• Published 15th Jan 2020
  • 830 Views, 3 Comments

Cinder Star - Nocturn Dreamwrite



Long before Equestria was formed, a young earth pony mare named Cinder Star living in Unicornia is abused by her step-family, but one magical night, some help from a small friend, and a prince's tender heart, may change her life forever.

  • ...
 3
 830

Cinder Star: The Glass Slippered Pony

Cinder Star

The Glass Slippered Pony

By Nocturn Dreamwrite

Once upon a time, before the creation of Equestria, when the three tribes were as prosperous as the lands they lived upon, there lived in the earth pony tribe a good stallion who was a wool merchant. He lived with his wife, and their young daughter, Star, a chestnut brown filly, with a burnt red mane and tail, who was their pride and joy. They named her Star because she was born with a small, white birth mark, just under her left ear, in the shape of a star in the night sky.

Being a merchant, the stallion thought it best to move his business, family, and himself to the Kingdom of Unicornia, where a better profit could be made. Despite being an earth pony among unicorns, the merchant’s business was indeed successful, and he made a name for himself, and as Star grew into a young mare, she was both naturally beautiful and kind, giving freely, and caring of animals. She was especially good friends with the sheep that her father kept. Star even made a small house in the garden for breezies, (tiny, fairy-like ponies), if one should ever happen by of course.

All three were happy together for many years, but sadly, the merchant’s wife grew ill and died. Time passed, and, after mourning, the merchant married again, this time to the gentile unicorn mare, Lady Fragrance. She had a purple coat with a gray mane, and two daughters of her own, Rose Petal, who was the same age as Star, and Cherry Blossom, who was a year younger. Rose Petal’s coat was roan red with a pink mane, while Cherry Blossom’s coat was instead pink, with a yellow mane. The merchant had hoped the two sisters would become good friends with Star. Unfortunately, fate struck again, as soon after, the merchant returned home from a journey ill, and did not recover. His loyal daughter, Star, tended to him, but he died, leaving the family’s fortune to Lady Fragrance.

With the merchant gone, Lady Fragrance’s true self was revealed. She was selfish and cruel. In truth, she never cared for the merchant for he was an earth pony. Her only interest in him was his fortune. She made money from the perfumes she mixed, but she wanted more. This was out of her own greed, but also because she spent a great deal of money spoiling her two daughters.

To make matters worse, Lady Fragrance and her daughters were jealous of Star’s beauty. Rose Petal and Cherry Blossom were both pretty, but their bad manner, which they received from their mother, made them seem ugly. They could not understand how a common earth pony could have such beauty to rival even the finest of unicorns, so they took away her fine dresses, and anything she had of value. Then they reduced her to a servant of the house, and forced her to live in the attic, ordering Star to carry out any and all duties and wishes they had. With nowhere else to go, Star had no other choice, but to endure her step-family’s ill treatment of her.

Star performed all of the household’s cleaning, cooking, mending, and sheep tending. During the winter months it was too cold for her to sleep up in the attic, so instead she lay by the kitchen’s fireplace, near the cinders and dying ambers of the fire. Because of this, soot from the fireplace came to rest on her face, and cover her coat. Soon after her unicorn stepsisters laughed, and called her ‘Cinder Star’ from then on.

Cinder Star, as she accepted that as her name, was lonely and miserable. Some nights she would cry herself to sleep, but she remained as kind and beautiful as ever, despite dirt and soot. She missed her mother and father terribly, and would often sigh sadly at the picture of her father which had remained on the wall. Her hope, that someday this nightmare she was living would end, and she could be happy again, was just about all she had left to hang on to one day at a time.

One summer’s day, it was announced that the King of Unicornia was throwing a royal ball at the castle, in honor of his son, Prince Majestic, and everyone in the kingdom, be they royal, or common, was invited. As the purpose of the occasion was to find a wife for his son, all eligible, young fillies and mares were specifically requested to attend, and an invitation written in gold letters was delivered to each house and family in the kingdom.

Naturally, when the King’s page, who was passing out the invitations door to door, came to the house in which Cinder Star lived, Cinder Star was just as excited as every unicorn. She thanked the page, and then hurriedly gave the invitation to her stepmother and stepsisters who read it with glee. Lady Fragrance was very pleased with this news. “Quickly, my fillies,” she said, meaning Rose Petal and Cherry Blossom, “You must make yourselves look your very best tonight so that the prince will certainly choose one of you as his bride. Wear your smoothest silks, and your sweetest perfumes.”

Lady Fragrance and her daughters were very pleased with themselves, until Cinder Star timidly, but bravely asked, “Please? May I go to the ball as well?”

“Her! The dirty wretch!” exclaimed Rose Petal.

“Don’t let the filthy earth pony come mother!” protested Cherry Blossom.

Lady Fragrance gave Cinder Star a wicked grin. “Well… I suppose you can go,” she answered. “IF you find something suitable to wear tonight, IF you prepare MY daughters so that they are at their best, and IF ALL your regular housework is finished, then I suppose you can go.”

“Oh yes, yes!” replied Cinder Star happily. “Thank you, Stepmother. I will! I’m sure!”

“We shall see,” said Lady Fragrance, with a wink to her daughters.

. . .

Prince Majestic was not happy as he walked down the castle hall. He was a kind prince, and quite handsome with his white coat, and light shaded blue mane and tail, but he wished that his father wasn’t again pushing him so hard to find a bride. As Prince of Unicornia, he knew it was important for him to get married, and he did want to find a mare who was right for him, but he wanted to find her his own way. He wanted to be in love with the mare he married, and that she would love him just as much, but this ball was practically making that impossible. He could already feel that tonight he was going to be treated as nothing more than a prize to be won.

“It just doesn’t feel right,” he told his friend Sir Light Shield, who was a knight, with a blue coat and a green mane, “No matter how you look at it. Every mare in the kingdom will be throwing themselves at my hooves begging me to marry them, and every single one of them will be looking at my crown, not at me.”

“Do not feel bad, Jes,” soothed Light Shield, (only those closest to Majestic called him ‘Jes’, for short). “King Imperial Might is only trying to think of what’s best for you, and the kingdom.”

“I know, Shield,” replied Majestic. “I know, but I wish my father would be a bit more patient, and let me handle this my way. This way feels… more than a little embarrassing.”

Light Shield shrugged. “Fair point, but, who knows? Maybe the mare you really want to marry will come through the door tonight.”

Majestic stopped to look out a window. “Maybe,” he sighed, still somewhat unconvinced, “If she does come tonight.”

. . .

Cinder Star always worked hard, but she had never worked as hard as she had on this day. Between her regular chores, she had to run back and forth between Rose Petal and Cherry Blossom, tending to every little want or need they had. She brushed their manes, brushed their tails, pampered their hooves, mended and altered their dresses, fetched and held their perfumes, ribbons, slippers, and jewelry. All the while Rose Petal and Cherry Blossom intentionally made her tasks difficult, always calling Cinder Star back for some small desire.

By late afternoon, Rose Petal, and Cherry Blossom were ready for the ball. Rose Petal had chosen to wear a dress of light purple, while Cherry Blossom’s dress was bright yellow, and both of their ball gowns were adorned with jewels. Cinder Star then tended to Lady Fragrance’s needs as her stepsisters admired themselves before their mirror.

When Cinder Star was finally finished, she walked sadly out to the small field behind the house and the garden where her friends, the sheep, were kept. She sighed with dismay as she sat down, and rested her head over the fence bar. She had been so busy preparing her stepmother and stepsisters that she had not time to make herself anything to wear, and she had nothing ready to be worn at all. Knowing that she couldn’t go to the ball if she wasn’t presentable, she sighed once more in defeat.

As she sat there, the sheep, who were all ewes, noticed her and joined her at the fence, one by one. Although she was tired, Cinder Star smiled at her friends.

“Baa… Ahem! I mean… Hello dear, Cinder Star,” said the first ewe. “Why do you look so sad?”

“I wanted to go the King’s ball with my sisters,” replied Cinder Star, “But I have nothing to wear, and I haven’t time to make anything either, so I can not go.”

