• Published 19th Feb 2020
  • 449 Views, 4 Comments

A Friend For Boulder - Autumnblazelover61



Maud finds a new friend for Boulder and for herself during a trip to the Perilous Peaks.

  • ...
 4
 449

Not Kirin Around

Maud Pie groaned and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes as she woke up in her strangely comfy bed to the sound of rain beating softly against the roof above her head, and birds chirping from outside the window. She couldn’t remember the last time it had rained at the rock farm, let alone had birds visit it, unless the vultures that occasionally swarmed the land and ate the corpses of their former employees counted, which they definitely didn’t. She looked at the clock on the nightstand just inches away from her face, which read 7:05 AM.

"Oh, I must have went home last night and fallen asleep." Maud said quietly, not wanting to wake up her sisters in their rooms with her loud irritating voice. Except usually her parents would be downstairs by now, making rock soup for breakfast, and Marble and Limestone would be hard at work in the fields.

Maud looked at the nightstand, expecting to see Boulder sleeping, but he wasn’t there. And since when was her nightstand just a giant rock? (Okay, she had to admit that was pretty cool) She slowly climbed out of bed and immediately tripped over a bottle of champagne that was tossed carelessly onto the floor. "Ouch." She mumbled as she got up.

Maud looked around the room and blinked a few and slowly grew horrified as she realized that this WASN'T her room. First of all, it was actually a colour other than grey and the walls were made of bamboo sticks instead of rubble. And the bed she had apparently just drunkenly passed out in had a soft brown mattress instead of hard grey sheets. And man, was it hot out here! The weather down at the rock farm was usually about as warm as the family's expressions.

"Uh, where am I?" Maud said, a bit louder now as she was starting to get nervous. Her sharp ears picked up the sudden sound of yawning behind her, and she turned around in horror to see a pudgy, greyish pony-like creature roll over in bed and stare up at her with her big beautiful morning eyes. "Hey, you. You're finally awake." She said with a smile.

Maud was too stunned to say anything, but it likely wouldn’t have been a scream anyways. "Um... hi. I’m Maud. Pie." She said. It never hurt to be a little friendly. Autumn Blaze rolled her eyes. "It’s okay. I remember I was a little nervous my first time I was in bed with with another creature." She hopped out of bed and walked up close to Maud so she could feel her warm breath against her face.

"So, what do you want to do know? Have breakfast? Put on a play about two wicked witches who can’t agree on anything and have the same evil boyfriend? Ooh, or maybe we could go and watch the sun rise?” She said as she jumped around excitedly. Maud was so confused: not only had she just slept with that thing, but she was being so happy and jumpy about it.

"Hold on- what’s supposed to happen now?" Maud said worriedly. "I have to go home now with Boulder." Autumn stopped hopping around and looked at the pony seriously for a minute before chuckling softly. "Come on, you can’t leave just like that. There’s so much more to see and do out here! Liiiiiike..."

Autumn disappeared into her closet for a minute before emerging wearing an outfit from the play Horselet, and holding up the skull of a buffalo in one hoof. "To be or not to be. That is the question..." She said with a giggle. "Get it? Because it’s from that play."

Maud shrugged. "I’m not much of a theater pony. Although the part with examining skulls sounds nice." Autumn Blaze looked unamused for a brief moment, before she suddenly looked excited and pushed past Maud. "Oh my gosh, look Maud! The rain has stopped! The sun is coming out!" She said excitedly as she leaped over to the window, which was now letting golden rays of sunlight pour into the messy room. Autumn sat back and stretched for a minute in the sunlight. "Ahhhh. Always good to get some exercise in the morning after."

"The morning after what?" Maud asked, but she was interrupted of course by the energetic Kirin. "Come on, you, let’s go watch it together!" She exclaimed as she trotted out the door, taking the frowning pony with her.

Maud wasn’t quite sure what to make of the sunrise. There was hardly even any sun down on the farm- she couldn’t stop thinking about the farm all of a sudden. She felt homesick for a second. But then those feelings disappeared, as the red sun slowly peeked over the mountains on the horizon, and spread its light over the small village and forest down below like butter on toast, eventually reaching the two mares as they sat on the edge of the cliff and watched.

"Man, that’s one of the most beautiful sights I’ve ever seen..." Autumn Blaze gushed as she put a hoof on her heart. "Yeah, it’s great." Maud said with her boring tone that Autumn tried to ignore. It was then that Maud brought her attention back to that strange village. "What ARE those ponies down there anyways?"

Autumn sighed. "That’s a long story... so um, do you want the normal version or the song version?" When Maud didn’t respond she kept talking anyways and explained the whole story with her village going berserk and taking a vow of silence and her deciding to get her voice back, which ultimately led to her exile.

"And I lived miserably ever after up here, with just me and Mr. Twig.” Autumn said, shedding a few tears while Maud just looked on, feeling sad for her on the inside. Suddenly, she realized something. "Oh, that’s right. We should check on them to see how they’re doing."

It turned out that Boulder and Mr. Twig had slept together in a little wooden bed Autumn had just made for her days prior. They were sound asleep on the couch, judging by how quiet the onlooking ponies were. "Awww, they’re adorable together." Maud said with a small smile. "Yeah, kind of like us." Autumn Blaze teased as she elbowed the pony, who sighed in annoyance. "No, Autumn Blaze, I really can't stay. This is just wrong. I’ve got a boyfriend back home in Ponyville, and Boulder already found his friend, so..."

Autumn sighed as she rubbed her front hoof. "Yeah, I understand." Maud immediately felt a twang or guilt in her heart and raised a hoof to lift up her neck fur. "But if you want, I could keep in touch and visit again."

Autumn smiled. "Heh. I’d like that." Then she went in for another kiss, but was pushed away by Maud. "Oh, heh, right. And no more of that. Ooh, how about just this?" She wrapped her hooves around Maud and gave her a huge bone-crunching goodby hug. "Is that good enough?"

Maud smiled quietly and closed her eyes. "It’s perfect."

Comments ( 1 )

A fun little story, thank you for writing. :3

Login or register to comment