• Published 21st Feb 2020
  • 3,981 Views, 102 Comments

Ring Around The Moon -- Part I - Lets Do This



A shadow descends upon Canterlot. Celestia announces the impending return of Nightmare Moon. And Twilight, Tempest, and their fellow students find there's more to being Equestria's chosen defenders than they bargained for...

  • ...
1
 102
 3,981

The Gathering Darkness

As the early days of summer slipped by, an invisible shadow fell across the royal city of Canterlot.

In the dead of night, fillies and colts awoke screaming from terrifying dreams... of being lost in dark forests, abandoned in crowds of strangers, or menaced by shadowy creatures with huge claws and sharp teeth.

Ponies with guilty consciences came awake, sweating and shivering, from terrifying dreams of being pursued, endlessly and relentlessly, by an immense dark shape with glowing eyes and glistening fangs. Honest ponies awoke from disturbing images of malfeasance by spouses, relatives, and close friends, causing them to look upon their nearest and dearest with mounting distrust and fear.

Elderly ponies had visions of chill, paralyzing, unending Night... of darkness eternal, never feeling the warmth of the Sun ever again.

Steadily, relentlessly, the unsettled and restless nights lay seige upon the day. Work suffered, tempers frayed. Leisure time became joyless and guilt-ridden. Ponies who might otherwise have spent a few minutes or an hour in idle pastimes under the warm summer sunlight felt the gnawing obligation to keep busy and get the job done, to buckle down and push through, for the sake of their loved ones... or merely their own.

Canterlot had never been a particularly religious city, yet there was a noticeable rise in attendance at vigils and observances in the name of Celestia the All-Wise, Goddess of the Sun, Moon, and Stars, the Protector Eternal. There was also a steady uptick in evening patronage at shows, balls, casinos, sporting arenas, and pubs, as nobles and commoners alike attempted vainly to party the night away.

In a local dance hall late at night, buried deep in a huge box of bunting and streamers and other party supplies, Cheese Sandwich started awake, wide-eyed, from a particularly disturbing dream.

"No one laughed..." he gasped. "Ever!"

Then he dove into the depths of the box, found Boneless, and got back to work redecorating the hall with renewed vigour.

He was determined not to be caught napping again.

------------------------------

While Twilight and her schoolmates appeared to be immune from the rising tide of unpleasant dreams, they were all too aware of the change in mood of the ponies around them.

One afternoon in particular the group was taking their usual snack break at the bakery café on Diamond Avenue. "Allow me," Trixie said archly, as the group walked in and headed for their usual table, the large one by the window. "Same as last time, everypony?" Seeing nods all round, Trixie trotted over to the counter.

And found herself facing a surly, tired-looking young colt, who eyed her star-spangled hat and cloak with narrow-eyed distrust. "Yeah?"

"We'll have our usual order, please," Trixie said airily.

"Get lost."

"Excuse me?"

"Father says we don't have to do business with ponies who associate with the Evil One."

Across the room, Tempest looked up sharply. She watched the exchange with an increasingly dark scowl on her face.

Trixie blinked, wide-eyed. "Uh, what makes you say that?"

"You're a Moon, right?" the colt demanded.

"Er... what?"

"Your name is Lulamoon?" he persisted.

"Ahem! The Grrreat and Powerful Trrrixie does go by that surname." Then she dropped the stage voice. "What about it?"

The colt frowned. "Father says Moon ponies are all in league with the Dark Mare!" he snapped. "He says you're all sworn servants of the Mare, out to corrupt honest ponies, and turn them to darkness and sin. He says that --"

The colt abruptly came to a halt, eyes wide.

Standing right behind Trixie was Tempest Shadow, tall and forbidding in her black armor, a coldly merciless look in her eye. And right behind her were two officers of the Royal Guard, whom she'd summoned from the street with a wave of a hoof, as she strode towards the counter.

"Is there some problem here?" Tempest snarled.

The colt frowned, avoiding her iron gaze. "Uh, no problem." He eyed Trixie with open contempt. "Just making it clear we don't have to do business with ponies whose beliefs we consider a bad influence."

Tempest was silent for a moment. And then her tone shifted, turning softly, languidly pleasant.

"Oh, you're absolutely right. You don't have to do business... with anypony..."

She deliberately glanced left, then right. And then her gaze casually lighted on the framed certificates hanging on the wall. "Ah!" she said. "Nice vendors licenses you have here." She scowled at the colt. "Be a real shame if anything happened to them, wouldn't it?"

"Hey! You Guards can't do that --"

Tempest's armored hoof slammed down on the counter, causing heads to turn all around the room.

"I answer directly to the Princess, kiddo!" Tempest thundered. "So you want to guess again about what I can or cannot do?"

Then her voice went back to quiet silkiness. "Now, let's just be clear here: you don't have any problem doing business with any paying customer who happens to walk into this store... do you?"

The colt stared up at Tempest's threatening glare in angry astonishment. He seemed about to object.

And then he suddenly folded, lowering his eyes. "No, ma'am. No problem."

"Good. So glad we got that sorted out. Now, we'll have our usual order. And quickly, please."

As the colt desultorily turned to collect muffins and draw sodas, Trixie sniffed, looking up at Tempest in proud haughture.

"The Great and Powerful Trixie had matters well in hoof herself, thank you very much."

Then, as the colt moved out of earshot, she suddenly dropped the act.

"But, um... thanks anyway!" she whispered meekly.

Tempest eyed her in return. Then smiled thinly.

"Don't read too much into it. I'm a team player."

She swung about and headed back to their table, nodding thankfully to the Guard ponies as she swept past them. The guards themselves stared at each other, astonished at Tempest's brazenness... and more than a little jealous besides.

