• Published 2nd Sep 2012
  • 1,065 Views, 7 Comments

Starry Night - Secret_Shadows



Twilight Sparkle shares her feelings about the night.

  • ...
0
 7
 1,065

Starry Night

Starry Night

Written By: Secret_Shadows

"I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars." -Og Mandino

Sitting on my balcony under the stars. The light of Luna's moon shines down onto my books giving me the light I need. I look up and admire the stars, never has anypony seen such a more beautiful sight. The stars dance around in a magical pattern only that of magic could create. I sit and read under the stars at night, the light just strong enough for me to read the words written on the pages. The passage of time means nothing at this point in night.

The beautiful stars hanging in a pool of violet and black where the sun once was. The moon shines elegant rays of pure white light around and it swirls with the stars in the never ending dance that is my passion. I follow the light of the stars as they disappear into the heavens. My eyes follow the shades of violet around the sky as they seem to move with the wind. The leaves on my home sway in this wind, along with the strands of violet and blue in the sky.

On the mountain top Canterlot is visible only by a dark shadow that blots out the stars. The lights that can be seen make Canterlot in my mind look like it has found its perfect dancing partner in the darkness that is the sky. I can see the clouds that try to block the starlight only to be shrouded in the light of a thousand other stars. I get up from my books and go over to the railing, wishing I could reach up and take a star, feel its warmth in my hooves and then return it to its place. My horn flares with a dim violet aura of its own as I try to reach out to a star to no avail. My magic is not strong enough. With a sigh I turn and walk back to my books, books which happen to be about my passion, the stars, the moon and the night sky.

A book lay open to a page of constellations as I try to find them. The beauty of the stars makes the constellations disappear as I bask in the glory of the white lights that shine down on me, It makes me feel as though I am in the heavens with them. Like fireflies in the summer the stars shimmer on a glass like lake of water sparkling in the distant darkness that is the Everfree Forest. I sip my tea as I enjoy the sight and sounds.

As I watch a shooting star I remember a song my mother used to sing to me when I was young. We would stay up all night just to look for a shooting star. 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' The song dances in my head reminding me of the fun times I had when I was a filly with my mother, sometimes even my brother would join us when our father wasn't home as we watched the night sky, We enjoyed the peace together as a family. I miss sharing this with them, however I know we are all looking at the same stars all dancing together yet separately for each of us.

The streets deserted, the fields empty, animals and ponies alike retreat to their homes for they do not understand the beauty of night, but I do. Its something to bask at, you want so much to enjoy the day that the night is cast aside, but no matter, even if just one pony such as myself has to enjoy it so be it. I enjoy the sights and sounds of night, the wonderful parade of lights and sights in the sky.

I yawn, I am tired, I look up at the stars again to see the moon hanging above me, its midnight, most of the ponies in Ponyville are asleep, lights are out, its quiet. The tired ponies sleep in their homes as Luna generously gives them peace. The peace of night is subtle, only one who was quiet enough to listen would realize there are hundreds of calming sounds; The songs of hundreds of animals slumber and awake create a grand shroud of peace that makes up the night.

I lay down to read my books once more, the moon light all I need. I can hear spike breathing in the distance, peaceful slumber, even he contributes to the silence that is now Ponyville. My eyelids heavy, my head droops down. I rest, I fall asleep and enjoy the healing qualities of night.

The birds singing wakes me up from my peaceful slumber, I open my eyes, its not yet morning, the moon is hovering just over the mountain tops, the sky is still dark, on the opposite side of the sky I see pinks and yellows, the sun is coming up. I look at the moon once more and bid it farewell as we part ways for the day. Each star gets dimmer and dimmer until no longer visible. I see, one final star streak across the sky in what little violet still remains in the sky as if to wave goodbye. After the display of the stars they are gone, vanished, the moon is gone over the horizon leaving behind the wonderful pinks and yellows of the morning sky as they dance across the clouds.

I regret sleeping through the beautiful night, what had I missed in the night sky? The colors, the sounds, the make up of true harmony? I look at the sky in its present state already giving way to the light blue of day. The night is over and I must begin my day, but I remind myself yet again I will return tonight to enjoy it all over, and maybe catch a star.

As the sun gives way to the moon and the yellow and pink sky is parted by the elegant violets and blues I can only look at the moon and greet it, as it greets me as it always has, and always will.

The End

Comments ( 7 )

I enjoyed this story a lot. The only thing i had an issue with was 'its'. A lot of the time you used its when you should have used it's. i think there were a couple other silly mistakes like that, but overall this was a very nice story. Very calming, too. Makes me want to go sit on my porch and stare out at the sky. Maybe I'll do that tonight.

1206032

Thanks, and I will do my best to catch those in my future writings :twilightsmile:

This is a pretty nice story. Can't really say there was anything that bugged me about it. I have to praise how you described the night sky.

1206080

Well thanks :twilightsmile:

Personally I thought I was starting to get repetitive, but glad someone else thinks I did a good job.

1206090 That's all we can ask!

Hey, cool! You found the same picture I used for one of my fics!

haha, delete this comment. It isn't overly important, my fic wasn't even all that popular.

I FEEL OKAY ABOUT THIS

1206342

Every comment is important to me unless its a mean comment :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment