• Published 24th Feb 2020
  • 18,849 Views, 4,041 Comments

Spike The Brony Dragon - red4567



A human in Spike's body will do whatever he can to change the future for the better.

  • ...
128
 4,041
 18,849

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 25 (Luna Eclipsed)

I couldn't believe it was almost the end of October. It seemed like only yesterday that it was the start of autumn. And the end of October meant only one thing.

Halloween. Aka Nightmare Night.

This holiday used to be one of my favorites when I was a kid, but as time went on, I went from getting treats to giving treats. And even then there weren't that many kids trick-or-treating in my area. So basically, I ended up buying my own candy instead of getting it for free.

But now, I can finally relive my past memory. I was physically a kid again, so that meant I could go trick-or-treating once more.

I was stuck on what or who I should go as, but then I remembered that Spike's costumes are usually dragon themed. That gave me an idea.

A few days before Nightmare Night, I went to the Carousel Boutique to request a design from Rarity. I gave her a rough sketch of what I wanted. It was a black bodysuit with fake wings, a hood, and fins on my back and around certain areas. It was a dragon from a movie I saw back in my old world.

Rarity was bewildered by my drawing. "Is this...supposed to be a dragon?"

"Yep. I hope it's not too much trouble to make, is it?" I asked.

"Of course not, darling. I know how to add fake wings on an outfit. It's just that I've never seen a dragon that looked like this before. And just to clarify, you want the entire costume to be black? I don't want to sound like a critic, darling, but nopony's going to see you if you wear such dark clothing at night."

"I'll be fine. If it helps, you can make one of the tail fins red."

"Why not both so they can match?"

"I think it's better if only one of them is red."

"Alright. I'll see what I can do."

It didn't take long for Rarity to work on my costume. The next day, she was already finished. I came by to try it on, and I think she nailed it. There were a few things missing, but it was close enough to what I had in mind. After paying for the costume (Rarity said I didn't have to, but I insisted), I thanked Rarity and later bought some black face paint.

Since this was the first Nightmare Night since Luna's return, it was safe to assume this was when "Luna Eclipsed" took place. Of course, after my visit with the two princesses, Luna learned not to yell so much. Although, I was still skeptical, especially since Pinkie overreacted so much in the show.

It was already Nightmare Night, and Twilight and I were getting into our costumes. After putting my suit on, I carefully used the face paint to color my entire face black so that it would match the costume. I also painted some areas that weren't covered by my suit.

It's a shame I couldn't get Twilight to dress up as a viking this year.

"Hurry up, Spike!" Twilight called out.

"I'm coming, Twilight!" I called out. I put the finishing touches on my face, put on my hood, and hurried down the stairs.

"Honestly, Spike. And you always say I take too long to put on my costume.” Twilight then noticed my outfit. “What are you supposed to be? A flying axolotl?”

I chuckled. “No, I’m…” I then did my best to sound like Batman. “I am the darkness in the night. I have never been seen, never been caught, and I never miss. My enemies never see me coming. I am...the Night Fury!”

Twilight just stared at me with a blank expression. “I’m just gonna assume this is someone from one of your comic books.”

“Well, what are you supposed to be? A bell wizard?”

“I’m Star Swirl the Bearded! Father of the amniomorphic spell?”

“I think I’ve heard of him. Wasn’t he that wizard who helped that colt become a king with a stone sword?”

Twilight shook her head. “Different pony, Spike.”

Then there was a knock on the door. I opened it to see three fillies and Granny Smith.

“Nightmare Night! What a fright! Give us something sweet to bite!” The fillies called out.

I remembered when it was just “Trick or treat” in my old world.

Twilight greeted, “Hello, everypony. Great costumes.” She even said this to the one in the ladybug costume, which was odd. “Happy Nightmare Night, Granny Smith.”

“I should’ve been asleep five hours ago,” Granny moaned.

After Twilight gave the three fillies a piece of candy, a colt in a pirate’s outfit appeared in front of her.

“Pipsqueak the pirate, at your service,” he said. “It's my very first Nightmare Night.”

“Since you moved here from Trottingham?” Twilight asked.

“No, my very first Nightmare Night ever!”

Same here, Little Pipsqueak. Same here.

Then Pinkie Pie showed up wearing a chicken outfit. “Enough talk! Time is candy!”

“Aren’t you a little too old for this, Pinkie?” I asked. This was coming from a former human in his mid-20s.

“Too old for free candy? Never!”

Twilight rolled her eyes as she gave Pinkie and Pipsqueak each a piece of candy. Like in the show, Pinkie assumed Twilight was wearing a clown costume.

