• Published 5th Mar 2020
  • 3,949 Views, 409 Comments

Game Quest: Super Mario 64 - Phantom-Dragon



Princess Twilight Sparkle and friends arrive in the Mushroom Kingdom to help Mario and his buddies rescue Princess Peach.

  • ...
3
 409
 3,949

Whomp's Fortress | The Great Mission To Rescue Applejack

Once again, after entering the portrait, our heroes fell through a wormhole. It wasn’t long before they were sent spiraling toward a blinding light just at the other end, swallowing them whole. The heroes quickly shut their eyes to protect themselves from the brightness.

Eventually, the brightness subsided as they found themselves emerging through the opposite end of the wormhole. Our heroes soon arrived toward their destination – A floating fortress in the sky, surrounded by small grassy fields resembling gardens.

Just as they hit the surface, Mario and Yoshi performed a front flip and landed upon their feet, with Spike flapping his wings to gently slow his descent, while Pinkie Pie’s mane suddenly inflated, acting as an automatic parachute until she landed safely upon her hooves.

“Woo-wee! What a ride!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed, before looking around. “So… Where are we now?”

As our heroes studied their new surroundings, Spike reached into his backpack and whipped out the map. He turns to a golden sparkle of magic at work, as two words display to reveal their new destination: “Whomp’s Fortress”. Everyone crowds around Spike, as they noticed thee Power Stars glowing on the map.

“According to this map, there should only be three Power Stars to collect here,” Spike stated.

“Yoshi!” Yoshi shook his head.

Yoshi reminds the little dragon of their first Power Star search through Bob-omb Battlefield, drawing 8 circles in the dirt, surrounding a Power Star.

“Yoshi!”

“Oh… Right!” Spike nodded. “There’s also some red coins and… 100 gold coins to collect… So, you’re saying…”

Yoshi nods his head in confirmation, as Spike nods along. Understanding each other, the two give a fist bump.

“Hey guys!” Pinkie Pie cut in. “What’s this about coins? I thought we are looking for Power Stars.”

“Ideally yes, but you see back in Bob-omb Battlefield,” Spike began. “The Bob-omb Buddies told me and Yoshi some of the Power Stars were broken into coins when Bowser attempted to steal them. The only way to bring them back is to collect an exact total of 100 coins, including 8 red coins.”
Yoshi nods along with every word Spike said.

“Then, what are we-a waiting for?” Mario began. “Let’s-a go!”

“Okie-Dokie!” Pinkie Pie chirped.

Suddenly, as Pinkie Pie hopped on her hooves, her whole body starts vibrating vigorously once more.

“Ooh! My Pinkie Senses are tingling! They’re telling me to go THIS-A WAY!”

With a point of her tail, Pinkie Pie and Mario take off climbing up the fortress, leaving Spike and Yoshi behind.

“Well, guess it’s just you and me again, huh Yoshi?” Spike asked.

Yoshi nodded with a shrug, as both he and Spike searched the base of the mountain.

“We do make a great team, though? Just think: A dragon and a dinosaur. Go figure. When you think about it, we’re practically… Cousins!”

Yoshi turned toward the little dragon, bewildered at the statement before looking up in alarm.

“YOSHI!!!”

Yoshi pulled Spike close, right when he nearly collided into a large plant, with a red bulb covered in white spots, and rows of teeth that gave the bulb the distinctive appearance of a head. Spike immediately remembered the plants being one of the few the pair encountered in the course world of the Goomboss and his Goomba army. Luckily for the two, it was asleep.

“Phew! One more step and I’d be a goner…” Spike whimpered.

Yoshi simply nodded, silently and grimly, when the two boys noticed a sign in front of the sleeping plant creature, which reads:

‘I’m sleeping because… I’m sleepy. I don’t like being disturbed; please walk quietly. And please don’t throw eggs at me!’

Spike and Yoshi turned to each other, holding their fingers up to their mouths, and shushed, ‘Shh!’. The two heroes slowly tiptoed to the side, careful not to startle the sleeping plant awake, until they were at a safe distance.

“Boy, that was close,” Spike sighed.

It was then the little dragon turned his head and noticed they were both standing next to a shadowy star mark.

“Bingo! We found a Star Marker! Which means there are some red coins to collect.”

“Yoshi!”

Luckily, a Bob-omb Buddy happened to be nearby.

“Hey! Let’s ask this guy,” Spike suggests, calling out. “Excuse me! Bob-omb Buddy! We’re friends of your from the ‘Bom-omb Battlefield’. Do the names Spike and Yoshi ring any bells?”

“Oh! I remember you two!” The buddy said. “You’re the guys who took out the Big Bob-omb! You guys are really super, you know that?”

“Thanks! Anyways, can you help us out with something? We’re looking for some red coins and we know you Bob-omb Buddies can detect them, like metals to a magnet. So, can you—”

“It’ll be my pleasure!” The Bob-omb buddy anticipated, gleefully.

Spike and Yoshi present the map to him, observing as he works his magic, making all 8 red dots appear on the map.

“There you go!” The Bob-omb buddy declared. “All 8 red coins waiting to be found with a Power Star waiting to be recovered! Good luck!”

“Thanks!” Spike waved.

Spike and Yoshi turned to begin their hunt for the coins, when the Bob-omb buddy called out:

“Oh, and while you’re at it, keep a lookout for red caps! They’re really chic; I keep seeing them around here lately.”


Speaking of red caps...

After they left Spike with Yoshi, Mario and Pinkie raced up the slope, taking them to the top of the fortress, and collected 5 gold coins along the way.

Coins Collected

Mario and Pinkie = 5 coins

Spike and Yoshi =

Total =

“Ooh!” Pinkie Pie squealed excitedly. “This is so exciting! It’s like the super-duper, most fantastic treasure hunt in the whole Mushroom Kingdom!”

“Oh yeah!” Mario nodded, in agreement.

Suddenly, as Mario turned, he spots something that made his eyes widen.

“Look out!”

The plumber pulls Pinkie Pie back, just as a moving block thrusted itself out from the walls, nearly shoving her off.

“Whoa! That was a close one!” Pinkie exclaimed.

Pinkie turned toward the moving block, as an astonished expression appears on her face.

“Oh, hello! I’m Pinkie Pie. What’s your name?”

But rather than answer, the block resumes thrusting itself out, attempting to shove the pony away.

“Hey! No need to be all pushy!” Pinkie scolds, turning to Mario. “What’s eating this guy?”

