• Published 5th Feb 2020
  • 2,972 Views, 142 Comments

The Composer - Smug Anime Girl



Life after ruling for Celestia is boring, almost too boring. However, on one of her strolls, she comes across a lost runaway filly. It quickly becomes clear that there is more to the filly than what meets the eye.

  • ...
5
 142
 2,972

Lunchbox War

Near the end of the school day, Miss Mentor took a few minutes to make an announcement. She wrote on the chalk board and clapped her hooves several times to quiet down the foals.

"Class, we're taking a field trip to Cloudsdale next week. The weather factory is holding a school special tour, and other schools like Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns and School of Friendship will also be making the trip, so be on your best behavior. We'll also be seeing the Wonderbolts perform at the Cloudeseum." Mentor explained as she passed permission slips to the foals. "Get your parents to sign this, bring it to me before Monday or I won't be able to let you on the trip!"

"Yes Missus Mentor!" The class chimed. The bell rang out and there was a big scramble as all the students headed for the door.

"Schuberry!" Luster called. "Hey, can I practice at your house today?"

'i want go over sheet music with you, we won't play piano, probably do during after school' Schuberry explained. Perhaps the most inconvenient thing about her muteness was when she wanted to explain something, she had to stop walking.

"Maybe we should move to the side of the hallway." Luster patiently waited for her to finish and then read over the note. "I'm ok with that."

The two fillies found a sunny spot by the playground and Schuberry placed a stapled packet of sheet music on the ground. 'Read the notes out'

"E4, G4, E4, D4, G4, C4, D4, C4, B3, G3." Luster said in a steady monotone.

'now humm it out' Schuberry ordered. Luster did. 'very good'

"Isn't this just the Friendship Anthem?" Luster asked.

'it was originally a small movement in a symphony by Hoofel, was adapted by Princess Twilight, i think' Schuberry flipped several pages with her wing. 'now this'

Schuberry quizzed Luster on a few more lines before Celestia arrived to pick her up.

'i'll leave this with you ok ok' Schuberry hopped onto Celestia's back. 'try play on piano'

"Yep." Luster stuffed the packet into her saddle bag. "See you next week!"

"So how was school?" Celestia asked. There was a pause as the ancient pony felt the pen on her back before Schuberry reached forward to show her the paper. "Oh, that's good. Friends are always important." She hummed to herself as she playfully kicked a a small pile of leaves. "Nightmare Night is just around the corner, you should consider getting a costume."

'costume?'

"You know, dress up as something that you arent. Monsters are always popular, career costumes are also a safe bet." Celestia looked across the street. "Like that milkmare."

'ponies dress up as milkmares?'

"You could dress up as other things, it doesn't have to be a milkmare." Celestia stopped walking and thought for a moment, Luna's troubled expression after dinner still engraved in her memory. "Why don't we stop at the library? I could show you in a picture book."

'ok let go' Schuberry stood a bit taller as Celestia headed back the other way towards the town center.

It was a peaceful night with a new moon, and Celestia was mopping the floor. She enjoyed the quiet, and hummed some tune to herself.

Schuberry came out of her room holding a small paper slip. 'wanted show you earlier but no time'

Celestia took it and read it over. "Ah, field trip notice. To Cloudsdale..."

Schuberry pointed at a line in notice: 'Students need to bring their own lunch.'

"Do you need me to make your lunch?" Celestia asked.

'yes'

"Ok, what kind of lunch do you want?" Celestia put the mop against the wall and opened the fridge to check on food.

"Don't worry, sister. I've got it. covered" Luna came over. "I'm better at it, anyways."

"Oh, is that so?" Celestia's voice changed. "I'm better than the best."

"Well, I'm even better than that." Luna thinned her eyes.

"Look at you talk, Luna..." Celestia pushed Luna's hoof down. There almost seemed to be thunder in the room. "Pathetic."

"Well, well, well, there seems to be only one way to settle this..." Luna sneered.

"Don't underestimate me, I'm old but I still can hold my own..."

The fridge's open door alarm was beeping and Schuberry had to jump up to shove it closed. 'What's going on now?'

FIELD TRIP LUNCHBOX COMPETITION

THREE ROUND MATCH

Celestia and Luna found themselves sitting behind identical food preparation counters the next day. The kitchen had been redecorated to look like a game show soundstage and there was even a live audience from the assisted living facility in the living room.