“A clown?!” Twilight exasperated.

“Don’t worry about it, Twilight,” I said as we headed out. “Somepony here will surely get your costume.”

On our way to the festival, I did some trick-or-treating myself. Only a handful of ponies figured out I was a dragon, while the rest thought I was a weird-looking bat or a reptilian cat. It didn’t matter to me; I’ve gotten a bunch of candy regardless.

“Say, Twilight,” I said. “When Granny Smith’s group visited us, one of the fillies was wearing a ladybug costume.”

“Yeah?” Twilight didn’t sound uncomfortable hearing me say that.

“But aren’t you afraid of ladybugs?”

“Of course not, Spike,” Twilight chuckled. “Why would I be afraid of such a tiny insect? I don't have any ridiculous fears.”

“Quesadillas.”

Twilight jumped back. “WHERE?! WHERE?!” She then glared at me. “Don’t do that!”

I tried my best not to laugh.

So Twilight isn’t afraid of ladybugs. Does that mean those shorts between Season 8 and 9 aren’t canon?

“Hey look, we're here at the festival already! Should we get something to eat?” Twilight asked.

“You go ahead. This dragon already got his hoard filled,” I said as I ate a gummy fish.

“Twilight! Twilight!” Pinkie called out. “Look at our haul! Can you believe it?”

I looked up in the sky hoping to find Rainbow Dash. But given how dark the night was and how Rainbow’s presumed costume was dark itself, it was hard to find her.

“And then, we went to Cheerilee's house, and got a bunch more goodies. Didn't we, Pip?” Pinkie asked.

“Sure did,” Pipsqueak replied.

“And then, we had to stop and wait for Granny Smith, and—”

Suddenly, I noticed a cloud approaching us.

“Heads up!” I called out.

But it was too late. The flash of lighting and the sound of thunder scared everypony sans Twilight and I away.

“Rainbow Dash!” Twilight called out. “That wasn’t very nice!”

“Lighten up, old-timer,” Dash said. “This is the best night of the year for pranks!”

“You’re lucky Granny Smith wasn’t here,” I said.

Later, Twilight and I went to see Applejack. She was near an apple-bobbing station dressed as a scarecrow.

“Howdy, Spike! Hey, Twilight! Nice costume,” she said.

“Thanks, I’m a dragon,” I said.

“She means me, Spike!” Twilight said.

“With that beard, I reckon you're some sorta country music singer,” said Applejack, much to Twilight’s frustration.

Soon, Mayor Mare gave a speech welcoming everypony to the Nightmare Night festival. She also reminded all the fillies and colts who collected candy to follow Zecora to hear the tale of Nightmare Moon. That’s what Twilight and I did.

We all headed into the Everfree forest and arrived at the Nightmare Moon statue.

“Listen close, my little dears,” Zecora said. “I'll tell you where you got your fears...of Nightmare Night, so dark and scary.” She took out some powder and blew on it. “Of Nightmare Moon, who makes you wary.”

The powder itself took the form of Nightmare Moon, which pounced onto the group and turned the surroundings into a greenish fog.

“Every year, we put on a disguise, to save ourselves from her searching eyes,” Zecora continued. “But Nightmare Moon wants just one thing: to gobble up ponies in one quick swing! Hungrily, she soars the sky. If she sees nopony, she passes by. So if she comes and all is clear, Equestria is safe another year!”

“Uh, Miss Zecora, if we wear costumes to hide from Nightmare Moon so she won't gobble us up, how come we still need to give her some of our candy?” Pipsqueak asked.

“And more importantly, since Nightmare Moon’s been defeated, why do we still need to worry about her?” I added.

“Perfect questions, my little friends. For Nightmare Moon you must not offend.” Zecora took out and blew on some more powder. “While Nightmare Moon is physically gone, her evil spirit still lives on. Fill up her belly with a treat or two, so she won't return to come eat you!” The powder formed into Nightmare Moon again and pounced on us, scaring everyone.

“Everypony! Just dump some candy and get out of here!” Pinkie cried.

We all placed our candy into a big pile in front of the statue. Soon, storm clouds formed around the moon as the wind howled like a timberwolf.

“Is this part of the show?” I asked. The silence I got from Twilight and Zecora failed to answer me, but I already knew this was not the mayor's doing.

A black chariot pulled by two bat ponies passed right above us. Inside the chariot was a hooded figure.

“IT’S NIGHTMARE MOON!” Pinkie shouted. “RUN!”

