• Published 23rd Sep 2020
  • 1,271 Views, 35 Comments

Game Quest: Home Sweet Home episode 1 - Phantom-Dragon



Sunset Shimmer and Tim must escape a nightmare that threatens to destroy them, and rescue Jane.

  • ...
1
 35
 1,271

Prologue: Game Night

Author's Note:

I was going to have this story published on Sunset Shimmer’s day, which was yesterday o. The Fall Equinox.

Oh well.

Better late than never.

And so, the story of Sunset Shimmer’s Game Quest begins, tonight...

And since we’re all in our homes, Home Sweet Home.

Another time, another place. But the atmosphere itself was just the same: A dark, stormy night. Yet all was still within Canterlot City, not a living soul out and about in such treacherous weather. All the citizens were all tucked safely in the comfort of their homes, their loved ones close beside them. It is on this particular night, however, that only ‘one’ living soul was awake.

Outside of an apartment, a light shone brightly from a single window. Inside, undeterred by the weather outside her home, a young girl chose to pass the time in her own unique way.

“Yeah! Take that!” She screamed.

The eruption of explosions and fighting blows echoed from the large T.V. screen coupled with the sound of buttons mashing.

“Yeah! Take that! C’mon! You want a piece of me?! Come and get it!”

The voice belonged to a young girl, at the age of the typical teenager High School girl. Her beautiful blazing fiery red hair, with streaks of gold, swished in the air as her head swished from one side to the next. She was garbed in a light-gray leather jacket with orange stripes along the sleeves, over a sparkling turquoise shirt with yellow see-through frills along the helm, skintight blue jeans, and black boots with orange stripes. Her name is Sunset Shimmer, formerly a pony from Equestria but has since lived the life of a human teenager along with a ragtag band of friends.

With her V.R. (Virtual Reality) headset over her eyes, Sunset felt immersed within the virtual realm of the game she was currently playing. So intense was her efforts, she vigorously mashed the buttons on her controllers at a rapid pace.

“DIE YOU UNDEAD SERVANTS OF GROGAR! DIE!!!” Sunset screamed competitively.

RING-RING! RING-RING!

Sunset was right in the middle of the game when the ringing phone signaled the end of playtime.

“Got to 7 already?” Sunset asked herself. “Shoot! Just when I was about to beat the final boss.”

With a push of a button, Sunset paused the game and unstraps her VR headset. Sliding it off her head, her brilliant cyan eyes were revealed as they adjusted to their surroundings. But due to the long exposure to the screen, her once beautiful eyes had redden to shades of pink. She practically had to rub her eyes just to get her vision straight.

“Time to feed Ray,” Sunset sighed.

She approaches the table, where a large glass tank sat. Inside is her precious pet leopard gecko, Ray.

“Hey there!” She cooed lovingly at the little lizard. “How’s my little ray of sunshine tonight?”

She picks up a long tube of crickets, opening the cap before releasing a decent swarm for Ray to pick off of. Sunset watched as the gecko pursues the crickets, eating them one after the other, and all within a matter of seconds.

“Wow, you must’ve been really hungry,” Sunset smirked in amusement. “You make Sparx the Dragonfly look like he’s on a diet.”

Sunset looks down toward Ray and judging by the way he tilts his head looking at her, she deduced he was confused.

“Oh, he’s a magic dragonfly and the best friend of Spyro. They’re from the Spyro the Dragon game… actually really good.”

Sunset was in the midst of explaining when the vibrating ring tone brought Sunset’s attention to her phone. She picks it up, noting the text message from one of her friends. Namely Twilight Sparkle a.k.a. ‘Sci-Twi’ as she was often referred to (So as not to confuse her with her mentor, ‘Princess’ Twilight Sparkle). Upon opening the text box, Sunset was surprised to see she actually missed some other text messages from her friends.

Most of them read:

“Hey Sunset! We’re meeting at the cafe. Want to come?”
“Yo Sunset! Where’ve you been? It’s like you’ve gone away or something.”
“Sunset, darling? Aren’t you coming over?”
“Are ya ok, Sunset? We haven’t seen ya for weeks now!”
“Sunset Shimmer? Are you okay?”

