• Published 19th Feb 2020
  • 4,210 Views, 34 Comments

The Music of Betrayal - Echo Breeze



Sunset Shimmer thought her friends cared, as the Battle of the Bands looms, she learns just how much they do.

  • ...
6
 34
 4,210

Chapter Three: It's Only a Matter of Time

I was on my way home after almost being attacked by Gilda at the mall. It was supposed to be a little get together of just Rarity and I, but shit hit the fan really quick after Gilda showed up.

'I genuinely still don't think I deserve them as friends.' I thought to myself as I drove past the convenience store near my apartment. 'Though, if they truly valued me, wouldn't they have asked me to join their band.' The hardware store next door to the convenience store piqued my interest. I flicked on my blinker and turned into the parking lot. Walking into the hardware store after locking my truck, I headed straight to the hunting supplies.

'I'm not gonna take any chances now that I know Gilda is out for my blood. Best be prepared. Sorry Fluttershy, I know I said no more knives, but I just can't take the risk of not being ready for her' I thought as I went to pick up a little switchblade to inspect it.

"Can I help… you!!! What are you doing here Shimmer?" the clerk said. I looked up to see none other than Trixie standing behind the counter.

"Trixie… I'm just here to do some shopping. What are you doing here? I replied, venom dripping from my voice. I never forgot what she did to me at the mall two days after the Fall Formal.

"Oh, I work here when not doing shows. Now, may I assist you with anything?" she replied, all traces of displeasure gone from her voice, in its place was a tone that was all business.

"Yeah. I'm just browsing the fine blades that you have on offer here. How much is the switchblade going for?" I replied in earnest.

"That one is going for five hundred, and comes with a protective, belt fastened pouch and two replacement blades." Trixie replied. "All business aside, what do you plan on doing with it? She asked

"Oh, nothing special. Just a bit of insurance against a pending threat on my life from Gilda." I replied nonchalantly.

"Oh Gods. She's threatening you. Damn. I had no idea you were getting it that bad." she said, genuine shock registering on her face. I lifted my sleeve.

"Yeah. That was after the first time she confronted me at school after my suspension was over." I said.

"Shit. So you really have changed. Instead of lashing out at others, you lashed out on yourself." she said. The look of shock slowly transforming into one of concern.

"Yeah. It's kinda not something I like talking about, so it took a lot out of me to show you. Only my friends know about it." I replied, the word friends still feeling weird on my tongue.

"So then, I guess that kinda makes me your friend, doesn't it?" Trixie asked, hope thickly laced in her voice.

"Yeah, I guess it does." I replied, the first genuine smile to grace my features since the impromptu tea party at Fluttershy's house.

"Great. Tell you what, you pay the cost price on the knife, and I'll cover Tax and Markup." Trixie said in excitement.

"Are you sure." I asked her.

"Sure, what are friends for," she replied. "Besides, the Great and Powerful Trixie is not about to leave her first real friend hanging."

"Okay then. Here you go." I handed over my card and she processed the payment. "I don't carry cash on me these days, too much of a risk" I said.

"Great. So, see you at school on Monday?" she asked

"You bet, Great and Powerful Trixie." I replied with a wink. I walked out towards my truck, not realising that I was being watched from the opposite side of the parking lot. I hit the unlock button on my key fob and climbed into my truck. I took out my phone and dialed Rainbow Dash's number.

"Hey Sunny, what's up?" she answered the call.

"Nothing much. I'm just calling to let you know that our friendship circle has just increased by one." I replied.

"What? When? Who?" she asked.

"Slow down Dash. It happened not five minutes ago, and it is none other than Trixie." I replied, a tinge of laughter in my voice.

"What!? Does she know she's one of the people who pushed you to…"

"Yes Dash, I know. And she does know now. She even apologised. I took a page out of your book by giving her a second chance. I know she deserves it more than I did." I replied.

"Now Sunset, we talked about you talking about yourself self-deprecatingly." she warned.

"I know, it's just hard you know. Anyway, gotta get home now. A lot of AP Physics work to get through, and Mrs. Harshwinny is not going to forgive me if I don't finish on time." I replied.

"Yeah. See ya on Monday, Sunset." she replied.

"Yeah, see ya then." I said before ending the call.

'Dammit. I gotta ease up on the self-deprecation when talking to them. They're gonna worry again. I don't wanna put them through all that again.' I thought to myself.

'Aww, how cute of you to think about their feelings.' my demon said with maniacal glee. 'To think that you think they give a shit about you, truly heartwarming'

'Ignore her. Think happy thoughts, Sunset.' I thought to myself.

'Hahaha.' The demon cackled maniacally. 'Like that will work. We both know the other reason you bought that knife, don't we.' she said with a crazy glint in her eye.