“I don’t-a think they’ll a-listen, Pinkie-A Pie,” Mario said. “These are Bomps. They’re-a living stones, just-a like the Thwomps. They’re evil creations of Bowser’s, to push and shove anyone that stood in front of-a them.”

Mario then turns toward the second of the three Bomps before them.

“But it’s-a good thing they can’t-a look-a up!”

With a jump and a lunge, Mario snatched a floating red coin from the air as he flies across the third Bomp, landing on his hands, and rolled himself up on his feet.

“Ha-ha!” Mario laughed, triumphantly.

Wow!” Pinkie Pie gasped, with starry eyes. “That was so AWESOME!”

“Thank you, Pinkie Pie!” Mario smiled.

The plumber proceeds to add the red coin to their collection.

Coins Collected

Mario and Pinkie = 7 coins (5 gold coins + 1 red coins

Spike and Yoshi =

Total =

“Let’s-a go!”

As Mario and Pinkie Pie resumed their climb up the fortress, it was convenient that they should stumble upon some yellow arrows painted along the wall and floor. Some stone platforms moved in and out of the wall, allowing Pinkie & Mario to cross the gaps to reach the next platform, where they were nearly stomped on by a large moving block of stone, encrusted with stone round-ended spikes, and an angry expression on its face.

“Phew, that was a close one,” Pinkie Pie breathed heavily. “I gotta lay off the sweets!”

Pinkie turns to see Mario approaching two blocks of red bricks, before throwing a punch, smashing one into rubbles, revealing a green glowing mushroom. Mario picks it up, and it emits a jingle resembling a ringing bell.

“Wow, Mario!” Pinkie smiled. “They don’t call you ‘Super Mario’ for nothing!”

Mario simply smiled, before he breaks the next block of bricks and collected three gold coins from the rubble.

Coins Collected

Mario and Pinkie = 10 coins (8 gold coins + 1 red coins

Spike and Yoshi =

Total =

Pinkie Pie looked and noticed a green transparent floating block with a ! in the center, "Hey, what's this?" Pinkie Pie asked, before she reads a sign post next to the block. "When you step on a strange ! Switch hidden in the castle, the ! Blocks of the same color will become solid. Some of these blocks have useful items inside. Get the items by breaking the blocks. But beware! Some blocks are duds."

"Hmmm," Pinkie turned to Mario and asked, "Hey Mario. Do you know of any ! Switch back at the castle?" Mario simply shook his head in response, "No, I guess not. Where do you think it could be? And what do you think could be inside these ! blocks?"

“We’ll-a find out later, Pinkie Pie,” Mario replied. “But first, we’ve got to find some Power-a Stars!”

Mario and Pinkie Pie resume their trek up the fortress, climbing some large steps while avoiding the stomping block of stones called Thwomps.

“You know, these Thwomps are real block heads!” Pinkie commented.

Mario laughed at Pinkie’s joke, as he collects the second red coin, floating above the second Thwomp’s head.

Coins Collected

Mario and Pinkie = 12 coins (8 gold coins + 2 red coins

Spike and Yoshi =

Total =

Once they reached the top of the steps, Pinkie Pie and Mario look down toward the ground and spots a yellow arrow pointing right, directing their attention toward a flight of steps. At the top, a sleep plant with jagged teeth could be seen.

“What is that thing?” Pinkie asked.

“It’s a piranha plant,” Mario explained. “They are large carnivorous plants that will-a eat just about anything.”

“Yikes!” Pinkie Pie grimaced. “It’s a good thing this one’s asleep.”

“But look!” Mario pointed.

Before their very eyes, they spotted a red coin… Right behind the plant. Mario and Pinkie exchange looks, and they shushed, ‘Shh!’. They slowly tip-toed up the steps, sneaking past the sleeping Piranha Plant, and pick up the red coin.

Coins Collected

Mario and Pinkie = 14 coins (8 gold coins + 3 red coins

Spike and Yoshi =

Total = 14 Coins

"We got it!" Pinkie whispered happily, as she and Mario tried to sneak away from the sleeping plant, only for Pinkie's tail to brush across the plant's jaw. The plant creature started to twitch.


Meanwhile, back with Spike and Yoshi

A few minutes earlier...

Spike & Yoshi fought off two goombas and collected two gold coins. They soon came across a flowerbed surrounded by 8 gold coins, which they didn’t hesitate to pick up, bringing them a total of 10 coins. But the number of coins collected didn’t end there, as the two stumbled across two wooden poles, standing next to the Star Marker.

“Hmm… Two more poles, like the one holding that Chain Chomp back in the Bob-omb Battlefield,” Spike commented. “Good thing there’s no Chain Chomps in this place.”

“Mmm-hmm…” Yoshi nodded.

The little dinosaur proceeds to jump up and ground pound one of the poles into the ground.

“Yoshi? What’re you doing?” Spike asked.

Rather than answering, the green dinosaur kept pounding that pole, until five more gold coins sprang up from the Earth.

“Whoa! I think I got it!” Spike realized.

Spike turns to the next wooden pole, leapt toward the top and attempts to stomp it down with his feet. When that didn’t work, he decides to bounce on his tail like a jackhammer, which proves to be more effective, and thus earning him 5 gold coins for his efforts.

“That makes 20 coins for us, Yoshi!” Spike smiled.

Spike and Yoshi shared a quick high five as the scoreboard is displayed.

Coins Collected

Mario and Pinkie = 14 coins (8 gold coins + 3 red coins

Spike and Yoshi = 20 coins

Total = 34 Coins

After collecting the coins, the two were well on their way, jumping over a fence and landing in another part of the green landscape surrounding the fortress. They soon passed a large block of red bricks, jumping across a gap in the ground, which would’ve lead them to a long drop through the sea of clouds below. The two soon stumbled upon a corner, where they came to a sudden halt, nearly crashing into another sleeping Piranha Plant.

“Shh!” The two exchanged shushes.

The boys quietly crawl passed the sleeping plant, until they were at a safe distance.

But our heroes didn’t get very far, when a large black missile was fired toward from a black cannon, with a picture of a skull painted on the side. The most bewildering parts was the missile itself appeared to have a face along the nose, with angry eyes, a mouthful of sharp teeth curled into a menacing grin, and a pair of white arms along the side.

“Oh geeze!!” Spike yelped.

The little dragon quickly hit the ground, his arms over his head, while Yoshi stood his ground, staring down at the incoming missile. Moments before the missile struck its targets, Yoshi immediately shot his tongue out to snatch the missile out of the air, before spitting it back at the cannon, destroying it and the three orange-red bricks next to it.

