, he’s angry, and he has a right to be. Let him speak,” Celestia requested.

Torch was dumbfounded by the deathwish Celestia seemed to display, but allowed it, motioning for the others to be ready if Kalamet lost control again.

Celestia looked at Kalamet, with a dawning look of remorse. “Sir, what is it you want?”

“I want justice for my family, my children. Not metal, not apologies, not your righteousness.”

Celestia let out a sigh. She knew what that meant. It meant throwing the stallions to them for execution.

She dreaded the thought of sending any of the prisoners to their deaths. They were criminals to be sure, but they were also ponies. Sons, husbands, lovers, ponies with a small spark of light somewhere in them, or so she believed. Killing them would snuff that light out permanently.

There had been times where killing villains would have been the most prudent and understandable course of action. Her sister, Tirek, even Sombra. But every time, Celestia had stilled her hoof, sparing them in some way or another. It also helped that she’d been in control of their fates. It was Equestria that they’d wronged, and she was the guardian of Equestria. Deep down, she hoped to help them, that someday in the future, they could be changed, reformed.

Here it was not so. She and the villains were interlopers here. She had no power to decide their fates, not without incurring the wrath of a dragon. What would Kalamet do if she did demand their release? He would call for war. Would Torch want it? Most likely not. The better question was if Torch was needed. How powerful would Kalamet’s rallying cry be? How many parents like him would flock to him, how many dragons would be willing to attack them? How many dragons would it take to harm her subjects? The better question was, how much damage could just two or three dragons do?

She must have been silent for a long time, judging by the look of wrath that Kalamet had. She wanted to argue for their release, every fiber of her being was screaming to make a case for them, but it was futile. She couldn’t think of an argument.

“Then you will have it,” Celestia said, hiding the sorrow shrieking to be heard. “Torch, they are yours.”

The sentence was bordering on cruel, but the criminals were in the Dragonlands, and had committed crimes against dragons. It was only just that dragons carried out the punishment, as much as she personally detested what the punishment would be.

“Are you sure about that, Princess?” Air Break asked. “Because I think you overlooked one detail, the one where we were hired by someone, and do you want to know something funny? This is the second time they’ve tried to get an egg.”

Celestia stopped mid-step. It had to be a lie. If this had been the second time, why had no one heard about the first? Torch fared no better fear and anger welled up inside of him. Their minds began to race, and the monarchs could only think of one thing to say.

“Who hired you?” they asked the stallion in unison.

Air Break grinned. “Get me out of here, and I’ll think about talking.”

A captive, the pegasus, began to squeal, squirming in his bonds. Celestia quickly undid his muzzle, permitting him to breathe. “You mean us, right?” Kickback asked. He watched as his boss silently kept eyes on Celestia, “Boss, you mean us, right?”

“You will not release any of them!” Kalamet shouted, slamming his claws on the ground.

Instantly, Golem and Razor grabbed hold of the dragon before he could do anything else. He roared, breathing fire into the air as he was pulled back.

“Guy should learn to read the room,” Air Break tutted, “I’m the only one that’s gonna weasel out of this. He still gets the others.”

The pegasus paled. “What? Boss–”

“Shut it, Kickback. You lot flubbed this job. I’m not gonna go down for your incompetence.” He turned to Celestia, and smirked. “So, what’s it gonna be, Princess? It’s either I give you the name of my employer and he takes my place here, or I hang, and then everyone waits another few years for a third attempt. Because they want an egg, and will pay anything to get it.”

“Why can’t I just take one of them instead?” Celestia knew this stallion was a snake; she deeply wished for anyone else to be of use. But she knew this was a contingency he must have been saving for a time like this. She already knew what he was about to say.

“They don’t know the pony’s name or face. I do.”

“What makes you think I’d agree to something like this?” Torch asked him.

“Simple, they’re patient. They’re not gonna get caught, Princess Sunshine wouldn’t know where to start. So, they’ll just try again in a few years. Say your little girl meets a strapping young lad by then, lays an egg, maybe two. Do you want to risk a group like us aiming for her?”

Torch tried to speak, but images of Ember flooded his mind. He’d seen her hurt before, beaten even. He could easily picture renegades like these stallions creeping from the shadows, spears at the ready to slay Ember, her mate, and then steal her egg. Her child, his grandchild. How was a father supposed to consider taking such a risk? If asked the same question regarding their families, how many dragons would disagree?

The stallion was a simple snake, there were likely hundreds like him, but he didn’t seem stupid. He’d likely never come back to the Dragonlands after this. The one hiring them would try again though, so he was the greater threat.

Letting his head fall, Torch said, sorrow clear in his voice, “Celestia, you may take him, but in exchange, you give us the one that hired them.”

“You have my word,” Celestia agreed.

“Great. Can we start heading out, Princess?” Air Break asked. “It’s so hot out here, the heat might do things to my memory.”

He drew many glares from the ponies and two remaining dragons, but continued grinning. Celestia needed him for one little favor, so he was safe.