Her friends looked at her compassionately. “Aww… that’s too Baaad,” said the second ewe. “The Baaall is the place for somepony as kind as you.”

“Baaa,” said the third ewe, “Perhaps you do have something. Perhaps you can go! What about your mother’s wool coat?”

Cinder Star was confused. “My mother’s wool coat?” she asked.

“Yes,” said the ewe. “Years ago now, your father used some of our wool to make a wonderful coat for your mother.”

“Yes, yes,” said the first ewe. “I remember hearing your father say that he left it behind a panel in the attic. Perhaps you can wear that! Go and find it!”

Cinder Star raced back to her attic, and carefully tapped on all the wall’s panels, until she found one that was loose. She quickly opened it, and found that it was true. There was her mother’s wool coat. It was a bit dusty, but once she had dusted it off, she found that it was snowy white, and that it had not been damaged. She washed the soot off her face and coat, then tried it on, and found that it fit very nicely. It wasn’t much of a dress, but it was a rather nice coat.

She heard her stepmother calling, “Come along, my fillies! The carriage has arrived! It’s time to go!”

Hope filled Cinder Star’s heart as she raced down the stairs. “Coming!” she called. She caught up with her stepsisters outside the front door, and presented herself to Lady Fragrance, who was wearing a simple, but elegant black dress. “All of the chores are finished,” Cinder Star said happily, “Rose Petal and Cherry Blossom are ready, and I found this.” She touched her coat with her hoof. “Will this do, Stepmother?” she asked.

Cherry Blossom and Rose Petal stared at her in disbelief. Cinder Star was only wearing a wool coat, but it did look very well on her and with a clean, pretty face, she certainly was presentable. The sisters were horrified, and looked to their mother to do or say something to prevent Cinder Star from coming with them.

“Mother!” the sisters cried in protest.

Lady Fragrance simply held a hoof up to silence them as she looked up at the sky, and saw that no clouds were blocking the setting sun’s rays. She whispered something into her daughter’s ears. They smiled, and then hurried off as Lady Fragrance spoke to Cinder Star.

“Yes, my dear, you did do all that I asked,” Lady Fragrance said as she slowly circled Cinder Star. “And you are quite presentable. Where did you find such a lovely coat?”

“Oh, it was my mother’s,” replied Cinder Star.

“How charming,” said Lady Fragrance. “There’s just one little thing about it though.”

“What is that?” asked Cinder Star. She had failed to notice Rose Petal and Cherry Blossom approaching her from behind with a bucket of water. Without warning, they threw the water all over Cinder Star, soaking her from nose to tail. The sudden douse of cold water made her gasp in surprise.

Lady Fragrance smiled wickedly. “I’m afraid that coat is just several sizes too small for you.”

Cinder Star soon realized what she meant. With her wool coat now soaking wet, and she, herself, standing directly in the sunlight, her coat began to shrink! “Oh!” she cried, and quickly removed it before it became too tight on her. She watched it shrink until it was small enough to fit a new born foal. "Oh no!"

“Well,” said Lady Fragrance. “It seems as though you’re not ready after all, but it’s for the best. They never would have let an earth pony enter the ball in the first place,” she scoffed as Cinder Star picked up the little coat. “I’m sure you would be much happier by the cinders were you belong. Come along, my fillies.”

All Cinder Star could do was watch without a word as her stepmother and stepsisters boarded the carriage and set off for the castle without her. When she was all alone she burst into tears, and ran through the house to the garden. She fell down amongst the planted vegetables, crying her poor heart out. Her sheep friends stood by the fence, looking on with sympathy. Cinder Star cried until the sun had set and the moon had risen in the night sky. She couldn’t help it. She had never felt so miserable.

Not far away from where she lay, was the little breezie house she had made all those years ago. As Cinder Star cried, a light began to shine from within, becoming brighter with each passing moment, until she heard a voice say, “Issss that crying I heeeear? Why are you crying, my deeeear?”

Cinder Star looked up, then gasped when she looked behind her, and saw the light shining within the little house. “W-who are you?” she asked.

A very small, light blue, pony-like creature with fairy wings suddenly flew out of the little house, and hovered right before Cinder Star’s nose. Cinder Star’s eyes popped wide open with surprise. She sat up quickly, and recoiled, suddenly not sure if she should flee.

“Do not feeeear,” said the fairy pony. “I meeeean you no harm. I am Nellyyyy the Breeeezie, and I know you are Cinder Star the fillyyyy!”

A breezie! Cinder Star could hardly believe her eyes. A real, live breezie! She had never stopped believing they were real, but with all the chores she had had to do, she had all but forgotten to look in the little house. “How… how do you know my name?” she asked.

Nelly laughed. “I know all about you, my deeeear. You made this lovelyyyy home for us breeeezies. I have watched you work in the garden manyyyy timessss, but tell me now, why were you crying?”

Cinder Star looked down at her hooves. “Oh!” she cried, trying hard not to tear up again. “I want to go to the ball with my sisters, but I have nothing to wear, no way to get there, and now I can’t go at all!”

“You meeeean, your stepsissssters who don’t evvvven care to havvvve you around, and mistreat you evvvvery day?” asked Nelly.

“They’re… not so bad,” replied Cinder Star, trying not to remember that they had ruined her mother’s coat.

“If you sayyyy so,” said Nelly, unconvinced, “But, my deeeear, is going to the ball your most, fondest wish?”

“It is,” replied Cinder Star, “It really is.”

“Well then, if it’ssss to the ball you wish to go, then to the ball you shall go,” replied Nelly.

“What?” asked Cinder Star.

“I happen to know a bit of magic mysssself,” answered Nelly. “I will help you go to the ball. Firsssst, I shall neeeed a pumpkin. Pleeeese fetch meeee your largesssst one.”

Cinder Star did as Nelly asked. She picked the largest pumpkin from the garden, and, after scooping out the seeds with a large spoon, she placed it on the grass before Nelly. Nelly flapped her wings and rubbed her fore hooves together. A small spark of magic formed between Nelly’s hooves, and then she blew gently into it, causing a shower of sparks to fall on the pumpkin. The pumpkin began to grow, and it continued to grow until it had become a large, golden carriage fit for a princess.

“OH MY!” exclaimed Cinder Star.

“Now I shall reeeequire some mice,” said Nelly. “Do you havvvve anyyyy?”

Cinder Star did. She had caught six white mice in the kitchen, but was much too kind to harm them, so she had kept them in a small cage where she fed and cared for them. She quickly brought them to Nelly, and once her magic sparks fell gently on them, the six mice became five tall, proud stallions, and one beautiful mare, ready to pull the carriage.

“Now for some sheeeep,” continued Nelly. “If you pleeeese.”

Cinder Star’s sheep friends were delighted to help, and the three ewes quickly followed her to Nelly. When Nelly’s sparks touched them, they became three carriage ponies, one to drive, and two to assist, dressed in wool trimmed coats and hats.

“Exxxxceeeelent!” declared Nelly. She looked at Cinder Star. “Now for you, my deeeear. Pleeeese drape that little coat upon your back for meeee.”

Cinder Star did so, laying the little wool coat that had been her mother’s carefully on her back. Nelly carefully blew her magical sparks upon it, and the coat began to glow, and then it became a shower of sparkles, so bright that Cinder Star had to close her eyes. When she opened them again, she saw she was now wearing a beautiful, sky blue, silk dress that sparkled even when she stood still. Her mane had also been fixed in an attractive way to compliment her ball gown. She gasped in pure joy.

“I… I don’t know what to say!” said Cinder Star. “It’s so beautiful. Thank you! Thank you so much!”

“Not at all,” laughed Nelly. “It’ssss the leeeeast I can do for you. You havvvve helped so manyyyy breeeezies over the yeeeears without knowing it. You will beeee the star dancer of the ball for sure!”

“Oh, I’m not sure about that,” said Cinder Star. “You see, I can’t dance. I never learned how, nor have I had time to practice. I’ll just enjoy the ball from the side.”

