• Published 12th Feb 2020
  • 8,637 Views, 260 Comments

A Dusk's New Dawn - ThatWritingDragon



A scarred Stallion and a happy world, when you mix them together? you get this story!

  • ...
30
 260
 8,637

13- Suspicious? Absoloutely not


13
Suspicious? Absolutely not


The moment Dusk saw the guards in the distance, he did what every respectable stallion would do in his situation.

He decided to trot in the opposite direction, pace slow and definitely not suspicious. Running away would make him very suspicious and he'd rather not deal with that, he thought as his eyes began searching for a non-conspicuous spot for him to go and teleport back into his room.

What? Did you expect him to go and walk through town where a large number of guards are running around, possibly searching for the baby strapped to his chest? Absolutely not, he wasn't stupid.

Sadly, he was on the outskirts of Ponyville and there weren't a lot of inconspicuous places for him to teleport without getting noticed but then again, when did he care about risks? It wasn't like he was potentially commiting treason or anything!

He glanced down at the babbling foal that started this whole mess and stuck his tongue out, face scrunching in faux annoyance as he puffed out his cheeks.

"You're such a troublesome foal," he started, before lightly sneezing when the younger alicorn bopped his nose with hers. He had to fight the smile from growing on his muzzle at that action. He just couldn't help himself around foals. Something about their stubby legs, tiny bodies and small frames just made him feel a certain way. As if somehow activating an instinct deep inside him. His buddies from back home had always teased him whenever he visited the refugee's orphanage, saying that he was called 'Papa Dusk' by the foals behind his back.

His eyes darkened, face turning blank as he trotted away from the homey town, busy in thought.

He wondered, how they were now? Were they happy? Did they grow up well?

Before he could spiral further, he was snapped into reality when he heard a whine and stopped in his tracks. With how fast his neck snapped towards the foal, he wondered if he would need a medic but he quickly shoo-ed those thoughts away to focus on the pony that made the noise.

The tiny alicorn looked uncomfortable, muzzle scrunching up as she shuffled around and Dusk blinked in realization when his nose picked up on a rather peculiar scent.

With a quick surge of magic from his horn, the foal strapped to his chest was immediately pulled away and unwrapped from her confines. With practiced ease, the older alicorn unclasped the diaper and checked if his assumption was true, not bothered by the sudden smell of feces and urine that escaped its own confines.

(Umbra's forces, despite being brainwashed, were a rather creative bunch after all and with how long he'd spent with them, he was bound to get used to it.)

He gave the foal a sympathetic gaze before quickly clasping the diaper once more. Yes, it was disgusting, but it wasn't like he had any actual diapers with him. The foal would have to deal with it for the time being... But if she whines more… What's the worst that could happen if I just teleported into Ponyville? He supposed he could just cloud himself and his companion in invisibility or perhaps cast a -notice me not- spell and just waltz inside.

"Erm…" grumbled the tiny alicorn, still shifting in his magic. "Merhmm.."

"Hey hey hey," he started, sharply turning and dropping the alicorn onto his hoof so he could start up the illusion spell. While he could multitask, he'd rather not accidentally mess it up with an infant alicorn nearby. Unicorns or more specifically any active-mana using babies always wanted to break spells, an instinct brought on by how sensitive they were. His horn glowed and an array appeared in front of him. HIs eyes flickered around, his horn occasionally bursting as it added or removed symbols.

What he was doing was a mixture between an illusion and a field spell. He wasn't going to cast the illusion on himself but rather in the space directly around him, so anyone looking at the alicorn duo would see something other than a pair of alicorns.

While he would've originally opted for a simple illusion spell, he'd rather not have the potentially unstable alicorn baby accidentally dispelling it with a mana burst, so he instead settled with what he thought was the best compromise.

Once he had it all fixed, he quickly anchored the spell onto himself and began to speed towards the town, bypassing a group of panicking royal guards, confident in his spell.

He didn't have time to notice that they weren't the usual stallions like the guards in his world, busy as he was in trying to make the foal as comfortable as possible. After all, he'd rather not have his eardrums shattered.


A few moments later, In a shop specifically made for foals, one disguised Dusk Shine was casually waiting in line, eyes watching his foal as she played with another, the other foal’s father in front of him in the line. The alicorn foal’s diaper and accompanying nappy had been changed and she was happily playing around with some kind of toy

He knew that she wouldn't be attached to him most of the time and if she wasn’t attached to him, the spell would falter so he had decided to buy her a pin which he quickly enchanted and then attached to her nappy. The pin served to change her outward appearance, leaving her as a unicorn foal with a whole different coat and mane color but the same eyes as always. Her mane was a light red with pale yellow streaks while her coat was a light amber. He had to safely bind the wings to her body so she wouldn’t break her disguise by flying around but it wasn’t anything harmful. Pegasi often did the same thing to their young if they kept on flying around all the time instead of walking. Something about developing leg muscles and not being lazy.

