• Published 20th Jun 2020
  • 236 Views, 2 Comments

Full Lance & The Holy Roman Empire - Merallakos



Full Lance puts up with the motions of life before plumbing, sanitation and spell checker.

  • ...
 2
 236

Castle Town Exploits: Part 2

"Huh," said the stall Keep. "Now there's a weird pony," she turned around. "Wouldn't you say, Bernard?"

Bernard was squinting into the crowd.

"You okay, Bernard?" she questioned.

Bernard cleared his throat as he regained focus. "That weird pony looked a lot like someone I used to know." He shook his head. "Arna, did you see if he was walking with a limp, or had a splint?"

The Arna shook her head. "No, he was pulling that wagon pretty easily. Looked pretty healthy to me."

"Uncanny."

"Well, back to business." Arna turned around to face the line again. Looking down towards a scowling Thistle, "Hey there, Sweetie, are you lost?"

Thistle's ear flicked. "Thistle," he instinctively corrected.

"Thistle?" asked Arna, looking around the market. "I don't think there's any growing here."

"No," Thistle's brain began to function again. "My name is Thistle."

"A Fonamine?" murmured the Anra. "Weren't you with that fellow who just ran away?"

"That fellow who..." Thistle's eyes widened. He looked left then right. "Uhhh, uhhhhm, did you perchance see the direction he went, ma'am?"

"That way," said Arna pointing to her left.

"Thank you, ma'am."

"You're wel--"

Before She could finish, Thistle had already bolted in the direction Arna had indicated. Ponies of many colors were parading in each and every direction. How long had it been since Full Lance left the stall?

It feels like I sat there for hours, Thistle thought. He could be anywhere now.

A small part of Thistle realized the fact that, in a sense, he was free, completely untethered. This sparked a greater realization that he had no idea what to do in a situation like this. he didn't know a way home, he didn't have any coins, if he was attacked--

While he was still running, Thistle felt a soft but deliberate tap on his shoulder.

"Huh?!" Thistle stopped in his tracks, whipping his head around.

As Thistle watched, a hooded foal skidded in front of him, stumbling to a stop. Recovering their composure, they dramatically threw back their hood revealing a pair of indigo blue eyes framed by curly, dark brown hair. The white coated foal bowed before Thistle.

"Fear not!" they proclaimed. "For your savior has arrived!"

The foal looked up again to find Thistle had already scampered away into the crowd.

"Augk!" exclaimed the foal, already beginning to charge. "You're not getting away that easy!"

Thistle on the other hand...

"Oh no!" Thistle breathed as he scampered away into the crowd, dancing between under and around ponies. "I'm already in danger! My only hope..." Thistle took a breath, then unleashed a panicked call, "Full Lance!"

Thistle was approaching the edge of the plaza now. Thistle wondered whether Full Lance had already finished trading the grain and was started home, or if maybe he was still in the market. Suddenly, towards the center of the plaza Thistle heard a faint, "Thistle?!"

Thistle gasped in hope, he banked towards the voice, practically careening at this point. Cutting in front of various ponies, Thistle had cleared a quarter of the space to the fountain when,

"Ahah!" shouted a voice in front of Thistle. The hooded foal from earlier ran in front of Thistle. Thistle tried to juke around them, but they countered Thistle with sheer speed and reflexes. Thistle bursted to the right, but the foal was already there. He jerked to the left, but galloped toward the right, but before Thistle had gained any momentum, the white foal was in front of him. Thistle tried to break for the left, but still the cloaked foal was in front of him. After what seemed like a solid minute of dodging, Thistle called out again, "Full Lance!?"

"Full Lance," the foal exclaimed. "I'll get you to Full Lance!"

"What?!" said Thistle, exasperated.

"That's right, just come with me, I'll take you to him!"

