• Published 20th Aug 2012
  • 22,179 Views, 1,876 Comments

Spike's Rainbow Dash - FamousLastWords



Spike and Rainbow Dash take part in a game of love.

  • ...
63
 1,876
 22,179

Bring It On

Tell me, how should one continue a story like this? Ponyville’s citizens enjoyed yet another day filled with serenity and uninterrupted harmony? Well, that’s definitely not true. Sure, everypony desired to remain at peace within the very bounds of their refuge, but today wasn’t particularly the day to depend on such expectations. Why? To put it simply: things went down. Big things.

The obvious reason as to why Ponyville would not experience such an easygoing pass of the day certainly weighed upon two individuals. Spike and Rainbow Dash were the direct cause for the future lack of understood coherence. Because these big things were going to lead to quite a ruckus. Discordance and incoordination would soon overwhelm the days to come, and I must be forthright in confirming the hilarity of it all.

Spike and Rainbow Dash were friends. That’s already been agreed upon. Although, it was this very same friendship that rocked Equestria like no other predecessor had done before. Forget Nightmare Moon. Don’t even pay mind to Discord. Who’s Chrysalis again? Spike and Rainbow Dash’s bet was about to take the world by storm.

And trust me; it was a sight to behold.

Spike's Rainbow Dash

“What just happened, Spike? Rainbow Dash just freaked!” Snips jumped to emphasize his point. “Did you do something to her?”

“Don’t ask me what came over that crazy pony.” Spike dismissed the question with the roll of his eyes. “Dash just says stuff without thinking sometimes. I bet you she’s already regretting being so haughty earlier.”

“Dah, I don’t know, Spike. She looked kind of serious to me,” Snails mumbled uncertainly. “So what are you going to do now?”

“Yeah, what’s next in this challenge? How are you going to win?”

Spike felt a smirk tug at the corner of his mouth. What were Snips and Snails going on about now? Were they really questioning how Spike planned to ensure a victory in this game of love? He truly believed his friends knew him better. He thought even these two colts could guess what he would do in this situation. It didn't take a scholar to predict the following line of action for this particular farce.

“Nothing. Absolutely nothing,” Spike answered confidently.

“Nothing?” Snips and Snails repeated simultaneously, turning to each other with quizzical expressions.

After Rainbow Dash had vanished above the clouds, Spike, Snips and Snails had been left behind at the table near the Farmer’s Market. Rendered mute and utterly befuddled, the three had decided to take a walk around Ponyville to clear their heads. Rainbow Dash suddenly challenging Spike to a battle of romance seemed too fictional an affair to even be taken seriously.

What exactly had just happened? Random was the only word valid enough for Spike to accept. Beyond random Spike could not comprehend the pegasus’ actions. Nonetheless, Spike was determined to not concentrate on Rainbow Dash’s behavior. Rainbow Dash was just being Rainbow Dash, right?

“Always filled with surprises, eh, Dash?” Spike muttered to himself, shaking his head slowly.

Meanwhile, Rainbow Dash soared through the blue skies of Ponyville at an exhilarating speed. Faster, faster, faster. More speed. More. She rocketed forward, a faint rainbow trail following closely behind. She needed to go faster. She craved the endless sky before her. The wind resistance pulling at her face grew more forceful. The tight grip of the firmament attempting to slow her down was no match for the flying ace. She breathed in softly and continued to swiftly shoot ahead.

Where was it? That special patch of cloud she loved to rest upon, where was it? She knew it was near, and at every passing second her longing for the cloud grew exponentially.

Ah, there it was!

Rainbow Dash instantly slowed to a halt. She had finally found the bit of white fluff she was searching for. The floating haven never failed to relax her. It was like her second home. Oftentimes Rainbow Dash snoozed atop this specific cloud. She actually ended up naming it McCloud. She didn’t know why she enjoyed this cloud more than others, and she didn’t really care to know. She just wanted to lie and let go.

Rainbow Dash flopped onto the cloud, exhaling heavily. “Oh, McCloud, what have I gotten myself into this time?”

Rainbow Dash stared up at the expansive sky. Her mind raced and played back her declaration to earn Spike’s affections. What had she been thinking? That was actually it. She hadn't been thinking. How was she going to make Spike fall in love with her? She couldn’t even see the first step to victory.

