• Published 14th Feb 2020
  • 834 Views, 14 Comments

Friendship is Failure #18: If I Can't Love Her... - DakariKingMykan



Twilight tries to console a depressed singer

  • ...
49
 14
 834

Final Act: Last Song

ACT EIGHT

The theater was echoing with cheers of joy as the actors took their bows, but many of the ponies in the crowd gave Strings and good round of applause for his excellent job narrating the play.

“Bravo!” cheered Princess Luna.

“A most wonderful performance!” agreed Celestia.

Twilight and her friends applauded and Spike gave a whistle of cheer.

Shining Armor was overjoyed and pecked Cadance lovingly. “They loved it! This is some of your best work.”

Cadance had to agree.

Twilight secretly hoped that Strings could now see how many ponies admired him and were thankful for his gifts, and maybe he would decide to stay.


Cadance looked down one the stage at Strings, and he looked up at her, and their eyes met. He gave her a very sad smile, but nodded at her.

She nodded back at him and gave him the signal to go ahead with his request.

“Attention, every-pony…!” Strings announced to gain the crowd’s attention, and everyone simmered down back into their seats.

“What’s he doing now?” asked Pinkie.

“Beats me.” said Applejack.

“I am truly thankful for your cheers, as I am certain the wonderful cast is, but before this evening’s performance is officially concluded, I would like to share a very special song with all of you.

It is a song that I had written long ago and never intended to tell or reveal to any pony.”

Now the audience was overjoyed.

Some of the ponies even chattered softly.

“A new song by Strings…!”

“I just love his music.”

“Wonder what it is.”

The lights darkened down, but the musicians hadn’t started playing until he gave them the signal. He had one special speech to give.

“This story was about a young pony who felt he could never find true love no matter how hard he had tried, and then as luck would have it, fate smiled upon him and he was able to turn himself around a little.”

Strings paused and then said to the crowd, “But this was only a story. It was scripted to happen this way.

…In real life, it is not always like this.”

There was a sudden soft exchange of chattering within the crowds.

“Some of us are not quite as fortunate as Shame was. Sometimes things don’t end happily.

I am not saying you should not be happy, nor am I acting entitled to that which I seek.

What I am telling you is to simply be aware of differences, and how we are all not like one another.

Some of us do not have that special someone. Some of us will never find that special someone, and sometimes we can set our hearts on a single individual, and forsake all others, and while some ponies are able to let go of their pasts and move on from their traumas… some ponies cannot, and never will.”

Some in the audience, especially Cadance and Twilight, were feeling concerned. Even more so when Strings looked way up at the royal box, right at Cadance.


“I would now like to share with you this song, which not only reflects upon how I feel, but strangely it can also reflect upon how Shame could have felt if things had gone wrong, and even how he felt all those years in isolation, unloved.”

He signaled the musicians to start playing his song, and the lights dimmed out, with just strings focussed in spotlight as soft and rather sad music played.

He looked up at Cadance from afar, and then he looked back down as he sang heartbreaking verses of being heartbroken, grieving, being unable to move on, and how nothing-- not hope, beauty, inner-beauty, or even good or passion-- could make things better.

…If I can’t love her-- then who?

Shining Armor felt pity for Strings, but sorry for him as well, as did Cadance.

Twilight and all her friends looked down at Strings feeling very touched by his song, but deeply concerned, knowing he was singing from his own heart and expressing how he felt-- without mentioning Cadance’s name at all, not wishing for any other pony to learn the truth.

Celestia and Luna had no idea of what this was about, as they never were informed, but they, like the entire audience began to feel moved and touched by the song.

Strings continued to sing, becoming more and more emotionally serious as he let his voice ring loud and clear and reflect upon how things could have been wonderful had the love he sought come true…

…But it’s not to be!

His head dropped forth, and he looked extremely heartbroken and down. His eyes were shut tight, and he grasped his chest, only his emotions felt so strong, he couldn’t gasp or cringe at the pain he felt inside.

If I can’t love her,

Let the world be done… with… Me!

A single tear fell from his shut eye, splashed on the stage, and he just stood there as the song came to a close.

The lights came on, and the audience… just burst up out of their seats cheering and shouting louder than they ever had all night! Even the actors on stage were cheering and jumping with praise

Flowers were thrown at Strings, but he didn’t seem to notice them. He just stood where he was behind the microphone, stiff as a board. He didn’t move, make a sound, or even blink his half-opened eyes.



Celestia blew her nose with a hankie, “I have never heard anything so deep and yet so lovely!”

Luna sniffled, “I agree.”

