• Published 2nd Aug 2020
  • 2,044 Views, 156 Comments

The Open Road - Krickis



After she marries Twilight and Fluttershy, nopony will stop talking about Sunset Shimmer. What was once her fondest wish has become a constant strain, so the three wives decide to get away from it all on a road trip through the human world.

  • ...
11
 156
 2,044

6 – The Past

Chapter Six
The Past


The whole experience was surreal in more ways than one. First off, there was the fact that they were at a sold-out show for a band that Sunset had seen form. It had been four years since Sunset had last seen Bitchette, and back then they were just some local band that no one knew about.

Even stranger was that she was watching Rainbow Dash. She wondered what Rainbow would think if she knew Sunset was in the audience. It had been four years, more than enough time to bury the hatchet, but it was still a worrying thought. Of course, Rainbow didn’t know she was there, and she played an energetic show for the enthusiastic audience.

But the most surreal part of the experience was knowing that Fluttershy was backstage. Her ex-girlfriend, the woman she was going to marry and raise a child with, the life that could’ve been. It wasn’t that Sunset still wanted to make things work with her – and even if she did, it wasn’t like there was any chance of that happening. But there was always that lingering feeling of regret that things turned out the way they did.

Well, it was almost time to try to make up for that. The band was already performing their encore, so any minute now they’d be finished and those with backstage passes could go back to meet with them.

“Thanks for coming out!” Rainbow announced. “We have one more for you tonight. Anyone got a request?”

The crowd started cheering out song titles, with one in particular ringing louder than all the others. ‘Your Impatience’, a song Sunset remembered from their early days which the video at the wax museum had said was their breakthrough song.

“Yeah, that’s what I thought,” Rainbow said with a cocky grin. She played the opening chords of the song on her guitar, and the crowd cheered wildly.

Sunset felt a hand find hers and turned to see Fluttershy. No doubt she knew what was on Sunset’s mind, so Sunset showed her a smile to try and portray a confidence she didn’t feel. It was too loud to talk over the music, so Sunset just stepped closer to her wife.

The song wasn’t a long one, but it felt like it went on forever. The whole time, Sunset’s mind raced with the different ways this meeting could go. It was going to be awkward, there was no doubt there. But it could be a good kind of awkward where neither of them knew exactly what to say, but where they both wanted to start over.

That was the thought Sunset held onto. Starting over wouldn’t be easy, but as long as they both wanted to, they could make it work.

They could make it work. Sunset just had to keep that in mind. Things weren’t so far gone that they couldn’t work out their problems and make up for their past.

The song ended with an explosion of sound as all the band members gave it their all. Sunset was pretty sure this was a new ending over the more toned down ending that the song had once had, possibly something they did since they used it as their show closer. The audience loved it, cheering loudly as the song came to its conclusion.

“Let’s get over to the stage,” Twilight said once the final notes stopped. Sunset nodded and led the way, keeping hold of Fluttershy’s hand so they wouldn’t get separated. Fluttershy did the same with Twilight, who had hold of Spike’s leash. They made their way through the crowd in a chain, keeping together.

It was hard to move through the crowd to get to the stage, but they eventually made it. There was a line of people with backstage passes going in, being checked off by a bouncer as they made it to the door. The group got in place in the line and kept their passes ready.

When they reached the bouncer, he gave Spike an uncertain look. Spike was wearing his service dog vest as well as a pair of dog ear muffs to protect his ears from the loud noises, and he was pressing tightly against Twilight’s legs, taking up as little space as possible just like he was told to do. In the end, the bouncer just checked their passes and let them through without any issues.

Once they were backstage, they immediately looked around for anyone they recognized. All they saw were fans mingling at first, then Sunset noticed there was one place the fans seemed to be congregating. “The band must be over there.”

“Do you want to go up and see them?” Twilight asked.

“I… I don’t know,” Sunset admitted. She was here to see Fluttershy, and while the band could point her in the right direction, there was also a chance that seeing them would go poorly.

“It’ll be okay,” Fluttershy said. “Remember we’re here for you.”

Sunset nodded. “Yeah. Suppose there’s no way around it, let’s see if we can see the band.”

Before they could take a step, however, they heard a voice calling after them. “Twilight! I didn’t know you were coming!”

They turned to see Lemon Zest making her way over towards them, but she stopped short when she saw Sunset. “Wait… aren’t you…?” She furrowed her brow when she saw Fluttershy. “And Shy, your hair… what’s going on here?”

Sunset took a deep breath. “Hey, Lemon Zest. We’re… well, I’m here to see Fluttershy. I wanted to apologize.”

“You’re… you’re not Twilight and Fluttershy are you?” she said to the others. “Or not the ones from this world, anyway.”

“What’s going on?” someone else asked, walking up to them. Sunset didn’t recognize her as anyone other than Bitchette’s bassist, but she was a tall woman with an intimidating aura. “Wait, what the hell? Shy, did you completely change your clothes? And get a wig or something?”

