• Published 19th Aug 2012
  • 1,149 Views, 20 Comments

Retexo - Xz Hacker



A continuation of my story Commutatus

  • ...
0
 20
 1,149

Chapter Two: “The Debates”

Chapter Two: “The Debates”

After Dr. Patella had left, Luna was the first to speak, “sister,” she said looking at Celestia, “we think it would only be fair to have Applejack take part in these deliberations.”

Celestia stared at Luna for a moment, then looked towards Applejack, and sighed, “very well, but let us get to work immediately, action needs to be taken.”

Luna nodded in agreement, “indeed we find this development as disturbing as thou dear sister, and what do thou think dear Applejack?”

Applejack shook her head, “ah'm not quite sure what to make of it honestly, I don't think it would be a good idea to just out right test her theory on someone, but...” Applejack trailed off.

Celestia nodded, seemingly in agreement, “yes, we can't have anyone else go through the change, but we need some way to be sure of this C1's affects, and just how contagious it may be.”

Luna ventured a solution, “it sounded as if Dr. Patella knew that a virologist could easily tell what this substance did, as well as if it could spread, why do we not simply take it to one?”

Celestia looked at her sister, “no, no, who knows what an outsider could do with information like this, it's a wonder that Patella didn't inject herself with the substance to test it. Can you imagine the mayhem if this got out of hoof?”

Celestia was loosing her normal cool again, and Luna was seeing her sisters point. Applejack decided to state the obvious, “but what other choice do we got? There ain't any other way to test if C1 is the cause of my condition.”

Celestia and Luna both looked at her, Celestia nodded and said, “you may be right, although I still don't like it. I'm afraid this may get out of hand if not properly controlled. I don't need to tell you how much devastation someone with our power can cause.”

Luna and Applejack nodded in agreement, Applejack perked up, “well what if me and Twilight just watched what the virologist did, and ,made sure he didn't do nuthin funny?”

Celestia eyed Applejack, “you may be on to something, however I know you do not know enough to adequately monitor the work, and I'm not sure if Twilight does.”

Luna chimed in, “we know that Twilight is trustworthy. We think it would be a good idea to inform her of the situation, and ask if she believes she is up to the task.”

Celestia nodded, “yes that sounds like a plan.” She walked over to the door and opened it, “guards please locate Twilight and tell her she is urgently needed in the throne room.”

The guards sought out Twilight and told her she was needed in the throne room, she rushed there, and was briefly described the situation and asked if she believed she was able to oversee the examination of the C1.

“To be honest princess I'm not entirely sure. I know some about viruses and their replication, but as far as determining how they affect living matter, I don't think I'm educated nearly enough to handle this.”

Celestia looked grim, “I was afraid of that, it appears we have no choice but to trust an outsider with this information. However I still wish you would oversee the research Twilight, as it may discourage any ill intentions that may arise if the virologist believes he is being supervised.”

Twilight nodded, “of course, I'll do my best princess.”

“I know you will, and thank you.”

Luna then asked, “sister have you forgotten of the previous sample already taken?”

Celestia shook her head, “no, that will not be an issue, Twilight and Applejack will get that from Dr. Patella, and will deliver to whomever she believes to be the most suitable candidate for its analysis. Hopefully we can avoid mentioning were the blood came from, and what we believe it to do. Twilight, please do not mention to anyone what C1 is, or how we believe it to work, even the virologist that Dr. Patella sends you to. It is of the utmost importance that no one is aware of this. If the virologist inquires as to the origin, inform him that that information is under royal protection. Also inform Dr. Patella I wish for her to supervise the analysis with you, and of the secrecy that must be maintained.”

Twilight, though worried about the extreme precautions Celestia was implementing, said, “you can count on me.”

Applejack and Twilight then set off to Dr. Patellas office, not very far from the castle. Once inside they explained the entire situation and what they had been ordered to do. Dr. Patella looked incredibly worried, “oh this is bad, I don't think this is a good idea.”

