• Published 24th Feb 2020
  • 18,849 Views, 4,041 Comments

Spike The Brony Dragon - red4567



A human in Spike's body will do whatever he can to change the future for the better.

  • ...
128
 4,041
 18,849

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 13 (Feeling Pinkie Keen)

There were three rules I followed when I was in the Brony fandom:

  1. Respect others' favorite ponies.
  2. Love and tolerate everything.
  3. Never question Pinkie Pie's logic.

The third one would be important today, as it was the day that Twilight learns about "Pinkie Sense" and try to see how it works. Eventually, she gives up and accepts that Pinkie Pie is somepony she'll never understand. Even though I didn't need to change anything, it wouldn't hurt to help Twilight out a bit.

Twilight was trying to make a suit for me out of twigs and leaves, which I didn't understand why considering I already have a suit.

I heard a familiar "boing" sound. With quick thinking, I was able to catch the rock above my head.

"Spike, this spell needs our full attention!" Twilight said. "There's no other way."

"I'm sorry, Twilight, " I said, "but I thought I heard Pinkie Pie."

We looked over the hill and saw Pinkie hiding under a tree with an umbrella on her head. She then ducked under a bench, a rock, and then another tree.

"Nevermind her," Twilight said. "She's just being Pinkie Pie."

"More like extra Pinkie today." I scratched my head. "We should see what she's up to."

We approached Pinkie as she held her twitching tail.

"Hey, Pinkie," I greeted. "What are you up to?"

"Oh! It's my tail! It's a-twitching twitching!" Pinkie shoved her tail in my and Twilight's face. "You know what that means?"

"The sky is falling?" I joked.

"Close. It means my Pinkie Sense is telling me that stuff's gonna start falling! You two better duck for cover."

"Pinkie, it's not gonna rain," said Twilight. "There's barely a cloud—"

Suddenly a frog jumped on Twilight's face.

"Woah! Pinkie was right. Something did fall." I said.

"Oh, Spike, it was just a coincidence." Twilight removed the frog from her face. "The frog just happened to fall right after Pinkie said that."

"Oh, sorry Twilight." Fluttershy came and picked up the frog. "The pond was getting overpopulated, so I decided to fly as many frogs as I can over to Froggy Bottom Bog." She placed the frog in the cart she was pulling and flew off. I would've stopped her, but I didn't think it would matter in the long run.

"You can't deny that it was weird a frog fell right after Pinkie said something would fall," I said to Twilight.

"Yes, I can," Twilight said. "It was just a coincidence. Nothing else."

"Guys! My tail! My tail!" Pinkie shouted. "It's twitching again! Something else is gonna fall."

"Pinkie, nothing else is gonna—" Right after Twilight said that, she fell into a ditch.

"Are you alright, Twilight?" I asked. "Is it safe to pull her out, Pinkie?"

"Yep," Pinkie replied. "My tail stopped twitching."

I pulled Twilight out. Applejack came along wondering what we were doing.

“Twilight fell in the ditch right after Pinkie’s tail twitched,” I said. “Her Pinkie sense predicted Twilight’s fall.”

“Honestly, Spike,” Twilight said, “Two coincidences in a row may be unlikely, but it's still easier to believe than twitchy tails that predict the future.”

“I wouldn’t say that, Twilight,” Applejack said. “Here in Ponyville, we have a belief: If Pinkie’s a-twitching, ya better listen.”

Pinkie suddenly appeared. “My ears are flopping! My ears are flopping!”

Uh oh, I know what that means…

“Uh, Twilight, I’m gonna run a bath for you,” said Pinkie.

I grabbed Twilight’s leg. “Twilight, you might want to—”

“Let go of my leg!” Twilight commanded.

Sadly, I was too late. I couldn’t prevent Twilight from getting drenched in mud, and I ended up getting covered as well.

“Ugh, see?” I groaned.

We were escorted to Pinkie’s bathroom, where Twilight and I took a bubble bath at the same time. Somehow, it felt familiar.