“This isn’t the same Fluttershy, Gilda,” Lemon Zest explained. “This is the one from Equestria.”

Gilda huffed. “Great, we’re back on that.”

“I’m serious.” Lemon Zest nodded towards Sunset. “And this is Sunset Shimmer.”

“What the fuck, like Fluttershy’s ex?”

“Yeah.”

“Shit. Look, what the hell are you doing here?”

It made sense that they were skeptical of her. Sunset would just have to impress on them that she had good intentions. “I’m here to see Fluttershy. I want to make up for the past, start over as friends. Mainly I just want to tell her I’m sorry.”

Gilda’s eyes turned towards Fluttershy, no doubt still trying to piece together that this wasn’t the Fluttershy she knew. She frowned and turned away from them. “Oi, Dash, get over here.”

“What’s up, G?” Rainbow called from somewhere else.

“Just get your ass over here!”

Twilight took a step forward. “My name’s Twilight Sparkle. You might have met my double before, she used to go to school with Lemon Zest?”

Gilda arched an eyebrow and didn’t answer.

“Well anyway, what I wanted to say is that we aren’t trying to cause any trouble. But it’s been four years since your world’s Fluttershy and Sunset broke up, and we thought it would be good for them to talk things over and help each other get a little bit of closure.”

“You couldn’t have, I don’t know, called?” Lemon Zest asked. “Maybe sent an email or some shit?”

“I did think of that, I know Applejack or Pinkie could’ve called her for me.” Sunset scratched at the back of her head. “But… I was afraid she would turn it down without a second thought, and I really think it would be better for both of us to finally get the chance to talk.”

“Because you always know what’s right for her, don’t you?” Rainbow asked as she walked up. She folded her arms and glared at Sunset. “Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t have security come kick you out right fucking now.”

“Because… I’m sorry. That’s what I’m here to say, I want to apologize for forcing her to choose between me and her dreams.”

Rainbow shrugged. “Great, I’ll pass along your message and if she wants to see you, she can reach out to you next time we’re in Everton.”

Sunset frowned, unsure of what to say. Thankfully, Twilight stepped in. “But can’t you pass the message along now and that way if she wants to see Sunset she can without having to wait? If she says she doesn’t want to see us, we’ll go.”

“You’re right, Sunset shouldn’t have assumed she knew what was right for her,” Fluttershy said. “But you can’t assume you know what’s right for her either. I know that’s something the Rainbow Dash in my world used to struggle with when I first started dating Twilight, and it only ever caused problems.”

Rainbow glared at them. They never found out what her answer would’ve been, because they were seen by the only person whose opinion on the subject really mattered.

“Sunny?”

Sunset’s whole body went slack as she saw Fluttershy standing before her, looking as different as possible from the Fluttershy beside her. Her once long beautiful hair was cut short and ragged, and she wore ripped jeans and a black tank top that showed off the tattoos that now covered her arms. One had a sleeve of butterflies going up her arm and surrounding the Bitchette band logo at the top, the other had a sun on her shoulder that represented Sunset and the love they had once shared.

“Shy…” Sunset realized her mouth was hanging open, so she closed it. She scratched at the back of her head, but she couldn’t take her eyes off her ex-girlfriend. “So, uh… long time no see?”

“What…” Fluttershy shook her head. “What the fuck are you doing here?”

Despite the swear, Fluttershy’s voice wasn’t angry. Just surprised. That was okay, good even. Surprise was expected, and that was something they could move on from. “I came to see you. I… wanted to say I’m sorry. Is it okay if… can we talk?”

Fluttershy frowned, the first indication of how she felt. “Come on. The dressing room is over here, the two of us can talk there.”

The two of them – Fluttershy wanted to speak with Sunset alone. She turned to her wives, unsure of what to say.

She found them both smiling at her. “Go on, we’ll be fine,” Twilight said.

Fluttershy nodded. “This is what we were hoping for. Go talk to her.”

Sunset swallowed a lump in her throat and nodded, then took a step away from her wives. Gilda and Lemon Zest let her pass, but Rainbow put a hand on her shoulder when she went to walk past her. She didn’t say anything, but she held Sunset’s eyes for a moment and wordlessly made her point clear. ‘Don’t screw this up.’

Rainbow let go of Sunset, who followed after Fluttershy. She led them into a small room, which was empty of any prying eyes or ears, then she turned to Sunset. “Okay, so what the hell do you want?”

Okay, now Fluttershy sounded angry. Sunset shifted nervously in place. While this wasn’t the reaction she wanted, it wasn’t a surprise. “Like I said, I wanted to say I’m sorry. I… wasn’t always fair to you when we were together.”

“You think? You tried to get me to give up on the one thing I managed to do all by myself!”

“I know.” Sunset held up her hands. “And I was wrong, and I’m glad you stuck with it.”

