• Published 17th Oct 2012
  • 9,007 Views, 259 Comments

Equestrylvania - Brony_Fife



A Castlevania/MLP crossover. But enough talk! Have at you!

  • ...
15
 259
 9,007

Intermission ~ A Requiem

The night stumbles along slowly, like a machine’s inner workings struggling to operate. Twilight can feel the horrible emptiness of this night all around her. Swallowing her. She is its meal for the night. Its appetizer. She looks out her window to the moon above, the same ugly and hideous and twisted moon that is no longer Luna’s, lording over the night below—the night that is no longer Luna’s.

The more she thinks about it, the more revolting it feels. Their goddesses are not here, yet the sun and moon rise and sink in the sky without their mothers. How could this be? Twilight theorizes that the Princesses’ abilities were estimated incorrectly. Perhaps they didn’t raise those heavenly bodies from their rest each morn and dusk—perhaps all they did was bless the day and night. Without their blessings, each day feels more uneasy and every night becomes something to fear.

Twilight rests her head on her desk, craving sleep. Groping for it the same way a pony in a desert gropes for water: she thirsts for slumber. Longs for it. But like all the starving and damned, what they want is something they’ll never receive.

Slowly, she sits back up. Looks aside. The eerie moon above casts its evil eye upon Spike, now asleep in a basket the nurses dropped by. Her eyes flick to the moon. She mouths a curse at it. With a thought, Twilight pulls the curtain shut, blocking the moon’s invasive view of the room.

Twilight Sparkle looks down at her assistant as he sleeps. He turns after a few seconds. Smacks his lips. Mumbles something. It isn’t long until he begins to snore softly. For the first time tonight, Twilight finds it within herself to smile again. She draws her face close to Spike’s and plants a goodnight kiss on his forehead—one he would have been embarrassed by had he been awake.

She looks to her desk again. On it are a lit lantern, the remains of the Arcanum Aura Analyzer, its needles and knobs displaying a flat zero. Next to them are her research notes. Atop those sits a checklist.

A heavy sigh escapes Twilight as she returns to her desk. What worries her, besides the obvious? Uncertainty. That must be it. She's become uncertain of a lot of things.

Uncertain of her brother. His safety. And what of his wife? What would Cadence think when she sees what's become of her husband? And what of Roaring Yawn? It's been nearly two days since she last wrote him, and still no reply. The silent mystery of their fate weighs heavily in Twilight's mind.

Trying to distract herself, Twilight looks over her checklist one more time. The checklist itself has unmarked boxes next to various ingredients for the devices she plans to make sometime tomorrow—three compasses, a jar of Darkness-aligned magical ink, Ignis dust, and three Pan’s Needles.

Trackers for the pieces of Dracula. Three trackers for three members of their group. No more, no fewer. While they run the risk of losing their way should one break, it’s better than accidentally allowing one into the claws of whatever monstrous servant of Dracula should come across it.

From the three trackers should be formed three groups. Twilight is still half-asleep when it comes to deciding who goes where in this case—and with the added aid of Shatterstorm and Aeon, it’d at least help the group with numbers. Big Macintosh might be able to help, too, but it’d be rather unsafe to take all the most eligible Ponyvillians and leave the town unguarded in case anything happened…

But that’s getting too far ahead of herself. This is all something that needs to wait until tomorrow. Right now, she needs her sleep—a sleep that she cannot reach. She climbs into bed anyway, nestles herself beneath her covers and closes her eyes.

The moment they are closed, the dead foals scream silently as their blank eyes see nightmares only they can see. Twilight opens her eyes again and is greeted by the ceiling above. After a few seconds, she closes them again.

Ponyville is on fire. She can smell the smoke. She can taste the ashes. She can hear the cackle of a mad grave digger as he burns and burns and burns. Again her eyes snap open, this time accompanied by a sharp intake of breath. She presses a hoof against her lips and gulps, trying to bring herself back together. Once more, she closes her eyes.

Bloody tears. Bloody tears on a mouthless face of white.

When she opens her eyes this time, she opens them with a shriek.


Shatterstorm wants one thing tonight. To be clean. To be cleansed.

Underneath the warm torrent of the shower, an adult Shatterstorm brushes at himself furiously. Soap attacks every trace of Actrise’s touch. He breathes deep before lifting his face to the shower water, splashing his entire head, his mop of ocean-green mane becoming damp and heavy.

Not clean enough.

