• Published 10th Feb 2020
  • 2,450 Views, 136 Comments

Apple Bloom's Mansion 2: the Phantom Valley - Lucar



Almost a year after the events in the Gem Manor, Apple Bloom must face a new foe while exploring a mysterious haunted valley.

  • ...
1
 136
 2,450

Prologue

Author's Note:

Here it is! The sequel to Apple Bloom's Mansion! Now that I'm finished with the Star Allies Arc in A Sweetie Dreamland, I'm slowing down with this story to start others. There's another story that I have in mind which the first chapter should come out soon, with Scootaloo as the main character.

Anypony outside of Manehattan will say it: nights in Equestria are generally peaceful. At worst, you hear a dog howling to the moon, or a drunk pony singing loudly as if participating in the worst singer contest, but that's all. Peaceful nights are very common for everypony.

For Apple Bloom, peaceful nights became rather uncommon since she started her career as a ghost hunter. It was during the night that ghosts tended to be more active. Not like they weren't active the day too, but easily three quarters of the ghosts prefered the obscurity, and so, only came out in dark places or during the night.

Most of the bad ghosts were among those last ones, like this was the case for the one that Apple Bloom was hunting.

"IIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHH!!!"

"Stop... moving... darn it!"

She received a message from Manehattan about a ghost haunting an alley attacking anypony entering it during the night, so of course she came along with her two trusted companions helping her hunting ghosts to deal with him. It wasn't hard to find the alley, and as planned, the ghost came out as soon as the sun set. As it turned out, the ghost was the one of a very buffed stallion who, alive, lurked this alley to steal and kill anypony entering it two hundreds years ago until guards came to arrest him. It was then revealed that, when facing a serious enough threat, this stallion was a real filly who ran away without even watching where he went. Result: he died falling in a hole to the sewers, neck broken.

And so, it was without surprise that as soon as Apple Bloom started sucking him up with her Poltergust, the stallion flew out of the alley into the street, dragging her behind with his great strength. The filly was thus forced to avoid running ponies and carts while trying to capture the ghost.

Apple Bloom jumped on the head of a stallion to bounce on a cart, yelling "Sorry!" to the stallion before she jumped on another cart, then jumped again to return on the ground while forcefully pulling down on the handle of the Poltergust to slam the ghost and stun him a little. However, the ghost quickly recovered, but before he could restart flying away, an invisible force slammed him again against the floor.

"I am here, Apple Bloom!" The approaching ghost of a yellow furred, brown maned newborn unicorn filly shouted.

"Just in time Little Ghost! Where's the prof?"

"He is coming, but we shouldn't wait for him. Let's finish this guy."

"Agreed!" Apple Bloom shouted before she slammed the ghost again. Too weakened by it, the ghost couldn't resist the vortex anymore and got sucked inside the Poltergust.

"Got him!"

"Yay!" shouted Little Ghost before she gave Apple Bloom a hoof bump.

"Thanks for the help."

"Sorry I couldn't stop him earlier. He really took us by surprise. He was really fast for such a big stallion."

"No kidding."

It was at this moment that an old gray unicorn stallion with a Poltergust on his back came to them out of breath. "Finally... caught you..."

"Sorry Smart Spirit, ya missed everything."

"That's no problem. At least, you caught the ghost. Good job."

"Thanks."

"Now let's return to the Poltermobile. You have school tomorrow and I don't want to get chewed by your sister for bringing you back too late."

Apple Bloom rolled her eyes. "She knows by now that Ah take naps after school to palliate this, so Ah'm now used to not sleeping much."

"But you still need to sleep," replied Smart Spirit with a laugh.

Unbeknown to them, they were being watched.


In the spiritual world, in a certain castle with the entrance inside of the mouth of the skull of a dragon, a skeletal ghost was watching the trio of ghost hunters through a small portal before his throne, his intention particularly focused on the earth pony filly.

Beside him were two other ghosts also watching Apple Bloom, the first being the one of a bearded yellow unicorn stallion with white mane and tail who looked at the filly with pure hate. The second was the ghost of a beautiful purple mare with a blue mane in a beehive style and wearing an elegant dress looking at the filly with interest while petting a three tailed ghost cat.

"I must say, she's getting really good," the mare then said.

"Too good," the stallion said. "Lord Thanatos. Why are we waiting? If... you don't mind me asking..."

The skeletal ghost, Thanatos chuckled before answering, "I just wanted to see if she was really worthy of amusing me before acting. It is nice to watch her catching ghosts, but right now, I can see that she wouldn't stand even the shadow of a chance against me."

The mare huffed. "Of course. Nothing can stand a chance against you, my Lord, and certainly not a little filly, as skilled as she is with this machine."

