• Published 17th Mar 2020
  • 4,035 Views, 308 Comments

Flash Sentry Chronicles: War of the Lost City - Banshee531



The Lost City of Faust, a place of great mystery. Flash's destiny awaits him here, his friends ready to stand by his side. But his is not the only destiny waiting there. An army of darkness draws near and a war is about to begin. Who will win?

  • ...
8
 308
 4,035

Soul's Destiny

It was another peaceful day in the Lost City of Faust.

The sun was shining, the birds singing and ninety-nine point nine nine percent of the city was completely abandoned. But in that point one percent of the city, cries of laughter could be heard echoing through the streets.

"You can't catch me!" The pegasus colt known as Fire Heart cheered as he flew through the street, right now being chased by another pegasus. This one was his sister Shining Soul, the filly zipping around as she tried to catch him.

"Get back here!" She yelled, Heart laughing as he zigzagged around the corners of several buildings. He laughed as he looked back and saw nopony in sight, a smirk appearing on his face before turning to another corner...only to see Soul flying right at him.

"WHOA!" He yelped as Soul tackled him, the two falling before bouncing off the rocky floor, the ground turning to a pillow-like surface. They bounced along the ground until coming to a stop, Soul pinning Heart to the ground as it solidified.

"Gotcha!" She laughed before jumping off him, "Tag, you're it!"

"No fair!" Heart growled as he stood up, "How'd you do that?"

"Talent," she laughed will whipping her tail in his face. "Anyway, your turn to count."

"Fine..." Heart groaned as he turned to the closest building and hid his face in it, "One, two, three, four, five..." Soul giggled as she flew away, soon getting herself about three streets away.

Once there, she landed and looked for a place to hide. The area was one she didn't know too well, mainly due to it being one of the more forage overgrown locations that she chose to stay clear of. "Hee hee..." Soul giggled, "He'll never think to look for me here."

"Ready or not, here I come!" Heart's voice echoed over the entire city, Soul quickly hiding in the shade of a building. She remained there for a few minutes, noticing Heart hadn't gotten even close to her location until hearing a voice.

"Come out come out wherever you are!" She looked up as she heard the sudden voice, now seeing Heart fly overhead. The filly quickly jumped into an alleyway in response, quietly trotting away before her ears suddenly spiked up.

"Hear me."

Soul froze on the spot, her eyes darting around as she swore she just heard another voice, "H-h-hello?"

"Hear me."

Soul turned around, hearing the voice in another alleyway, "Heart? Is that you...or a prank?" she asked into the empty street, only to hear the voice again.

"Come. Follow my voice." Soul blinked at the voice, her body moving as she felt herself drawn to the voice. She slowly walked into the alleyway, now seeing a large pile of boxes in front of her. "Follow my voice." As if in a trance, Soul flew over the boxes until she saw a section of the pile that was open with clear ground. "Come." She folded her wings and landed, only for the ground to suddenly vanish.

"WHOA!" She yelped as she found herself falling into some kind of tunnel, the place acting like a slide that she began to fall down at incredible speed. Panic struck her brain, the thought of using her wings to slow herself down not entering her mind as she fell. At some point, the tunnel began to spiral, Soul now finding herself on a helter-skelter for almost a minute until she reached the end...and was shot into a dark void.

She screamed as she began to fall into the darkness, but before she could open her wings, something shot out of the shadows. What could only be described as a bunch of thin glowing cables, the wires shot up and wrapped around different parts of her body to break her fall.

"What?!" She gasped as the cables kept her suspended. And as this happened, the entire area was suddenly filled with light, her eyes squinting as she now saw she was in a chamber filled with reflective crystals. Blinking at the sight, she looked up to see the source of the light, which was a spherical crystal sitting on a podium in the center of the camber.

Then...the crystal spoke.

"So, you are the one who can hear my voice." The voice was barely a whisper, Soul taking several seconds to figure out what was being said.

"What?"

"A time of great change is about to occur. For this, I will need a pony that can act as my voice. Only a select few have the ability to take up that role, and you are one such pony."

"Me? What are you talking about?" Soul asked, her little filly mind unable to comprehend the sight, "Why me?"

"You can hear my voice, meaning you have what it takes."

"But I can barely hear you."

"I know. That is why you must undergo a change. One that will forever shape your destiny in this world." Soul felt a shot of panic rush through her body, making her squirm as the crystal continued to speak, "I sense your fear, but do not be frightened. Your life up until now has lead up to this moment. The power you receive is one you can control as long as you accept it into your heart."

"Power?!" But before she could say anything else, the cables holding her began to loosen as a rainbow colored bubble appeared around her, "What's that?! What's happening?!"

"The time has come. I will summon you again when the time is right. Until then, take this time to grow used to your new form and remember my words. The power you will be gifted with is not a curse as long as you remember to accept it and not fear it. How you use it is your right and nopony else's. Remember that."

With those words said, the light coming from the bubble began to blind out the chamber. The filly's body started to get warmer next, Soul letting out cries of discomfort as she felt a mild piercing in her head. It didn't hurt, but it definitely caught her attention, so much so she didn't notice a flash of light appear on her flank that faded to reveal a pink mark. And before the pain could get beyond an annoying level, she blacked out.


"Aaaah!" Soul screamed as she sat up, her eyes shooting open. Gasping next, the filly rapidly blinked her eyes as she saw she was now back in her castle room with her brother snoring peacefully beside her.

She put her hoof to her chest, panting as she rubbed her head next, "It was just a dream Soul...just a dream." The filly laid back down, still gasping as her mind said, 'But was that really a dream?' She did a long gulp, curling up in her bed as she kept thinking about the dream.

"The power you receive is one you can control as long as you accept it into your heart."

"Power?" she whispered, clinching her hooves as she let out a whimper. Her mind went over the past few days, now trying to use magic. But as she did this, her mind thought only one question, 'Am I really the right choice to have this power?'


The next morning...

Shadow Corrupter sat in his throne, growling as he stared at the illusion screen that showed clips of his opponents in their battle.

