• Published 24th Feb 2020
  • 18,843 Views, 4,041 Comments

Spike The Brony Dragon - red4567



A human in Spike's body will do whatever he can to change the future for the better.

  • ...
128
 4,041
 18,843

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 39 (Ponyville Confidential and A Canterlot Wedding)

One day, while I was eating at a cafe, I overheard Rarity having a conversation with Sweetie Belle.

“So I’ve heard you and your friends were working for the Foal Free Press,” Rarity said to Sweetie Belle. “That must be exciting.”

“Not anymore,” Sweetie Belle said. “The school shut it down until further notice.”

“What? So soon?”

“Yeah. After that story about Snips and Snails, Diamond Tiara (the editor-in-chief ) wanted to do a gossip column about other ponies’ private lives. But I think one of the students working there didn’t like that idea. They must’ve told Miss Cheerilee right after that. She had to fire Diamond Tiara and put the newsprinting on hold for a while.”

“That’s terrible.”

“Yeah. Applebloom, Scootaloo, and I took it as a sign that journalism may not be for us, so we quitted.”

“Well, it was good that you did. You should never invade somepony’s privacy. Most ponies keep things private for a reason and can get devastated if their secrets are revealed. It would be like if I told all of Equestria who you had a crush on.”

“Rarity! No!”

“See? What that filly or colt did was the right thing. While the Foal Free Press would not be printing for a while, it would be better than having everypony dislike it for giving out confidential information.”

Sweetie Belle sighed. “I guess you’re right.”

Rarity and Sweetie Belle then walked away.

“Say, who was the pony who told Cheerilee?” Rarity asked. “Do you know?”

“Nah. Cheerilee said it was an anonymous tip, whatever that means,” Sweetie Belle replied. “I wish I knew who the pony was so I could thank them.”

Oh, it wasn’t a pony, Sweetie.

I chuckled as I took a sip of my coffee and read a different kind of newspaper.


“Everything all set up for the picnic?” Twilight asked.

“Yep. Let’s go,” I replied.

Twilight and I were gonna have a picnic with the rest of the girls. For some reason, this was all too familiar.

“It’s been a while since we’ve all went together for a picnic,” Twilight said. “The weather’s been so perfect recently. I really got to hand it to the weather team.”

As we headed to the fields, I looked up at the mountains. That’s when I noticed something something off about Canterlot.

“Hey, Twilight,” I said. “What’s going on over at Canterlot?”

I pointed to the city on the mountains. It was covered in a giant pink dome that looked like it was trapped in a bubble gum balloon.

“I...don’t know, Spike,” Twilight replied. “We’ll have to ask Princess Celestia after we’re done. I hope it’s nothing serious.”

It was then I realized the episode I’ve been waiting for has arrived: “A Canterlot Wedding.” I knew it was only a matter of time.

By the time we arrived, the girls were already there setting up everything. As we ate and socialized, I thought about my plan.

All I gotta do is help Twilight collect evidence and prove that Cadance is a changeling. If that doesn’t work, then I would have to take matters into my own hands. I’ll bring that magic inhibitor ring and some rope with me just in case things go south.

“Spike? Are you okay, Spike?” Fluttershy asked.

“Huh? What?” I asked.

“You looked like you were staring off into space. Twilight told me you would sometimes do that, but I want to know if everything's alright.”

“I’m fine, Fluttershy. Thanks for caring for me. It’s nothing really. I just—hurk!”

“Spike?!”

“What’s goin’ on?” Applejack asked.

I held up a finger.

“Are you alright, Spike?” Twilight asked.

Blech!!

Not one, but two scrolls came out of my mouth in a fiery burp. I coughed a bit.

“I wished the princess would warn me before she sends a twofer,” I said. I picked up one of them and read it. “’Princess Celestia cordially invites you to the wedding of Princess Mi Amore Cadenza and Shining Armor. The wedding will take place in...’ Wait, Shining Armor?!”

“Give me that!” Twilight snatched the invitation from my hands and read it. “There’s no way that...oh, dear Celestia!”

“What is it, Twi?” Rainbow Dash asked. “Some stallion you knew?”

“More than that,” I replied. “He’s our brother. I guess we didn’t mention it to you girls yet.”

“Your brother's getting married?” Applejack asked. “Congratulations, Twilight! That's great news!”

“Yeah, great news,” Twilight sarcastically said. “That I just got from a wedding invitation! Not from my brother, but from a piece of paper! Thanks a lot, Shining Armor. I mean, really, he couldn't tell me personally?” Twilight then grabbed a sandwich like in the show. “‘Hey, Twilight, just thought you should know I'm making a really big decision that changes everything. Oh, never mind, you'll hear about it when you get the invitation.’ Princess Mi Amore Cadenza? Who in the hoof is that?!”

“Um, Twilight? Are you okay?” Fluttershy asked.

Twilight sighed. “Sorry, it's just that Shining Armor and I have always been so close. He's my BBBFF.”

“That means ‘Big Brother Best Friend Forever,’” I whispered to the girls.

“Before I came here and learned the importance of friendship, Shining Armor was the only pony I ever really accepted as a friend besides Spike.”

That’s when Twilight started singing. As much as I enjoyed her “BBBFF” song, the lack of background music made it feel awkward.

“Isn’t it weird how we always seem to sing at random times?” I whispered as Twilight continued singing. “Especially without any music?”

“Just roll with it, Spike,” Pinkie whispered back.

After Twilight finished singing (We kinda joined in for a bit), she hung her head.

Applejack said, “As one of your PFF's (Pony Friends Forever), I wanna tell you that I think your brother sounds like a real good guy.”

