• Published 5th Mar 2020
  • 3,954 Views, 409 Comments

Game Quest: Super Mario 64 - Phantom-Dragon



Princess Twilight Sparkle and friends arrive in the Mushroom Kingdom to help Mario and his buddies rescue Princess Peach.

  • ...
3
 409
 3,954

Big Boo’s Haunt — Part 2 | The Great Mission to Rescue Fluttershy

In the last chapter:

Coins Collected

Gold Coins:

Red Coins (costs 2 coins): 4 x 2 = 8

Blue Coins (costs 5 coins): 9 x 5 = 45

Total: 53


Game unpaused

Meanwhile, back with Rainbow Dash and Mario

“BOOOOO-M!!!” The voice echoed. “Here comes the master of mischief, the tower of terror, the Big Boo! Ka! Ka! Ka! Ka! Ka! Ka…”

“The Big Boo?” Rainbow Dash asked.

Rainbow Dash and Mario just left from the library they came from, having collected their very first Power Star in this course.

“Oh no!” Mario shuddered worriedly. “That’s-a big-a trouble! We got to find our friends and-a fast!”

Before the two heroes could begin their search, a frightful sight stops them in their tracks.


Basement

“YOSHI!!!”

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!"

Spike and Yoshi held onto to each other, plummeting into the dark depths of the hole they fell into. After experiencing such a jump-scare earlier with a boo, they fell into the deepest abyss where time felt irrelevant. They keep falling for what feels like an eternity, until finally they crash toward the bottom with a big…

SPLASH!!!

The water breaks as the two crash into the depths, until Spike and Yoshi quickly swims to the surface gasping for air.

“Ptooey!” Spike spat the water out. “Wow! My life flashed before my eyes back there.”

“Yoshi!” Yoshi chirped in agreement.

Both dragon and dinosaur soon learn they were about to have company soon.

“DANGNABBIIIIIIIIIITTTTTT!!!” Applejack screamed.

“CANNONBALLLLLLLLL!!!” Pinkie Pie shouted.

The two Earth ponies’ cries echo in the dark, before they crash down into the waters with a mighty splash beside the boys. So big in fact, it washed the friends along the nearest deck. As the group gasps for air, Pinkie resurfaced before them, a snorkel in her mouth, goggles over her eyes, and scuba flippers on her hooves.

“PINKIE!!!” The gang shouts angrily.

“Hi guys!” Pinkie smiled obliviously.

A certain Yellow Pegasus floats toward the ground, joining her friends.

“Oh Pinkie! Spike! Yoshi!” Fluttershy cried, shaking her head incredulously. “Thank goodness you’re all okay! You as well, Applejack!”

“I’m just glad we’re all okay,” Spike said. “Where are we now?”

“I don’t know,” Fluttershy answered.

“Ah don’t know, sugarcube,” Applejack replied. “But let’s be careful. Remember: There’s still ghosts about. And they’ve got Fluttershy and Mario’s brother, Luigi.”

“But Applejack!” Fluttershy shouted frantically. “I’m right here!”

“Hold on!” Pinkie Pie shouted. “Do you hear that?”

Sure enough, within the silence, the heroes hear a jingle of a merry-go-round.

“Ooh! A merry-go-round! I love merry-go-rounds!”

“Pinkie, focus!” Applejack scolds the pink pony. “Just where is that music comin’ from?”

“It’s behind that door!” Pinkie pointed.

Sure enough, a door is in full display right behind our heroes. Suddenly, Pinkie vibrates ever so vigorously.

“Ooh! My Pinkie Senses are even more tingly! There’s a Power Star or two, just behind that door!”

“Let’s go get those stars!” Spike said.

The little dragon turns the door open, Spike and Yoshi the first to walk in. They venture into a room with a rotating platform that spins clockwise, surrounded by large portraits of boos.

“Wow, a merry-go-round,” Applejack commented.

“Told ya so!” Pinkie Pie sing-songed.

“In the basement of a haunted house? What are the odds?”

“Never mind,” Spike interrupts. “Remember: we’re here to collect the Power Stars and save Fluttershy!”

“But I’m right here!” Fluttershy screamed. “I’M… RIGHT… HERE!!!”