Upon breaking the bricks, Spike and Yoshi were rewarded with a total of 9 gold coins which they quickly collect.

Coins Collected

Mario and Pinkie = 14 coins (8 gold coins + 3 red coins

Spike and Yoshi = 20 + 9 = 29 gold coins

Total = 43 Coins

Afterward, they come across three wooden poles, much like the last two they stomped earlier. Knowing the drill, Spike & Yoshi went to work, once again stomping the three wooden poles into the ground, earning them a total of 15 gold coins.

Coins Collected

Mario and Pinkie = 14 coins (8 gold coins + 3 red coins

Spike and Yoshi = 29 + 15 = 44 gold coins

Total = 58 Coins

After they were done, Yoshi looks up and his eyes widen with glee.

“Yoshi!”

Yoshi points at a single red coin, nestled in the midst of three flowerbeds.

“SCORE!!” Spike shouts gleefully.

Spike flaps his wings to collect the coin. Suddenly, as he reached out for the red coin, three piranha plants burst out from the ground and attack, viciously snapping their jaws at the young dragon.

“AAAH!!!” Spike screamed.

Completely caught off guard, Spike ducked his head down, his arms over his head, and huddled himself into a ball.

“Yoshi!” Spike called. “Help!”

“Yoshi!” Yoshi screamed.

Yoshi quickly came to the rescue, as he shot his tongue out to snatch up the piranha plants and swallowed them whole.

“Phew!” Spike sighed, in relief. “I thought I was a goner that time. Thanks for the save, Yoshi!”

Yoshi smiled toward the young dragon, before he felt a strange sensation in his mouth, causing him to spit out three blue coins, which they didn’t hesitate to add to their collection coins, including the red coin they went through the trouble of collecting.

“Every little bit helps,” Spike replied, as Yoshi nods in agreement.

Coins Collected

Mario and Pinkie = 14 coins (8 gold coins + 3 red coins

Spike and Yoshi = 61 coins (1 red coins + 44 gold coins + 3 blue coins)

Total = 75 Coins

Spike & Yoshi continue their treasure hunt, when they happened upon a clear crystal ball floating on a piece of land, separated by large gaps on both sides.

“Another crystal ball?” Spike noted. “Guess that means there are some silver stars to collect, doesn’t it?”
Yoshi nods in agreement, before looking up and chirped excitedly:

“Yoshi! Yoshi!”

“What is it, Yoshi?” Spike asked.

Spike followed the dinosaur’s hand as he pointed to a Power Star that was on a floating platform, just above a couple of goombas on another, surrounded by wired fences.

“I got this!” Spike declared.

With a flap of his wings, Spike flew up to grab the Power Star, making it their first start on the course.

“Yeah, I got a Power Star!” Spike cheered, as the star danced around him.

“Yoshi!” Yoshi cheered.

This did not go unheard as the goombas immediately turn their heads toward the dragon and Yoshi.

“Oops!” Spike spoke, with a sweat drop.

The Goombas charged toward the duo, as they immediately flew into action as they fought off the two, with Spike throwing a punch at one Goomba, knocking it off its feet, sending it flying towards Yoshi, who swallowed it whole and lays an egg, which he immediately threw at the other goomba, and they explode into puffs of smoke, leaving behind 2 gold coins in their place.

After collecting their prizes, Yoshi and Spike happened upon a blue coin switch, which Yoshi ground-pounds on, revealing 4 blue coins, to which they didn’t hesitate to collect, earning them a total of 22 coins.

Coins Collected

Mario and Pinkie = 14 coins (8 gold coins + 3 red coins

Spike and Yoshi = 83 coins (1 red coins + 46 gold coins + 7 blue coins)

Total =97 Coins

"AAAAAAAAH!!!" A scream was heard from above, to which the two boys were very familiar with.

"Pinkie Pie!" Spike shouted, as he and Yoshi raced off to the rescue, hoping they weren't too late.


“Let me go!" Pinkie wailed, with her tail in the jaws of the Piranha Plant. "I’m sorry I woke you up! Now please, let me go!”

Pinkie Pie found herself in a serious predicament, as the Piranha Plant tried to eat the little pony. She struggled to pry the plant’s mouth open, but the beast was relentless.

“Hold-a still, Pinkie!” Mario called out.

With a jump, Mario stomped his feet on the Piranha Plant’s head, causing it to release its mouth, and it disappeared into the ground, leaving behind a single blue coin and Pinkie Pie.

“Mamma mia!” Mario exclaimed, surprised.

Mario picks up the blue coin, increasing their collection.

Coins Collected

Mario and Pinkie = 19 coins (8 gold coins + 3 red coins + 1 blue coin)

Spike and Yoshi = 83 coins (1 red coins + 46 gold coins + 7 blue coins)

Total =102 Coins

Then, in a flash of light, the coins our heroes collected all float in the air, forming together to become: A Power Star. A dazed Pinkie Pie recuperates just enough to catch a glimpse of the star.

“Ooh! Pretty!”

“Oh yeah!”

Both Mario and Pinkie Pie collect the Power Star and perform a victory dance.

“Yeah! We got a Power Star!” Pinkie Pie sang.

“Yahoo!” Mario whooped.

“Hey!”

They turn just as Spike and Yoshi arrived on the scene.

“That’s our line!” Spike said.

“Yoshi!” Yoshi chirped in agreement.

“Oh, hi Spike! Hi Yoshi!” Pinkie greeted. “Where’d you come from?”

“We just came from the base of the fortress,” Spike replied. “We were collecting coins when we heard you screaming, Pinkie Pie. Looks like you’ve been busy! Collected a hundred coins already?”

“What? Oh no, no, no!” Pinkie Pie giggled. “This was a team effort! Check the scoreboard! You and Yoshi found 83 coins, while me and Mario only found 19! Put them together and we get 102 coins total!”

Spike, Yoshi, and Mario all blinked for a moment. Eventually, they simply shrug it off.

“Anyway…” Spike spoke, breaking the silence. “Now that we’ve got a Power Star from collecting 100 coins, we should keep looking for more.”

“Yoshi!” Yoshi nodded.

“You’re right-a Yoshi!” Mario replied. “We can’t-a forget the 8 red coins we need to collect for another Power Star.”

“You mean like that one?” Pinkie Pie pointed, with her tail.

They turn and their eyes spot another red coin positioned on a narrow ledge.

“I’ll get it!” Mario volunteered.

Mario proceeds to shimmy across the narrow ledge, collecting the red coin.

Coins Collected

Gold Coins: 54
Red Coins: 5
Blue Coins: 8

Once Mario shimmied to the other side of the ledge, he lets out a loud, “YAHOO!”