Nelly was surprised. “Oh, but you musssst dance!” she quickly said. “It’ssss sssso much fun! Wait, just a moment. I havvvve a gift for you.” Nelly quickly flew back into the little house, and then returned with a tiny box. She opened the box and produced four little glass slippers, setting them on the ground before Cinder Star.

“Theeeese slippers are for you,” said Nelly. “They’re magic, you seeee. As long as you wear them, you shall dance perfectlyyyy.”

“Thank you,” said Cinder Star, “They’re so pretty, but… are they not a little small for me?” she asked.

Nelly laughed again. “Tryyyy them on, and seeee.”

Cinder Star gently put one of her fore hooves up against one of the tiny glass slippers, and was surprised to see the slipper grow in size until it fit her hoof perfectly. The other slippers did the same.

"They fit!" said Cinder Star happily.

“Tryyyy them out,” Nelly encouraged her.

Cinder Star took a few dance steps, and twirled. Her steps were perfect, and she twilled as if she’d always known how to dance.

“Whoever putssss on the slipperssss and dancessss in them is their new owner,” explained Nelly. “And that issss you, as I’vvvve gifted them to you, so they will fit your hooves alone.”

Cinder Star was about to climb into the carriage, when a thought struck her. “Wait…” she said. “Oh, dear. How… how will I get into the ball? I’m only an earth pony. They might not let me in if they see that.”

“I shall fixxxx that,” replied Nelly. She gently blew her magic sparks one more time at Cinder Star. “There,” she said. “Look, and seeee your reeeeflection.”

Cinder Star saw herself in the carriage window, and was surprised to see that she now had a horn on her head. She gently touched it, and then noticed that she had wings on her back as well. “I-I’m a winged unicorn!” she exclaimed.

“An alicorn, actually,” said Nelly, “Though your horn and wingssss are not real, they will let you in without quesssstion, and none shall recognizzzze you.”

Nelly smiled as she observed her work, and nodded with approval. “And now you are ready, and musssst leeeeave for the ball,” She said as she hurried Cinder Star into the carriage, “But you musssst remember two things. Firsssst, my magic only lassssts until Midnight. You musssst be home by them, because at the stroke of Twelvvvve all will return to what it was before, and Ssssecond, the magic of your slipperssss is quite strong. If you losssse focussss they mayyyy influence you to keeeep dancing for too long. The longer you wear them, the stronger theyyyy will become so beeee mindful.”

Cinder Star nodded. “I’ll remember. Thank you so much, Ms. Nelly! I don’t know how I can ever repay you for what you’ve done for me.”

“Aww, don’t mention it,” replied Nelly modestly. “This issss your reward for your kindness. You deservvvve it. Havvvve a good time. But remember one more thing, whatever happenssss, jusssst beeee yourself. Now off you go! Good byeeee, my deeeear!”

With that the carriage was off, with Cinder Star at last on her way to the ball as if she were a real princess.

. . .

At the ball, Prince Majestic had predicted everything perfectly. He was standing in the middle of the castle’s grand hall, dressed in his royal regalia and blue cape, and surrounded by every eligible mare in Unicornia. They were all fawning over him for his crown, desperate to dance with him to win it, and he was bored out of his mind. This was really embarrassing, and it was clearly going nowhere. He left the dance, and told this to his father, the King, a large, gray unicorn with a brown mane.

“Surely,” laughed King Imperial Might, “There MUST be some mare pretty enough for your affection.”

“They are ALL pretty,” replied Majestic. “That is not the problem. The problem is that they are all here for the crown, and only the crown.”

The King sighed. “I understand,” he said. “That was to be expected, but, as the royal family, we must do our duty. Just as long as you find a mare tonight, ANY mare, to marry that shall be enough. You have my word.”

“Please,” said his mother, Queen Aurora, sounding desperate. She was a lovely, white unicorn with a blue mane. “Return to the dance. Keep trying. For me?”

“Very well, Mother,” sighed Majestic, “But only for you.” He turned and headed back out into the dance. A line of mares had already formed ready to swamp him. “Oh help,” he said despairingly to himself. “If you are here, please, show yourself to me.”

. . .

The golden carriage arrived at the castle, and Cinder Star stepped out. She looked up at the castle with eyes full of wonder. She had never been this close to it before. At the same time, she couldn’t help but feel a bit nervous. Here she was, on her own, and about to enter the castle to attend a real ball. She could hear the music of a beautiful waltz drifting through the air. It made her feel small, but she bravely took one step after another up the stairs leading to the castle doors. Her glass slippers tinkled merrily on her hooves with each step she took.

Cinder Star had no trouble entering the castle. The guards made no move to stop her as she passed through the open doors. She walked on, following the music until she found herself standing in front of the grand hall. She paused for a moment, taking in everything she saw. The ball was even more wonderful than she could have imagined. The colors, the decorations, the music, the dancing, it was a dream come true for her. On the wall hung an ornamented clock and its hands showed the time to be half-past eight. She took a deep breath, smiled, and confidently entered the ball.

Prince Majestic wished he could escape from the ball. By now, he had danced with more mares than he could remember, and the last two had been wearing far too much rose and cherry perfume. How he wished that something would happen to stop this madness. Anything.

Then something did happen. The orchestra suddenly stopped playing their music, and every unicorn had stopped dancing. Majestic was quick to see why. All present were staring at the stunning unicorn, nay, an alicorn mare who had just entered the ball. When Majestic saw her, he found himself unable to take his eyes off her. She was the most beautiful creature he had ever seen. He slowly walked forward to meet her. The rest of the ball seemed to fade away as he approached the mare who had literally stopped the show.

Cinder Star felt her nervousness return when the music suddenly stopped, and all eyes fell upon her, but she forgot it when she saw the handsome Prince Majestic walking toward her. Recognizing that she was standing before the Prince and future King of Unicornia, she gave a low curtsy, lifted her right fore hoof, and half whispered, “Good evening, Your Highness.”

“Good evening,” answered Majestic. He gently took her glass slippered hoof on his own hoof, and kissed it. He smiled at her, and then did something he had never done before. He stammered. “M-may I have this dance?” he asked.

Cinder Star, smiled modestly, “Oh, I must confess, I am not a very good dancer.”

“I hardly danced myself, before tonight,” replied Majestic. “Would you like to try with me?”

“Of course,” said Cinder Star. She let him guide her gently with his forelegs, as they began to slowly waltz toward the middle of the hall. The musicians, seeing that the Prince was dancing, quickly began to play their music again. Other stallions and mares partnered up to dance again as well, but most eyes remained on the mysterious mare who, they said amongst themselves, simply had to be a princess.

As the music picked up, Cinder Star and Majestic began to dance faster. Majestic proved to be quite steady, and Cinder Star was very graceful. She practically glided across the floor. “You’re wonderful!” Majestic complimented her.

Cinder Star blushed, “You’re not so bad yourself,” she answered, allowing herself to tease the prince just a little. She took a brief look around the hall. “I… I think everyone is staring at us.”

“I think they are all staring at you,” Majestic chuckled. “It’s hard not to be captured by your loveliness.”

“Oh, you’re too kind, Your Highness,” replied Cinder Star. “You flatter me.”

“Please, call me Jes,” answered Majestic. “I like it much better than my full name.”

Cinder Star giggled, “It suits you.”

“May I, possibly, have the honor of knowing with whom I am dancing with?” Majestic asked politely.

“Um…” Cinder Star’s smile faded for a moment. She wasn’t sure how she should answer. She couldn’t lie, but telling the prince her name might ruin the evening.

Majestic suddenly feared he had said the wrong thing. “Oh…, forgive me if I’ve offended you.”

“No, no,” answered Cinder Star. “You haven’t at all.” She smiled again. “You have been a perfect gentle-stallion. I just…” She, paused, then laughed, “I suppose I’ve not been quite sure how to answer that for a while now.”

“Mysterious, and beautiful I see,” replied Majestic, causing her to blush again.

The waltz ended, and everyone applauded the musicians with a light whinny. “If it’s all right,” said Cinder Star, “I think I should like to find something to drink.”