“He is pretty special,” Twilight said. “I mean, they don't let just anypony be captain of the Royal Guard.”

“So what does the other scroll say?” Pinkie asked.

I quickly grabbed the other scroll and opened it. Princess Celestia assigned the girls and I different roles. Fluttershy was to provide music with her birds, Pinkie was to host the reception, Applejack was to cater the reception, Rainbow Dash was to perform a Sonic Rainboom, Rarity was to design the dresses, I was to host the bachelor party, and Twilight was to make sure everything would go as planned.

That’s when Rarity’s face lit up. “So let me get this straight. We're helping out with the wedding of not only a princess, but a captain of the Royal Guard?!”

“I guess we are,” Twilight said.

Rarity fainted as the rest of us were excited for the upcoming wedding.


I quickly packed up everything I needed just in case. I grabbed the ring, some rope, a piece of cloth, a collapsible telescope, and a notebook. I then hurried to the station and hopped on the train with the rest of the girls.

“A sonic rainboom? At a wedding?!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed. “Can you say ‘best wedding ever’?!”

“BEST WEDDING EVER!!” Pinkie shouted.

As we all talked about what we were going to do at the wedding, Twilight sat and stared out the window. It was clear something was on her mind, and I knew what that something was.

“Why the long face, sugarcube?” Applejack asked.

“I'm just thinking about Shining Armor,” Twilight replied. “Ever since I moved to Ponyville, we've been seeing each other less and less. And now that he's starting a new family with this ‘Princess Mi Amore Ca-whatshername’, we'll probably never see each other.”

“Don’t be like that, Twilight,” I said. “Sure, he’s been skimping on contacting us these past few days, but being the captain of the guards isn’t an idle job, you know. I’m sure that he’ll still come once a moon to visit us.”

“Well, he couldn't seem to make time to tell me he was getting married. What does that tell you?”

When the train approached Canterlot, the giant pink shield became more obvious. We were all able to get past the barrier, but most of us were confused as to why such a thing was present. As we arrived at the station, we saw a plethora of pony guards.

“Whoa, what's with all the guards?” Rainbow asked as we got off the train.

“I'm sure they're just taking the necessary precautions,” Rarity said. “Royal weddings do bring out the strangest ponies.”

“Ah-CHOOO!!” Pinkie sneezed out some confetti.

“Ain't that the truth?” I asked.

“Now, let's get going!” Rarity commanded. “We've got work to do!”

“And you've got a big brother to go congratulate,” Applejack said to Twilight.

Twilight groaned, “Yeah. Congratulate. And then give him a piece of my mind.

I decided to follow Twilight before setting up the bachelor party. Just as I was about to catch up, I was stopped by a few guards.

“Hold it!” One of the guards barked. “We need to check your bag, kid.”

I sighed and took it off. I handed it to the guards, and they took out everything I had. When they took out the ring, they gave me a concerning look.

“It’s just jewelry,” I said. “What? Can’t a guy wear a ring? Mares shouldn’t be the only ones covered in gems.”

The guards shrugged and put everything back into my bag. After they handed it to me, I thanked them and hurried to find Twilight and Shining Armor. I was able to find them on a nearby bridge.

“Staying focused on the task at hand has been my top priority,” Shining Armor said. “I understand—Oh, hey! Spike! Good to see you again.” He quickly approached me and gave me a noogie. “Man, look how you’ve grown. I almost mistook you for another dragon.”

“Heh. Very funny,” I said. “My height hasn’t changed since I left...I think.”

“Okay, okay, I get it. You've got a really important job protecting all of Canterlot with a force field only you can conjure up,” Twilight said. “But still, how could you not tell us about something as big as your wedding? Are we not that important to you any more?”

“Hey. You guys are my siblings,” Shining Armor said. “Of course you're important to me. But I'd understand if you didn't want to be my best mare or ring bearer now.”

That’s when Twilight’s moping vanished.

“We’d be honored!” Twilight exclaimed. “But I'm still pretty ticked you're marrying somepony I don't even know! When did you even meet this ‘Princess Mi Amore Cadenza’?”

“Now that I think about it, the name sounds familiar,” I said.

“It should. Princess Mi Amore Cadenza is Cadance, your old foalsitter,” Shining Armor said.

Twilight and I were excited to hear that. Actually, Twilight was more excited than I was, since I already knew. Cadance used to be Twilight and my babysitter. Actually, it was more like past Spike’s babysitter, since I only came to this world during Nightmare Moon’s return.

“How many alicorns can just spread love wherever they go? I only know of one!” Twilight squealed. “And you're marrying her!”

Twilight and I hopped around in joy. Twilight singsonged about Shining marrying Cadance.

“I hope I'm not interrupting anything important,” a voice called out.

We turned around to see a tall, pink alicorn standing before us. This was Princess Cadance, or to be more accurate, a changeling pretending to be Cadance.

“Cadance!” Twilight called out. She quickly approached her and did that special handshake. “Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake! Clap your hooves and do a little shake!”

“What are you doing?” Cadance asked confusingly.

“Cadance, it's me: Twilight!”

“Uh-huh.”

“Hold on,” I said. “Something’s not right.”

Cadance raised her eyebrows and took a step back. “What do you mean?”

I squinted. “I can’t help but notice something’s off about you, Cadance.”

Cadance stared at me. I bet inside, she was wondering how I figured out she was a changeling so soon..

“Did you use a new eyeshadow brand? It looks like the one Rarity uses,” I said. I decided to play dumb and make her feel relieved for now.

“Oh. Yes...I did,” Cadance replied. “You have impeccable eyesight, child.”

