• Published 7th Jan 2020
  • 803 Views, 14 Comments

Ways to Say "I Love You" - Frost Flower



Throughout the course of their relationship, Rarity and Twilight realize there's more than one way to say "I love you".

  • ...
7
 14
 803

#16 - Over and over again, till it’s nothing but a senseless babble


To be completely fair, no pony expected a fairly diplomatic and peaceful international meeting to be interrupted by least three dozen different types of magical attacks. Furthermore, no pony really expected Her Majesty, Ruler of Equestria, Twilight Sparkle to teleport herself in front of the visiting Saddle Arabian royals and take in their place an attack that would have killed any normal pony three times over.

And finally, no pony expected her to not only not die, but to be strong enough to retaliate and subdue the attackers before passing out.

No pony expected a great deal of things, it seemed, but the pony who really hadn’t expected any of this was Twilight herself; mostly because, as she lay in her hospital bed, hooked up to all kinds of different medical devices, she couldn’t remember any of it.

All she remembered was having breakfast with her wife--who was sitting by the corner, looking very very somber--and then waking up at the hospital to Rainbow Dash telling her that yes, Twilight, for the fiftieth time, Saddle Arabia isn’t declaring war against us for this.

“So,” she said, “Just to get things straight. We got attacked by the magic nomadic Arimaspi tribe, they tried to kill the Saddle Arabian prince and princess, I jumped in the way, and almost got killed, and then I—”

“Kicked their butt!” exclaimed the Wonderbolts Captain. “It was aaaaawesome!”

“Awesome?!” Rarity snapped, her first words in a while. “For star’s sake, Twilight nearly died, Rainbow!”

“Yeah, but she didn’t!” Rainbow insisted.

“She’s right, though. I didn’t,” Twilight added, and at her wife’s murderous glare, she decided to move along before that killed her instead. “Right! Not important. Moving on!” She cleared her throat. “Rainbow, can you please find Spike and have him come see me in about ten minutes?”

“Sure thing!”

A heavy silence filled the room, oppressive and sickening, the poor ruler forlornly watching as her wife quietly got up to frown at her charts. She stared at them for a minute, put them back down, and then returned to her spot in the corner.

“So,” Twilight said, deciding it would be better to just get it over with. “You’re angry at me.”

There was a pause, and Rarity pointedly did not look at her.

“So that’s a yes.”

“No,” Rarity quickly replied, though she still failed to look at her. “It’s not a yes.”

“But it’s not a ‘no’, either,” Twilight finished, and Rarity’s facade cracked. With a sigh, she tried to sit back up. “So, wha—Agh!”

A sharp pang interrupted her sentence, and before she’d even doubled over in pain, Rarity was already at her side, steadying her. It took her a moment--mostly of her feeling like she wanted to die--before the pain went away, but eventually she was lying back down again, feeling helpless and forlorn and regretful in front of her tearful, scared, and potentially-maybe-perhaps still angered wife.

“Everything turned out fine, Rarity. Mostly,” she said, not wanting to sound like a broken record, but it was true.

“You nearly died, Twilight,” Rarity didn’t hiss, but almost. Again, tears wet her eyes, and the next she hissed, not at Twilight really, but at the situation itself. “In my arms, Twilight Sparkle. Bleeding in my sun-forsaken arms.”

Twilight swallowed, horrified at the image, not having known that detail until then. Unfortunately for her, it was when she was nervous and upset that the sovereign ruler lost some of her intelligence as she tried nervously grinned and said,

“Well! That would have been a dramatic death for one of your novels, huh?” she said, and at Rarity’s expression, she quickly remembered humor and comedy were not her forté. “Wa-Wait, sorry! Wait. I didn’t mean that.”

“I damn well hope not, your highness.”

So, Twilight turned to logic and rationale and facts which is what she knew.

“Rarity,” she said with careful conviction, “I’m sorry. I’m sorry I… I’m sorry that had to happen, but you need to understand that I couldn’t let the king and queen of Saddle Arabia die. I had to step in. Please understand.”

Another silence filled the room, and Twilight remained confronted with Rarity’s hard stare until the latter softened.

“I know,” Rarity whispered, and as more tears spilled anew, she turned away, going into a ramble. “I know, Twilight! I know! I know you had to do that! Of course you can’t let them die! And I shouldn’t be mad about it, but you nearly died, and you—!” She cut herself off and steadied herself before turning back to Twilight. “I… I suppose I hadn’t realized this is something I’d signed up to, as well.”

