• Published 20th Aug 2012
  • 3,434 Views, 36 Comments

Equestria: Fires of Liberation - smoers06



Humanity must Liberate Equestria from the Gryphon Empire

  • ...
7
 36
 3,434

A Lucky Talisman

Northern Equestria
Nine Days since invasion
February 12th, 2013
1230 hours

Many philosophers of both equine and human origins had tried to nail down the feelings of soldiers in the chaos of war. To the ponies, this invasion was the first taste of war it had ever had for over a thousand years, the last real conflict taking place over a thousand years ago during the Nightmare Moon Rebellions. Consequently, they had a very small military, a token force that was almost more of a danger to themselves than any enemy.
On the other hand, humanity had long mastered the arts of bloody conflict. Having participated in hundreds of conflicts throughout the centuries; the nations that made up the United Human Federation had all understood the importance of a strong military and trained soldiers even while in peacetime.
The stark contrasts of the two species that made up the Human-Equestrian Alliance was just yet another reason of mistrust now that war had been declared. Many humans, mainly those who were still extreme isolationists, were crying out that Equestia had been in on the chemical attacks, wishing to see humanity wiped out. The Equines, in turn, were appalled by such accusations, along with the human warmongering attitude that made much of the nobility label them as nothing more than barbarians. As a result, the political atmosphere between them was Icy at best.
But on the frontlines of battle in northern Equestria, no such division could be found.
Earth Ponies pulling heavy equipment with the assistance of human Air Force Personnel, Unicorns giving Marines their freshly cleaned rifles, and Pegusi scouts reporting their findings to Intelligence Agents of both species. It was warming to the heart of anyone who could see it.
But to Riley, it was one big headache.
“Tell the Pegusi to unmass,” He was saying to his Sergeant. “Even if they think they can flank the Griffin lines, we wouldn’t be able to get any support to them. This is no time for a leap charge.”
“With respect sir,” The Sergeant said, obviously trying to hide his annoyance. “We need to do something.”
“We are doing something.”
“Really?! Because All I see us doing is waiting for the enemy to attack, skirmishing them, and then running away! Is that what you consider doing something sir?!”
Riley was now glaring at the subordinate. He could understand that tensions were high, but that was no excuse for this kind of speech to a commanding officer.
“Well Sergeant, you obviously are the all-knowing entity of the world right now. So of course, you’ve noticed that we’re both outnumbered and outgunned. We have no Air Support, and very little intelligence on the enemy. And yet you seem to have the idea that we can charge their lines and still have victory regardless of all that.”
“With respect sir, the militia forces-”
“You don’t get it, do you?” Riley shook his head. “These aren’t Estovakians we’re fighting, they’re Griffins! They’re not going to roll over and die just because we throw a few hundred frilly ponies at them!”
All fell silent over the camp, as he saw that eyes, both human and pony, were staring right at him.
“Dammit!” He cursed. “Don’t be so touchy, we’re fighting a war!”
He dismissed the Sergeant, and took a moment to take in a few deep breaths before he was joined by a pony wearing a Royal Army Jacket.”
“Long day Riley?”
“No more as usual Storm.”
Having been given a field promotion to Captain by Alliance Command, Storm Chaser was one of two Militia commanders in northern Equestria.
“Where’s Dusk Shine?”
“Los Pegasus,” Storm said, looking over maps on the table used in the makeshift command post. “He’s overseeing Militia forces in the battle there.”
“The Griffins are already that far?” Riley asked. “No one tells me anything these days… Daring!” He looked around. “Where the hell is Daring?”
“Right behind you,” The Adventurer’s voice said. “Calm down.”
The Marine turned to see a very tired Daring Do sitting on the ground behind you. The onetime Archeologist was an agent for the Equestrian Strategic Information Service, helping the Alliance Forces in the war.
“I have an assignment for you.”
“Another one?”
“Captain Miller thinks the Chicken flyers are getting ready to assault Baltimare. I need you to head up north to see if he’s right.”
“Isn’t there anyone else you can send? I’m just saying, I haven’t gotten a rest in days…” Daring mumbled.
“Look, I know you’re tired,” Riley said understandingly. “But I don’t trust anyone else to do as good of a job as-”
“She’s just playing hard to get,” Storm suddenly interrupting. “Daring, if you do what the human says, I’ll give you the Eye of Catlantis.”
“…You haven’t sold it already?” The mare asked, raising a brow.
“Never got a chance too.”
Daring looked thoughtful for a moment, then sighed.
“Fine, I’ll do your damned recon…” She grumbled, taking flight once again. When she was out of eyesight, Riley gave a look to Storm.
“Do I sense some history between you two?”
“I was an archeologist before the war too.” The Stallion said sheepishly. “We’re kinda rivals in the field, being students together at the University.”
“Oh? Is that ‘all’ you are Storm?”
“I don’t think that’s any of your business.” Storm said, narrowing his eyes.
“I’ll take that as a yes.” Riley replied, laughing.
“Think whatever you like two-legs…”
“Excuse me sir.” Riley suddenly became aware of another Marine beside him, and he was left wondering just how long he had been standing there.
“What is Private?”
“You have a video call from Coronet sir.”
“Is it Command, or a personal call?” Riley asked, furrowing his brow.
“It’s from General Davis.”
“Ah, that answers that then.”
“Go on.” Storm said. “I’ll make sure we don’t win the war without you.”