“Mario!” Spike shouted. “Behind you!”

“Yoshi!”

But it was too late. Mario failed to notice he stood too close to a sleeping piranha plant, which stirred away from Mario’s whoop and immediately snapped its jaws at him, angered to be disturbed from its slumber.

“Mamma mia!”

Mario jumped overhead, narrowly avoiding the snapping jaws of the angry plant monster.

“Whoa!”

Mario nearly tripped on his landing, almost falling off the edge of the platform, had he not grabbed onto the ledge.

“Hang on, Mario!” Pinkie Pie shouted.

“I’m-a hanging!” Mario replied. “I’m-a hanging!”

Spike flapped his wings, as he flew to help the super plumber hero. Spike breathed a ball of green fire at the enraged Piranha Plant, which exploded upon impact, and the plant creature immediately disappeared in a puff of smoke.

“You okay, Mario?” Spike asked.

“Yeah, I am!” Mario smiled, pulling himself back up. “Nice-a job, Spike! Way to go! Number one!”

Spike simply blushed over the compliment, just as Yoshi and Pinkie Pie arrived, having shimmied across the narrow ledge. Just then, Pinkie’s senses tingled more violently.

“Oh! My Pinkie Senses are detecting one of our friends nearby!” Pinkie said, before her tail shook. “Ooh, and I’m grooving! We’ve got to get to the top of the fortress!”

“Oh yeah!” Mario agreed.

“Yoshi!” Yoshi chirped along.

Once again, the heroes resume their trek toward the top, waiting for a rotating wooden platform to spin in a counter clockwise motion toward their direction. Eventually, it stopped and allowed them to cross onto it, standing along the center of its rotational point. The platform proceeds to spin again, until it stopped, granting them access to the other part of the fortress.

Eventually, Mario, Yoshi, and Pinkie Pie got off and were well on their way. Spike was about to catch up, when from the corner of his eyes, he spots a red coin floating in mid-air, between a row of two gold coins. With a flap of his wing, Spike proceeds to collect the red coin in the middle.

Coins Collected

Gold Coins: 54
Red Coins: 6
Blue Coins: 8

Along the way, Spike turns toward another red object, resting just along a floating platform, connected by a long wooden plank acting as the bridge.


Back with the rest of the heroes

“YIPE!!!”

Pinkie Pie, Mario, and Yoshi watched as a large rectangular stone monster with a menacing snaggle-toothed face, simple hands and arms, and legless feet charging toward them. Pinkie Pie looks up, wide-eyed, as the monster towered over her and proceeds to fall over, face-first, in an attempt to flatten the pink pony into pancakes.

“AAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!”

*Pause button hit*

Hmm… I’ve heard of MLP’S Cupcakes. But MLP Pancakes?

*Clears throat*

… Fine!

*Turns off pause*

“AAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!” Pinkie Pie screamed.

Pinkie Pie would’ve been flat as a pancake too, had Mario not pulled her out of the way, and the monster landed on its face and couldn’t get up. From that position, the heroes quickly noticed the monster’s back was cracked and covered in bandages. Not wasting another second, Mario and Yoshi jump above the fallen blockhead, curling themselves forward and performing a ground-pound atop the monster, crushing it into rubble, disappearing in a puff of smoke, and left behind five gold coins.

Coins Collected

Gold Coins: 59
Red Coins: 6
Blue Coins: 8

“What was that monster?” Pinkie asked.

“That was a Whomp,” Mario lectured. “Another of Bowser’s evil-a minions. They may be big and strong, but as you can-a see, they’re not too smart when they attack.”

“Yoshi!” Yoshi chirped, in agreement.

“Really?” Pinkie asked. “Then, you might want to tell him that!”

Pinkie pointed to a second Whomp, charging at them. Much like its other comrade, the second Whomp came charging at the heroes, but it tripped and fell on its face, allowing both Mario and Yoshi to once again, stomp it into rubble and retrieve five gold coins.

Coins Collected

Gold Coins: 64
Red Coins: 6
Blue Coins: 8

“That was easy,” Pinkie Pie smiled.

The party pony and the guys continue on their way, until they reach the top of the fortress, where they confront another Whomp. But unlike the other two Whomps they contended with, this one appears to be ten times the size of an average Whomp, and he wore a large golden crown atop his head.

“I am the Whomp King, and I am mad!” The giant Whomp bellowed. “It makes me so mad! We build your houses, your castles, we pave your roads, and still you walk all over us. Do you ever say thank you? No! And on top of that, some orange pony came and poked her nose in places where it don’t belong, so I locked her away!”

“That’s my friend/’possible’ cousin Applejack!!” Pinkie Pie barked, outraged. “You’re going down, Whomp King! Mario and I will wipe the floors with you, free Applejack, and get back the Power Star!”

“Oh yeah!” Mario agreed, assuming a fighting stance.

“Yoshi!” Yoshi agreed, doing the same thing.

Yoshi turns to the side seeing Mario and Pinkie Pie on his right, before noticing Spike was missing.

“Yoshi?”

“Well, you’re noting going to wipe your feet on me!” The Whomp King roared. “I think I’ll crush you just for fun! Do you have a problem with that? Just try to pound me, the Whomp King, wimps! Ha!”

The fight began as the Whomp King stomped his foot, as he thunders across the fighting arena. With every stomp, the ground shook beneath his feet, knocking the heroes off balance and they fell to the ground. They look up, just as the Whomp King fell over attempting to smash his adversaries, but they roll aside as he exposed his back to the heroes. But unlike his fellow Whomps, the Whomp King’s back was marked by a circle with a star symbol, designed to resemble something seen in action-packed comics, surrounded by cracks.

With a nod of their heads, Mario, Yoshi, and Pinkie Pie jump upon the Whomp King’s back, curling their bodies forward to execute a triple ground-pound, with Pinkie’s tail morphing in the shape a jackhammer. This attack infuriated the Whomp King, since their combined attacked cracked his back further. The stone monarch rose upon his feet, once again thundering across the arena. But this time, instead of falling on his face like before, the Whomp King stomped his foot down, sending a powerful shockwave across the arena, stopping Mario and Yoshi in their tracks, as they shook violent from the trembling shockwave. Pinkie Pie managed to jump clear of the shockwave in the nick of time.

Furthermore, upon stomping his foot, three miniature Whomps appeared from the ground, staring at the heroes with menacing glares. Unlike normal Whomps, these miniature versions only had one tooth; their faces are flatter, their bodies less rectangular, and they had square, arm-less hands.

