• Published 16th Dec 2011
  • 5,283 Views, 126 Comments

The Equestria Scrolls - Speven Dillberg

  • ...
5
 126
 5,283

Chapter 3

Qa’Dar’s ears twitched. At first he dismissed it as the normal sounds this forest made. When the sounds refused to stop, he turned around, sure that his mind was simply playing tricks on him. What he saw in the distance, from where they had come, was proof to the contrary. “We have company,” he hissed at his friends.

Avik and Llevana exchanged glances. “More wildlife?”

“Could be,” the Khajiit replied. “I can’t tell yet.” He slowly drew a dagger as the Redguard hefted his ebony axe. The dark elf focused on her majicka, her hands filling with fire and lightning. The three stood ready to fight, sure they could take down whatever came at them.


Storm Surge raised a hoof, signalling for the two unicorns following him to stop. “I don’t know what these things are, so be prepared for the worst. Arcane Light, get ready to put up a barrier. Firebolt, if they attack hit them with everything you’ve got.” Both unicorns nodded, understanding their orders. “Worst comes to worst, Nimbus will show the reinforcements where to strike. Do Equestria proud, boys.”


“Here it comes,” Avik whispered.

“Don’t attack straight away,” Llevana hissed.

“Why not?” Qa’Dar asked.

“It could be harmless. Or killing it would only bring more. And we don’t have enough potions to keep us alive if we get swarmed.”

“Llevana’s right,” the Redguard replied. “I’d rather run from a battle we don’t need than get caught in one we could have avoided.”

“Wise words,” the Khajiit said, nodding. “Being around Llevana is rubbing off on you.”

Normally, Avik would have risen to words like that. He was far too preoccupied, though, with worrying about what was coming through the trees towards him and his friends. He thought he saw something metallic in the shadows, making him tighten his grip on his weapon.


Storm Surge caught a glimpse of his quarry, a gleam of metal, likely from a drawn weapon. “Get ready,” he whispered. He took a deep breath and stepped out into the open, keeping his head high to make it seem he was more confident that he actually was. Close behind him and to his left and right Arcane Light and Firebolt did the same, Arcane’s horn glowing in preparation.


Llevana had done many things in her rather short life. She had fought Draugr, taken down an Dwarven Centurion single-handedly, contracted Sanguinare Vampiris and explored more ruins than she could remember. None of this, absolutely none, could have prepared her for what she saw in front of her.

She had seen armored horses before. One didn’t move through the Empire without seeing a few soldiers on horseback. What was odd was that these ones were wearing helmets. What was even stranger was that two of them appeared to be unicorns, but not like the unicorns she had seen in Cyrodiil. They were not pure white, but grey. And they seemed smaller, closer in height to the miniature horses noble families bought for their daughters. And the one in the middle, the one she thought of as their leader... Wings? she wondered. How?

She almost collapsed from shock when the winged one spoke. “Halt,” it said in perfect Tamrielic.

“By the Divines,” Qa’Dar muttered. “I must have fallen on my head. Why else would I see a talking horse?”

The winged one cleared its throat. “State your business in Equestria.”

“That’s the name of this place?” Avik asked.

The horse thing raised an eyebrow. “You don’t know?” The other two shared what Llevana imagined to be curious glances. It felt strange giving such qualities to such animal-like beings. All three relaxed visibly, their confusion defeating their discipline. “Well, I am Lieutenant Storm Surge.”

“I am Llevana,” the dark elf replied, thinking how strange this entire situation was.


Storm Surge was unsure what to do: there was nothing in any of the manuals about what to do when encountering a new race, lest one that didn’t even know where they were. That all three spoke perfect Equestrian was even more unnerving.

All three looked vastly different, despite their similarities. The one with the axe had reddish-brown skin, what little could be seen under the bronze armor. The one with fire and lightning in its claws had red eyes, pointed ears and purplish skin that made her (the voice seemed to suggest it was a female) more intimidating than the armor the red-skinned one wore, despite the thin blue robes she wore. The last... the only way he could think of describing it was ‘cat-like’. It had a grey and black coat, it had a tail, it had gleaming yellow eyes and what suspiciously looked like actual claws. These differences led him to believe that he was dealing with three completely separate species, as opposed to sub-races like the ponies were divided into.

They seemed peaceful enough, though the way they handled their weapons with ease filled him with dread. He could tell he was dealing with experienced warriors, and that he and his colleagues stood little chance. The Royal Guard had seen little in the way of actual battle in decades, and all he had to fall back on was tactics that he was sure were useless against bipedal foes. Diamond Dogs, maybe, but Diamond Dogs were never this well armed.

Arcane Light leaned close to Storm Surge. “Sir, what are your orders?” he whispered.

After a moment the pegasus responded. “I ask that you sheathe your weapons. Failure to do so will be seen as an act of aggression and we will act accordingly.”

The armored red-skin chuckled. “I think we can fight against a bunch of talking horses.”

Storm Surge was taken aback at the sheer rudeness of that statement. It took a moment for him to regain his composure. “You may wish to take back those words, stranger.” As he flared his wings Firebolt’s horn began to glow a dangerous red. “As strangers to our land you are obviously unaware of what we are capable of.”

“Like what?”

Storm glanced up and saw that Nimbus had done exactly as he had asked. The pegasus sat atop a large black storm cloud, surveying the situation from above. Storm nodded and Nimbus pushed a hoof into the cloud, forcing from it a large crack of thunder and a bolt of lightning that struck not three feet behind the guard ponies. “Weather control,” Storm Surge said calmly as the three jumped backwards and looked in awe. “I’ll ask again. Sheathe your weapons.”


Llevana couldn’t believe what she had just seen. One of the horse things had created actual lightning! Not mage-sparks, but an honest-to-Kynareth lightning bolt!