“Of fucking course you’re glad!” Fluttershy threw out her hands. “You got to go off to a magical land where you’re rich and famous and have two supportive wives. Your life turned out fucking perfect once I wasn’t in it anymore!”

“Whoa, hold on.” Sunset shook her head. “It’s not like that! And things aren’t perfect for us. Yeah I know we’re lucky in a lot of ways, but it’s not like it’s been easy.”

“Oh really?” Fluttershy took a step forward and raised her voice some more. “Tell me, Sunny. Tell me all about how difficult it’s been for you, because you wouldn’t fucking believe what my life has turned into since you left me!”

Sunset gritted her teeth, trying not to get angry, but finding that to be impossible. “Okay, I was wrong about a lot of things, but you left first. I offered to stick around and wait for you, and you told me not to because you were already seeing someone.”

“I lied, okay!?” Fluttershy turned and took a step away. “I lied about seeing someone because I wanted you to move on. So yeah, I got exactly what I fucking wanted. Yay me.”

“How was I supposed to know that!?” Sunset stepped forward, reclaiming the distance Fluttershy put between them. “I’m so sorry for believing you!”

“Do you want to know what my life has been like since you left?” Fluttershy turned back towards Sunset and pointed at her hair. “Because this? This is nothing compared to the other ways I’ve changed without you.”

Sunset folded her arms. “I’m listening.”

“I sleep with a different girl pretty much every night because if I don’t, I don’t sleep at all. I’m up for days at a time, I drink nonstop, the only thing stopping me from trying to kill myself again is the pills I have to take every god damn day!”

All of that washed over Sunset, but one word in particular stuck out. “Again?”

Fluttershy laughed. “Yeah, that’s right, Sunny! I tried to kill myself because that’s how much my life just fucking sucks! And half the time even with the antidepressants, I still think back on that day and wish I hadn’t thrown up those damn pills.”

“And it’s all my fault?” Sunset asked, half hoping for a real answer one way or the other. ‘Tell me this isn’t my fault, tell me I don’t have to have this on my conscience. Or tell me it is, let me make it up to you.

“I don’t know, but you sure as hell aren’t making it better by showing up unannounced like this! For fuck’s sake, Sunset, what did you expect? I’d just fall into your arms and you could have two of me?”

“No!” Sunset shook her head. What did she expect? “I just wanted to try things over again. Not us, not like being together, just you know, as friends this time. Because I still love –”

They both stood in silence as Sunset’s unexpected declaration hung in the air between them.

“You still love me?” Fluttershy asked doubtfully.

“Well… yes,” Sunset admitted. “Look, it’s not like, you know, a burning love like when I thought we’d spend our lives together. But yes, I still love you. I probably always will.”

“I hate you, Sunset.” Fluttershy folded her arms, covering the sun tattoo as she did. “You were once the best thing that ever happened to me, and now the rest of my life has to struggle to live up to that without you. I hate you so much.”

“Shy, it doesn’t have to be like that. I want us to be friends again, I want to be part of your life again.”

Sunset reached out for Fluttershy’s shoulder, but Fluttershy slapped her hand away. “Did you fucking hear me? I said I hate you! I don’t want you back in my life Sunny, I never want to see your stupid face again! If you really love me, you’ll stay in Equestria. Far far away from me.”

“Shy…”

“Don’t fucking ‘Shy’ me! I’m not yours anymore, and I don’t have to put up with what you want! Just go back to your perfect little pony life. You’ve already got a better version of me waiting out there to cheer you up from the bitch I am in this world anyway.”

“It’s not like –”

“Just go!”

Sunset stood and stared for a minute, then she turned and ran. She left the room, then ran straight for the door. She wasn’t thinking of the others, she just had to get out of there.

“Sunset?” Twilight reached out for her as she ran past, but Sunset couldn’t stop to talk to them right now. Not after everything Fluttershy had said to her.

The venue had emptied out a lot, so she was able to run straight through it, out into the night time air. She stopped once she was out of the venue, some distant part of her reminding her not to run into traffic.

Instead, she placed her face in her hands and she screamed. She walked over to their car and sat down in front of it, and although she willed herself to hold it together, she cried.

Was all that stuff really Sunset’s fault? Had she done that to Fluttershy, the woman she had once loved so dearly? Did Sunset really make things so bad without ever even knowing about it?

And what was she supposed to do now? Fluttershy had been pretty clear that she never wanted to see Sunset again, and that showing up had just made everything so much worse. There was no way she could fix this, so what was she supposed to do?

The questions circled her head with no answers. She wiped at the tears that came unbidden, and asked herself one more question: What the hell was she doing out here alone?

Just as she was asking herself that, she felt someone come up from behind her and lean against her back. Judging by the paws on her shoulders, it was pretty easy to tell who it was.

“I really fucked up, Spike.”

Spike leaned his head on Sunset’s shoulders. “What happened?”

“I… I did a lot more damage to Fluttershy than I ever realized.”

“Well… you can make it better, can’t you?”

Sunset shook her head. “No, I don’t think I can.”