Thistle tried slide past the foal by sliding beneath another pony, but the foal was already on the other side, blocking him. Running out of new approaches, Thistle tried a desperate move, trying the jump over the foal. Once more the cloaked foal was too fast; jumping backwards at the same time Thistle jumped upwards. Thistle managed to landed adroitly despite the shock, quickly backing away from the foal.

"Full Lance!" mewed a now panting Thistle, attempting to turn around and run the opposite direction. As he did, a small part of Thistle's brain noticed that there were ponies all around him, but he failed to process this in any meaningful way.

As Thistle turned turned away, the other foal saw an opportunity, pouncing and grabbing Thistle by the rear. Unfortunately for the other foal, the tackle did not go quite as planned. Thistle dexterously twisted and slipped out of their grip, rolling sideways --nearly into a watching bystander-- and jumped back up to his hooves, now facing his opponent.

Sensing a change in tactics the other foal heaved,"If you won't listen to reason, then you're gonna have to listen to force!"

"What reason!?" Thistle squeaked, outraged.

"Yeahh!" cried a bystander. "Fight! Fight! Fight!"

The foal and Thistle met in a furious crash, each wrestling for the upper hoof. At this point a circle of onlookers had formed, already a few were exchanging bets.

Despite all of Thistle's best efforts, the white foal had the upper hand in strength and experience. As they were about overpower Thistle, a ferocious voice pierced the fight.

"Neither the place nore the time for this!" ripped Full Lance's voice.

Immediately the foal tripped and Thistle lost his balance, both toppling in precarious pile. Even as Full Lance marched into the circle of bystanders, a few were driven away by the sheer vehemence.

Full Lance physically separated the two combatants

"Boys," Full Lance scolded harshly, his voicing taking on a breathy tone. "Really? here? Now? In the middle of the market?" Full Lance gave an exasperated sigh as some of the onlookers backed away, resuming business as normal.

"I thought you'd listened to me the last time we did this routine," Full Lance shook his head disapprovingly, the crowd was now quickly dissolving. "But noooo," he whined. "You both want the wooden spoon again, don't you? Well! I have half a mind to beat the both of you so silly that you wouldn't even be able to make oatmeal out of you when I'm done. In fact, it's time to leave."

After a moment of indecision, the foal looked pitifully up at Full Lance. "But Daaaad, do you have to?"

"Unfortunately," Full said, playing along. "I do. But..." Full Lance carefully picked both foals up onto their hooves again. "Hopefully after that we'll be able to safely say that something like this won't befall us again." Full Lance began trotting away from the center of the plaza, angled towards a deserted ally. "Come along, boys, don't be slow."

"Coming," said the foal.

Thistle, looking somewhere between amused confusion and crying fell in beside Full Lance as well.

Once they had reached the ally, currently devoid of other ponies, Full Lance ushered his new brood inside. he then quickly parked the cart outside the ally. Stepping out of the yoke, he sat before the two young ponies.

"First of all," Full Lance said, his voice now resuming its normal cadence. "Thistle... I forgot about you... I'm sorry." He came over to thistle and embraced him. Stroking the back Thistle's main he said, "It's okay, there there... I'll be honest, I'm not entirely certain what I should rightly be doing in a situation like this."

Thistle hugged back, surprised at how emotional he felt, and how effectively hugging seemed to help. "I'm okay, Full lance. I'm okay." Thistle sniffed, then he pulled out of the hug, looking less like crying and closer to plain confused.

Full Lance lingered a while, then went back to his position in front of the two foals, sitting back down.

"Second," he said. "I believe introductions are in order?" He trailed off for a moment observing the blue eyed foal. "I'm Full Lance," he gestured to himself...

"I'm Thistle," Thistle picked up.

The foal looked back and forth between the two, tilting their head side to side, weighing options. Eventually, "I'm Nomen Novum."

A beat.

"That," Full Lance said flatly. "Is the fakest fake name I've ever heard." Full Lance took a steep breath. "If you do not tell us your actual name, I'm afraid I'll be inclined to break chivalry."

