• Published 22nd Jan 2020
  • 2,570 Views, 144 Comments

Alicorn Princess - Bad Dragon



Your memories make you who you are. But what’s left of you when they are stolen?

  • ...
23
 144
 2,570

6 - The Book I Spy

The prospect of me warming water with body temperature was ludicrous at best. Especially because I wore waterproof clothing that hindered temperature exchange further. I was fighting against cooling from evaporating water, radiation from the surface and convection at the same time. There was no point to it.

I perked up my ears as I looked toward the exit. It was quiet.

I stepped to the stairs and listened again. Nothing.

I crawled up the stairs and peeked in the library. The coast seemed clear. But there was something in the air. I could hardly detect the smell, but the presence of a heavy odor was undeniable. I couldn’t identify it. There weren’t many sensory memories to go on. A puff of smoke rising from a side room gave me a clue about what the smell could be.

I figured that Twilight’s pyromania would keep her occupied and hoped that the castle wouldn’t burn down. With each step I slowed my hooves just before they hit the floor, making almost no sound in my gait to the library. When I reached my destination undetected, I slowly moved toward the lower shelf I had my sights on.

With my mouth, I grabbed the book that Spike’d been reaching for earlier that day.

“Hey!” The sound behind me echoed through the hallway.

I twitched and turned around. The loud complaint came from another room. “Wow, a picture of the Princess of the Night! I’m definitely keeping you. Everypony hating on you for a thousand years. You know what it’s like to not belong, don’t you, Luna?”

From that point on, it was obvious to me what the smell was. She was burning something. Pictures, no doubt.

I slid back to the basement with the book in my mouth.

The anticipation made my skin crawl. The evidence for her transgression accumulated, but I needed a final confirmation to be sure.

When I came to the barrel in the basement, I put the book on the floor beside it and slid myself into the water. I kept my ears pinned toward the stairs in case my resentful host came to check on me.

I leaned over the edge and looked at the book: Legendary Artifacts.

I opened it and hoofed through the pages. Each one had a picture and text description below it. I visualized Twilight’s artifact around her neck and compared it with images as I shuffled through the book. There! A perfect match.

Crystal based energy capacitors were designed to resonate with brainwaves, displacing them in the process. The needed potential can only be achieved when no conductor is present within its bounds.

All the talismans were disposed of soon after being invented. They were supposed to be used to invade the memories of those who opposed the tyranny in the Crystal Empire. The prototypes were deemed unreliable. Because failure was illegal in the Crystal Empire at the time, the inventor met his end. He was burned alive on the pyre of his life’s research.

By unknown means, some talismans did survive the purge. They changed many owners via the black market through the ages. They are deemed dangerous to the health and wellbeing of ponies and are to be confiscated by the highest authority upon being found.

Author's Note:

Don't forget to participate in the Comment section minigames when you're done reading this chapter.