“Oh…” Spike didn’t say anything, but he stayed by Sunset’s side while she dried her eyes.

It didn’t take long for Twilight and Fluttershy to catch up with her as well. When they saw Sunset and Spike, they both kneeled on either side of Sunset. Neither of them asked what happened, they just stayed by her side to support her through it.

It took a few minutes for anyone to speak. “She…” Sunset shook her head. “She said she tried to kill herself…”

“Oh no,” Fluttershy frowned. “Did she say why?”

“It sounded like it was because of me…”

Twilight hugged Sunset tightly. “That was uncalled for. You didn’t do anything to make her do something like that…”

Sunset took a deep, shaky breath, then she let out a small laugh. “I guess I should’ve just called after all. I’m so fucking stupid…”

“You’re not,” Spike said. “You’re really great, Sunset.”

“Yeah, no one thinks you’re stupid,” Twilight said.

“Is there anything we can do to help?” Fluttershy asked.

Sunset shook her head and stood up. “Come on, let’s get out of here.”

Everyone’s eyes were on her. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

Sunset smiled at them all. “I’m sure I will be. Let’s… let’s find a restaurant that’s open late or something. We’re still on vacation, right?”

Twilight looked uncertain. “If you’re sure…”

“I think it’s a great idea,” Fluttershy said. “And it’s what Sunset wants to do.”

Sunset opened the car door and got in, and everyone followed. She paused before starting the engine, looking at everyone around her. Things had gone disastrously bad, but at least she had her loved ones close. And inside the building, she could imagine Fluttershy was surrounded with the band, who were no doubt there to support her like they always had been.

Both of them still had their families to help them through hard times, and that was why they’d both make it through this. This was the end of Sunset and Fluttershy’s story once and for all, but it was just a chapter in each of their lives.

Sunset started the engine, backed out of the parking spot, then drove out into the open road.

Author's Note:

Another story down! Hope you’ve enjoyed this road trip and return to TwiShySet in the spotlight, it was hella hard to write :twilightsheepish:

Next up is The Setting Sun, a story about Sunset's parents, what led to their marriage, and later what led to their divorce. As a side story, it is skippable.

If you want to skip to the next main story, which stars TwiShySet and the next stage in their lives, you can read about that in Acts of Love.

And if you're only interested in the human stories, then the next one up is Coda, which follows human Shy.

I have a Discord server if anyone wants to come hang out (please note that it is a 16+ server, if you are not 16 years old or older please do not join!) :ajsmug:

And to close off this story, I have some end credits music for y’all! Totally optional, of course.

Comments ( 59 )

Well damn. Thats unfortunately about how well I expected it to go. Aaaugh.

Comment posted by Iressa deleted Feb 16th, 2021
JMP
JMP #3 · Sep 6th, 2020 · · ·

...While I didn't think it would go as Sunset hoped it would, I didn't think it would go that badly. Not all of that was fair; Fluttershy hurt Sunset quite a bit too. It's obviously her right to remain angry but...damn, I was really hoping she'd be happier. Because it sounds like the only change between the beginning of "Thicker Than Water" and now is the antidepressants.

Damn dude, ouch.

10422439
lol it was about the only way it could've gone in the circumstances :twilightblush:

10422488
I knew people would be on Sunset's side on this one lol. But I think you're not really looking at it from Shy's perspective here. This was forced on her, she didn't agree to this, she didn't prepare for this, Sunset didn't attempt to get int touch with her or anything. So she reacted badly. A lot of what she said wasn't fair to Sunset to be sure, but she was pissed and she had every right to be, and sometimes people say things out of turn when they're pissed. Glad you otherwise enjoyed the story, but ultimately Shy's bad reaction is (imo) Sunset's fault for how she forced this on her.

10422515
This all might have gone very differently if Sunset had reached out to Shy about this. She panicked because of how unexpected this was, and fight or flight instinct kicked in, and she settled on fight... I think there have been more differences between the start of TTW and now, it's just hard to see because Sunset made this such a bad moment for Shy.

10422567
I think it's hard to base Shy's real feelings off this one exchange because Sunset forced this on her by showing up unannounced. Shy did react poorly, absolutely, but this was a horrible idea on Sunset's part. If she reached out and Shy had the chance to mentally prepare for this, it might have been different.

10422571
lol is what I do :raritywink:

I don't want to know what human Rainbow is gonna do if she gets told this happend.

They need some neutral party as moderator if either of them will ever attempt some kind of reconciliation.

10422585
That would probably help honestly. As for Rainbow, I don't think there's a whole lot she can do, but she'll be fuckin pissed hahaha

Great story .what does the band logo look like?

10422670
Thanks, glad you liked it! I've got no idea on the logo lol, I'm not a visual person so I would have to get someone else to design it if I were ever gonna do anything with it :twilightsheepish:

Sunset definitely had selfish expectations for this. You show up unannounced, in person, and think everything between you two will be wiped away and you'll be friends again? Just...like that? Shy absolutely has a victim complex, and her feelings about Sunset are certainly justified, but I thought for sure after TTW things would've been better.

