• Published 20th Aug 2012
  • 4,331 Views, 179 Comments

Don't Stop Believing - R_O_Y_G_B_I_V



Lazy, carefree and lucrative meets spunky, sporty and rash. But the latter depends on the first.

  • ...
12
 179
 4,331

Chapter 2:

Back in Equestria, Twilight Sparkle, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna all felt the signs of the massive explosion of magical energy Rainbow Dash had produced. When she caught whiff of it, Twilight immediately sent for spike so that she could write to Celestia about her findings. But it seemed that she didn't need to, because the next thing she knew, spike had burped up a letter with the Princess' seal.

She opened the letter and it read:

My faithful student Twilight.

As I'm sure you've noticed, it appears as though there has been a massive release in magical energy near the border of the griffon kingdom. Since we both know that there isn't a griffon alive talented in the arcane arts, I have reason to believe that the outburst was brought on by a pony. I've sent a chariot to take you to their border where you will meet up with Luna and I to help investigate. You are dismissed from all other duties until further notice. We don't know if this was an accident, or planned. And with that kind of power, we need to be sure of who, or what we're dealing with.

Yours truly: Princess Celestia De Sol

Just after she was done reading the letter, there was a knock at the door. It was her big brother shining armor accompanied by two Pegasus royal guard. Twilight nodded at them in acknowledgement and hopped onto the chariot awaiting her. It was clear that this was an urgent call, and so she didn't waste any time with friendly greetings, only shooting her brother a brief smile...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Back on earth, Ray was walking into his apartment with Rainbow Dash still on his back. When they had entered, the first thing that Rainbow noticed was the fairly small size of the place. It had a small living room with a couch and a small coffee table in the middle. The living room was connected to the small kitchenette; separated only by a change from carpet to tile. In between the den and the kitchen was a small hallway that had four doors, two doors per side. The house couldn't even hold a candle to the cloud mansion that Rainbow Dash was used to. But she didn't mind the place. It had a nice, humble feel to it.

The next thing Rainbow Dash noticed, was the curious gaze of two children -one boy, one girl- sitting on the floor of the den. Their brows quirked in confusion at the new guest.

Ray walked over to the couch and sat Rainbow Dash up on the piece of furniture. Then he turned to the two kids on the floor who were still staring at Rainbow Dash, who smiled nervously back at them.

"This is Jesse. She'll be staying with us for a while, so be nice and don't meddle" Ray said, addressing the children with a stern, older brotherly voice. Rainbow Dash took note of the girl whispering back into the smaller boys ear.

"Jesse?" Rainbow Dash asked. Ray just turned to her and placed his finger over his lip, giving her a harsh glare, causing her to shudder and simply nod her head.

"Y-yeah, Jesse... that's me!" Rainbow said, scratching the back her her neck sheepishly.

The two kids just shrugged and went about their business of staring at the small television across the room. It was playing some sort of cartoon with a talking sponge and star-fish. But it sounded like the characters were speaking in some unintelligible gibberish. Rainbow Dash made a mental note to investigate the strange moving paintings later.

Ray turned to address Rainbow Dash, this time regarding her with his usual blank expression instead of the sternness her demonstrated earlier. "This is Dante-" he said lazily, gesturing to the boy of the two, "- and this is Florence" he continued, pointing at the girl. "Their my siblings. Dan is twelve, and Flo is sixteen" he finished.

Dante gave a half-assed attempt at waving to Rainbow Dash and saying hello, but only managed to lift his arm and mumble incoherently. Florence gave a more friendly greeting; standing up and giving her a warm grin, introducing herself and what not.

"So Jesse, are you from around here? Or have you come from somewhere else?" Florence asked. Rainbow saw that her Equestrian (or English, whatever) wasn't as good as her older brothers. She seemed to have a funny way of pronouncing her words, and she didn't say them very confidently.

Rainbow Dash twitched a little at the use of her alias, but she knew that Ray must have given her that wordless warning for a reason, so she went along with it. "Um, no I'm actually from out of town. Out of province actually" she said, smiling jokingly.

Florence was silent for a few moments, and then nodded her head. Then she said, "well, welcome to Toronto. And welcome to Ontario to I guess" giggling at the last bit and holding out her hand to shake.

Rainbow Dash smiled at her warmly and bumped her hand with her fist, drawing out a confused look from Florence. Then she turned the boy on the ground ignoring Flo's confused expression. "What about you, what's your deal squirt?" she addressed jokingly. But the boy just sat there, staring at her. Rainbow gave a nervous chuckle, and asked again "what, don't you speak equestrian? Or English or whatever you call it here?"

The boy just sat there, still staring blankly at her. Florence and Ray were chuckling to themselves, making Rainbow Dash blush a bit in embarrassment.

"What?" She asked defensively.

