• Published 19th Dec 2011
  • 1,627 Views, 36 Comments

Bearer of Misfortune - Kitsunin



Discord retells the story of his life, from when he was a colt to the present.

  • ...
1
 36
 1,627

Manehattan

Many thousands of years ago I was just a normal earth colt. I was happy, and my parents, though poor, raised me well. We had little: only a single grungy room with a bed and a chair. The bed was my parents' and the chair was mine. I was quite attached to that chair; it might sound strange that a chair would be something a kid would like, but we had very little else. The chair was hinged in the strangest way; I would often lean so it would go almost completely back, leaving my head upside-down and my hooves to grip the arms. I would pretend it was some sort of flying machine, or just that I was a pegasus flying through the sky: I suppose having the blood rush to my head made it easier.

As much as my parents made our unfortunate position tolerable, it wasn't something that would last. As I began to grow, I became bored with the small amounts of stimulation that my parents and the few things around the house could provide, and I began to wander from our home. We lived in a slum, and there were mostly alleyways nearby. I did not dare go to the main street, although it was nearby, for it was not considered couth for a poor pony to get in the way of the better off. Nonetheless, one day when I was on a side street off from the main one, I found myself confronted by a woman.

She was loud and obnoxious, telling me to go home and wash up, never mind that we didn't even have running water in our home. I told her to get lost, but she somehow took that as a threat. She began screeching, calling for help, even though the worst I had done was give her a nasty look. At the time I was much too young to appear as a threat to anyone, but that didn't stop her from acting as though her life were in danger from me, a colt a third her size. A pair of guards came, responding to her call. They accused me of threatening her, and when I denied that, they said that it was not legal for a colt to be alone in the city anyway. One tried to grab me, but was intercepted by my parents, who jumped in from another alley. They began shouting at the guards, telling them that I hadn't done anything and that I wasn't alone. I thought that was all my parents had done, but they may have been more violent than that: I was young at the time, and picturing my parents as doing anything wrong seemed impossible.

The guards grabbed my parents, angered by what at the time I had thought was only their presence. My parents struggled, but the guards were much stronger. My parents shouted at me, telling me to go home. They said that they would be back soon, and with the guards looking so threatening, I listened. I bolted from the scene, the woman screeching at the guards, saying I was getting away, although the guards already had their hands too full to try to catch me.

At home I sat for a while, waiting. The entire day passed, but my parents didn't come back. A week longer I waited, making trips outside to scavenge food from the nearby dumpsters, yet still my parents didn't come home. I couldn't understand it, they had said they would be back soon, why would they lie about that? Soon, I had lost track of the days, not that I cared too much for time at my age.

Not more than a couple weeks later, someone knocked on the door. I tried to ignore it, but when it didn't stop, I answered. The stallion who was at the door, I recall my parents saying was our landlord, and he let us live where we did. When he saw that I had answered, anxiety appeared on his face. When I asked what was wrong, he said he was sorry, but we couldn't live in this apartment anymore. He told me to wait outside, and when my parents got home, to tell them that they needed to pay the rent.

Well, I waited in front of the house for the rest of the day, unable to think of anything to do but listen to what I had been told. When night came, I realized that there wasn't any reason my parents would show up now if they hadn't before, so I wandered off and found myself a place to sleep behind a dumpster. That was the place I slept for the rest of my stay in Manehattan.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Time passed, and I became older. I was still quite young, but no less than thirteen years of age. I suppose I was lucky to have been able to fend for myself as well as I did, with my parents being gone. I ate little, but enough to survive; things didn't seem to me as miserable as they might sound.

One day, there was a great procession going down the main street. Many ponies were gathered to watch, and it piqued my interest. Normally these would have been exactly the sort of events I would avoid, but something about it seemed so grand that I simply could not stay away. I shoved my way to the front of the crowd, ignoring the ponies who shouted at me for being so disgusting; as I was, naturally, since I could only bathe when it rained.

Leading the procession was a carriage with two Alicorns, apparently the rulers of Equestria; they were quite an impressive sight, with their bright colors and mystically flowing manes. They were not what I found most interesting however, for standing proudly atop the carriage was a much younger Alicorn; their daughter, I presumed. She had the brightest smile I had ever seen; in fact, it was one of the only carefree smiles I had ever seen.

Soon the carriage was passing me; I simply could not let it escape! I pushed through the crowd, trying to catch it again. Shouts of disapproval surrounded me from the ponies I had to shove aside in order to keep up. As I finally came to the carriage's side, I looked up at the filly. She was looking right back at me and giggling. It was such a wonderful feeling, and I wished I had the energy to stay beside her, but I didn't. I took a moment to catch my breath and found that, not only was the carriage getting away, but guards were coming at me. I slipped into an alley, taking advantage of my small size to slip behind a garbage bin.

I waited some time and it seemed that the guards had failed to follow. As the relief wore off, I thought of that carriage, or more specifically, the young mare who rode on top of it. I wished that I had followed further, but now it was gone, and I might never see her again.

In my youthful naivete, I figured that I could just go where they had come from and meet her again. I suppose at the time I just wanted something to aim for, and for once it felt like I could have some control over something.

While I grew up in Manehattan, by this point I had no attachment to it. The only ponies I knew were my parents, and they were gone. Actually, I believe they were part of the reason I left. They were taken by royal guards, so I figured they might have been taken to Canterlot, giving me another unrealistic, but in my young mind, powerful, reason to leave. So it was that I decided to leave my old home completely. I was now going on a journey to the most amazing city in all of Equestria, to visit the royalty that ran all of the land.