• Published 21st Feb 2020
  • 3,985 Views, 102 Comments

Ring Around The Moon -- Part I - Lets Do This



A shadow descends upon Canterlot. Celestia announces the impending return of Nightmare Moon. And Twilight, Tempest, and their fellow students find there's more to being Equestria's chosen defenders than they bargained for...

  • ...
1
 102
 3,985

Ruthless Symmetry

That evening, just after sunset, Princess Celestia was in her suite, lying on her daybed. There was a gilded chest beside her, filled with elderly, crumbling parchment letters. She gently lifted them out one by one with her magic, reading them over. Her eyes were moist, her expression pained. And yet she kept reading. And wishing, and hoping...

There was a loud rap at the door.

Quickly composing herself, Celestia tucked the letters away and shut the chest. "Yes? What is it?"

"Your Highness? Miss Sparkle is here."

"Twilight? Oh, please, send her in!"

The right-hand door swung open, and Twilight peered around it. Though she was nearly full-grown now, she managed to look exactly like the meek little filly Celestia recalled so fondly, peering in anxiously at her revered mentor.

"Princess?" Twilight asked cautiously. "Are you busy?"

"Never too busy for you, Twilight. What is it?"

Twilight glanced back at the armored pony looming behind her. "I may be a while, Tempest."

"Take your time, Twilight. I'll be right here."

"Thanks!" Twilight trotted in, and Tempest pulled the door shut behind her.

Celestia nodded approvingly as she approached.

"I envy you your bodyguard, Twilight."

"Oh!" Twilight grinned sheepishly. "Tempest just likes to keep an eye on me. She's such a good friend. They all are, really..." Twilight smiled at the thought.

And then she realized the Princess was giving her an amused look. "What?"

"Can this be the same Twilight Sparkle," Celestia asked, "who'd disappear behind a book whenever the subject of friends was even mentioned?"

"Uhm..."

"I'm teasing, Twilight." Celestia put out a hoof to gently touch Twilight's cheek. "I'm proud of you, proud of the progress you've made. You've learned to open up and reach out, to be there for others. Your friends notice it and they respond to it. You inspire them, Twilight: to do their best, and be their best. Where you lead, they'll follow. And they have no fear, knowing they have you to turn to. You bring out the best in them, all of them..."

Celestia gazed down fondly at her student, and nodded.

"Yes, Twilight. I am very proud of you... very proud, indeed!"

She paused, then laughed, giving Twilight an embarrassed look. "Oh, listen to me! I'm rattling on. To what do I owe the pleasure of your company, my faithful student?"

Twilight had been staring wide-eyed at Celestia, completely mesmerized. She shook her head, then drew herself up formally.

"Ahem! Your Highness, the Advanced Projects group would like to request your permission for us to oversee the preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration."

"Oh?"

"We... have a few ideas about how to make it extra special. I can't really go into the details because... well, it's kinda meant to be a surprise!"

Celestia gave Twilight a curious, speculative look. And then her expression suddenly turned mournful. "Oh, Twilight, you and your friends are already doing so much! And here you're leaving me with simply nothing to do!"

"Oh! We didn't mean to!" Twilight gritted her teeth nervously. "I mean, if you wanted to oversee it yourself, we could always --"

Celestia held up a hoof. "I'm joking, of course. If it's important to your group's work, Twilight, I am more than pleased to leave the Celebration in your capable hooves."

Twilight sighed in relief. "Thank you, Princess!"

"Thank you, Twilight!" Celestia replied. "I'll have the Chief Steward send you the current list of tasks. But if there are any changes you'd like to make, by all means let my staff know."

"We'll get right on it!" Twilight said. "And, well... that was pretty much it, that's all we needed. So... I'll just let you get back to whatever you were doing..."

"Twilight! I wasn't doing anything that important. And we so seldom have a chance to talk. Can't you stay and visit, for a few minutes at least?"