“Oh, please,” said Majestic, “Allow me, my Lady.” He couldn’t bear to leave her side, and escorted her to the refreshment table. There he picked up two ornamented cups of punch with his magic from his horn, and gave one to Cinder Star. “For you,” he said. He was just a bit surprised when, instead of taking the punch in her own horn’s magic, she instead reached up her hoof, and carefully balanced her cup as she sipped.

“Thank you,” replied Cinder Star gratefully. The sweetness of her voice caused him to quickly forget his thoughts. The squeezed oranges and other fruits were more delicious than anything Cinder Star had tasted in a long time.

When they had finished, Majestic asked her, “If it is not too bold of a request, my Lady, would you care to accompany me for a walk in the gardens?”

“Oh, I would love to,” answered Cinder Star. “Surely the most wonderful flowers in the kingdom are guarded by your tenders.”

“My father’s, actually,” said Majestic, with a smile as he led her around the hall, and toward an arch that would lead to the castle gardens.

. . .

At the front of the hall, King Imperial Might smiled broadly from ear to ear. His plan to find his son a mare in one night had worked. “It seems as though, our son is indeed quite smitten with that young filly,” he said to his Queen.

“Indeed,” replied Queen Aurora. “She is very lovely. I wonder who she is.”

“What else?” asked Imperial. “She’s an alicorn princess, and a perfect match for our son. I can see grand foals now!”

“Now, now, Dear,” said Aurora, “One thing at a time. Let them figure out where to go from here.”

“Of course,” replied Imperial, still smiling. “Of course.”

. . .

As Cinder Star and Majestic were about to walk through the arch, Cinder Star saw three mares that she knew rather well. At first she was worried about them seeing her, but then she remembered that no one could recognize her with a horn and wings, so, while Majestic briefly made arrangements with a knight so they were not to be disturbed, Cinder Star walked on a little further to make conversation with her step-family.


Some mares had been disappointed that the Prince had clearly found a dance partner, but they generally accepted it as there were plenty of other stallions present. Rose Petal and Cherry Blossom, however, were all but distraught. Lady Fragrance had told them to seek no one but the Prince, and now that chance was lost, as the prince simply would not leave the alicorn mare’s side.

“Who does she think she is?” groused Cherry Blossom.

“Where did she even come from?” pouted Rose Petal.

“If I’d only had a couple more seconds, the Prince would be mine by now,” stated Cherry Blossom.

“You!?” Rose Petal exclaimed. “He was only being polite dancing with you. He danced with ME first. He would be mine right now.”

Lady Fragrance rolled her eyes, but regardless of her daughter’s bickering, it was quite obvious that her plan had failed. She was just thinking of what to do next, when she saw the alicorn princess herself walking towards them. “Fillies!” she quickly said. “Hush! Look sharp.”

Although they had just been insulting her, Rose Petal and Cherry Blossom could only stare in awe of the beautiful alicorn princess who apparently wanted to speak with them.

“Good evening,” said Cinder Star. “Lady Fragrance, I believe? Yes, I’m quite sure. I have heard much of your perfumes, and that they have made you quite successful,” she complimented. “Oh, and I see that you’ve brought your two daughters as well. My, how they’ve grown, and each of them a perfect image of grace and beauty.”

Rose Petal and Cherry Blossom were speechless. They didn’t know how to answer that. “Why, thank you…, Your Highness,” replied Lady Fragrance, giving the alicorn princess a quick bow, “How kind of you to notice my precious treasures.”

“Not at all,” answered Cinder Star. “I’m certain they shall make you very proud indeed.”

At that moment, Majestic walked up, and joined Cinder Star. “There you are. I was worried for a moment that I had lost you.”

“No, you didn’t,” smiled Cinder Star. “I was just talking with these three lovely ladies.”

“Ah, very well then,” said Majestic. “Shall we go?”

“We shall,” replied Cinder Star. “Good night, ladies.”

“Oh, yes, good night,” answered Lady Fragrance as they walked away. She turned to her two daughters, and grinned. “You two may be coming up in the world after all, if you’re receiving compliments from a princess. This could mean great things for you.” Rose Petal and Cherry Blossom could hardly let out a squeak in reply.

. . .

Cinder Star and Majestic walked side by side through the arch, and out into the castle gardens. As they entered, they passed the knight, and Majestic said to him, “Please keep a good watch, Sir Light Shield.”

“Yes, Your Highness,” replied Light Shield. “Absolutely,” he added with a nod and a smile.

As they walked on, treading lightly on a path of soft grass, Cinder Star couldn’t help but smile happily at seeing all the flowers, and hedges in their neat rows. There were a few trees as well, and, every so often, a bird’s tweet could be heard beneath the moon’s light. They walked around the garden at least twice, chatting pleasantly as they went. The two found they had a lot in common. They both enjoyed looking up at the stars at night, preferred to keep things tidy, and shared a fondness for animals.

“If I may ask,” began Majestic again, “I may have over heard one of those three ladies call you “Your Highness,” so, I was but wondering, are you a princess, my Lady?”

Cinder Star laughed. “That was kind of her,” she replied, “But if I am a princess, I am only the Princess of Cinders, or perhaps, of Sheep. But, what of you?” she asked him, “It must be magical to live in a castle, and both do and go wherever you please.”

Majestic chuckled at that. “The truth be told,” he answered. “I have a schedule of things to do every day. Being a royal prince is well and all at times, but it is also a real job that requires much of my attention.”

“Your daily routine sounds a lot like mine,” observed Cinder Star. “Every day I have a list of tasks that I must attend to, and some days there seems to be more to do than ever.”

“It sounds like a hard life,” replied Majestic sympathetically.

“It is at times,” Cinder Star sighed, “But I make do. On the bright side, I suppose I never do get bored. I would rather do something helpful, than sit around and do nothing, but… I do often get lonely.”

“Does not your family help you?” asked Majestic.

“They… well, no,” replied Cinder Star, “Because they are often busy with other things.”

“I… see,” said Majestic, as he took this in. “I sometimes wish I could see my family more often.”

“But, your father and mother are the King and Queen,” said Cinder Star, a bit surprised.

“They are,” answered Majestic, “But they have their schedules to keep as well. I still wish I could see them more. Sometimes I have a few good friends to keep me company, but… I’ve found it to be rather lonely where I stand as well. What I wish for is a partner in life, some one to love.”

Cinder Star stopped, and put her hoof gently on his shoulder. “I think I understand, Jes,” she replied with a sweet smile. “Someone to love, who loves you just as much.”

Majestic looked at her and smiled back. “Indeed,” he said with a nod. “Indeed, my Lady.”

After some time, Majestic offered her a seat upon a stone bench close by the fountain, the garden’s centerpiece. Cinder Star accepted and he sat down beside her, on her left side.

“It truly is the most beautiful garden I’ve ever seen,” complimented Cinder Star. “I have never seen any other quite like it.”

“I’m glad that you approve,” replied Majestic. Looking around, he noticed a rose bush, next to him, and carefully picked one of its roses in his teeth, then presented it in his hooves to the mare. “My Lady,” he asked, “Will you permit me?”

“You may,” Cinder Star answered, touched by his gesture.

Majestic carefully slid the rose into her mane, above her left ear. As he did, he moved a lock of her mane, and saw her star birth mark. “There,” he said. “It’s where it belongs.”

“Thank you,” replied Cinder Star. She sighed, and then said, “Oh, how I wish this night would never end.”

“It… doesn’t have to,” replied Majestic.

“W-what do you mean?” asked Cinder Star.

“Do, you think…” Majestic began nervously. He paused to collect his thoughts, and then he looked deep into Cinder Star’s pretty, sky blue eyes. “Do you think that it’s possible for two to meet and just… just know right then they love each other, and are a perfect match?”

“Yes,” replied Cinder Star. “I do believe it is, if the right two found each other.” She moved a little closer to him.

“And love forever?” asked Majestic. He moved a little closer as well.

“Love for always,” answered Cinder Star.