Underneath the warm torrent of the shower, a fourteen-year-old Shatterstorm brushes at himself furiously. Soap attacks every trace of Minty Fresh’s touch. He breathes deep before lifting his face to the shower water, splashing his entire head, his long ocean-green mane becoming damp and heavy.

Unclean.

Underneath the warm torrent of the shower, a twelve-year-old Shatterstorm brushes at himself furiously. Soap attacks every trace of Olive Branch’s touch. He breathes deep before lifting his face to the shower water, splashing his entire head, his shaggy ocean-green mane becoming damp and heavy.

Still unclean.

Underneath the warm torrent of the shower, a ten-year-old Shatterstorm brushes at himself furiously. Soap attacks every trace of his mother’s touch. He breathes deep before lifting his face to the shower water, splashing his entire head, his shaggy ocean-green mane becoming damp and heavy.

Never clean.

Underneath the warm torrent of the shower, an eight-year-old Shatterstorm brushes at himself furiously. His mother’s touch is all over him, crawling all over him like hideous spiders or fleas, digging their ugly heads into his skin and drawing out his blood. The skittering, feeding, crawling itch of it all makes him feel invaded. Filthy. Ugly.

An eight-year-old Shatterstorm loves his mother.

An eight-year-old Shatterstorm hates his mother.

An eight-year-old Shatterstorm is unclean.

An adult Shatterstorm will never be clean.

Shatterstorm has always preferred showers to baths, ever since he was a little colt. He even loves the rain. As he rinses off the soap from before and begins the sixth soap-down that night, Shatterstorm remembers why he likes showers. Why he likes rain. Why he likes it when water descends upon him from above.

At least when the water is already coming down, Shatterstorm can’t tell the difference between the raindrops and his own tears.


Marble paces the length of her cell. Her steps are slow. Sorrowful. She turns around upon reaching the wall, and paces to the other side. Walking again past the cold toilet. Walking again past the stiff cot. Walking again by the iron bars and the barred window. Outside the cold, dry cell, Marble hears a door open and somepony descends the short, three-step staircase.

She puts her front hooves on the bars as the jailer comes in. He’s a burly pony, though not quite as large as Big Macintosh. An icy, unfriendly color scheme emphasizes his role of a resolute sentinel. His unicorn horn glows with an equally-cold color, levitating in front of him a plate of steamed vegetables. He stops in front of her cell.

One sniff of the vegetables leaves Marble’s stomach growling. For a few seconds, the jailer just stands there in front of her cell, unmoving, like a statue. The plate of vegetables hovers just out of Marble’s reach. If she could, she’d levitate the food into her cell herself—but the clamp around her horn stunts her magic, preventing her from utilizing any telekinesis.

She takes another whiff of the delicious food. Carrots. Potatoes. Peas. While the vegetables were likely low-quality, right now they were a breakfast fit for a god. Marble licks her lips and looks hesitantly up to meet the jailer’s steely gaze.

His lantern-square jaw twitches. “I heard what you did to those kids,” he says quietly, his voice almost like a pair of large rocks sliding against one another.

He is met with silence—the same silence Marble has so far greeted everypony with since the ocean-colored pegasus guardspony brought her in.

Slowly, the jailer takes Marble’s prison food over to the far side of the jailhouse’s block, out of her sight. Her stomach growls as she hears his hoofsteps fade away gradually, then suddenly stop. She hears a lid open up. Then a muted sound of something falling into a bag. The jailer comes back, the breakfast plate empty. Marble eyes the empty plate helplessly.

The jailer sneers. “I hope you get what you deserve,” he growls as he walks back up the stairs.

The heavy hoofsteps travel, fading away again, until Marble hears the door open. “Prisoner was pretty hungry this morning,” he calls to who must be the cook. “Cleaned the whole plate!” Just as the door shuts behind him, she hears the cook say something—sounds like, “I hope she choked.”

Marble holds herself against the bars of her cell, leaning her wary face against them. She sniffles as she slides down, settling onto the cold, stony floor. She sobs.

“Psst!”

Marble looks up. She hears the small sound again, this time accompanied by her assumed name. She gets up on her cot, then up on her hind legs as she looks out the barred window. Looking through the bars, she finds Pokey Pierce, still sporting the black eye he’d received earlier. He's down on his stomach, on the grass as he looks through the bars and meets Marble's gaze with his own.

When he sees he has her attention, he smiles. Marble has always found his smile pretty, but at the same time dumb—like a little child who’s too innocent to understand how cruel the world can be. He has no idea.