10422779
I think this would've been much better if Shy had known Sunset was coming. She's pissed, she's panicked, and she's saying things that aren't true as a result. Whether she really believes what she's saying here or not is another matter entirely, though...

😦😦😦all I can say is whoa what the #$%& true sunset should have called but what the $%&#@ humanshy,rainbow's reaction I was expecting but shy's not so much ,she's being a little unfair blaming sunset for everything she's the one that wanted sunset to find someone else,she's the one that drove her away and while I can understand a little of where she's coming from it's unfair to blame sunset for all of her problems she's at least partially to blame for how crappy her life turned out she choose to let it get this bad just as she made the decision to blame sunset for everything, at least sunset was willing to apologize and at least attempt to bury the hatchet and all she did was yell at her,well maybe some day but not today glad pony twilight,shy,and spike were there for her since she didn't get the closure she was looking for. Anyways another great story my friend I'm looking forward to future stories👍👍👍

10422978
I've said this a lot today, but I really think this whole thing would've happened differently if Sunset had called ahead. Giving Fluttershy forwarding would've kept her from panicking, which was why she was so aggressive. She probably doesn't even believe all of what she said, she just said it because she was hurting and lashing out. Not that it's okay or anything, just like ultimately I blame this fuck up on Sunset. Anyway, glad you liked the story, and I hope you'll like what's coming next week just as much!

Oh Sunset you silly billy you. Be sure to write a letter to the princess on what you've learnt about the importance of sending a message preceding your first visit to an ex from a different world in four years.

Guess sunset still has that arrogance/over confidence that things can go right for her if she just has the chance to talk.

Can't see them speaking again, outside of a potential world ending threat thing. (hope Fluttershy doesn't turn evil).

Ahhhhg, I was fooled into thinking there was hope even though they turned up out of nowhere when shy said "sunny" again, and wasn't immediately enraged, and then sunset had her words confidence that she has. I dared to dream.
Then the dream ended.

Well the worst worst thing is that there is no real fix for human Fluttershy. She will get better when she gets better, and all the band can do is try to support her.
I read these in order of release (mostly) and thus decided to try to not get emotionally invested in human shy as there is already another shy as a pony that I liked.
And I did not succeed.

10423251
Lol I think Shy will just always think of her as Sunny no matter what. That said, it pleases me to have deceived you :trollestia:

I'm actually about to start writing a human Shy story that follows up on all this. Expect to see it someday lmao it won't be posted for a while. But I'm glad to see you're more understanding of where Shy is coming from than some others here! I'm not saying she was right, but yeah, Sunset is not smart lol

What's the reading equivalent of a standing ovation?

10423364
Hehe glad you enjoyed it :yay:

lol it was about the only way it could've gone in the circumstances :twilightblush:

It really was. It's a shame that it is and it's obviously painful, but it couldn't really have gone any other way.

Hopefully Fluttershy at least finds a little catharsis in it.

10423575
It'll be a little while before we check in with Shy again, but this meeting will definitely have an impact on her :raritywink:

Ugh, the dread I felt when Lemon Zest of all characters calls into question the decision to arrive unannounced. Still pretty presumptuous on all of you, ponies. A lack of awareness for how Shy, or even anyone else in Bitchette, could be triggered by appearing out of the blue is pretty ignorant, and extremely negligent. Where’s Discord to give Twilight and Fluttershy the ‘you must have seen that coming’ eyebrow?
Still, it closes the Playing House loop, so that’s cool. Onward to greener pastures.
Meanwhile, alt Shimmer and the Sirens are off doing (tracking?) arson magic.

10426592
Yeah, Sunset and company really screwed this one up. I imagine Sunset's wives just assumed Sunset knew what are was doing (never a good assumption).

We'll get back to alt Sunset and the sirens eventually, but not right away. Got a few other stories to tackle first.

kord #24 · Sep 11th, 2020 · · 1 ·

I could swear that Sunset had made efforts before Thicker Than Water to talk to Fluttershy and was always ghosted. Seems to me that Sunset would have just been ignored or told not to come if she has asked beforehand.

Fluttershy and the rest of the band need to get there fucking shit together and get Fluttershy into therapy not have her touring, getting drunk, and hooking up with groupies.

Also someone really needs to point out to Fluttershy that Sunset isn't what's wrong in her life its the the drinking and the fact she was raped by her father. Until she confronts that she's just going to keep blaming Sunset and not getting better.

Seems very unlikely that anything's going to change or get better for Fluttershy though, she's surrounded by enablers who will keep supporting self destructive habits.

I do hope Sunset will just move on and leave Fluttershy in the past. Nothing about Fluttershy's life is her fault, because she was right that Fluttershy should have stayed in Everton and become a veterinarian, she would have never gotten mixed up with the Dazzlings or gotten into the habit of using sex to avoid confronting her past if she had.