Feeling discouraged, Rainbow Dash closed her eyes and sighed. “What now? I can’t just say I was kidding. I’ll look stupid in front of everypony.”

Rainbow Dash was a competitive pony. She’d known this about herself since she was just a filly, and everypony in Equestria was always made aware of that fact. Not only had she entered numerous racing competitions but she’d also taken leadership positions in athletic events. One prominent example included the Cloudsdale rainwater tornado event. She could handle opposing players in a game. Being the winner in all things was a goal embedded deep into her subconscious. However, the reality of winning at this new game with Spike was starting to make itself apparent. And she didn't know how to react.

Rainbow Dash picked herself up and frowned. “Hold on! I am a fighter! No way am I going to let Spike think I can’t be attractive! I am a mare, for crying out loud!”

Dash suddenly remembered her reason for provoking Spike in the first place. Spike had unashamedly insulted the legitimacy of her marehood. In fact, the tiny dragon had ignored it altogether. Who did he think he was, saying he would never fall for her? According to Rainbow Dash, she was a catch! Spike was too cocky for his own good. He deserved to be taught a lesson. Who better to make light of his ignorance than the star athlete of Ponyville?

Rainbow Dash licked her lips, rubbing her hooves together conspiratorially. “Oh, this is going to be too easy. You’ll get yours, Spike. Just you wait.”

The pony cackled to herself as a newfound drive for success overtook her. No matter what, she was going to win. No matter what!

But before anything else, Rainbow Dash realized that, in order to play the game expertly, she needed to make a few adjustments to her appearance. The first thing that came to mind was her hooves. Rainbow Dash held her hooves up for observation. Dirt and soot were smeared all over, and she guessed her hair didn't look any better. Disheveled and unmaintained, her mane and tail just screamed apathy. She never cared to look fashionable. She didn't have anypony to impress, after all.

“So… a makeover?” Rainbow Dash’s eyes widened in horror. “Aw, man!”

At that, Rainbow Dash bounced off McCloud and sped down back to Ponyville’s ground level. There was somepony she needed assistance from. The closer she got to her next destination the more uncomfortable she felt. She dreaded what was to come.

“Do it for the pride of your marehood!” Rainbow Dash told herself. “Do it for the glory!”

With a sharp grin, she continued on. No longer was she going to be hindered by hesitant judgments. They only got in the way. There was gold at the end of her path, and she was sure to overcome any obstacle presented.

Because, to put it plainly, Rainbow Dash had a game to win.

Ponyville’s Carousel Boutique was bustling with activity. Up-and-coming fashion designer Rarity hurriedly trotted from one end of the shop to the other. Recently her apparel business had been booming, and the entrepreneur was both joyful and overwhelmed by the amount of orders needed to be dealt with. Her precious boutique was an absolute mess; clothes of varying colors were scattered around and stray sewing utensils were left abandoned. It couldn't be helped, though, for she worked much more efficiently in this manner. Finishing up her dresses was her primary focus, and it wasn't surprising that she couldn't hear the occasional ring of an opening door.

“Rarity! I need your help!” Rainbow Dash rushed inside to find Rarity busily attending to her work. “Rarity! Hey, Rarity!”

Rarity hummed to herself as she used one of many sewing machines. That was until Rainbow Dash screamed the unicorn’s name right in her ear canal.

“Rarity!”

Jolted out of her reverie, Rarity fell forward. “Ah, Rainbow Dash! Don’t scare me like that!”

“About time you heard me.” Rainbow Dash stepped back. “You gotta help out with something.”

Rarity stood up straight and continued using the sewing machine. “Well, I apologize, Rainbow, but as you can see I am quite restricted at the moment.”

“But this is important!” Rainbow Dash urged.

“Can it wait? I've just received twelve orders for my new diamond-encrusted dresses, and the deadline is nearing.” Rarity’s horn glowed brightly.

Rainbow Dash ducked from a pair of needles heading straight for her head. “But I need you now! Trust me, everything else can wait.”

“Oh, what is it then?” Rarity turned her head to Rainbow Dash, her patience wearing thin.