With him is a small box and a bottle of milk. “Brought’cha something,” he says quietly. He levitates it through the bars, his warm blue aura leaving it on her side of the barred window. Before the aura dissipates, it strokes her face tenderly, earning a gasp of surprise from Marble. She blushes. Pokey Pierce smiles, his tail wagging like a dog’s.

Again with that pretty, dumb smile of his. Marble returns it with one of her own. She looks to the box. It’s a local brand of cereal, with marshmallows in the shape of pirate-themed objects. Like something a kid might beg his mother to buy for breakfast. Her smile becomes a friendly smirk. She looks to Pokey again—his humor present in his good eye. She hears him chuckle, as if his choice in her meal was meant as a joke.

Which it likely was. Either way, it got a smile out of her—and a smile is all Pokey Pierce wants. (For now.)

Marble takes the food and sits on her cot. She opens the box, digging into the contents eagerly. Bland vanilla and crunchy sugar never tasted this good before—she chews the cereal quickly, taking a deep drink of the milk periodically. Much to her surprise she finishes everything in under a few minutes. She looks into the box in surprise. Then back to Pokey Pierce, who had watched her wolf it all down with a look of amusement.

“What?” Marble whispers jokingly. “N-No puh-prize in the b-box?”

Pokey Pierce chortles and turns away sheepishly. The baby blue glow surrounds the empty objects and takes them away. “I’ll take care of that so you don’t get caught,” he says.

Silence.

“Y-You didn’t… have to duh-do that f-f-fuh-for me,” Marble stutters as she stands back up on her cot.

Pokey Pierce rubs his black eye. “Aw, that’s OK,” he says nonchalantly. “I know you’re innocent. I don’t believe a word of what they said.”

“N-No, I meant… your eye.”

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll be able to see out of this eye again by tomorrow.” Pokey laughs quietly at his own stupid joke.

“That g-guh-gr-gur… R-Royal Guard threatened to arrest you,” she says. “He was within his rights to, b-but he d-d-didn’t.”

“Yeah, instead he settled for knocking me out,” Pokey says bitterly. “I’ll be complaining to his superiors. Totally not a cool way for a Royal Guard to act.”

Marble rests her face on a hoof. “You thuh-threated to knock his b-buh-bl-b-bl… clean his clock if he took another s-st-stuh-st—if he got too close to me. Whuh-what were you expecting him to d-do?”

Pokey seems to think this over a moment. She's close enough to his face to watch his head's inner clockwork grind and rattle. “You know, I’m… not really… sure,” he says, finally. “I guess I didn’t really think that through.”

Silence. Marble sighs and closes her eyes shut. “P-Pokey.”

“Yes?”

“You’re v-very sw-sw-swuh-s-s… kind… b-but…” She opens her eyes again, looking directly into Pokey’s. “But you need to f-fer-forget ab-about me.”

Pokey wears a frown—the same kind one finds on the face of a foal when they’re told “no.” He shakes his head. “No can do,” he says. “Marble, I—”

“White D-Dwarf.”

“…What?”

“White Dwarf,” she says more clearly. “That’s my real n-name. F-Fuh-Fren-Friends call me D-Dee f-for short.”

Pokey Pierce looks at her, confused. Dee tries her hardest not to look into his eyes—or at that puppylike face of his. What comes next is going to hurt him, but she concludes that she needs to do it. This has to happen.

“I lied to you, P-Pokey. Ab-About everything.”

Don’t look at him, she reminds herself. She can hear him breathe a little more heavily, as if he cannot process that a mare as beautiful as her could lie.

“I lied to B-Big Macintosh, too. I’m not an artist—I c-can’t even dr-draw st-st-stick figures. And I’m n-not f-fer-from F-Fillyd-delph-f-fuh-f-phia.”

A long and uncomfortable pause. Against her better judgment, Dee looks down and is greeted by the look she was afraid she’d see. She remembers, as a foal, a time in which she witnessed the shy kid in her class get beat up by other kids who acted like they were his friends. Pokey has exactly the same hurt expression that kid did.

“…Why?” he asks, his voice choking. “Why’d you lie, Dee?”

Good grief, that’s the kind of tone one could hear coming from a child who’s watching his pet being put to sleep! Dee takes a deep breath and turns away from the window. “I c-can’t tell you. You wouldn’t und-understand.”

“Tell me," Pokey says sternly. "You can tell me, Dee. You can trust me.”

“No, I c-can’t. I can’t tell you.”

“But I want to understand you, Dee.”

“No, you n-need to go away. You need to suh-st-stay away from me. Please d-don’t make this hard for b-both of us.”