“Well, I've gotta get back to my station,” Shining said, “but Cadance will be checking in with all of you to see how things are going. I think I speak for both of us when I say we couldn't be more excited to have you here. Right, dear?”

“Absolutely,” Cadance replied.

“Well, we'll let you get to it.” Shining Armor and Cadance walked off.

Twilight shook her head. “Do you ever get the feeling Cadence is up to something?”

“Yeah, I kinda do,” I replied. “You’d think she’d be more enthusiastic about seeing us. Even Shining Armor dropped his professionalism when he met us.” I turned to Twilight. “I’ll try to get the bachelor party set up. I’ll meet up with you when I finish preparing everything. In the meantime, try to pick up on any clues that might prove Cadance may not be the pony who she says she is. After all, it’s best to provide evidence to back up your claim.”

Twilight nodded. “I’ll be sure to do so.”

“Great.” I ran to the castle. “I’ll see you in a—”

Bam!!

I smacked right into a table inside the tower. A vase suddenly fell off.

“Spike! Heads up!” Twilight quickly caught the vase right before it hit me. “That was close. Are you alright?”

“Yeah, I’m fine,” I said as I rubbed my nose.

“You should be more careful, Spike,” Twilight said as she put the vase back. “Those vases are thick, genuine porcelain.”

“Sorry about that. But I thought Celestia had dozens of these.”

“Yes, but I’m more concerned about you. If one of those vases smashed upon your head, you could get knocked unconscious or suffer a concussion.”

“Thanks for the advice,” I said. “I’ll see you later.”

As I hurried to the castle, I took note of what happened earlier with Cadance and us.

So Cadance didn’t bother to do the secret handshake. She would have at least been familiar with it, but she wasn’t.


I obtained some information about when and where the bachelor party was going to be held and how many ponies were going to show up. I had a feeling I wasn’t going to set this party up alone, so I went to find Pinkie Pie.

I found her in the hall where she was setting up the wedding. Already the decorations were up, so I assumed she used her party cannon. The reception hall was decorated in streamers and balloons. Confetti was placed all over the floor like rose petals. I also noticed a few games spread out. I would’ve questioned it, but this was Pinkie Pie’s doing after all.

“Hey, Pinkie Pie,” I greeted. “I see that the decor is coming up nicely.”

“Thanks, Spike,” Pinkie said. “How’s your party going?”

“Well, at least a dozen ponies are going to show up tonight at Shining Armor’s home,” I said. “Do you think you can help me decorate the place when you're done?”

“I’ll do you better. I’ll decorate the place right now! It’s super duper easy with my party cannon! Just let me calibrate it.” Pinkie hurried to her cannon and turned a knob. “Let’s see...wedding...birthday party...funeral...season finale...Aha! Bachelor party! I knew I put that setting here.”

“Okay, great! Let me give you the address...”

I gave Pinkie Pie a piece of paper with Shining Armor’s address. She quickly grabbed it and the party cannon and left the castle.

Now I should see what Twilight’s up to.

I started with the royal kitchen, and by sheer luck, Twilight was there with Applejack. She just finished checking off the list of what foods to prepare.

“Spike? What in tarnation are you doing here?” Applejack asked. “I thought you were settin’ up Shining Armor’s stag party?”

“I am. I just thought I came by to get some refreshments. I think like maybe some chips and soda. Nothing too heavy.” I then looked at the figures on the counter. “Hey, are those the cake models? They look just like the real bride and groom.”

That’s when the real bride came in.

“Hiya, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza. You come to check out what's on the menu for your big day?” Applejack asked.

“I have,” Cadance replied.

Applejack handed her an apple fritter. Cadance’s horn lit up in a green light as she bit into the fritter.

“Delicious! I love-love-love them,” Cadance said.

“Still like those, huh?” I asked.

Cadance cleared her throat. “Of course, little one. I‘ve had the same tastes since I was just a unicorn.”

“Aw, shucks,” Applejack said as she handed Cadance a bag. “Why don't you take a few to go? I know how you brides can be. So busy, you forget to get a little somethin' in your belly.”

Cadance accepted the treats, but just like in the show, she threw them out behind everypony’s back. Twilight and I were the only ones who noticed.

“We’ll send some soda and snacks to Shining Armor’s place in a jiffy, Spike,” Applejack said.

“Great, thanks,” I said.


Later that night, we all ate at a nearby cafe. Just like in the show, Twilight arrived with an annoyed look on her face.

“Bet I can guess what you're all thinking,” Twilight said. “Cadance is the absolute worst bride-to-be ever.”

“Twilight, whatever are you talking about?” Rarity asked. “Cadance is an absolute gem!”

“Rarity, she was so demanding!”

“Well, of course she is. Why shouldn't she expect the very best on her wedding day?”

“Don’t you think this is a little concerning?” I asked. “I mean, I haven’t known Cadance as much as Twilight, but even I think there’s something up. She’s normally the patient and mellow type. Even on her wedding day she wouldn’t pull a Twilight.”

“Weddings can really change a pony, darling.” Rarity sipped her drink.

“Applejack, did you know that after she told you how much she just 'love-love-loved' your hors d'oeuvres, she threw them in the trash?” Twilight asked.

“Aw, she was probably just tryin’ to spare my feelin's,” Applejack said.

“But throwing away the bag in the same room you were in?” I asked. “She could’ve waited until she found a different trash can much further away. We’re being serious. There is no way for Cadance to act so bratty, wedding day or not. Take Twilight’s and my word for it. She didn’t become the best babysitter by acting entitled and rude.”

“The princess is about to get married,” Rarity said. “I'm sure any negative behavior she might be displaying is simply the result of nerves.”

