• Published 14th Feb 2020
  • 834 Views, 14 Comments

Friendship is Failure #18: If I Can't Love Her... - DakariKingMykan



Twilight tries to console a depressed singer

  • ...
49
 14
 834

Act 1: Refusal

ACT ONE

Cadance had taken Twilight to her room, and Shining Armor joined them. They were all listening to a record of a love song, written by a fantastic and well renowned music artist named Strings.

The melody was soothing, and the lyrics so enlightening. The three ponies sighed heavenly.

“That Strings. What a voice.” remarked Shining Armor.

“I could listen to his works all day.” agreed Twilight, “And to think, he lives right here, in the Crystal Empire.”

Cadance giggled, “And, you’ll get another chance to hear him live.”

She then showed Twilight a programme for an upcoming Hearts and Hooves Day musical production she had written and was producing. It was a story about a lonely and ugly male pony desperate to find true love, but was often rejected and shunned for his appearance and left him feeling hopeless and bitter towards anyone who would dare try and help him.

“Never mind all that.” Cadance said “It’s a musical, and I have written a letter of request to Strings to be the narrator.”

Twilight practically leapt with excitement. “That would be wonderful. Why, imagine how many ponies would be interested in coming if they knew he was in the cast alone.”

“And that’s not all…” added Shining Armor “All the money we make from ticket sales goes to charity. We’ll be able to feed every-creature anywhere.”

As Twilight read over the play, and enjoyed the story, there was a knock at the bedroom door.

“Enter.” called Cadance.

A royal guard came in and apologized for intruding. “A letter has arrived for you, Princess. It is from Strings.”

Cadance took the letter, thanked the guard, and dismissed him.

She opened the letter, and out fell a cheque.

Shining Armor picked it up and gawked at the amount, “Twenty-Thousand bits?!”

Twilight was astounded, and wondered why Strings would enclose such an amount, but Cadance stood shocked and confused as she read the letter over.

“What’s wrong?” asked Twilight.

Her sister-in-law didn’t respond, and Twilight just took the letter and read it aloud.

“Dear Princess Cadance…

I am flattered that you would have chosen me to be a part of your production; unfortunately I am sad to inform you that I must decline your invitation. Please don’t ask why. I have my reasons.

I apologize for any inconvenience. However, in honor of the charity events, I have enclosed a cheque with a generous amount.

Sincerely Yours: Strings.

PS: Please refrain from replying to this letter, or sending me any other.”

A moment of silence followed as all the ponies looked back and forth at one another.

The donation was very nice, but Strings’ refusing, a royal invitation that many ponies would give their souls for a chance to have?!

“It doesn’t make sense!” said Shining Armor “He just refuses without giving an explanation and tells us not to reply anymore?”

Twilight examined the envelope the letter had come in, which showed Strings’ address.

Cadance was still flabbergasted. “I was preparing to tell the entire kingdom he’d be performing. I already have all the notices ready for posting.

What am I going to do?”

First thing that came to Shining Armor’s mind, “…Find another singer? I mean we still have many candidates we can ask to take the job.”

Much as Cadance agreed, she didn’t feel too much better as she really wanted it to be Strings, as he was her personal favorite and the best she knew.

“Wait!” said Twilight “…Let me go and talk to him.”

Her relatives looked at each other, and having confidence in her skills, they agreed to give her a chance.

“Don’t tell him we sent you,” cautioned Cadance “And at least try to figure out why he won’t come.”

Twilight agreed, “I’m on the job.”


Meanwhile, Rarity was starting to get bored at her stand. The big rush she had at the start was already over, and after a few hours, not a single bid had been made since the last one.

What really bothered her was that many handsome and seemingly dateless stallions passed by her stand but didn’t bother to look her way.

Rainbow fluttered down.

“Wow! It’s a regular ghost town here.”

“Obviously.” grumbled Rarity.

“So how much money have you made?” Rainbow asked and checked Rarity’s clipboard. Her eyes then bugled at the sight of the prices which were all very high.

“How much did you charge for the starting bid?”

“No less than exactly one-hundred bits. After all, one must be able to pay their way for Hearts and Hooves.”

Rainbow blinked once, but figured this was why Rarity’s business was slow. “You might want to consider starting over and lowering the price. Say… ten bits?”