"Pfftt, what does that mean? You're gonna hurt me?" the foal shook their head.

"Please," Full lance pleaded. "Honesty for these," Full Lance reverently waved his hoof at the surrounding dark ally. "sacred halls."

"Please," encouraged Thistle. "We won't hurt you." Thistle smirked at the foal.

The foal huffed, looking at the ground. "My name is Nomen Novum."

Full Lance looked at the foal skeptically.

Thistle looked pensively at the foal, then his eyes widened slightly.

"But that's not your given name?" Thistle guessed.

"No," confirmed the foal, seeming to gain confidence.

Full Lance sent a questioning look at Thistle.

Thistle shrugged in response.

"Alright," Full Lance shrugged acceptingly. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Nomen Novum."

"And the same to you, Thistle and Full Lance," Nomen said bowing dramatically to both.

Full Lance chuckled.

"You know," Thistle sparked. "'Thistle' probably isn't my given name either."

"Really?" asked Nomen.

"I actually don't know my birth parents," Thistle said. "About a year ago Full Lance found me under 'semi mysterious circumstances.'"

"Really?" prompted Nomen, intrigued.

"Quite." Full Lance said. "I know very little about Thistle's past, but supposedly he's a castaway from a land as far east as Cathay."

"That," Nomen said. "Is the fakest fake story I've ever heard."

Full Lance chuckled. "Honestly, I might agree with you, but..." Full Lance turned towards Thistle with a hopeful look..

"Sorry Full Lance," Thistle sighed. "I still don't remember much of anything, it's just like I've told everyone else."

"Are you sure?" Full Lance asked.

Thistle shook his head. "...It's like a dream."

"Scheiße," Full Lance sighed.

Thistle looked back to Nomen. "So, 'Nomen Novum..?'"

Nomen nodded.

"That's a really cool name!" Thistle said.

"Thanks," Nomen said cooly. "I made it myself."

Full lance chuckled. "Indeed."

"Mmm?" Nomen prodded.

"Huh?" said Thistle, confused.

"Nomen Novum," Full Lance said. "It's Latin for 'a New Name.'"

"That's why you said it was fake," realized Thistle.

"Duh," said Full Lance.

Nomen shifted in their sitting position. "Mm, you're jealous because you don't have as a cool a name as I."

Full Lance shrugged. "I can't deny that."

Thistle laughed.

"Still," Full Lance continued. "It's a little long. Do you mind if I call you... 'Nomey?'"

Nomen gagged. "Please, never call me that."

"Hmm, Full Lance thought. "What about 'omen?'"

"Ew to that as well." Nomen rubbed hooves in thought... "How about you just call me 'Nova.'"

"Alright, Nova," Full lance agreed.

"Nova," Thistle pronounced. "I like that one too."

Nova smirked. "Thanks, Thistle."

Thistle winked. Well, tried to anyway, he ended up with more of a pained grimace.

"Augk!" Nova covered their eyes, holding back laughter. "What was that?!"

"Uh, it was," Thistle laughed nervously, blushing. "It was a wink?"

"Sheesh, hasn't anyone taught you how to wink?"

"N-no? Was someone supposed to!?"

"Well no, but you're so bad at it you'll need someone to!" Nova chuckled.

Thistle looked at Full Lance helplessly.

Full Lance shrugged. "I can't wink."

"Oh no!" lamented Thistle.

"Shh, shh" Nova shushed Thistle. "I'll teach you how to wink. all you have to do is close one eye. Like this." Nova winked effortlessly.

Thistle tried, but ended up shutting both eyes instead.

Nova burst into laughter. Full Lance chuckled as well.

"Ahh! it's hard!" Thistle panicked.

"Don't worry," Full Lance chortled. "It just takes practice."

"Ahhhhh," Nova said regaining their composure. "Full Lance is right, all it takes is practice."

"Hm," Thistle frowned.

"Welp," Full Lance yawned, looking back at the cart of grains. "...I think it's time we got back down to business."

