• Published 12th Feb 2020
  • 979 Views, 92 Comments

Fall of an Empire - My Little Epona



History isn't always what it seems. The Fall of the Crystal Empire was very, very different from what the ancient books say....

  • ...
1
 92
 979

Heavy is the Crown

Celestia paced.

She felt distinctly uncomfortable. This wasn’t any fault of her environment—Luna's bed-chamber was small, but luxurious, and held a delicacy that seemed to fit the Moon Princess. Two of the three windows were covered by heavy curtains, but the third looked out onto the city below. The kingdom outside was mostly silent under the night sky; only occasionally broken up by the glow of a rowdy tavern, still open at this late hour.

The moon was nearly at its peak, signaling the approach of midnight. Celestia should have long since been asleep…yet still she paced, anxious and restless in this beautiful room.

Just why was she so anxious?

Celestia hated the answer to that question. She hated herself for worrying. She…well, no, she didn’t hate Luna. She couldn’t. She…didn’t know how to feel about her sister at the moment.

It’d been five days since their arrival at the Crystal Empire. As it turned out, Luna’s infatuation with the King was even more serious than Celestia had originally thought.

In fact, it was serious to the point of being downright dangerous. And Luna…well, she was so blind to it that she turned against Celestia’s hoof and marched away like a toddler throwing a tantrum. After that, Celestia had barely a chance to talk with her.

Something was decidedly wrong with her sister...something was going to be fixed tonight.

Celestia abruptly stopped pacing, flaring her wings. It suddenly seemed as if the walls were caving in around her, squeezing the breath out of her lungs and burying her in a pile of glass-sharp shards of crystal. She was itching to break through the window and soar away, far from this room and what would take place in it.

But…she didn’t, of course.

That would be ridiculous, not to mention completely inappropriate for a Princess.

This wasn’t the first time she’d felt that. The feeling of the walls crumbling in around her was a common one, a sensation that followed her everywhere she went and struck at the most inconvenient of times.

In time, she’d learned to control it; but now it seemed worse than ever.

Celestia folded her wings again, even if it was like bending an iron bar with just her hooves, then continued her restless pacing. Her mind ran through what she planned to say to her sister, spinning out endless scenarios for what could happen.

…Somehow, they always ended in darkness and despair. Not exactly the most healthy mindset for what she was hoping would be nothing more than a polite talk.

Luna was a reasonable pony—most of the time, that is. It would be fine.

…But oh, why was Celestia so nervous?

She could face roaring griffons, an all-powerful chaos god, even politicians—a remarkable feat within itself.

But why, why couldn’t she simply face her sister?

The Princess grabbed a passing windowsill to keep herself from wearing tracks in the carpet, which just happened to be the window currently open to the view of the warm, summer-like darkness outside. Celestia took a deep breath, letting her eyes flutter closed with the familiar movement.

It would be fine. They would talk reasonably and it would be fine.

The words repeated like a mantra in her head, drowning out the dark truth lurking in the shadows—the truth that Luna was a volatile, unpredictable young mare, dangerous to talk too.

It would be fine. Everything would be fine.

The Princess took another deep breath, feeling some of the ever-present tension in her shoulders relax. She now felt more confident about the situation and let her eyes wander out the window, tracing the subtle patterns in the stars above.

As they always did, the glowing points of light pulled a memory to the forefront of her mind; a memory that wasn’t altogether unwelcome, but certainly not helpful in the current situation. It was of a tall, slender, white-coated figure who’s pale blue mane wafted about as if blown by an invisible, ever-present wind. The image was fuzzy in Celestia’s mind, and the face itself was blurred beyond recognition, but Celestia could still remember the cutie mark.

Three pale yellow stars, surrounded by an aura of dark blue. The cutie mark of Queen Stellar...of her mother.

Celestia bit back a sigh, wishing she could recall more of The Queen other than the faint sensation of her voice and a cutie mark. The Sun Princess herself, unsurprisingly, had been closer to her father, King Solaris; and even his square, friendly muzzle was beginning to fade from her memory. But at least she could call to mind their encounters…and they were surrounded in an ethereal kind of light, enshrined in the glow of childish innocence.

However, her mother had been a familiar, beautiful, but distant presence throughout the stretch of Celestia’s foalhood.

Something like the stars were to her now.

The Queen had always known how to talk to Luna—it seemed only natural, they were both mares of the night, after all. That gene had clearly fallen flat when it came to Celestia, leaving her with agonizing insecurity and flimsy confidence in this moment.

