• Published 24th Feb 2020
  • 794 Views, 16 Comments

Friends And Lovers - FourShadow



The month of love is here and everyone's got their own little plans to celebrate the holiday.

  • ...
1
 16
 794

First Date! (Rainbow Dash/Indigo Zap)

"Hey, hey, hey girls!" Sour Sweet called cheerfully.

"Hey Sour," her friends said in unison.

Sour Sweet, Lemon Zest, Indigo Zap, Sugarcoat, and Sunny Flare; who were most commonly known as the Shadow Five, at least to most of their friends, were hanging out at the Canterlot Mall. They had a wonderful day of shopping for accessories, new clothes, and just stocking up on supplies for the next week. And all around they could see the mall was preparing for yet another holiday to come. If the red, white, and pink decor wasn't obvious enough, it was sure obvious now.

"So with Valentine's Day around the corner, does anyone have any big plans now that February is in full swing?" Sunny Flare asked, sipping some of her coffee.

"I don't really have any. I'm just going to chill around town, see what's what," Sugarcoat admitted, shrugging.

"I'm taking my date someplace special tonight, I hope she loves it," Sour squeaked with joy.

"I haven't asked this person out yet, but I'm hoping maybe I can ask 'em if they wanna go out on a date," Lemon blushed. "What about you Sunny?"

"I met a wonderful boy in town the other day. We hit it off so good, we agreed to go out for a date next week!" Sunny squeed like a fangirl meeting a celebrity. "What about you Indigo? Anyone on your radar? Any cute boys?"

Indigo wasn't paying attention to any of them. Her eyes were distracted by the girl she was eyeing just across, hanging with some of her friends. She wore a white tank top with a cloud and rainbow lightning stream underneath it. Tight pants that showed her curves, a cool blue punk jacket with running boots. The former captain of all of CHS, and guitarist of the Rainbooms; Rainbow Dash.

Her rainbow hair was flowing beautifully, and her face while not exactly looking like royalty, looked so darn cute she could just nuzzle her all day.

"Indigo."

"Dah, oh! Uh... what were we talking about?"

"Are there any cute boys on your radar you've been looking out for?"

Indigo halted. She looked away, not giving them a response. For a second, Sunny thought she did something wrong and corrected herself.

"O-Or girls, that's fine! We're not going to judge you," Sunny raised her hands in protest. And she looked at the others with a glare. "Right girls?"

"Of course dude!"

"Yes."

"Always! Just don't rub it in my face when you find someone hot," Sour agreed.

"So who's the lucky one you have a crush on, dude?" Lemon asked, putting her hands under her chin with interest.

"It's, um... Rainbow Dash," Indigo admitted.

"Really? Rainbow Dash? I mean I like her fine, but... why her? ... Actually no, hold on, when did this happen?" Sour Sweet asked, giving her a 'what the heck did you just say' face.

"Well... Remember when we were having panic attacks at the Friendship Games?"

***

"I think that mullet haired chick is cute!" Lemon panicked.

"I kinda write mean things on the internet because I'm bored!" Sunny confessed.

"I'm obsessed with telling the truth even if it hurts people's feelings," Sugarcoat added, shaking.

"I secretly make cookies and candy for our classmates and friends so I can feel better whenever I snark or sass at them!" Sour admitted.

"I have a massive crush on Rainbow Dash!"

Everyone went silent as they stared at Indigo. She blinked and looked back at them with a harsh blush. "What? I thought we were all confessing, so..."

***

"... You were telling the truth?" Sour asked.

Indigo sighed. "Yes."

"She is. I can hear it," Sugarcoat confirmed. "But the bigger question is why? When did this happen, this seems to be coming from out of nowhere."

"Well. after we became friends, we started hanging out some more. I didn't think it was anything, but I saw myself paying more and more attention to her. I... okay, I'm not gonna drag this out with any mushy stuff, I think she looks cute!"

Sunny Flare giggled. "Sooo... why don't you ask her?"

Indigo stopped again. "Um, uh, I'm sorry, what?"

"Why don't you ask her out?"

"I... how do I even know she swings that way?"

"You won't know. Just ask her!"

"... Okay, I will!" Indigo said, standing up with a boost of confidence. And then the fear triggered in her head, playing a hypothetical scenario of what could go down. Possibly disgust. Rebuttal of her affections and feelings.

"But, w... What if she says no?"

"You won't know, until you try," Sunny Flare scooted her feet across the floor, pushing her friend a few feet closer, "Just give it a shot."