"Oh! Of course, Princess!" Twilight said willingly.

Celestia smiled warmly back at her.

And then, by inches, the Princess's expression grew quietly serious.

"What is it, Your Highness?" Twilight asked, worried.

"Time is so short," Celestia said. "And while I would gladly spend hours chatting with you about absolutely nothing, there is one thing I've long meant to tell you. Something you need to know, about Nightmare Moon's return. And... now seems an opportune moment. We might be too busy later on."

"Oh?" Twilight's eyes went wide. "What is it?"

Celestia, in reply, merely motioned with her head. Getting up from her daybed, she led the way out onto her room's open-air balcony. The evening breeze was already comfortably warm, and above them the night sky was spread like a faint purple gauze curtain, sprinkled with glittering stars.

Riding high above it all was the Moon, with its Mare shadow.

Celestia settled herself near the balcony, motioning for Twilight to sit beside her. The Princess gazed up at the Moon for a long while, her expression thoughtful and sad.

"There is a balance to things, Twilight," she finally said. "A ruthless symmetry we ignore at our peril. A thousand years ago, I cast a spell in anger, not really considering the consequences. And now that debt is about to come due.

"For a thousand years, Equestria has known peace and prosperity. Maybe not always perfect, but generally pleasant. And now, that millennial Day draws to its end, and we face the Night that follows, without the aid of the very Elements that brought it about."

She looked down at Twilight. "When I used the Elements of Harmony that one final time, the Elements became drained, inert, unusable. Perhaps it was because their power is now invested in the spell that imprisons the Nightmare. Perhaps it's because they were not meant to be used in anger like that. The question is moot, really. Even were the Elements available for use, I would not be able to use them myself."

Celestia gazed down at Twilight, tall, proud... and there was an old look in her eyes -- very old, and deeply melancholy.

"As I said, there is a balance in these things. Before the Banishment, Nightmare Moon had an innate affinity with the Moon and the Stars, much as I do with the Sun. When I used the Elements of Harmony against her, she became imprisoned in her Moon, with the Stars serving as lock and key. And when that lock fails us, when the Stars finally weaken and Nightmare Moon is set free again... that balance will be reversed. And I do not know, Twilight, I honestly do not know what the effects will be. Very likely, I will become the one imprisoned... in my Sun."

"In the Sun!" Twilight was horrified. "But... Princess, you'll be --"

"Perhaps," Celestia allowed. "Perhaps not. My affinity with the Sun may yet protect me. But even were I not simply destroyed, I would be locked away up there, unable to do anything to stop her... or to aid you."

Celestia stared at Twilight sadly.

"I'm very sorry, Twilight, but when the thousandth solstice arrives, and you face Nightmare Moon, you must do so without me. I will not be there to assist you. And believe me, Twilight, this is not how I would wish things. It is simply the price I must pay for my rashness, all those many long years ago..."

"Princess..." Twilight stared up at Celestia, eyes wide, utterly terrified.

Her eyes suddenly pooled with tears, and she flung herself at Celestia, hugging her desperately. And the Princess held her close, head resting on her mane, sweeping her wings forward to shelter the sobbing pony.

It was a long while before Twilight felt able to speak again. "Princess," she managed to whisper. "I'm sorry... I really should be more grown-up about this, shouldn't I?"

"Twilight..." Celestia whispered gently. "One of the benefits of being grown up is, you get to decide when tears are appropriate."

Twilight looked up at her, and saw the Princess was silently weeping as well. The two of them held each other tightly, for a long while, comforting and being comforted.

"I should have told you earlier," Celestia finally said, gently stroking Twilight's mane. "Though I'm not sure it wouldn't have done more harm than good. But Twilight, you need to remember this: even though I will not be with you, you will not be alone. You will have your friends with you. And you will have all of Equestria behind you. You will have everything that I have taught you, all the knowledge and skill you have worked so hard to acquire. In point of fact, Twilight, there is nothing more I can give to you. You already have everything you need."