The latest text message came from Twilight herself, which read:

“Hey Sunset. What’s happened to you? Ever since you bought that new VR headset for your games, it’s almost like you’ve cut yourself off from us, and the world. I know you like your games and all, but you can’t just spend the days in your apartment, playing video games all day long. We want you back. I want my friend back. Please text back after you read this message.”

“Have I really been gone for that long?” Sunset asked herself.

Sunset pondered whether to text back or not, when her attention wandered toward her unfinished game indicated on the screen. She looks down toward her phone, then back at the T.V. After a while, she ultimately shrugged.

“Eh, I’ll answer her later…” Sunset nodded, standing up. “After fifteen more minutes of zombie slaying!”

As Sunset left the table, Ray couldn’t help but shake his head over his owner’s obsession with games. Sunset picked up her headset and dons it back, her burning eyes glaring through the machine. She picks up her controller, set the game off ‘pause’, and resumes her gameplay.

But little did Sunset know, however, that this gameplay of hers would be a night she’d never forget. For outside, the storm raged on, as the thunder roared, and the lightning flashed across the sky. The storm itself begins to pick up, the raindrops pouring from the dark clouds. Amidst the flash of lightning and pouring rain, an aura of sparkling magic floated in the air when the lightning struck.

Upon contacting this loose magic, the lightning absorbs its aura, traveling down a satellite along the rooftop of Sunset’s apartment. The enchanted electricity travels through the wires, making its way along the fiery gamer’s home. The lights around her room began to flicker rapidly, as the energy crawled into Sunset’s game console, toward her headset… and electrocuted the unsuspecting teen.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!” Sunset wailed.

The electricity, combined with Equestrian magic, circuits through Sunset’s body, causing her to spasm and squirm until her whole world went black.


Hours had passed, as Sunset stirred and groaned. The fiery teen wearily stood up, wincing through the throbbing sensation pounding along her head.

“Ow… my head,” She winced, massaging her throbbing head. “What the hay happened?”

At first, all Sunset Shimmer could see is complete darkness. But eventually, she realized she was still wearing her headset and the power was off. Removing her headset, she is greeted by something… strange.

“Hey!” She exclaimed.

The sudden change of her surroundings was perplexing. Outside, while the rain had stopped, something about the evening had this eerily dark atmosphere. A blanket of thick fog covered the building she was in. And as if that weren’t curious enough, all the lights were off.

“Great… the storm knocked the power out,” Sunset muttered. “Better check it out with the janitor, and hopefully avoid the landlord.”

Sunset Shimmer approached the door to her apartment, grabbing the knob, and turned it. Strangely, however, the knob wouldn’t move, and the door wouldn’t open.

“Wait, what?!” Sunset exclaimed, struggling to pry the door open. “Locked?! But how?”

After a moment of struggling, Sunset stepped away from the door for a different approach. She began to search the room, seeking something to open the door. She passed by the glass tank housing her pet gecko, Ray. The room was so dark, she couldn’t see the gecko. But a small glimmer of relief and joy flowed within her, as if she could feel the gecko is still there.

“Rest easy, Ray,” Sunset spoke silently. “The power will be back on soon.”

Still alone in the dark, Sunset Shimmer felt on edge. For everywhere she looked, every place she turned, she could see misshape shadows that resembled fearsome monsters. And certainly not the kind of monsters she knew about back in Equestria.

Suddenly, the air around Sunset Shimmer grew cold, her sense of joy and/or relief immediately drained from her body. In their place, she felt fear and sadness, while a sinister presence lurked from behind. As if sensing the cold hands reaching to grab her, she quickly turned around to find… nothing. The fact it’s what she couldn’t see scared her, for she knew somehow that something was there.

Heart started to rush, matching the pace of her heavy breathing. Cold sweat dripped along her forehead as she anxiously stood, nervously waiting for something to happen. The girl struggled to ready herself, daring not to speak for fear of what sinister creature may respond in return.

All at once, without warning, she immediately seized up, as if an invisible force captured her within its grip. Her whole body turned cold as ice, running rapidly through the blood flowing within her veins. Sunset tried to scream, but her voice was silenced as she succumbed to the freezing cold of the terrifying grip. She fell to the floor, the last thing she sees was the puff of her breath. The world around her faded into the darkness, as Sunset Shimmer was spirited away by the mysterious ghost…