After a few minutes Trixie returned to their table herself, toting the tray of muffins and sodas in her magic. And the group managed to finish their snack and return to their studies without further ado.

Yet there were other incidents, which weren't so easily brushed off.

One evening Twilight and Tempest came back to the tower room from a lengthy research binge in the library section of the Archives, and found Sunset and Moondancer seated together at the main worktable. Moondancer had her head buried in her forehooves, and Sunset had a hoof around her shoulders, quietly comforting her.

"We were at Quill and Ink," Sunset explained, "picking up an order of scroll paper, since we were running short. We walk out of the store, and this crazy, wrinkled old biddy -- she had to be somepony's great-grandmare -- takes one look at Moondancer and accuses her, flat-out, of being a sorceress, in league with Nightmare Moon, and the cause of everyone's nightmares." Sunset tossed her hooves in the air. "In like, broad daylight! In this really screechy voice, right in the middle of a crowd!"

Tempest sniffed dismissively. "Sounds like somepony just needs another cat. I wouldn't let that bother me."

"Normally, I'd agree," Sunset said. "But then I look around, and suddenly everypony is staring at us, in this really unfriendly way..."

"At me," Moondancer moaned, looking up. Her eyes were red from crying. "It's my mark," she said, managing to speak calmly despite her tears. "The Moon and the Stars? Ponies here, especially older ponies, are starting to connect it with the Nightmare again."

And then she buried her head in her hooves, sobbing. "It's just like grade school all over! Ponies hating me, because of my mark!"

Sunset shivered herself. "We managed to get out of there and back here without any trouble, but I tell you, Twilight... I was half worried they were going to come after us! With the torches and pitchforks, you know? I mean, come on! This is Canterlot! This kind of thing just doesn't happen here! It was, like -- urrh! I just can't even!" She crossed her forehooves, silently fuming.

Tempest looked at Moondancer, then at Twilight.

"Maybe," she suggested quietly, "we should ask the Guard to provide a more visible escort, for when we're out and about on errands. Little show of the armor might help to remind ponies whose side we're on."

Twilight reluctantly nodded. "Yeah, I suppose that makes sense."

"It sucks!" Sunset grumbled. "But... yeah, it makes sense, too."

------------------------------

As the presumed source of the epidemic of restless, tormented sleep became more and more inescapable, the demand for action, of any kind, became equally strident.

There was talk of banning publication or even mention of the Dark Mare's name, or anything related to her. There was talk of requiring students to sing Equestria, My Home every morning before class, as a spiritual reminder. There was talk of requiring government officials to swear oaths of loyalty to Equestria and its One True Princess. Some even called for closing Equestria's borders, though exactly how this was to be accomplished and who exactly was to be kept out were never made entirely clear.

There was even discussion about the need for establishing "safe-paddocks" for ponies with Moon-related cutie marks... just to ensure their safety and security, of course, until the current crisis was over...

None of which amounted to much, thankfully. Princess Celestia merely laughed politely when such things were tentatively remarked upon in council, and wiser heads prevailed.

There was serious debate in the legislature, however, about possibly cancelling the celebration of Nightmare Night that year. Until the Chief Minister had a vividly chilling dream of being buried at the polls. Literally. After which the proposal was quietly tabled and forgotten.

Yet the growing clamor for action, for answers, remained. And Princess Celestia decided the time had finally come to make an announcement... one she'd been delaying for far too long.

------------------------------

Silence fell in the Grand Audience Hall, as the Chief Steward rapped his staff for quiet, then called for attention to orders from the Crown.

"Citizens of Equestria," the Princess said, stern and formal, "we are aware of the disquiet in your slumbers, the resultant unrest in your daily lives. And we should like to put before you certain facts concerning the cause.

"Let us begin with the blunt, simple truth: the Mare in the Moon, Nightmare Moon... is real. She is no legend. She exists, and is the source of the disquiet you are all experiencing."

A disgruntled murmuring began to rise from the assembled nobles and commoners in the audience, until the Steward fiercely rapped his staff for silence.

"A thousand years ago," Celestia went on, "alone and unaided, I fought the Nightmare to a standstill, imprisoning her in the Moon. I had thought that imprisonment might last forever. But its end is steadily approaching us, and soon the Mare will be free once more.

"But we have not been idle in all that time. Far from it. We have long prepared for this event. And thankfully, when the time comes, Equestria shall not stand undefended."

Celestia gestured with a hoof to the line of ponies standing on the red carpet before the Throne, facing the crowd.

"By careful search of the population, and thorough education at our School, a group of ponies has been located. Ponies with the courage, ability, and magic to lead the charge against the Nightmare, to defend us all. Allow me to introduce them to you:

"Twilight Sparkle, and her second, Sunset Shimmer, two of the best and brightest of our students of magic, whose leadership and compassion are exemplary.

"Commander Tempest Shadow, the group's shield and protector, whose strength and fierce determination are unmatched.

"Starlight Glimmer, and Trixie Lulamoon, whose grasp of spellwork and ability with magic are both exceptional.

"And Moondancer, whose diligence, acumen, and expertise on the Mare is without peer.

"Unassuming they may seem," Celestia concluded, "yet these six ponies have it in them to lead us through the coming night, and see us safely to the new dawn that follows. It is our wish therefore, and our royal command, that they be shown the same respect, honor, and duty you would show to us. They shall be our shield, our sword, and -- fates willing -- our olive branch, in facing the Mare's return. So sayeth the Crown!"

"So sayeth the Crown!" the Steward repeated. And the Royal Guard ponies likewise repeated the call, their combined voices booming like cannon-fire, the length of the hall.