“Seriously, girls. Who are you gonna trust? Your friend who’ve you known for almost a year, or some random pink alicorn that you’ve just met?”

The girls sans Twilight thought about it. I never sighed so heavily.

“Sweet Celestia, you ponies are as dumb as rocks!”

“Metamorphic, igneous, or sedimentary?” Pinkie asked.

“Ignoranteous!”

“How dare you! I’ll have you know that’s the smartest type of rock. Just ask my older sister and her pet.”

“Ugh! This is getting nowhere!” Twilight stormed off.

I quickly hopped off my seat and followed her.

“Don’t talk to me,” Twilight growled. “I need to be alone.”

“Okay, then.” I shrugged. “Guess I’ll have to keep some of the evidence to myself.”

Twilight’s ears perked up. “What evidence?”

“I don’t know if it’s much, but there was something off about what Cadance said when she was in the kitchen earlier.” I pulled out the Cadance cake model. “‘I‘ve had the same tastes since I was just a unicorn.’”

“I don’t see how that helps, Spike. It’s true that Cadance always liked the same foods since she was a...” Twilight’s eyes widened in realization.

“I may have been a baby, but wasn’t Cadance a pegasus before she became an alicorn?”

“She was!”

“So why did she mention she was a unicorn? Even a pony with amnesia would still remember what species they used to be before turning into an alicorn. Cadance couldn’t possibly forget that she was a pegasus.”

Twilight quickly pulled out her own notebook and wrote it down. “This will be useful!”

“Yeah, but I don’t think it’ll be enough. Cadance might say it was a slip of the tongue or something. We’ll have to find more evidence.”

“What about Shining’s bachelor party? Maybe you can get info from him or the other guests.”

“I’ll try that. Actually, I should get there now! It’s starting soon!”

I quickly said goodbye to Twilight and headed to Shining Armor’s apartment. Thankfully, it just started by the time I got there.

“Spike! Great to see you!” Shining Armor said as he gave me another noogie. “Thanks for this bachelor party!”

“Don’t mention it,” I said as I put my backpack to the side. “It was the least I could do given how my brother’s gonna get married.”

“Well, don’t just stand there,” Shining said as he released me. “Grab a soda and join the party.”

I grabbed a can of soda from the cooler and chatted with the other stallions. There were board games, music, and even a small dance floor. To be honest, this didn’t feel like a bachelor party to me. It felt like a dude’s sweet sixteen party. I guess given how ponies in their mid-20s celebrate their birthday, I shouldn’t be surprised how their “adult” parties were more suited for teens.

After I played a round of “Old Mare,” I sat down next to Shining Armor on the couch.

“How are you enjoying this bachelor party, Shiny?” I asked.

“Oh, it’s the best,” Shining Armor replied as he raised his Pony-Cola can. “Of course, this is gonna be the only one I have, so there’s no competition anytime soon.”

“Well, I can’t get all the credit. I had Pinkie and Applejack help out a bit. So you're really gonna marry Cadance, huh? Twilight’s and my former babysitter?”

“Obviously. Princess Cadance is the only mare for me, and I’d denounce anypony who would say otherwise.”

“It’s nice to know you two are gonna be happy. The captain of the guards marrying a princess. Cadance is so lucky to have a knight in Shining Armor.”

“Yeah, she sure is...wait, did you just make a pun with my name?”

“S-Sorry. It sounded better in my head.”

Shining Armor sipped his soda. “Well, your humor surely hasn’t ‘Spiked’ since you’ve been gone. Get it? ‘Spiked’?”

“Save those jokes when you have a kid, dude.”

“Hey, you started it.”

I took a sip of my Para-Sprite. “I hope Cadance has been okay recently. I couldn’t help but notice that she’s been a bit...grumpy since the girls and I came to Canterlot.”

“Oh, she’s just stressed from all the work she has to do. Princess Cadance is the only mare for me, and I’d denounce anypony who would say otherwise.”

“You...already said that.”

“I did?” Shining chuckled. “I guess I had one too many sodas. The sugar rush is messing with my brain. You better limit yours as well.”

“I’ve eaten donuts with more sugar than this, and I’m including those with extra sprinkles. One can of soda isn’t gonna keep me up all night.”

“It better not. We’ve gotta get up early tomorrow to practice for the real reception.”

“But isn’t tomorrow the real reception?”

“Yes, but it’s gonna happen much later.”

“I see.” I sipped my soda once more. “Twilight thinks something’s up with Cadance. She’s the only one besides me who smells something fishy.”

“Nah, don’t worry about it. Once Cadance and I get married, she’ll be back to her sweet self.” Shining Armor levitated his can to me. “Cheers.”

“Cheers.”

We clinked cans and continued drinking. Then I felt a sudden urge.

“Say, Shining Armor,” I whispered. “Where’s the bathroom again?”

“Down the hall, to the right, and it’ll be the second door on your right.” Shining replied. “It should be right across from my room.”

“Thanks.”

I finished my drink, threw my empty can into the recycling bin, and hurried to the bathroom.

After I finished my business, I realized that since Shining Armor’s room was nearby, I could try to find something that could help prove Cadance’s guilt. After checking to make sure nopony was coming, I left the light on, closed the bathroom door, and dashed to my brother’s bedroom.

I gotta find something in here that could be useful.

Even in the low light, I spotteed a journal on a desk. I quickly took a pencil from a cup, took a step back, and lightly touched the book. Nothing happened. I sighed. I didn’t want a repeat of what happened with Twilight’s diary.

Forgive me, big bro, but I’ve got some snooping to do. It’ll be for your own good.