"He doesn't speak a lick of English RD" Ray said still laughing a little. Rainbow caught a bit of his smile, which was a lot different from his usual sarcastic demeanor. It was warm and friendly, instead of his cold and uncaring expression he usually wore.

However it didn't last as long as she'd liked, and Ray walked over to the confused boy and leaned down, telling him "elle était juste dire bonjour".

The boy then blushed slightly, and turned to regard Rainbow. He was able to manage a simple "Hello" after being briefly instructed on how to by Ray.

Rainbow Dash laughed at the display, and asked "What was he speaking just then?"

"French" Florence answered smiling.

"What's that?"

"A language we speak here in Canada" Ray answered bluntly and sarcastically, earning himself a glare from Rainbow Dash. He just gave a cocky smirk in return.

Florence laughed nervously, and said "We're supposed to be a bilingual country here, but not everyone knows proper french. It makes it hard for him, so we're trying to teach him English" she gestured to Dante, who was back at watching his cartoons. "As you can see, it's not going very well" she sighed and rested her head in her hand. "But I'm glad that you'll be staying with us! I'll try my best to make you feel at home" Florence finished with a warm smile.

Rainbow grinned back. "At least someone here is nice" she yelled over to where Ray who was in the kitchen drinking some water. Ray simply gave her another smirk as he finished his glass of water and walked over to the den where everyone else was situated.

"Alright guys, clear out. I have to talk to Jesse about some things. D'accord les gens, déguerpir. Je dois parler à Jesse de certaines choses" Ray said to his brother and sister.

"M-mais spongebob" Dante started to protest.

"Je ne soins. Aller" Ray said firmly, pointing down the hall.

Florence was already gone, and Dante was on his way down the hall with his head hung low. Rainbow Dash flinched a little, not knowing what he had said to him. Who knew, what with his attitude and all.

But before that train of though could go any further, Ray turned and looked at her with a blank, yet purposeful stare. "So, tell me what happened. Or at least what you claim to have happened" he said in completely serious tone.

Rainbow Dash gulped at the tensity, but this man did probably save her immobile new body, and even offered to take her in asking nothing in return. Or not yet at least... He deserved an explanation.

And so she explained to him. She explained how she was really from a place called Equestria, a land filled with ponies and ruled by the two Alicorn sisters Luna and Celestia who controlled the sun and moon. And how in this place she was a pony. A Pegasus to be specific. The fastest Pegasus in all of Equestria. She made that part very clear.

She went on to tell him that she thinks that she might have ripped a hole in the dimensional barrier with her silver rainboom as she liked to call it. And how the warp-zone had transformed her former pony body into this new human one and teleported her here to this weird new world.

Ray had remained silent throughout the entire explanation, not moving an inch. But when Rainbow Dash had finished recalling her story, Ray had an icredulous look that practically scream are you fucking with me?

Ray was silent for a few more seconds, trying to discern whether or not the girl in front of him was absolutely bonkers, or if she was in fact just fucking with him. So he decided to ask. "Are you fucking with me right now? Or do you actually believe everything you just said?"

Rainbow Dash winced at the accusation. After she had heard herself explaining her situation, she could see how it would be hard to believe. "Look, I know it sounds extremely far fetched. But there's no other way that it would make any sense!" she exclaimed.

"Well, if I were extremely gullible and stupid, I might believe your theory. It makes sense if you disregard quantum mechanics, natural physics and believe in trans-dimensional surfing via high speeds and body shifting brought on by said universal transport" Ray said sarcastically. "But if what you say about your body is true, we'll be able to find out when we get you a physical" he finished.

"Alright, I have no idea about what you said in that first bit, but if getting a physical means you'll believe me, then fine, where and when do I get one?" Rainbow Dash asked.

Ray sighed and said "well I have to book you an appointment, and it'll probably be in a couple of days to a week if we're unlucky. So in the meantime, I suppose we should just wait until you get your memory back and get you used to normal society since you seem to be lacking in the knowledge of modern social standards..."

Rainbow Dash just nodded, not having anything much else to say... surprisingly.

"So, are your legs broken or did you pull a muscle or what?" Ray asked.

Rainbow Dash said nothing, suddenly finding the floor very interesting. When Ray addressed her again, her blush didn't go unnoticed. She didn't want to admit that she couldn't do something so simple as walking, but if she didn't, then she'd be stuck on this couch forever.

"I-I..."

"yeeeessss?" Ray asked sarcastically, drawing out the word.

"I-i d-don't know-"

"Don't know what" Ray deadpanned.

Rainbow Dash's face reddened more, and she shouted "I don't know how to walk on two feet okay?!"

"..." Ray stared blankly into Rainbow Dash's eyes. And stared... And stared....... And stared...

"... What?" She asked nervously.

