• Published 19th Aug 2012
  • 1,151 Views, 20 Comments

Retexo - Xz Hacker



A continuation of my story Commutatus

  • ...
0
 20
 1,151

Chapter One: “Settling Down”

{Authors Notes: Please read part one of this story before reading this as you will be extremely confused if you don't. This is a direct continuation of my story Commutatus, (Link) but the writing style and mood is significantly different enough to warrant uploading them as separate stories. I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience caused by this.}

Chapter One: “Settling Down”

One month had passed since Applejack the alicorn, and all of her friends and family had moved to Canterlot, but to Applejack it seemed only a matter of days. The activity had been almost nonstop, and she had barely anytime to herself. Rainbow Dash was always wanting to compare flight maneuvers and their potential speed. Twilight was always asking for help on incredibly complicated spells. Pinky Pie was as usual always trying to throw a party for someone or something. Rarity was off in her own fantasy, living her dream. Fluttershy was always attending to the animals in the royal garden, as they had finally warmed up to her. The Cutie Mark Crusaders had been up to all kinds of mischief, but hadn't seriously hurt anyone, other than themselves, yet. Celestia seemed a considerable deal more relaxed having Applejack under such close supervision, but Luna seemed to want nothing more than to speak at length with Applejack about philosophy and her opinions on the order of things.

During all the madness of settling in, Applejack found herself more and more grateful for her ability to fly, and after the first two weeks, teleport. (A trick she finally asked Twilight about.) Applejack had begun to fly, or teleport, to the top of the castle regularly to escape the constant madness that was everyone settling in. At first it was merely to escape, but it had slowly began to be about the air and looking at the sky, day or night.

One night she was looking at the stars when Luna spotted her and flew up to talk. “Sister, are you enjoying the night sky,” Luna asked merrily, as she approached Applejack on the castle's roof and landed.

“Yeah, it's nice to look at you know?”

“Indeed, we have spent many a night staring off into the endlessness of space. That was part of the reason we once were so angry with our subjects, as it seemed as if none of them appreciated the beauty of our night sky. We are glad to see you find it as charming as us.”

Applejack turned her gaze slowly from the night sky to Luna, “Luna, tell me, how does Celestia really feel about me?”

Luna stared for a moment, she had not expected such a direct question. Their relationship had evolved quite rapidly over the last month, and most of the formality Applejack had held was gone, but the forwardness of the question startled Luna. “Well, we, uh.”

Applejack turned her head back to the sky, “it's fine Luna, ah shouldn'ta asked you that, I'm sorry.”

Luna shook her head, “No no, we are sorry, it's just,” she stared for a moment, “our sister has been very on edge about this situation. We feel like she is merely worried for the sake of her subjects, and wishes to protect them from any harm.”

Applejack looked back at Luna curiously, “ah promised no more Rainbooms, ah have Twilight's help in figuring out mah magic, ah don't aim to hurt no one, why does Celestia think I mean any harm?”

Luna looked empathetic, “It is not that sister believes you to be a direct threat, but you need to realize the implications of thine state. You are the first of your kind, you became like us, something no one has ever done before, this may herald a new age, and with change comes strife. Sister merely wants to manage whatever may come of your condition.”

“What could happen, ah mean, you don't plan to use the elements on any one else to do this to them do ya?”

“Never,” Luna snapped, appalled by the idea, but she immediately lightened up again, “we would never intentionally force someone into a burden such as this.”

Applejack still didn't understand what could possibly happen that would cause anyone harm. Luna bid Applejack farewell and continued on her nightly patrol, while Applejack stayed staring at the night sky.

The next morning Applejack found herself facing down Twilight, Dr. Patella, and a very large syringe. Applejack moved back away from them, “why the hay do you need mah blood?”

Twilight moved slowly forward, “come on AJ, you know we are only trying to help you, we just need to make sure you are well, and blood work is standard procedure.”

“Ah feel fine,” Applejack protested, as she backed up to the wall of her bedroom.

“I know, but we need to make sure you're alright,” Twilight said as she inched forward with the syringe hovering slightly in front of her.

“Ah'm warning you, stay back!”

Twilight lunged with the syringe and found herself stabbing it into the wall moments after Applejack teleported away.

“Now what,” Dr. Patella asked annoyed.

Twilight closed her eyes for a moment, then teleported to the roof next to Applejack. She yelled “got ya,” and lunged once more, this time Applejack jumped away and began to backwing away from Twilight.

Applejack laughed a little, “try and get me now.”