"Uh oh," Nova said taking a deep breath.

Full Lance looked at Thistle and Nova meaningfully. "Why were you two fighting?"

Thistle spoke first. "Remember when we got separated?"

"You mean five minutes ago, when I ran away from the storehouse?" Full Lance asked.

"Uh, yeah. Well after that, I sat there at the Storehouse Pantry for a bit, being angry about lines," Thistle momentarily shook before taking a calming breath. "Then the stall-lady, Amara? she... looked at... Bernar? And she said something about you, uhh, then she looked at me and she said something like... 'What's wrong sweetie,' and then there was something about how you ran away and so I asked her where you went and then she--"

"Skip," interrupted Full Lance.

"Skip?"

"I'd like the abridged version."

"Oh... Well uh..."

"I got it," said Nova. "I was watching you both the whole time. After Arna told Thistle where she though you'd gone, Thistle bolted. I decided I'd help Thistle find you, but as soon I tried he kind of--"

"I was scared," Thistle said. "So when Nova tried to... help me, I thought ...he? Might've been trying to attack me. So I ran away, but then--"

"Then, you still wouldn't let me help you!" Nova exclaimed.

"No, you blocked me!"

"You wouldn't listen!"

"Because I thought you were trying to attack me!"

"It was an accident, how was I supposed to know--

"Stop." interrupted Full Lance. "So let me get this straight: you," Full Lance pointed at Thistle. "tried to run after me, then you," Full Lance pointed at Nova. "Tried to help Thistle find me."

"Yes," said Nova.

"Correct," Thistle agreed.

"After that, Thistle misunderstood your intentions, Nova, and continued to run away."

"Yes," said Nova.

"And then you both got in a fight?" Full Lance asked.

Nova shook their head. "Then, after Thistle started running away again, I tried to help him again--"

"You," Thistle pointed accusingly. "Came out of no-where and tried to stop me from finding Full Lance!"

"I said it was an accident, I didn't know you--"

"Stop!" Full Lance interrupted loudly. "So, to be clear, what happened was: Thistle ran, Nova tried to help Thistle, Thistle ran away again, Nova tried to block--"

"I did not block Thistle!" Nova yelled.

"You did!" Thistle shot back,

"Stop!" Full Lance exclaimed before Thistle or Nova could get another word in. "Both of you," Full Lance stared at the two. "Let me finish. Nova. You blocked Thistle in--"

Nova interrupted, "I--"

"Blocked Thistle," Full Lance affirmed.

"No!" Nova exclaimed.

"Then what did you do?"

"I, I--"

"Blocked Thistle. You stopped him from running away."

"If I--"

"If you hadn't blocked Thistle, you didn't think you'd be able to help him?" Full Lance raised an eyebrow at Nova.

Nova gulped. An imperceptible nod.

"It's okay," Full Lance reassured. "You blocked Thistle; it was a mistake, we all make them sometimes. Isn't that right, Thistle?"

Thistle scowled, "Why are you bringing me into this?"

"If you hadn't brushed Nova off in the first place," Full Lance said slowly. "Would we be in this situation in the first place?"

"Well--"

"Yes. or. no," Full Lance stated.

Thistle stared at the ground. He sighed. "...No, probably not, Full Lance."

"Furthermore," Full Lance continued harshly. "If you had both approached each other with chivalry when you found each other at an impasse, instead of with unnecessary violence, would we be in this situation right now?"

"No, Full Lance," Thistle shook his head.

Nova sighed. "No, Full Lance."

"And Finally!" Full lance stood on his hind legs. "If," He stared at Thistle and Nova pointedly. "If I had not impulsively run away like I did, would we be in this situation?"

"Huh?" Thistle puzzled.

Full Lance sighed, dropping to all fours. "It's true. It's all our faults. We could split the blame for the rest of the day, but the truth is: We all messed up. It is the nature of ponies, and anything else that can think and make decisions, to make mistakes. The best thing to do, is to accept that you made one, and learn how to be better in the future.