There was no denying the fact. Cinder Star had fallen in love with Majestic, and he with her. They could feel it between them. They were perfect together.

“I believe so too,” said Majestic. He closed the space between them with a gentle kiss on her lips. Cinder Star accepted it lovingly, and returned it.

After a few blissful moments, Cinder Star, whispered. “We… we should probably return to the dance. I’m afraid we’ve been missed by now.” She could also feel a slight sensation in her hooves to dance, though she was too caught up in this moment to pay it any mind.

“You’re right, of course,” replied Majestic. They rose from the bench, and slowly began to walk back to the dance. Cinder Star allowed herself to lean her head slightly on his shoulder, and was delighted when Majestic nuzzled her cheek. They soon reentered the hall, and joined the guests again for another waltz. The clock hands now read half past eleven.

Cinder Star couldn’t have been happier than she was at this moment. She had been living the most wonderful dream she’d ever had, and it was more breathtaking than she could have imagined. She had never dared hope that she would fall in love, but she had, and he, the Prince, was holding her, and dancing with her. They finished one waltz, and went right into another. Cinder Star felt as if she could dance all night. The music, the feeling, the Prince, it was all so wonderful, and her glass slippers were so comfortable.

Then it happened. The clock suddenly stuck twelve! Midnight! Cinder Star snapped from her trance at once, and remembered what Nelly had told her about the magic ending at Midnight. She gasped. She had stayed too long!

“Oh! Oh dear!” exclaimed Cinder Star. “I’m so sorry,” she said to Majestic. “I have to go!”

Majestic was stunned as the alicorn princess suddenly pulled away from him, and dashed out of the hall. “W-wait! Wait, my Lady!” he called after her. “I don’t even know your name, or how to find you! Please wait!”

Poor Cinder Star couldn’t wait. She hurried away through the guests as though her life depended on it. She’d forgotten Nelly’s warning that the longer she wore her slippers, the stronger they would become, and could make her lose focus if she wasn’t careful. She could still feel that she wanted to dance, but leaving now was more important. She hurried as fast as her legs would carry her out of the main hall, down the hallway, and out the front door. If only her wings had been real, she would surely have flown.

Cinder Star hurried down the castle’s steps as fast as she dared, being careful not to trip. In her haste, one of her glass slippers from her hind hooves fell off, but she had no time to stop and pick it up. “Oh no!” she said. "My slipper!". She mourned the loss of such a beautiful thing, but kept running. Magic sparks began to fly from her dress, but she didn’t stop until she leaped into the golden coach waiting for her and it sped away.

However, even as fast as the stallions and mare could run, the golden carriage only made it nearly a quarter of the way home, when the clock chimed for the twelfth time. At that moment, just as Nelly had said, everything became again what it had been before. In a shower of sparks, the golden coach returned to being a pumpkin, the stallions and mare became mice, and the carriage ponies became her sheep friends again. Cinder Star’s ball gown became once again her mother’s shrunken wool coat, and her horn and wings disappeared with a pop.

The carriage ride had stopped so suddenly that Cinder Star and her sheep friends rolled on the ground several times before they stopped themselves. When Cinder Star picked herself up, she was surprised to see that she was still wearing the other three glass slippers on her hooves. Then she remembered that instead of using magic, they had been a gift to her from Nelly, so they remained. She also noticed that her hooves no longer had that urging need to dance, that will power obviously being broken when she lost one slipper while fleeing.

Cinder Star sighed with relief, then quickly helped her sheep friends get back on their hooves again. “Good bye!” she called to the mice, which, now free, scurried away. “Thank you!” She then turned to the ewes. “Thank you so much for helping me. I couldn’t have made it to the ball without any of you. I’m so sorry I forgot about the time.” She dropped her head in shame.

“Baaa,” said the third ewe. “It’s all right, sweetheart.”

“We were glad to help,” said the first ewe, and she licked Cinder Star’s cheek.

“And what matters is that you had a good time,” said the second ewe.

“Yes,” replied Cinder Star, smiling. “I did. Thank you again,” she said and gave each ewe a warm hug. “Let’s go home.”

“So… was it all good, or was there anything baaad?” asked the first ewe.

“Did you meet anyone nice?” asked the second ewe.

“I’ll tell you all about it on the way,” promised Cinder Star, and she did. By the time they returned home, she had told her friends all about the grand hall, the music, the garden, and, most of all, Prince Majestic, and how kind he had been to her.

“Do you think you will ever see him again?” asked the third ewe.

“Perhaps,” replied Cinder Star, though she doubted it. He was, after all, the Prince of Unicornia, and she was only a servant earth pony. The chances of meeting him again seemed very unlikely.

Cinder Star led the sheep to their pasture, where she wished them “Good night,” then she stopped by the little breezie house, to thank Nelly again, but she found the little house empty. She then returned to the house, put away her mother’s coat, and seated herself in her usual place among the cinders. Near the base of the fireplace, there were three loose bricks that Cinder Star knew of. She pulled the bricks out, revealing a hollow space behind the bricks. She then removed her glass slippers and placed them carefully inside the hole. They would always remind her of her magical night at the castle. She carefully returned the bricks back to their spaces, and rubbed some soot on their edges so they wouldn’t seem any different from the other bricks.

At that moment, she heard a carriage pull up outside, signaling her stepmother, and stepsister’s return. They had certainly taken their time in getting home. Cinder Star quickly threw some soot on her face and coat, and then dashed up the stairs so she could greet them as if she were coming down from the attic.

Lady Fragrance, and her daughters entered through the front door moments later. Rose Petal and Cherry Blossom were still carrying on about the ball.

“I tell you,” said Cherry Blossom, “I’m sure I caught the Prince’s attention with my dancing.

“Dancing!? Humph!” retorted Rose Petal. “I’m convinced I captured him with only my charms.”

“Whatever you say,” shrugged Cherry Blossom, unimpressed with her sister. “It doesn’t compare to how nice that princess was to us.”

“For once we agree on something,” said Rose Petal. “Who would have thought that an alicorn princess would single us out from everyone else to talk with?”

“And we just stood there, and gawked in front of her,” replied Cherry Blossom, slapping her forehead with her hoof. “And she had pretty shoes too.”

“Was she pretty herself?” asked Cinder Star, as she descended the stairs. She rubbed her eyes with her foreleg, as if she had been asleep.

“You get back upstairs where you belong!” yelled Lady Fragrance. “No one asked you to ask questions. Go back to bed and be quiet!”

Cinder Star meekly turned around, and headed up to the attic, but she couldn’t help but crack a small, dreamy smile to herself when she heard Rose Petal mutter, “She was very pretty, you know.”

“I just can’t imagine why in Unicornia she would just leave so suddenly at Midnight,” added Cherry Blossom.

“Perhaps she had an appointment?” suggested Rose Petal.

“Or, perhaps,” put in Lady Fragrance, “She and the Prince are not together after all, meaning that one of you might still have a chance yet. We’ll just have to wait and see.”

. . .

Meanwhile, back at the castle, Prince Majestic was confused, and distraught. He couldn’t stop thinking of the beautiful mare who had appeared out of nowhere, and then had left so quickly. When Cinder Star had fled at Midnight, Majestic tried to hurry after her, but, unlike Cinder Star, he had not enjoyed the same easy access to escape from the ball. He rushed forward after her, but was accidentally bumped by another dancing mare. He stumbled, and was then accidentally tripped by a dancing stallion’s hind leg.

After a swarm of apologies, Majestic finally got on his hooves again, but by the time he made it outside, the beautiful mare was gone. All he found was the glass slipper she had left behind on the stairs. Her slipper. That was all that remained of the mare who had stolen his heart. The ball continued for nearly another two hours, but Majestic’s thoughts were with his Lady, and he soon after excused himself for the night.

The next day, Majestic met with his father and mother. They were discussing the previous night’s ball, though Majestic sat quietly in a chair, cradling the glass slipper in his hooves. He was trying to piece together the events that had happened himself.