Pokey leans forward as he folds his forelegs defiantly. “Dee, I won’t do that,” he says. “I dunno what bad decisions you’ve made in your life that led you to this. But I won’t abandon you.”

Dee's lips stretch into a frown as she closes her eyes and shakes her head. Pokey can hear the cracks in her regal, queenly voice. “N-No,” she chokes, “No, Pokey, you’re very sweet and I like you. I like you a lot. That’s why, f-f-for your own s-suh-say-safe-f-f—protection, you need to s-s-stay away from me.”

Pokey places a hoof on the bars. His tone and body language change entirely, no longer a little colt but a fierce warrior. “Never. I’ll never abandon you.” Silence. “I know I’m dumb. I’ve never been accused of being all that bright. I’m not exactly rocket scientist material. But I like to think what I lack in brains I more than make up for in heart.”

His hoof still on the bars, he bows his head low—like a knight swearing an oath to a princess locked away in a tower, promising he’ll rescue her and bring her home. “And my heart… belongs to you.”

Dee facehoofs. “You d-don’t und-understand,” she says lividly.

“Then make me understand. I want to understand.”

Dee looks out the window again. The sun is slowly beginning to rise, bathing the world around them in a dull orange. The light bathes Pokey Pierce in gold, making him seem radiant.

Beautiful.

He’s beautiful in his own dumb way. Perhaps it’s not his ignorance of the dangers of the world, but the way he seems to take those dangers head on, damning the consequences. He had no idea if he’d win a fight against a trained guardspony like Shatterstorm, but he did so anyway. He probably understands the gravity of assisting a criminal, but he did so anyway.

Pokey Pierce has proven he's more than willing to do terrible things and break any law for her. That a stallion would go out of his way for her like this is…

…is ludicrous. He’s going to get hurt. In some sick way, it feels as if he wants to be hurt.

Dee falls onto her cot, and sobs. She hears Pokey call her name a few times before he stops. She curls up again, and cries herself to sleep as whatever nutrients she gained from the cereal are devoured by the red seed nestled inside her.


“Well,” Rarity says as she claps shut the book she was reading. “You certainly took your sweet time in coming home.” She gets out of her chair and, somewhat haughtily, walks forward.

“I’ll have you know that while you were away, your youngest daughter was terrorized and brutalized with you nowhere to comfort her. Your youngest daughter nearly died yesterday.” She pauses. Hesitates. When no argument is made, Rarity continues her rant.

“You weren’t there for her. Don’t even argue. You weren’t there—you’re never there. You spoil her the same way you spoiled me: by giving us things we might want, but never giving us what we need. She needed you here. I needed you here.” Irritated, Rarity waves a hoof to articulate her next point. “I know you love us, I never doubted that, but you’re just…”

Say it. Just say it and be done with it, Rarity.

She stomps the ground. “You’re so irresponsible! Sweetie Belle might never be whole again, you know! Not after everything she’s been put through! Being attacked by monsters! Getting poisoned! Seeing terrifying images! She might recover from those wounds, but she’ll never be the same again! And it all happened because you weren’t here to help! You weren’t here to protect her!”

Silence descends like a curtain. Rarity takes a deep breath as she looks more closely at her reflection in the window. She frowns. “Like parents, like daughter, I suppose,” she says coldly, her rehearsal now complete. She sighs. “What could you have done if you were here? I’m the one who’d fed her the poison in the first place.”

Rarity sits down, still looking at her reflection. “What am I going to do?” she asks herself quietly.

“Miss Rarity? Your sister is awake now,” says a nurse from behind, drawing Rarity out of her thoughts. The nurse leads her into Sweetie Belle’s room.

Sweetie Belle lies in her bed, looking to the ceiling above her in complete disinterest. She turns her head to look at Rarity—and although Rarity greets her with a warm smile, it soon fades when she finds it unreturned. Sweetie Belle merely observes Rarity the same way a bored child might observe a fish tank, a broken husk of who she once was. Her solemn eyes beckon Rarity to come closer.

“I’ll leave you two alone now,” the nurse says. With a nod, she leaves the room.

It’s a few seconds before anything is said. “So,” Rarity begins, “how are we doing today, Sweetie Belle?”

Silence. “…Hungry.”

“You want me to go get you something? I’m sure Applejack is more than willing to lend us some apples.” A pause. No reply. Rarity continues. “The hospital staff actually just got through inspecting the rest of the food for any further poisoning, and…”

She trails off. Shaking her head, Rarity reiterates her original question. “I-Is there anything I can get you, darling?”