Rainbow Dash stood still in silence. She couldn't believe she was actually going to say it. Was she really going to allow the words in her mind to come out of her mouth? Such an instance had never before crossed her mind.

“No hesitance!” Rainbow Dash gritted her teeth and shouted, “Rarity, I need you to give me a makeover!”

Rarity froze. “W-What?”

It’s difficult to describe Rarity’s cognitive processes after she heard the word makeover. In retrospect, one must take into account Rarity’s position and background. Here was a unicorn that lived beauty. The very essence of beauty was her breath of fresh air. A pony well-maintained was a happy pony, she’d always thought. And just being confronted by one of her closest friends for a makeover was an outright blessing. A dream! And who had just asked her to live and breathe? Rainbow Dash! One of the most unkempt ponies she’d ever known. She could not believe such an opportunity could come into existence.

Rarity's pupils dilated to enormous proportions. A smile so wide it threatened to reach her forehead faced Rainbow Dash, and the pegasus couldn't help but gulp nervously in response.

“Uh, Rarity?” Rainbow Dash leaned back cautiously. “So, uh, will you…help me?”

At that moment, Rarity exploded. “Will I? Oh, Rainbow Dash, you have made me the happiest mare in all of Equestria! Come, come! We have much to do!”

Rarity dropped everything she was doing and hugged Rainbow Dash tightly. “This will be one of the greatest experiences of your life, I’m sure! You’ll see, Rainbow! I’ll pretty you up so everypony on the block will fall for you in a heartbeat!”

Rainbow Dash smiled uneasily. “R-really? Everypony will fall for me?”

“Why, of course they will! They don’t even know what’s coming!” Rarity pulled back and cheered giddily. “First thing’s first, we need to take care of these hooves of yours.”

“I knew you were going to say that.” Rainbow Dash bit her lip. “It has to be done, huh?”

“Now I know you dislike having your hooves touched, but if you’re serious about this makeover you’re going to need to tough it out.” Rarity assured her.

Rainbow Dash closed her eyes and sighed once again. “Okay. I leave it all to you, Rarity. I need to win by any means.”

“Win? Win what?” Rarity perked up curiously. “And what exactly brought on this change of heart?”

Rarity peered at Rainbow Dash in sweet, innocent wonder. She was so happy that Rainbow Dash was ready to commit to a makeover that what the pegasus said next did not even faze her.

“I-I’m trying to get somepony to fall in love with me.” Rainbow Dash admitted, providing a slow and concise answer.

“How wonderful! I’m so happy for you! What you’re trying to win is the special pony’s heart, yes?” Rarity said sweetly. “I’m so proud of you.”

“Y-yeah, I guess you could say that.” Rainbow Dash replied, nodding. “So when do we begin?”

“Why, right now! Off to the spa we go!” Rarity pranced around the shop and beckoned for Rainbow Dash to follow closely. “You’ll have to tell me all about this stallion on the way, okay?”

“How about I tell you after the makeover?” Anxious, Rainbow Dash followed Rarity out of the boutique. “That way it will be more of a surprise.”

“What? But I want to know now!” Rarity pouted cutely.

“I just want us to focus on the makeover! That’s all!” Rainbow Dash insisted.

Rarity pondered for a second before replying. “Oh, alright then. We shall go now!”

Rarity and Rainbow Dash rushed to the acclaimed Ponyville Spa. On the way, Rainbow Dash deliberated whether she should tell Rarity of who she was trying to impress. It was well-known throughout Ponyville that Spike had a huge crush on the purple-maned unicorn. A year ago everypony had labeled it as a childish infatuation, but recently Rarity had shown startling representations of affection towards the young dragon. Half of Ponyville had marked the unicorn’s behavior to just be the result of stronger bonds, yet the other half considered the possibility of a mutual relationship. Rainbow Dash was on that half. She knew that Rarity was bound to find out about the bet between Spike and her, but Rainbow Dash didn’t know whether she should be the one to relay such information. How would Rarity respond to her plan to conquer Spike’s heart? Would she support her? Would she go against her? Would she even pay attention? In any case, right now Rainbow Dash was to receive a complete transformation in appearance.

Rainbow Dash whispered to herself. “This mare’s coming for you, Spike. You better watch yourself.”