"Yes, Princess," Twilight said, forcing herself to sit up straight, head held high... even as she snuffled and wiped her eyes.

"And you have one thing more," Celestia added. "My unstinting belief in you. I know you have what it takes, to lead and guide your friends, to face Nightmare Moon -- and, if it should come to it, to lead all of Equestria as well."

"Princess?"

"I have given instructions, Twilight, that in the event that I do not return after the solstice, you will succeed me as Princess of Equestria."

"Me?" Twilight gaped. "But, Princess... I'm only a unicorn!"

"So was Princess Amoré, of the Crystal Empire," Celestia remarked. "Though so few remember her, nowadays."

"But... there's no way I could run the whole country! Not like you do!"

"Twilight, what makes you think I run the country?" Celestia smiled in amusement. "For the most part, it runs itself. I do my best to interfere as little as possible. I merely serve as a court of last resort, making decisions that ponies cannot agree to make themselves. I use my knowledge and experience to suggest answers, when it seems there are none. And I serve as a rallying point for the loyalty of the nation: a source of inspiration, of reassurance, of courage. By pledging fealty to me, they pledge it to each other, to this land we all share together. That is what being a Princess truly means, Twilight. And it is that I see in you."

"But... wouldn't Princess Cadance --"

"If it should turn out," Celestia interrupted, "that Princess Cadance is the right choice to lead the nation, that is all well and good. But somepony will need to make that call. A pony on the spot, who understands what's at stake, and knows what must be done. And it is my belief -- and Cadance's, as well -- that that pony should be you, Twilight. You will know what must be done. And you will be able to make the right decision, when the time comes."

Twilight let out a slow exhale.

Then she swallowed nervously, and sat stiffly and tall. "I'll do my best, Princess."

"You always do, my faithful student. I feel completely at ease, leaving my dominion in your care. You really are a most exceptional pony."

Celestia reached out a hoof, and drew Twilight close again, resting her head on Twilight's mane.

"I believe in you, Twilight Sparkle. I always have!"

"Thank you, Princess," Twilight whispered softly.

------------------------------

Some time later, the door finally swung open. Tempest's eyes snapped open, and she watched as Twilight stepped through into the hallway, the door swinging gently closed behind her. She saw the look on Twilight's face.

"That bad?" she asked gently, rising to join her. "She didn't go for our idea?"

"No... it's not that. It's something else. Something... kinda personal." Twilight shook her head fiercely. Then she looked up at Tempest. There was an unusual fire in her eyes, an unstinting determination.

"Tempest, we're going to organize the Summer Sun Celebration," she said. "Just as we planned. And then we'll face Nightmare Moon, try to convince her to return peacefully. And then... well, we'll protect Equestria! All of it!" She stamped her hoof. "Because they're depending on us, Tempest! And we're not going to let them down!"

Tempest smiled. "Now there's the Twilight I know. And we're all with you. How can we help?"

"Just stick close, and be the good friends you've always been."

Tempest nodded proudly. "I think we can handle that. Lead on."

Together, they trotted off down the corridor.

------------------------------

Trixie sat alone, on her bunk in her wagon. In her hooves was a large, heavily-clasped book from the Archives, which was opened to a woodcut picture: the only one Moondancer had been able to find of Princess Luna immediately prior to the Banishing. Tall, proud, wings spread -- she was the very image of swift justice and exactitude.

Not bad, Trixie thought. They even got her expression right... sort of.

"I had to tell them, Princess," Trixie whispered. "I had to tell them, well... everything..."

She felt a gentle hoof on her shoulder. "We knew this day would come, Trixie," Luna whispered to her. "It fact, we planned for it all along."

"We did? I mean, you did?"

"Of course. And thou makes it sound like such a bad thing. Now they will believe in thee more than ever... because they want to believe. Thou are the redeemed pony, in their eyes. They will not wish to let thee go. They will want to keep thee close, even defend thee from others who might challenge thee... right up to the very end."