“Yoshi!” Yoshi points to the door on the other side.

“You’re saying we should check that door over there?” Spike asked.

Yoshi nods in confirmation, the only response Spike needs.

“Okay… let’s go!”

Both the dinosaur and dragon were about to carefully step upon the spinning platform when Applejack stops them.

“Hold on boys,” She cautioned. “Let’s not go rushin’ into things. Last thing we want is another of them ghosts jumpin out and scarin us like before.”

Knowing that Applejack is right, referring to that time on the bridge, Spike and Yoshi nod in agreement.

“What should we do now?” Spike asked.

Applejack ponders for a moment before an idea pops in her head.

“I’ll go check things out. Y’all stay here.”

With a cautious step, Applejack rode upon the rotating platform. Just as she made her way to the other door, several boos suddenly appear from one of the portraits.

“Not this time!” Applejack said.

She tilts her hat to the point her eyes seemed hidden. The boos immediately close in on the seemingly blinded pony; however, Applejack was waiting for this. Taking the boos by surprise, Applejack turns and spins her legs into a tornado kick. The legs clock the boos into puffs of smoke, leaving behind two blue coins.

“Yeah, Applejack!” Spike and Pinkie Pie cheered.

“You rock!” Fluttershy cheered invisibly. “Whoo-hoo!”

“Whoo-whee!” Applejack smirk confidently, standing on the rotating platform. “How do ya like them apples?”

Suddenly, without warning, a sudden burst of flame roars from the mouth of a boo portrait, roasting the apple pony.

“AAAAAAHH!!!”

“OH NOOO!!!” Spike and Pinkie Pie wailed in horror, their claws and hooves on their cheeks.

“OH DEAR GOODNESS!!!” Fluttershy wailed.

“YOSHI!!!”

"I'M ON FIIIIIIIREEEEE!!!!" Applejack screamed.

“Stop, drop, and roll!” Pinkie Pie advised.

Then, at the last second, Pinkie reaches into her mane and pulls out a fire extinguisher.

“Good thing I always keep a fire extinguisher, in case of ‘fire’ emergency.”

Pinkie starts spraying her friend, completely covering Applejack in foamy flame retardant from head to tail. After the smoke clears, Applejack stood before her friends with a white foamy beard, a mustache, and eyebrows, giving her the appearance of ‘Santa Hooves’.

“Are you okay, Applejack?” Spike asked, inspecting the apple pony.

“Yep. I’ll be alright, Spike,” Applejack replied, before gasping. “BEHIND YA!!!”

Two more boos suddenly appear, advancing toward the heroes while their backs are turned. However, before they could get closer, one of the ghosts suddenly stops in its tracks.

“No!” Fluttershy grunted, holding the boo back. “Don’t… hurt… my… friends!”

The boo tried to turn itself invisible, but it was too late.

“HI-YA!!!” Applejack and Pinkie Pie yelled.

They jump on the boo, causing it to disappear into puffs of smoke leaving behind a blue coin. The other boo lunged to attack, just as another came in to fill for its defeated ally. Applejack and Pinkie Pie both fought off the boos, with a kick and a ground pound they learned from Mario himself.

With the boos defeated, the heroes pick up the five blue coins, earning them a total of 78 coins collected.

Coins Collected

Gold Coins:

Red Coins (costs 2 coins): 4 x 2 = 8

Blue Coins (costs 5 coins): 9 + 5 = 14 x 5 = 70

Total: 78

“Alright!” Spike cheered, after counting the coins. “Just 22 more coins to go, and we’ll have ourselves a Power Star!”

“Yoshi!” Yoshi chirped triumphantly.

“So, that’s what all the coin collecting business is about,” Fluttershy nodded in acknowledgment.

Suddenly, Pinkie Pie’s whole body vibrates even more violently.

“Ooh! Pinkie alert! Pinkie alert!” Pinkie Pie chirped, before her eyes widen in fright.

“Oh dear goodness!” Fluttershy gasped.

“What’s the matter?” Applejack asked.

The apple pony turns her head, as the pupils in her eyes immediately shrunk to the size of pinpricks. Spike and Yoshi both share a look of worry.