Thanatos nodded. "Yes, but... she could still give me some fun. Those little hunts are entertaining, but maybe it is time for me to... play a game with her. And finally let you have your revenge, my dear Pyrite."

"Oh oh oh oh oh! What will you do, my Lord?" the mare asks.

"Glad you asked, my dear. I will finally put to use this valley full of ghosts who thought they could escape my rule."

"Oooh! The Evershade Valley? I was waiting the day you would finally show those idiots that they can't get away from you," said the mare. "So you will use the valley to trap this little filly?"

"Yes, and I will need you."

"With pleasure, my Lord," The mare replied with a purr.


Time sure passed quickly for Apple Bloom since this night in the Gem Manor. Before she knew it, almost a year passed. A lot of things happened during this year, from the Crystal Empire coming back to Tirek's rampage. Even her friends, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, found their Cutie Mark.

How ironic. Apple Bloom had to face a manor full of ghosts and save everypony to get her mark, while Sweetie and Scoot's marks were right under their muzzle all this time: a music note and a wheel in fire, respectively, meaning that Sweetie Belle was a singer and Scootaloo could do awesome stunts with her scooter. And yet, Apple Bloom was the one who got her mark first.

If the Gem Manor hadn't appeared, she wouldn't be surprised to discover that her mark would have been something related to apple farming.

But she wasn't regretting getting a mark in ghost hunting. Yes, she had to regularly go hunt ghosts all over Equestria, often in the middle of the night and risking her life, but in return, she made so much great friends, starting with professor Smart Spirit without who none of them would be here. There was also the Gem family who, despite a bad first impression, was a really nice family to be around, especially Little Ghost with whom she became almost inseparable. Then, there were all the nice ghosts she encountered throughout her hunts. Oh, and Diamond Tiara's face when she learned that Apple Bloom was now richer than her? Worth it. Her face when she saw her newly finished manor bigger than hers? Also worth it.

This really made her feel special to be so close to a world that almost nopony knew about. Well, since ghosts started rampaging here and there, after many of them escaped to the four corners of Equestria at the end of her fight against Little Ghost, more ponies were now aware of them, but none of them had as much contact with the paranormal world than Apple Bloom.

One thing that annoyed her, however, was that she still hadn't found that jerk named Pyrite, but she still hoped to find him one day.

And this day was closer than she thought.


Ding dong!

"I'm going! i'm going!"

"No, Platinum! You may scare them!"

The little ghost filly didn't listen however and opened the door to see who rang. She couldn't help but look in awe at the absolutely beautiful purple unicorn mare wearing an elegant white and blue dress and very stylish purple shades standing in front of her.

"Oh my. Look at what we have here," the mare said with a coo. "Hello, little one. My name is Eternal Rest. What is your name?"

Before Platinum Shoes could answer, still in awe at the mare, a silver furred earth pony ghost mare came followed by an old gray ghost unicorn stallion, the both of them looking at Eternal Rest in wonder.

"You are not scared, miss?" Silver Shoes asked.

"Uhuhuhuh. Don't worry about this. Living or dead, a pony remains a pony," replied the mare. "May I enter? I want to talk with the famous ghost hunters who live in this manor. They may be interested in what I want to say."

"Of course, miss. I will guide you. Silver Shoes, could you go warn Smart Spirit?" asked Clean Order, the butler.

"Yes."

"I will warn Apple Bloom!" shouted Platinum Shoes before she flew out of the manor.

Eternal Rest chuckled. "Lovely filly."

Clean Order led the mare to the parlor, which looked closely like the parlor of the Gem Manor, but bigger with more furniture, often apple themed. Near the center of the room was a round table big enough for half a dozen ponies to sit around, where the butler led the mare to sit and wait.

"Do you want anything miss?" he asked.

"No, thank you."

"Smart Spirit shouldn't take long. He must be in his lab. Young Mistress Apple Bloom, however, will probably take more time to come."

"I can wait. I am in no hurry."

Like Clean Order said, it didn't take long for Smart Spirit to enter the room. "Hello, miss. Nice to meet you. My name is Smart Spirit. I heard that you want to say something to me?"

"Yes, but we should wait for... Apple Bloom, was it? Before I properly introduce myself and start to say what I am here for."

And so, later, Apple Bloom entered the room, followed by Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, Little Ghost, and Platinum Shoes. By the time they arrived, most of the Gem Family was in the room, curious to hear what this mare who wasn't scared of them wanted to say.

At seeing Apple Bloom's friends, Eternal Rest raised an eyebrow. "I didn't expect more than one filly to come."

"They're just curious," the Apple filly said. "Ah hope it's no problem."

"Oh, not at all," the mare replied with a chuckle. "I love foals. So adorable. Especially you with your bow, I could just eat you."