"Lulamoon is able to overpower Terror's future sight. Steel's ice can actually overpower Salix's flames, and Scarlet's past with Sombra may lead to his consciousness re-surging. Then there's that wolf beast, who seems to be developing new abilities." The image changed to show Springer creating the hand from his Aura Guard. "Who knows how strong that thing could become...I really need some information on that creature." He switched it to Soarin trying to fight Storm, "Only the Wonderbolt doesn't seem all that strong...but that's guarantee victory. Then there's the last two." The first image showed Flash battling, him and Springer beating Wingill and Storm's team-up while the other showed Soul overwhelming three of his goons.

"Against that filly at full power, none of my minions have any chance of victory. If she unleashes that power again, I need to find a way to nullify it." He hissed, scratching the side of his head, "If only I was at full power. Then that disgusting alicorn wouldn't stand a chance."

"Master?" He turned to see Tempera walk into the room, a plate of his favorite breakfast floating beside her. "Is something wrong?"

"Everything's fine," he replied while looking back at the footage of Soul. "Tell me Tempera, how many of our possessions survived the transformation into the castle?"

"I...am not sure master," she muttered out, "With everything that's happened, we haven't really checked to see how much survived the transport's destruction. Would you like me to make a list of everything we've lost?"

"No, I only want one thing...and it better be in our possessions. The text of Sendak the Elder."

Tempera's eyes went wide, a small gulp going down her throat as she responded, "Master, you know what that'll do to you. It could be...weeks before you're able to move again. What about the rest of this war?"

"Against this filly, our only hope of winning is by this. Without her, they have no hope of victory."

"But without you-"

"You'll just have to pull out all the stops, won't you? Now bring me the text. I need to have the spell memorized before the game begins. Even if the two of us aren't chosen, it'll happen eventually. I wish to be ready." Tempera put his breakfast down, a huge frown on her face before bowing. And as she left the room, Shadow turned to the screens again, "I will win this...nothing will stop me."


"RAAAAAH!" Soarin roared as he threw several punches at Flash, the defender swiftly motioning backward to dodge each blow before blocking the last one with the flat of his blade. After Soarin had awakened, Flash and the others explained what they had learned about Sombra before everypony headed down to the training room. But as they did this, it was clear Soarin wasn't happy, his moves angry and erratic.

"Calm down!" Flash told him as he blocked two more blows, "You're not gonna beat anypony if you're angry like that."

"Grrrr…" Soarin growled as he and Flash took to air, Storm's words echoing in his head.

"Such a shame. You Wonderbolts are so well loved, but in the end, I guess a show pony can't compete with a true solider.

As I said before, you bring disgrace to your uniform. I don't know why you were chosen to come here, but it's clear it was a mistake. You're no warrior."

'Yeah, I'm no warrior...at least not yet.' Soarin let out a angry roar again, charging at Flash before the defender grabbed his front hoof and slung him downward. The pegasi quickly flashed his wings next, zipping back up at Flash as the knight started to block his blows again.

While this happened, Springer was trying to recreate what he did during the last battle. "Come on..." he moaned as he held his paw out, trying to change the shield's shape. But as he did this, the shield didn't even slightly change from its bubble shape. "Augh!" He yelped as the shield broke, falling over while reverting out of his battle form.

"You okay?" Heart asked him, now seeing the jakhowl clutch his head.

"My brain feels like it's on fire." Hearing this, Cold walked over and placed a hoof on his head, channeling ice magic into it. Springer's eyes closed as he sighed in relief, "Ah...that's nice. Thanks." Cold didn't respond, making Springer now look down at his paws, "I don't get it. Why can't I do that again?"

"Maybe try another shape?" Heart suggested, only for Springer to shake his head.

"No, I've tried that....but there's nothing." The jakhowl replied before turning to Ruby, the knight also being nearby. "Hey Ruby, did any other jakhowl you knew do anything like this? You know, like my dad?"

Ruby shook her head back, "No....at least of the ones I know. If they could, I never saw them do it." She let out a long hum, "Then again, you are Sharp Paw's kid...but I don't remember him or Calm doing anything like this. Perhaps its a power no regular jakhowl could do."

"Then why can't he do it again?" Heart asked next.

"Maybe it's not a matter of he can't and more of a can't yet." Cold responded, the others turning to him as he continued, "Say, you can't use your Aura Force attack in your current form, right?"

Springer did a small nod, "Yeah. I have to be in my battle mode to do it."

"Well maybe this is something you're not supposed to be able to do until you reach the next stage of your development."

"Next stage?" Heart yelped, "There's something past that battle mode transformation you have?"

"Yeah. I've been able to go past that form once." Springer replied, a certain memory now playing in his head, "Mega Mode...well, that's what I called it. I haven't been able to use it again since that fight with Shade. Heck, I haven't even got close."

"That's no surprise." Ruby chimed in, "You're still not an adult. Not only that, I didn't know any jakhowls that could pass battle form...but your circumstances are different than usual."

"I honestly don't think that matters." Cold added, "Springer is proof its possible. That should be enough until he figures it out."

"Wow..." Heart gasped before turning to his sister, "Jakhowls are so cool, right Soul?" His sister didn't respond, the filly just standing still where her horn tried to summon a small aura. "Sis?" He moved over and nudged her shoulder, making her gasp before spinning around. "Whoa, relax."

Soul quickly backpedaled, her horn sputtering as her eyes darted around, "Oh uh...sorry."

"Are you alright?" Trixie asked as she looked away from her own training. "You seem...distracted."

"I um...I just uh...had a bad dream. It was...weird."

"You wanna talk about it?" Trixie replied as she walked over and leaned down to the alicorn's level. Soul shrunk back, now seeing the others also staring at her. But before she could respond, the alarm rang throughout the room.

"Times up!" Flash yelled as he flew over and turned off the room. "Let's go!" The others nodded, all leaving the room in unison. And as they left, Soul slowly walked out, her mind playing the dream over and over.


In the other castle...