Trixie shut her eyes. "But, it's still a lie..."

"An important one," Luna told her. "An essential one. "

Trixie sighed helplessly.

"All I want is someone who cares about me -- who believes in me."

Luna leaned closer, her voice a ghostly whispering in Trixie's ear:

"You will have that, Trixie, and more, once I am released."

"But how can I be sure?"

"Trust in me, Trixie," Luna said. "Remember, never any fear..."

"... and never any doubt, I know."

"And remember this, as well," Luna added, her voice becoming cold and stern, "when I tell you what to do, Trixie Luna Moon, if you ever wish to be Great and Powerful, you will do it... for me."

Trixie nodded. "I will, Princess."

And she shivered.

She'd never felt more alone in her life.

------------------------------

In the tower room, at the main worktable, Cheese Sandwich sat long into the night, scribbling away at notes, and sketches, and lists and plans... and getting nowhere fast. This just wasn't his style. He never did things by the book. He always did things off the cuff, winging it like a maddened chicken.

"No offense, Boneless," he added.

The rubber chicken sat on the table next to him, head drooping and staring blankly... and mildly accusingly, he thought.

Turning back to his work, Cheese shook his head. Off the cuff wouldn't do here. Not this time. This gig is too important. I have to get it right. For Equestria's sake... and for Twilight and her friends. They'd been so kind and welcoming, to a complete stranger from out of town, with no credentials or recommendations to offer.

Cheese stared around at the huge room, with its window wall, its scientific apparatus, its library of hoof-selected books... This is our workroom, Twilight had said. So you're welcome to use it too. And if there's anything you need, just let me know, and I'll talk with Celestia's staff. We'll make it happen.

So he had a blank check, pretty much, and the royal ear, or near enough. On top of that, he had all his natural, innate, cutie-mark-official skill at partying and making ponies smile...

... and he wasn't sure it would be enough.

"Don't look at me like that, Boneless," he pleaded. "I know I should ask for help. But who to ask?"

And then he realized. Who else, he thought, but the pony who showed me how?

Grabbing a message scroll and quill, and pausing for a moment for inspiration to strike, he began writing...

Dearest Pinkie Pie --

You may not remember me, but I came through town not long ago. I need to ask your help. I'm working on a huge party bash for a really important pony, up here in Canterlot. I can't tell you all the details in this letter since it's kinda hush-hush, but it's also crazy important, and I'm not sure I can pull it off on my own. But I know you can! Can I maybe, possibly, humbly ask you to come lend a hoof?

Sincerely Yours,
Cheese Sandwich (You know, the one with the chicken?)

P.S. We have animal balloons!

He read it over again, and nodded.

I wonder what the overnight postal rates are to Ponyville?

To Be Continued...

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, its characters and indicia are the property of Hasbro.
No infringement is intended. This story is a work of fan fiction, written by fans for fans of the series.

Comments ( 52 )

Hells yeah! Been following your AU with great interest! excited to read it. Things be coming to a head.

10096481
Thanks, NJDB!
Wait 'til you read Part II... I'll be interested to hear what you think!
:twilightsmile:

10096506
Many thanks! Yes, this wound up being a two-parter finale, just to have the space to tie everything up properly. Hope you enjoy it!
:twilightsmile:

10096507
Oh, I'm sure Star Swirl, on one of his travels, must have impressed the locals by casting a localized freeze spell to reach their village by crossing a lake. Hence "walking on water" as a metaphor for being held in high (perhaps undeserved) regard.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...
:twilightsmile:

See, we had some hope in this story then you had to go and take it away.

10096589
? How do you mean? What do you find troubling?

And here we go....