"O-Oh, well, o-okay..." The athlete stops for a second, slowly breathing. "Alright Indy, you got this." Clearing her throat, she spoke as loud as she could. "Hey, Rainbow!"

The former CHS captain turned around and smiled. "Oh hey Indigo!"

Now or never, Indy. "What uh... whatcha doing?"

"Nothin' much, how are you?"

"Oh, nothing much. I just uh... thought I'd see how you were doing. You uh... got any plans for Valentine's Day?"

Rainbow shrugged. "Not really. I'm single, I don't really have any plans for tonight."

"Oh, well, I'm sorry." There was a moment of awkward silence. "Annnnyhoo, uh. I wasn't sure, but maybe, I was wondering if you uh... since you're alone and all... would you... like to do something... tonight?" Indigo hesitated.

Rainbow stopped for a second. She gave a thought, and her head nodded shrugging a bit too. "Sure, yeah, I suppose. So is this like a hangout, or--"

"--Actually, no. I wanted to ask you out... on a date," Indigo blushed hard.

Rainbow blinked. "You... want to ask me out on a date?"

"Um... yessssss????" Indigo hesitated.

Rainbow blushed a bit. "Um... s-sure!"

Like a lightswitch, Indigo lit up and squeed in excitement. "YESSS!!!" She picked up Rainbow and swung her around in excitement. "Oh we're going to have the best time ever, I promise you!" She stopped mid-swing when she realized how giddy she was acting. And she looked up at Rainbow Dash who was shocked to see this come from Indigo Zap of all people.

"Hehe," Indigo set Rainbow back down. "Sorry."

"T-That's okay. So, uhh... where you want to meet up?"

"Hmm, maybe tonight, maybe meet up at the Wondercolt statue?"

"Great! I'll see you then?"

"Uhhh... s-sure, yeah," Rainbow blushed. "See you then Indy..."

Indigo Zap felt proud of herself. Turning around, she confidentially walked back to her table and sat back down with the biggest grin in the world.

"Someone’s in a happy mood."

"Yep!" Indigo grinned, sticking two thumbs up at herself. "This girl's got a date with Rainbow Dash!" Indigo took two sips of her drink before the truth finally set in, making her hack up her drink right onto the table. "Ack, ugh, ack!"

"What's wrong?" Sunny Flare asked.

In fact, the truth hit her like a sledgehammer. "I GOT A DATE WITH RAINBOW DASH!"

And then the waiter came by.

"More ketchup?"

"NO!!"


Sometime later, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Rarity were all gathered at Rarity's home. Rarity was busy helping Rainbow look for an outfit for her date, despite Rainbow insisting she not wear one. Applejack was just sitting idly, staying as just a part of the conversation.

"How'd you even say yes to that? I gotta say Rainbow, I... I didn't think you swung that way."

Rainbow blushed. "I don't know! I mean, I think I do but I don't, but... I don't know! She honestly looked kinda... cute."

"Oh my. Someone's a smitten kitten," Rarity teased.

"Rarity, come on!" Rainbow still blushed. "I just need something to wear tonight, now that I'm going on a date with Indy."

"How about this?"

Rainbow glared at Rarity. "I'm not trying to show off anything, Rarity."

"Au contraire, Rainbow Dash. Some of the ensembles I've created are for all kinds of people. Surely you'd want something for Indigo to look at," Rarity winked with a coy grin.

Rainbow's blush harshened. "Rarity..."

"Oh, alright," Rarity said, a little annoyed. "How about this?"

Ripped straight out of the closet was, shock of all shock, a rainbow dress. And with the ensemble were purple arm warmers, and red boots, and a belt held by a gold cloud and lightning bold symbol to keep it tight against her body.

"Ooh... I like it," Rainbow grinned.

"Rainbow, this was the outfit I had picked out for the Fall Formal!"

"But come on, I think it looks nice!"

"No!" Rarity refused. "We will find another alternative outfit, I would rather you keep this intact in case we decide to have another Fall Formal!"

Rainbow pouted and she collapsed onto Rarity's bed. And she didn't say a word, not even to the cat that was pawwing at her shoulder, demanding pets.


What Rainbow didn't know was that Indigo was having trouble picking an outfit as well.

“How about this one?” Indigo asked.

“Eh, too revealing. I don’t think you’re really much of the ‘showing cleavage’ type,” Sugarcoat said bluntly as ever.

Indigo shrugged but just tossed the dress on the bed. And soon more of them were being thrown.