“I figured Pinkie knew I needed a bath due to her ‘sense,’ but how did you know that I was going to get covered in mud?” Twilight asked me.

“I saw you were near that mud puddle. When Pinkie mentioned she’ll draw you a bath, it didn’t take much to put two and two together,” I said as I scrubbed my shoulders. “Now do you believe in Pinkie Sense?”

“Okay, so perhaps three coincidences in a row is improbable, but I still don’t see how her senses could work like that.” Twilight blew some of the suds away.

“Basically, it works like this,” said Pinkie as she placed a bottle down. “I get different, little, niggly feelings and they mean different things. Like when my back is itchy, it means it's my lucky day. When my knee gets pinchy, that means something scary's about to happen.”

“You know, I think I have something like that,” I said. “When my stomach growls, it means it’s close to lunchtime. When I start yawning, it means it’s almost bedtime.”

Twilight rubbed her forehead. “Spike, those are normal reactions. Your stomach growls when you’re hungry, and you yawn when you’re tired. It’s not some sort of ‘Spike sense.’”

“Ooh! Guys! My shoulders are aching,” Pinkie said. “That means there’s an alligator in the tub.”

“Excuse me, Pinkie, but I’m a dragon,” I joked.

“Not you, silly filly.” Pinkie then pulled a baby alligator from the bathtub. Twilight leaped like a cat to get away from it, while I stayed where I was unfazed.

“How did your knee not get pinchy?!” Twilight trembled. “That’s not only scary, it’s downright dangerous!”

“No, it’s not, silly. This is my pet alligator, Gummy,” said Pinkie. “He’s got no teeth.” Gummy then tried to “attack” Pinkie. “See?”

“Okay, okay, we get it,” said Twilight as she lowered herself back into the tub.

Twilight and I cleaned ourselves, and we headed back home with Pinkie following us.

“I still don’t believe all this ‘special power’ stuff,” said Twilight. “It's just a bunch of mumbo-jumbo.”

“Come on, Twilight,” I said. “You can’t just think that all these events are just coincidences. The stuff falling, us getting dirty, gator in the tub...Pinkie predicted all those things. It’s like she has some sort of psychic magic.”

“Magic is something that can only happen when you decide to do it, and it’s mainly for when you want something specific to happen. Whatever Pinkie has is not magic. A random thing happens to her body, and she thinks her prediction will come true. It makes no sense at all.”

“That’s not true, Twilight,” Pinkie said. “Sometimes it's a bunch of random things happening to my body at random times that supposedly predict the future. I call them ‘combos.’ For example, an ear flop, a knee twitch, and then an eye flutter means the sky is about to be graced with a beautiful rainbow!”

“Yeah, sure,” Twilight rolled her eyes.

That’s when Pinkie’s combo started. Much to my surprise, the combo was just like Pinkie said: ear flop, knee twitch, and then eye flutter. In the show, the combo was in a different order, but I guess that was due to me not being at the library.

“Hey, look.” I pointed at the sky. “It’s Rainbow Dash.”

Rainbow zoomed right past us. She was going so fast, she left behind a rainbow trail.

“See?! A rainbow! Just like Pinkie said!” I shouted.

“What was up with Rainbow Dash?” Twilight asked. “She acted like she stole something.”

Applejack then showed up out of breath.

“Get back here...ya cider-stealin’ varmint!” Applejack panted. “I know for a fact…a friend discount ain’t a real thing! I don’t care...how desperate you are...for a drink,...ya still have to pay the full price for...that mug of cider!” She took off running again. “Howdy, girls and Spike.”

“Still think it’s a coincidence, little miss doubtful?” I asked Twilight.

Twilight groaned. “I don’t believe this.”

“You don't believe it because you don't understand,” said Pinkie.

That’s when Twilight had the idea of analyzing Pinkie Pie. I decided to chip in and help her.