More silence. It appears Sweetie Belle is only barely here. Did that poison leave brain damage? Rarity feels a sickening chill the moment the thought enters her mind. Before that thought can give birth to panic, Sweetie Belle speaks.

“...Had a dream.”

Another pause. “W-What was it about?” Rarity asks.

Sweetie Belle swallows. A look enters her eyes—one that’s hard to read. Fear? Sadness?

“I was on a road,” she begins. “Was a really long road. I was walking along with lots of other kids. Some of them I recognized from school, like Pipsqueak and Twist. The Cake twins were there, too.” A pause. Rarity breathes in sharply—those were the names of other foals who’d been poisoned.

Sweetie Belle continues. “And there was this pony. She was tall and pure-white. Almost like Celestia, except she was completely white, head to hoof. And she didn’t have any eyes.” She gulps. “She didn’t have any eyes but you could tell she was looking at you. So I was scared at first.”

Rarity feels a lump form in her throat.

“But when she looked at us, she smiled.” Sweetie Belle looks at Rarity more intently. “She was really pretty. Like you and Mom.” She raises her hoof and points at nothing in particular. “And she pointed to a real high mountain that was very far away. And on top of that mountain was a beautiful castle. Like… something out of a fairy tale.”

Rarity swallows, trying to kill the lump, but it remains steadfast.

“She told us… that castle was where we were gonna live from now on, and that we were gonna be really happy there.”

Hot tears start forming in Rarity eyes. She bites her bottom lip before it can quiver.

“So she took us there. Long trip. A lot of the path was really dark. But the white lady was there, so we knew we were safe.” She blinks. “I dunno how I know that, but I do. I just... felt safe with her.

“Then one by one, everypony started fading away. I got scared. Soon, it was just me and the white lady walking down that path. So I held onto her. And she told me not to feel scared: I was just about to wake up.”

Rarity feels a spasm within her and recognizes it as a stifled sob. She sniffs back a tear and holds her sister tenderly, not saying anything. This scene lasts for long, tired minutes before Rarity finally says, “Sweetie Belle, I love you.”

For the first time in what feels like ages, Sweetie Belle smiles. It’s not the same wide smile she had when she was whole and happy, but Rarity takes comfort in knowing it’s genuine. “I love you too, Rarity,” she responds. “You don’t need to tell me that. I already know. I always knew.”

The tears finally break, streaming down Rarity’s face as she kisses her sister’s head. “You’ll have to forgive me,” she whispers. “Sometimes… Sometimes I’m so stupid, I'm afraid you might forget.”


All the graves are empty. Strangely shaped mounds of mud dot the cemetery, along with what look like pieces of shattered lantern pottery. Quietly, Applejack walks across the length of the rows of graves. Her green eyes flick to the tombstones as she passes them by.

It’s odd to attach names to the creatures that attacked Ponyville, odder still to believe they’d once been ponies themselves. Once been alive. Once been loved. And happy, and hurt, and married. And had names, and had been like anypony else.

This sense of strangeness segues into melancholy as Applejack passes by each grave. Every single one had been destroyed, broken coffins lying neglected. Finally, she finds the two grave markers she’d been looking for the moment she passed those cemetery gates.

CORTLAND APPLE, Beloved Son, Brother, Husband, Father.

BELLADONNA APPLE, Beloved Daughter, Sister, Wife, Mother.

Both graves are empty.

The dirt that held the coffins is scattered about, as are bits of wood. The coffins in the graves had their lids knocked off, the lids themselves lying a few feet away. Despite her wrangling with some of the monsters that attacked Ponyville, she elected to never tango with the zombies. Looking at the evidence that lays before her now, Applejack realizes she’d made the right choice. These zombies were freakishly strong if they were able to rise from their graves with this much brute force.

She removes her hat and holds it to her chest. A lonely wind blows by, playfully swatting at her mane and tail as it does so. For a minute or so, Applejack holds her humble position—head lowered, eyes closed, hat to chest.

Finally, she finds the words she feels she needs to say. “Ah’m so sorry,” she says quietly. “Ah’m not about t’blame myself, since nopony could’a seen any’a this comin’. But all the same, Ah wish Ah could’a done somethin’ about all this... besides what Ah done.”

“You only say that because the situation itself made you feel powerless.”

Applejack turns her attention to the dry voice coming from behind. Aeon draws near, stopping at her side. His horn glows, pulling out of his white jacket a pair of healthy red roses. He rests one by the side of Cortland’s tombstone and the other by Belladonna’s, then bows his head in respect.