Spike felt a shiver crawl up his spine as he arrived at his current residence. Ponyville's library stood tall and oozed education. He waved farewell to Snips and Snails before facing forward. Spike shook off any lasting goose-bumps and stepped inside to find Twilight Sparkle standing firmly before him. Everything inside seemed neat and organized, so Spike contemplated why Twilight Sparkle had that authoritative face she always had when she’s giving demands.

“What’s up, Twilight?” Spike stepped around Twilight Sparkle and headed for the kitchen. “You look like you want to say something.”

“Spike.” Twilight Sparkle started, twisting her head to glance sternly at the dragon. “Is there something you need to tell me?”

“Huh? Like what?” Spike called from the kitchen. “I’m starving. What’s there to eat, Twilight?”

“Spike.” Twilight said again, moving to the kitchen to address her assistant. “What happened at the market today?”

Spike went motionless. “What do you mean?”

She wasn’t referring to what happened between him and Rainbow Dash, was she? How does she even know? Was she at the Farmer’s Market without Spike noticing? Did somepony tell her? But that means that other ponies are gossiping about it. Was Rainbow Dash’s cry for a challenge spreading so quickly?

“You know what I’m talking about, Spike,” Twilight Sparkle pushed. “Rainbow Dash is trying to make you fall in love with her?”

Spike spotted her staring at him incredulously. “Oh, that? That was all just a joke, Twilight. No need to be so serious. How did you know about that, anyway?”

“Applejack told me. She’s also a participating farmer, remember?” Twilight Sparkle breathed. “She saw everything and warned me.”

“Warned you? Why use that word? There’s nothing to be worried about.” Spike reached for a nearby cabinet. “I’m not going to fall for Rainbow Dash, if that’s what you’re getting at.”

Twilight Sparkle scowled. “Spike, this is serious! A grown mare shouldn’t be declaring her love for a baby dragon!”

“Like I said, everything’s fine. She was just playing around. You know how she is.”

“Apparently not, because Applejack told me Rainbow Dash looked very serious about what she was saying. And, frankly, I don’t find it to be so funny.”

“What are you complaining to me for, then?” Spike argued back. “It’s not like I asked for Rainbow Dash to say something so troublesome.”

“Because, Spike, there’s now a betting pool for this little game you two are playing!” Twilight Sparkle came off as positively panicked.

Spike’s jaw dropped slightly. “Huh?”

“Pinkie Pie’s taken the role as bookkeeper, and now everypony’s putting in their bits to support their…” Twilight Sparkle faltered on the next word. “P-player.”

“Wait.” Spike’s jaw dropped even further. “What?”

“Oh, that pink pony. She doesn’t know when to stop, does she?” Twilight Sparkle began pacing back and forth. “We’re going to have to do something about this. I don’t know what to do yet, but I’ll figure out something.”

“Hold on!” Spike picked up his jaw. “Ponies are betting on Dash and me?”

“Not just ponies, Spike! Mules, griffons and I heard even a few Everfree Forest creatures are betting as well!”

“The Everfree Forest?” Spike stuttered helplessly. “How did the news get there? Wait. I don’t understand. What’s happening, Twilight?”

Twilight Sparkle’s head peaked up. “I got it! Drastic times call for drastic measures!”

“What is it? What do I do?” Spike’s thought processes were as jumbled as Derpy’s sense of direction. “Tell me, Twilight!”

“Spike.” Twilight Sparkle stared deeply into Spike’s jaded eyes. “You must win.”

Spike steeled as he took a deep breath. “Huh?”

Rainbow Dash wriggled uncomfortably as she exited the Ponyville Spa. The time spent on providing a makeover was over, and now she and Rarity were headed back to the Carousel Boutique to try on dresses. Having the pegasus’ hooves washed and pedicured was more demanding of her will than she had imagined, but with a scorching fire enlivening the fighting spirit within, Rainbow Dash had persevered and triumphed. Her mane and tail was now conditioned and straightened, and her silky coat was very sensual to the touch. How did anypony deal with hair like this? Rainbow Dash pictured herself in a kind of foreign exoskeleton, maneuvering around while hiding her true self - the interior that was rough and messy. But undergoing these sensations was a small price to pay for victory.