Overall another good story, though at this point I could care less about anymore stories from the human world. Just want to read about Sunset and her wives... you know in like a not creepy way...

I was on the fence about if I should even respond to this because frankly I'm tired of all the negativity towards Fluttershy and Bitchette. Don't get me wrong, I fully expected comments like this, but it does feel more than a little unfair to the situation.

I could swear that Sunset had made efforts before Thicker Than Water to talk to Fluttershy and was always ghosted. Seems to me that Sunset would have just been ignored or told not to come if she has asked beforehand.

Sunset tried once, shortly after they broke up, and that try was to invite Fluttershy to Equestria. When the break up was fresh and Sunset was dating two ponies already and one is them looks exactly like Fluttershy. That's kinda a shitty way to try and reach out to someone, then Sunset just dropped like everyone in her old life but Applejack and Pinkie (Flash talks about how he thought they were really close until she got married without even telling him). So tbh, Sunset has a ghosting problem more than Shy.

But yeah, Shy very well might have refused the meeting. That's her prerogative as a grown woman in charge of her own life. The fact that Sunset knew she would refuse the meeting (she says as much when asked why she showed up unannounced) makes it so much worse, because she's forcing Shy into a situation she'd refuse. It shouldn't be surprising given Shy's past abuse that she has problems when she's forced to lose control of her own life like this.

Fluttershy and the rest of the band need to get there fucking shit together and get Fluttershy into therapy not have her touring, getting drunk, and hooking up with groupies.

She's in therapy. That was a condition of her continuing touring. On that note, when they tried to remove her from the tour, she tried to kill herself. It may not be healthy, but she genuinely feels like this is all she has and you think they should take that away from her? The third to last chapter of Thicker Than Water is literally an intervention, they're not enabling her, they're trying to softly make a change because when they tried to force a change (again, she has major problems when her life is forced out of her control) she tried to kill herself.

Also someone really needs to point out to Fluttershy that Sunset isn't what's wrong in her life its the the drinking and the fact she was raped by her father. Until she confronts that she's just going to keep blaming Sunset and not getting better.

This is the most true thing you've said. Shy was in the wrong here, Sunset isn't the cause of her problems. But she's lashing out because she's pissed and panicked, and that is Sunset's fault.

I do hope Sunset will just move on and leave Fluttershy in the past. Nothing about Fluttershy's life is her fault, because she was right that Fluttershy should have stayed in Everton and become a veterinarian, she would have never gotten mixed up with the Dazzlings or gotten into the habit of using sex to avoid confronting her past if she had.

While I agree Sunset should just move on now, it's not at all true to say nothing in Shy's life is Sunset's fault. And while she was in a way right that Shy should've stayed in Everton (it was the more financially stable option), that wasn't what was right for Shy. Sunset was trying to control her life (running theme here) by forcing her into the job that Sunset wanted her to be in. Plus you know, speaking of enablers, Sunset and Shy were enablers to each other about alcoholism, and there was all the fighting, much of which was shown to be Sunset's fault.

I’ve been both Fluttershy and Sunset in the final chapter. I got to live both sides of that situation once upon a time. I think what’s great about your stories is that they don’t always show progress as an upward slope. They show the stumbles and the regressions. The lashing out and ill-thought out gestures. Thoughtlessly stumbling in to a volitile situation and taking out your anger on someone trying their best. Very real.

10437696
Glad to hear from someone who's seeing things from both sides here. And yeah, progress is never just an upward path, I love showing all the stumbles along the way a lot.

Waited so long for the Sunset- Fluttershy reunion, just to watch Sunset fumble is so spectacularly.
Can safely say that Sunset did one hell of an oopsie....

10485649
Ya done fucked up, Sunset! :twilightangry2:

I get nervous when people comment on this chapter since so many people tore into Fluttershy here, so I'm glad to see someone seeing how badly Sunset goofed on this one (not saying Shy's blameless, some of what she said was uncalled for, but yeah Sunset really screwed up here)

10485691
its clearly a complicated relationship, thats why i was so excited to see them talk again. sunset didn't think things through and Fluttershy had all her pent up anger come out at once, i wouldnt blame her for a natural reaction.
im surprised she actually spoke to her, instead of having security just chuck her out.

10485909
Yeah, although I wonder if it would've worked out better for them if she did just throw Sunset out lmao

10485921
mistakes were made.

10496383
Glad you're enjoying these fun side stories. I wish I had done more tone controlling stories in the series, followed heavy stories with fun stories to give readers more of a relief. I didn't think of doing that until writing Playing House when even I was burnt out by the constant drama, and even then PH is followed chronologically by Finding Home which is another drama one (though not as bad as PH).

