• Published 14th Sep 2012
  • 1,423 Views, 25 Comments

August - 2012 (T.W.G.) - The Writer's Group



Short stories, a lot of authors, and more 'wut' than you can shake a stick at. Is your body ready?

  • ...
2
 25
 1,423

I have known too many pegasi - Honey Mead

Author: Honey Mead
Prompt: How it should have happened.
Title: I have known too many pegasi


“Welcome Mares and Gentlecolts. This is your host Pinkie Pie-”

“And Spike.”

“And we are proud to present the sporting event of the decade! The Iron Pony Competition to end all Iron Pony Competitions. The Clash of the Elements!”

“In the blue corner, weighing in at an even two hundred pounds, The Most Awesome Pony, The winner of the young fliers competition, and The Element of Loyalty, RAAAAIIINBOW DAAAAAASH!”

“And in the red corner, weighing in at three hundred forty eight pounds, The Apple Bucker of the Year, Cow Pony Extraordinar, and The Element of Honesty, AAAAAPPLEJAAAAAACK!”

Rainbow Dash reared up and slashed her rapier through the air a few times, “You seem a decent pony, I hate to kill you.”

Applejack smiled as she straightened her stetson, “You seem a decent pony, I hate to die.”

The two ponies crossed swords and began to circle each other.

“This is a truly extraordinary event here Spike. A competition, not only between two of the best fencers in Equestria, but also between best friends.”

“That’s right Pinkie. But let’s get to the action.”

The two combatants danced and parried each other, striking out at any opening that presented itself. Both were well versed in the art of fencing and neither seemed to be able to gain an upper hoof.

“It looks like AJ is relying on Bonetti’s Defense.”

“It only makes sense with the rocky terrain, Spike. She is probably expecting Dashie to respond with Capa Ferro.”

“But wouldn’t Thibault cancel out Capa Ferro?”

“Only if Dashie hadn’t studied agrippa, which I know she has.”

Suddenly the movement in the ring changed. Applejack began to push hard. Her epee flashing through the air. Rainbow struggled to keep pace, but was quickly losing ground. Dash soon found her back pressed against the fence that marked the edge of the ring. The farm pony leaned down heavily on the cyan pegasus, bending her over the wooden beam.

“Wait a minute,” Spike said, “ I didn’t realize Rainbow was left hoofed?”

“Don’t be silly Spike. Dash isn’t left hoofed.”

AJ stumbled back from the pegasus. As she struggled to maintain her balance on her hind legs Dash tossed her sword into the air and caught it with her right hoof, flourishing it in a show of supreme confidence. The tide of the fight changed in a flash of steel.

The pegasus attacked viciously, her movements too fast for the esteemed announcers to even try and keep up.

Applejack soon found herself in the same position that she had had Dash in only moments before.

“That was SO AWESOME!”

“But, Spike, AJ isn’t left hoofed either.”

Rainbow flew backwards from the force of the farm pony’s buck. As she recovered she saw that her opponent had likewise switched hooves. The air was filled with the sounds of clashing metal as the two ponies became a blur of hooves and steel.

“LOOK OUT!”

A glint of steel flew through the air, the epee impaling itself into the wood not three inches from Spike’s head. He stared at the wobbling rapier for a moment before feinting.

“That’s not fair! You can’t use wings!”