Coronet, Human Mainland
Federation Command Center

The video feed crackled to life, static still evident due to the distance from the Mainland to Equestria. On screen, a man in Federation Marine Combat uniform took a seat, dark circles around his usually blue eyes.
“Hey dad.” Riley said.
“Hey boy,” General Davis said, trying to give his voice the same authoritative yet proud tone he’d given his son growing up. “How are holding up?”
“Pretty well, all things considered.” Riley answered. “Some have it a lot worse than me.”
“That’s good, you should count your blessings where you can.” An awkward silence followed, before Riley asked.
“Is this a social call dad? Or do you have orders for me?”
“Can’t a father just talk to his son for a bit?”
“Maybe. But we haven’t talked in months. Why now?”
“Ignoring the fact that you’re in a frontline unit in the middle of a war far away from home? You’re right, I can’t think of any reason.”
“Point taken,” Riley said, chuckling. “Besides, it is good to hear from you, regardless of the circumstances.”
“Same here Riley,” Davis replied, a small smile coming to his face. “So what are the conditions like over there? I have the official reports, but little else.”
“I’m not gonna lie, it’s pretty damn bad,” The Marine said, rubbing his temple in obvious frustration. “I’m a Lieutenant doing the job of a Colonel. We’re heavily outnumbered, we only have enough forces to go on small raids. Command keeps promising to send us reinforcements, but so far none have come. At least there’s no shortage of volunteers among the militia… They understand what’s at stake here better than any of us.”
“Have they held up under fire?”
“For the most part, they actually hold up better than raw recruits, but they’re no Marines. We prefer using them for recon or supply runs, keeps it simple and them out of danger.” He shook his head slowly. “It’s funny, before this war I never would have thought them to be any use in a combat situation, but we couldn’t keep fighting without them.”
“Don’t worry, we’ll be deploying our Mainland forces soon, just hang in there.”
“Glad to hear it, cause we’ll need-”
“Sir!” Another Marine that Davis didn’t recognize entered the video frame. “We have a situation.”
“What is it Corporal?”
”It’s the Griffins sir, they’ve found us.”
“Shit,” Riley cursed. “Alright get Captain Chaser and begin the evacuation protocols.” He turned to the camera. “Gotta go dad.”
The last Davis saw of his only child was him picking up a rifle and heading to exit the tent.
Going to fight.
Going to war.