“I like that one,” Lemon pointed as it landed next to her. And another landed on her right. “That’s a good color.” And another dress came, this time landing on her head. “This one smells funny.”

“How about this one?” Indigo asked, showing a small sundress.

“Eh, I don’t think so, you don’t seem like the sundress type either,” Sunny Flare shook her head.

“Also, it’s Valentine’s Day, and it’s cold outside. Really don’t think wearing a dress during winter would be the best idea,” Sugarcoat added.

Indigo gave a deadpan expression. “Sugarcoat, I love you but—”

“—I’m straight as an arrow, Indigo,” Sugarcoat interrupted.

Platonically,” Indigo said through her teeth. “I love you, but you know sometimes your bluntness doesn’t always help.”

“You know me. I’m obsessed with telling the truth,” Sugarcoat said. While her voice and tone didn’t change, her face did show some genuine guilt and shame.

“Okay, I think I found the one, lemme go try it on,” Indigo said, grabbing something off a rack and stepping into the closet.

The girls listened to the sound of things being shuffled and rummaged inside the closet, even the door being banged a few times.

“You good Indy?” Lemon asked.

“I’m fine, Lemon. Thank you.”

“You know, I could just have rolled out a screen for you to dress behind, you didn’t need to go in the closet,” Sunny said.

“I still feel exposed! I don’t want any of you girls to see me naked!”

“Is it because of the weird lightning bolt mark on your butt?” Lemon teased.

“Lemon!”

“Just kidding!” The rocker giggled.

Sunny rolled her eyes. “So you’re overly confident when you’re playing sports, you’re motivating when someone is feeling down, and yet you are incredibly scared of getting dressed and undressed in the girls locker room?”

“I don’t like being seen in the nude Sunny! … Actually, who even does!?”

“… Very specific people?” Sunny shrugged.

“If Sour was here, she’d drop a truth bomb, I swear. Actually, where even is Sour anyway?”

“She’s on her date, you know that chick that works at the autobody shop? Always wears the green tinted glasses, plaid t-shirts, denim jeans?”

“Oh yeah, that chick! Doesn’t she own the red pickup?”

“Yeah, that’s her,” Sunny nodded. “She’s on a date with her tonight.”

“Okay, almost got it… Okay, what do you think?” Indigo opened up the closet door, revealing her dress. Sleeveless black dress that sparkled in the light.

“Whoa… Indigo, you are smokin’!” Lemon grinned. “Seriously, that looks great!”

“Very impressive,” Sugarcoat smiled.

“Thanks. You uh… you think Rainbow Dash will like it?” Indigo blushed a bit, rubbing the back of her head.

“I’m sure she’ll love it. Now what are you waiting for, you got a date tonight!” Sunny announced.


By the time the evening had came, Rainbow Dash had already arrived at the spot. She stood outside the Wondercolt statue with her motorbike parked on the sidewalk. She had planned to take Indigo to her planned spot with that sweet baby, thanks to her earning a license to drive.

The dress she picked wasn't as awesome as the other, but it was okay at the most. Dark blue, a strap held together around her waist. She leaned against the side of the statue, away from the now known portal entrance so she wouldn't fall through.

"Oh, Indy. U-Uh, hi," Rainbow Dash introduced. She didn't know what was happening, but she started feeling nervous all over. Where did this come from, she never had this happen! She needed her confidence, and she needed it NOW. But what she didn't expect was Indigo just looked so dang gorgeous. Her hair was still rockin' as always, with her signature goggles still held at the top of her head, but that dress... woooow. She wasn't a dress person, but she thought Indigo looked straight up sexy.

"I think I might have overdressed," Indigo said, blushing.

"Well, I don't know if this helps but... you do look really nice," Rainbow said, trying to be nice.

"O-Oh. uh, thanks," Indigo blushed. "You uh... you look great too!"

"Thanks," Rainbow softly smiled.

"So, uh, where do you want to go?"

"I know a pretty dance club we can go hang out at," Rainbow offered. "Come on."

"Sweet!"

Rainbow got herself up on her bike, and placed her helmet on her head. Indigo was given one as well, which she made sure was held on tight. The engine revved and the bike took off like the wind to the club.

The drive wasn't too long, only spanning ten minutes. And they got to the place they needed to be just fine. They could hear the thumping bass of music bleed through the building. And once inside, their eyes were greeted to sights of teenagers dancing within the club. Neon lights flashing on a dance floor as boys and girls busted some moves. The smell of fresh cooked food whiffed in the air, making their mouths water.