“I… I’m sorry,” Twilight said, unsure of what else to do. “I don’t know what to say to make you feel better or fix this.”

“Well,” Rarity said carefully, “I suppose I could spare myself going through this again by separating, but admittedly, I’d have to wait a few months as I imagine the optics of doing it now would be frightful.”

Twilight froze, panicked. “Separate?” she blurted out, nearly sitting up again if her body hadn’t protested. “Wa… Wait, Rarity, wait! But—! I mean—!” she blabbered, her mind crashing to a halt when suddenly Rarity smiled.

“That was a joke, dear.”

“A joke?” Twilight gasped, horrified and upset. “Well, it wasn’t a funny one!”

Rarity shrugged. “Well, darling,” she said, lifting a hoof and brushing Twilight’s hair off her face, “I rather think it’s fair that I’m allowed to nearly give you a heart attack after you actually gave me one.”

And to that, Twilight couldn’t help a relieved laugh.

“I guess that’s fair,” she conceded, and then, relieved to be alive, and safe, and to still have her wife, she said sincerely, “I am sorry, Rarity.”

“Are you?” Rarity said. “And, pray tell, why should I forgive you?”

Twilight hummed. “Well! Beyond what I said about having to do it so we don’t go to war with Saddle Arabia, I also can’t remember any of it, so until I unsuppress those memories at three in the morning in a month, my emotional trauma should be minor, but more importantly—” She donned her wife's trademark smile. “Because you love me?”

Rarity laughed, wiping away tears.

“You do realize you can’t use that as an apology for everything, don’t you?”

“But it’s true, though.”

Though she sighed theatrically, eventually Rarity agreed.

“Yes, Twilight, I love you,” she said affectionately, and yet as soon as she’d done so, she teared up anew. “Stars, Twilight, I do love you.” And then, ignoring Twilight’s pained yelp, she threw herself on her wife, practically sobbing as she held her close. “I love you. I love you. I love you.”

She repeated the three words, over and over and over, until they meshed together and became almost nonsense. But this was fine for Twilight. She was more than happy to hold her and listen, knowing that though unfortunately this probably wouldn’t be the last time she’d nearly die trying to save someone, she had least had Rarity to be there with her through it all.


Author's Note:

Partially based of my own near death experience where I drowned after my house flooded, and woke up in the hospital with no goddamn memory of anything, just me at my computer then me at the hospital. Everyone was like "YOU ALMOST DIED!!!" and I was sitting there all "man, really? That kinda sucks! Good thing I don't remember LOL"

anyway i'll probably add more because people sent me a bunch of prompts on tumblr and i told them i’d do them so be excited for that???

Comments ( 12 )

Every one of these if such a savory little bit of variety. Thank you very much for them.

10023219
glad you liked them!! I’m going to try to write more soon

10023224
I look forward to them. :)

Still good rereading these.

I know I've been a joke type in replies, but genuinely these are sweet.

There... I'm not completely dead inside see!

10023268
i’m glad you liked them!

Oh my gosh these are wonderful. I find myself reading with a stupid smile tugging at my lips, flashing memories of some of the most special moments of my life ... I love yous of their own.

("Gosh, you're such a sap, Filly.")

Thank you for writing these; the world needs more adorkable purple girlfriends and I find myself grinning whenever best horses find themselves swooning over the magic words.

ON MY OWN LIFE ADVENTURES, FROM OLD CHAT LOGS:

This isn't romance its a silly ship.
This isn't a mono, it's a frost flower.
But [horseapples] if today wasn't the most fun I've had in ages

Oh my gosh it's incompleeeeet! Tracking intensifies! Aaaaaa! Frost Flower you are one-of-a-kind and thank you for existing and I swear I'm NOT just saying that because our usernames share initials :V

....I may have to go tell a certain.. ahem, Equestria Girl.... a certain set of three words.

:heart::raritywink::twilightsmile::heart:

>other ways to say "I love you"
Inb4 "As you wish."

You know its love when she's screeching at you about the ice cube tray and calling you a yutz

Chapter 1: 170 words
Chapter 2: 510 words
Chapter 3: 1187 words
Chapter 4: yes please!

Me reading these made me smile and feel really sappy.
This also gave me a really big burst of inspiration that I stopped reading in the middle of the chapter to write a poem lol

Login or register to comment