"Stand up" Ray said.

"I just told you, I can't do any of that!" Rainbow defended. But Ray just walked over to her and lifted her off the couch onto her own two feet. Once he was sure that she was steady, he told her to wait there while he moved the coffee table out of the way to make a clear, open path for Rainbow Dash to learn how to walk.

Ray then walked around behind Rainbow Dash and gently placed his hand on her back, making her blush at the contact.

"Wh-what are you d-doing?" She stuttered out.

"Well, you've got to learn how to walk sometime. And with muscles like these, one might mistake you for a marathon runner" Ray replied, noticing the presence of strong back and leg muscles from where he's felt so far. (Giggity).

"Well, I was Equestria's number one flier after all. So it's not like sports aren't my thing" she said cockily, soaking up the small, uncharacteristic compliment. It was more of a statement but Rainbow's ego couldn't tell the difference.

"Yeah yeah, get walking" Ray remarked rolling his eyes. He gave a light push on Rainbow's back forcing her to fall over. But before she could hit the ground Ray caught her.

He sighed and said "Come on RD, you have to put out your foot or you'll keep falling".

"Fine fine" She replied. "Y'know walking on two legs is harder than you make it look" she defended.

"So that's why seven billion people can do it?" he countered cockily.

Rainbow Dash let out a frustrated growl, and tried out using her legs to help Ray lift her back up. She found that she didn't weigh very much. Not that she weighed an overly amount as a Pegasus, but she felt really light. Oh yeah... Ray was lifting her... Well Rainbow Dash would have none of that, and tried pried Ray's hands out from under her arms. When she used her legs, she found that this body made it quite easy to stand back up.

Once she was standing once more, she tried taking a step. But when she did, she faltered and grabbed Ray's hand before she could fall again. She looked back up at Ray who nodded in acknowledgement and said "here, why don't you use my hand for support and you try to take some steps".

Rainbow Dash agreed with a simple "mhm" and continued her death grip of Ray's hand. She noticed that it felt quite rough and strong compared to her soft and slender hands. She wondered if it was just a gender difference, or if he had some conditioning to attain such calloused hands.

On Rainbow's second attempt, she was much ore successful. With Ray's assistance, she was able to take three steps without stumbling. By the sixth attempt, she was able walk freely while holding Ray's hand. Rainbow dash was now determined to do on her own, and so she let go of Ray's support when she felt she was sturdy enough to stand.

Naturally though, she fell right down to the ground after four wobbly steps. Ray was to far away to make it in time she she ended up on her knees on the floor. But when Ray went to ask if she was okay and help her up again, she had already started to get up on her own. It took her a few tries, but eventually, she was able to get up off the ground and stand all by herself.

"You're doing good Rainbow, keep trying" Ray encouraged,.

Rainbow Dash smiled at her achievements like a toddler, and continued to practice her steps, still stumbling every once and a while, but not falling any more.

"So Ray, about that name you gave me, Jesse, what's with that?" She asked, eyes still trained on her walking feet.

"Rainbow Dash isn't exactly a normal name here... by any means at all" He explained lazily. "You already stand out enough with that rainbow hair of yours. But we're in the city, so it's not totally unacceptable here. But yeah, when we're in public, I'm going to call you Jesse. Jesse Martin. And if anyone asks, you're a friend from France".

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes and said "Well fine. But you guys have the weird names! I'm at least named after what I do. I have rainbow hair and I love to dash. What kind of name is Ray? You're definitely no Ray of sunshine that''s for sure" she finished sarcastically.

For a few moments Ray was silent. What Rainbow Dash had said had actually made sense. But then he said, "well, we still use different names. And Rainbow isn't a recognized name, and you won't be taken seriously if you go by it. Hell you're lucky if you get taken seriously at all with your hair".

"The hair stays. It's the last thing I have from my world, and you're not taking it" Rainbow stopped, turning to meet his gaze.

"Fine, fine keep your hair" he said nonchalantly. "I like it anyways".

Rainbow Dash blushed a bit at the actual compliment he had given her. "I like your hair too..." she said quietly, earning a smirk from Ray.

"Well, you seem to be walking fine" Ray speculated, seeing that Rainbow Dash had been pacing perfectly while they were talking.

Noticing this, Rainbows eyes lit up and she squealed giddily at her new found ability. She even jumped a bit, but fell when she landed, only to be caught by Ray once again.

"Thanks" she said under her voice shyly.

Ray grinned a little and said "no worries". He lifted Rainbow Dash back up and looked down the hallway, "hey, under that jacket of mine you're still naked. You look about Flo's size, maybe she'll have some clothes for you to borrow" he said gesturing down the hall.

"What's the big idea with that anyways? Clothes are so restricting and uncomfortable. Why does everyone here always wear them?" Rainbow asked with a little bit of disdain.