“Attack Pattans!” The Whomp King ordered.

Apparently the three mini-whomps are ‘Pattans’.

That's what they're called in Super Mario Galaxy 2. You haven’t played this game in a while, have you?

Guilty as charged.

After they recovered from the shock, Mario and Yoshi came to their senses, seeing the Pattans charge toward them and Pinkie Pie. Like their master, and the previous two Whomps, the Pattans flop forward attempting to squash Mario and his two comrades. But our three heroes jump to the side, evading the attacks, watching as the Pattans immediately disintegrated upon hitting the ground.

“Not as strong as they look, for a bunch of blockheads,” Pinkie Pie commented, giggling.

Nevertheless, the Whomp King kept fighting, as he angrily stomped his foot, unleashing more violent shockwaves at our heroes. Thankfully, Pinkie Pie anticipated the attack, quickly spinning her tail like a helicopter’s propellers to get airborne, carrying Mario and Yoshi safely away from the shockwave.

As the Whomp King kept stomping, he failed to notice another Mario climbing the flagpole before reaching the top. The Mario copy turned himself around, aiming his nose at the Whomp King, whose back was turned. Setting his sight on the target, the Mario duplicate kicked off, hurdling himself at the Whomp King’s back in a flying kick, catching the unsuspecting Whomp King off guard, and he fell forward on his face in a tremendous thud.

“OOF!” The Whomp King groaned.

The Mario copy proceeds to stomp his foot on the stone monarch’s back, as everyone else looked on.

“Way to go, Mario!” Pinkie Pie cheered.

“Uh, Pinkie Pie?” The real Mario called, drawing her attention. “I’m still here.”

“Huh?”

Before Pinkie Pie could question, Yoshi released his grip on the pink pony, landing onto the arena, and ran to the other Mario.

“Yoshi?” Yoshi chirped.

Though from Spike’s perspective via Mario’s cap, making him ‘Spike-Mario’, he was saying:

“Spike? What are you doing?”

“I’m-a trying to break this-a monster’s back!” Spike-Mario replied. “What’s it look-a like I’m-a doing?”

“You’re stepping on him, that’s what. If you want to break a Whomp, do it like this!”

The dinosaur demonstrates by jumping in the air, curling his body forward into a ground-pound stomp, breaking the Whomp King’s back further upon impact.

“Ooh!” The Whomp King groaned.

“Oh, I get it!” Spike-Mario spoke.

The little guy was about to deploy the same technique, when the Whomp King rose upon his feet, catching Spike-Mario and Yoshi off guard. The two heroes nearly slide off, but quickly grab onto the edge of the Whomp King’s stony structure atop his head.

“Look!” Mario pointed. “Yoshi and-a Spike are all hanging on-a top of his head!”

“Actually, it’s more like his face,” Pinkie Pie commented. “Kind of hard to tell which is which since he’s got no body. Get it? No body?”

Boo! *Hurls a tomato* Get out of the game!

Before Mario could respond to Pinkie’s bad joke, the Whomp King angrily stomped his foot on the ground, sending another shockwave toward the heroes, and summoned five more Pattans, which the Whomp King sic upon Mario and Pinkie Pie.

“Run for it!” Pinkie Pie shouted.

The party pony and Mario ran around the arena, the Pattans in hot pursuit, and all the while, our heroes tried to avoid the Whomp King’s thunderous stomps, which sent more paralyzing shockwaves at them. In the meantime, the Whomp King struggled to get Spike-Mario and Yoshi off him.

“Get off of me!” He growled, struggling to reach for the two heroes. “Curse these tiny stony arms!”

Spike-Mario and Yoshi held on with all their might, as the Whomp King tried to shake them off.

“Hold on, Yoshi!” Spike-Mario said.

“I am!” Yoshi replied. “Whoa!”

Without warning, the Whomp King jumped up and down, repeatedly stomping his feet, sending more powerful shockwaves almost as strong as an earthquake. The Pattans stop in their tracks as they bounced in place, while Pinkie and Mario rattled and shook. Spike-Mario and Yoshi bounced up-and-down atop the king’s head, until they end up dangling over the Whomp King’s face, hanging by one of his eyelids.

“Yikes!” Spike-Mario yelped.

The pair were completely terrified, as they stared into the menacing gaze of the stone monster. The Whomp King readies himself to fall on his face again, threatening to squash both Spike and Mario.

“Consider yourself smashed, Super Mario!” The Whomp King grinned menacingly.

“Actually, I’m not Super Mario!” Spike-Mario smirked.

He proceeds to remove his hat, revealing his true dragon self, much to the Whomp King’s surprise.

“Just Spike the Noble Dragon!”

Spike blew the Whomp King a raspberry, as he took Yoshi by the hand and they jump off before they got flatten. The Whomp King struggled to regain his footing, but it was too late. With a thunderous crash, he fell on his face again, smashing the unfortunate Pattans unable to get out of the way.

To add insult to injury, Mario and Pinkie Pie got out of the way just as the Whomp King landed, exposing his back to the two heroes, thereby allowing them to ground pound on top of him, breaking his back for the last time.

“No… Crushed again!” The Whomp King moaned in agony. “I’m just a stepping-stone, after all. I won’t gravel… Er, grovel. Here, you win. Take this star with you. And your friend is directly below… Darn it!”

The Whomp King’s left hand tapped on the arena, displaying his surrender, before disappearing in a burst of smoke and rubble. In his place is a Power Star, while a hatch slides open in the middle of the arena.

End of Fight Song

Pinkie Pie and Mario quickly grab their third Power Star, as it danced around them.

“Yay!” Pinkie Pie cheered. “We got another Power Star!”

“Oh yeah!” Mario cheered, looking around. “Hey, where did-a Yoshi and-a Spike go?”

“We’re over here!” Spike called.

Mario and Pinkie Pie turn their heads, catching Spike and Yoshi standing on a floating isle, shaped like an arrow.

“Spike! Yoshi!” Pinkie Pie smiled happily. “You’re both okay!”

“What’re you doin’ over-a there?” Mario asked.

“Kinda jumped off the Whomp King at the last second,” Spike replied. “Or else we’d be turned into pancakes.”

“Yoshi!” Yoshi chirped.

Just then, the little dinosaur points toward two more red coins on the next floating isles.

“Yoshi and I will get those red coins,” Spike replied. “That’ll give us another Power Star!”

“Yoshi!”

“Okie-dokie-lokie!” Pinkie replied. “We’ll go down and free Applejack! We’ll catch up with you guys later!”