“Rainbow Dash, I have the perfect dress for you to wear. I’ve been saving it for over a year now!” Rarity squealed in sheer joy.

“You saved a dress?” Rainbow Dash was taken aback. “Why?”

“I knew one day you would come to the other side.” Rarity skipped. “I only took it upon myself to be the provider for when the time was right.”

“Wow, thanks, Rarity.” Rainbow Dash hoof-pumped the air. “Now Spike is sure to fall for me!”

“Yes! Spike will undoubtedly fall head over heels for you, Rainbow—“ Rarity cut herself off, he eyes narrowing inquisitively.

Rainbow Dash put her hooves to her mouth. “Uh, oh.”

“R-Rainbow Dash…” Rarity forced a smile, her left eye twitching. “W-who did you say you were trying to impress again?”

“Uhhhhhhhhhhhh….” Rainbow Dash droned as she began to flap her wings. “See ya!”

Hurtling into the air, she sped away from the unicorn. “Thanks for everything, Rarity!”

“Rainbow Dash?” Rarity cried out to the distancing pegasus. “Who are you trying to impress?”

Well, it was a close call. Not really, though, because Rarity was bound to figure out what was actually going on very soon. Unbeknownst to Spike and Rainbow Dash, and for many of the citizens of Ponyville, news of their love battle had already spread to the Equestrian Capital, Canterlot. With more ponies—especially those with the extra funds, as are prevalent within the capital city—entered the betting pool hosted by Pinkie Pie, the overall odds growth boosted and proved tremendously profitable for the masses. Ponies and creatures from all backgrounds and lifestyles were now participating, from the Cutie Mark Crusaders to the Diamond Dogs. And all desired to profit one way or another.

Even the Royal Princesses...

Canterlot Castle was quiet. The Royal Guards stood stock still, fulfilling their duties to serve and protect. There were no scheduled diplomatic duties or arrangements for the day, so the magnificent edifice was rendered a lonely home atop a cliff. Outside in the gardens, Princess Celestia stood and put her ear to the sound of nature as Princess Luna approached her.

“Sister, I am sure you have heard by now.” Luna spoke, taking her sister’s attention away from the sound of the garden. “It seems two of our subjects have started a little game.”

“Yes, I have been notified of this, Luna,” Celestia replied calmly. “Young Spike and Rainbow Dash are having a bit of fun, I see.”

“And I am positive the bookkeeper of this little game has already come into contact with you.” Luna nodded gently, an eyebrow rising faintly.

“That is correct. Pinkie Pie did come to me regarding the betting activities.” Celestia closed her eyes and awaited Luna’s response.

“It is also certain that you partook.” Luna stopped and noted the soft smile on her sister’s countenance.

“You got me, Luna.” Celestia’s eyes remained closed. “I did in fact bet a few bits.”

“But why, sister?” Luna asked in a concerned tone. “The tendency to gamble has not always been your strongest feature, and how will your actions reflect upon the community?”

“Oh, Luna, nopony need be informed.” Celestia opened her eyes and winked to the lunar princess. “Besides, I am not the only one who decided to place a few bets.”

Luna eyed Celestia and flushed in embarrassment. She’d been caught. “W-Well, you are always telling me to get more involved with my subjects, so..."

“It is fine, little sister.” Celestia consoled Luna with a wave of her hoof. “Interesting, though, that we find ourselves betting while we do not need the bits.”

“Tia, I know you.” Luna stepped forward. “You are not one to involve yourself for no reason, and I am unable to understand your decision to do so.”

“I could say the same for you, Lulu.” Celestia addressed her sister by her nickname. “And I know who you are rooting for.”

“As do I for you.” Luna’s face was now inches away from Celestia’s.

“You are supporting Spike,” Celestia giggled.

“You are siding with Rainbow Dash,” Luna confirmed.

“Yes, I am.” Celestia locked a gaze with her sister. “I hope you do not interfere.”

Luna quickly stated, “You will not win.”

“Maybe. Maybe not,” Celestia mused.

“Our reasons for betting have nothing to do with finances. It is all a desire to be right,” Luna pointed out. “I plan to be the right one this time, sister.”

Celestia maintained eye contact. “Bring it on.”

Author's Note:

Written by MallaJong. Edited by Vexy.