She turned to Avik, who had lost his balance and dropped his axe in shock. “If you do anything to aggravate them, Avik, you are on your own,” she said menacingly.

“You heard the horse-thing, Redguard,” Qa’Dar muttered as he sheathed his dagger. “You should listen. I don’t want to see you fried.”

Avik simply sat on the ground and gaped. He had felt fear before. It was natural, with the amount of fighting he did, to be scared. Scared of injuries, scared of losing, scared of death. But this, this was something much worse, something he couldn’t describe. Some instinct, something that had been forced into dormancy had woken.

These horse-things, they were more terrifying that trolls, than Daedra, than even his own mother.


Storm Surge was dimly aware of Nimbus Strike descending and landing behind him. He was amazed at how easily the three strangers had been subdued. Shock and awe was always a good tactic, but even he had underestimated how effective it would be. Now that they seemed to be much more cooperative, and peaceful, he decided it was time to get out of the Everfree.

“If you wish, we shall lead you out of the forest and take you to our Princess.”

“Thank you,” the dark-skinned one known as Llevana said. “This place makes me uneasy.”

“A princess, you say?” the cat-thing asked. “We get to meet actual royalty?”

The red-skin slowly stood up and took a deep breath. “If you can promise us safety, then we will follow.”

Storm Surge saw that as a reasonable request. “We shall do what we can.” He turned to Nimbus. “Go ahead and inform the others of our guests. It shouldn’t take long for us to arrive.”

Nimbus took to the air, saluted, then vanished from sight as he flew at full speed towards Ponyville.

Storm turned to the others. “If you’d care to follow,” he said politely.

Comments ( 36 )

Okay, this was difficult. Hopefully now things will get a bit easier.

Pure badassery right here. you sir win tweny free interwebz:pinkiehappy:

aww yea updatin in the mornin swaggaaaaaaaaaaa



sweet chapter
loving this shit

i'm also hoping some sort of other creature will appear in ponyworld ( maybe a dovah ) and you'd have the three take them out with help from the ponies

Finally a fic where the ponies aren't portrayed as helpless.

A race that has powerful and varied magic, and controls the weather to such a degree is NOT something to mess with lightly.

Wow. I like where this is going:pinkiehappy:
Keep on writing!

#6 · Dec 20th, 2011 · · ·

Ok, I held off on rating until now. You can have all these stars now!

they are afraid of lightning when they can use it as well?

77509
It's different. As Llevana thinks, it's not mage-sparks, but actual lightning from a cloud. Only the dragons can do that, and as far as she's concerned they're little more than a myth.
It's like the difference between having a lighter and being able to snap your fingers and set a tree on fire.

77479
Probably helps that this is Equestria's military we're seeing here.

77517
It does help, but military or not, a lot of fics seem to portray the ponies as a bit pushover-ish.

Just saying a race that can whip up blizzards/tornadoes/lightning so easily, or has 1/3 of their population using magic, or can control the day/night cycle to such a degree would be one hell of a problem for invaders.

77509

BIG difference between actual lightning and what Elder Scrolls mages use. Think of the difference between a human generated bolt from a Tesla Coil vs a lightning bolt from a lightning storm.

*sqeeee!*

Loved it! I can't wait to read this to my fiancee today! soo much fun!

A REDGUARD SCARED OF SOMETHING MORE THAN HIS OWN MOTHER!?:pinkiegasp:

TAKE ALL OF MY STARS! I ask that you simply keep doing what you're doing with this awesome fic. But please, redeem the poor Redguard. I can't let my second favorite race fail like that.

Haha, nice! :pinkiehappy:

I was really amused by the guards bluff. A shame they had to make such a bluff, but it is pretty understandable that even if they did stay in really good technical shape they would have no clue how to go about fighting such totally different creatures.

Really loving this so far. I am a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls (though I have only played Oblivion and Skyrim)

77471 there are already dovahs in equestria. look at spike.

You're getting more and more interesting with each chapter. Keep up the awesome work!

78125
Sure, but that takes concentration, time and a fairly skilled mage. This took a single swift kick from a flying enemy. If even half of the winged ones can do that with any regularity, resistance is a quick death. This was just posturing to start with. Also, how do we know she is that powerful of a mage in the first place? What a hero wields and what 90% of the population of the world is exposed to is likely to differ. That said, flying enemies who can cast high level destruction spells with little apparent effort is a nightmare all by itself.

Dear Mr. Author

Type faster.

Sincerely,

Everyone

A quick look at the Elder Scrolls wiki has told me that I could make Celestia and Luna, quite easily, into Azura and Nocturnal. After all, immortal goddesses need their kicks.

Please don't?
Let's keep the characters their own, okay?

pls deploy updeets

Oh god I feel bad about this.
I don't know where to go with this right now. Sorry...

maybe u should deploy updeets

but i'm not gonna pressure ya

do whatevs

afterall i did stop updating my fanfic for about a week

IDEA. Since the trio can from a eyelid ruin, and something in the ruin sent them to equestria, maybe something less friendly into the world as well.

I read:yay:, and saw no more chapters:flutterrage:, then saw it was On Hiatus, then I got sad:fluttercry:...

202523
I'm sad too, because this has SO MUCH POTENTIAL that I can't figure out how to use!

Please do, that will make really, really intresting

Elder scrolls crossovers tend to be awesome. This is no exception. The characters work well together and it's pretty funny as well.
Please continue this?

This is good stuff, need moar.

A Khajiit, a Dunmer and a Redguard walk into Ayleid ruin.

Seems like the start of a joke, not a description for a story.:pinkiehappy:
I will read this now.
~N

This is great,
Please continue.:twilightsmile:
~N

Login or register to comment