“You got it, Pinkster!” Spike replied.

“Yoshi!”

Mario and Pinkie Pie turn their attention back to the opened hatch, and jump right in.


Deep within the fortress, in a dark room, a rustic cage sat as its prisoner has been bucking the cage for hours trying to get out. This was Ponyville’s apple-farm pony and the Element of Honesty herself, Applejack. Like the rest of her friends, since arriving in the Mushroom Kingdom, trouble found them in the former of Bowser and his fellow baddies, who captured them all and imprisoned them. Applejack had been stubbornly bucking the cage door for what felt like forever, but no matter how hard she tried the cage refused to open.

Finally, she gave up and plopped onto the cage door, removing her hat, and fanning herself.

“Boy howdy, what I’d sure give to be back in Sweet Apple Acres right now,” Applejack sighed, missing her home. “Buckin’ trees from dawn to dusk, hangin’ with my friends and family. Instead of bein’ trapped in this here like a bird in a gilded cage.”

Then, without warning, a ray of light suddenly shines down from above, banishing the darkness surrounding the country pony’s prison.

“Wut in tarnation?!” Applejack exclaimed.

“WHEEEEEE!!!”

A familiar squeal is heard as Pinkie Pie fell into the room, landing on her hooves. Mario curled himself into a ground pound, just an inch away from the floor, to lessen the impact.

“Hiya Applejack!” Pinkie Pie chirped happily.

“Pinkie Pie!” Applejack smiled. “I’m sure glad to see ya!”

The country pony’s turned brighter when she saw Mario next to her friend.

“You as well, Mario!”

“Ello, Applejack!” Mario greeted happily. “Are you okay?”

“I will be if ya’ll get me outta here.”

“Then stand-a back!”

Mario grabs the bars in an attempt to bend them, grunting with every ounce of strength he could muster.

“Can’t… Bend… Bars… Too… Thick!”

Pinkie Pie attempted to pry the bars open with her hooves, even attempting to saw through with a file from her mane. Neither method did any good.

“Need cupcakes!” Pinkie Pie grunted. “With sprinkles!”

“Stop it you two!” Applejack said. “Ya can’t get me outta here like that! Ya need to hit that there switch!”

The pony pointed to a large strange transparent orange box, with an exclamation point in the center.

“Oh! Why didn’t you just say so in the first place?” Pinkie Pie giggled. “A.J., you silly pony!”

“Don’t call me that,” Applejack said.

But it seemed to go unheard as Pinkie and Mario rushed to hit the switch, which immediately opened the cage, freeing Applejack. Before she could limber out, Pinkie Pie ran towards the country pony, tackling her in a loving hug. Applejack merely hugged back, so tightly she didn’t want to let go.

“Applejack!” Pinkie Pie yelled happily. “I’m so happy you’re okay!”

“Heh… I was just gonna say the same to you, sugarcube,” Applejack smiled tearfully. “How’d ya ever find me here?”

“Oh, it wasn’t easy, but let me tell you,” Pinkie Pie began, clearing her throat. “First, we had to fight the Whomp King, who held you prisoner. But not before we had to fight two of his Whomp Guards and before that we had to climb up the fortress, while avoiding some sleepy, cranky Piranha Plants. But even before that, we had to avoid some moving blockheads called Thwomps and some Bomps, but first we had to enter this place through a magic painting in Princess Peach’s castle. But let me tell you A.J., that wasn’t an easy thing, since me and Mario had to be rescued by Spike and his new pal, Yoshi, in order to—”

“Wait! Hold it, hold it!” Applejack exclaimed, interrupting Pinkie Pie’s story. “Spike’s here?”

“Eeyup! All the way from Equestria!” Pinkie concluded, with a smile.

Before Applejack could ask further questions, the whole fortress shook violently.

“Wut just happened?”


A few moments earlier...

After defeating the Whomp King, Spike and Yoshi continued their coin hunt for the two remaining red coins, all the while collecting the other gold coins along the way.

The arrow-shaped floating island there were on had a total of 8 coins, which Spike collected as and Yoshi jumped on a floating block of concrete, where a red coin rested. After collecting the coin, the two jumps to the next three floating isles, which were round-shaped and spinning. The second isle had a ring of 8 gold coins, while the third has the last red coin the needed to collect.

Coins Collected

Gold Coins: 64 + 8 + 8 = 80
Red Coins: 6 + 2 = 8!
Blue Coins: 8

“Yoshi!” Yoshi chirped excitedly.

The little dinosaur points to the ground, where the star marker is, as a Power Star materialized the moment they collected the final red coin.

“Yeah! We struck Power Star!” Spike hollered excitedly.

Spike and Yoshi turned back the way they came, to collect their prize. They returned to where the Whomp King once stood when the entire structure suddenly shook.

“What’s happening?” Spike asked.

“Yoshi?” Yoshi replied, expressing his uncertainty. “Yoshi!”

The dinosaur points, directing the young dragon’s gaze to the structures of a tower rising from the ground. The shaking came to a stop when the tower finally reached its full height.

“Spike! Yoshi! Up here!” Pinkie called from above.

The boys turn up seeing the party and Mario at the top.

“Pinkie Pie!” Spike called. “Are you alright?”

“Never better!” Pinkie Pie smiled, showing a Power Star. “And look, we got a Power Star!”

“Awesome! That makes a total of four stars we’ve collected so far!”

“Sounds like ya’ll have been busy!” Applejack commented, making herself known.

“Applejack?!” Spike exclaimed. “Is that really you?!”

“Of course, it’s me, Sugarcube! I thought I’d never see ya again.’

“Just stay there! Yoshi and I will find a way to get down.”

“No need, Spike!” Pinkie Pie replied. “We’ll just take the elevator!”

Spike and Yoshi both turned to exchange dumbfounded looks toward each other, before turning back to Pinkie Pie.

“There’s an elevator?” Spike called out.

“Yup! Here we come!”

The three heroes both got onto a platform, that immediately took them down toward a flight of stairs, which took them to the bottom where they met Spike and Yoshi.

“Applejack!” Spike smiled.

The little dragon happily hugged the country pony, to which she returned the embrace, before breaking apart.

“Pinkie and Mario filled me in on wut’s goin’ on,” Applejack began. “So, wut’s next? Do ya know where to find the next Power Star or two?”

“Yoshi and I just collected the last red coins,” Spike replied. “We were just on our way to collect the Power Star that came with them.”

“Yoshi!” Yoshi nodded.

“Well then, let’s go get it, Sugarcube!” Applejack declared, excitedly.