10096595
Well the Luna visiting Trixie separably thing gives the audience the impression that Luna is conscious and separate from Nightmare Moon, genuinely caring about Trixie. But right at the end there, Luna starts behaving coldly like Nightmare Moon, implying that the visits by Luna may be Nightmare Moon playing harsh mentor/secretly-evil mentor with Trixie, using the "Luna" visits to spy on Trixie and see if she's secretly working against Nightmare.
I'm just dreading the angst I think I see coming.
My concerns were primed by coincidentally watching this today before reading this story.

10096615
Don't lose hope yet... wait until you see where this is going...

Okay. I was hoping you'd call it done by this point. But Luna's thing finally killed what good I had left for it. Now it feels like you keep it going for the sake of keeping it going for as long as you want.

That is not a good way to write anything. Because it starts to feel like the author didn't care about what the end goal was, and just liked adding unneeded baggage.

Well, THAT was a rollercoaster of emotions. And once again, you’ve left us hanging from a cliff. I hate you and love you simultaneously, and I can’t decide what’s winning right now.

And that’s why he’s called Cliff Hanger!

10096727
Thanks so much, Eroraf86, for following along with this, and for your feedback -- it's writer's fuel! And rest assured, there is a conclusion. I'll be very interested to see what you think of it!
:twilightsmile:

A rollercoaster of emotion, leading on to the big day! This is shaping up to be something amazing!

10097156

A rollercoaster of emotion, leading on to the big day! This is shaping up to be something amazing!

Thanks much for reading, and for the chapter-by-chapter feedback -- for a longer piece like this I need all the encouragement I can get! Looking forward to hearing what you think about the conclusion!
:twilightsmile:

We're gonna throw Nightmare Moon a party, and we'll make Celestia pay for it! I see nothing wrong with this plan.

I did always want to show what would have happened if Moondancer held a party for Twilight, and Twilight actually showed up this time. And if you're gonna throw a party, who better to plan it than the inimitable Cheese Sandwich? ("Uh... and Pinkie?" :pinkiehappy:)

REALLY good job on the final chapter of part one/ set-up for part two. Yeah, superb work on the exchanges and characterizations as usual. I particularly enjoyed Celestia's chat with Twilight, Twilight rallying her friends to get ready for the Summer Sun Celebration and Cheese Sandwich sending that letter to Pinkie Pie. Though, yeah, that "dream chat" with Trixie was some appropriately nerve-wracking cliff hanger stuff.

REALLY looking forward to Part II of the finale.

10097444
Thanks, CK -- I always look forward to your feedback, and especially so in this series. Hearing what stands out for you in the story, and your reactions to it, in such detail is a real shot in the arm! (And do feel free to point out weaknesses too -- coming from a supportive commenter like you, I know it would help!)

Looking forward to your reaction(s) to Part II! And thanks again!
:twilightsmile:

Heck yes! Trixie is still working for, possibly, the bad guy! We’re not out of the woods yet! I can’t tell you how much I look forward to these updates.

10097602
Thanks so much! You know I wouldn't short-change you like that. And trust me on this: it's all woods here...
:twilightsmile:

10097579
10097656
I didn't write that one, Tempest did. Seriously -- all I'd put down was the cutting-edge part, and the character ad-libbed the rest herself. The subconscious is funny that way...
:twilightsmile:

...Oh, boy. The crazy's about to stack itself upon itself... I suppose, when the Godzilla Threshold approaches, sometimes you must unleash Godzilla. Though it's best to hold it back until you actually hit the threshold.
10096727
...It has been so long since I have seen that show, and yet I still remember that jingle, tune and all...

10097641
I see... Hope she doesn't mind me borrowing it if I ever need it, then.

... why do you continue to give me fantastic Ideas I have no where to bounce off?! You're evil and horrible and I love it dear Lord keep it up! Seriously. Tempest and Trixie are definitely becoming my favorite two ponies in this fic... Right after Twilight. I can't help but love that bookworm. Ahem, anyhow, I can't wait for the next set of chapters! So excited to see where this all leads and what'll come of it in the end!