“Mother…please help me now,” she murmured under her breath, unsure if she was speaking to her as a goddess or simply as a deceased ancestor. Whatever it was…the stars made no response.

Celestia turned suddenly from the window, yanking the curtains violently closed behind her.

For some reason, she could no longer bear to look upon the night sky.

A careful, quiet patter of light hoofsteps outside of the door jerked Celestia from her churning thoughts. She shifted nervously, turning to face the fragile slab of wood. It creaked open slowly, revealing the slender frame of Luna, who glanced back as she entered, therefore missing Celestia. The dawn-bringer took a deep breath.

“Luna,” she said sternly.

“Tia!” the Moon Princess jerked backward, pressing against the closed door with an expression that was both guilty and alarmed, “w-what are you doing in my room?”

“Waiting for you.” Internally, Celestia winced at her tone—she sounded like an enraged mother who’s teenager had missed curfew. "Do you have any idea just how late it is?"

“It's very late,” Luna said, raising her eyebrows in a way that gave a mild sting of annoyance to the older Alicorn. She looked so smug, as if she knew something that Celestia didn’t. “What’s it to you?”

“Come,” Celestia said, brushing away the irritation. She couldn't afford to be irritated at the moment. “We need to talk.”

Luna frowned, making Celestia bite her lip and realize she had no plans for what to do if Luna chose to defy her, as she looked very close to doing now. Would she simply turn around? Leave? What would happen then?

The young Princess heaved a sigh, rolling her eyes, but trotted forward reluctantly.

"What do you want?" she asked.

Celestia would have been relieved…if what was to come next wasn’t even worse.

She took a seat on the edge of Luna's bed, which was just as light and airy as the rest of the room, motioning for the Moon Princess to do the same. To her surprise, Luna actually obeyed, placing herself a few feet from Celestia.

The dawn-bringer eyed her sister.

Luna...was confusing. Her face was turned downwards, an odd expression on her face. Did she know what was happening?

....maybe she did. Celestia stifled a sigh of relief—this would make it...somewhat easier.

Celestia cleared her throat, then when that didn’t prompt anything from Luna, did it again, but louder. The Moon Princess’s eyes snapped to her sister, an, oddly, annoyed frown replacing the quiet stare.

“We…should talk,” Celestia said, unsure of how to feel about Luna’s current mood, “about King Sombra.”

“About Sombra?” Luna raised an eyebrow. “...okay, I suppose."

“We're leaving tomorrow, and there's an urgent conversation we must have before that,” Celestia said, forcing the words out past the lump of nerves in her throat. If Luna noticed that her sister’s voice sounded slightly choked, she made no comment. “Mainly because I assume that you’d prefer to do this face-to-face, rather than over some spell.”

“Do what?” the younger Princess asked, looking confused. She seemed to be completely missing what the conversation was supposed to be about.

Had she noticed anything during the week? Celestia’s constant glares, the hints that she should do something other than spend time with the King, had all of that flown over her head?

Goodness, she really was blind. Celestia had come with this conversation none too soon, it seemed.

The Sun Princess bit back a sigh, steeling herself to address the matter head-on. Luna needed to hear this.

It was for the greater good.

“You are very, very fond of him,” she said, trying to make her voice as gentle as she could.

“Well, of course!” Luna said, interrupting before her sister could continue. Her tone made it clear she was surprised by Celestia's addressing of the matter. “It’s only natural, right? We...are getting married.”

“Yes, I can see how that would be your mindset,” Celestia sighed, more to herself than to Luna. “Well, that is what I need to talk to you about. You need to stop.”

Luna flinched at the harsh words, though it seemed to be more of an automatic reaction, rather than saying that she understood the full meaning. Celestia forced herself not to mirror the movement—it had sounded so much gentler in her head than it did aloud.

“What do you mean?” the Moon Princess asked. She didn’t sound sad, or angry, just…confused.

“You have to let go,” Celestia tried, but it didn’t sound any softer. Perhaps there really was no way to voice it gently.

Maybe this wouldn’t go as well as she hoped.

“You’re very, very attached to him,” she rushed on before Luna could say anything else. “Too attached. And it’s dangerous—you know that. You’re young, Luna…and I know you haven’t had to face the danger of earthly attachments such as this. But you should’ve known better—you know that this is not our way.”

