• Published 31st Jan 2020
  • 1,188 Views, 31 Comments

An Unexpected Journey - DRWolf



What was supposed to be a short stroll through the Everfree Forest turned into a bigger adventure then the two little friends hoped for...

  • ...
4
 31
 1,188

Chapter 5

True to his word, Scorpan set off as soon as a wing brace was made to fit Lightning Bliss’s wing. It was clearly fractured in places but the brace he made was of excellent craftsmanship. She whinnied with relief knowing she could walk without it constantly causing her pain rubbing up against her. With that sorted the gargoyle led them through the dark desert and thorny giant vines, avoiding the winds as they went. It wasn’t nearly as bad in the day as it was during the night to Doc’s relief. A few hours later, they came to a road where the vines all but seemed to disappear against the hot murky desert. Admittedly, Doc had some nasty flashbacks when he traveled the same sands with his Master. He wasn’t looking forward to the sun constantly beating down on them, nor the sand getting in between his paws. Bliss, on the other hand, took a deep breath and slowly made her way on the road with Doc following close behind. However, both stopped realizing Scorpan was watching them leave. Biting her lip and choking back a tear, she ran back to Scorpan and leapt into his arms. The large brown winged creature instinctively caught her in surprise and was left stunned in silence as he felt the soft white mare wrap her arms around his neck tightly in a hug.

“Thank you, thank you so very much,” she coughed out as she cried. “If...if this is really goodbye then...I promise I’ll never forget you. For what you did for us. You are a brave creature Scorpan, and I hope one day you might come back and visit Equestria again someday.”

She calmly let go of Scorpan and slid down before heading back to Doc, waving goodbye.

“S-stick to the road,” Scorpan called out to them seeming to rub a tear from his eye as he did. “It will take you to the town. Keep a steady pace and you should be there in an hour!”

“We shall, and fare thee well Scorpan,” Doc called back. “Thank you for everything!”

“To you as well! My friends…” Scorpan waved his hand back, a smile forming around his muzzle.

Doc and Bliss continued to wave back to their new friend till he was a speck on the horizon, then continued forward on their journey down the rocky paved road. Needless to say they quickened their pace with the sun high over their heads beating down on their backs. There was a time where Doc was forced to unbutton the collar of his shirt if only to avoid it from getting covered in sweat and allow his fur to breathe. Lightning, on the other hand, kept her head down and low, sweating herself but keeping a determined pace to make it back to civilization. For once the roles were reversed, whereas Doc was in a better element against the cold, she was better suited to the heat.

Before long though, Bliss could see the truth to Scorpan’s claims, as they spotted the town he spoke of just beyond a hill. It was a filthy, dirty town, clearly showing signs of the battle against the elements, but to their relief they could see fellow creatures they recognize, such as hippogryphs and even other ponies amongst other beings, resembling that of fish, cats, and even lizards. Apparently, this town had been recognized by the Equestrian lands as a stopping point before reaching the Hippogryph kingdoms. Or at least, they assumed so based on the welcome signs, guiding new visitors to their travel destinations. It wasn’t long before they spotted the Sky Ferries, where they paid for tickets to Canterlot, Equestria. Both agreed this was the best deal they could get, as this way they would have some bits saved for refreshments. Later they'd be able to make it to Ponyville through Bliss’s teleportation, now that her magic was recovering as well.

They made their way onto the ferry ramp where Bliss decided to go to the top of the deck. She paid for a few snacks with the extra bits Doc gave her. After which, helping herself to some water they were offering for free, the rainbow alicorn parked herself near the railing to enjoy the view. Doc took on a well-deserved glass of water, and then joined Lightning to relax on their last leg of travel.

“Quite the adventure we both just had,” the arctic wolf sipped his drink peacefully as he made conversation.

“One I care NEVER to do again,” Bliss chuckled back. “At least not with Timber Wolves, a broken wing, and scary deserts, or you losing your vest.”

“Agreed.” He sighed, feeling not fully himself without his signature purple vest. “But at least a few good things came out of it.”

“We made a new friend?” She smiled as she continued staring back into the horizon.

“We also helped a new friend.” He smiled back enjoying the view. “It always feels good when you help another in need.”

“He helped us too, probably when we were at our worst.” The rainbow alicorn turned to her wolven brother. “I guess we helped each other too.”

“I suppose so. While I regret how things may have started out, I wouldn’t wish to change them either.” He turned to her giving a happy smile in return. “It gives us new perspectives, new opportunities, and new ways to help each other.”

“In the end, we did it together.”

“Indeed we did.”

“I’m glad you were with me Doc.”

“I am too Lightning.”

Both beamed at each other, then continued watching the scenery float by underneath them as the ferry made its way to their destination. A few hours later, just as the sun was setting down, the peaks of Canterlot Castle began to poke up over the horizon. They were almost home.

“Do you think…” Lightning spoke softly, a hint of sadness in her voice, “we’ll ever see Scorpan again, Doc?”

“I’d like to think so. One day Lightning. One day.”

-- The End --

Comments ( 4 )

What an amazing story Doc! I enjoy every chapter. Tell Blissy that I think she did a great job on this story and that I love every part of it. And tell Godzillawolf he did a great job on editing it.:pinkiehappy:

Short and Sweet for the final chapter, though I got to wonder, what would old Silver Quill say if he ever found out you two met Scorpan?

That was a beautiful ending.

Full analysis: I never expected Lightning Bliss to write about herself, seeing as she doesn't like others writing about her OC. I was rather intrigued that she would write about getting wounded in such a shocking way, but it added an element of storytelling I never expected of her. Then there was Scorpan, and his interactions with the two travelers. Their interactions were compelling and allowed both main characters to take stances that are unique and wouldn't often be seen. I do admit that I was expecting a bigger climax, but it was a great read, and I'd like to see more work from her in the future.

Login or register to comment