In the stillness that followed, Celestia gazed around at her subjects.

"Further details will be provided in due course. But for now, we are pleased to entertain any immediate questions you may have..."

------------------------------

Long afterward, the hour fast approaching sunset, Celestia returned to her quarters. She ordered the guards out, swept the doors shut with her magic, cast a silencing spell around the entire suite...

... and then screamed, loudly and repeatedly, at length.

When she'd finally run herself down, Princess Cadance smiled at her. "Feeling better, Auntie?"

"A little." Celestia levitated over a pitcher of water and gulped large swallows to soothe her throat. "But did you hear them, Cadance? The fate of Equestria itself hangs in the balance, and all they can do is mutter not-so-veiled hints about how their favored son or daughter, who is so obviously better qualified, would have been a far better choice."

Cadance nodded. "It's difficult to deal with big threats, since they happen so rarely. Little slights are what ponies are used to. So it's what they fall back on to cope."

"And Twilight and the others... I felt horrible for them, Cadance! Having to stand there listening, as the research mages implicitly questioned their knowledge and ability. I would have thought their demonstration would have settled any doubt. But it's as if nopony was paying attention that day."

"Twilight gave as good as she got," Cadance said proudly. "She's tougher than she looks, especially when the topic is magic." Then she grinned. "And when that reporter asked why I wasn't one of those chosen... I really liked your answer, Auntie! I am a peacemaker, not a warrior. Best I'd be able to do is talk Luna to death!"

"One should never send a Princess of Love to make war, I think is what I said," Celestia replied with a smile.

"And Twilight and her friends," Cadance went on, "they're so much more experienced in magic and spellwork than I am. They're far more capable and qualified. You made the right choice, Auntie, even if no one else sees it."

"Thank you, Cadance. I'm pleased you take it that way."

"Of course! And it was nice, wasn't it, when the commoners gave them a rousing three cheers at the end? Oh, just try and tell me you had nothing to do with that, Auntie!"

"Nothing at all," Celestia said honestly, smiling at the memory. "In a crisis, the working ponies have a need for heroes. And we provided some. Thankfully, Twilight and the others appear to have won them over already."

"So! There's really nothing left to do," Cadance summed up. "Just finish the preparations for the Sun Celebration, and then, well... we'll see if we have something to celebrate after all, hmm?"

Celestia fell silent. Turning, she crossed to her balcony. Lighting her horn and lifting a hoof, she easily lowered the Sun below the horizon.

And then with a sigh, she gritted her teeth, and forcibly lofted the Moon into place. Its Mare shadow seemed to glare down at her, baleful and proud.

"Fewer and fewer left, Cadance," Celestia murmured. "And soon enough, it will be the last time."

Cadance came forward to stand beside her, leaning companionably against her. "Come on, Auntie! You believe in Twilight and her friends. It won't be the last."

"I hope it won't, Niece. I truly do."

The two of them were silent for a long while, gazing up at the moon.

"You still haven't told them," Cadance began, "about Luna being your --"

"I don't plan to," Celestia interrupted sharply. "As I said, I don't want their hooves tied out of concern for me. They need to feel free to act, to do... whatever needs to be done."

"Another reason I wasn't one of those chosen?" Cadance asked. "I care too much... and I know too much?"

Celestia looked at her. "I'm glad you know, Cadance. I'm glad there's at least one pony I can talk to openly about this."

"I just wish you could talk to Twilight," Cadance said. "If she knew how much it mattered, she might think of a way..."

"I said no, Cadance." Celestia replied firmly. "And that is an end of it!"

Startled, Cadance nodded, and fell silent.

Celestia grimaced. "I'm sorry... I didn't mean to be so sharp."

"It's okay. I know how much it means to you."

Celestia sighed, and then she stared up at the Moon again.

"I want her back, Cadance. Dearly, more than anything. It would be so easy to forget everything else in the face of that. But I cannot be selfish. If I must ask Twilight to act in my stead, I must give her complete freedom to do as she sees fit... whatever the outcome."

"Of course, Auntie," Cadance replied. "And we'll all support her... whatever happens." Then she reached up to put a hoof on the larger alicorn's shoulder.

"She adores you, you know. You're far more to her than just her mentor."

"I know." Celestia's eyes glistened. "And that, Niece, is why I have to let Twilight face this on her own..."

------------------------------

Following Princess Celestia's startling announcement, the change in attitude towards Twilight's group was both immediate and unnerving.

Tempest noticed it first, early the next morning, when she trotted down the tower stairs to check on the palace guards stationed nearby.

She'd made a kind of game of it. The guards tended to position themselves somewhere obvious and visible, such as a doorway, or up on a balcony or other platform, where they could be seen at a distance by any potential troublemakers, and could see as much as possible themselves without having to move around a lot. Which often meant that Tempest would come across a guard, usually a junior sub-lieutenant, standing in one place, glassy-eyed, half-asleep on his or her hooves.

She'd sneak up behind said guard and then cough loudly, or rap an armored hoof. The reaction was invariably entertaining. And the guards were fast becoming convinced Tempest had the ability to materialize out of thin air, despite her broken horn.

Tempest also made use of her nominal authority to rearrange the guards, reposting them in unconventional locations that made more sense to her: out of the way corners, and other hiding places where they would be concealed, though not conspicuously so. Where they'd pass unnoticed, save at the last possible and least convenient moment... exactly where Tempest herself would not have wanted to come across them.