"Once you know this, that failure is a part of learning, you will be on a better path. A path that turns towards success because you know how to fail.

"Now that we realize our mistakes, can we accept them?" Full Lance faced Thistle.

Thistle scraped the ground with his hooves. He sighed. "Nova, I'm sorry I ran away and tried to fight with you. I wasn't in my right mind, and I should've listened to you before I acted."

Full lance smiled, then turned towards Nova.

Nova sighed in turn. Then sighed again. Then stood up and sat down. Finally, after a pointed look from Full Lance, Nova gulped. "Thistle... I was wrong too. If I had tried to talk to you instead of blocking you, or maybe if I'd been more normal, or--" Nova stopped. "I made a bad choice. I'm sorry, Thistle. I'll try not to let it happen again."

Full Lance smiled at Nova. Now it was his own turn.

"Thistle, Nova, I made the mistake of running away. It was extremely lucky that I found you both when I did, if I hadn't there may have been catastrophic results. I'm sorry. I'll try to avoid doing anything like that again." Full Lance sighed, long and hard. He put his hoof out.

"Forgive each other?" he asked.

Thistle put his hoof on top of Full Lance's. "Forgiven."

Nova put their hoof on top of Thistle's. "Forgiven."

"Forgiven," Full Lance completed.

They all drew their hooves back.

"Phew!" Full lance exclaimed tiredly. "Minus the heartfelt speech and forgiveness witchcraft at the end, that was basically what I have to every single time any two ponies get into a fight on the manor. Well, plus a few more hours, but basically exactly that."

"Oh that's right," Nova said. "I forgot you were the lord of a manor."

"Ah," Full lance said half way between sarcasm and shock. "You are not supposed to know that."

"Oops?" Nova said.

"So wait," Thistle said. "You knew who we were the whole time?"

"Uh," Nova said. "Not the whole time. I suspected Full Lance, but it wasn't until you called for him by name that I knew. Also..." Nova paused. "I'd never heard of you before, Thistle."

"Ah!" Thistle exclaimed, hurt. "But I'm his squire!"

"Sorry?" Nova scratched the back of their mane.

"Well," Full Lance started. "I think that an explanation of why you were watching us in the first place is in order."

"Aww, I thought we were finished with this!" Nova whined.

"Sorry," replied Full Lance. "But I haven't been to Castletown for a long time, and it's really weird that you happened to recognize me..." Full Lance went into a pensive silence... "Hmm..." Full Lance looked into Nova's eyes intently.

Nova shifted nervously, but didn't break eye contact.

"Hmmmm..." Full Lance lowered his eyebrows, frowning intensely.

Nova sweat.

"HMMMM," Full Lance stood up, looking down at the puny foal. Finally, Full Lance unleashed his secret technique; the stink eye!

Nova stood dead still --not even breathing-- then, burst into a long fit of laughter. "Oh no," Nova gasped. "Anything but that," Nova giggled. "Not the stink eye, pffftttt," Nova broke into laughter again.

Full Lance had a chuckle as well. "Not a superstitious pony then," he half smiled.

"Oh no!" Nova gasped in mock horror. "Evil begone!" Nova pantomimed holding a charm out to ward off Full Lance.

Full Lance and Nova laughed together.

"Eheheheh..." Full lance's laughter trailed off nervously. "So..."

Nova frowned. "I don't know how I should say this... But I guess there are few reasons why I was watching you." Nova sat down, playing with their cloak in thought. "The first reason is that I kind of enjoy watching ponies. I guess it's kind of... special for me." Nova stared down at a corner before they continued. "The second reason is that my uncle, Edward, he's trying to start a tavern, but he tried buying a bunch of oats, but they're kind of..."

"bad?" Thistle substituted.