“What…I…how can you say this to me?” Luna stared at her sister with something between shock and confusion in her eyes. It seemed that the full meaning of Celestia’s implications were sinking in. “Is it a crime to be happy? Is it a crime to share a bond?”

“It’s not a crime,” Celestia assured her, feeling some of her initial worry seep back. “But it’s unwise—very, very unwise. As Alicorns, our sole duty is to protect Equestria. We are the guardians of all ponykind—and that is our priority. Not…love.”

Priorities?” Luna echoed, eyes widening. “What is that even supposed to mean? He’s a king. This whole marriage is for the better of Equestria anyway! And it was your idea!”

“I know he is a King,” Celestia said, struggling to keep her emotions under control. “But he is also mortal. Time passes far too swiftly for us, you know that. The years will melt away before your eyes, and you will move on, staying youthful forever. He will be left behind, Luna. You know that.”

“That doesn’t matter!” the young Princess declared hotly, springing to her hooves. “At least, not to me it doesn’t! We will know and love each other in his lifetime, and I will have those memories wh…when I do move on!”

“Those memories will only make it worse!” Celestia pressed, rising from her own seat. “And it will matter, very much so, in fact. You’ll be left alone for the rest of eternity, Luna. Can’t you see what that means? You will linger, facing nothing but grief till the end of your days! He will die, Luna!” Now her own temper was rising. She was trying to remain calm, but she desperately just wanted Luna to listen to her.

Luna flinched at the near-shout, backing away as if she expected to be hit.

Celestia caught sight of the borderline terrified expression on her sister’s face, forcing herself to take a deep breath and calm down a bit.

“No more, please,” Luna whispered, her voice shaky. She glanced to the side, squeezing her eyes shut as if trying to hide the tears spilling out of the corners.

“The crown we bear is heavy,” Celestia said, trying to model her voice after the memory of her mother’s—regal, gentle, kind...understandable.

“Oh, why does it have to be mine?” Luna cried, flinging herself to the ground in a sudden fit. “Curse immortality, and all of the vile responsibilities it carries!”

“Cursing your duty will not make it go away, Lunaris,” Celestia said mildly—or at least, what she hoped was mildly—addressing her sister by her rarely-heard full name.

“I KNOW!” without warning, the younger Princess flared up again, like an angry, blue flame. She flung her crown from her head with enough force to shatter it and it would have been destroyed, had Celestia not caught hold of it in her magic.

Luna stared at the dawn-bringer, eyes smoldering with a strange, undecipherable flame. Celestia internally winced at hate broiling in her sister’s turquoise eyes.

“It is our duty, Princess Lunaris,” she said, hoping the sound of the Moon Princess’s real name would knock some sense into her. “We must bear it, whether you find it to your liking or not. Just as you must let go of your fantastical connection to the King.”

“…you would do that,” the words were not a question, they were a solid realization of reality. “You would be so callous, so cold, so unfeeling as to make us separate our hearts…yet still join in the bond of marriage?” The fire drained slowly from Luna, till she looked tired—very tired, almost as tired as Celestia was.

The Sun Princess had no response for her sister’s accusation. What could she say, anyway? No matter what was exchanged, Luna would still think of her in such a way. It was completely unavoidable.

And so, she was silent.

Seconds passed and with each one Luna seemed to shrivel before Celestia’s eyes, folding in on herself as if she wished she could disappear.

“Don’t think of it as a…marriage,” Celestia blurted, immediately wishing she’d kept quiet. Well, now she had to continue. “Think of it as another coronation. Just a title. That was all it was meant to be from the beginning.” She sighed. “I didn’t mean for you two to fall in love.”

Now, she knew she’d said too much. Luna’s face contorted, the pitiful beginnings of a sob tearing themselves from her throat. Celestia almost wished she could reach out and hug her sister, but…she would only be refused. Shame welled in her.

Slowly, Luna turned and left, trotting dejectedly for the door. It swung quietly closed behind her.

Celestia inhaled deeply, squeezing her eyes shut as her wings slowly flared open. She was exhausted—drained, empty. Her limbs trembled beneath her, threatening to give out at any second.

She felt trapped—trapped within these beautiful, cruel walls; trapped beneath the weight of the crown that forced her to do such things to her sister.

She was right.

She was right.

Author's Note:

.....Is it conceited to say I'm crying over my own story?
Also, you can't listen to this and tell me this ISN'T Celestia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUjayqeu8SA