"Luna, we don't have the bits to pay for this set." Celestia muttered.

Hayseed, who was sitting behind a table with a 'Judge' banner, leaned forward. "You two will be making a three course meal: an appetizer, a main course, and dessert. Entertain us and our taste buds."

"What even is your character anymore?" Luna furrowed her brow.

"The ingredients are your choice~!" Mayor Mare explained, with 'Commenter' in front of her stand. "Try not to spend too much money...we don't want to strain Celestia's wallet too much."

"Hey!" Celestia grumbled.

"Now...begin!" Hayseed set off a popper. Both alicorns scrambled out of the house.

"They're in good spirits..." Mayor Mare commented. It was probably been the fastest she ever saw Celestia move in her life.

'mom is really excited' Schuberry added.

Luna galloped into the farmers market, rushing back and forth and flapping her wings to help her balance. The bits she dropped on the counters didn't even stop bouncing before she was on to the next. She dashed between the other ponies, causing some to drop their groceries.

Celestia, meanwhile, was in a large chain supermarket. She meandered into the produce aisle and grabbed a brussel sprout, thinking.

"DONE!" The two sisters exclaimed.

"Contestant Luna has a very delicious looking potato and celery soup with herb creme fraiche and those tasty oyster crackers on the side..." Mayor Mare announced. "But Contestant Celestia...just has two garlic bread pieces? Huh?"

Luna snorted. "Throwing in the towel already, sister? There's no comparing our recipes!"

"There is no need to compare." Hayseed said darkly. "The first round goes to...Celestia."

"Huh?!" Luna screeched. "How did my soup lose to a piece of store bought garlic bread?!"

Celestia let out a low 'hmmf,' it almost sounded like a supressed chuckle.

"Luna, a lunchbox is not a royal meal." Mayor Mare explained. "Your soup wouldn't fit within the confines of this box without destroying the other contents!" She held up a small plastic container. "See? No subdivisions between the sections!"

Luna, trembling, looked back at Celestia, who was throwing her a gloating smile.

"I'll win the next round!" She swore. And she did. All three ponies unanimously agreed on Luna's cauliflower bolognese, which also had assorted mushrooms added.

"Huh? Baked egg greens don't work?" Celestia was slightly irritated.

'pasta better' Head Judge Schuberry wrote.

Celestia looked devastated. "But eggs and greens...they're delicious too!"

'pasta better' Schuberry, instead of pointing at the old paper, wrote it again in bold for effect.

It was Luna's turn to celebrate. "Get with the times, old mare."

"Final round." Mayor Mare stared the two down. "Something small and sweet. A fruit could work. It can't be cooked, though."

The two began to leave, Luna trailing behind.

'Auntie' Schuberry wrote. 'why fighting with mom'

"We, well..." Luna realized. "I...I'll be back." She left slowly.

Mayor Mare sighed. "The sisters have a track record of fighting ever so often. I suppose its good to let them vent their frustrations out now instead of...ah, well. They'll tell you when they're ready."

'what mean?' Schuberry asked.

Mayor Mare smiled a half-hearted smile. "Oh, nothing, nothing."

Luna looked around at the farmer's market that she visited earlier.

When Celestia returned, she fed Schuberry a candy apple.

'why do you and autie fight'

Celestia considered this question. "Because we're close." She finally said. "When you love someone, you care for them. Sometimes, that causes friction. But every now and again is fine. She's my sister, but she can be my friend too."

Hayseed yawned. "How long is Luna going to be gone?"

Celestia slumped up against the wall, tapping the floor. When Luna finally returned, Celestia just turned her head to look.

"Alright, third round complete!" Hayseed tilted his head. "Luna, what's that?"

Luna proudly held up a long, lumpy grey object. "He he he, wouldn't you like to know? It's Duskfruit, it grows on the moon."

Celestia reached forward and took a bite. "It's not bad! How did you get it?"

Luna chuckled. "Well, thats a secret~!"

Hayseed shook his head. "Food from other celestial objects are against the rules. Sorry, Contestant Luna. You've been disqualified."

Luna didn't seem very bothered though. In the background, the fruit came to life and began to snap at Celestia with razor sharp teeth. She stuck out her tounge at Schuberry and winked.

"LUNA!" Celestia yelled.