Shadow's eyes drifted back and forth as he read the old dusty tome before him. It was a book written in an ancient language, one that was neither Equestrian or the language he had seen on the tomb he found Armalum in. Despite this, he understood every word perfectly, his brain translating everything with ease.

A small smile began to form on his face as he then slammed the book shut, "Got it." As he said this, the alarm went off, making him put the book to his side, "Excellent. Just in time."

The doors burst open next, his followers rushing in as the machine appeared above the map. Three orbs came out next, Shadow's grin growing wider at the sight. "Perfect."

As this happened, Flash and his friends were now sitting at a 3D image on the table, a section of the city becoming outlined as the machine appeared and started spinning. Everypony grew tense as the first orb flew out, revealing it to have Ruby's cutie mark. The second ball came soon after, now showing Trixie's mark.

And as the machine continued to spin, Soul felt a chill go down her spine. She couldn't close her eyes, dread flushing over her form as a third sphere appeared...and showed her cutie mark. "NO!" she screamed, "Please, pick somepony else!"

Ruby and Trixie quickly went over to the filly, the knight patting her shoulder, "Don't panic Soul. Don't worry, we'll protect you."

"Promise." Trixie added before they all vanished. Heart sunk in his seat as the others began to tapping the map, now looking at the three dots appearing on the other side of the map.

"Oh no." Flash grimaced, the rest doing the same as a certain name appeared.


As soon as the mares appeared in the city, Ruby turned to Soul. "Go and hide. We'll try to draw them away from you."

"But then it'll be three against two!" Soul whimpered out, "I mean, I know I can't fight but....you know what happened last time!"

"That's a risk we'll gladly take." Ruby replied before leaning down to the filly's level, "Listen, do you want to help us?" Trixie went wide-eyed at the knight's question, only to see Soul slowly nod back. "Okay. If that's the case, hide for a few minutes and when you're in the clear, start looking for the orb. But the second you think somepony else is close by, hide and don't come out. Understand?"

Soul nodded back again, "Okay, I promise." She then turned away, only to look back, "Um....I'm sorry. I'll try to not be a burden."

The mares gave her two comforting smiles before the filly ran off, Trixie turning to Ruby next, "You don't think she's a burden, do you?"

"Not at all. But...she's too young for this kind of ordeal." The knight turned around and pointed her hoof ahead, "That's why we have to make sure she stays out of this fight."

"Right." Trixie replied before sighing, "Sweet Luna, she's a Fluttershy in a Rainbow situation....but we can't help that. Come on, we have to get as far away from her as possible."

Ruby nodded back as they started to run down the many streets, Ruby asking, "Any ideas for getting their attention?"

"No, but I could always-"

"Look out!" Ruby interrupted before tackling Trixie just as a burst of fire shot out of an alleyway, an explosion now happening behind them. The two quickly rolled back to their hooves, spinning around to see Salix, "Guess we don't need to get their attention now."

"Its fine. We can take him!" Trixie yelled as Salix charged at them, flames encasing his entire body. Seeing this, she formed a shield, the nirik bouncing off the sudden barrier before cutting the shield.

"Ruby Saber!" the knight roared as she ran through the now vanishing barrier, quickly swiping the blade at the nirik. He tried to backpedal away, only for the sword to nick his face, making him yelp and hop back. But as he did this, Trixie fired an ice blast, hitting his hooves.

"Not this time!" he growled as he flared up his mane, melting the frozen liquid before it could even hurt. "Don't think I'll fall for that twice! You might be able to do ice magic, but you're leagues from being on that ice-making knight guy's level!"

"Maybe...but my illusions are a cut above the rest." She sparked her horn, creating an army of Rubys that were all carrying a crystal sword and a smirk on their faces.

"Oh, come on!" Salix yelled as he began firing fireballs at the fakes, knocking out a few. But as they continued to charge, he tensed up his body, then unleashing an extreme amount of heat that flew over the group. And as this happened, only one appeared to flinch. "There you are!" He fired out a burst of flame at the real Ruby, the mare quickly stabbing her sword into the ground, transforming it into a giant crystal wall.

And as Ruby and Trixie began to counterattack, Shadow stood on a nearby roof with Terror by his side. She was glaring at Trixie as she commented, "It's like there's some unseen force dragging the two of us together."

"Then go settle the score," Shadow ordered, "I'll deal with the last of their team. After all, if those two are on their own, it means only one thing..." His face morphed into a giant grin, "The alicorn's with them."

Terror's eyes grew wide as she turned to her master, "You sure?"

"None of the others are the hiding type. It has to be her." His horn began to flare as he turned to her, "Keep them occupied by any means necessary."

The unicorn replied with a small bow, "Yes master."

Shadow's grin continued to grow as he turned around, slowly walking away as he whispered, "At last. Its finally time to take the power I deserve."

With that, he teleported away in a black flash, leaving Terror as she stared back at Trixie. "Payback time Lulamoon." She hissed, now watching Salix launched fireballs at the two. And as Trixie jumped back to avoid some of the flames, Terror warped down to her, "Surprise!"

Before Trixie could react, Terror tackled her as a magic encased both. A split second later, both vanished out of sight, making Ruby yell, "TRIXIE!"

"Ha!" Salix laughed as he fired another fireball at the knight, Ruby quickly blocking it with her blade. "Don't worry about her. Its just you and me now."

"Crystal Shot!" Ruby instantly responded, summoning several crystal arrows before firing them. Seeing the incoming attacks, Salix breathed a stream of fire...only for the arrows to fly right through the flames unscathed.

"What?!" He yelped, ducking as the arrows skimmed over his body, cutting off some burning hairs, "Oh, come on!" He growled, "First Cold and now you?! What happened to the good old days when everything caught on fire?!"

"My crystals have a very high melting point. One you clearly can't reach." Ruby replied as she reshaped her sword into a pike-like instrument. "Now, are you gonna bring the heat or am I in for a disappointing battle?"

"Grrrr….I'll show you heat! RAAAH!" Salix roared as flames consumed his body, a trail of fire following behind him as he charged.


Meanwhile...