Apple Bloom looked away, blushing and rubbing her head. "Uh... P-please, could we avoid speaking about eating me? Ah'd some bad experience..."

"I see," Eternal Rest said with a giggle. "Very well. So, now that everypony is here, let me introduce myself. I am Eternal Rest, owner of a luxurious hotel very far away. I am also, like the professor here, a very big fan of everything that touch to the paranormal. Call it a hobby."

"Ohoh! A fellow passionate!" Smart Spirit said. "If you want, I can show you my lab!"

"Maybe later. I'm not just here to discuss our common passion, but also because I thought that you may be interested in what I possess. But first, let me ask you a question. Does any of you know about the legendary Evershade Valley?"

At this, Smart Spirit nodded while the others all looked in confusion. "A haunted valley in eternal night that is said to be between our world and the spiritual world," he said. "Home to many spirits that we can only see in the later. Me, among many others who learned about it, searched the entrance for some time without success. Its apparition is apparently rather recent."

Eternal Rest smirked. "Then would you believe me if I said that I know where is the entrance?"

Smart Spirit gasped.

"Thought so," said the purple mare with a chuckle before, using magic, she materialized a folded paper that she gave to Smart Spirit. "Here is a map."

Smart Spirit unfolded it, everypony else gathering around him to look. They studied the map, then Smart Spirit exclaimed "Seriously? A tunnel in the North? In a random mountain?"

"Of course. Did you expect it to be in the cliff under the old castle in the Everfree Forest?"

"Nah. Too obvious."

"Exactly. I, myself, only found it by luck. I was traversing the North in search of inspiration exotic for my hotel, but a blizzard surprised me and I had to take cover in a nearby tunnel. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that this tunnel led to the Evershade Valley. I immediately knew that I had to come here to share my discovery with you. I am sure that a paranormal genius like you will discover many things while studying this place. I also encountered the local ghosts, and you will not have to worry about them. They are all pacifist, albeit very mischievous."

“We can’t thank you enough, miss Rest. This will be a huge step for the paranormal community.”

“You are very welcome. Now, I must go. I still have a hotel to run, you see. But I can’t wait to read about your future discoveries.”

“Thank you miss Rest. It was a pleasure to have you here.”

Once the mare was gone, Apple Bloom, after looking at her walking down the hill, turned to the prof. “So, we’ll go to this Evershade Valley?”

"Oh yes! Please! Yes!" shouted Scootaloo.

"I will go to Evershade Valley."

"What? Why?"

“I will probably pass weeks, or even months studying there, and you still have school. I will take my old caravan.”

Apple Bloom sighed while the others looked down in disappointment. “Ah understand. But then, who’ll drive me to go hunt ghosts?”

“I trained your sister to drive the Poltermobile. If you can’t, then you can always take the train. Accompanied by an adult, of course.”

“Applejack? Driving the Poltermobile? Now Ah wanna see that!”


As Smart Spirit said, he took the caravan and went to the North to find the entrance of the Evershade Valley. Before that, he made sure to copy the map just in case. Diamond Cup also went with him to help, and the ghost regularly came back to say how the situation evolved.

Yes, they found the valley. Yes, the ghosts were friendly. Yes, the night was eternal. They discovered that there were five manors there, or rather two mansions (one of them being a museum), two towers side by side, a clockwork factory on top of ruins, and a mine. Those were all places that once were in Equestria, but they were abandoned, and they somehow ended in the valley. The prof installed his lab in the first mansion which he decided to call Gloomy Manor, this mansion being apparently the safest of all. The ghosts were apparently a great help, happy to be useful. Apple Bloom would like to meet them.

But one day...


In the sky above the valley, a certain skeletal ghost floated, looking down at the various manors with a smirk. “It’s time to start our little game,” he said before he raised a claw, deathly purple energy coming out of it and spreading everywhere in the valley.

Down in the Gloomy Manor, Smart Spirit was busy studying in his lab alongside Diamond Cup, a yellow unicorn stallion with a mustache, head of the Gem Family. At their sides were strange green ghosts a little smaller than adult ponies and faintly looking like one without mane. The little ghosts were doing their best to help, but they couldn’t help to turn everything into a game. As long as they didn’t break anything, the prof didn’t mind them, and they were still very useful assistants.

But then, purple energy reached them, and all the ghosts in the room suddenly started to spread havoc.

“What’s going on?” Smart Spirit yelled. He then saw that Diamond Cup was also struggling, holding his head. “Diamond Cup! Are you alright?!”

"Ugh... So... Somepony is... trying to... control me..."

Before Smart Spirit could reply, one of the ghosts suddenly grabbed him. “Hey! Let me go!” he yelled as he struggled, to no avail as more and more ghosts caught him. “Diamond Cup! Get out of there! Go warn Apple Bloom!”