"...Pretty much," Nova nodded. "So I was wondering if I could maybe help out? When Full Lance went over to the storehouse I thought it must be fate, I was gonna ask you if we could maybe strike a deal when Full Lance ran away."

"Still," Full Lance said. "How did you know about me? And how'd you recognize me through all the mud?" Full lance gestured at the dirt that was still caked onto his fur.

"I can't tell you much about how I know you," Nova said. "Because the pony who told me about you told me to keep it secret. But I've been told I kind of have an knack for finding ponies." Nova looked at Full Lance. "Your yellow-y orange-y eyes are very distinct, they're what caught my attention in the first place."

"Thank you," said Full Lance, batting his eyes.

Nova chuckled. "That's pretty much it."

"Alright," Full lance said. "Besides your mysterious informant, I am convinced."

"It's the truth."

"Thanks for telling us, Nova." Thistle said.

"Thank you for listening?" Nova asked. "I think?" Nova shifted around, getting to his hooves. "You wanna trade grain?"

"Hmm," Full Lance looked at the sky. "I'll have to see your stock first, but you might a deal."

"Yay," Nova pumped a hoof in the air. "This is going smoother than I thought it would. Now, if you'll just follow me, I'll take you to the tavern." Nova bowed and exited the ally, flipping up his hood as he waited for Thistle and Full Lance beside the cart.

Full Lance turned back to Thistle. "This is probably a bad idea."

"Huh?" puzzled Thistle. "How so?"

"Hypothetically," Full Lance said quietly. "He could be lying, and we might get mugged."

Thistle frowned. "You don't trust Nova?"

Full Lance gazed towards Nova's cloaked form before replying. "...I like to employ a healthy amount of doubt in situations like this."

"I trust Nova." Thistle said.

In the absence of conversation, the thrum of the market pervaded the ally, wafting into the now vacant space.

"Hey!" Nova called. "What are you gossips waiting for over there? We got places to be!"

Shrugging, Full Lance and Thsitle both exited the ally. Full Lance once more slipped into the cart's yoke as Thistle briefly checked its contents. Tiny Hay Bale was still intact. Quickly, Thistle, Full Lance and Nova were all trotting side by side through the market plaza, heading towards the southeastern part of Castletown.

As they strolled, they took in the sights. Towards the north, Duke Bell's castle walls loomed ontop a hill directly adjacent to the market. To the south the bulk of Castletown was spread. Meanwhile towards the east and west a school and a cathedral marked their respective borders of the market plaza. In a few spots around the plaza and sprinkled in the town itself were tall tower houses, much like the Storehouse Pantry.

Eventually, the group hit the edge of market, turning onto a shady road. This road lead to another and another, each narrower and windier than the last. The buildings steadily grew less ornate and more utilitarian, opting for plain hewn beams where before carved and polished wood would've been employed. Many buildings used simple wooden shutters in place of windows. While architectural decor may have been lacking, an excess of Ivy seemed to be trying to make up for it. It had wreathed whole hosts towns homes, resting like laurels at their crowns and draping downwards to touch the ground.

The further they went, the chillier it got. Along with that, the streets were very sparsely inhabited, with the exception of many chirping and calling birds. Coupled with the leafy exteriors of the tall buildings, this part of Castletown seemed almost like it had been abandoned and reclaimed by more primal forces.

Finally, they reached a three way intersection. Directly in front of them sat a fairly wide two story building. It had a foundation of stone, but above that the plaster was peeling and it seemed that some of the woodwork was rotting. A portion of the roof had already caved in. The shingling had seen better days, as had the windows, and, well, basically just the entire building.

Overall, the building looked quite old, older than most timber frame buildings in Castletown. In fact, the only thing that was new was the sign. It was a hanging plank of oak with the words "The Wyvern's Wagon" burned into it. Above them, a large space was left blank.

"Ah, this is it!" Nova stood, gesturing expansively at the building. "The Wyvern's Wagon Tavern! Well, technically an inn, though we don't get many visitors. Come on in, I'll show you inside."