A flash of light enveloped a nearby street, Trixie and Terror appearing next as they rolled on the ground. As this happened, Trixie kicked Terror off her before getting on her hooves. And as they stared each other down, Trixie chuckled, "What, didn't you get enough of a flank whopping last time? Don't tell me you enjoy being beaten."

Terror let out a low growl, "You may have beaten me last time, but I beat you the time before. Our score is dead even!"

"So you wanna break the tie?"

"Obviously," Terror's eyes flashed purple next, only to flinch as she saw nothing but a blur. "Augh!"

"Still can't see it, can you?" Trixie replied while crossing her hooves with a confident smirk, "I told you, I'm not letting anypony dictate my future other than me."

"We'll see about that!" Terror barked back before throwing a card. A dome appeared around them next, Terror tensing up as she had never used the card regularly without future sight, only for it to stop right side up, "Arcana of the Chariot!" The dome shrank around her before exploding, the light consuming her body before she charged at Trixie with blinding speed.

Trixie yelped as she barely jumped to the side, dodging Terror's punch. The mare slid along the ground as Terror threw another card up before rushing in, slamming her hoof into Trixie's gut. A wheeze of air came out of Trixie's mouth as she felt the blow, only to grab Terror's hoof and spin her around, throwing her into the street.

Terror grinded along the ground from the blow, now looking up to see the card stopped spinning, now being upside down. Trixie chuckled as she saw the card, "Arcana of the Reversed...what is that, the Magician?" The dome exploded and as the light flew into her, Trixie felt a sudden rush of magical energy, "Oh yeah, that's the one." She started firing a barrage of magical beams, Terror's still enhanced speed allowing her to side-step every blast. But as she did this, the magic began to wear off, causing a beam to her right in the chest.

"AUGH!" She yelped as she knocked back, this time about to hit a building. The cultist then summoned a shield, Trixie firing another beam at her. The barrier was instantly shattered by the blow, knocking her into the stone wall...only for her to spin midair and plant her hooves in the stone.

Propelling off the side, her horn sparked as she suddenly teleported, Trixie now hearing a flash of magic behind her. But as she turned around, a beam of magic hit her chest, "Augh!" she cried as she was now knocked back, Terror laughing as she threw up another card.

As they happened, Trixie got back on her hooves, firing another beam at Terror, only for the seer to duck under the blast. And as she did this, the card came to a stop...right side up. "Yes! Arcana of the Tower!" Terror cheered as a bolt of lightning shot out of the card, Trixie summoning a shield in response.

But as the bolt hit, the barrier shattered instantly, knocking her back. "Gyah!" she yelped as she was sent flying, only to point her horn down as she fired another beam, this one hitting the still cheering Terror.

"AAAAH!" She and Trixie screamed as they both slammed into nearby building walls, the two slumping over with loud shouts of pain.


"Ouch," Heart flinched before looking away, "That had to hurt."

"They appear to be on even hoofing," Cold added as they saw the two pick themselves up and continue their fight. "Though with Terror no longer able to see the future, Trixie's abilities may be too much for her to keep up with."

As he said that, Terror threw a card into the air, making Springer shake his head, "Yeah...but those cards are still bad news."

"Unless they stop for Trixie," Soarin chimed in as the Strength card stopped upside down, granting Trixie the boost. "See?"

Flash didn't say anything as he watched Trixie punch the ground, causing an earthquake that knocked Terror off balance. His eyes weren't looking at the fights, instead alternating between the screens and the map as he watched Soul's dot slowly move from building to building. "Please find that orb soon..." he whispered, only to go wide-eyed as another dot got closer to her, "Oh no."

The others turned to him, now seeing what he was watching as Cold let out a low sigh, "Shadow..."


Down in the city, Soul beat her wings furiously as she zipped between the houses.

As she entered one, the filly zoomed through every room before going to the next, her ears trying to hear every explosion in the distance. She knew they would be her signal on where not to go, and as is she left another building, she landed on a street and closed her eyes, "Come on, think Soul! In the past, the orbs were never in the areas the two teams first arrived in. Of course, that makes sense if you're trying to be fair....but that also means its somewhere in the middle of the battleground." She turned to the a new explosion happening in the distance, her ears flopping down, "That means its somewhere over there."

But as she said this, her eyes turned to see a building collapse two streets over. Her eyes went wide as she saw another building now melt into nothingness, a familiar black-gray mist appearing on the edges of the disappearing house. "Shadow..." she whispered as her fear meter jumped from five to eleven in a matter of seconds. The filly tried to not gasp, quickly turning and shooting down an alleyway.

However, as she tried to hide, Shadow turned to the street she was on, his eyes catching a glimpse of her tail. A low chuckle left his mouth, "There you are." His horn began to glow as it was covered by the mist, "I'm in the mood for a little bit of fun. It's been a while since I got to enjoy the thrill of the chase."

With that, he shot the mist off his horn, hitting the building Soul had hidden behind. The filly's eyes shrunk as she saw the house melt in front of her, turning to dust as she flared her wings and flew away. The sight made him laugh, "Run run run as fast as you can. I'll catch you, no matter how far you go." His horn shined as he teleported to the street she had just flew over, his hooves calmly trotted down the road, "And when I finally have you, I will take what is rightfully mine."


Meanwhile, again...

"Take this!" Salix roared as he fired several fireballs at Ruby, the crystal mare spinning her pike around the same way Storm would his Celestic Gear.

The weapon deflected every flame, Ruby then spinning her body before thrusting the tip of the spear, "Hey!" Salix yelped as he started to backpedal, "What is it with you knights and pointy things?!"

"They get the job done," Ruby replied as she kept swinging the spear, Salix continuing to move backward.

"Grah! Just burn already!" Salix yelled as he started thrusting his tail, flinging fireballs over the knight. Ruby quickly countered by spinning her spear over her, only for Salix to fire a stream out of his mouth. The mare looked back down just as he did this, her horn flaring as she dismissed the spear and punched the ground, creating a crystal spike to block the blast.

"Gotcha!" the nirik cheered as he lit on fire and rocketed around the spike, only to see the mare was now gone, "Huh?"