Diamond Cup nodded, then flew out.

Outside, Thanatos watched Diamond Cup fly toward the exit of the valley. "Yes. Go warn her." He then turned to five strange purple ghosts beside him. "Now, go. One of you to each manor." Then, he turned to Pyrite who was behind him. "Remember. No fighting her until the end. In this game, you are the final boss."

Pyrite restrained himself from rolling his eyes. "I can wait a little more. That is, if she doesn't get killed before."

Thanatos chuckled. "If she defeated Bogmire and the little prodigy, then I have no doubt that she will pass my Shadows. But I will still make sure that she struggles to reach you, or it wouldn't be as entertaining. If she still manages to die on the way... Well, too bad."


Later.

Apple Bloom was having dinner with her family when, suddenly, Diamond Cup stormed in the house looking like he saw a ghost, surprising everypony.

"Apple Bloom! Something happened in the valley! Smart Spirit needs your help!"

Apple Bloom recovered from her surprise upon hearing this. “Diamond Cup? What’s going on? What happened?”

"The ghosts of the valley, they suddenly turned hostile! Somepony took control of them, and they captured Smart Spirit!"

"Wait a minute! Did ya say that somepony took control of ghosts?" shouted Applejack.

"This is what I could feel! They also tried to take control of me, but I was able to escape the valley before!"

Apple Bloom stared at Diamond Cup in worry, then at her family. Granny Smith sighed. "Just go save yer friend!"

“Ah’m going with her,” Applejack said. “But before that, Ah must go warn the others. Ah don’t know who took control of the ghosts, but ya may need our help to deal with them.”


Rapidly, Apple Bloom, Applejack, as well as Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy were gathered inside the Poltermobile in front of Apple Bloom’s mansion, Applejack at the wheel. Around them were the Gem Family, wishing them good luck.

You are sure we can’t come?” Little Ghost asked.

“Sorry Little Ghost,” answered Apple Bloom with a shake of her head. “But with somepony able to take control of the ghosts involved, it’s too risky to bring ya.” She turned to the six mare in the car with her, remarking how Fluttershy was shaking. “It’s also risky to come for y'all. Ya aren’t trained to defend yerself against ghosts.”

“Maybe, but whoever took control of the ghosts may be a powerful wizard. You are trained to fight ghosts, not wizards,” said Twilight. “Don’t worry, we will remain in Smart Spirit’s caravan. If any ghost comes, we should be able to deal with them with the Poltergusts here.”

“If a filly could clean a whole manor by herself in one night, then we can defend ourselves against some simple ghosts,” Rainbow Dash added with a nod.

“And ya need me to drive ya to the valley,” Applejack said. “And Ah refuse to let ya go to that there place alone. Not with all those dangers. Ah remember one of the manors is on a cliff that could crumble anytime, right?”

“Uh, yeah. The Treacherous Mansion. Even Smart Spirit refused to enter,” said Apple Bloom as she inspected her Poltergust a last time before the departure, making sure that the flashlight now integrated worked. She also made sure that the Dark-Light Device was installed in it and working properly, the flashlight emitting a rainbow light when activated.

This last device was a recent invention that Smart Spirit created with the help of Twilight. Ghosts tended to use illusions to impede their progression, and only Little Ghost could dispel them. But since Little Ghost wasn’t coming, then this device will be able to dispel them in her place. She will just have to watch out to not overheat it.

"Ah'm ready."

Applejack nodded and started the Poltermobile, the ghosts waving goodbye to them.

The journey to the North took a few hours even with the fast vehicle. They had to stop on the way in the Crystal Empire to rest before continuing in the morning. Following the copy of the map given by Eternal Rest, they quickly found the tunnel leading to the Evershade Valley.

The tunnel was big enough for the Poltermobile to enter, but the path was so rocky that it was a miracle that the wheels didn’t break. The tunnel eventually ended at the start of another path very badly maintained surrounded by dark, dead trees. It was morning, and yet, the sky was now as dark as the night, without any stars visible. Only a dark moon partially hidden by black clouds was giving some light to the place.

The path eventually divided into three paths. One continued forward between the dead trees toward a manor, Smart Spirit’s caravan visible not far from the barrier at the entrance. A second was going to the left toward a forested plateau (the trees being alive there) with two towers barely visible before leaving to cold mountains behind, a mining complex barely visible among them. A third path was going to the right, traversing an old bridge toward a desert area where the clockwork factory could be seen on top of another plateau.

The Evershade Valley welcomed the ponies in all its gloomy glory, and Apple Bloom immediately knew that what happened in the Gem Manor last year was nothing compared to what was awaiting her in this place.