“Well, my Son,” said King Imperial Might at last, “Even though she unexpectedly ran from the ball and disappeared, I think it’s safe to say that you found the mare you wish to marry last night.”

“Yes,” replied Majestic.

“Then it’s obvious what we should do,” said Imperial. “We must send out a proclamation to every corner of the kingdom, and royally request that the alicorn princess present herself to marry Prince Majestic.

“If she be willing,” added Queen Aurora.

“Of course, Dear,” replied Imperial. “But I’m sure that she will come as quickly as she left once she knows that we have a wedding in mind.”

The proclamation was quickly spread out all over the kingdom. It respectfully requested that the alicorn princess who had been present at the royal ball, wearing glass slippers, to please reveal herself, and return to the castle to wed Prince Majestic. Unsurprisingly, after two weeks, no one came forward. During that time, Majestic hardly ate or slept, and he kept the glass slipper close to him at all times.

. . .

It wasn’t long before Cinder Star heard of the proclamation, and she was pleasantly surprised to know that Prince Majestic wanted to marry her. She longed for him as well. She would think of him every day while she worked, and then dream of him all night as she slept, however, she was also afraid. The proclamation made it clear that the prince was looking for an alicorn princess, and Cinder Star was neither. Even if she did come forward, she didn’t think the prince and the royal family would be pleased at all to find out that she was only an earth pony, and she was terrified of what they might do to her. Fearing that, she felt it would be better if she remained silent, and proceed with her regular chores. So she did.

. . .

After a third week of waiting, King Imperial was beginning to get a bit impatient. He met again with Queen Aurora and Majestic to discuss his opinion on the matter. “It appears to me,” he said, “That, perhaps we did move a little too fast, but if this mysterious princess will not make herself known, then, I’m afraid that it is only natural for us to move on as well. Perhaps another ball…”

Majestic looked up at once. “No, Father,” he answered. “We will not give up. I will not give up. Even though we only met that one night, I feel that the love I have for her is real, and I have to know if she feels the same way. If she feels that OUR love could be real, or, if not, I just have to see her again.”

“But, my Son,” replied Queen Aurora, “We really do not know anything about her, or, for that matter, if she is real. We know you love her, but… we must consider the possibility that the mare you love is no more than a dream.”

Majestic looked down at the glass slipper in his hooves. In a way, she was a dream, but she certainly was real. He KNEW she was real. He slowly looked up again. “No, Mother,” he said defiantly. “She is real, and I will find her. I’ve got to. I also do know some things about her that may help.”

“Pray tell,” asked Imperial.

Majestic shook his head. “I can not explain in a way that you would understand, but, please, I wish to go and search for the mare I love myself.”

“How would you go about it?” asked Aurora.

Majestic stood, and held up the glass slipper in his horn’s magic. “With this,” he said. “I am convinced that something is keeping her from coming to me, she may even be trouble, so I shall go to her. My plan is to try this slipper on every mare in the kingdom until I find the one it fits. It may take days, or even weeks, but sooner or later I am certain that this slipper will lead me to her.” He could feel the magic within the slipper. Without a doubt it would fit the mare he loved and only her. For that matter, since it was magic, it would fit any of her hooves.

Imperial looked unsure, but Aurora nodded her head. “His plan does make sense to me,” she agreed.

“Please, Father,” implored Majestic. “I found a mare that I love at YOUR ball. Now let me go and find her again MY way.”

Imperial thought for a moment, then nodded. “Very well, my son,” he answered. “Find that filly, whoever she is, however long it takes, but take several guards with you in case there is any real danger.”

Majestic smiled and said, “Yes, Father. Thank you. I will find her. I shall leave at once.” He hugged his father, kissed his mother, and hurried away.

When Majestic was gone, Aurora looked to her husband and said, “He’s definitely our son. He reminds me so much of you…, Peri,” she teased.

Imperial blushed at hearing his old, preferred name. “Yes, my dear,” he said as he put his hoof carefully on hers. “And he has his mother’s good sense in him too.”

. . .

It wasn’t long before Majestic was ready to go. He quickly ordered for three guards to prepare themselves with the necessary provisions to accompany him and Sir Light Shield who would aid him on his quest. He really hadn’t had to ask his friend to come with him. As soon as Light Shield heard what was happening, he volunteered at once.

“You know that I would gladly go across the borders with you and beyond,” said Light Shield. “We’re friends, and friends help each other, Jes. I saw the way you looked at that alicorn princess. You’re head over hooves for her. Of course, I want to be there when you find her again.”

At that moment, a thought came to Majestic. “Follow me,” he said, and quickly led Light Shield into his private study, where they could not be overheard. “Because we’re friends, Shield, I’m going to tell you something important, but you must not speak a word of it to anyone else.”

“As you wish, Jes,” replied Light Shield, “What is it?”

“I have reason to believe that we are not looking for an alicorn at all,” said Majestic.

“What?” asked Light Shield, who was now confused. “Why do you say that? Are you in need of a doctor? You did see her, right?”

“Yes, and I was with her nearly all that night as well,” replied Majestic. “I’ve put a lot of thought into this. She may have appeared to have a horn and wings, but I do not think they were real. You see, at the ball, when I offered her a drink, she didn’t use her horn to take hold of it. Instead, she held it on her hoof. Why wouldn’t she have simply used her magic? Then later, when she fled, why didn’t she use her wings? That would make sense if she were fleeing, would it not?”

“Huh,” answered Light Shield thoughtfully. “That does make sense, when you put it that way.”

“Exactly,” replied Majestic. “That’s why I think we are either looking for a flightless alicorn with no magic, which seems rather unlikely, OR, more likely, an earth pony.”

Light Shield was surprised. “An earth pony?” he asked. “Here? Are you sure?”

“I could still be wrong,” said Majestic, “That’s why we’re going to try the slipper on every mare. I just want you to keep this in mind, and between us. All right, Shield?”

“Yes, Jes,” agreed Light Shield with a nod, “But, Jes…,” he quizzed, “What if she IS an earth pony? You do realize what a stir that would cause?”

“I DON’T CARE if she is an earth pony, or even a pegasus,” replied Majestic forcefully, “I LOVE HER!” he declared. He then took a deep breath and calmed himself down. “I’m sorry, Shield,” he said, “I do not mean to shout. It’s only that I will stop at nothing to find her again. Will you still help me?”

“Absolutely!” answered Light Shield cheerfully. “Any mare who can make you that resolute is worth finding, whoever she may be.”

“Thank you,” said Majestic. “Very good, that’s settled then. Let’s hurry. We haven’t a moment to lose.”

And so, the search began. Majestic and Light Shield first tried the glass slipper on every mare that lived in the castle. Then, with their guards, they proceeded to go from door to door in the town, and try the glass slipper on the left fore hoof of every eligible mare in the kingdom. They had found that it was quicker to try the slipper on every mare’s fore hoof rather than her hind hoof. It was tiring work, but Majestic refused to give up. News of the Prince and the glass slipper soon spread all over the kingdom, and mares and fillies would line up when the Prince came down their street for their chance to try on the slipper. The slipper, however, refused to fit any hoof, except that of its mistress.

Never-the-less, Majestic pressed on. After several days, they left the town, and continued down the country roads. Finally they came upon the house of Lady Fragrance, where Cinder Star lived.

Lady Fragrance looked out the window and saw Prince Majestic coming. She turned to her daughters and grinned. “All right, my fillies,” she commanded. “This is it. All you have to do is put your hoof in the slipper. Squeeze your hoof in if you have to! Remember, put the shoe on, and become rich. That’s all that matters. Don’t fail me!” She then noticed Cinder Star scrubbing the kitchen floor. “Cinder Star!” she called.”

“Yes…, Stepmother?” Cinder Star answered nervously.

“Go outside and tend the sheep,” Lady Fragrance ordered. “NOW! I don’t want you in the house ruining everything with the Prince here."

“Yes, Stepmother,” said Cinder Star. She felt a sense of relief as she walked out the back door. If the prince didn’t see her, then she wouldn’t be found out. On the other hoof, she was becoming more and more anxious, as she desired to, at least, see the prince one more time. She picked up some hay, and walked out to the sheep pin.