“There’s something big and scary behind us, isn’t there?” Spike asked.

The ponies nod as both dragon and dinosaur turn to look behind them, their eyes widen as an even bigger boo towers above them.

"RUUUUUUNNN!!!"

The heroes try to make a break for the door, but a sudden burst of dark flames erupts from the floor blocking the heroes’ access to the door.

“We’re trapped!” Fluttershy screamed.

“Then we’ll just to fight that ghost!” Applejack insisted. “After all, y’all know what they say. The bigger they are…”

Applejack trots towards the big boo, before she leapt in the air for a flying kick. But the ghost quickly turns invisible, making itself intangible, causing Applejack to fly into a wall.

“OOF!” Applejack grunts, crashing into the wall.

“Ooh!” The heroes cringe.

“The more bones they break?” Pinkie Pie finished.

Applejack rolls to the side, just as the Big Boo closed in on her.

“Hey! Leave my friend alone, you big bully!” Spike shouted.

The little dragon shoots an explosive fireball at the ghost. The Big Boo turns its attention on the dragon who attacked it, proceeding to hover towards him. Before it could do anything, a lasso flies out and ensnared the giant specter by the tail.

“Not so fast ya big varmint!” Applejack grunted.

The cow pony grips her rope tightly in her mouth, mustering all her strength to pull the big boo away from the young dragon, slamming it into the walls. The impact immediately breaks the boo apart into several tiny boos.

“What in tarnation?!” Applejack exclaimed.

“It’s a big boo made up of boos!” Pinkie exclaimed, before giggling. “A Big Boo of Boos! Now that’s funny!”

The heroes watch as the scattered boos attempt to regroup, regaining their gigantic form.

“Quick!” Spike shouted. “Stop them before they turn back!”

“Yoshi!”

The four heroes run around the merry-go-round, chasing after the boos while avoiding the flamethrowers spewing from the boo portraits. Fluttershy was rather confused in all the chaos since she didn’t know what to do.

“Oh dear goodness!” Fluttershy said frantically. “What should I do? What can I do?”

“I got ‘em!” Spike shouts, chasing a boo.

“Yoshi!” Yoshi chirped, chasing another boo.

Unfortunately, both boys failed to realize the boos lead them into each other. At the last second, the two boos vanish into thin air, causing Spike and Yoshi to crash into each other.

“OOF!” Spike and Yoshi grunt, upon collision.

“Oh, goodness!” Fluttershy shouted, inspecting the boys. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m okay,” Spike replied. “Thanks… huh?”

His eyes widen, Spike looks around the room.

“That’s funny. For a moment I thought I heard Fluttershy.”

“That’s because I am here!” Fluttershy shouted in frustration. “I… AM… HERE!!!”

Back in the first, Applejack and Pinkie Pie manage to stomp and jump on two boos, causing them to disappear into puffs of smoke. The other boos manage to regroup into the big boo. However, it was much smaller than before.

“Hey, check it out!” Applejack pointed. “The more boos we take out, the smaller it becomes!”

“Then let’s shrink it down to size!” Pinkie Pie suggested, pumping her hoofs up.

Eager to fight, the Big Boo lunged toward the heroes for a bite. Applejack ensnared its tail again, mustering all her strength to slam the giant ghost into several tiny boos. The heroes all pounce forward to attack the remaining ghosts.

Applejack punched a boo from behind before quickly bucking her legs and slamming another trying to sneak up on her. Pinkie Pie pulls out a pair of nunchaku from her mane. With a karate yell, Pinkie smacks her nunchaku around, hitting several boos surrounding her. After recovering from their collision, Spike and Yoshi pick themselves up to see a single, remaining boo floating away from their pony friends. Reacting quickly, Spike and Yoshi sneak up on the boo and pounced.

“GOTCHA!!!” Spike shouted.

The two tackle the ghost into smoke.

End of Fight Song

As the battle ends, the flamethrowers cease fire, the dark barriers shielding the doors lifts, and a Power Star appears from where the last Boo once hovered.

“Whoa!” Spike shouted. “We struck Power Star!”