So far it seemed to be working: the guards had begun to get the message, staying alert and periodically shifting around of their own accord. Tempest felt she was making progress in shaping some of the younger, less-experienced soldiers into a force that could be relied upon. And she'd also begun to feel like she actually knew what she was doing, even as she made it all up as she went along -- almost as if she actually deserved her unusual, and extremely powerful, rank.

But this morning, things were different. Very different. There were no junior officers anywhere near the tower, only seasoned and competent senior Guard ponies, the kind who missed nothing, didn't need to be told where to wait and what to watch for, or how to challenge a potential intruder. The kind who'd always put Tempest on edge, making her feel unsure of herself, uncertain what they knew about her.

The worst part of it was, whenever she approached them the guards would snap to attention and salute, without the slightest sign of hesitation or irony. You are the pony in charge, their attitude said. It was clear they would treat the merest request from her, let alone an order, as a matter of life and death.

Tempest fell back on her usual calm, aloof attitude, nodding minutely to the guards as she passed them. She made her usual circuit around the quad, and then through the Library Annex building, feeling less and less sure of herself with every step. She was inexpressibly relieved when she was finally able to retreat up the stairs to the tower room. She hadn't felt so out of place since the day she'd first arrived at the School.

Starlight and Trixie noticed the difference too, after breakfast, as they strolled along Diamond Avenue in search of a replacement for a stretch of carpeting that had fallen victim to Starlight's attempt to teach Trixie basic potion-making.

They could hardly avoid noticing it, in fact. Wherever they went, shopkeepers and window-cleaners and post-ponies, working-class ponies of every stripe, would stop whatever they were doing and bow respectfully. Starlight kept wanting to turn and look over her shoulder, to see who was passing by behind them.

And later, when the two of them went down to the grassy quad in front of the tower so that Starlight could help Trixie practice self-levitation, they quickly noticed a small crowd of ponies gathering around the edges of the grassy lawn. The impromptu audience applauded and cheered at the least provocation, and it totally screwed up Trixie's focus. She kept wanting to play to the crowd, give them a show, when what she really needed to do was keep her mind on the levitation spell so she didn't wind up pancaking on the grass.

"Okay..." Trixie said at one point, glancing around uneasily, "the Great and Powerful Trixie is feeling freaked out by a raptly attentive audience. What is wrong with this picture, Starlight?"

Sunset and Moondancer noticed it too, when they visited the stationers for a box of quills and a bottle of enchanted ink. Their simple request was treated with all the urgency and solemnity of an estate partitioning, or an investiture of title.

"Is there anything else we can do for you today, Miss Shimmer?" the shopkeeper asked. There was a disquieting nervousness in his voice, almost as if he feared for his job if he wasn't able to satisfy the group's needs in the slightest way.

"Uhh, nope!" Sunset reassured him. "We're good! Thanks so much!"

"Oh! It's our pleasure, ma'am! Please, come again!"

Sunset and Moondancer eyed each other as they walked out into the street. "Is it just me?" Moondancer asked. "Or are we being treated like seriously important ponies all of a sudden?"

"No kidding!" Sunset nodded. "Walking on water would be a step down, I think."

And when the entire group visited the bakery for their regular snack break that afternoon, they found their usual order was already awaiting them at the large table by the window, which was completely unoccupied, despite how crowded the shop was otherwise. And all the way there, and all the way back, they felt everypony's eyes on them, eager and excited -- like it was a parade, and the watching ponies were all inches away from breaking into cheers and applause.

All in all, it was more than a little disconcerting.

And none of them felt it more than Twilight herself.

As she wandered among the stacks in the Archives, with Spike trotting along beside her to take notes and Tempest following closely keeping an eye on them both, Twilight could almost feel the head librarians hovering tensely nearby, just out of sight, ready to leap to her aid at the slightest hint.

Whenever she visited a shop, or even just strolled round the School grounds or along the city streets, working out a problem in her head, she found herself unexpectedly faced with excited and curious ponies, who wanted to ask a question, or wish her luck, or just say how proud they were of her.

And Twilight found it very hard to say no.

"Just say the word, Twilight," Tempest whispered at one point. "I'll fend them off for you, keep them from hassling you."

"No, Tempest," Twilight said. "We can't do that. You heard Celestia: we're the ponies she's chosen to face Nightmare Moon. So now everypony is counting on us. We need to be there for them, give them confidence, reassure them we know what to do..."

She sighed anxiously. "If only I could reassure myself..."

------------------------------

The next morning the group were all gathered around the main worktable in the tower room after breakfast, quizzing each other back and forth on spell construction, in lieu of the classes they were no longer required to attend.

Spike suddenly looked nauseous, and then belched loudly, producing a message scroll. "Woah..." he said, as he read through it. "Princess Celestia says we should expect an important visitor... and I leave it to you, she says, to decide how you choose to respond to their request..."

"Well," Starlight observed, "that's certainly... cryptic."

Twilight nodded. "Any hint who it might be, Spike?"

"Nothin'!" He turned the scroll around to check both sides of it. "That's all she wrote!"

Just then there was an apologetic cough behind them, from the stairs leading up from the entry doors. It was one of the pair of guard ponies who'd been assigned to stand watch at the base of the tower. "Excuse me, Commander? He said he was expected."

Tempest merely nodded in acknowledgement. But Twilight stared wide-eyed at the drab-robed, white-haired mage standing beside the guard. The elderly, stoop-shouldered pony had a disarmingly pleasant, unassuming smile... plus a blue-eyed gaze sharp enough to cut plate steel.

"Please pardon the interruption, Miss Sparkle," he said. "I hope I haven't come at a bad time?"

"Oh, not at all, sir!" Twilight replied nervously and humbly. "Um... what can we do for you?"