Even Cadance had a tear or two to shed, but more feeling sorry for Strings, knowing how hurt he was.

Shining Armor could only sigh at Strings and mutter, “Poor kid. I don’t know what to do for him.”

Rarity dabbed her eyes, “I thought I’ve understood heartbreak before.”

Spike could only cuddle up to her, not trying to comfort her, but because he felt touched and wooed a bit by the song and felt bad for Strings.

Twilight, however, noticed Strings still hadn’t moved an inch.

Then the director of the play came out and walked up to Strings, complimenting him. “That was the loveliest thing I, or any pony here has ever heard.

Strings, we cannot thank you enough, but I feel I speak on every-pony’s behalf when I tell you how appreciative we are of you music talents, and how much a credit we feel you are to all of Equestria.”


Strings still did not move or even blink!

Now the audience quieted down and began to feel something was wrong, especially when the director noticed, “…He’s not breathing!”

Gasps and concerned chattering began to erupt all through the theater.

“Is he alright?” asked Applejack.

“What’s wrong with him?” added Rainbow.

“Maybe he’s just tired?” suggested Pinkie.

Fluttershy had a sick feeling in her stomach.


The director called out for a doctor, and Dr. Horse who was visiting from Ponyville came up on stage. He put his ear to Strings’ chest and felt for his pulse.

Finally, he declared with much shock, “This pony is dead!”

More thunderous gasps erupted, and Cadance put her hoof to her mouth in shock along with Twilight and the others.

Dr. Horse could diagnose, “…His heart seems to have stopped!”

He tried all he could, but it was no use.


“…Strings!” Cadance cried softly as her tears began to flow.

Shining Armor stomped his hoof on the floor in anger, sadness. “Poor guy…”

Easily, Twilight felt the most upset; it was obvious to her that Strings’ heartaches were far worse, and he did technically warn her about it when he told her that his doctor suggested he move away and stop doing what made him unhappy.

Now he was dead, of a definite broken-heart.


What started out as a glorious and entertaining evening was suddenly changed to a funeral.

Many hearts had fallen with Strings’ passing; every single one of them wondering why and what happened to him.

Only Twilight, her friends, and her relatives knew why, but still kept it a secret among themselves, even long after Strings was buried. After all, it was Strings secret, and Cadance really didn’t want any more awkwardness, or concern to be focussed all on her or her friends and family.

As for Strings’ home and things he had sent to the storage lockers, they were all going to be auctioned off by other ponies.

Still, the gang was just in the dumps!

“When I think of those last lines he sang…” wept Fluttershy “…Let the world be done with me!” It’s like he was willing to go!”

Pinkie Pie had gone through what had to be her fourth box of tissues, and her fifth helping of water. She had cried so much she made herself thirsty.

“Now we’ll never get to hear his beautiful voice ever again!”

“Buck up, sugar-cube,” Applejack said trying cover up her own sadness “He’s in a better place now; where he can sing his little heart out.”

Cadance sat miserably on her throne, clutching the sheet music of Strings’ song.

She had personally ordered the song to never be released to the public. No one was to copy it, sing it, or write down the lyrics. It was her honoring to Strings’ memory, and keeping it the way he wanted it to be-- Forbidden. Just as well too-- nobody seemed to remember all of the exact lyrics to it anyway.

Still, she was very depressed and couldn’t stop beating herself up for what Strings had gone through; especially knowing it was definitely his feelings for her that killed him.

“It’s still not your fault.” said Shining Armor.

“I know it’s not, but it still feels like it.”

Shining Armor patted her and then motioned over to Twilight at the wall. She was emotionally beating herself up worse than Cadance.

The couple walked over to Twilight.

“You okay, Twily?” asked her brother.

His sister shook her head, “I feel so guilty. It’s like I drove Strings to his death.”

“Twilight, I know how you feel,” said Cadance, and she really did the way she had beaten herself over it, “But it wasn’t any-pony’s fault. It was just something that happened.”

Twilight was unconvinced, “But I pressured him into accepting the job, and it all makes sense to why he wanted to leave…” she referred to all his constant painful attacks when he clutched his aching chest “…He was trying to leave to save himself, and we stopped him.”

She then reflected back on how Cadance was right.

While it did seem like Strings wanting to give up his music and leave the Empire was a bit selfish of him, everyone else demanding he stay and be subjected to a life that was bringing him nothing but pain and discomfort while ignoring his own feelings, was just as selfish.

Rainbow felt really bad now. It was she who called Strings to be selfish, when it finally clued in, he was just trying to protect himself from his pain, and protect Cadance by not revealing his secret.