In front of the house, Light Shield knocked on the door, and Lady Fragrance opened it. “Your Highness,” she said, bowing courteously. "Welcome to our…, humble abode. Do come in.” The guards waited outside while Majestic and Light Shield entered. Light Shield then used his magic to remove the glass slipper from his saddle bag.

“May I introduce my two, most eligible daughters,” continued Lady Fragrance. “I’m sure you remember them from the ball, Rose Petal, the eldest, and Cherry Blossom, the younger.” Rose Petal and Cheery Blossom, smiled eagerly, and curtsied low.

Majestic did remember. He rolled his eyes, but simply said, “Shall we proceed?”

“Yes, indeed,” said Lady Fragrance, “My eldest first.” She directed them all toward a sofa which had been pulled out from against the wall in advance for this occasion. Rose Petal sat down upon the sofa, while Cherry Blossom stood behind it, anxiously watching, and waiting for her turn.

Rose Petal extended her left fore leg daintily as Light Shield sat down in front of her, and tried to fit the glass slipper on her hoof with Majestic watching carefully. The slipper was too small for Rose Petal. She pushed harder, trying to squeeze her hoof in, but to no avail. It wouldn’t fit.

“Oh! Come on...!” grunted Rose Petal. “It must have shrunk!”

Light Shield shook his head. “I’m sorry, Miss,” he said. “It doesn’t fit. Please move for the next young mare.”

Disappointed, Rose Petal moved away, and Cherry Blossom took her place. She held her fore hoof out, and again Light Shield tried to fit it. Cherry Blossom’s hoof slid into the slipper, but there was a space between the back of her hoof and the back of the slipper. Her hoof was too small.

“Well…, it does, soft-of, fit. See?” asked Cherry Blossom, smiling with embarrassment. “Close enough? Doesn’t that count?”

“No, it does not count,” said Majestic simply. “The slipper either fits perfectly, or it doesn’t. If your hoof is too small, then it doesn’t fit, and we’ve seen that several times already.”

“He is correct,” agreed Light Shield. “I’m sorry, Miss. It doesn’t fit you either.” He removed the slipper from a dejected Cherry Blossom, and stood by Majestic.

“Do you have any other fillies or mares in your household?” asked Light Shield.

“No,” Lady Fragrance lied. “I only have my two daughters.

. . .

Outside, Cinder Star stood inside the sheep pin giving her sheep friends hay from her own hoof. She stared sadly down at the ground feeling depressed.

After a short while, the first ewe looked up at her and asked, “Why do you look so down, my dear?”

Cinder Star sighed, “Because the Prince is here, now, and when he leaves I’ll never see him again.”

“That is too baaad to bear,” said the second ewe.

“We must do something,” said the third ewe, and before Cinder Star could stop them they all began to bleat loudly.

Cinder Star jumped. “Please be quiet,” she pleaded. “They might hear you!” But the sheep only continued to bleat even louder.

. . .

Inside the house, Majestic and Light Shield were just about to leave. “If there are no more eligible mares here, then I believe we are finished, and we must go,” Light Shield summarized.

It was just then that they all began to hear the sound of bleating sheep, and they seemed to be getting louder, as if something was wrong.

“What is that?” asked Light Shield.

“Oh, that’s just the sheep in the back field,” replied Lady Fragrance, “Nothing to see I’m sure.”

However, Majestic was curious. He walked over to the window and looked out. His eyes went wide when he saw a young mare standing in the midst of the bleating sheep. “Who is that?” he demanded. He looked back at Lady Fragrance. “I thought you said there were no other young mares living with you,” he said sternly.

“Oh, her?” replied Lady Fragrance. “She’s nobody important. She’s just our maid servant. No need to bother with her. She’s a dirty earth pony.”

Majestic and Light Shield looked at each other. They both had the same thought. “Send for her at once!” ordered Majestic.

“But, Your Highness…” protested Lady Fragrance.

Now,” answered Majestic sternly, with a stomp of his hoof. “I want to see her.”

Seeing that she couldn’t argue with the prince, Lady Fragrance opened the back door and called out, “Cinder Star! Come here at once!”

Cinder Star gulped. She had been seen. Any moment now she would surely be found out, and then her Stepmother would surely beat her! Nervously, with trembling hooves, she returned to the house, and soon found herself standing in the middle of the room before Prince Majestic, who was holding her missing glass slipper. Her eyes were fearful as she gave him a shaky curtsy. “Y-Your H-Highness,” she stammered quietly.

“Cinder Star,” Majestic thought to himself. “So that is her name.” He looked at her carefully. He saw that her coat and face were covered in soot, and remembered that his love had told him that if she were a princess, she was only the Princess of Cinders. She had also mentioned sheep, and she had been among the sheep when he had seen her.

Majestic smiled at her and said, “Come closer. There is no reason to fear me.” Cinder Star walked timidly closer to him, but kept her head down. “Please,” he said kindly, “Look up at me.”

Cinder Star slowly lifted her head, and looked into his brown eyes. He looked into her eyes and silently gasped. He KNEW those eyes. He knew that the mare standing in front of him was his princess. He had found her!

“What’s going on?” asked Rose Petal impatiently.

“I haven’t the slightest idea,” answered Cherry Blossom.

“Shall she try on the slipper?” asked Light Shield.

“She doesn’t need to,” said Majestic. “But just to be fair…,” he showed Cinder Star the glass slipper. “May I?” he asked politely.

Cinder Star nodded. She slowly raised her trembling left fore hoof, but when Majestic caught it gently on his own, hers became still. Majestic easily slid the glass slipper on her hoof with his magic. It fit perfectly, and the slipper even sparkled as if it were pleased to be reunited with its mistress. Rose Petal fainted.

“I believe this is yours,” said Majestic as he gave Cinder Star a short bow, “My Lady.”

For a brief moment, Cinder Star smiled, but then it faded as her fear quickly returned. Cherry Blossom then fainted as well, and Cinder Star at last found her voice. “But…! But… how can it be mine?” she said as she began to panic, fearing that she was now in great trouble. “I… I’m not a princess, or… or anything! There must be some mistake!”

“No!” exclaimed Lady Fragrance, who had been just as surprised as her daughters. Her mouth fell open in shock. “It must be just a coincidence!” she said hastily. “She can’t be the one! How could she? Just look at her! She’s not even a unicorn! She’s just a filthy earth pony! She didn’t even go to the ball, and that’s a fact!”

“As a matter of fact,” Majestic sternly answered her, “The mare I danced with had a birth mark, in the shape of a star, beneath her left ear, upon which, I placed a rose. Does she?”

Cinder Star’s eyes popped wide open as she immediately swung her left fore hoof up to cover her left ear. She gasped. “I… I…” She didn’t know what to say. She backed away until she found herself with her back against the wall, right next to the fireplace.

Just then, as if by magic, the three loose bricks in the fireplace fell from their places. They clattered on the floor, revealing what was hidden behind them, much to Cinder Star’s surprise. Light Shield quickly went to inspect. “Your Highness,” he reported, “Here are, one, two, three, the other three glass slippers, and they match the one on Miss Cinder Star’s hoof!”

Cinder Star, now completely dismayed, looked up at Majestic, and then she sank down to the floor in shame as fear gripped her heart. “Oh!” she cried, “Now you know! I confess! It was me! I-I can explain. Please don’t hurt me!” She closed her eyes tight, and covered her head with her fore hooves as best as she could, expecting the worst.

When Cinder Star dared to look, she looked up, and saw Prince Majestic standing over her with a concerned, compassionate look on his face. He didn’t look angry at all as he sat down before her. He looked at the knight and said, “Light Shield, we wish to be alone.”

“As you wish, Your Highness,” replied Light Shield. He walked over to Lady Fragrance and her two daughters, who were just getting back on their hooves, and in a no-nonsense voice said, “You heard. Out! Move along! Move along!” He ‘shooed’ them into the next room, and closed the door behind him.