I also heard you have a tree problem? I can fix that. :pinkiehappy: Everyone underestimates the problem solving capacity of High Explosives.

10097708
Thanks! I thought it was important, as a way for Tempest to establish that she and Shining Armor have a common loyalty and a shared sense of responsibility. This is Tempest when she's not out conquering pony kingdoms or caging princesses: she finds something important to her and holds onto it, resolutely and fiercely. She's not a fanatic, but she's almost more dangerous than one, because she's fully rational about her obsessive approach...

10097602

"This is a good trick! It's called the truth!"

You will find, I think, that it is the very best trick.

It has been some time now that I read a story of such skill and intrigue. You really make us readers guess which direction the path our protagonists will take. You really flesh out the characters while still keeping their personalities in check. Though your really are stretching it with Trixie. If it wasn't for her equestrian girl counterpart I would have said that this Trixie isn't like her cannon self.

For example when Trixie is amongst friends. She rarely speaks in 3rd person. That's her stage persona. Just food for thoughts. :twilightsmile:

P.S I'm a Trixie fan.

Calling in Pinkie Pie for backup... well I’m sure everything is guaranteed to work out perfectly now.

Will this mysterious Mare be bringing some of her friends to help?
With Apple related products, or an aerial show? Maybe some tips on fashionable decorations, or maybe that hot new experimental musical accompaniment, using songbirds as instruments?:trixieshiftright:

10098693
"Lulamoon" is the name Trixie wound up with (accidentally) when she signed in at the School (see Trixie Luna Moon), and given that she's one of the "charmed circle" around Twilight, it's not surprising Canterlot ponies would at least have heard of her by now. (By the by, Trixie's cape doesn't have moons on it -- believe me, I checked myself when I wrote the scene, and was so disappointed I couldn't use that as a connection!)

And Twilight has always been Celestia's particular focus, going back to the original story, Not Exactly Friends -- she's the one Celestia sees as having potential to lead, not only her group of friends, but Equestria itself. She's Princess-worthy material precisely because it's not her goal in life, but her skill, power, and capacity to mentor others nevertheless make her perfectly suited for the role. (Like Douglas Adams once wrote: who can possibly rule, if no one who wants to can be allowed to?)

And there's another reason Twilight is the particular focus here, but you know, spoilers...
:twilightsmile:

10098900
Well, you know Pinkie... it's no fun having a party when you're all by yourself!
:pinkiecrazy:

10099031
Thanks, Mugen -- couldn't have put it better myself!
:twilightsmile:

I wonder how ol'Cheese will play a role in the coming night.

Be hilarious if he and Pinkie defeat Nightmare alone.

10103587
sorry, but I checked out of the series and story. I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship here where the problems are really clear, but nobody's going to change anything. The author keeps making really bizzar plot contrivences for no reason. Like the time a guard remembered trixie said trixie luna moon instead of trixie lulamoon 2 months after she was accepted into the school. I love the charceters, but if I keep reading I'm just going to pull my hair out on the leaps in logic.

10099031
can you really argue any action over the course of several years would be better then nothing? Doing nothing ensures Nightmare moon has her grip on Trixie. Acting and failing would probably be better then that. Plus Celestia is pretty smart she and trixie is a terrible mage; if worse comes to worse she could simply restrain Trixie and calmly explain something. Or she could have earned trixie's trust over the ten years trixie has beeen a student at her school and friend of twilight sparkle and that she's known trixie was a servant of nightmare moon.

Honestly, I feel like I am hurting myself by reading this story.

10098693

I've honestly stopped reading this series activly hurts me with it's plot contrivences. Like I said you've got great characterizations, but the logic holding these stories together is as strong as wet cardboard.