The fillies, colts, Pinkie, and Zecora dashed out of the forest.

“That must be princess Luna,” I said. “I hope she remembered.”

“Remember what?” Twilight asked.

“The last time I went to Canterlot by myself, Luna was still learning about how to adjust to modern society. I decided to help her out a bit. Princess Celestia and I taught her not to use the traditional royal Canterlot voice anymore.”

“We should go see what she’s up to. It’s been a while since we’ve seen her.”

Twilight and I headed back to Ponyville. A bunch of ponies were cowering in terror as Luna hopped off her chariot. The hood she was wearing was just a bunch of bats that flew away.

Luna cleared her throat. She spoke in a quiet yet firm voice, “Citizens of Ponyville, I have graced your tiny village with my presence, so that you might behold the real Princess of the Night.” The citizens stopped trembling as they heard Luna speak. “A creature of nightmares no longer, but instead a pony who desires your love and admiration. Together, we shall change this dreadful celebration into a bright and glorious feast.”

“Yep, she remembered,” I said.

“Did you hear that, everypony? Nightmare Moon says she's gonna feast on us all!” Pinkie screamed.

“What? No, children, no. You no longer have reason to fear me!” Luna’s voice fell on deaf ears as Pinkie and the kids ran away.

Dang it, Pinkie. If I weren’t so mild-mannered, I would’ve turned you into fried chicken.

I quickly cleared my throat. “Good evening, Princess Luna,” I said. “We welcome you to Ponyville. While we have yet to show it, we are grateful for your appearance. Pay no mind to the giant chicken.”

Confused murmurs were heard all around us.

“I’ll help Princess Luna fit in,” I told Twilight. “You try to find Pinkie and the other kids and get them to calm down.”

“You think you can help her?” Twilight asked.

“I did it once before. I can do it again.”

We both split up. I quickly approached Luna and requested to speak with her in private.

When we were both away from the crowd, Luna said to me, “Spike. It’s a pleasure to see you again.”

“It’s good to see you, too,” I said.

“I almost didn’t recognize you with that costume. I really admire your choice of design. I haven’t seen that kind of dragon for ages.”

“Thank you...wait, what?!”

“But enough of that. I wish to know what is wrong with the citizens of Ponyville. They’ve seem to act like I’m still Nightmare Moon, and I didn’t even use the traditional royal Canterlot voice. This was not a problem back in Canterlot.”

“Not everypony here went to the Grand Galloping Gala,” I said. “That’s why they haven’t seen your non-evil side yet. I think once everypony here sees that you’re no longer Nightmare Moon, they’ll warm up to you.”

“And how should I do that?”

“Well, you’ve already gotten the quiet voice part down, so that’s a start. And since the girls and I have witnessed you being reformed, we can vouch for you. Well, except Pinkie, of course. As long as you don’t do anything too scary, you should be fine. I think I know where we can start.”

We headed to the center of town to where Applejack was. Some of the ponies were a bit freaked out after seeing Luna.

“It’s no use, Spike,” Luna said. “They have never liked me, and they never shall.”

“Don’t be like that,” I said. “Applejack is one of the most likeable ponies around here. I’m sure she can give you some advice on how to fit in.”

We approached Applejack. She was surprised to see Luna, but she didn’t cower in fear like in the show.

“Princess Luna,” Applejack said. “Wh-What are you doing here?”

“The princess still needs help fitting in,” I said. “Maybe you could help us?”

Applejack cleared her throat. “That's easy. All you gotta do is have the right attitude. Loosen up a bit, be positive, play a few games, have some fun.”

“Fun? What is this 'fun' thou speakest of?” Luna asked.

Applejack and I pointed to a nearby game. It was one where you had to throw the spiders onto a nearby web. Luna picked up one of the spiders and tossed it towards the web, but it landed just inches away.

“You can do it, princess!” Applejack called out.

Luna tossed another spider, and this time she hit dead center. Pleased at this, Luna wanted to experience more fun. So we brought her to the pumpkin catapults. The goal was the same as the spider game: hit the target with the provided projectiles. Just like last time, Luna hit the bull’s eye on the target.

“Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!” Luna proclaimed.

There’s that meme. It’s a shame ponies don’t have computers here.

“Why don't you try bobbin' for apples?” Applejack asked Luna. “We got the best apples in Equestria here, princess.”

That reminds me. If Pipsqueak’s at the apple-bobbing tub by now, I need to make sure he doesn’t fall in. Or at least save him if he does.