At our library’s basement, Twilight attached different pads to Pinkie Pie, similar to what doctors used to check the heart system in someone’s body. She also placed a glowing helmet on her head like in the show. Meanwhile, I set up a ladder next to Pinkie.

“Okay,” Twilight said. “Now when you get another twitch, Pinkie, we'll have all kinds of scientific information. Ready, Spike?”

“Ready,” I replied. I climbed the ladder with the flowerpot in my hand.

“Seeing how your tail twitches when something falls (or so you claim, Pinkie), I’m having Spike drop a flowerpot. That way, we’ll guarantee there’ll be a twitch.”

“Okie dokie loki!” said Pinkie.

I held the flowerpot up. After a few seconds, I released my grip, sending the pot crashing to the floor.

“Her tail twitched!” Twilight shouted. “Now to see if there were any changes to her body.” Twilight looked at the data paper, but she found nothing. “I don’t get it. Your tail twitched at exactly 12:13:36, and yet there were no changes to your cardiovascular, your neurological, or your endocrine system whatsoever.”

“What about her tubercolastic system or her pinkocronical system?” I asked, trying not to laugh.

“Those aren’t real systems, Spike!” Twilight retorted. “If you can take this seriously as much as I can, then we would understand why Pinkie acts like this. But now, nothing’s making sense!”

“Sometimes you just have to believe in things, even when you can't figure them out,” said Pinkie.

Unfortunately, we couldn’t find anything that could explain her Pinkie sense. Eventually, Twilight gave up and removed all the equipment from Pinkie. We all left the library’s basement after that.

“I can’t accept the fact that Pinkie can somehow miraculously predict the future with her twitches,” said Twilight. “I need to figure all this out. There has to be an explanation for all this.”

“Not everything needs an explanation,” I said to Twilight. “Do you remember that book you’ve read back in Canterlot about a stallion getting stuck in a time loop? There was no explanation as to how or why it happened, and yet you didn’t make a big fuss out of it.”

“That’s because that book was fiction. This is real life. And real life stuff has answers to everything.”

“Well, maybe...” Then the realisation hit me. My eyes widened. “Woah!”

“What? Is something wrong?”

“I...uh...I think I need to rest a bit.”

“Go ahead, Spike. I’ve got some things to do by myself anyway.” Twilight left the library.

I sat down on my bed and tried to figure out what just happened.

How did I know about what Twilight read in the past?

Looking back, I remembered when I mentioned Twilight reading a bat pony novel. I didn’t feel like I was just guessing. I actually felt like I witnessed Twilight reading that book. It was so weird.

I decided not to think about it right now.

After eating a few gems, I went out and searched for Twilight. I saw a moving bush nearby and instantly knew who it was.

"Twilight?" I asked.

Twilight freaked out and pulled me into the bush.

"Spike, don't you know better than to sneak up on ponies?" Twilight asked.

"Sorry about that," I replied. "But isn't that what you're doing with Pinkie Pie?" I pointed to Pinkie sniffing some flowers.

"No! No! I'm doing scientific research. I'm observing Pinkie Pie, scientific name: Pinkius Pieicus, in its natural habitat."

"Ah, yes." I then tried to pull off my best Australian accent: "The elusive Pieicus is a dangerous creature. Her fluffy mane and pink coat do nothin' to hide the insane personality within. One must be cautious when approachin' this particular pony."

Never had I seen a face as confused as Twilight's. "That is the weirdest thing you've said all day." She then looked over the bush. "Pinkius Pieicus is on the move. Let's go."

We followed Pinkie Pie to a nearby playground, where she rolled around like a puppy.

“Here we see the Pinkius Pieicus in its natural habitat,” I narrated. “Don’t let its playful attitude fool ya. It is capable of—”

“Knock it off, Spike!” Twilight hissed. “You sound like a kangaroo with a throat disorder!”

“Sorry.”

Twilight and I watched Pinkie as she continued to roll. Suddenly she got up, scratched her nose, and hid under a bench.