'Shut up. Just shut up. I refuse to give in to you, you maniacal bitch.' I screamed internally.

' Oh Sunset, Sunset. You are still so naive. Don't you get it, I am you, so you are calling yourself a maniacal bitch. And here I thought that you were going to stop thinking self-deprecating thoughts.' the demon said. I didn't answer, instead I started my truck and headed home.

__________________________________________

It was a quarter after five in the evening when the phone on my desk suddenly rang.

"Canterlot High School, Luna speaking." I answered as always.

"Good afternoon, Vice-Principal Luna, It's Rarity Belle." the person on the other side said.

"Ahh, Miss Belle. What can I do for you?" I replied.

"I have a certain pressing matter involving a certain girl in my group and one Gilda Gryphon. I was hoping that you could look into it for me as the girls and I are quite worried for her wellbeing." Rarity replied, a hint of worry in her voice.

"Very well, Miss Belle." I sighed. "I will look into it. What would said matter entail?" I asked.

"Various acts of bullying, several hateful letters telling her to off herself as well as various threats upon her life. Please can you let us girls know of what is going to happen as Sunset is now a very close friend." she replied.

"Very well, Miss Belle. I will let you know as soon as possible." I replied.

"Thank you, Vice-Principal Luna." she said as I put the receiver back in its place. I rubbed my temples in order to quell the headache I felt forming. I then got up and made my way to Celestia's office next door. I knocked, announcing my arrival.

"Come in." she said from beyond the door. I opened it and walked in. "What can I do for you, sister?"

"It would seem as if my speculation after the Fall Formal was correct, sister. Sunset Shimmer simply cannot catch a break." I replied, sighing in exasperation.

"Oh dear, do tell dear sister, what has befallen her this time?" she asked, worry evident in her face.

"It would seem that one Gilda Gryphon has taken to the idea of threatening the poor girl. I understand that Sunset Shimmer was not the best person before the Fall Formal, but even I can see that she has changed for the better." I replied. There was a sudden bout of knocking on the door, and Celestia called for them to enter. Three teenage girls entered, looking a bit awed to be in our company.

"Good afternoon Principal, Vice-Principal." They said, nodding at each of us in turn. "My sisters and I were hoping to enroll in your school for the rest of this year."

"Oh, but of course. You girls are most welcome to. Just fill in the necessary paperwork at the reception desk and we should have your schedules ready before lunch on Monday." Celestia replied.

"Thank you kindly. We shall see you on Monday then." the taller of the three, an orange skinned girl with long, wavy hair said as they turned to leave. The door closed and we continued our conversation.

"Now, back to the matter of Sunset Shimmer and Gilda Gryphon?" I asked.

"Very well, sister. I will look into it." Celestia replied.

"That is all I ask, Celie." I said as I turned to leave.

__________________________________________

Luna had just left my office when I got an idea. I picked up my cell phone and dialed Sunset's number.

"Hello, Sunset speaking." she answered.

"Hello Sunset, it's Celestia. I was wondering if I could ask you a favour. Three new girls are coming to CHS on Monday, and I was hoping that you would show them around." I said.

"Of course. When will they arrive?" She asked.

"They should be here during your off period before lunch." I replied.

"Perfect. See you on Monday, Principal Celestia." She said.

"See you on Monday, Sunset." I said before she ended the call. I put the receiver back in its cradle and sat back in my desk chair.

'We'll see how things end up on Monday. With any luck, Gilda will be too wrapped up in the musical showcase to pay Sunset attention' I thought to myself as I gazed out of my office window.

__________________________________________

I put my phone back down on the desk next to where I was busy with my AP Physics homework.

'Why does Principal Celestia want me to show the new girls around?' I thought to myself as I turned my hifi back on. I started blasting the playlist that was playing before Principal Celestia had phoned. 'It's probably nothing.'

I continued with my homework, stopping around eight that night to eat, shower and sleep. My AP Physics homework is finally done.

__________________________________________

I opened my eyes to see the well known landscape of my nightmares with the she-demon. The battle scarred territory of the CHS front quad. The hollow laughter didn't faze me anymore.

"Come out, Sundown. I know you're there." I said with no enthusiasm.

"Aww. I don't scare you anymore? That sucks. I can still hurt you though." she said as she dove straight for me, claws extended.

"No. You can't. I know my friends will be there for me, and there is nothing that you can do to make me forget that. Princess Twilight was right about one thing…" I said, all my energy focused on the feeling that my friends give me when they're around. "Friendship is magic…"

"Ahhhhh. This isn't over, little pony. I will return. You can never rid yourself of me that easily." Sundown yelled as she was blasted by the magic forcefield that emanated from me.

"That's fine by me. You can keep coming back, and I will keep defeating you. It's only a matter of time."