"No, I've got you!" Salix heard as he turned to see Ruby suddenly appeared before swinging a Crystal Hammer into his head.

"Augh!" he yelped as he was thrown back, Ruby creating a second hammer while he skid across the ground. And as Salix tried to pick himself up, Ruby teleported over and smacked him with a hammer, knocking him away before teleporting to where he was about to land. Another blow from the hammer followed this, knocking Salix back as she teleported to another spot and hit him around like a pinball.

And as this happened, Salix let out a scream, "ENOUGH!" A wave of heat shot off him in all directions, pushing Ruby back as he put a hoof in his mane and suddenly threw something out. It was a card, which exploded and created a dome of light around them. Seeing this, Ruby sparked her horn for a teleport spell, only for her magic aura to sputter out.

"HA! Now you're mine!" Salix roared as he saw this.

Ruby spun both hammers in her hooves before morphing them into one, "I don't think so."


At the same time...

"Arcana of the Emperor!" Terror's card dome shrank around her before exploding, the light entering her body and re-energizing her. The seer then started firing a barrage of blasts, Trixie countering by creating a small army of herselves. They quickly started running around, Terror taking out several before they all charged at her. Seeing this, Terror began back-flipping, dodging a few of the Trixies punches before the real one appeared behind her, slamming both backhooves into the cultist's side, "Augh!"

Trixie giggled as she saw Terror land into a few of the Trixie illusions, turning them into smoke before the rest vanished. "That the best you got?! Guess you really can't fight without seeing the future." Trixie mocked with a confident smirk, Terror getting back on her hooves before throwing two cards up.

However, no dome appeared with these cards, making Trixie realize what she was going for. Despite this, Terror let out a roar as she charged at Trixie, trying to punch her. Trixie quickly blocked the blow and countered with a jab, smacking the cultist back before Terror threw two more punches. And as Trixie dodged both, the cards stopped spinning with one right side up and the other upside down.

The two leapt back as the cards unleashed their effects, Trixie finding a lightning bolt coming down at her while a black fog went after Terror. Trixie summoned a halfway decent shield that blocked a good amount of the lightning, but it broke before the bolt was completely spent, the remaining lightning striking her to the core. "AAAHHH!" She screamed, falling over as the electricity flowed through her body.

As this happened, Terror stood still, barely moving as she kept looking around in a empty black void. And as this happened, Trixie got up and shook her head before seeing Terror still being blinded. Quickly grabbing a piece of debris, she threw it past Terror, the sound of the rock getting the mare's attention.

"Gotcha!" She spun around and fired a blast, hitting the rock. But as she did this, Trixie charged up her horn before hitting the mare with a giant magic beam, "GYAH!" She screamed as she was struck in the back, slumping over before spinning around and firing back.

However, her blast hit nothing as Trixie teleported a few feet away, now catching her breath as Terror kept spinning around. 'Not good. I've been too confident and used up way too much magic.' she thought before shaking her head, 'No. I beat her once, I'll do it again.'


In another section of the city...

Soul was now zigzagging between buildings, her form zipping around every alley as she kept doubling back to make sure Shadow wasn't following her. But as she did this, a sudden flash of light appeared in front of her, "Boo!" he laughed as he teleported in, making her scream before spinning around and flying away.

"Ahahaha!" Shadow laughed as he saw her fly, his horn glowing before vanishing again. As he did this, Soul went behind another two buildings, only for him to appear again, "Surprise!"

"Eek!" she yelped before she darting away again, "Please go away!" she whimpered out, tears flowing down her face as he heart pounded a million times a minute.

And as she kept flying, Shadow teleported behind her...only to see she had jumped into a nearby building. Hopping down to the structure's doors, he opened it up to see it was a warehouse-like building. The place was filled with different sized boxes, all stacked up to almost the ceiling in some parts.

He let out a low chuckle as he slowly tiphoofed inside, "Marco...polo." Soul's entire body vibrated, the filly covering her mouth as she hid in one of the boxes. The sound of his hooves tapped the floor, making sweat pour down her face, "Marco..." his voice was right outside of her box, "Polo." Her mind went blank, about to faint as he suddenly stood still, pure fear consuming her as she waited for him to speak. "Marco...POLO!"

BOOM!

Her body didn't move, her heart stopping as she heard a pile of wood boxes a few feet from her explode. And as she heard this, Shadow clicked his tongue as he said, "You know, this can end right now. Just come out and I promise I'll be merciful." He then heard a knocking sound, spinning around to see a box with its lid off. Leaning over the container, he found it empty, "Hmm...still hiding." The stallion looked up and yelled, "Listen, I can make it quick and painless. I'll admit, I'm no fan of alicorns, but...I can make an exception. I can promise your pain will be far less than your friends, which is not a bad deal. All you have to do is surrender. If not, I'll be forced to-"

His words suddenly came to a stop as he heard the sound of moving wood, making him turn to see a whole pile of crates fall on top of him. His horn tried to spark, only for the wood to smash into his head, covering him in a pile of boxes.

Soul quickly zipped out of the room at this, an explosion reaching her ears just as she left the building. Behind her stood Shadow, his form walking out of a pillar of cinders. "Well played. But I don't fall for the same trick twice." He then teleported out of the warehouse, now seeing Soul fly over a nearby rooftop. The sight made a big grin reappear on his face, "You will be mine."


Meanwhile yet again...

"Crystal Wave!" A barrage of crystal spikes shot out the ground, Salix unleashing a stream of fire to draw a line of melted earth, blocking the crystals. He then rocketed over the attack, Ruby tapping the ground in response as she summoned a crystal pillar under her hooves.

Seeing her go upward, Salix let out a roar before changing his trajectory toward her. But as he did this, her horn shined as she pointed it at the nirik. "Crystal...FORCE!" A tornado of crystals came flying at Salix, the nirik trying to turn as he dodged half of the shards, the rest striking his side.