Spike points to the star floating away, stopping in front of the other door. Fluttershy watches as her friends waste no second, charging towards the star, and snatching it out of the air. Thus earning their 31st Power Star collected. The Power Star danced around the heroes, showering them with sparkles of gold.

“YEAH!” Spike and the ponies cheered. “We got a Power Star!”

“YOSHI!!!” Yoshi chirped.

“Yay!!!” Fluttershy cheered quietly.

After collecting the Power Star, the heroes take their leave through the door, and enter a hallway with the floors flooded in water. Thankfully, the water only floats toward their feet, thus allowing the heroes to walk. They take a turn to the left, where they suddenly see a large block of dark bricks, with a single gold coin floating above it.

“Hey, check this out!” Spike inspected the block. “Never seen a block of brick like this before.”

“You think maybe it could hold some coins inside?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“Oh yeah,” Spike replied. “All we have to do is break it.”

“No problem!”

Pinkie pulls on her mane, causing it to form into the shape of a drill at the end of her bang. Pinkie proceeds to drill her mane against the dark block, sending sparks flying in the air. Applejack shakes her head incredulously.

“Pinkie Pie’s just full of surprise, ain’t she?”

Her friends share her agreement with a nod. After a period of drilling, Pinkie Pie looks up and was dumbfounded to see the dark block remain unscathed.

“That’s strange!” Pinkie said, looking at her bent-up mane. “I had this in for a tune up!”

“A tune up?” Spike asked.

“Yoshi?” Yoshi shared his friend’s confusion.

“Pinkie Pie will always be ‘Pinkie Pie’,” Fluttershy shook her head.

“Let’s try this again!”

Pinkie cranked on a piece of her mane, like a lever, causing her tail to vibrate like a jackhammer. Pinkie Pie proceeds to bounce atop the brick, which remained unscathed.

Yoshi shook his head. He gets anxious for him and his friends to resume their search for the Power Stars and rescue their friends. Though, he seems more antsy about rescuing Luigi. The green dinosaur turns to the right, noticing a familiar red cap sitting in the corner. Yoshi walks away to collect it.

“Hey Yoshi!” Spike called out, Fluttershy following. “Where are you going?”

“Yoshi!” Yoshi answered, holding the red cap.

“Ah, sweet!” Spike pumped his fist. “Another of Mario’s hats! Wow, how many does this guy even need?”

Brushing the question aside, Spike puts on the hat, once again transforming into Spike-Mario.

“Oh my!” Fluttershy gasped, marveling the dragon’s transformation.

Spike walks back to the block, just as Pinkie ran out of gasp. The pink party pony flops in the water, completely exhausted.

“Okay, my little-a ponies, stand-a back!” Spike-Mario shouted. “Let’s-a GO!!!”

Spike-Mario cracked his knuckles, before proceeding to swing his arm into a wheel. He throws the punch at the dark block…

CRACK!!!

However, the dark block remains unscathed, barely even a scratch. The same can’t be said for poor Spike-Mario’s fist.

"OOOOOOWWWWW!!!"

Spike-Mario winced from the recoiled damage, rubbing his sore knuckles.

“Ooh! I’ll bet that smarts!” Yoshi commented.

“Oh… my!” Fluttershy cringed, trying to inspect Spike’s injured wrist. “Are you alright? Does it hurt so bad? Let me see!”

“Sure wished Maud Pie was here,” Pinkie Pie said. “She’d pummel that whole block into pebbles in ten seconds flat!”

“Let me have a look at that,” Applejack offered.

Applejack steps forward, giving the bricked block a few knocks.

“Hmph! Can’t be as hard as the time ah was buckin’ trees when ah was Apple Bloom’s age. Welp, here goes nothin’!”

Setting herself into position, Applejack aims her hindlegs at the block of brick and thrusts her legs out into a strong kick.

“Ooh!” She winced, from the bricks’ thickness. “That’s one strong piece of block!”

“But look!” Spike-Mario pointed.

Before their eyes, several cracks appear on the brick.

“You’re-a breaking it!”

“Quick Applejack!” Pinkie Pie shouts excitedly. “Do it some more!”

With another grunt, Applejack mustered up every ounce of her strength to buck the brick. Once, twice, three times she bucks the block into rubble to reveal a star switch hidden beneath the block. Amidst the rubble, the heroes earn themselves 3 gold coins, plus a coin floating above the brick.