Aeon comes back up. His dull gray eyes return to Applejack. “It is good that you choose not to blame yourself for something you were not responsible for. Too many waste their time with such pointless self-doubt.”

After some silence, Applejack places her hat back on her head. “Hey. Aeon?”

“If you intend to apologize for hitting me yesterday, please refrain from doing so.”

“No,” she says, shaking her head. “Ah might be upset by how… aloof you been, but Ah had no right t’punch you like that.” She sighs and looks down, ashamed. “Or spit on you, either. My behavior yesterday was just… totally uncalled for.”

Aeon’s eyes are fixated on her, but looking at him, Applejack swears his mind is looking at something else. It’s a look of engrossed detachment, as if his attention can be in two places at once. Finally, he blinks, breathes deep, and says, “Apology accepted.”

Applejack releases a sigh she didn’t know she was holding. “Thanks for understandin’, sugarcube.” She pulls him into a bear hug. The squeak he makes as she does so indicates he didn’t expect it. “That made me feel worlds better.”

She pats Aeon on the back as she lets go. All of a sudden, Applejack laughs, relieved. “Hoo-wee!” she sighs. “Cain’t seem to get as many o’those as Ah need! ’Salmost like air—y’don’t even miss it till you ain’t gettin’ one.”

“…A hug?” Aeon asks, almost amused by Applejack’s exclamation.

Applejack raises an eyebrow. “What? Y’just ain’t never been hugged before?”

An awkward silence descends on the two. Applejack looks back to her parents’ graves. “Yeah, sorry,” she says, “Din’t mean that.”

More silence. Aeon shrugs. “That is all right. It is true; this one has not received a hug for…” His eyes flicker, as if attempting to tally a large number. “Well, a while,” he says, foregoing the math.

They share a short laugh, then fall silent again. Aeon clicks his tongue after a few seconds. “You know, your parents—and every other pony in this potter’s field—were not ‘risen’ from the dead in the usual sense of the term. Dracula’s servants include ethereal creatures such as ghosts, which often reach deep into the ground to possess and pull out the deceased.”

Applejack nods, a grim and bothered frown stretching across her lips. “So my parents were just playthings to him…”

Everyone’s loved ones were,” Aeon says, motioning to all the other emptied graves. “It is his way. Everything is a game to Dracula and his minions. He cares not for what is important to anyone. His servants share similar selfishness.”

Applejack thinks for a second or so. “Even findin’ Dracula’s body parts? Ah’d think puttin’ my king back together would be more important than some game.”

Aeon smiles at her. “Take it from this one: immortality is very boring. It seems the older one grows, the more childish and impatient one becomes. If it will take them fifty years to put their master back together, they might as well make the most of it.”

Applejack more closely scrutinizes Aeon. “Fifty years? They been at this fer fifty years?

“Give or take. Time passes differently in each dimension.” He checks the time on his stopwatch before snapping it shut and cocking his head back towards Sweet Apple Acres. “Speaking of, I think it is time we head back to your orchard. I will tell you everything you want to know on our way there.”

Applejack nods in agreement. As they turn to leave, she gives her parents’ graves one last, somber look before following Aeon out of the graveyard.

“So,” Applejack begins as they reach the entrance. “That Actrise said somethin’ about a Janine." An awkward pause. Applejack takes a deep breath. "If it’s OK fer me to ask... who was she?”

Aeon smiles sadly. Just mentioning Janine’s name seems to make the red jewel in his jacket pocket feel so much heavier. They round the corner, leaving the graveyard behind. “That is a very long story…”

As Aeon tells Applejack more about Janine, the sun above shines on the roses he had left between the tombstones, making them sparkle against the light. The lonely wind from before returns, pushing Belladonna’s rose towards Cortland’s, entangling them.


It's in her mind, then leaving without a trace as she slowly comes awake. It's almost as if Fluttershy is gradually emerging from a pool of water, from the water of dreams to the cold, biting air of morning. The dream she had was almost a terrifying one, but as she wakes up, she begins to forget it. She forgets the sound of a cracking whip, the smell of a body burning, the face of a thing long dead.

As she emerges from that dream-pool, the first thing Fluttershy feels is a nibble on her mane. She groans slightly as she turns in her bed. Last night had been the first night since all this madness started that she’d been able to rest in her cottage again, not that being in her own bed helped her find sleep. All she could think about were her little animals she’d buried in the front yard. The cold dampness on the pillow reminds Fluttershy vaguely that she’d cried herself to sleep the night before.