To sell the deal, he himself looked like a unicorn and just like the filly, his coat and mane had been changed as well. Compared to the foal he was with however, his scheme was the complete opposite with a silver mane and dark blue coat. It was as if they were day and night.

An annoyed glint appeared in his eyes when he saw several other stallions from the store not so subtly stare in his direction before glancing towards the foal. His brow twitched at that and he frowned. Was the spell not working? Did they somehow figure it out? He stepped closer to the disguised alicorn and frowned, the action causing most to turn away. Since it was now his turn to step up to the counter, he broke eye contact so he could place his goods onto the table.

“Mornin’,” A grey pegasus colt from the counter greeted, waving a hoof and quickly counting the goods, which weren’t much. Just a pack of diapers, along with some toys that the foal seemed to like. Dusk’s eyes narrowed a bit. There sure were a lot of colts in here. How… peculiar. “That’ll be ten bits please.” The registrar placed the items into a bag expecting the bits to be placed on the counter.

A burst of magic came from Dusk’s horn and a bag of bits appeared in front of him. He didn’t bother to look at it, already knowing that his magic would get the correct amount. He grabbed the bag and placed it onto his back just as he floated the bits onto the wooden table, his ears flicking up when he heard the registrar comment something.

“Are the wives busy today?”

Wives? A confused look crossed his face. Was the colt across the counter asking if he had wives? Dusk shook his head, a huff escaping his nose. What a joke… the moment he had a wife from this world that’d actually stay around once finding out his background, the day something would invade the land. However instead of the self-deprecating humor obvious in his face, it seemed that the colt thought that he was confirming something else.

“Huh, they must be lazing around. Leaving the colt to do all the work, typical.” The registrar shook his head, leaning on the counter with a hoof.

“You misunderstand, I don't have a wife or wives,” Dusk finally stated, scooping up the disguised alicorn with his magic to plop onto his back as the foal began to scour around the bag, cheering at the sight of a pacifier that he quickly took and cleaned with a spell before giving it back.

The colt immediately shot up, agape at what he just heard and Dusk couldn’t help but feel like he may have said the wrong thing. A flash of dismay flashed on his face before quickly disappearing. I should’ve read up this world’s customs. What a rookie mistake…

When his eyes flicked around him, he noticed that the stallions nearby as well as several others in the rows were staring at him. Did he accidentally insult someone?

“Is there… something wrong with that?” He hesitantly continued. Was what he said a code for something? His body tensed and he wondered if he should really blow his cover right now. He could fight disguised, but with an alicorn foal to the mix… he might leave his magical signature and get tracked to his Dusk persona. His tone turned serious, staring down at the slightly athletic-looking colt. Threats it is then. “If so, please say so to my face.”

The colt backtracked, waving his hooves around in what was supposed to be a ‘placating’ gesture, though it only served to make Dusk wonder if the guy was going to swing a hoof at him. “No no no! It’s nothing like that, it’s just… are you okay? Is everything okay? Do you need help? I noticed just how ragged you looked but I didn’t know if it was rude to say something-”

“What?” Dusk blinked, confused at the different reception.

“What’s your name? I’m Thunderlane!” Thunderlane gave a hoof from over the counter.

“I…” Dusk gave a hoof, hesitantly grabbing it at first before firmly shaking it once he noticed that there wasn’t a hidden blade or anything along those lines. “It’s Sirius, Sirius Skies.” Why was the pegasus so friendly? What was he up too?

“Sounds fancy,” Thunderlane commented as their hooves detached before his eyes narrowed. “Actually, I haven't seen you around before, did you just move in?”

Dusk tilted his head to the side. What he was saying wasn’t exactly a lie and it was vague enough to not be tracked. “Something like that.” He didn’t even wince when the younger alicorn clambered up his mane and started to mess with it. He’d gone through worse after all and he didn’t even react when the foal began to nom on his hair, only poking her with a hoof.

Loud thumping of hooves was heard outside and as Dusk glanced at the window, he could see the Royal Guards still walking around, obviously alert for the alicorn playing in his hair. Welp that was a sign for him to skedaddle. He’d rather not stay in one place.

“Anyway, thank you for the chat.” Dusk ducked his head in gratitude. “But I’d rather not hold up the line.” He began to step away but before he could fully turn away, he was called out.

“Hey listen! I… if you need help or at least someone to talk to, you can come here,” Thunderlane seriously stated, flourishing a hoof towards the shop as Dusk surveyed the establishment. He soon realized that other stallions were nodding as well. “Ponyville strives to help everyone, including single parents like you. It’s going to be hard, but everything is much better with friends,” the pegasus finished with a smile.

(Friends…)

Dusk simply nodded and pushed open the door, not looking back, now deep in thought.

Author's Note:

Really late, months late but i atleast updated!