Yes, the charmed circle would have some spotlight on them it's been years of mudane school work for them in the public eye; most likely they'd be forgoten saved for twilight unless a, they've been doing stuff to raise their profiles and keep them relevant b, if they talk about celestia a lot. To a regular guy like the donut guy I think he'd know twilight was a student of celestia and trixie's first name, but the last name really seems odd.

10104054
Celestia doesn't know trixie has doubts though; for all she knows trixie could be a complete psychopath and enjoy nmm company.

What really angers me is that celestia is allowing a child to be mentally abused by her psychopathic sister and she doesn't even try to stop it.

How many stories will be in this series?

10108204
The next one's the finale -- but see the Author's Note at the end.

"Oh!" Twilight grinned sheepishly. "Tempest just likes to keep an eye on me. She's such a good friend. They all are, really..." Twilight smiled at the thought.

Oh yes, friendship.

Ooo, is she about to tell Twilight that it's Luna?

Wait, no, this is a much scarier reveal.

"Twilight, what makes you think I run the country?" Celestia smiled in amusement. "For the most part, it runs itself. I do my best to interfere as little as possible. I merely serve as a court of last resort, making decisions that ponies cannot agree to make themselves. I use my knowledge and experience to suggest answers, when it seems there are none. And I serve as a rallying point for the loyalty of the nation: a source of inspiration, of reassurance, of courage. By pledging fealty to me, they pledge it to each other, to this land we all share together. That is what being a Princess truly means, Twilight. And it is that I see in you."

I suspect that Luna is going to have a little trouble fitting in, she may well be from an era where princessing was a little more authoritarian.

Luna is pushing an "all according to plan" line here that I'm not sure I fully believe.

Dearest Pinkie Pie --

Oh no, but also oh yes.

"I have given instructions, Twilight, that in the event that I do not return after the solstice, you will succeed me as Princess of Equestria."

Okay, that's jumping the gun by quite a large margin. Twilight hasn't defeated Nightmare Moon yet, or Discord, or foiled the invasion, or Sombra, or completed an incomplete spell, or Tirek, or Sombra again, or had that final battle yet.
You're just gonna give her the Equestrian Princess-ship without all that character growth and proof of her abilities? Whaaat.

10224731

"If it should turn out," Celestia interrupted, "that Princess Cadance is the right choice to lead the nation, that is all well and good. But somepony will need to make that call. A pony on the spot, who understands what's at stake, and knows what must be done. And it is my belief -- and Cadance's, as well -- that that pony should be you, Twilight. You will know what must be done. And you will be able to make the right decision, when the time comes."

Celestia was simply granting Twilight a level of authority commensurate with the decision(s) she was likely to have to make on behalf of the entire nation. It's not about paperwork or managing the legislature at this end of the timeline -- it's about being there for everypony, being the leader they need at the time they need it most. Which, in the end, is the main reason you need a Princess in the first place...

Dearest Pinkie Pie --

As someone who is reading through this series for the first time, I just have to say this:

OOOOOOOOOH SON!

Great ending!

Though I'm surprised Twilight didn't reveal that she knew Nightmare Moon was Luna. Also, I honestly don't mind that this Twilight be elected princess her ability to make friends than cannon Twilights makes her more than likely to fit the Princess of Friendship.

And the last few paragraphs really show how the dominoes are falling into place in the final story of this series.

I also can't wait to read how Tempest reacts to Pinkie with the letter Cheese sent implying her appearance.

10399105
Thanks, MixMassBasher! I really appreciate your detailed comments and feedback on this. Like all big finales to a lengthy and involved series, this has gotten some mixed reviews, so it's encouraging to hear that you enjoyed it. Looking forward to hearing what you think about Part II!
:twilightsmile:

I wonder what the overnight postal rates are to Ponyville?