The nibble on her mane returns. Fluttershy sniffles a bit as she tries to open her eyes. They creak and groan as the darkness around her opens to reveal a blurry world. A small white blob wobbles slightly on a longer, pink blob before Fluttershy’s waking mind understands that Angel is chewing her mane to get her to wake up. Usually, Angel settles for kicking her in the flank if she oversleeps, but it seems he’s in a much more patient mood this morning.

“Good morning, Angel,” Fluttershy says as she sits up in her bed. She yawns and stretches as Angel looks up at her with a smile. Her fetlocks ache as she crawls out of bed and continues her morning stretches, arching her back, flapping her wings. She hears the clink of metal and feels a definite weight around her neck. Looking down, Fluttershy remembers she slept with the cross around her neck. She smiles.

Fluttershy then turns to Angel. “It’s all right, Momma’s gonna start some breakfast for you. The usual?” Angel nods, his big smile unfading. His eyes dart about as she yawns and exits her bedroom, wondering what she’ll think when she actually wakes up.

Still sleepy, Fluttershy carefully walks down to the kitchen, careful to not stumble down the stairs. She smiles as she recalls how many times she’d done that when she first moved into this cottage. She wasn’t used to living in a two-story building at the time, and was nearly always too groggy in the morning to watch where she was stepping on the stairs.

Fluttershy walks by the animals in the living room. “Good morning, everyone,” she greets them as she continues into the kitchen. “Hope everyone’s well res… ted…”

Her eyes widen as she realizes she’d just walked by the animals she thought had abandoned her. Fluttershy runs back out of the kitchen, now fully alert, and rubs her eyes to make sure she isn’t seeing things.

There, in her living room, are several of the animals who, only a week and a half ago, had turned into monsters. Only now, they are… de… Dracula-ized? What would the word to describe their current state be? Ah, yes—uncorrupted! Fluttershy’s friends are now uncorrupted, looking to her with the friendly furry faces she recognizes.

With a delighted squeal, Fluttershy dashes into the living room and pulls all her remaining critter friends into a group hug. In the middle of her joy, Fluttershy begins to cry. “I-I thought I’d lost all of you!” she says as she feels the hot tears roll down her face. Mr. Bear's massive paw wipes the tears away.

“How did this happen?” she asks. “I thought Dracula still had you under his spell…” The moment the word “spell” is out of her mouth, the answer pops into Fluttershy’s mind. “The spell! The spell that Twilight cast!” She begins to pace her living room excitedly. “It muted Dracula’s influence, not just on his loyal minions, but his reluctant ones, too!”

Fluttershy bounces around the room, giggling. Angel descends the stairs, and as he reaches the bottom, Fluttershy scoops him up into a hug. “Angel, did you see everyone?” Angel nods, his smile now more bashful than anything else. Fluttershy only notices now that the other animals are staring at them.

“Oh right—breakfast,” Fluttershy says quickly, blushing. She puts Angel on her back as she returns to her kitchen. “After being under such a nasty spell, I bet you’re all starving! I’ll be right back with some food.”

As she looks through her pantry for the feed bags, Fluttershy begins humming a merry tune, making a mental note to thank Twilight later. The cross around her neck clinks and jingles, almost as merry as the pegasus wearing it.


The sun is now rising in the sky. No sleep had come to Rainbow Dash the night before, evading her like an expert escape artist—Houdini-ing just out of her grasp before she could enter dreamland. The bags under her eyes are heavy, her aching muscles even more so.

She’d been trying to work herself into a state of exhaustion all night. Performing her tricks under the moonlight and the protective forcefield felt different from what she’d been used to. The wind in her mane was soulless without the warmth of the sun on her back. Either way, although it did much to tire her, it did little to ease her into sleep.

Her wings flap as hard as she can make them as she comes to a rest on the roof of the Ponyville General Hospital. She yawns as she stretches and lies down, forsaking the work it would take to form a cloud for her bed and settling for the hard rooftop. Once more, she closes her eyes and chases that Houdini act called “sleep.”

It escapes her again—laughing at her this time—as she hears a slow, quiet noise nearby. It sounds almost like something being filled. She cracks open an eye to get a better view of what’s causing the noise. She sees balloons of many colors floating in the air. She wonders how on Earth she'd managed to not see them before. Underneath them is an earth pony with a washed-out pink color scheme and a flattened mane.