Twilight got an angry look and began to say something when she lost her footing and began to slip, she yelled a little as she began to fall. Applejack, never missing a beat, swooped down and grabbed her mid fall. They slowly made there way to the ground and Applejack, still holding Twilight, looked down and asked, “you alright sugar cube?”

Twilight looked up at her said “thanks AJ.”

Applejack smiled, “no problem Twi...” she was interrupted by a sharp sting in her leg she was holding Twilight with, and Twilight yelling “gotcha!”

“Ow,” Applejack protested as she dropped Twilight to the ground.

“Don't be a baby,” Twilight said as she smiled and looked at the small, but more than sufficient blood sample she had just collected.

“Ah hate needles,” Applejack said vehemently as she rubbed her arm.

The rest of the day went smoothly, and without anymore needles.

The next day Dr. Patella asked Applejack and the Princesses to meet her in private.

Dr. Patella looked around nervously as the three Alicorns walked into the room. She saw the guards following them in and got wide eyed. “What are they doing? They need to leave, this is very important, only you can hear.”

Taken aback at the severity of her tone, and the almost paranoid look in her eyes, Celestia hesitantly nodded for the guards to leave, and they proceeded to leave the four alone in the throne room.

Looking around for anymore intruders, Dr. Patella slowly grew ever so slightly more relaxed upon seeing they seemed alone. She looked up at them and took a deep breath before beginning. “Yesterday I obtained a blood sample from Applejack here,” Applejack glared angrily at the word obtained. Unfazed Dr. Patella continued, “at first I was just going to merely run standard tests, just see if she was healthy, then I got curious as to how her DNA compared to that of normal Ponies, so I started taking a close look. Well at first I was stunned to see what I saw, but well, it was incredible.”

Celestia was looking uneasy about this, “Doctor please, the point?”

Dr. Patella seemed to snap back from the awe of whatever she had seen. “Yes of course, where was I? Right, looking at her DNA through incredibly powerful magnification devices, I noticed a rather peculiar thing. Her DNA was that of your average Earth Pony, however there were small molecules attached to her DNA that seems to be the cause of her,” Dr. Patella paused, she was hesitant to use the only word she knew to describe Applejack's condition, “erm... mutation.”

Celestia seemed annoyed, “Doctor I fail to see why this is of so much importance. How does it affect the situation any?”

Dr. Patella looked quite frustrated with her lack of understanding, “these molecules, they are somewhat viral, they cause this mutation, and cause the body to begin replicating these molecules, that's why Applejack's changes quickened in pace.”

Celestia looked panicked, “VIRAL,” she yelled, “you mean others could get it?!”

Dr. Patella got pale, and shushed her, “Please princess, calm down.”

Celestia settled down a bit. But Luna was beginning to get worried as well, “Doctor we need to know, do you mean to say it is contagious?”

Dr. Patella frowned, “not like a cold, no, however contact with her blood may cause the same reaction to take place in anyone.”

Luna looked gravely at Applejack, “and you are absolutely sure of this fact?”

Dr. Patella shook her head, “no, I did drop a bit of my blood into a batch of hers to see if the molecules would bond, they seemed to take to my blood as well as hers, however, I'm no virologist. I cannot be entirely sure if the Alicorn effect can be replicated, or even if the C1 molecules are actually responsible for her change.”

Applejack looked questioningly at Dr. Patella, “C1?”

“My apologies, that is the abbreviation of the name I have given these molecules, Commutatus one molecules.”

Ignoring the conversation about the names of the molecules in question Celestia interrupted, “how can we make sure of what you believe?”

Dr. Patella once again looked incredibly paranoid, “princess with all due respect, I don't think anyone should be told about this, this could be very very dangerous.”

Celestia glared, “I am quite aware of that, but that is the very reason why we must understand what we are dealing with, no Doctor I will not ask again, how can we be sure?”

“Well there are two options, the first is to out right test our hypothesis, and inject a small amount of Applejack's blood into someone,” Celestia glared disapprovingly, “or... we could get a virologist to take a look at what we have found.”

Celestia looked extremely displeased, “there are no other options?”

“I'm sorry princess, I simply do not have the knowledge to adequately assess the affects and the contagiousness of C1.”

Celestia looked around at everyone, “until we can render a decision, I want no one to tell a soul about what was discussed here today, my sister and I will decide on what to do shortly, until then,” she looked at Dr. Patella, “you keep that blood sample locked up and secure while,” she turned to Applejack, “you do your best to avoid any injury.”