Cheese, just step out the door of the room you're in and ask the guard stationed there to have it couriered immediately. And flying an "urgent message" flag the whole way, so nopony stops them for silly things like additional mail. :raritywink:

"As I said, there is a balance in these things. Before the Banishment, Nightmare Moon had an innate affinity with the Moon and the Stars, much as I do with the Sun. When I used the Elements of Harmony against her, she became imprisoned in her Moon, with the Stars serving as lock and key. And when that lock fails us, when the Stars finally weaken and Nightmare Moon is set free again... that balance will be reversed. And I do not know, Twilight, I honestly do not know what the effects will be. Very likely, I will become the one imprisoned... in my Sun."

only the moon. celestia is the princess of the sun and stars

10743290
Uhh... you'll have to point us to your source for that. While I calm Luna down...

"'Tis not bad enough I was imprisoned in the Moon for a millennium? Thou wouldst rob the Princess of the Night of her Stars as well? Ungrateful WHELP!..."

Anypony got a spare case of Moonpies handy?
:twilightsmile:

10743407
https://youtu.be/xB8Cg03Hy8Y
in a tweet, the creator of celestia has said that she controls the stars and the sun.
also basic logic considering the sun is a star and celestia controls that. if luna controls the stars and the moon then shed be the princess of both day and night

so yea, luna is only in control of the moon xd

10743480
If you're referring to this tweet:

Watch the episode again ---- the stars aligned in a perfect pattern that allowed her escape. And who controls the sun and the moon and the stars...? ;)

That's hardly a writer's-bible, definitive statement of affinity. It could reasonably be argued that at the time, Celestia was responsible for moving the Moon and Stars in Luna's absence. But that doesn't necessarily contradict Luna's affinity with the aspects of the Night, one of which is quite definitely the Stars (other than the Sun, the only one visible in the realm of the Day). Also, turning your own argument on its head, one might equally claim that if Celestia's affinity is to the Sun and the Stars, then she's the Princess of both Day and Night. Which kind of spoils the whole Day/Night metaphor built into the show's mythology.

On a mythological, story-telling level, I think it makes more sense for the Stars to be in Luna's court, so that's the way I play it.

Or perhaps the Stars belong to neither of them entirely -- Celestia can reveal them at Night, and hide them during the Day, and Luna can set their positions since she has the head for the math involved... but ultimately, the Stars can be appealed to by either Sister, and it so happens that as the thousandth Sun Celebration drew closer, Luna's influence was on the increase.

There's lots of room here to spin Equestrian lore in various ways, which is what makes this show so wonderfully geek-friendly. By all means, write us a story where Celestia controls the Sun and the Stars. I'm sure everypony would love it!
:twilightsmile:

10743535
it was only in lore that celestia moved the moon, never actually proven or shown. during s9 in a royal problem celestia said, and i quote "raising the moon is even easier than raising the sun!", meaning she hasnt ever touched the moon before.

also that counter arguement makes no sense. if both sisters can control whatever, then thered be no point in sun/moon themes. theyd just be the princesses of gravity or orbit or smth.

again, celestia is naturally attuned to the sun. shes the avatar of the sun, drawing power from it like a powerhouse.

luna is attuned to the moon. we have never seen her touch the stars nor the sun in canon, (the comics where she could isnt canon.) when she does raise the moon, she does so by spreading her wings and moving her hooves, moving ONLY the moon.

and it wouldnt make sense for luna to control the stars anyway, otherwise shed be the princess of the stars not the night. shed have stars in her cutiemark.

celestia, in canon, is connected to fire, light, and the cosmos/stars. celly goes by the princess of the sun because thats simply the closest star to her planet, not because thats the only heavenly body she controls. same w luna and the moon.

so no your theory doesnt work in any shape or form, it simply makes no sense and doesnt have any proof backing it up.

10936606
You're right, Tempest used the armor to cast the petrification spell, so I was speaking facetiously. I don't think the Misfortune Malachite had anything to do with it, since that only appears in the prequel comic, and was destroyed by the Storm King since he didn't want anything to do with its tainted magic -- though that would have been a cool connection, if the scriptwriters had gone with it.

Login or register to comment