"Grah!" he hissed as he felt the scratches, only to push his flames downward, pulsing him upward again. As he did this, Ruby slammed her hooves into the pillar, causing the round tower to break apart until it was a stack of round crystal disks. She then started throwing them at the nirik, causing him to fly away as her pillar continued to descend.

"Whoa!" he yelped as he flattened himself to dodge two disks that were both above and below him, sucking his gut in at the same time. And as he evaded three more disks, he let out a roar, "That's it!"

An explosion of fire consumed him as he suddenly charged right at Ruby, his body turning into a fiery meteor. Ruby pulled several disks out in response before forming a shield with them. Salix slammed into the barrier, pushing her back with considerable force as her horn sparked, grabbing the rest of the disks. The crystal then morphed into a slide behind her, the mare leaning back as Salix continued to push, knocking her down the slide while her horn shined again. A blast then shot out of the shield, smacking Salix in the face.

"GYAH!" He screeched as he knocked back, Ruby taking this moment to turn the shield into a spear. And as he landed on his hooves, he growled back at the mare, "Augh! How are you beating me?! I have fire! Fire's supposed to beat and burn everything!"

Ruby just spun the weapon in her hooves, "Fire is powerful, but against somepony with actual skill and technique, the weaknesses in your abilities are painfully obvious." Salix growled and took on an attack stance as she continued, "All you know is power, but power alone is nothing compared to true strategy."

Flames began to dance around his body as he then yelled, "I'll show you strategy!" He then morphed into a charging fireball, screaming as flames spread all around him.

"A frontal assault. How unexpected." Ruby deadpanned while spinning her spear, "Guess we gotta do this hard way."


"Arcana of the Sun!" Terror yelled as an intense light suddenly shined down on Trixie. The mare closed her eyes, summoning a shield to block the light. As she did this, Terror tried to teleport behind her while still being blinded by the moon card.

She fired a blast next, hitting Trixie's side before firing several more in all directions. As this happened, her vision started to return, only for the first thing to see was Trixie's hoof in her face. Feeling herself being knocked back a few feet next, she put her hoof into her cape, "I'm not done yet!" She screeched as she threw another card, a dome covering both.

And as they both looked up to see the card was the Magician…which stopped upside down. "No!" Terror yelped as the dome shrunk down on Trixie. As the power-up began to happen, Terror quickly pulled out another Magician card, "This'll either turn out very good, or very bad."

She then threw the card, only to see a magic beam coming for her. Teleporting away, she dodged the blast, only for it to hit the building now behind her, the explosion pushing her flying forward. And as she flew, the Magician stopped right side up, sending its power to Terror.

Seeing this, Trixie fired another powered up blast at Terror, but the mare formed a shield, deflecting the blow. Seeing this, the two mares then used their levitation magic on themselves, both taking to the skies as they started firing blasts at each other. The two danced in the air, destroying the building around them as they continued to shoot beams of magic at each other. Rocks and rubble went flying with them, the explosions sending them upward before hitting both as they kept trying to stay airborne.

It wasn't long till both stood still in mid-air, unable to move much before both fired a singular long stream of magic. The two spells clashed, soon creating a blue and silver orb of magic that grew to the size of a standard pony. And as the bubble continued to grow, it started to twitch before-

Boom!

The orb exploded, the shockwaves smacking both into the street. Two loud thuds rang out as they landed, both rolling across the ground. Groans began to come out of their mouths as she they both began to get up, Trixie rubbing her head while Terror reached into her cape and pulled out a card. 'The Priestess. With this, I'll be able to heal my wounds. But if it's reversed, it'll heal her wounds. Do I risk it?' She was pulled from her thoughts as Trixie fired another beam, the mare ducking as the blast then hit her cloak.

Before she could react, she threw the card up. As she did this, both she and Trixie began charging up their magic. The two seemed to have the same idea, wanting to end this with one final blast. And as the dome went up around them, they fired their spells, the beams meeting below the spinning card. They both grunted as they pushed as much magic as possible into their attack, forming an orb. But as it did this, it grew even more, getting bigger as the card came to a stop and-

KABOOM!

Another explosion hit the area, a wave of magic hitting both back as the effect of the Priestess card began. A shining light began to float down to one mare as both flying into separate walls. Groans of pain continued to ring out, Terror getting up first as she peeled herself from a wall.

But as she did this, she looked up to see a shining Trixie, her wounds healing as Terror let out a sigh. The mare slumped over, her body starting to turn to dust as she growled, "You win. I guess...I have to admit how strong you truly are. Don't forget that, no matter what anypony tells you."

And as those words left Terror's mouth, she vanished. Trixie let out a long sigh, her body slumping to the ground. "Ugh...still hurts. But I gotta...keep moving." She rolled over next, now staring at the sky as she began to succumb to her own exhaustion, "Soul...Ruby...please be strong."


Soul's body was running on fumes. She kept beating her wings as fast as they would go, but every flap was harder than the last. But as she did this, her body started to give out, soon falling face first into the dirt. "Augh!" She yelped as she slid on the ground, moaning next as she picked herself up.

She looked back after this, not seeing Shadow behind her as she sighed in relief. Staggering over to the most nearby wall, she continued to pant, "Why? Why do I have to do this?" she whispered as she rubbed against the wall, only to find a door. Before she could react, she slumped over on the frame, causing it fall along with her, both hitting the floor. "Eep!"

Grumbling at the sudden fall, she got back up and let out a huff. Her body was trying to tell her to rest, but her hooves kept moving as she moaned, "I gotta...keep...huh?" she then saw something in the corner of her eye, making her turn to see an orb inside the building. "Yes!"

She didn't waste a second as she spread her wings, leaping at the sphere next. But as she got within inches of it, her entire body froze up.

"What?!" She yelped, only to feel something pull her back. The filly looked down, gasping as she saw a black chain now wrapping her backhoof. This was followed by a deep laugh, making her heart stop as she now saw Shadow standing outside the building.

"Finally got you." he commented as another chain appeared, gripping her other backhoof as it pulled her away from the orb. The filly began scraping her hooves along the ground, her body slowly being yanked out of the building.