Central Equestria
February 15th, 2013
1420 hours

Ditzy soared through the air, really making time as she flew toward her assignment’s location. Like most other Pegusi that now frequented the skies above Equestria, she was wearing a military uniform. Unlike the others, however, her uniform was not that of the R.A.F. Her uniform was much greener, the insignia that of United Human Federation. While she may not have been human herself, the Federation was in desperate need of messengers who could carry information over long distances when technology failed. Being the local Ponyville Mailmare, she had immidiatly volunteered for such a position, giving her an opportunity to assist the war effort without being directly on the front lines.
In her peripheral vision, she could see the changes that had occurred in the recent weeks on the ground below.
This part of Equestria had always been generally rural, with only a few small towns that dotted the typically empty countryside. While the war hadn’t yet gotten this war, it was now totally militarized. Vehicles bearing the insignia of the Royal Army were now rolling all over the grassland. Hundreds of training personnel were also down there, running drills, assembling weapons, practicing maneuvers, doing everything they could to desperately prepare themselves for the war that they would soon be participating in.
Ditzy glided herself to the left, coming into visual range of the town where the message she was carrying was meant to arrive at.
Her Hometown.
Ponyville, like the rest of the surrounding cities, had been heavily militarized. The only difference being that many more humans were present, as it had become a sort of rallying point for Federation survivors to receive their next orders.
She came down in the center of the main street through town, landing just a few feet away from a cart of apples being loaded into a Half-Track, probably about to be shipped north for the soldiers. She received several nods from soldiers, both human and pony alike, as she trotted down the road toward the large tree-house.
She opened the doors to the Library, observing the ten pilots of Rogue Squadron gathered around a map of Northern Equestria. They all turned to face her, brows raised in confusion.
“Orders from Colonel Garrett,” She panted, retrieving an official document from her saddlebag. She gave it to Cole, who immediately grabbed the paper and looked it over. His eyes widened slightly, as he looked back to Ditzy.
“You’re sure these are the correct orders?” He asked.
“Yes sir.” The Mare replied, nodding. The Pilot looked like he was considering something, then he nodded himself.
“Good work, now get some rest.”
Ditzy had gone the last two days without sleep, making constant runs back and forth from Canterlot to military bases. Rest sounded magical, but she stood up straight.
“I can rest later.” She said.
“But you will rest NOW.” Cole’s voice was soft, but stern. “Consider that an order Lieutenant. Go home, get some sleep, and spend some time with your daughter. Report to Sergeant Hartman tomorrow at thirteen-hundred hours for new orders. Dismissed.” Ditzy hesitated, then saluted.
“Yes sir. Thank you sir.”
She exited, leaving the humans alone.
“What’s going on Cole?”
The Squadron leader laid out a map of Northern Equestria on the table in the center of the room, circling several key locations with a red pen.
“We’re finally joining the war.” He answered simply.
“Seriously? The contamination from the base has been cleaned out?” Blaze asked, raising a brow.
“Not completely, but command has finally realized that time isn’t exactly on our side. We’re gonna get creative with this one boys and girls. We’ll be putting on Hazmat suits over our flight suits, and changing once we get in our cockpits.”
“That’s…. going to be interesting…” Dare noted.
“So long as we’re flying again, I don’t give a damn.” Justin said. “Where are we going?”
“The Eighty-Ninth Rangers have engaged the Griffins in Los Pegasus, and Mobius Squadron has been assigned to them for air support.” Cole took this moment to point out one of the circled cities, just north of Canterlot. “But our feathered friends just love to show up to places uninvited. They’ve sent a large assault force toward the city of Baltimare. The Third Marines have been scrambled to help in the defense, and we’ve been assigned to help them.”
“Impossible.” Dare shook her head. “The Third is in shambles right now, and even with a God-given amount of militia reinforcement and air support from a legion of demons wouldn’t be able to stop that many Griffins.”
“We’re not trying to stop them. Not at Baltimare.”
All the pilots stared at their Commander, debating if he really had just said what they heard.
“Then…What are we trying to do?”
“We’re trying to smash them.” Cole laid out the plans. “Alliance Command has signed off on Scorched Earth Policy on this mission. And two Soviet-Class Dreadnaughts loaded down with V4 rockets are currently en-route for Baltimare Harbor.”
“I don’t like the sound of this….” Dare mumbled.
“Neither do I Dare, but the Taloned-Turkeys aren’t leaving us many options here.” Cole said. “Here’s what the plan is: The Marines and other ground forces are going to be evacuating civilians and holding off enemy attacks until the Dreadnaughts are in the harbor. Then they’re going to turn the north end of the city to rubble with their rockets, and take a pretty big amount of Griffins with it.”
“Maker preserve us…”
“So where do we come in exactly?” Blaze asked. “Are we providing Air Support to the ground forces?”
“No, the Marines have scavenged enough artillery to keep them covered. Our job is air superiority, plain and simple.”
“By ourselves?”
“The report says that we’ll be supported by an Equestrian Royal Air Force Squadron, but I’m not gonna hold my breath for them to do anything else but run away when the shooting starts.”
“Oh great. Let’s just hope they know enough to not get in our damn way.”
“When do we leave?”
“Right now.” Cole turned towards the door. “Hope you all remember how to put on your hazmat suits, because I’m not going to zip up your-”
He stopped, when he saw that the door was already open. Standing there was a very serious looking Rainbow Dash.
Wearing a Royal Air Force Uniform.
“Oh Dash…” Cole said quietly. “You didn’t…”
“I did.” The Pegasus said defiantly. “I know you guys are worried and all that, but I’m the Element of Loyalty. What example would I be setting if I just sat conformably at home while the Kingdom was in Crisis?”
“Well, it’s not like I can talk you out of it now.” The Squadron leader shook his head, silently pondering why no one ever seemed to listen to him. “When do you ship out?”
“I leave for Cloudsdale today for training.” She said proudly.
“Then good luck to you,” Dare said, forcing a smile. “Maybe we can fly someday.”
“You know it!” Dash smiled. “And when we do, it’ll be over the Griffin Capitol City!”