I flipped through the pages hoping to find something. I found an entry that caught my eye:

“She said yes! Cadance said yes! She’s going to be my wife! This is certainly the happiest day of my life. I’ve gotta tell Twily and Spike as soon I can! We’ve already decided on the date and all. This is gonna be the best...”

I flipped through the pages again until I found something else.

“Cadance was feeling a bit moody today. I tried to ask her what was wrong, but she wouldn’t say anything. I’ll have to ask Princess Celestia what’s up. I hope this behavior doesn’t occur during the wedding.”

When I turned the page to read the next entry, I realized that something was definitely up.

“I can’t believe the wedding’s in a few days! Princess Cadance and I will be wife and husband soon. This wedding’s gonna be big! I can tell.”

I checked to see if there were any tears or cuts in the journal, but I found nothing. Somehow, Shining Armor didn’t talk about what happened with Cadance in this entry. If anything, he didn’t even knew it happened.

This might be important. I need to take note of this.

Suddenly, I heard hoofbeats approaching from down the hall. With little time to react, I dove under the bed. I could see a bunch of legs approaching the bathroom. A loud knock filled my eardrums.

“Hello?” A stallion’s voice called out. “Are you still in there, kid?” The stallion knocked again. “Hmm...looks like the lights are still on. I’ll just come back later.” He then returned to the living room.

I sighed in relief as I crawled out from under the bed. That’s when I noticed a photograph on the floor. It showed Cadance, Twilight, Shining Armor, and I as kids. We were eating a snack and waving at the camera. As I took a closer look, I noticed that Cadance was levitating an apple fritter. What was weird was her magic was light blue, and it wasn’t because of the darkness in the room. I remembered back in the royal kitchen, her magic was green.

This photograph should help me as well.

I put away the photograph. I went to the bathroom to turn off the light, and then I headed back to the party.

“Took you long enough,” Shining Armor said as I grabbed another soda and sat next to him. “You must have the bladder of a full grown dragon.”

“Come on, I wasn’t that long,” I said as I opened another can. “Besides, you’re gonna share a bathroom with Cadance, and she might be even longer.”

“Well, that depends on where we might live. We could have separate bathrooms, you know.”

“Say, let me ask you something. Has Cadance always been moody?”

“Now that you mentioned it, she has been feeling a little grumpy since...uh...” Shining Armor trailed off.

“Since what?”

“Huh?”

“You were just telling me when Cadance starting feeling grumpy.”

“I was?”

“Wait...Shining Armor.”

“Yeah?”

“Tell me about Princess Cadance.”

“Princess Cadance is the only mare for me, and I’d denounce anypony who would say otherwise.”

I gasped. “I think I know what’s wrong. You’re under some sort of spell. That mantra you just said proves it.”

“I am?” Shining Armor gasped. “You’re right. I am! How did I not notice?”

“Tell me how this happened.”

“I think it was when I first notice Cadance was acting strange, but...”

“See? I knew there was something up with her. We better tell Twilight and get Cadance to spill the beans.”

“Are you sure it’s a good idea? Princess Cadance is the only mare for me, and I’d denounce anypony who would say otherwise.”

“Argh!” I nearly crushed my can. “Nevermind. Let’s just enjoy the party.”

I spent the rest of the night enjoying the bachelor party. A few hours later, it was time to leave. After all the stallions left, Pinkie Pie came out of nowhere with her party cannon and cleaned up all the decorations. Apparently, her party cannon also has a reverse mode.

“The princess let us sleep in the royal bedchambers,” Pinkie Pie said. “You should join us.”

“No thanks,” I replied as I put on my bag. “I’ll just stay at our old place.”

“Okie dokie loki!”

I head to where Twilight’s and my old room was. I didn’t see Twilight around, but I decided to go to sleep anyways.


“Spike! Wake up! Hurry!”

I felt something shaking my body silly. I instantly shot my eyes wide open.

“Huh?! What?!”

“We’ve got a big problem!” Twilight shouted.

“What’s the problem?!”

“Come on! I’ll tell you on the way!”

I hopped on Twilight’s back as we headed to the castle.

“Sometime after your bachelor party,” Twilight said, “I visited Shining Armor to talk about Cadance. When I got there, Shining and Cadance were arguing about the outfit, and then she cast a spell on him. It must’ve been a brainwashing spell.”

“Are you sure it was a brainwashing spell?” I asked.

“Of course it was! It caused Shining Armor to go wide-eyed.”

“And it wasn’t because since he was casting that giant shield spell, he’s been getting headaches, and the spell was just a healing spell?”

“We’ve got aspirin for that! He didn’t need a spell from Cadance. Anyway, when I saw that, I quickly went to find the girls and tell them about it. But get this, they were gonna be the new bridesmaids after the other ones disappeared for no reason. She must’ve done something to the old bridesmaids.”

“Maybe after seeing that you were the best mare, she saw to it that your friends would play a better role in this wedding.”

“Why are you doubting me, Spike?”

“Don’t you have any evidence to prove all of this? Do you know what a ‘headache reducing’ spell looks like? Did you ask anypony besides the girls what happened to the old bridesmaids? You were supposed to look for evidence.”

“What did you think I was doing? Sitting idly while counting down my big brother’s free days? What about you? Did you find anything besides Cadance’s ‘unicorn’ quote?”

“Actually, I found a bunch of things that could help. When I was talking to Shining Armor, I noticed he kept saying how Cadance was the only mare for him everytime I mentioned her. What was suspicious was he kept saying it the same way.”

“Go on.”

“There was also a photo I found that showed Cadance as a filly. Her magic in the photo was light blue. But you saw that it was green when she levitated that apple fritter back at the kitchen.” I pulled out the photo and gave it to Twilight.