"No! Help! AAAAAHHHHH!" She screamed before a magic aura turned her over, her mouth stopping as her eyes locked with Shadow's deranged blood-red orbs.

"Now you're all mine."


"SOUL!" Heart's scream echoed through the castle as he watched his sister fall into Shadow's clutches, "Let her go, you bully!"

"He can't hear you," Springer told him before the colt growled at him.

"But we have to do something!"

"You're right, and we will," Flash replied as he hopped out of his chair and walked over to the balcony, opening the doors.

"Flash...what are you planning?" Cold asked as Flash held up his Celestic Gear, the sword glowing before unleashing a Flash Cutter. The attack struck the barrier, exploding despite not making a bit of damage.

"That's what I'm planning," Flash responded as he turned back to his friends, "You just gonna stand there and watch that happen to a filly, or are you gonna put a stop to this stupid game once and for all?!" The four exchanged glances, only to nod as they all got up before walking over to the balcony. In unison, Cold started shooting icicles at it while Springer threw an Aura Blast and Soarin tackled the barrier. "Hold on Soul!" Flash yelled as he started slashing at the barrier as well.

And as they did this, Heart simply watched the screen, his body shivering at the sight of his sister's dilemma.


"Let me go! Please!" Soul screamed as more chains wrapped around her body, "You can have the orb! Just please let me go!"

"Oh, I know I can have the orb. I deserve it, unlike these other vermin. But...that orb is nothing compared to what I really want." He pulled her up to him, leaning in next as he whispered into her ear, "What I really want...is you."

Her eyes shrunk at these words, mouth shaking as she asked, "W-w-what are you g-g-gonna d-d-do with m-m-me?"

"The same thing I do to every pony I meet that has a magic I'm interested in. Take it!" With that, Shadow opened his mouth before breathing in. As he did this, Soul suddenly felt a force shake her body, as if it was being ripped in half as she started to scream. And as this happened, a golden liquid-like light began to seep out of her horn towards Shadow's mouth.

Her screams echoed through the city, hitting everypony's ears.

"SOUL!" Ruby yelled as she heard it, turning to the voice as Salix rocketed in front of her.

"I don't think so."

"Get out of my way!" Ruby roared as she unleashed a barrage of arrows, Salix ducking under the attack before slamming his hooves down, creating a massive wall of fire around them both.

"Sorry. Can't let you go until master's done."

"Done what?"

"I dunno," he shrugged. "Whatever it is he's doing. If he's doing what I think he's doing, then your friend's a goner, even with this game's rules."

And as this statement hit Ruby's ears, she summoned a giant crystal hammer, "Then get out of my way!"

But as she tried to fight Salix off, Trixie had also heard the filly's screams. The mare tried to pick herself up, but her legs gave out, making her slump over. "Come on..." she groaned as she tried to pick herself up again, "MOVE!" But her legs buckled again, making her fall over, "Darn it! Stupid body!" her horn began to gather some magic as well, only to sputter out, "No. Soul...I'm so sorry."


Back in the castle...

Flash had stopped his assault on the barrier as he heard Soul's cries, making him look back to see the filly screaming in pain. And while her expression made his heart burn in rage, it was what Shadow was doing that made him come to a complete stop.

"That's..." Flash gasped, unable to finish his own sentence.

Cold stopped his onslaught next as he also looked at the screen, then turning to Flash, "You recognize the magic he's using?" Flash didn't respond, "Flash!"

"Tirek..." was all Flash could say, Soarin and Springer glancing at the screen before memories flashed into their minds.

"No way."

"How?!" Springer yelped, only for Flash to turn back to the barrier, firing a Flash Force now. Seeing this, the others did the same, not talking as they kept hitting the barrier. But as they did this, the attacks suddenly rebounded, knocking them all back.

"Blaugh!" yelped Soarin as the barrier smacked them into the room's opposite wall, "Ow...I don't think they want us doing that."

But as these words left his mouth, another scream from Soul hit all their ears.

"I don't care! We have to break out of here now!" Flash yelled as he pushed himself back up, his blade shining before turning to his friends, "Get up! We have to do something!"

The others nodded back, all getting up as they began to ignore the pain from the barrier's power. And as this happened, Heart just watched helplessly, tears threatening to break free of her eyes, "Soul..."


Soul continued to scream as she felt her alicorn magic being pulled out of her. But as this happened, she found she could feel pain, both her and Shadow not feeling any magic being moved. Shadow started growling at this, only to move his mouth away and spat out a glob of spit. "Grrr....stop resisting! You're only prolonging your pain!"

Soul stopped screaming, tears pouring down her face as she whimpered, "Why?! Why are you doing this?!"

Shadow chuckled as her question, leaning up to her face as he replied, "You really have to ask? Alicorn magic is a goldmine of power. I have trained myself for years to get to their level, as I always thought it would take me that long to get that strong to take their magic. But with a weakling like you, it'll be like taking candy from a foal. And with it, I'll be able to win this game in the blink of an eye!" A giant grin began to grow on his face as he said, "Your friends will stand no chance! I will destroy them all!"

With that, he opened his mouth, the filly screaming as the draining began again. She could feel her magic now trickling out as she screamed. And as this happened, she could hear Shadow start to whisper, "Let it go. Let it go and it'll all be over. Let go...let go...let go."

Those two words began to echo in her head, the pain surging through her body now making her numb. Her screams still rang out, but the life within her yells began to slowly go out. As this happened, her friends were all trying to get to her, Trixie dragging herself along the ground while Ruby kept fighting Salix up close and personal, no longer caring about the flames striking her body. At the same time, Flash, Springer, Soarin and Cold continued their attack on the barrier while Heart just stared at the screen, tears pouring down his face as he simply cried at how unless he was.

"Soul..." he whimpered while shutting his eyes and staring at the ground. "I'm sorry."

"Enough!" Flash yelled as they staggered back again, only to point his blade at the barrier again, "This time we do it together. Aim for one spot." They nodded back as the sword began to glow, "On my mark...Flash Force!"

"Cold Force!"