"I merely wished to stop by and express my apologies for my staff's behavior the other day. At Celestia's announcement? I hope we didn't leave you with the impression the Research Division is not one hundred percent supportive of your team's efforts."

Tempest eyed him narrowly. "Oh, I don't know how anypony could get that idea," she muttered sourly. "You only cast doubt on her experience, skill, and maturity... nothing at all, really!"

"Tempest..." Twilight warned. Reluctantly the Commander fell silent, though she still scowled darkly.

"No, no," the elderly mage replied, waving a hoof. "The Commander is quite right. We were a little... uncharitable in our questioning, in the heat of the moment. To show you that's not how we meant it, I wanted to come by personally and invite you, Twilight, to honor us with a lecture on your team's project. The Field of Harmony, I believe it's called?"

"Wow!" Twilight gulped. "Umm, sure! I'd be glad to! Er... when were you thinking of having it?"

"Oh, it's an open invitation, to be sure!" He waved a hoof reassuringly. "Whenever you're able to spare us the time, Miss Sparkle. Just give us a heads-up, we'll make ourselves available to you."

Twilight was beyond stunned. Yet she managed to keep her mouth moving.

"I'll... throw my notes together... and... let you know. All right?"

"Perfect! We'll look forward to it," he replied. "Well, that's really all I came by to say, so I won't take up any more of your time. I know you and your group have a lot on your plate, and I'll let you get back to it. Thanks so much for your time, Miss Sparkle!"

Turning, he departed as quietly as he'd arrived, ambling back down the staircase with the guard accompanying him.

The ponies at the table all stared at each other, in dead silence.

"Was that...?" Moondancer finally said.

Sunset nodded. "Thaumic Theory. Head of the Research Division."

"Woah!" Starlight's mouth hung open. "They say he almost never leaves the Archives. He sends his assistants to conferences to take notes for him."

"And he came all the way up here," Sunset said, "just to ask you to give them a guest lecture." She grinned. "Color me jealous, Twilight!"

"Yeah!" Spike punched the air. "Way to go, Twi!"

Twilight nodded. "Uh, yeah. It's... great..."

"What's wrong?" Tempest asked.

"Nothing!" Twilight waved her hooves agitatedly. "Nothing at all! Presenting a guest lecture at the Archives, for the Research Division... it's a huge honor. It's something I've dreamed about all my life!" She sighed, gritting her teeth. "And it's something that normally happens when you're a lot older. It's supposed to be like, the crowning achievement of a lifetime's work in study and research."

"So you're jumping the gun a bit!" Trixie shrugged, waving a hoof. "That's pretty much par for the course for you, Twilight."

"Maybe... but I'm still not sure I deserve this. Or if i'm ready for it!" Twilight glanced around the table at her friends. "But even if I'm not, I'm not going to let all of you down here. And I'm certainly not going to take credit for the hard work you've done. This is a group project, and we've all contributed." She looked around, uneasily. "So could I, maybe... ask all of you to help me prepare?"

"You kidding, Twilight?" Sunset laughed. "Try and stop us!"

"We're with you, Twilight!" Moondancer said.

"Absolutely," Starlight agreed.

The others nodded as well, and Twilight smiled thankfully at them all.

------------------------------

And even that wasn't the end of it. Over the next few days, whenever Twilight and her friends were out and about as a group, on errands in Canterlot, or visiting the Archives, or even just taking a break to go kite-flying in the park, they noticed that the previously aloof noble ponies of the city had begun nodding approvingly at them, and whispering proudly and loftily to each other, as if they'd personally had something to do with it. They eyed Twilight in particular with interested speculation, chattering amongst themselves excitedly.

It was more than a little worrying... almost as if the nobles were all in on some big secret that Twilight and her friends weren't.

And then there came the invitation, hoof-delivered by liveried messenger, asking Twilight and her team to attend a reception in their honor, hosted by some of the city's leading notables. A quick inquiry sent to Celestia produced the reply that yes, she was aware of it... and that she herself would not be in attendance.

This is your night to shine, her reply said. And I would not wish to be a distraction from that. Just put your best hooves forward, and know that as always I am extremely proud of you.

Not certain what to make of it, the group made a hurried visit to a local Canterlot boutique, to be measured and fitted with suitable formal wear for the occasion. And when they returned for the final fitting the next morning, the results were frankly astonishing.

Twilight's dress was an elegant gown of evening hues, shading from dusky orange to star-dusted purple. Sunset's was fiery orange and crimson silk, to match her mane. Starlight had a dress of light blue hues to match her magic, while Trixie's was an upscale version of her magician's hat and cape, done in fine, shimmering purple satin. And Moondancer... wore basic black, by her own request, though she did allow the seamstress doing the fittings to accent it with fine silver stitching along the hem.

Tempest had temporarily traded her battle-mage armor for a suit of gold-plated Royal Guard dress armor. She'd had Grubber polish it until it shone. It was like wearing a flawless, shimmering gilded mirror.

And she kept eyeing it uncomfortably. "This definitely isn't my color," she muttered, shaking her head. "Maybe this isn't the right choice."

"You look fine, Tempest," Twilight reassured her.

"No she doesn't," Trixie muttered.

"Excuse me?" Tempest said, giving Trixie a sharp look.

Trixie crossed her forehooves. "Look, you are supposed to be a Commander in Her Highness's Royal Guard, right?"

Tempest shook her head. "I'm still not even sure what that means."

"Nopony knows what it means!" Trixie shot back. "So use that! You are Great and Powerful, and you answer to nopony! Trust a showpony on this!" She pointed a hoof at Tempest. "There is one performer on the stage, so make sure everypony knows that it's you!"