“As a matter of fact, I do remember her magic being light blue. Thanks for that, Spike.”

“There was one other thing, but...”

“Just tell me.”

“I read through Shining Armor’s journal hoping to find something. I’m sorry for doing that, but I had to! Anyway, I found an entry where it states that Cadance had been acting strange, but the entry right after that doesn’t even mention it. I wanted to use it as evidence, but I can’t tell Shining Armor I read through his journal. He’ll think I have no respect for privacy.”

“Well, the other two pieces should be good enough. Now, let’s save my family!”

We hurried to the reception hall. The rest of the girls, Shining Armor, Princess Celestia, and Cadance were already practicing.

“Hey, Twily! Spike!” Shining Armor called out. “It’s good to see you. We were just practicing.”

“I'm not gonna stand next to her!” Twilight declared. “And neither should you!”

Everypony was silent. I hopped off Twilight’s back.

“I'm sorry, I... I don't know why she's acting like this...” Shining Armor said.

“Shining Armor, why don’t you tell me about Cadance?”

“Well...she’s pretty, she’s sweet, and she’s going to be my bride.”

Uh, oh. Where’s the mantra?

“Thank you,” Cadance said.

“Cadance, did you remember before you became an alicorn?” Twilight asked.

“Of course. I was just a little pegasus when it happened. What’s with these weird questions?”

“I thought you said that you used to be a unicorn.”

“It was just a slip of the tongue.”

Double uh, oh! I was afraid she would come up with an excuse like this.

“I would think you wouldn’t remember,” Twilight said. She then pulled out a photo. “Take a look at this.”

Twilight levitated the photo to Cadance. Cadance took it with her own magic to view it.

“So, it’s a picture of us as kids,” Shining Armor said. “That’s cute and all, but why are you showing it to us?”

“Because there’s something you should see in the photo. Have you noticed that Cadance in the picture is using light-blue-colored magic, but you all can see that she’s using green-colored magic right now.”

“That does smell rather fishy,” Applejack said.

“Oh, that.” Cadance chuckled. “The color of my magic has changed a bit ever since I became an alicorn.”

“Is it really possible for one’s magic color to be altered?” Rarity asked.

“There is usually a condition that causes it to happen irruptibaly,” Celestia replied. “But it’s very rare. Princess Cadance seems to have that condition.”

You could’ve just said no, princess. It would’ve made things easier.

“Twily, why are you asking all of this?” Shining Armor asked.

“I’ll tell you why,” Twilight replied. “Because Cadance is evil!”

Everypony gasped. I slapped my forehead.

“At first, I thought she was just being rude and bratty, but I figured out the real reason. She's been horrible to my friends, she's obviously done something to her bridesmaids, and if that wasn't enough, I saw her put a spell on my brother that made his eyes go all crazy! Just admit it, Cadance! You’re a villain!”

“Why are you doing this to me?!” Cadance cried.

“If I don't stop you, you're gonna ruin my brother's life!”

Cadance ran out of the hall crying. Twilight was about to chase her, but Shining Armor stopped her.

“You want to know why my eyes went all crazy?” Shining Armor said. “Because ever since I started having to perform my protection spell, I've been getting terrible migraines. Cadance hasn't been casting spells on me. She's been using her magic to heal me!”

“You couldn’t use aspirin?” I asked.

“I didn’t have any, and if I did, they would take too long to heal me. That’s why Cadance was using her magic. It was quicker and more efficient.” He then turned to Twilight. “She decided to replace her bridesmaids because she found out the only reason they wanted to be in the wedding was so that they could meet Canterlot royalty! And if she hasn't been on her best behavior with your friends, it's because with me being so busy, she's had to make all the decisions about the wedding!”

I wouldn’t even consider it good behavior,” I said under my breath.

“She's been completely stressed out because it's really important to her that our big day be perfect! Something that obviously wasn't important to you!”

Twilight gasped after hearing that.

“Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go and comfort my bride. And you can forget about being my best mare. In fact, if I were you, I wouldn't show up to the wedding at all.”

Shining Armor left the room. The rest of the girls followed suit in a huff.

I should’ve just said Cadance was a changeling right then and there. Why did I not do that? I guess maybe she would try to deny it or something?

“Don’t worry, Twilight,” I whispered. “I’ll figure something out.”

I quickly left the room. That’s when I knew it was time for Plan B: Taking on Queen Chrysalis myself. As I walked down the hall, I thought about my plan.

At this point, Chrysalis might get too powerful for me to defeat her by myself. Obviously, none of the girls are going to help me, and neither will Celestia. My other idea is to do a sneak attack. But how…?

During my thinking, I nearly missed hitting another table. That’s when I remembered the vases. I grabbed the vase and felt its heaviness. If I had to guess the weight, it would have to be around 5 pounds.

Maybe I can use this…

Then something occured to me. I didn’t have my backpack.

Oh, no! Where did I leave it last?! Let’s see...The guards gave it to me after their search. I still wore it when I was talking to Pinkie and then when I went to the kitchen. I didn’t remember taking it off until the bachelor party, and I specifically recalled putting it back on after that. Then it must be in our old room!

I quickly hurried down the hall. I found the girls lamenting on what happened earlier.

“Do you think we were a bit too harsh on Twilight?” Rarity asked.

“Yeah, you sure were,” I replied as I showed up. “By a lot.”

“Geeze, Spike,” Rainbow Dash said. “Maybe you should stop hanging around Applejack. You’re picking up her brutal honesty.”

Applejack glared at her.