“Ah, see? That doesn’t make sense,” Twilight said. “Pinkie's hiding like something's about to fall from the sky, but a twitchy tail means something will fall, not an itchy nose.”

“Uh, Twilight? Do you hear bees?” I peeked over the bush and saw a giant swarm heading our way. “It is bees! Run!

“Spike! Shh! Pinkie can’t know—”

I didn’t have time to argue. This time, I picked up Twilight with all my might and carried her away.

“SPIKE! Put me down! Put me—” She then noticed the bees. “YAH!!” Then it was Twilight’s turn to carry me.

Thankfully, we were able to escape the bees. We learned later that a beehive nearby had shattered after breaking off from a tree.

“Okay, so an itchy nose means watch out for bees,” I said as I wrote the sense down in the notebook. “Good to know.”

We found Pinkie again at Sweet Apple Acres.

“Okay, she’s sniffing a flower,” said Twilight.

“I wonder what that means.” I said. I knew it wasn’t actually part of Pinkie Sense, but I couldn’t resist joking about it.

“It means the flower smells good.” Twilight looked through the binoculars. “Wait. I'm getting something: ear flop, eye flutter, and knee twitch.”

“Wait, so if an ear-knee-eye combo means a rainbow, doesn’t an ear-eye-knee combo mean something else?”

“What else could it mean?”

I stared at the cellar door nearby. “What if it meant something like...be careful around doors?”

“You really do believe in this stuff, don't you? Here, let me show you there's nothing to be afraid of.” Twilight walked over to the door and stood right next to it. “See? There’s nothing to be af—”

Suddenly, the door swung open and knocked Twilight down.

“Huh?” Applejack appeared from the cellar. “Oops, sorry Twi. Didn’t see ya there. You alright?”

“It did mean to be careful around doors!” I exclaimed. “I-I was only kidding.”

Twilight brushed herself off. “Let’s just get back to Pinkie Pie.”

We continued following Pinkie Pie for who knows how long. At least Twilight didn’t have to be in a wheelchair.

“Okay...take this down,” Twilight said as she looked through the binoculars. “A twitchy tail...”

“Oh, no!” I grabbed Twilight’s leg and pulled her away. “Come on! Come on! We better run and take cover!”

“Okay, fine,” Twilight rolled her eyes as we sat under a nearby tree.

Wait for it...

Suddenly, a flowerpot, an anvil, a cart of hay, and a piano all crashed on the same bench.

“Yikes, that could’ve been us,” I said. “Those delivery ponies need to be more careful.”

We watched as Pinkie Pie talked to Applejack.

“Watcha doin’?” Pinkie asked.

“I’m taking these apples to my new apple cellar,” said Applejack. “What about you, Pinkie?”

“Oh, I’m letting Twilight secretly follow me all day without me knowing.”

Twilight and I appeared from the bush.

“You mean you knew all along?!” Twilight barked.

“Well, we weren’t the best at being sneaky,” I said. “But it’s like what Applejack said. ‘If Pinkie’s a-twitchin, you better listen.’ I just wanted to make sure you didn’t get hurt, Twilight.”

Suddenly, Pinkie started shaking uncontrollably. It meant that something unexpected was going to happen, and it was going to occur at Froggy Bottom Bog. I knew what that something was. Twilight was going to believe that Pinkie Sense was real, even though she didn’t understand it.

Twilight, Applejack, Pinkie, and I ran for Froggy Bottom Bog. Pinkie was still trembling.

“I hope Fluttershy’s alright,” I said.

“I hope so, too,” said Applejack. “For all our sakes.”

We arrived at the bog in a flash. The entire place smelled like a sewer system. I tried my best not to lose my lunch. We searched around the area for the familiar yellow pegasus. I knew Fluttershy was going to be alright, but I was still worried.

It didn’t take long to find Fluttershy. She was dumping out some frogs she was carrying earlier.

“Fluttershy! You’re okay!” I jumped and hugged her. It was the first time I was able to hug my favorite pony.