"Aura Force!" The three attacks hit the barrier in the exact same spot, Soarin then slamming into the area next to it. But as they did this, a rebound of force slammed into them, all four flying across the room from the blow.

At the same time...

"Out of my way!" Ruby roared as she jumped through a third wall of flames, smacking Salix with a crystal hammer at the same time.

"Not happening!" Salix barked back as he countered with a stream of fire, the flames pouring out of his mouth.

The knight was knocked back as she guarded with just the hammer, her horn sparking as she then yelled, "Fine! Crystal FORCE!" A gem laced tornado shot out of her horn, Salix breathing in before firing another blast of flames.

And as this happened, Soul's eyes began to drift to the back of her head, her consciousness fully fading. But as she felt the magic now leaving her, two words echoed through her mind. "Let go. Let go. Let...go."

"Let go."

Soul's mind suddenly rattled at that last one, a new voice now saying those two words. Her eyes began to go back down, the voice continuing to talk, "Let go Soul. The time has come. Let go of your fear. Let your magic flow."

As she heard this, her mind replied, 'I...I can't. I'm scared...so scared.'

"It's okay Soul. You can let go now." the voice replied, a soothing calmness coming from its tone.

And as these words entered the filly, her ears spiked as everypony she knew let out a single yell at the top of their voices.

"SOUL!"

This mighty cry echoed throughout the city, instantly hitting Soul's ears. Her mind suddenly flashed to every scene across the city, now seeing Trixie struggle across the ground, a burning Ruby punching Salix, and Flash with the others trying to destroy the barrier. Pain, determination, rage...they were all there on her friends faces, all pushing themselves to save her.

"My friends," she whispered to herself, a spark suddenly zapping into her mind as the tears stopped flowing down her face.

"Let go Soul. Let your power flow."

And as the voice said these words again, Soul listened. Her body relaxed, the chains around her form slightly loosening. As this happened, Shadow felt a sudden magical block within the filly vanish. "Finally!" he yelled as he pulled his neck back, magic now surging out of the filly. But as he did this, Soul's head shifted to look right in his eyes, only for an explosion of light to shine off her body. "What the-gyah!"

The light instantly destroyed the chains, turning them to ash as Shadow suddenly felt his body being pushed back. His teeth gritted as he glared back at her, his horn flaring as he roared, "Accursed alicorn! What are you doing?!"

She didn't reply, her horn instead responding as she fired a beam of light at the unicorn. He quickly summoned a wall of black chains in response, the light melting them in a split second. Shadow clapped his hooves next, a dark aura covering his body as he turned to smoke, shrinking down to the ground to dodge the attack.

As this happened, another beam of light shined out of her horn, forming a pillar that all the city could see as it struck through the roof of the building. The light caught everypony's attention, Flash and the others stopping their attack on the barrier while Ruby and Salix ceased their fight. Trixie forced her eyes open as she saw the light, the others now seeing Soul flare her wings while her eyes began to glow.

"Too little, too late little filly. Your power will be mine!" Shadow growled as his horn was now consumed in a thick black aura, the ground around him decaying as he glared at Soul. Several dark portals appeared behind him next, an army of chains flying out of them as he roared, "Become mine alicorn!"

But as the chains swooped around the filly, covering every direction...they suddenly became still. "WHAT?!" Shadow screeched, only to see Soul turn to him. In the blink of an eye, a powerful wave of energy shot out of her horn, the attack flying in every direction across the city. Before he could react, the energy struck the unicorn, slamming him into and through a building fifty feet away.

And the wave didn't stop there. Trixie was the next one hit, only for it phase right through her. Her energy suddenly came back to her, injuries vanishing at the same time. It then hit Ruby and Salix, two different reactions occurring to them. Ruby remained still as she felt the wave wash over her, restoring the knight like a gentle breeze.

However, Salix tried to run away while yelling, "Oh, come on! Not again!" But as he did this, the attack smacked his back, blasting him through two buildings as he screamed in pain. "AUGH!"


The light around Soul had now began to die down, a golden aura still around her as her eyes continued to glow. She barely had time to process as her body suddenly froze up, a million words and images appearing in her mind in seconds. To most, it would just be just noise, but Soul was able to distinguish it perfectly.

"I understand..." She whispered before turning back to the building with the orb. Her horn shined as two flashes of light appeared down the street, Ruby and Trixie being summoned to that spot.

"What the-" Ruby tried to saw as they saw each other, both then asking, "Where's Soul?"

BOOM!

The sudden explosion made both turn to see Shadow ascend from a now destroyed building, two houses to his sides now melting at the same time. His eyes were blood red in rage, the knight and magician getting into fighting stance as he roared, "Where is she?! Where is that brat!?!" Both mares didn't reply, making him slam his hooves down, the ground shaking as he screeched, "ANSWER ME!"

And as he asked this, a bright light suddenly exploded behind Ruby and Trixie, both turning around to see a filly fly out of a building with a orb in her hooves.

"NOOOO!" Shadow yelled as he teleported right in front of her, summoning his decaying blade in hoof as he swung it down. "DIE!"

The tip of the blade began its downward path, about to touch the filly's horn with the decay magic on it. But as it tried to reach her, the two locked eyes, the filly's still glowing before Shadow suddenly exploded into dust. Not a sound was made in that moment, the blade vanishing along with its master.

As for Ruby and Trixie, they just stared at her in shock as Soul landed with the orb. The knight's lips shivered as she then whispered, "Soul?"

But as these words left her mouth, the orb unleashed a bright light, consuming both. In the blink of an eye, both were back in the map room. The two flopped onto the floor, both looking up to see Flash, Springer, Soarin, Cold and Heart staring at them in shock before glancing over to see the orb now beside the other three. Then Heart spoke up, saying something that made everypony's hearts stop.

"Where's Soul?" he said as everypony saw that the filly was nowhere in sight. "WHERE'S SOUL?!"


Deep below within a long dark chamber, Soul was now curled up inside a crystal sphere. A slight snore escaped her breath as she laid there, her body now completely still as the orb kept her still and safe.

Author's Note:

Well...that happened. What do you think?