Majestic looked back at Cinder Star and said gently, “My dear, I could never hurt you. It’s you who I have been searching not only the kingdom, but my whole life for. I love you, Cinder Star.”

Cinder Star slowly sat up, and looked up at him with wondering eyes. “But…but why?” She asked. “Why are you not angry with me?”

“How can I be angry with the mare who stole my heart, and understands me as well as I understand myself?” answered Majestic. “I know it was you who I fell in love with at the ball. Am I not right?”

Cinder Star nodded. “You are right,” she answered. “And I fell in love with you, but… I’m not a princess, or an alicorn. I’m just an earth pony. The dress I was wearing wasn’t even mine, and my slippers were but a generous gift from a friend.”

Majestic smiled. “My dear, Cinder Star,” he said, “I didn’t fall in love with a dress, or even a horn. I fell in love with the most wonderful mare, who I don’t want to only spend an evening with, but my whole life with as well. You. And you are a princess to me, with your kindness, gentle care, and compassion that you’ve shown,” he said as she gently touched her nose with his own.

Cinder Star blushed sweetly. “I… I also want to spend the rest of my life with you,” she replied, “But… I have nothing to offer you but my own heart.”

“That will be more than enough,” said Majestic. He stood up and offered her his fore hoof. She accepted it gladly, and he helped her to her hooves again. “If you will accept my heart in return,” he finished.

Cinder Star smiled. She moved closer and rubbed her neck against his as she replied, “I will gladly, Jes.” He returned the loving gesture, rubbing against her neck. Then, as they were so close, he gently brushed back the lock of her mane on her left with his hoof, and saw the star beneath her left ear again.

“Shall I call you Cinder Star?” asked Majestic, “Or, what name would you prefer?”

“Well…,” said Cinder Star thoughtfully. “My real name is Star, but I’ve become so used to being called Cinder Star, so, I won’t mind which ever one you choose.”

Majestic dropped down on one fore knee. He took Cinder Star’s glass slippered fore hoof on his own, then looked up at her, and asked, “Star, will you marry me, and be my Princess?”

Cinder Star beamed as she answered, “Oh, Jes! Yes, my Prince, I will!”

“And love forever?” asked Majestic standing up again, smiling as well.

“Forever and always!” replied Cinder Star and they joined together in a lover’s kiss.

After a moment, Majestic called for Light Shield to return, and he did, with Cinder Star’s step-family behind him. “Is everything all right, Jes?” asked Light Shield.

“Everything is just fine,” replied Majestic. “We’re getting married!”

Light Shield gave a loud whoop for joy, and shouted, “Congratulations, my friend! I am so happy for you!”

Suddenly realizing what was happening, and that Cinder Star had indeed been the mysterious princess at the ball, Rose Petal and Cherry Blossom threw themselves down before Cinder Star. “Dear, Sister!” They cried out. “We’ve been so horrible to you! Please, please forgive us!”

Cinder Star sighed, then smiled, and embraced them both in a warm hug. “Of course I forgive you, my Sisters.” She then looked across the room at Lady Fragrance, who was too proud to join in the celebration, and said kindly, “And you, as well, Stepmother.” Lady Fragrance said nothing in reply. Close by on the wall, the picture of Cinder Star's father now seemed to smile.

Prince Majestic then swiftly returned to the castle with Cinder Star, Light Armor, and their guards. Cinder Star only brought with her a little bundle which carried her glass slippers, and her mother’s wool coat. Cinder Star was nervous about meeting the King and Queen of Unicornia, but Majestic reassured her not to worry and she felt better.

King Imperial Might was shocked at first when Majestic presented Cinder Star to him and Queen Aurora as the mysterious mare from the ball, and his bride to be. Cinder Star bowed low in respect. Majestic told them all about his search for Cinder Star, and then Cinder Star told them her story of the ball, and put on her glass slippers to verify both. “But she’s an earth pony!” King Imperial exclaimed when they had finished. “You’re the Prince of Unicornia! You can not marry an earth pony!”

“There is no such law to prevent it,” answered Majestic. “Age old traditions are not laws, and even if there were such a law, I would gladly give up my crown to marry Star. I shall marry her, or no one.”

“Wait,” said Cinder Star. She was worried for Majestic. “I could never ask you to give up your kingdom and everything for my sake.”

Majestic smiled. “You wouldn’t have to, my dear,” he said and kissed her forehead. He turned again to the King.

“But… but… she’s an… Earth Pony,” sputtered Imperial, still trying to wrap his head around what he was hearing.

Majestic shook his head. “That doesn’t matter to me!” he replied firmly, then, more calmly, as he looked at Cinder Star, “I love you, Star.”

“And I love you, Jes,” answered Cinder Star with equal assurance as she gently rubbed her head against Majestic’s neck.

Also, Father,” Majestic continued, “You gave me your word that I could marry ANY MARE who attended the ball, and Star IS the mare I fell in love with at the ball. Would the King of Unicornia go back on his word?” he asked.

“That is true,” verified Queen Aurora. “You did say that, and you gave him your word. I heard you give it.”

King Imperial remained flustered for a few moments, but gradually he sighed, and replied, “You are right, my Son. I’ve been caught in my own words, but even if I had not…,” He paused as he thought, then concluded, “I suppose that even in the best traditions, there are, and is, room for the very best exceptions.

Imperial stood, and Aurora with him, each with a fore leg outstretched. “Welcome to the family, Star,” they said as they hugged their dear daughter-in-law for the first time, and Majestic couldn’t help but join in as well. Cinder Star was very happy. At last, she had a whole family again. "Thank you so much!" she said.

Soon after, Prince Majestic, and Princess Star were married and pronounced husband and wife. They had a beautiful wedding, and Cinder Star practically glowed in her white and gold wedding dress as she walked down the aisle next to Majestic who wore his royal purple cape. It was only a semi-grand event, as many of the unicorns of Unicornia were not too excited over the fact that the Unicorn Prince had married an earth pony mare, but, over time, Princess Star won nearly all of them over with her kindness, good nature, and compassion.

Eventually, Majestic and Cinder Star ruled over Unicornia as King and Queen, and had foals of their own, as is recorded in the history of Unicornia, and in all those years they were forever happy together. For kindness, forgiveness, and love, when freely given, have the greatest rewards.

Rose Petal and Cherry Blossom accepted Cinder Star’s invitation, and came to live with her in the castle as well. Inspired by Cinder Star, they became much kinder, and she soon saw both of her sisters happily married to two knights. Rose Petal was wed to Sir Light Shield, and Cherry Blossom to Sir Gallant. Cinder Star’s three ewes also found a new pasture in the castle’s fields, where they were well taken care of, and often visited by Cinder Star.

Lady Fragrance never did change her ways. Her vanity and pride wouldn’t let her. She remained in the kingdom selling her perfumes on occasion, but lived a quiet life, happy enough with her wealth, though it did her little good.

Cinder Star never did see Nelly again, but, just in case she or any other breezies were to pass by, she built another small breezie house, and set it up in the castle gardens. They would always be welcome there. And they all lived happily ever after.

The End.

Author's Note:

Face Dancer belongs to Ddraigtanto, and The Machina Academy of Magic is a creation of Ddraigtanto. https://www.deviantart.com/ddraigtanto

Comments ( 3 )

If the main OCs in this story were voiced, what would they sound like?

10034605
That's open to some interpretation, but I would say that Cinder Star has a sweet voice, something like Sugar Belle, and Prince Majestic would sound a bit like Shinning Armor, but just a bit softer.

Hello everyone! Nocturn2 (Nocturn Dreamwrite) here. Thank you very much for your interest in this story and project! So, yes, this is the story of Cinder Star, a horse/unicorn version of the classic take of Cinderella. Please keep in mind that this is the slightly altered My Little Pony version of my story. The actual story takes place in Sewell, not Equestria. Other than that, and a couple of minor details, the text is the same. The book will be published for real along with the illustrations commissioned from the talented JeneryFilly! Please enjoy this wonderful tale of Cinder Star, and look out for parts 2 and 3!

Login or register to comment