10496417
Come on, it's still a Krickis story! Gotta get some feels in there :scootangel:

As for why it's harder, I just struggle with writing happier stories. I'm good at drama, it's what I do. I can write a drama story quickly and easily, because I'm motivated by the twisting emotions and getting to what comes next. With a more fun story, it's just harder for me to get into that headspace to write, say, a beach adventure. I did enjoy writing the ending conversation between Fluttershy and Spike, though.

10496427
Oh gosh yeah I hate when people cram real people names into the stories, which admittedly I did with Jesus specifically so I could keep using the name as an exclamation. But generally it's more fun to think of MLP names for the characters I think. And congrats, you're the first person to catch every wax figure reference!

10496497
She's actually been in the series before. She was the POV character for the epilogue of Looking Glass in which she's possessed by the exorcised demon Sunset based on a headcanon that will be expanded on in time. She'll be a main character of a future story, and it's not terribly far off either.

10496514
Usually they focus on closure because someone says to me "Hey, you should've given more closure to this plot point" and I grumble about it and write a novella to close it up lmao. And yeah, I've got some big plans for Luna and Flutters :raritywink:

This was a hard-hitting chapter, but a much-needed one. I've been on both the side of Sunny and Flutters here, but mostly Flutters. There's a lot of hope and pain here, and it's just pitch-perfect without ruining the tune of the story. I really enjoyed this romp through the two sides of the mirror. These four (soon to be five since there's a Sunny story next) all work really well for the idea of compiling them into print. Maybe under the title of Life in Pieces or something similar? Since they're about picking up the pieces of life? Haha geddit?

I'm mega-hype to see what happens next on each side of the mirror. Why'd you let me catch up like this, Bun?

Also, what's with each Fluttershy representing the two sides of the lesbian fashion spectrum there, huh?

10496555
GLad you enjoyed despite the drama ending. This story was in my head for ages and it was one I never knew if I would actually get to, but I'm glad I did. There's followups to both sides of the mirror coming, first in the pony side with Acts of Love coming on Sunday, and then the human side with Coda coming in January. Also I really like your title idea, I might use that for the collected book! Thank you for the suggestion :yay:

lmao I hadn't even thought of that re: the two Shys but you're absolutely right

10496541
Glad you're enjoying these fun side stories. I wish I had done more tone controlling stories in the series, followed heavy stories with fun stories to give readers more of a relief. I didn't think of doing that until writing Playing House when even I was burnt out by the constant drama, and even then PH is followed chronologically by Finding Home which is another drama one (though not as bad as PH).
I think it was harder to do this until there was a backlog of stories. Looking at the chronological order, there's clearly a lot of stories there to read in-between the drama, they just had to come out first. But it really feels like there's a ton of earning your happy ending here.

As for why it's harder, I just struggle with writing happier stories. I'm good at drama, it's what I do. I can write a drama story quickly and easily, because I'm motivated by the twisting emotions and getting to what comes next. With a more fun story, it's just harder for me to get into that headspace to write, say, a beach adventure. I did enjoy writing the ending conversation between Fluttershy and Spike, though.

Writing for me is somewhat similar! I can't do comedy as a genre well, but I could write, let's say, comedy in context. A romcom or something. But I find little bits of sad, spooky, and drama come to me quickly and generally shape themselves into self-contained ideas more while I have tones of other ideas that have positive/neutral emotional charge that just can't outline themselves, dammit. I absolutely adore earn-your-happy ending stuff though!

Oh gosh yeah I hate when people cram real people names into the stories, which admittedly I did with Jesus specifically so I could keep using the name as an exclamation. But generally it's more fun to think of MLP names for the characters I think. And congrats, you're the first person to catch every wax figure reference!

I feel so accomplished. I'd say that there's leeway for one name, especially if it is the name of an ancient figure. MLP has straight-up used those before, and MLP fanfics are even more guilty of that (particularly with pagan stuff).

She's actually been in the series before. She was the POV character for the epilogue of Looking Glass in which she's possessed by the exorcised demon Sunset based on a headcanon that will be expanded on in time. She'll be a main character of a future story, and it's not terribly far off either.
OH FUCK THAT IS RIGHT I FORGOT IT HAS BEEN SO LONG HOW COULD I FORGET THINGS ARE OBVIOUSLY HAPPENING O HECK OH FUCK

Usually they focus on closure because someone says to me "Hey, you should've given more closure to this plot point" and I grumble about it and write a novella to close it up lmao.

i NEED MORE NOVELLAS PLEASE AND THANK YOUUUUU

And yeah, I've got some big plans for Luna and Flutters :raritywink:

THIS THIS THIS IN PARTICULAR I NEED THIS ONE PLEASE

10496571
THAT SOON OH MY GOSH

10496584

i NEED MORE NOVELLAS PLEASE AND THANK YOUUUUU

Coda is a novella, but first is Acts of Love, which is a novel. Though it's probably the least drama-filled novel I ever wrote. Not to say it's a fluff fic (I've read a whole fluff drama and it was fuckin boring; fluff fics need to be short and sweet imo) but there's a lot more happy in it than most of my novels.