“Move out,” Celestia ordered, forcing the stallion's snout back into the muzzle and tightening it. She went ahead of the group out of sheer necessity. Just the mere sight of the stallion now boiled her blood. She’d wanted the criminals to be shown mercy; she despised what she’d got instead.

Kalamet roared and thrashed in Golem and Razor’s grip, cursing Celestia’s name, and Torch’s. Only when they were out of sight, was Kalamet released, allowed to fall to the ground.

“You lot,” Torch pointed to the teenagers. “Get them out of my sight, they’ll be dealt with later.” He turned to Kalamet once the teenagers had carried out the order. “I’ll have someone collect the platinum.”

“I don’t care about that damn metal. You let her take that murderer and leave,” Kalamet sneered, meeting Troch’s gaze.

“It’s a calculated trade,” Torch explained. “Someone tried to get an egg twice, I’m making sure that there is no third time.”

“If that wretch can be trusted.” Kalamet let loose a hollow chuckle. He’d heard the threat that the stallion made, he knew Torch was just worried about his fragile little girl. If it had been Ember speared, had the egg been Torch’s, he knew this would have been different.

Kalamet stood, eyes following the would-be trajectory of the pony princess and the slayer. He took a step forward, only for Torch to lay a hand on him.

“You will not even consider following them. That is an order.”

“And why should I listen to a cowardly, self-serving Lord like you?”

“Is that a challenge?”

Kalamet seemed to shrink, and Torch relaxed himself.

However, Flare’s eyes were locked on Kalamet’s claws. They slowly spread as far as they could, before Kalamet lunged at Torch. Flare’s next action was instinctual. After all, Torch was the Dragon Lord, and Flare was one of his subjects. What he was about to do he’d done time and time again.

It was a game to him, actually. He’d get between dragons, take a swipe meant for someone else, and then see if either wanted to continue, knowing there was a dragon with impenetrable scales.

However, those other dragons were not Steelspines.

Flare pushed Torch back, putting himself in the way of Kalamet’s claws. He felt Kalamet’s claws easily slice through his scales. It didn’t hurt like he thought it would have, at least not until he looked down at his chest. Through blurred vision, Flare saw four claw marks across his chest. He stumbled backwards, trying to find firm footing, only to fall on his side, blood slowly forming a puddle before him.

Kalamet attempted to fly off in an effort to follow Celestia. Yet Torch had regained his wits and, before Kalamet was out of reach, he lunged, grabbed the dragon’s tail, and pulled him back, throwing him onto the ground. Before Kalamet could push himself up, Torch tackled his disobedient subject and delivered blow upon blow to his head until he lost consciousness.

Once the rogue dragon was still, Torch stood. “Get this treasonous wretch out of my sight!” he barked at the other two dragons. He himself turned towards Flare, who lay crumpled on the ground, bleeding and breathing heavily.

“Enough whimpering, Ironscale, you’re a dragon,” Torch said, grabbing Flare by his bicep and wrapping the other’s arm over his neck, speaking with nigh the magical authority he could exercise over dragons as their rightful Lord.

Torch frowned to himself. He could have used the voice on Kalamet and it would have got the dragon back with less fuss, let alone consequence to the faithful Flare. Maybe he hadn't wanted to use it on a grieving father. Maybe his misuse of it on Blaze had left a mark on him.

Shaking his head softly, Torch only told Flare what a Dragon Lord should say.

“You don’t go down to a little claw swipe.”


A day had passed since the meeting with Celestia, but none other than Torch and company knew that. Torch trudged towards Flare’s cave, with the weakened dragon himself leaning on him for support. He’d taken his subject to a shaman. There, Flare’s wounds had been closed with platinum staples, and he had been given a large dose of medicine for pain. It would take a few weeks for him to heal and recover.

“I’ll see to it that Kalamet is punished for this,” Torch grumbled.

“Torch, just let it go. We treat it like a mistake and move on with our lives.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Because Steelspine was right to be angry with you. He wanted all those ponies, but when that slayer gave you a hypothetical, you just thought of your child, and made the trade.”

“And you’d blame me for that?” Torch hissed.

“No,” Flare said in a subdued tone, “because I thought of my children too. I would have made the same trade in a heartbeat.”

“Then why defend him?”

“Because had our children been harmed, would we have liked the trade?” said Flare. “Kalamet is in mourning. It’s hardly been a week since the attack. I’ll call him what he is, an emotional wreck, and an easily triggered one at that. You can add a treasonous wretch to the list. But he’s no Dog of Tiamat. Knowing what he’s been through, Bahamut would have mercy on him. Sardior would show mercy. I was the harmed dragon, and I’m asking for him to be shown mercy. Just this once.”

“Fine,” Torch grunted. “I owe you and your family that least much. Kalamet will lose the gift from Celestia though. He faces some punishment for this.”

“You can think of that on your own time though. I just want to see my family.”

That was a sentiment that Torch could agree with.