Ray shrugged and said "it gets cold out so we put clothes on to keep ourselves warm. And then in the summer we wear them for fashion reasons, and to keep our modesty. It's a weird society thing, but I'm not complaining. I wouldn't want to walk around stark naked all the time. It'd be weird. Also you can be arrested for not wearing clothes, so you're getting dressed properly".

Rainbow grunted and nodded in agreement, making her way down the hall with Rainbow Dash. Once the were at the first door to right, Ray knocked on the door. When the door was opened, reavealing Florence, Ray asked "hey Flo, Jesse here doesn't have any clothes right now besides what she's wearing. Her stuff got lost so do you think you could spare anything?"

Florence took a second to process what she'd just heard. But then said "sure! Come on in Jesse, I can help you pick something out if you'd like" she smiled.

"Sure, that's be nice" Rainbow replied in a friendly manner , grinning nervously. "I'm not really great at clothes selection, so I'll need all the help I can get" she joked.

Florence giggled and brought her in. Once Rainbow was inside, Florence turned to her brother and said "désolé Ray, les filles ne seulement" with a giggle. Ray smirked and turned to go sit on the couch.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Back in Flo's room, Rainbow Dash was sitting on Flo's bed while she went through her closet trying to figure out what would go well with what.

"What do you think about this?" Florence asked, holding out a pair of skinny jeans and a long sleeve shirt.

"I dunna"

"Yeah your right" Flo said with her hand on her hips. She put a finger to her lips in though, and came across something that she thought might play to Rainbow's spunky nature.

"How about these?" She asked, holding up black shorts, a blue ribbed tank top and rainbow stripped thigh high socks.

"Here, go put these on. You'll look great I'm sure of it. And Ray will totally love it too" Flo said with a mischievous grin. Making Rainbow Dash blush and stammer incoherently. Flo just waved her off and gave Rainbow Dash a sports bra and some panties before she went to go get changed so that she wouldn't be walking around comando...

A few Rainbow Dash walked out fully dressed in the new outfit. Florence was outside the bathroom waiting for her so that she could see how she looked. Obviously with Flo being the girly teenager that she was, squealing ensued and many compliments were given. Some even in French.

"Ah, Tu es très belle Jesse!" Flo exclaimed clapping her hands.

"I don't know what that means, but that you" Rainbow said, laughing nervously, scratching the back of her neck.

"Don't worry about it" Flo said. "Now, let's go get a man's opinion on this" she smirked. "Ray, Dante, venir ici!"

Ray got up from the couch and walked over to where he was called and Dante came from out of his room and did the same. When they got there, Dante blushed and walked over to Ray, whispering something into his ear. Ray whispered back and Dante said "You look very pretty" in a harsh accent.

Rainbow Dash leaned down Dante's height and rubbed the top of his head saying "thanks squirt" only causing the boy's face to redden even deeper. After that he went back into his room and closed the door. 'What a cutie' Rainbow thought to herself.

Rainbow Dash then turned over to meet Ray's gaze. She could see him giving her a thorough inspection. She blushed a little under his gaze, but when she was about to say something she saw him smirk.

"Well, you don't look hideous" he said mockingly.

Rainbow Dash was a little upset that Ray put it in such a way, but blushed deeper when Flo whispered into her ear that that was Ray's way of saying that he liked it. For some reason, that made Rainbow Dash feel good. She never really cared about her appearance to often, but she felt nice to know that someone thought she looked good.

Ray clapped his hands conclusively and said, "well now that you can walk, and now that you've got some clothes on for the day, why don't we go out for a bit and get you some of your own necessities. Then we can work on getting that appointment".

Rainbow Dash nodded in agreement and said "okay, I'm kind of curious about this Toronto place anyways".

"Good,, because you're about to see a lot of it" Ray said once more. "Flo, you're coming with us okay? I haven't the eye for fashion that you do, and you can show Rain- Jesse all of the girly places" Ray addressed his sister, who gave a nod and a grin.

"Right then, let's go. You can borrow Flo's old running shoes" Ray finished, pointing towards a pair of old blue sneakers.

Rainbow Dash put them on, and Ray grabbed his keys and bag from the door. And with that, they were off to their next great adventure in the land of Toronto Ontario Canada North America Earth Solar System Milky Way Galaxy Universe.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________


A/N: Hey boils and ghouls, I really wanted to get this chapter up yesterday, but I got called into work... And then took a nap after work... So yeah. As always, please read and review, if you haven't already like and favorite this, yeah yeah you know the drill... If you think I rushed through some of the parts, please let me know. It helps me to become a better writer for you to enjoy! Oh and I fixed the italics on the first chapter so... yeah...Whelp, I will see you all on Sunday with a brand new chapter! Have a good night. Or morning. Or afternoon!