Coins Collected

Gold Coins: 4

Red Coins (costs 2 coins): 4 x 2 = 8

Blue Coins (costs 5 coins): 14 x 5 = 70

Total: 82

“A switch?” Applejack asked.

Spike-Mario looks down upon the switch, as both he and Yoshi immediately recognized it from their previous adventures in Whomp’s fortress and Jolly Roger Bay.

“Hey! It’s-a another of those-a Star-a Switches!” The dragon-turned-plumber exclaimed. “If you press it, a star-a appears!”

“Really?!” The ponies exclaimed.

“And that also means that there’s a Star Sphere somewhere!” Yoshi added.

“That’s-a right-a, Yoshi!” Spike-Mario nodded. “It-a means there’s-a Star Sphere nearby.”

“Really?” Applejack asked. "Where?”

The country pony soon did a double take.

“Wait! Since when can ya talk to Yoshi?”

“It’s all-a thanks-a to this-a hat!” Spike-Mario pointed. “Whenever I’m-a Mario, I can understand-a what-a Yoshi says! And I can do this!”

Spike-Mario jumps into the air, performing a front flip before landing back on his feet.

“Wahoo! Oh yeah!”

“Wow!” Fluttershy gasped in awe.

“Nice form, Spike!” Applejack smiled. “But what’s with the funny accent?”

“I don’t-a know,” Spike-Mario shrugged. “It came with the hat!”

“Well, enough of that, where’s the Star Sphere ya mentioned before?” Applejack asked. “Ya said the Power Star will appear in there when we—”

“You mean that crystal ball behind that wired wall?” Pinkie Pie pointed.

Sure enough there was said crystal ball, right behind a wired grate.

“Yeah! That’s it!” Spike-Mario nodded. “But we have to be-a fast! Because once-a we step on the switch, we have to break the crystal-a ball before time runs-a out!”

“That’s right!” Yoshi confirmed.

Though to the ponies, he said, ‘Yoshi!’.

“Ya mean, as soon as we step on this switch,” Applejack pointed her hoof. “We need to run all the way through the merry-go-round and out the other side just to break the crystal ball?”

“You got it!” Spike-Mario gives a thumbs up.

“Then let’s do it!” Pinkie Pie said.

She stomps her hoof on the switch to activate it, as the Power Star appears. The sound of a ticking clock is heard signaling the start of a race against time. Without wasting a second, Pinkie Pie took off running through the merry-go-round before reappearing on the other side, running along the platform, and reached for the crystal ball before time ran out.

Pinkie Pie lunged forward, breaking the crystal ball and therefore earning their 32nd Power Star.

“YEAH!!!” Everyone cheers, as the Power Star dances around Pinkie Pie. “WE GOT A POWER STAR!!!”

“Yoshi!”

“Yay!” Fluttershy cheered.

After collecting the Power Star, Pinkie Pie regroups with the rest of the heroes.

“Where to next?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“I don’t know about you guys,” Applejack began. “But it looks like we won’t find any more coins or Power Stars down here. And neither Fluttershy nor Luigi are around here.

“But I’m right HERE!!!” Fluttershy screamed desperately.

“A.J.’s right!” Pinkie Pie noted. “Though, for some reason, I can’t help shake this feeling Fluttershy is closer than we think.”

Little did Pinkie know, Fluttershy shouted in frustration and flops her head into the flooded floor. Kicking and screaming, the poor Pegasus throwed a tantrum greater than a school filly’s.

“Either way, let’s get back up and meet with Rainbow Dash and Mario,” Spike-Mario suggests. “Hope they’ve found some Power Stars up there.”

The heroes begin to take their leave through a door. After she’s had her tantrum, Fluttershy manages to calm down as she looks up, just in time to see her friends leave.

“Hey! Wait for me!” Fluttershy shouted, following her friends.

The heroes walk down the flooded hallway, heading for the door on the other side. The heroes were well on their way when the settings around them suddenly take a turn for the eerie.

