• Published 14th Feb 2020
  • 834 Views, 14 Comments

Friendship is Failure #18: If I Can't Love Her... - DakariKingMykan



Twilight tries to console a depressed singer

  • ...
49
 14
 834

Act 5: Giving in

ACT FIVE

Strings was as agravated as he could possibly be.

“Begging your majesties’ pardons,” he grumbled “…Don’t you ponies have any decency of respect?! What I do in my private life is my own decision! I just want to move away from this empire in peace! Is that so much for you to understand?!”

He puffed and panted after his rant, while the others all expected him to react this way, and they didn’t even raise their voices in anger.

Instead, Cadance approached him softly, and she noted the nervousness he expressed as she got nearer, but she had to ask anyway. “Strings, I want to know, and tell the truth.” she paused “…Do you have feelings for me?”

As usual, Strings did not answer, and as usual he didn’t have to. Just looking up into her eyes, his expressions of sadness and discomfort, and finally, a tiny tear leaked from his eye.

“…You are.” said Cadance.

Twilight and Shining Armor felt a mix of concern, pity, and yet a little sorry for him.

“…It’s true.” Strings confessed “I was hoping you would never find out.”

He explained the complete truth…


“The day that I met you, and you taught me the creativity song; it changed my life. I was inspired to make music and wrtie songs.

You were my greatest inspiration that enflamed my growing passion for the art, and from there I began to write up songs of romance, true love, maybe a little heartbreak here and there.

I would never have become the singing star I was were it not for you.

When you complimented my songs, and expressed how proud you were of me, it was only then that I realized my feelings for you.

…But too little, too late! You were already seeing Twilight’s elder brother, you had been crowned princess.

It was then that I already knew I didn’t have a chance, especially the day that changed my life once again… Your engagment, and preparations for the Canterlot Royal Wedding.

Still hopelessly in love, I decided to keep my feelings a well-gaurded secret, fearing that your knowlegde of it would only cause you shock, discomfort, even embarassment perhaps.

But above all things, it would worry you into have concerned thoughts for me.

…I didn’t want that.”


“Why not?” asked Twilight “She could have at least tried to help you, maybe even find some other pony to love.”

Cadance nodded in agreement, and Shining Armor said “There’s plenty of fish in the sea, or in your case; there’s tons of mares out there. Many of them actually dream about being with you.”

…But Strings shook his head. “As I already explained to your wife and your sister-- that is impossible.

I tried to let it go. I even moved away from Canterlot to get as far away as I could from the princess, and came to the Crystal Empire.

If I had known she and Shining Armor would be ruling the place, I probably would have gone someplace else.

True I had many fans, many of which were female, but I knew they were not potential matches for me-- the way they would always fawn over me, only wishing to talk about music and cool things, and not one of them ever treated me like a normal pony.

Even still, my heart remained tied to the princess. My love and my true feelings were only for her, and if I could not have her, well… then I decided I would rather stay alone.”

The trio felt shocked at what they had just heard.

“You mean, just give up?” asked Cadance “Never try to experience the joys of true love?”

Strings nodded, “As I said, Princess, my feelings are only for you.”

He then turned to Shining Armor. “You were right; there are plenty of fish in the sea, but none of which that I desire. So I choose never to cast my line again.

Some men do that-- they wish no other, so they don't try again."

“But that’s just plain foolish!” protested Shining Armor.

“I agree.” said Twilight “Just because you can’t be with one pony doesn’t mean you have to throw your life away.”

“No, it doesn’t. I agree.” said Strings “But what if the life you have is no longer what you desire? What if it’s doing you no good and only bringing you great pain?

That’s exactly all I feel now, and no amount of creativity will do me well this time.

I even saw my doctor, and it was recommended that I leave the empire and stop doing what makes me unhappy, due to no other option, and it isn’t good for my health.”

“Enough!” snapped Twilight, deciding she had heard enough, “I won’t let you do this to yourself, and neither will the princess.”

Cadance agreed “Strings, you can’t keep on this self-destructive path. It’s no wonder you’re all torn-up inside.”

Strings tried to protest and warn her, “You don’t understand…”

“We understand plenty.” said Shining Armor “Look, we can understand that it was difficult for you to let go of Cadance, but you can’t just run off and abandon all your fans like this.

…They love you, and they would be crushed if you just suddenly quit.”

Strings sighed, “I am well-aware of this. But consider this: have I done anything to protest to your marriage to the princess?

Have I tried to break you up?

Have I done anything out of spite, or tried to cause you discomfort because of your love?”

The trio fell silent.

“You see! I knew the princess was happy, and I wished her and her friends and loved ones no harm. I beared no grudge. You might even consdier my trying to keep my feelings a secret as a favor to you, knowing it would cause all these emotional arguments!”

Twilight finally realized this, and started to feel maybe she was being a little too hard on Strings by trying to get him to stay, just like her friends warned her about the other night.

Now here she was dragging Cadance and Shining Armor into it too.

“I’m so sorry,” she said to everyone “I was just trying to make things better for every-pony. Instead, I may have made things worse.”

Shining Armor and Cadance felt they understood why she did, but Strings was still as outraged as ever, and before Twilight could try to applogize to him to, String, feeling ever so upset and guilt-ridden softly said, “Alright… I’ll do it.”

The trio gazed at him.

“…I will preform in your musical, Princess.”

Cadance was near speechless. “You will.”

Twilight tried to insist, “Strings, you don’t have to. No one’s force--” she was cut off in mid-sentence when Strings raised his hoof at her.

He did not say out loud that he was merely doing this to stop all the fussing, and casuing Cadance so much trouble-- he was doing this for her.

“…On one condition.” he reached into his vest and handed her some sheet music “I request this song be played at the finale durring the end credits.”

Cadance read the music, and while there were no lyrics, being able to read and recognize musical notes and tones, she could tell, “This is your forbidden song.” but rather than question him, and curious about what the song really was, she agreed to do it and went off to inform the musicians so they could practice.

“But what about your big move?” asked Shining Armor.

“I haven’t sold my house yet, so I don’t really have to leave right away.”

“So, does that mean you’re considering on staying?” asked Twilight.

Strings did not answer, and this time netierh Twilight nor her brother could tell what he was thinking.

Strings just left, jumping out an open window and flying off home to prepare for the big musical.

While Shining Armor was confused, he was relieved that String had condeced, and gave Twilight a playful nudge. “You’re something else, sis. Thanks.”

Twilight was greatful, but she didn’t look it.

Author's Note:

People are often ONE-SIDED when it comes to the subject of feelings and emotions.

People mock and flame Strings thinking he's being selfish and rude. Well, getting him to STAY and CONTINUE to do what is making him unhappy is SELFISH and RUDE as well. They're not caring about his feelings, just as long as HE DOES what THEY WANT, and his feelings are ignored.

Well, since they all act that way, I do the same thing, like with Beast Boy, Terra and THINGS CHANGE. People keep sticking with Terra, as if she should be happy, and "SCREW BB and how he feels" That's all I ever hear "Terra wants this" "Terra wants that" "Terra deserves happiness" "BB should suck it up and move on"

Well, that's one-sided, so I may as well stick to one-side myself.

...Especially considering that EITHER WAY is Selfish and or WRONG to someone. (Be it you or me)