Twilight looked at her sternly, “It doesn't matter, we have been ordered to do this, we need to get this C1 analyzed immediately.”

“There isn't a single member of the scientific community I trust, and Commutatus one is extremely dangerous.”

Applejack stepped forward, “we know that, but this is the best solution me and the princesses could come up with, there is no other way.”

“OK, OK,” Dr. Patella said as she slowly walked to a safe. She opened it and pulled out a small vile of blood. “This is all of the sample I have left, I used most of it on standard tests, but this should be more than enough. I suppose if we seriously need someone else for this, then the only person I could think of is Dr. Aden, although that guy creeps me out.”

“Where does he work,” Twilight asked.

Dr. Patella took Twilight and Applejack to Dr. Aden's office. Once inside they began to speak with the virologist.

“Doctor, we are here on royal business, it is of the utmost urgency you analyze the compound that has been mixed in with this blood sample,” Twilight said as she levitated the vile to the small male Unicorn, with a brown coat, dark brown mane, and a cutie mark that appeared to be a dark ball with protrusions.

Dr. Aden frowned and telepathically held the vile in front of him, “and what pray tell am I to be analyzing it for,” he asked with an irritating, and irritated tone.

Dr. Patella stepped up, “I recently came across a substance I have dubbed Commutatus one or C1. It appears to be viral in nature, and by royal order we need you to look at it and determine its affects and whether or not you think it is contagious in any way. We will be supervising your work as this is of high importance and urgency.”

Even more annoyed, he looked at Dr. Patella with disdain, “I'm sorry did you say supervise? Are any of you actually qualified to work with my equipment, or in my field of research?”

Getting quite irritated herself Applejack looked him strait in the eyes and angrily said, “look are you going to help us or not?”

Straightening up a bit at getting stared down by an angry alicorn he said, “of course I will help, just try and stay out of my way.”

He began his work almost immediately, looking at the blood sample through a magnification device. He stared at the C1 for several hours until finally he said, “this C1 as you call it seems to be nothing more than a common cold variant that is slightly aggressive.”

“Ah haven't felt sick,” Applejack said a little suspiciously.

Twilight shot Applejack a look, as Applejack just gave away the origin of the sample.

“Of course not,” Dr. Aden said, completely ignoring the look Twilight had given Applejack, as he threw the slide that was holding the blood sample he had been viewing in the trash, “ever since the elements transformed you into an alicorn, I'd be surprised to learn you were ever sick. Each type of pony has a natural resistance to the effects of certain types of illness. Earth ponies have a natural tolerance to anything that heavily affects the stomach or liver, Pegasus have a high tolerance to any heat or cold related illness, such as the common cold, or the flu. Finally, Unicorns have a tendency to not catch anything that would affect their concentration, such as anything that would cause them to be tired. Alicorns on the other hand benefit from all these natural resistances, and then some. Old studies done on the princesses back when they were more curious about their own physiology indicated that they were almost impervious to illness, and in most cases injury.”

Applejack was still stuck on how he knew about the elements turning her into an alicorn. “How'd you know about the elements and all that?”

“Please, as if the entire scientific community wasn't in an uproar over you, no one was spared Patella's 'I found the first pony to become an alicorn' speech.”

Applejack and Twilight turned and stared at Dr. Patella, who sheepishly bowed her head, “well... it was the find of the century, and that WAS before I was told not to tell any one by Celestia.”

Dr. Aden levitated the vile to Twilight, “you can have that back it is worthless, I suppose you should burn it if you are worried about any one catching that strain of the cold, as it does seem aggressive, but it should be out of her system in a month or two, assuming that her system even bothers fighting it.”

Dr. Patella looked simultaneously relieved and disappointed at this news. Twilight and Applejack seemed satisfied that the situation was resolved, and went back to the castle to report the news to Celestia. She seemed relieved to here the news, and agreed to the destroying of the blood sample.