• Published 19th Feb 2020
  • 4,211 Views, 34 Comments

The Music of Betrayal - Echo Breeze



Sunset Shimmer thought her friends cared, as the Battle of the Bands looms, she learns just how much they do.

  • ...
6
 34
 4,211

Chapter Five: Complications

Author's Note:

Sorry for the wait on this chapter, guys. As i said in my blog this morning, I had a bit of writers block, and I couldn't think of a way to finish this chapter. I should have the next one up by tomorrow evening at 16h00 CAT. As always, like and comment. Creative criticism is always welcome' :twilightsmile:

“Sunset!” Both Celestia and I screamed as Sunset passed out. I got up off my chair, and demonstrating a swiftness that I didn't even know I had, caught her before she could hit the ground. Celestia came running over to check on Sunset.

“Is she okay, Violet?” Celestia said as she got to my side.

Looking down, I could see the faint rising and falling of her chest, signalling that she had merely fainted, as well as slightly faded scars that I recognised from my own youth. I turned to Celestia and said, “She’s fine. She’s probably been under a lot of stress, and what she was just told was probably the final straw.” Celestia looked at me with a knowing look. “You know something, don't you?”

“It's nothing that can't be fixed. I'll handle it.” Celestia replied “At least she’s okay. Bring her over to the couch and then we can talk.” I nodded and helped to get Sunset over to the couch. I rejoined Celestia at her desk a few seconds later, not letting Sunset out of my sight. I turned to Celestia, keeping an eye on Sunset out of the corner of my eye.

“So, as I said earlier. Oak and I haven’t really made an effort for another after Dusk, but we have discussed it, and are more than willing to adopt her.” I said, seeing Celestia’s eyes mist at the mention of my daughter. I grabbed her hand. “You cannot blame yourself, Celestia. It was an accident, plain and simple.” she nodded her head in response. I heard a rustle from where we had left Sunset, and I turned to check on her, only, she was gone. The door was standing wide open, and I could hear the retreating footsteps as Sunset ran. “That can’t be good,” I said to Celestia, who shook her head in response.

__________________________________________

I just kept running, not paying attention to where I was going, tears leaving streaks down my face as they flowed.

"There you go again, running from your problems instead of facing them." Sundown taunted me. I tried my best to ignore her. "That is the exact reason why you ended up on the streets back in Equestria."

“Shut up, Sundown.” I whispered under my breath. I made it to my destination some five minutes later, the restroom on the third floor. Sundown didn't relent in her attacks on my psyche.

"Come on, Sunset. You know I'm right. Your parents all but abandoned you in favor of your brother, who showed more talent at a young age." she said, a slight trace of scorn in her voice.

"Shut the buck up, Sundown." I said, tears starting to form in my eyes once again.

'Why would Detective Enigma want to adopt me, of all people.' I thought to myself. I didn't dwell on it. I decided to go to the gym to see if anyone needed my help with their posters for the Musical Showcase.

__________________________________________

"Why do you think she ran?" I asked Celestia as I turned away from the door.

"I don't know a lot about that girl, but I know she had a tough life before coming here.” Celestia said, her face twisted with sorrow. “What I could find out through Luna was that when she was younger, her family abandoned her, leaving her to fend for herself.”

“It’s not right,” I said, turning to Celestia. “I'll get started on the paperwork right away.”

“Okay, but Sunset must have the final say on this. At least wait until after the musical showcase.” Celestia replied.

I turned back toward the door, a determined look in my eye. I wasn’t going to let this go, but I agreed with what Celestia said. I would wait until the musical showcase was over and done with.

“Fine, but I don't like this. I have a feeling something big is about to go down, and I'd hate for her to be hurt because of it.” I said, walking out of the office.

__________________________________________

I kept walking to the gym, all the while trying to get the conversation I overheard in the principal’s office out of my head, but to no avail. I had hardly noticed where I was until I reached the gym. I walked in to see that practically the whole school was there busy working on their posters. I just kept walking, not noticing Pinkie waving frantically at me. I walked over to the CMC.

“Need any help?” I asked Applebloom, grabbing the paintbrush from her tin of orange paint. She turned to me and grabbed the brush back, a skeptical look on her face.

“No thanks, we’re good.” she drawled. I turned away, trying to hide the hurt look in my eyes. That was when Pinkie called out to me.

“Sunset Shimmer! Over here!” I started walking towards them, trying to hide my face amid the stares and harsh whispers. I kept walking towards them, right arm across my chest, hand holding my left arm in a display of timidity, something I never had before the rainbow laser blast to the face.

“Uhhh,” I sighed, masking my sadness with the bit of frustration I felt bubbling to the surface. “I had no idea the whole school was going to be here.” Rarity and Pinkie then telling me about the poster that they had made. I zoned out a bit, thinking once again about the conversation I had overheard, but noticed when Applejack told Fluttershy had gotten a bit of the frosting (?) from Pinkie and Rarity’s poster on her face. I looked over to see her wipe some of it off, only to see her miss most of it. I went over to her with a handkerchief and wiped the rest of it off. Just then Principal Celestia and Vice-Principal Luna walked in.

“Good afternoon students.” Principal Celestia said with a flourish. “I just wanted to tell you all how pleased I am that so many of you are going to participate in the first ever Canterlot High School Musical Showcase.” The students all started cheering.

“This is a wonderful opportunity to raise money for all our after school programs here at CHS, so keep working on those signs and posters. I think it's going to be the most exciting event we’ve had at CHS since the Fall Formal.” Everyone in attendance then stared at me with unbridled hatred, apart from my friends, which now included Trixie. I just slid down the wall and hid my face.

Comments ( 8 )

Interesting.

:facehoof: Really Celestia, bringing the Formal up by name? That's not going to help any. Just say "in quite some time" or something if you have to, don't bring it up specifically.

10264275
I agree wholeheartedly with that. I think that the storyboard directors for the movie did it that way on purpose to create a bit of visible tension.

I have a feeling there's going to be a big showdown between Gilda and shimmer this is going to get messy

When is the next chapter going to come out???

10500490
Sorry about the wait on the next chapter. I've had my hands full with other stuff as well. I hope that I can update this story and the other one at the end of this week. Keep an eye on my blog for updates.

Oh ok. Thanks!

Any chances you're gonna continue this? Please do it a pretty great read😍

Login or register to comment