I quickly hurried ahead to where the apples were, but I didn’t see any sign of the pirate colt in or around the tub. He probably didn’t show up yet. I guess given how Luna didn’t need to visit Fluttershy or walk back to the Everfree Forest after her introduction, a lot of time has been shaved off.

Luna, Applejack, and the other ponies who warmed up to Luna approached the tub.

“Now, Pri...er, Luna. The goal of apple bobbin’ is to grab one of the apples in this here tub. Give it a try.”

Luna stuck her hoof into the water and pulled out the apple.

“Well, it’s not as much fun as the other two...” Luna said as she bit into the apple.

“Heh. That’s ‘cause yer only supposed to use yer mouth to grab the apples,” Applejack said. “Why don’t ya show her, Spike?”

“I think it’s best if you do it, Applejack,” I said. “I have face paint on, and I’m afraid it might come off and stain the apples. Also, it might ruin my costume’s aesthetic.”

“Oh, right. Sorry.” Applejack stuck her head into the water and pulled out an apple. “There. Like that.”

Luna did the same thing. After a few tries, she managed to get another apple. The crowd cheered for her after that.

Soon I saw Twilight by herself coming towards us. I quickly greeted her.

“Twilight, you’re back. Where are the others?” I asked. "Did you get the kids and Pinkie to calm down?"

“Yeah. As it turns out, Pinkie was just ‘faking’ being scared,” Twilight said. “She thinks it’s fun, but I don’t see how.”

I sighed harshly. “Tell me you slapped her.”

Twilight glared at me. “Spike, I’m against physical violence. As annoying as Pinkie Pie is, slapping ponies is not something I support.”

I looked at Luna and said to Twilight, “You know, I think I have an idea.”

Later, Luna and I were waiting at the Nightmare Moon statue while Twilight went to grab the kids, Mayor Mare, and Zecora.

“This seems counterproductive, Spike,” Luna said as I handed her some false fangs. “The citizens of Ponyville have already warmed up to me. Why must I scare them?”

“Just trust me. If what Pinkie said is true, then this shouldn’t be a problem.”

I hope. If Discord’s right, then this should turn out like in the show.

I heard hoofbeats approaching us. Quickly, Luna and I got into position. Using her magic, Luna changed her form to look like Nightmare Moon.

Once again, the fillies and colts from earlier approached the Nightmare Moon statue and dumped some of their candy.

“Why are we doing this again?” Pipsqueak asked.

“Because there wasn’t enough before for Nightmare Moon to eat,” Twilight replied.

Luna’s horn glowed and the wind started blowing hard!

CITIZENS OF PONYVILLE!” Luna boomed. “YOU WERE WISE TO BRING THIS CANDY TO ME. I AM PLEASED WITH YOUR OFFERING. SO PLEASED THAT I MAY JUST EAT IT... INSTEAD OF EATING YOU!” Luna materialized in front of them with her eyes glowing like the moon she escaped from.

The shocking sight scared all the kids away. The wind died down as Luna turned back into her normal self.

“I am not certain that did what you meant for it to do, Spike,” Luna said as she spat out the false fangs.

“Just hold on, Luna,” I said.

“For what? For them to scream some more?”

Pipsqueak nervously approached Luna.

“Uhm...Princess Luna...” Pipsqueak whimpered. “Do you suppose...maybe you could come back next year...and...and scare us again?”

Luna raised her eyebrows. “Child. Art thou saying that thou...likest me to scare you?”

“I-It's really fun! Scary, but fun! Nightmare Night is my favorite night of the year.”

“Well then, we shall return to Ponyville FOR THE NEXT NIGHTMARE NIGHT!

“Whoa! You're my favorite princess ever!” Pipsqueak then turned to the other fillies. “She said yes, guys!”

The other fillies cheered like it was Hearth’s Warming Eve.

“See? They like you, Luna,” I said. “Just like last time.”

“Last time?” Luna asked.

Oops! Did I say that out loud?

“When you were with the others at the festival earlier. That’s what I meant by last time.”

We continued celebrating Nightmare Night after that. After I sent the friendship letter to Princess Celestia, something occurred to me.

“Hold on, didn’t we learn this friendship lesson back when we first met Zecora?” I asked Twilight.

“Well, some lessons have to be learned more than once before they stick to you,” Twilight replied.

Suddenly, there was a flash of lighting and a clap of thunder. We looked to see Rainbow Dash flying away with a smoked tail. Luna then came down to us riding a cloud.

“How many times do you think Rainbow Dash will learn hers?” I asked.

We all laughed at that.

PreviousChapters Next