THIS THIS THIS IN PARTICULAR I NEED THIS ONE PLEASE

lol that'll be coming in Acts of Love. Or at least starting in Acts of Love and continuing into another story :raritywink:

Speakig of, Acts of Love is also updating twice a week, so maybe it'll update fast enough for you to keep up with it while it's publishing lmao

10496597
Oh gooooosh this just makes me so happy ;~;

Well, I have to say, Human Fluttershy is a dick. Glad Sunset isn't with her anymore. Good riddance.

This one was incredibly hard to read at the end. Both Sunset and Fluttershy were in the wrong, and they both hurt each other, but I can't help but think that Fluttershy was more in the wrong. She forced Sunset to move on, she lied to her, she got what she was asking for.

It sucks to see them both hurt that much, and this was a moment long coming, but it was painful to see it happen. Glad that Fluttershy has Bitchette, and I'm glad that Sunset has her wives.

10536163
Perhaps Fluttershy was more wrong in the past (I'm not convinced she was, I think it was more complicated than one or the other being clearly in the wrong), but ultimately this happened because Sunset forced her presence on Fluttershy. Although most of the commenters seem content to blame Fluttershy here, I'll forever be sticking up for her lol

But yeah, the two of them each have their own support group now, and they're pretty much better off away from one another.

I really do think that both Shy and Sunset are at fault for their relationship falling apart l, but Shy really did give it the final blow. As much pain as she has gone through I do think is unfair of her to blame Sunset the way she did. I know they could never be friends like Sunset waned but I had hope they would at least get closure

Thanks for the fic!

10565617
I agree that Shy was very informative to Sunset here, but Sunset showing up unannounced and bringing her wives triggered her, so Shy's overly critical reaction here was also partly on Sunset as well.

10565622
Yeah that’s very true, I don’t think Sunset really could have done it any other way though

10565652
True, but if Sunset reached out to Fluttershy via AJ or something, and Shy said no she didn't want to see her, then wouldn't that be Shy's right to make that decision? She's a grown woman, she has the right to decide who she will and won't see. Sunset knowing she'd say no and then doing it anyway to take her decision away from her makes it way worse, in my opinion. None of this is to say Shy shouldn't have said all the things she said, she was way out of line, but this is, in my mind, another situation where they're both at fault.

Wow what an ending! I've been binge reading the entire series this week. (just finished this one).
I must say that I much prefer pony shy to the human one.
From day one of her doomed relationship with sunset she was using her, in much the same way she is now using the groupies.
She broke up with sunset (both times). Lied to her about finding someone else (just after dumping her the second time) and now has the bare faced audacity to be pissed at sunset for managing to crawl out of the pit that shy left her in. My sympathy for her is now around nonexistent and what ever crap you want to throw her way in the remainder of the series will be karma bitch slapping her and well deserved. Her whole poor me shtick is an excuse to treat everyone else badly. I'm glad that sunset has twilight and fluttershy. She made the effort to rebuild her life and at least she is with ponies who actually return her love without ulterior motives and support her in her battle to be a better pony. Human shy can go get herpes from a groupie and drink herself into the ground for all I care about her now.


Now that my rant is over, I would like to say that this series has been amazingly well-written, capturing such intense emotion and passing it straight to the reader (probably explains why I am so pissed at shy lol)

Many kudos to the author, I can't wait to see what happens next (just please be kind (as much as you ever are to your characters lol ;) to sunset and her wives)

Sunset.....showing up like that? No no no. You may have wanted to see Shy, but it's not all about you. You can't force a reunion on someone who doesn't want to see you. If Sunset wanted to make amends or something, she should have contacted Shy first. That way they'd BOTH have had time to prepare themselves. Also, Shy, your anger is understandable, but everything you've been through doesn't only fall on Sunset. I hope Shy finds her own happiness because she deserves it so much.
Ultimately though, I don't really side with Sunset or Fluttershy on this one. Their relationship had grown toxic on both ends. Regardless of how much has changed in their lives, I don't know if they'd even be able to maintain a healthy friendship at this point. There's just too much stuff between them that would need to be addressed, and it seems neither of them are ready to deal with that.


Or who knows.... Maybe Sunny just wanted to see Shy one last time before spending 20 years in jail for arson 😦

10684634
Yeah, you're right that they're both at fault here for different things, and I'm glad you can see that. So often people try to take a side and in this case I think both sides are in the wrong. That's what I was going for anyway, and it always makes me happy when people actually agree with it.

For fuck’s sake, Sunset, what did you expect? I’d just fall into your arms and you could have two of me?

I've read pretty much all the of the WWB series and this is the line I think about near constantly. I never really thought of myself as big fan of angst but the amount of just pain this one line conveys from Fluttershy and surely causes for Sunset haunts me. Just. Ouch. It hurts just as much in Coda too.

Anyway, yeah bravo for sticking these words into my head on the daily. And also just thank you for the awesome works!

Login or register to comment