A mist suddenly rose from the water, the hallways suddenly lit in an ominous dark purple light highlighting the fog in an eerie shade of purple. At the same time, the water turns red as if it was blood.

“What the—What’s going on?” Fluttershy whimpered. “What’s happening?”

The rest of the heroes back against each other, watching as the shadows around them suddenly dance on the walls like they were on fire.

“What’s going on, Applejack?” Spike asked, hugging Yoshi close. “Pinkie Pie?”

“I don’t know, Spike,” Applejack trembled. “But whatever you do, don’t be afraid.”

“I’m afraid that train’s already left the station…”

No! Stay!” A voice called. “Don’t leave again!

Our heroes turns behind them, as the sight before them immediately sent shivers up their spines.


Meanwhile, few minutes ago with Rainbow Dash and Mario

Appearing before the cyan Pegasus and the red plumber is a huge boo. The Big Boo lunged toward the two heroes; its jaws stretched wide to reveal sharp fangs. It snaps its jaws at both Mario and Rainbow Dash, who jump to the side and dodge the attack.

“You don’t scare us ghost!” Rainbow Dash shouted.

She lunges toward the Big Boo, who quickly disappeared and dodged the attack. The Big Boo reappears and proceeds to attack the Pegasus, before Mario jumps and throws a kick, knocking the big boo away.

However, upon contacting the red plumber’s punch, several boos are knocked loose, causing the Big Boo to shrink down to size.

“Huh!” Rainbow Dash grinned. “For a Big Boo, it’s got a ‘big’ weakness!”

With a flap of her wings, Rainbow Dash lunges toward the boos, catching them by surprise. She kicks her legs, cutting across the air, bucking the boos into smoke.

Desperate, the Big Boo lunged towards Rainbow Dash, intent to catch her from behind. The giant ghost chased the speedy Pegasus around the room. Rainbow Dash flew towards a wall, from which she immediately bounces off, catching the ghost by surprise, flying towards the specter with a kick to its face. The straight blow knocks more boos, shrinking the Big Boo further.

Keeping up the momentum, Rainbow Dash bounces off around the room, repeatedly attacking the Big Boo and its army. Until finally, only one boo remained to which Dash finished off with a powerful flying kick. After the fight, Dash pants heavily trying to catch her breath.

“Ha-ha!” Rainbow Dash chuckled. “The bigger they are, the harder they fall.”

Just then, materializing out of thin air, a Power Star appears and floats to the second floor.

“Wow! We struck Power Star!” Rainbow Dash panted heavily.

The Pegasus plops against the floor, when it suddenly carried her up to the second floor, revealing that it was a staircase.

“Way to go, Rainbow Dash!” Mario smiled, collecting the Power Star.

The Power Star dances around him, as he cheers.

“Oh yeah! We got a Power-a Star!”

The heroes’ collection of Power Stars increases to 33. Mario and Rainbow Dash resume their search for their friends, the Power Stars, and coins along the second floor.

Second Floor

Mario and Rainbow Dash first check a door on the left of the library’s doorway, which they entered earlier. Inside was barely a room. The whole floor is an all-red steel grate, with holes in them. On the other side, a single red coin spins in the air.

“I’ll get it!” Rainbow calls out.

Flying over, she collects the coin thus earning the heroes their fifth red coin collected.

Coins Collected

Gold Coins: 4

Red Coins (costs 2 coins): 5 x 2 = 10

Blue Coins (costs 5 coins): 14 x 5 = 70

Total: 84

Soon, both Mario and Rainbow Dash enter the next room, where a large eyeball rotates next to an open room filled with six coffins.

“A giant eyeball?!” Rainbow grimaced. “Yuck!”

“That’s-a Mr. I!” Mario lectured. “When they see you, they shoot balls of light at you. But they’re very easy to beat! Watch!”

With a stretch of his legs, Mario kicks off into a run, circling around the giant eyeball. The eye spins itself silly, to the point it was dizzied into submission. The Mr. I shrunk down into puffs of smoke, causing a blue coin to appear in its place. Without a second to waste, Mario and Rainbow Dash collect the coin.