Tempest considered it. Then she nodded, and drew herself up, tall and proud, with just a hint of her usual cold disdain.

"Better!" Trixie nodded approvingly. "Now I'm getting it!"

Tempest snorted in amusement. "Thanks."

------------------------------

Suitably attired, they nervously made their way up to the Palace that evening, to the Grand Gala Ballroom itself.

"I thought the upper-crust ponies hated us," Starlight fretted tensely, as they stood waiting in the anteroom before the doors leading into the Ballroom proper. "So tell me again, why are they suddenly throwing this big get-together, just for us?"

"Maybe they felt bad," Moondancer suggested, "like the research mages? And wanted to apologize?"

"Hah!" Trixie smirked. "More likely they simply realized the error of their ways, and wanted to correct the mistake. But never let it be said that the Great and Powerful Trixie cannot forgive and forget!" She pouted archly. "Though an apology is probably in order, too."

"It's like Celestia said," Sunset reminded them. "This is our chance to shine. It's our intro to high society, a meet-and-greet with the movers and shakers of Equestria." She grinned uneasily. "Of course, I say that as if I'm not quivering in my shoes myself!"

"Well, I've never been to one of these!" If Starlight hadn't been wearing dress shoes, she'd have been gnawing her hooves in nervousness. "What am I supposed to do? Where do I stand? What do I say? And would somepony please tell me my name? I think it's slipped my mind again."

Sunset grinned reassuringly. "Don't worry, Starlight. I've been to a few of these myself, back when I was being shown off as Celestia's new student. Just relax and be yourself. And if you don't feel like carrying the conversation, you won't have to. If there's one thing these ponies appreciate, it's a good listener. Ohhh yeah!" She rolled her eyes. "They'll talk your ears off, given half a chance!"

Then Sunset looked at Twilight, who was staring straight at the doors in front of them intensely, as if working out the answer to a complicated exam problem. "What are you nervous about, Twilight? You've been to these before with Celestia, right?"

"That's just it," Twilight said. "The Princess was always here with me, watching out for me. She led the conversation, because she knew just what to say, and who to say it to. I didn't have to do anything really. Just be ready to answer any questions the guests might ask. And to be honest, there weren't a lot of those. They were all more interested in talking with Celestia."

"Yeah, I hear you. " Sunset nodded. "I got a lot of that too. I think that's exactly why the Princess isn't here. She didn't want ponies focusing on her, when this is supposed to be about us. Which... basically means we have to step up and be the big ponies for once." She grinned, and lightly punched Twilight's shoulder. "Don't worry about it, Twilight... we'll just be nervous wrecks together!"

Twilight smiled at that. And then she looked to her right.

"How are you doing, Moondancer?"

Moondancer took a steadying breath. "I'm actually fine, Twilight. I'm here, with all of you -- all of my friends. I'm not alone anymore! It just doesn't get any better than this!"

The left ballroom door opened partway, and Spike and Grubber slipped through. The two of them were dressed in matching formal coats and bow ties. On Spike the outfit looked endearingly debonair. On Grubber, it merely made him look like a miniature enforcer.

"Everypony ready?" Spike asked. "Looks like they're ready for us in there."

Twilight looked around at her friends, then nodded. "We're ready, Spike!"

With a fanfare of horns, the doors swung open and the group paraded in, moving quickly to the center of the ballroom... and the center of attention.

"Ah, here she is! The pony of the hour! Twilight Sparkle!" A large, matronly cyan mare in a stunning red dress strode forward. She bowed respectfully to Twilight.

Twilight stared back at her in surprise. "Oh! Please excuse me... you are...?"

"Joan Pommelway, my dear! And it's such a honor meeting you, Twilight... may I call you Twilight? And, of course, your fellow students as well!" She smiled grandly at them all, though it was clear that Twilight was her main focus. "Now," she went on, "we know all of you, from the Princess's unforgettably moving announcement. But allow me to make introductions for the notables we have with us tonight. Now, first and foremost, we have Canterlot's pony of ponies, the eminent Fancy Pants, who I'm sure you must know!"

The monacled, mustachioed stallion gave a minute, barely percepible nod. "So dashed charmed to make your acquaintance, Miss Sparkle!" Beside him, the supermodel Fleur De Lis tossed her magenta mane, and dimpled pleasantly.

"And," Pommelway went on, "here we have..."

"Jet Set!" The dark-maned, cardiganed pony gave a sharp bow. "A real honor meeting you, Twilight! Can't tell you what a pleasure this is. And this is my wife, Upper Crust." He gestured to the olive-coated mare beside him, who beamed radiantly.

"And, let us not forget," Pommelway interjected, firmly snatching back the initiative, "our master of ceremonies for the evening, the King of Fashion himself... Hoity Toity!"

"Oh, I can't tell you what an honor this is," the dapper, sunglass-wearing pony languidly enthused. "Simply beyond words, Miss Sparkle!"

"Oh!" Twilight said, "Well, the honor is all mi--"

"And Fashion Plate," Pommelway went on, gesturing with a hoof. "The well-known editor of Cosmare magazine. And we're fortunate to have with us a fellow Manehattan-ite, Prim Hemline, the premier fashion critic!"

The ponies she'd named smiled and nodded.

But Pommelway wasn't done yet, not even close. "And Blue Belle, of course," she said, "and Old Money, and Mare E. Lynn, and..." The torrent of names and faces went on, seemingly without end. Twilight quickly gave up even trying to remember them all. It seemed like the entire upper class of Canterlot, plus a goodly number from Manehattan, had all turned out to greet her personally.