After climbing down the fortress, our heroes approached the Star Marker, which both Spike and Yoshi discovered earlier. There, as promised, the Power Star danced in the air, waiting to be collected by our heroes.

“Here we go!” Mario hollered.

All at once, the heroes grab the Power Star, making it the fifth star they’ve collected. The star danced around Spike, Mario, Pinkie Pie, and Yoshi as they dance and cheer.

“Yeah! We got a Power Star!”

“Yoshi!”

Applejack simply blinked her eyes, taking a moment to comprehend her friends’ cheerful display of victory.

“Uh… Wut was that all about?”

“That’s just how we celebrate after collecting a Power Star, silly!” Pinkie Pie explained. “You oughtta try it, it’s fun!”

“Oh yeah!” Mario added, giving a thumbs up.

“Really? Well, I’ll keep that in mind,” Applejack shrugged off. “Now that the fun’s over, is that all them Power Stars?”

“Not yet,” Spike shook his head, whipping out his map. “According to the map, there’s still at least two more to collect.”

Spike motions to the flashing stars indicated on the map, pointing to each one.

“There’s one up here, and another one somewhere along this pool of water. Once we collect the last Power Stars, we’ll be done with this place.”

“Yoshi,” Yoshi shook his head, tapping the spot where they found the crystal ball.

“Oh yeah, that’s right,” Spike nodded. “I complete forgot about the crystal ball.”

“What crystal-a ball?” Mario asked.

“Well, shortly before Yoshi and I came to help you,” Spike began. “We discovered this crystal ball, much like the one we found in an earlier painting, which required five silver stars to reveal the Power Star. But the strange thing is: There are no Silver Stars in this place, or they would’ve shown up on the map.”

“How are we going to get that Power Star?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“Hmm… Y’know, now that I think about it,” Applejack began, pondering. “When I was caged up back in that there fortress, ah remember hearin’ one of them goons mentionin’ somethin’ about a switch that reveals a Power Star in them fancy crystal balls, somewhere round here. If I recall correctly, they say they hid the switch under some block of bricks over there.”

Applejack points to the gaps in the wall, just beneath the moving platforms Pinkie and Mario crossed earlier. Our heroes investigate and found the block of bricks Spike and Yoshi passed earlier.

“Stand-a back!” Mario said.

The plumber quickly throws a punch at the brick, breaking it into rubble, revealing a yellow star-shaped switch with a white ‘!’ painted on it.

“Who would’ve thought this would be here?” Spike asked.

“It’s all in the fun of game development,” Pinkie Pie stated. “They sure love throwing a little puzzle to test their players’ intelligence.”

Everyone else gave Pinkie Pie some odd looks before stepping onto the switch, activating the star in the crystal ball on the other side, as it appears on the map.

“Look! The star!” Spike pointed.

Suddenly, no sooner do our heroes activate the switch, they heard a loud ticking noise, echoing from somewhere.

“Uh… What is that-a noise?” Marios asked.

“My guess is a timer,” Pinkie Pie deduced. “I should know, I always set a timer whenever I’m baking cupcakes, pies, and cakes with the Cakes back home in Ponyville.”

“Hmm…” Applejack pondered, scratching her chin. “Then my guess is that we have to collect that Power Star before the ticking is done, or it’ll disappear.”

“Then, let’s-a go!” Mario shouted.

Super Mario and friends took off running around the bass of the fortress, passing a sleeping piranha plant, which immediately snapped awake as soon as the heroes passed it.

“Sorry for waking you, Audrey II!” Pinkie Pie apologized.

Afterward, the heroes were well on their way, racing to the other side, rounding the corner, where the crystal ball was in sight, with the Power Star just inside.

“The Power Star!” Spike shouted.

At the moment, the ticking quickened its pace, indicating the end was coming.

“Oh no!” Mario shouted. “It’s going to disappear!”

“Not on ma watch!” Applejack shouted.

With a kick of her strong legs, Applejack rocketed forward, throwing herself toward the crystal ball, smashing it into a glitter of light.

“Yee-haw!” Applejack hollered, as the sixth power star danced around her.

“Alright, Applejack!” Pinkie Pie cheered.

The party pony and all the others gathered around the country pony, showering her with praise.

“Way to go!” Mario congratulated. “Number one!”

“Now we only have two more to find!” Spike said, studying the map. “We’re close to the next one, it should be in this pool here.”

The heroes jump over the fence, back onto the platforms where Spike and Yoshi previously fought off some Goombas. From there, they ran up a ramp, meeting with another Bob-omb Buddy.

“Hye look! It’s a Buddy!” Pinkie Pie chirped. “Hey Buddy!”

“Hi!” The Bob-omb Buddy greeted. “I’ll prepare the cannon for you!”

The hatch besides the Bob-omb Buddy opened, granting access for the heroes.

“Ready for blastoff! Come on, hop into the cannon!”

“Uh… Beg yur pardon?” Applejack asked.

“One of our buddies spying on Bowser’s goons confirmed they have hidden a Power Star inside one of those walls,” The Buddy explained.

The Buddy directs the heroes’ attention toward the walls, where Mario nearly got bitten after making the mistake of disturbing a sleeping piranha plant, earlier.

“Do tell, do tell,” Applejack nodded, understanding. “But wut does that have ta do with us in a cannon?”

“If you’re gonna get the Power Star, you need to get into the cannon so we can blast you out and break the star out of the wall.”

“Are ya crazy?!” Applejack exclaimed, outraged. “You’re gonna break our skulls than the wall!”

“Don’t worry, Applejack!” Pinkie Pie assured.

She quickly reached through her mane and tail, pulling out some safety helmets, which she immediately strapped on her friends’ heads.

“Good thing I’ve packed safety helmets, in case of safety helmet emergency!”

“I knew can always count on you, Pinkie Pie,” Spike commented.

“I don’t know,” Applejack said, uncertain. “I’m not sure if this’ll be enough ta protect our heads from being blasted out a cannon.”

“Let’s a do this!” Mario said, hopping into the cannon.

“Mario! Wait!” Applejack shouted.

The country pony rushed toward the cannon, as it rose from the ground.

“Are ya sure about this? I wouldn’t want ya to get hurt.”

“Don’t-a worry, Applejack,” Mario replied. “My brother, Luigi, and I blast ourselves out cannons lots of-a times! I’ll-a be okay.”

“Ooh… I can’t watch this!” Applejack cringed, pulling her helmet over her head.

“Ready?” The Bobomb Buddy asked, readying the cannon.