“O-of course,” said a confused Fluttershy.

Everypony else was relieved as well.

“Do you still feel doozy?” I asked Pinkie.

“Hold on.” Pinkie stood still for a moment. Nothing happened. “Nope, I guess that was—” Suddenly, she started shaking again.

“Uh, oh.”

“That can’t be right,” Applejack said. “Pinkie’s doozy said somethin’ unexpected is gonna happen right here, and yet everything’s alright.”

“See? Pinkie’s sense isn’t right all the time,” said Twilight.

Then the smell of rotten eggs filled the air. We were coughing and gasping as a green fog blocked our vision. I knew what that meant.

“Twilight…” I said. “What if the doozy hasn’t happened yet?”

“What else could happen?” Twilight hacked. “Besides this sulfur fog?”

The fog soon cleared. Sure enough, there were four dragon heads staring right at us.

“Th-Th-That hydra?” I asked.

All four heads roared at us. Their voices echoed across the bog.

“RUN!!”

We all scurried out of the bog with the hydra chasing us.

“Here’s your doozy, Twilight!” I shouted.

“No time to talk!” Twilight yelled.

The chase was more or less the same as it was in the show. I didn’t get stuck, but it was still scary to be chased by a creature with more than one neck. We dashed up the hill until we arrived at the crevice.

“The hydra will be here in no time! Cross!” Twilight commanded.

One by one, all of us sans Twilight leaped across the stones. Their instability made me nervous, but I knew I wasn’t any better staying where I was. Twilight did her best to distract the hydra while Applejack and Pinkie made it across. Just like in the show, the first few columns were knocked over by the hydra, leaving Twilight trapped. Then I remembered something.

“TELEPORT, YOU DUMMY!!”

Twilight slapped her forehead before her horn glowed. In a split second, she disappeared and reappeared on the other side of the canyon, where we were. The hydra gave up and returned to the bog.

“Are you alright, Twilight?” I asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Twilight panted. “But please don’t call me ‘dummy’.”

“I’m sorry, but you were just standing there. It was like you forgot you had a horn.”

“I was under a lot of pressure, Spike. Even the smartest pony can’t think straight when so much stuff is happening at once.”

“We’re just glad yer safe,” said Applejack.

“I don't know how it happened back there, Pinkie,” said Twilight. “Whether it was a coincidence, dumb luck, or what, but you said there'd be a doozy here at Froggy Bottom Bogg, and I'd say we just had ourselves one heck of a doozy.”

Sadly, it wasn’t the doozy, because right after Twilight said that, Pinkie was shaking uncontrollably yet again.

“You’re still shaking? But we escaped that hydra,” I said.

“That wasn’t it,” said Pinkie.

“Maybe your Pinkie sense is broken.”

“It’s never broken.”

“Then what could be doozier than that hydra?” Twilight asked.

Fluttershy gasped. “Maybe it’s a scarier creature.” She then squeezed me like a giant teddy bear as the others huddled close together. Except for Twilight.

Twilight sighed. “You know what? Forget it. I don’t know how or why, but Pinkie’s sense somehow makes sense. I’ve wasted too much time figuring out how it works. Just because I don't understand it does not mean it isn’t true.”

“Wait, so you’re going to believe in Pinkie sense?” I asked.

“I guess I am,” Twilight said.

Pinkie then shook even harder. We all backed away as a lot of crazy stuff started happening to her. After all the crazy stuff, Pinkie was back to her old stuff.

“That was it!” She proclaimed. “That was the doozy! Twilight started to believe in me! I never expected that to happen! Oh, what a doozy of a doozy it was!”

We all returned to Ponyville after all those events. I wrote the friendship letter as Twilight and Pinkie put on the same umbrella hats Pinkie had worn earlier. I was going to send the letter, but I remembered what was going to happen next.

Princess Celestia landed on the balcony of the tree and took the scroll out of my hand. She then flew away.

“I’m not going to question it.”

PreviousChapters Next