"But come now!" Joan Pommelway finally said. "Please don't let us monopolize the conversation, my dears. This celebration is all about you! Please, mingle! Make yourselves at home. And tell us more about yourselves!"

"Buddy system," Tempest reminded them in a sharp whisper, and the six ponies quickly paired up as they'd planned: Starlight with Trixie, Sunset with Moondancer, and Tempest accompanying Twilight, as they split up and circulated around the hall.

"Now Twilight," said Pommelway, who seemed determined to be Twilight's personal social manager for the occasion, "tell us a little about the work you've been doing at the School. This Field of Harmony you've been working on. It sounds fascinating!"

"Oh!" Twilight grinned. "Well, it's really a team effort. You see, Trixie discovered a method for splitting and refracting magic energy, and Moondancer gave us some ideas about creating a crystal lattice, and Sunset --"

"By the way, my dear," Pommelway suddenly interrupted, "I just wanted to mention that is a simply stunning outfit you have on!"

"Uh... well, thanks! It's just something I picked out for the evening. Now, you see, the Field itself is a bit of a paradox, in that it uses a self-stabilizing spectrum of magic in order to suppress directed magic in a given area, so that --"

"And who does your mane, my dear! It's quite stylish!"

Twilight blinked. "Uh... I did it myself, actually. I'm not all that fussy about how I look. Anyway, are you familiar at all with Star Swirl's theory of transmission differentials in magic spectra?"

"Mmm..." Pommelway shook her head. "Can't say that I am. Oh, well, I was never really much good at magic, when I was at school -- ha ha! Earth pony, you know! Nowhere near your standards, my dear. But do go on, please!"

Twilight paused, her mouth open, momentarily stymied for where to take the conversation next. And Pommelway, instinctively seeing an opening, leapt right in.

"By the way, Twilight -- what is your opinion on the tax rate nowadays?"

"Err..."

"You know, Fancy Pants was saying, just the other day..." And Pommelway drove straight on, at length and in some detail, reporting opinions on the subject from seemingly every single pony she knew.

Twilight just stared at her, utterly at a loss. She'd rarely experienced having the conversation so smoothly yanked out from under her. It was like going for a walk and discovering the ground wasn't there.

Around the room, the others were running into similar issues.

"... so it turns out," Starlight concluded, "that recursive construction actually does make the spell roll-up more concise. So long as you're okay with working with infinite sequences, of course!"

"Of course..." Jet Set echoed hollowly. "I guess that makes sense..."

Trixie sighed, in a long-suffering fashion, and put a hoof around Starlight's shoulders. "My Great and Powerful assistant," she said proudly, "handles the technical aspects of magic with aplomb, as you can tell. But for the broad strokes, suitable for the laypony, you really need an expert in showponyship... such as moi! Observe!"

Trixie waved a forehoof grandly, then made several mystic passes. Then she suddenly clapped her hooves together... and there was a large crimson focus gemstone resting on her left hoof.

"Voila!" she called proudly, with a wave of the other hoof.

"Oh my word, darling!" Upper Crust laughed, nudging Jet Set. "Isn't that just precious! So charming, really! Just like in vaudeville, don't you think?"

"Absolutely!" Jet Set agreed readily. "It's become quite the rage again, hasn't it? Best evening's diversion money can buy. Though in my opinion, one can't top the Karamazhoof Brothers. Those ponies can juggle anything. A trifle common perhaps, but nonetheless quite entertaining, really..."

Trixie's face had gone slack and wide-eyed in disbelief. Then her eyes narrowed, her expression turned dark and explosively angry. She opened her mouth, ready to shout...

And Starlight quickly slapped a hoof over it. "Would you excuse us, please?" she said. "We'll just be a moment."

She swiftly bundled Trixie off to the relative privacy of the refreshments table before the showpony could explode. "Simmer down, Trixie..." Starlight warned. "They didn't mean it as an insult."

"Vaudeville, Starlight?" Trixie snarled. "Vaudeville? The Grrreat and Powerful Trrrixie," she said loftily, "has never had to stoop to vaudeville. Trixie is a one-pony show, and she likes it that way!"

"I know, Trixie! I know!"

"Grrr! Why haven't you taught me transfiguration yet?" Trixie snapped, glaring narrowly at the still laughing nobles. "Just one frog spell, Starlight, just one! And you can't say they don't deserve it!"

"That's why we haven't started you on transfiguration yet," Starlight gently chided her. "It's far too easy to get carried away and let things get out of hoof." She sighed. "And then suddenly, everything you look at turns into a chocolate bar."

Trixie looked at her, startled. "Really?"

"Oh yeah! If there was anything I loved more than playing Dragon Pit, it was chocolate! Buuuut... we've learned to control those impulses. Mostly." She grinned sheepishly, and Trixie stared at her.

And then the two of them were suddenly giggling uncontrollably together.

On the other side of the room, Sunset and Moondancer were talking with Fancy Pants and Hoity Toity -- though "talking" was putting it advisedly. They actually hadn't been able to get a word in edgeways.

"And I feel certain," Fancy Pants was saying, "that Miss Twilight must keep all of you gels to a pretty strict schedule, what? I mean, given the progress your group has made thus far!"

"Oh, there's no doubt about that," Hoity Toity smoothly agreed. "I understand their little demo made quite the splash amongst ponies in-the-know... you know?"

The two of them chuckled agreeably together.

"Well, actually," Moondancer said, "Twilight doesn't have to --"

"Now here's something I've been wondering," Hoity Toity interrupted. It wasn't clear whether he'd even noticed Moondancer speaking. "That gown Twilight's wearing... is it the cutting edge of some new fashion trend we're going to be seeing a lot of pretty soon? I mean, she is quite the forward-thinking pony, eh?"