“…Pinkie Pie?” she asks. Pinkie turns around, her blue eyes ancient and tired. “What the heck are you doing?”

Pinkie stifles a yawn as it tries to slither out. “I’ve been up here all night preparing for this morning.”

Rainbow Dash cocks an eyebrow. “What were you planning this morning?”

With a step devoid of her usual energy, Pinkie moves aside to reveal a helium tank. Behind it are more helium tanks, presumably empty. The hundred or so balloons hang suspended, tied to part of the rooftop’s pipeworks running along its ground.

“Where’d you get all this—” Rainbow Dash begins, before melting into “—oh right, balloon emergencies like this one.” She groans as she tries to stand back up. “Ya need any help?”

“I just need around four more balloons,” Pinkie says quietly. As Rainbow Dash helps her attach a balloon to the lip of the helium tank, she looks to Pinkie’s haggard form. The muted pink and flattened mane display more than mere fatigue. She says nothing until the balloon is almost full of helium.

“So, uh… what are all the balloons for?”

“One hundred and twelve.”

Rainbow Dash raises an eyebrow. “A hundred and twelve balloons?”

“One hundred and twelve victims,” Pinkie says somberly. She returns to her uncharacteristic silence as she ties the next balloon shut and ties its string to the pipe with its brothers and sisters.

Rainbow Dash swallows. Pinkie continues before she says anything. “Today’s the twenty-eighth of July. So every July twenty-eighth, I’m going to inflate a hundred and twelve balloons.”

“What are you gonna do with the balloons?”

Pinkie inflates the next balloon. “Let them fly,” she answers after some silence.

Rainbow Dash ties the second-to-last balloon to the pipeline. “So, uh... why're you gonna do this every year?”

Pinkie Pie starts inflating the next balloon. “When they decided to start burning the bodies of the victims, a lot of them went unidentified. The lobby in the hospital’s got entire walls of missing pony posters. Everypony assumes they’re dead.”

She finishes inflating it and gives it to Rainbow Dash so she can tie it down. “I’m scared they’re gonna be forgotten about eventually,” Pinkie says as she inflates the last balloon. “There’s nothing worse than dying… and then being forgotten about like you never existed at all.” Her bottom lip quivers as the helium tank quietly hisses into the balloon.

Rainbow Dash’s eyes widen at Pinkie’s suddenly negative attitude. “But they’re not going to be forgotten,” Pinkie says, her voice at a stronger volume. A tear rolls down her face. “Because I refuse to forget them. Every year, I’m going to inflate a hundred and twelve balloons—one for every victim.”

She ties the balloon’s tail shut and gives it to Rainbow Dash, who looks at her in awed silence. Slowly, Rainbow Dash takes the balloon and ties it down. Pinkie Pie takes a few steps back to observe her work. “It’s… how I want to remember them,” she whispers.

Rainbow Dash joins her in her admiration for a few seconds. She looks aside to her. “Pinkie,” she says with a smile, “have I ever told you how much you amaze me sometimes?”

Pinkie Pie meets Rainbow Dash’s eyes. Her color brightens as her mane inflates like the balloons. Finally, she smiles. Snorts a short laugh. “I’m not nearly as amazing as the friends I’ve made,” she says.

“Oh, that isn’t true,” Rainbow Dash retorts, giving Pinkie a playful shoulder-shove. “None of us would’ve thought to do this. This is really thoughtful of you.” Her smile becomes a bit saddened. “Their families... y’know, their families are gonna be really happy.”

Pinkie chuckles. She trots to the pipeline where all the balloons are tied and begins untying them. “Once a year,” she says.

Rainbow Dash helps her out, using a wing to cut the balloons loose, turning them into a billowing cloud. As they float above into the morning sky, filling it with a spectrum of vibrant and joyful colors, the balloons begin to part ways and spread out. Looking at them all makes Rainbow Dash think of a time in her life when everything was this grand and beautiful.

She puts a foreleg around Pinkie Pie and gives her a reassuring hug. “Once a year,” she agrees.

In Ponyville this morning, a pegasus repaired feeds her once-lost animals.

A pair of sisters reunited weep in each others' embrace.

A pony forgiven listens to a story of lost love.

A unicorn trapped lies in her prison cell as she is slowly devoured from the inside.

A pegasus defiled rests against his cot, still feeling cold and unclean.

A unicorn broken cries in the arms of her dragon assistant over a nightmare that has only begun.

In Ponyville this morning, a pair of friends watch the flock of balloons with a shared smile as their home wakes up to a breathtaking sight...