He knew Cadance was happy, and he wished no ill on her, he held no grudge, and didn’t even make the slightest move of revenge, or anything like that-- he just tried to let her be happy by keeping out of her life.

…None of it really mattered now.

Still, one thing they had all learned was to take what Strings said seriously.

Not all ponies are able achieve a happily-ever-after.

Some are even willing to forget happiness altogether because they didn’t have the heart or courage to move on and try something new. Then again, love often expresses itself in sacrifice.

…Every pony was just different and would go about their own ways in life.

Not that self-destruction was the best move to make for many, it all depended on the severity and reasoning behind it.


Every one promised to take note of this for the many other problems ahead that they would encounter.


A few days later, the entire gang stopped off at the Crystal Empire Cemetery, and Cadance placed a small wreath of flowers by Strings monument stone.

She looked down ever so miserably at the stone and the dedication on it.

“I’m sorry, Strings.” she muttered softly “Nothing will hurt you now, but I wish things could have been better for you.”

The others all felt as lowly as she did, and no one said a thing as everyone just stood still in the soft breeze.

Author's Note:

Well, Strings got exactly what he deserved for giving into Twilight's begging (Death) at least I don't have to shoot him myself. He should've left while he had the chance.

Still... I also studied and YES, you CAN die of heartbreak like Strings did. It's rare, and it's unlikely to happen, but it CAN happen. The stress and the sadness can be so overwhelming that it can cause Heart Failure and Tissue Damage.

No surprises! I actually DO research like the people yak at me about, and NOTHING has changes (More mocks, more petty downvotes, more mean-spirited flaming)

(the donwvotes and the flames are piling up already) Now I have proof that "DOING YOUR RESEARCH" doesn't help! (the people still don't care(

and I stand by my guns-- I'll only do research WHEN EXACTLY, AND WHERE EXACTLY IT IS NEEDED!!

Further proof: that loser keeps flaming me and even goes back on his own word (I'll only tear apart your blogs) and yet he flames my authors notes and my twitter, and constantly yaks that I still didn't do WHAT HE WANTS.

So, I'll just do what I WANT.

Comments ( 14 )

I liked it! :heart:
Bravo! Bravo!
*clapping for your.story!*

I seth Standmore have often been dondered about the if the singer's of song's were am as in love with the singer's song's ladies love the song's of the song's as the song's that the singer's song, you're story reflect's my interest's grately it was emotional moving and quiet facesitting

would you be interesting in writing a story where Spike and twilight Sparkle go to Nazi German and Hitler try's to befriend them but they realize that they should not be friends with Nazi's so they instead they shoot him in the kneecap's and it is called Friednship Is Failure: Die NaziS cum, I think that would be like what you would write it would be like this but instead of singing there is killing the Nazi's

anyway respond to me please I have a proportion for you sincerely Seth Standmore

Did you take a page from the Canadian show 6teen? The last few chapters in this story said as such, for the dialogue is similar to the lines the main cast of the 6teen show said in that Valentine's episode.

10669809

Yes... It was priceless to see that happen to Rarity. She WOULD try a stunt like that, and it would backfire

10383675
it's an interesting idea for sure, the most interesting part is that Hitler DID care about his country, he commissioned the autobahn, introduced one of the first anti-smoking campaigns, was a vegan, and his scientists went on to create Nike shoes, and the rockets eventually used by Americans.

10922358
ACKSHUALLY hitler only cared for the small part of the population of his country he thought deserved to exist as the poorly defined "german race", the rest he was glad to MURDER and STEAL FROM because he was EVIL and anybody who thinks otherwise is FOOL

-scoober

10923445
it's like the yin and yang, there is yang within the yin and yin within the yang. Hitler was plenty "yin" with everything he did to other races which will forever live in infamy, but within his yin, was also plenty yang, which helped shape modern Germany today

10923578

10923445

Kindly move this conversation to PMs please.

10923847
ok, i forgot

I've seen bits and pieces of this story, and it's a beautiful swan song, although I thought strings death was cliche, (despite it being researched) it was still chilling nonetheless,

I'm also stoked to hear that some of the show's voice actors follow your Twitter, congrats!

also, one more thing, if strings left and quit music, what would he have done instead?

11015772

what would he have done instead?

Live miserably ever after

11015785
i expect that, but i meant job-wise. would he try to seek employment or would he just collect benefits or possibly royalties for his songs?

11015790

It's not part of the story, nor is it important.

11015793
i see, im just curious about these things is all, I'm gonna guess he would make his money through royalties of welfare. BTW, your latest story was pretty creative.

Login or register to comment