“What?!” snapped Rarity “Don’t be ridiculous, Rainbow Dash. I’m a lady of class, with dreams of prestige and…”

“That doesn’t mean every-pony is. Rainbow cut in “You shouldn’t be doing this just for those who are wicked rich.

Look, just start out low. Build it up, and I’m sure loads of more ponies will want to pay for it.

Rarity pondered and given that her bids hadn’t risen in a bit, she felt she had nothing to lose, and re-opened her stand.

Applejack and Pinkie Pie came along.

“Well I just can’t believe my eyes.” Applejack said gawking at the, now, low bidding amount. “Rarity settling for minimal amounts? I must be dreaming.”

Pinkie Pie gave her own self a few pinched and pats on the face. “Nope, if I’m awake, so are you.”

Rarity was not impressed with their wit and raised her head importantly. “I happen to be as fond of charitable events as the next pony.”

Applejack and Pinkie were next surprised as two dashing and handsome young stallions came up to the stand, and one of them placed a bid.

“Hope I win.” he said giving her a playful wink, which made Rarity’s insides quiver warmly.

The two ponies went off, and Rarity sighed heavenly as she slumped softly into her seat.

“See. I told you.” said Rainbow.

Rarity didn’t seem to hear her as she was lost in a daze.



Twilight, having taken the envelope with her, flew over the village looking for the correct address.

She found it! It was a simple, ordinary house, which Twilight found odd as she expected that a great singer like Strings, who obviously had money to burn, would live in a big mansion or something in the open country. Nevertheless, this was the right address.

A neighbor stallion that lived on the block came passing by with grocery bags, saw Twilight, and cautioned her. “…If you’re looking for Strings. He might not be home. He loves to step out most of the time.”

Twilight walked up to the door, and found a sign which read “Stepped Out. Be Back Later.”

“Well maybe I can talk to his wife instead.”

The other pony chuckled. “His wife…? That kid lives here alone. I don’t think he’s ever had a date.”

Twilight blinked once in concern.

“Then again who could blame him?” said the other pony “I don’t think he’s ever fallen in love with any-pony.”

Then he went on his way.

Twilight found this to be more perplexing than ever.

She figured on maybe waiting at the house until Strings came back… when suddenly, she could hear very faint and soft sounds of piano music coming from inside the house.

It was very faint but it was there. It sounded like a very deep and moving song, almost sad even, but nobody was heard singing, just the music playing.

Twilight felt someone had to be home, and knocked on the door.

The music stopped almost at once, and she could then hear the sound of scrambling, almost franticly.

Then the door opened, and there stood a red Pegasus with a short blonde mane, and a cutiemark of musical notes on a staff. He wore a green vest and wrapped around his neck was a pure white scarf.

She also could see the padding on the inside of the door, and figured the walls in the house were padded as well to make the house near sound-proof so as not to disturb neighbors.”


Strings was surprised to see who it was. “…Princess Twilight Sparkle?”

“Um… Hello.” Twilight responded “Sorry to drop in on you like this, I thought you were out.”

She motioned at the note on the door.

“Oh. I forgot to take it down when I came home. Thank you.”

He took the note and was about to go back inside when he noticed Twilight gawked strangely at him. “Did you want something more?”

Twilight didn’t know what to say without seeming too suspicious.

“I can’t hedge around; I heard that you turned down Princess Cadance’s offer to be in her musical.”

Strings shut his eyes as if he were trying to control himself. “I have made my decision.” he said calmly but firmly. “I don’t wish to reconsider. Now if you will excuse me, I am very busy.”

“Wait!” Twilight called “The Princess would like to know why you’ve declined.”

Strings suddenly groaned and clutched his chest with his hoof.

“What’s wrong?” asked Twilight.

Strings took a few deep breaths.

“Are you sick?” asked Twilight.

“No, no.” Strings answered “It’s just a little pinch. It comes and goes.”

Then he noticed another pony was approaching his home.

“Uh… I think you should leave now.” he said in a panic, and tried to hurry Twilight along.

“Wait, what’s going on here?!” Twilight demanded to know.

“Please, just go!” Strings snapped, but it was too late. The pony was revealed to be a realtor, and she had brought a “For Sale” sign to put by the house.

“Here you are, Mr. Strings. Where do you want it?”

Twilight looked at Strings with a mixed expression of shock and confusion.

Strings, feeling overly nervous and clearly upset, simply disappeared inside his house and shut the door.