“Applejack, Twilight, and I heard Cadance say ‘unicorn’ back at the kitchen clear as day,” I said. “She was definitely a pegasus before she became an alicorn. Also, whenever somepony talks about Cadance, Shining would go on a mantra, but I guess she removed it last night to avoid suspicion. Another thing, I can understand there’s a condition that can change your magic color, but Cadance is an alicorn, so she should’ve had some spell to reverse it. Finally, Shining Armor knew something was up with Cadance long before this day, but she somehow got the upper hoof and made him forget. That’s why Twilight asked all those questions.”

“Don’t tell me you believe Princess Cadance is evil, too,” Pinkie said.

“Next time, don’t doubt your friends. Even if their future sister-in-law is a stressed princess.” I then left the castle.

“Where are you going, Spike?” Fluttershy asked. “The wedding’s going to start soon.”

“I have some things to take care of,” I said. “I’ll be back shortly.”


I quickly left the castle and ran to my old home. I hoped my backpack was still there. I dashed up the steps and slammed the doors open. I ran to where my old bed was, and I found my pack on the side. I quickly opened it and checked it’s contents.

“Rope? Check. Cloth? Check. Telescope? Check. Magic-inhibitor ring? Check. Notebook? Check.” I zipped up my bag. “That’s everything.”

As I ran out to the stairs, I noticed a bunch of tiny black dots just outside the shield. They had to be the changelings. I pulled out the telescope and searched the horizon. I knew there was one shy changeling named Thorax who appeared during the Canterlot Wedding. The hard part was finding where he was. It didn’t help that he looked like most of the other changelings.

Thorax has to be one of them.

It took me a while, but I spotted a changeling with a worried look on his face. It must’ve been him. He was located just above the outer walls. I studied the nearby buildings, and it appeared he was near a coffee store and a designer hats store. I took note of that.

“Okay, now I know where to find Thorax in case things go south at the castle.”

I put the telescope away, grabbed my bag, and dashed out of the door.

“Hey, Spike!”

I quickly turned to see Moondancer following me. She still had her Twilight-like mane and glasses, but she was dressed in the same dress she wore at the gala.

“Moondancer! Good to see you,” I said as I continued running. “You’re heading to the wedding as well, right?”

“Yeah.” Moondancer ran up beside me. “My alarm clock didn’t go off, so I overslept. I didn’t have time to do my hair or face.”

“That’s okay. You look fine the way you are. I kinda overslept as well.”

“You better hop on if we’re gonna reach the castle in time.”

I did just that. Moondancer galloped as fast as she could. We arrived at the castle in no time.

“Are we too late for the wedding?” Moondancer asked the guard.

“No, ma’am,” the guard replied. “In fact, you’re about five minutes early.”

Oh, no! I gotta hurry!

After we entered the castle and scurried up the stairs, I hopped off Moondancer’s back and ran down the hall.

“Where are you going, Spike?” Moondancer asked. “The wedding’s this way.”

“I have to use the bathroom,” I lied. “Go on. Don’t worry about me. I’ll be there before they say ‘I do.’”

Moondancer nodded and headed to the wedding room. I continued to run across the halls.

I had to find which room Cadance, aka Queen Chrysalis, was in. As I was running through the castle, I noticed that there weren’t many guards around. I prayed to Celestia that they weren’t taken out.

Now where could that bug be?

My question was answered when I heard a familiar song.

“I couldn’t care less about the dress, I won’t partake in any cake!”

That was definitely her. I grabbed a nearby vase and headed to the room she was in. I peeked in, and sure enough, there she was. Singing her heart out.

Only one shot at this, Spike. Here goes nothing.

I cracked open the door. I took a deep breath to calm my beating heart. I aimed at her head, and I threw the vase with all my might!

“But I want him to be all—”

SMASH!!

The porcelain vase crashed right onto Cadance’s head, shattering into tiny pieces and knocking her unconscious body to the floor.

Heh-Ha! I did it!

Cadance’s body slowly transformed back into Queen Chrysalis. That’s when I took action. I grabbed the rope from my backpack and tied Chrysalis’s legs together. I placed the magic inhibitor ring on her horn, and I tied the cloth around her mouth.

“What is a bug, to a dragon?” I asked myself.

Then I heard a knock on the door.

“Princess Cadance, the wedding is about to start,” said a voice behind the door. “Are you ready?”

“I’m sorry, but this mare’s not going to the wedding,” I said.

“What the?!” A guard burst into the room. “Nopony’s allowed in the bride’s room when she’s—GASP!!”

The guard and two others who followed him were left speechless. They saw Queen Chrysalis on the ground tied up.

“How did she get past security?!” The guard asked. The others could only shrug. “We’ll need to inform Princess Celestia immediately! Spike, take the changeling with you!”

I picked up Chrysalis’s body and followed the guards. She was surprisingly light for sompony three times my height. I wondered how the others would react to seeing Chrysalis.

By the time the guards and I came to the wedding hall, the real Cadance and Twilight were already there. Surprisingly, everypony already knew that Chrysalis was on castle grounds. Because earlier, Shining Armor was snapped out of his trance, and he quickly told Celestia that Chrysalis kidnapped his future wife and brainwashed him. I dumped the body on the floor. Gasps filled the room.

Princess Celestia stood in front of Queen Chrysalis. She was not happy. Soon, Chrysalis regained consciousness, and was shocked to see the Princess of the Sun staring down at her.

“You’ve made a terrible mistake coming here!” Celestia barked. “Now you’re gonna pay for your crimes!”

Chrysalis made inaudible muffles, so I undid the cloth so she could speak.

“How did you know I was even here?!” Chrysalis said. “None of you trusted that purple pony!”