The two of them found a table to sit at, while most of the other guests either ate, drank, or danced on the dance floor. Their waiter came by with their drinks, which left the two of them alone to talk.

"So... here we are," Rainbow said, trying to start a conversation.

"Yeah... here we are," Indigo added, blushing a bit, rubbing the back of her head.

Somehow, even with the thumping bass of the music in the club, there was still awkward silence in between them.

"Soooo... um..." Rainbow stopped. "I... ugh, I'm sorry. I'm not really good at this."

"It's okay, Rainbow. I'm new to this too," Indigo said, patting her hand.

"Okay, if I remember what Rarity said, one of the things I'm supposed to do on a first date is ask about interests... soooo, um. ... What are you into?"

Indigo decided to just play along with it. "Well, I love sports, I'm very athletic at Crystal Prep Academy. I do have a habit of being incredibly competitive, which is why I also love video games."

"Really? What kind?"

"Well I guess I like a lot of action games, those first person shooter kind of games, love those to death. Military, sci-fi action and adventure, those kinds," she answered. "What about you?"

"I like action games as well, though I do like some horror action games here and there, those are fun."

"Hey, sweet!" Indigo grinned. "What about movies, favorite movies?"

"Well I'm very excited to see the Daring Do movie, I really hope that'll be awesome."

"Wasn't that supposed to be done last year?"

"Yeah, but apparently production has been a bit slow," Rainbow shrugged. "Also my friend Adagio said that Chestnut Magnefico is crazy."

"Define crazy," Indigo raised a brow with suspicion. "Are we talking mentally unstable crazy, money grubbing crazy, or ridiculous celebrity demands crazy?"

"I... I don't know, you'd have to ask her, I didn't get a clear answer," Rainbow shook her head. "Hmm... okay, have you thought of any colleges you want to go to?"

"Well, part of me thought about attending Canterlot University. It's a good place, and it's not far from home. And I know most of my friends have tried applying there, I was hoping maybe if I applied, maybe I could still be with my friends."

"That's cool," Rainbow nodded.

Some more awkward silence filled the air.

"Well, do you mind if I ask you something?"

"No, go ahead," Rainbow nodded.

"Have... have you been doing okay? Since the Games?" Indigo asked.

Rainbow didn't finish her sip. She hadn't thought about that in a long time. The games had happened a few months ago, but Rainbow had long moved past them. But she hadn't caught up with the group on everything that had been going on.

"Actually, I've... I've been great," she said with an honest smile. "Not everyone hates us as much (though there are still a few jerks here and there) but I've been doing great! I'm still not captaining anything, but I'm okay with that."

"That's good. I've just been wondering, that's all. I hadn't heard how things have been going since then," Indigo replied.

Soon their waiter came by with their food, and let them be. It smelled so dang good.

"Oh, and if you don't mind me asking, um. It's okay if you say no, but did you have any other feelings for me?"

Rainbow drooped. "Oh, um... well..."

"It's okay if you say no, I-I understand," Indigo admitted. "I did kinda spring this date out on you from nowhere, so..."

"Indigo, it's fine. Look, I'll admit, I didn't share this with anyone, but I didn't think I was... into girls. But when we talked and hung out during and after the Games, I... I felt like you were the best person I've ever met. You're level-headed, you're just as competitive as me, you're a good sport, you... you're awesome."

Indigo blushed. "I don't think I'm that awesome..."

"Indigo. You are. I'm being serious. And not be mushy but I do think you're cute."

"... Dang it, now I'm feeling all mushy too," Indigo pouted playfully.

As the evening carried on, the two of them continued to chat some more. Some topics bounced around, talking about how they met their friends, some favorite activities that held onto them, even throwing out a few ideas for things they could do together down the line. Eventually they did some dancing later in the club, but for now, it was just enjoying the simplicity of eating dinner with one another. Indigo and Rainbow tried a few things, including feeding each other some of their food. Just a simple evening of smiles, flirting, and laughing . What could be better?

Eventually after their date night was done, Rainbow Dash took Indigo back at her house, and walked her to her front door. The two of them stood for a moment, looking at each other, deep in each other's eyes.

"Say uh, Indy? Can I call you that?"

Indigo nodded.

"You uh... you want do this again?"

And Indigo had the biggest smile for the first time in her life. She gave Rainbow a kiss on her cheek, and looked at her appreciatively.

"I'd love to."