Coins Collected

Gold Coins: 4

Red Coins (costs 2 coins): 5 x 2 = 10

Blue Coins (costs 5 coins): 15 x 5 = 75

Total: 89

After dealing with the eyeball, Rainbow Dash and Mario turn to the room of coffins. The Pegasus shudders at the sight of the coffins, knowing there are dead creatures concealed inside. Add to the fact there’s six of them, Rainbow Dash felt uneasy, unable to imagine what they look like. Still, Rainbow forces herself to make a brave face as she investigates the room.

“Hello?!” Rainbow Dash called. “Any Power Stars in here?”

As if answering the Pegasus’ question, a coffin suddenly stood up startling the Pegasus.

“AAAH!!!”

The coffin stood for a moment, before vibrating violently, and fell back down with a slam.

BOOM!!!

“AAAH!!!” Rainbow Dash yelped, her wings flaring in fear. “What was that all about?”

“I don’t-a know,” Mario replied. “Let’s just look fast, so we can get-a out of here!”

Another coffin suddenly stood up, before vibrating violently much like the first one. Then it slams down on the floor. The third coffin lifts up revealing a red coin underneath.

“Mamma mia!” Mario exclaimed, pointing at the coin. “A red-a coin!”

Before the coffin falls back down, Rainbow Dash quickly snatched the red coin, as the large box nearly fell back on the floor.

Coins Collected

Gold Coins: 4

Red Coins (costs 2 coins): 6 x 2 = 12

Blue Coins (costs 5 coins): 15 x 5 = 75

Total: 91

Suddenly, without warning, the fires along the torches in the room suddenly erupt to life, startling Mario and Rainbow Dash out of their wits.

“What’s happening?!” Rainbow asked.

“I don’t-a know,” Mario shuddered. “But—MAMMA MIA!!!”

Mario points to five of the coffins suddenly engulfed in a menacing aura, resembling dark flmaes.

“Oh, this can’t-a be-a good!”

“Since when are coffins ever a good sight?” Rainbow grimaced.

She and Mario watch a lid slide off from a coffin, followed by another.

“Uh, M-M-Mario?!” Rainbow quivered. “W-W-What’s going on?!”

“I-I-I don’t-a know!” Mario replied.

Mario and Rainbow watch as a hand burst from a coffin, as a large mass of shadow stood from the now empty case.

Rainbow Dash and Mario back away from the mass, stepping out of the room, watching as more shadows spill from the coffins and onto the floor like fog rolling. Rainbow Dash kept her gaze locked onto the shadow, when she suddenly feels an earsplitting ringing in her head, causing her to fall to the ground and holding her hoofs up to her ears.

“AAAH!!!” Rainbow winced, at the agonizing, high-pitch. “What is that?!”

“AAAHH!!!” Mario screamed, holding his hands up.

Without wasting a second, Mario and Rainbow Dash immediately left the room, shutting the door behind them hoping the strange shadows don’t escape. Once outside, both Mario and Rainbow Dash regain their composure, catching their breath and easing their pounding headaches.

End of Music

“What was that?!” Rainbow Dash asked.

“I don’t-a know,” Mario replied. “But I hope we don’t have to see it again!”

“Don’t have to tell me twice,” Rainbow nods in agreement. “C’mon, let’s keep searching the place so we can get out of here… and fast!”

“Oh yeah!”

Mario and Rainbow Dash continue exploring the house. Little did they know that it won’t be the last time they ever saw the dark magic they just experienced.


Super Mario 64 – Big Boo's Haunt OST resumes

Rainbow Dash and Mario walk into a room, finding themselves in what appears to be another library. All seems quiet at first, until two books scrolled themselves from the shelves and open their pages to reveal fangs. The two books turn toward Rainbow Dash and Mario, lunging towards them without warning. The two heroes didn’t hesitate to throw punches and kicks at the cursed books, causing them to disappear into puffs of smoke, leaving two blue coins behind.

Coins Collected

Gold Coins: 4

Red Coins (costs 2 coins): 6 x 2 = 12

Blue Coins (costs 5 coins): 17 x 5 = 85

Total: 101

The coins the heroes collected dissolve into sparkles of light, as they join together and material into a single Power Star.

“Whoa!” Rainbow Dash gasped. “Have we collected 100 coins already?!”

Mario nods in response.