“Ready!” Mario replied, giving a thumbs-up from the cannon.

“FIRE IN THE HOLE!”

The Bob-omb Buddy lights up the cannon’s fuse, aiming for the wall. Suddenly, Mario realized too late that his aim was off.

“WAIT!!!”

Too late. Mario was blasted out of the cannon, flying off into the sky, narrowly missing the wall before coming back down.

“Mama miaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!”

“MARIO!!!” The Equestrians shout.

They jump into the poll of water, calling out for their Italian friend. They search for him in the sea of clouds he most likely fell into.

“Mario?!” Pinkie Pie screamed. “Mario, where are you?”

“Up-a-here!” Mario called from above.

Our heroes look up and discover the plumber hero had fallen onto a floating cage.

“Mario!” Applejack called. “Are you okay?”

“I’m okay, Applejack!” Mario called out. “And even-a better! I found-a Power-a Star!”

Mario revealed the seventh power star, which danced around him, showering him with golden sparkles.

“Oh yeah!”

“Way to go, Mario!” The friends cheered.

“Hate to break up the celebration ya’ll, but how are ya gonna get down from there?” Applejack asked Mario.

“Don’t-a worry, Applejack,” Mario said.

The jumpman climbs to the top of the cage and leapt forward in a lunge, diving down into the pool, rolling forward to break his fall before flipping himself back onto his feet.

“Oh yeah!”

“Whoa!” Spike exclaimed. “That was AWESOME!”

“What was that move you did?!” Pinkie Pie asked.

“That was-a break-a-fall!” Mario replied. “It’s-a handy maneuver that every experienced parkour guy, like me, needs to learn to prevent-a injuries!”

“Wow!” Pinkie Pie beamed, with starry eyes. “You are so awesome!”

“Thank-a you, Pinkie Pie,” Mario smiled. “But my brother, Luigi, is-a better at parkour. He’s the real-a legend! There's even a full documentary of-a him!”

Finding Luigi – Legend of Parkour by Nintendo

“Sounds like he could teach me a thing or two about parkour,” Spike said, expressing interest.

“Well, if we’re all done talking,” Applejack began. “Can we get back ta getting’ the last Power Star?”

“I got this one!” Pinkie Pie volunteered.

The party pony already zipped off, jumping herself into the cannon.

“Pinkie! Wait!”

“Fire in the hole!”

BOOM!

Pinkie Pie blasted herself out of the cannon, crashing into the first wall, breaking it apart… Only to reveal nothing there.

“Ooh…” The heroes cringed.

“Oh… Wrong wall…” Pinkie Pie said dizzily, flopping back into the cannon. “Aim for the other wall please?”

“No! I can’t take this another—”

BOOM!

Applejack’s words were ignored when Pinkie Pie blasted out of the cannon.

“—Second…”

Once again, flying as a pink blur, Pinkie Pie collided with the second wall, breaking away its structure into rubble, revealing the last Power Star in the course.

“Huh, Sweet Celestia!” Applejack exclaimed. “A Power Star!”

“Yup!” Pinkie Pie chuckled, with swirly eyes.

Pinkie Pie watched as Spike flew up to collect the Power star.

“Hip-hip hooray!” Pinkie Pie cheered. “We found the eighth Power Star! Yay~”

All at once, Pinkie collapsed into the water, while Applejack sighed and shook her head.

“Can we get out now?”


Princess Peach's Castle

The painting of the Whomp’s Fortress rippled, as the heroes emerged, returning to Princess Peach’s Castle.

“Alright! We did it!” Spike whooped. “We’ve got 8 Power Stars and we’ve rescued Applejack!”

19 Power Stars

“Yeah!” Pinkie Pie cheered. “Let’s party!”

“Not so fast there, Pinkie Pie,” Applejack interrupts. “It’s a little too soon for a party; we still have some Power Stars to find. And on top of that, we’ve gotta find and save the rest of our friends.”

“And save-a Princess-a Peach!” Mario reminded. “Bowser-a still has-a Princess-a Peach! And we can’t-a stop until she is-a safe!”

“Then, let’s-a go!” Pinkie Pie shouted. “We’ve-a got-a work to do, heh-heh! Now you’ve got me doing it!”

“Come on Yoshi, let’s get going!” Spike added.

“Yoshi!” Yoshi chirped in agreement.

As they walked out of the room, upon returning to the entrance hall of the castle, the friends suddenly discover a large beam of light, shining along the center of the room, down onto the sun mattress from the ceiling.

“Hey!” Spike pointed. “What’s up with that?”

“Ya mean that wasn’t there before?” Applejack asked.

“Nope,” Mario shook his head.

“Well, let’s go check it out!” Pinkie Pie chirped.

Pinkie and her friends rush over toward the beam of light for further inspection. The heroes stood inside the beam of light, feeling a soothing aura of warmth and calm washing over them.

“Whoa, this feels nice!” Spike commented.

“Yoshi,” Yoshi chirped, in agreement.

“This feels like… Sunlight!” Applejack exclaimed. “But how? And where could it be comin’ from?”

“Hmm…” Mario pondered.

“Hey… Mario…”

A voice from above was heard, calling for Mario.

“Oh?” Mario exclaimed, surprised.

“What is it Mario?” Pinkie Pie asked.

Mario turned toward the direction of the voice, when suddenly his whole world was swallowed by blinding white light, and he disappeared before his friends’ eyes.

“Mario?!” The Equestrian heroes shouted. “Mario?! Where are you?”

“Where did he go?” Spike asked.

“Yoshi?!” Yoshi exclaimed, with uncertainty.

“I don’t know!” Pinkie Pie replied. “He just looked up and—”

Pinkie Pie looked up into the light, only to disappear in a flash.

“PINKIE PIE!!”

“C’mon ya’ll!” Applejack shouted. “After them!”

Applejack turned toward the light, vanishing in a flash.

“Our turn, Yoshi!” Spike said to the dinosaur. “Here we go!”

“Yoshi!” Yoshi chirped.

The young purple dragon and green dinosaur all turn toward the light, following their friends in a new secret course.


Meanwhile, somewhere in the castle

"There is light in the castle... The stars... They are returning... Someone has found them... Someone has freed this kingdom's greatest hero... Someone is bringing back... The light."

Author's Note:

Power Stars: 11 + 8 = 19

Up Next: Our heroes are going under the sea, where they're hunting Power Stars in a sunken ship, fighting sea monsters, and rescue their loyal friend, Rainbow Dash!

After that: The heroes go ghostbusting in Big Boo's Mansion to find and rescue Fluttershy and Luigi.