"Uhh..." Sunset recalled how little attention Twilight had paid during the fitting. "I think she's wearing it... because she's okay with it?"

"Oh, rather!" Fancy Pants nodded. "Clearly a decisive young lady, that one! She knows what's best for us, that's clear!"

"Couldn't agree more," Hoity Toity replied.

And the two of them went on like that, indirectly answering each other's questions, leaving no room for anyone else to speak. It was like listening to a play-by-play commentary on a hoofball match... from the sidelines. Sunset and Moondancer glanced at each other uneasily.

"Do you think," Sunset whispered, "if we just walked away, they'd even notice?"

And so it went on, for well over an hour. A seemingly endless swirl of nobles, fashion ponies, famous actors, and other well-to-do names and faces arrived, were seen, chatted for a while, then swept off in lofty spirits.

The effect on Twilight was the exact opposite. Her initial eager, proud confidence faded to a wooden mask of polite attentiveness. Which was not lost on Tempest. After listening in increasing frustration to a particularly long-winded poet speaking loftily about setting the group's efforts in blank verse -- "at least twenty stanzas, I can see it my mind's eye!" -- Tempest suddenly coughed loudly, and then ostentatiously stepped in the way.

"Riveting as this is," she said dryly, "would you excuse us, please? I think we're being paged over there."

She quickly escorted Twilight across the room, to where the other four ponies had already gathered themselves in a kind of defensive huddle. "Trixie," Tempest suggested languidly, "isn't there a practice session we need to be at right now?"

The showpony quickly took the hint. "Indeed!" She spread her forehooves, calling out to the crowd of guests around them. "Ladies and gentleponies! We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for such a grand welcome into such lofty company. Unfortunately, the pressure of work calls, and we must bid you a fond and reluctant adieu!"

She lofted a hoof. "Behold! The magician's exit!"

She swept the hoof down. There was an explosion and a cloud of choking, obscuring smoke. When it cleared, the group had disappeared utterly... though there was a path of reeling nobles and other guests, cutting through the crowd, heading for the doors that led to the patio and the royal gardens beyond.

------------------------------

Outside, the ponies quickly re-grouped in the shelter of a handy gazebo. And Twilight finally was able to let out the tense breath she'd been holding in.

"Thanks, Tempest, for getting us out of that."

"No problem," Tempest replied. "But I thought you liked being the center of attention, Twilight?"

"Yeah, when the topic is magic!" Twilight rolled her eyes. "I don't get half the conversations in there! I kept trying to discuss our project, and they kept complimenting me on my dress and asking what I thought of politics and the tax code! I mean, what does that have to do with saving Equestria from Nightmare Moon?"

Tempest snorted. "They're sucking up to you."

"What?" Twilight goggled.

"Oh, yeah," Tempest laughed humorlessly. "I've seen it before. You're the new big shot in town. The pony in charge of our little group, the Princess's declared champions? Which... as good as makes you royalty yourself, by association. The nobles are just making sure to get in on the ground floor with you. Making sure you know who your 'friends' are here."

Twilight made a face. "That is so cynical."

"It's practical," Tempest replied flatly. "And cynical," she allowed.

Twilight shook her head. "I don't believe this. All my life I've dreamed of going to a grand ball like this... being surrounded by society ponies, talking to them about everything I've read, everything I know... about magic!" She sighed. "But Shiny was right, these ponies don't know the first thing about magic!"

"Hey, big surprise!" Sunset nodded. "It was bad enough back when I was being introduced as Celestia's new protégé. I think it's actually gotten worse! And don't get me wrong, I love being popular... for something I'm actually good at." She rolled her eyes. "But there's only so much of this oh-my-dear-you-must-come-and-be-seen-at-my-garden-party that I can take, before I just completely lose it!"

"And you were right about them liking to talk," Starlight said. "My ears feel numb! How can ponies go on at such length about absolutely nothing at all? I feel like I need to go work on a tough spell or two, just to get my brain working again."

"Hmph!" Trixie pouted. "And they didn't respect the Great and Powerful Trixie at all! I try to lighten the moment with a little sleight-of-hoof? And they laugh and say it's oh-so-charming... so vaudeville, my dear..." She growled under her breath. "I still say you should have let me turn them into frogs, Starlight!"

"What about you, Moondancer?" Sunset asked. "What did you think?"

Moondancer shrugged.

"The best thing I can say is that they weren't making comments about my mark. And I'm not sure if that's a good thing... or just really, really sad!"

The six ponies all stared at each other. It was pretty clear what the consensus was.

"Hey, there you all are!" Spike said, looking in through the gazebo doorway, with Grubber right behind him.

Twilight winced. "Oh, Spike! Are they mad at us? For ditching the party so early?"

"You kiddin' me?" Grubber waved a paw. "Heh! They just laughed and said it was a brilliant exit. Charmingly eccentric I think is how they put it."

"And then they just kept right on going!" Spike added. "They're having a grand time in there, all by themselves."

"Oh..." Twilight's face fell. "Really?"

Sunset sniffed. "Maybe we should leave them to it."

"Maybe we should," Moondancer agreed miserably.

"Works for me!" Starlight said.

"Here, here!" Trixie said, crossing her hooves.

Twilight reluctantly nodded. "Yeah... I guess you're right."

Grubber looked up at Tempest. "Does that mean Spike and I can get outta these monkey suits, boss?"

"Yeah." Tempest nodded. "And the same goes for the rest of us. Enough with the high society silliness. We're the Advanced Projects group... so let's get back to what we're really good at here..."

"... saving Equestria," Twilight agreed, nodding.