“Let’s just say,” I said, “the purple pony wasn’t the only one who saw through your smoke and mirrors.”

“You knew?!” Chrysalis growled. “Impossible!”

“Take her to the dungeon!” Celestia ordered her guards. “And don’t remove that ring or those ropes until further notice!”

“Yes, your highness.”

After Chrysalis was taken away, preparations were made yet again, but this time to the real Cadance’s liking. And the wedding went well just like in the show.

“What did I miss?” Princess Luna asked as she flew in. Then something struck my mind.

“Excuse me, Princess Luna?” I asked. “Could I talk with you for a minute?”

“As you wish, Spike.” Luna and I went someplace quiet.

“Do you believe everypony deserves a second chance?” I asked her.

“I suppose so.”

“And do you believe other creatures deserve a second chance?”

“What are you getting at, Spike?”

“Do you believe in a changeling having a second chance?”

“You’re not serious about releasing Queen Chrysalis, are you?!”

“No! No! I’m talking about a different changeling.”

“Whatever do you mean?”

I told Luna to fly me to a certain spot just outside of Canterlot. After we landed I told Luna to wait nearby. I snuck around and hid in some bushes. I saw four changelings talking to each other. One of them seemed to be a lot shorter than the others.

“The queen has been captured?!” the small changeling said. Somehow, her voice sounded familiar. “But what about all that love she promised?! Can’t we just go in and get her?”

“I’m sorry,” one of the bigger changelings said, “but we can’t just barge in there. Even if we get through the shield, we’re all gonna get thrown in prison. Now go back to the hive like the rest of the swarm.”

The small changeling growled. “I swear, next time, I’m taking the love all by myself. I won’t even have the Queen stopping me.” She then flew off.

“I swear, that little one is crazy,” the second bigger changeling said.

“Hey, don’t worry about Ocellus, guys,” the third one said. Now, his voice I recognized. “She’s been wanting to join our heists ever since she was a larva. You can’t blame her for—”

“Mind your own business, buddy!” The first one retorted. “We have to look out only for ourselves! If we showed empathy for others, we would get nowhere. So let her be! The queen will get out soon. She always has a plan. Now, let’s go. We’ll need to keep the hive running until she returns.”

The first and second changeling flew off. The third one looked back at Canterlot. He sighed and started to flap his wings. That was my cue.

“Excuse me?” I asked as I exited the bushes.

“I SURRENDER!!” The changeling threw his hooves up in the air.

“You don’t need to, Thorax.”

“H-How do you know my name?”

“I know enough about you guys.”

“Look, I-I don’t know anything! Our queen is captured! T-Talk to her!”

“I just want to talk to you personally, Thorax.”

Thorax lowered his arms and turned around.

“What do you want from me?” He asked. “Wait, you’re a dragon?”

“You guys feed on love, right?” I asked.

“Well, yeah. We’re changelings.”

“Have you ever thought about sharing your love?”

“What do you mean?”

“You don’t have to feed on love. You can just share it. You don't have to live your life starving all the time. It would be much better than trying to invade a wedding.”

“How do I...share love?”

“Through the magic of friendship.” I held his hoof. “If we show empathy for others, we will go far.”

Right as I said that, Thorax’s wings started to sparkle a bit. I didn’t like Thorax’s overly colored form, but as long as Chrysalis didn’t rule them with an iron fist, then I was willing to accept it.

“Uh...thanks,” Thorax said as he removed his hoof from my hands. “But how can I convince the rest of the hive to share love?”

“My advice: Start with being nice to someone you know. Like Ocellus...or Pharynx.”

Thorax’s eyes widened. “How did you…?”

“Like I said, I know enough about you.” I patted his back. “Good luck.”

“Th-Thank you.” Thorax flew away.

I had high hopes for Thorax. With Chrysalis out of the picture, the hive would need a new ruler, and while chances for Thorax to become one are slim under the recent conditions, I think he’ll be able to convince the others to share love.

As I headed back, I saw Luna approaching me.

“You seem to have known who that changeling was,” Luna said in a serious tone. “Have you interacted with him before in the past?”

“You might say that,” I replied.

Luna glared at me. "Give it to me straight, Spike. How do you know him? Why doesn't Celestia know about this? Are you working with them? Answer me."

I sighed. "I need you to keep a secret, but you must promise me you won’t tell anyone. Not even your own sister."

Luna nodded. “You have my word.”

I looked around and then whispered in Luna’s ear, “I have seen this all before.”

Luna raised an eyebrow. “You have?”

I nodded. “I’ve seen everything that happened before. You returning, Discord escaping, Chrysalis invading, I’ve seen it all. The outcomes I’ve seen from these were...less than desirable, so I’m doing whatever I can to make sure history doesn’t repeat itself.”

“Interesting.” Luna scratched the bottom of her chin. “Are you stuck in some sort of time loop?”

“No, I’m not. I’m sure of that.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“Let’s just say something happened in the future to make me travel back into the past.”

“What exactly happened?”

“I don’t know. I really don’t know. All I did was fall asleep, and the next thing I knew I was in the past. But that doesn’t matter. As long as I’m here, I’m gonna do whatever I can to set things right.”

“Have you told anypony else about this?”

“No, I doubt the girls will believe me, and Twilight would probably ‘test’ me if I told her. I want to keep this hidden until the time is right.”

“I see. Your secret is safe with me.”

“Thank you, Princess Luna.”

We flew back into Canterlot. I was glad to meet Thorax so early and convince him to share love. However, I was worried about Queen Chrysalis. I didn’t know if she would escape or not, but at least she wouldn’t try to capture us.

PreviousChapters Next