Gracemeria, Human Mainland

In Equestria, the skies were almost always busy with Pegusi, and more recently, human civilian traffic. With the outbreak of war, the once peaceful wild blue yonder was now more packed than ever above the Equine Homeland.
Humanity, not being able to fly without the assistance of Technology, did not have such packed skies. Though air traffic had indeed increased over the nations that made up the Federation, including above the skies of the Emmerian National Guard Base in the city of Gracemeria. Seeming to drive home this point was the pair of F-16’s that landed on the small base’s runway.

After taxying into the hangar, the canopy of the lead fighter opened, allowing the pilot to climb down to the ground. The Flight leader removed the helmet, revealing long flowing blond hair and emerald green eyes.
“Another day, another wasted patrol.” Talisman grumbled, not waiting for her wingman as she began to leave the hangar.
“Hey wait up!” Shamrock said, having to jog to catch up with her. “Where do you think you’re going?”
“Where do you think?”
“Oh please tell me you’re joking…”
“You know I’m not.”
“Why?” Shamrock asked, his voice sounding like he was asking a child why it was eating glue.
“Because I’m tired of doing nothing but flying patrols over the city.” Talisman replied, fury in her eyes. “There’s a war going on, and almost every pilot is being re-assigned to the Counter-strike force. And I want to know when we get our turn.”
“Will you relax? We’ll probably get the call any day now.”
“And what if we don’t? What if command has forgotten us? What if the records have us gunned down and Missing In Action?”
“Tals, I think you’re overreacting.” Shamrock said, rolling his head.
“Well we’ll know soon enough.” She stopped outside the base commander’s office. “Are you coming in with me?”
“Sorry pal, I gotta get home on time tonight, or the wife will have my head.”
“Hmph, coward…”
“I’ll see you later Tals.” Shamrock laughed, waving goodbye as he walked away.
Talisman took a deep breath, then knocked on the door.
“Come in!” The voice came back. Talisman entered, closing the door behind her and giving a sharp salute.
“Sir! May I speak to you?”
“Ah, Lieutenant.” Colonel Grant sounded none to please to see her. “Of course, come in. What is it you wish to talk about?”
She stood at ease.
“I am aware sir of the gathering of forces to fight in Equestria. And I was simply curious when my flight would be going so we can prepare.”
“You’re not going.”
Talisman blinked.
“Sir?”
“Did I stutter? You’re not going Lieutenant, you’re staying for defense.” The Colonel said.
“Sir, with due respect, I am a Federation Pilot-”
“You WERE a Federation Pilot,” Grant pointed out. “You screwed that up, now you’re here with the Guard. End of Story.”
“But sir, I could be much more useful in-“
“What is it about this that makes you think this up for discussion?!” The Colonel barked, standing up. “The Shit you’ve done, anyone else would have been Court-Marshaled, evicted, and left to rot in the brig! You’re damn lucky you’re such a good pilot or else you wouldn’t even be flying with the guard!” He saluted. “You’re dismissed, Second Lieutenant.”
Talisman hesitated, but saluted, storming out of the office, absolutely fuming.
Oh this is definitely not over. She raged in her mind.

Ponyville Air Force Base, Equestria

“Ugh,” Cole groaned, struggling to put on his helmet. “They’d better have this all cleaned up when we get back…”
Sitting in his cockpit, and trying to get out of his hazmat suit an into his flight gear, Cole had to admit that he just happy to be in his plane again.
“This is Rogue One, requesting permission to takeoff.”
“Tower to Rogue One, you are cleared to takeoff.”
“Copy that Tower.”
Cole assumed that the Air Traffic controller, just as the entire ground crew, was a pony. Since the Equines were immune to Chemical weapons, they had replaced much of the Humans who had once been at this base.
But that was a thought for later, as now he was on the runway.
He gunned the engines forward, feeling the G-force press against his entire body as his Fighter lifted into the air.
“This is Rogue One, reporting Successful takeoff.”
Movement outside the right of his cockpit caught his attention, and he turned to see Rainbow Dash flying right outside. She waved at the human before pulling away from his F-16.
“Rogue One, we’re picking up an unidentified object right beside your craft, can you confirm?”
“It’s nothing to worry about,” Cole said, looking after Rainbow Dash. “Just a friend saying goodbye.”
“Understood Commander. The rest of the squadron has confirmed successful takeoff and are awaiting your orders.”
“Solid copy Tower,” Cole switched over to the squadron frequency. “Rogues, form up. We’re in for a bit of a ride before we reach Baltimare.”

“It’s time for us to join this war.”