“Awesome!”

Both Mario and Rainbow Dash collect their 34th Power Star, which danced around them.

“YEAH!” Rainbow Dash sang. “We got a Power Star!”

“Here we go!” Mario hollered in triumph.

After the festivity, the two heroes looks behind the shelves to find another red coin, making it their 7th collected. They walk out through a door, which led to a small balcony in the main room where Rainbow Dash once fought the Big Boo. And there, floating about the balcony is the 8th and final red coin, which Rainbow Dash didn’t hesitate to collect.

Upon collecting the last red coin, Rainbow Dash and Mario stare in amazement, as a Power Star materialized itself on the other side of the room.

“I’ll get it!” Rainbow volunteered.

With a flap of her wings, Rainbow zipped off to collect the 35th Power Star. Like before, the star danced around Rainbow Dash, who does a victory dance.

“YEAH!” Rainbow Dash cheered. “We got a Power Star!”

“Oh yeah!” Mario hollered from the balcony. “Okay, Rainbow-a Dash! Let’s-a go!”

Mario ventures back into the library, with Rainbow Dash following behind. The two reexamine the map, seeing the final Power Stars above them. Furthermore, the map showed an entrance up the top of the mansion just inside the very same library they stood in. They are just about to investigate, until…

“Rainbow Dash?! Mr. Mario?!”

“BWAH!!!” Rainbow Dash and Mario scream in unison.

Startled by the voice, Rainbow Dash and Mario look up and before their eyes is the very pony they’ve been searching for.

“Whoa! I can’t believe it!” Rainbow Dash smiled, tearfully. “Fluttershy!!!”

Rainbow rushes up toward the buttercup Pegasus and wraps her arms around Fluttershy in a huge.

“I can’t believe it’s actually you!”

“Rainbow Dash!!!” Fluttershy exclaimed happily. “I missed you so much! It was so horrible! I woke up and found myself all alone in this horrible house! I’ve never felt so scared in all my life!”

“It’s okay now, Fluttershy,” Rainbow smiled, comforting her friend. “It’s okay! We’ll be out of here soon and it will all be just one big freaky nightmare for all of us.”

“Why can’t we just leave right now?” Fluttershy asked. “This place is horrible!”

“And we will, but first we must find the rest of our friends and collect the last Power Stars!” Rainbow explained. “Don’t worry, we’ll make this quick so we can get out of this place! I promise!”

“Okay, Rainbow Dash,” Fluttershy nodded in acknowledgment. “Oh! I just remembered! Mr. Luigi needs help! He’s in trouble!”

“Luigi?!” Mario exclaimed, rushing toward the Pegasus. “Where is he?!”

“He’s up there!” Fluttershy pointed to the ceiling opening. “In the attic! He’s been held prisoner by those horrible ghosts! I barely escaped, but…”

“Don’t worry, Fluttershy!” Rainbow assured. “We’re on it!”

With a flap of her wings, Rainbow Dash flies toward the ceiling. She finds a door, opens it sideways, and quickly enters the attic.

“Let’s-a go!” Mario said.

The red plumber follows Rainbow Dash by jumping on a wall, kicking off, and landing onto the platform of the door entering behind the Pegasus.

However, upon entering the attic, Mario is shocked to see Rainbow Dash ensnared by chains pulsating with intense dark-fiery auras from the shadows. Once more, the familiar earsplitting sensation rang in his head, causing Mario to fall to the ground and cover his ears. Mario strains to look up, seeing Rainbow Dash in pain. The fiery auras burn red hot and her whole body appears to contort, flashing out of proportion as if she were, in a term ‘glitching’.

“Mario!” Rainbow Dash groaned. “Help!”

Mario tries to free the Pegasus when he’s suddenly grabbed by the leg. The grip, cold and hard, freezes his legs on the spot. The red plumber barely moves, before a sudden jolt flares throughout his body as if he were pierced by a thousand needles pinning him to the floor. The last thing Mario saw, before his whole world went black, is Fluttershy’s hooves.

"Hush now. It's alright."

Author's Note:

Power Stars collected thus far: 6
Remaining Power Stars to collect: 2

Power Stars: 30 +6 = 36