• Published 6th Jan 2020
  • 4,137 Views, 296 Comments

human of the everfree - Aljazig



Sure my life wasn't perfect, but it was good enough for me, so why the actual f*** am I in a body of a little girl running from sentient ponies?! Answer? Magic.

  • ...
33
 296
 4,137

Chapter 17: A dryad's hate

Author's Note:

Exposition dump!

I'm thinking of shutting this story down, since I only manage to update it rarely and I feel nobody enjoys long waits. Plus I feel like I'm making the character too, how to say this, generic? Shallow? In any case, I'm still only thinking about it.
For now, enjoy this chapter.

"I want you."

As soon as the dryad said those words I tried to lunge at her, seeing fighting as my only option. Emphasis on tried, as I didn't make it even a step, before vines and roots curled around my legs, making me trip and then pinned me to the ground.

"Now, now, there's no need for violence, although it probably would have helped if I didn't word things weirdly." The dryad said at first with a smile of amusement and then a contemplative gaze.

She continued, her eyes once more focusing on me: "Well, no matter. You are here now and I will only allow you to live under one condition."

I was afraid of what was coming, but just to be sure I asked: "And what might that condition be?"

She smiled brightly, like I had made her day and with a happy go lucky attitude answered: "Why, to show those damn ponies that nature is not to be fucked with, of course."

It took me a while to comprehend what she had just said and after I sorted through the information, I couldn't help but yell at her: "Well, couldn't you have just said that in the first place!? I would have easily agreed and that would be it!"

She looked at me in surprise and then just started laughing.

"Well, of course I could have, silly, but where would be the fun in that? I found this way much more amusing." Somehow her laughter was still echoing through the forest as she spoke. This being was powerful enough to make an entire forest echo on a whim. And it terrified me, so I decided that it would be a good idea to shut up and just let her speak.

"Anyhow, now that I know that you are on board, I first have to tell you my story." And tell me she did. The story itself wasn't long, what was long was how she cursed the ponies in more and more innovative ways, every time she could.
It went something like this, without the unnecessary stops to curse of course:

The dryad was born when the forest consisted of only about 30 trees. She didn't yet understand her existence but other dryads from other forests helped her. She learnt a lot from them, how to talk, attract animals to her forest and prevent tree diseases from spreading. It was a wonderful time, when the dryads could walk outside their forests by spreading the roots of their trees along a set path.

And then, a few millennia later, the ponies came. With them they brought a horrible winter, that killed a lot of animals and even more trees, that weren't prepared for the sudden snow and thus broke under the weight. And all the dryad could do was watch as her forest slowly started dying, the frozen ground preventing the growth of any plants. All sources of water froze over and thus the number of animals plummeted. The trees that didn't die from the initial snow were frozen under a deep layer of ice and some of the animals that had burrowed under the ground for shelter were now starving to death as they couldn't get through the frozen soil and the mass of snow on top. For 4 days the forest was in disarray and on the fifth day, the dryad wept. The whole forest was completely silent as their protector cried and wailed, unable to do anything to save what she spent thousands of years creating.

But then, when almost all hope was lost, the sun's rays tore through the thick clouds and started melting the snow. The dryad was overjoyed and helped thaw the snow with her magic, something that had previously failed. With the dryads magic it took no more than a day to melt all of the snow in the forest allowing the animals to drink again and a day after that she used her magic to speed up the growth of the plants, so the next day the animals could eat. In a week the damage, while still visible, was mostly nullified. The dryad was happy to see her forest prospering again and was thankful to whomever it was, that stopped the sudden winter.

After a few months she got bored of just overseeing her forest day and night and started making a root path to get to one of her friends. But the roots would stop at one point and no matter how much she asked them, they wouldn't move. When she asked the trees they told her, that the magic there is forbidding them from going through. The dryad was reasonably confused, as there shouldn't be anything between hers and her friend's forest. So she went to see, what was preventing her from making a root path. And what she found made her even more confused.

Multiple houses stood there, right in the middle of the clearing between their forests. And a bit away form the houses stood multiple apple trees in neat rows. She tried asking them if they could extend their roots to her, but they ignored her, so she had to leave. Back in her forest she made a pond and cast a spell that would allow her to see anywhere she had already been. Looking through her friends forest it was in a similar condition to her forest and she could see her friend helping animals and talking to trees. Everything was fine.

And in that way a hundred years passed. The houses evolved into a proper village and the amount of apple trees increased exponentially. The dryads forest too had gotten bigger, but was still smaller than most of the others. She tried to get to other forests too, but every time the roots tried going more than 100 meters out of the forest they would stop and wouldn't go forward even if there was no village in the way. It baffled the dryad, but she was patient. Sooner or latter things would return to how they always were.

Then her forest got visitors. A pair of ponies, bigger than what she had seen before, entered the dryads forest and started to look around. When they came to her favorite lunging spot, with a ravine on one side and a river on the other they stopped and used their wings to fly down into the ravine and into the cave the dryad had made for one of her boredom projects. How they knew it was even there she didn't know, but what they did there scared her. They took the fruits of a tree she made, that would allow her, to store power and then pull on it when she needed to. The idea came to her soon after the surprise winter. The problem was that the stored power was in the fruits and since the two ponies just took them, she wouldn't be able to draw on their power.

And that is when things started going wrong. The first thing that happened was, that black pellet like seeds rained down from the sky all around her forest and she had to use a considerable amount of magic to prevent them from sprouting right away, like some kind of parasite. Then, because she used so much magic she wasn't able to prevent the two bigger ponies from building a castle on her favorite spot. After them came other ponies and suddenly there was a town in her forest and she couldn't do anything about it, as she had to keep using a lot of magic to stop the black seeds.

Then years later the two ponies fought and the white one banished the black one to the moon. That gave the dryad the opportunity to take back some of the energy from the fruits of her tree, with which she then tried to destroy the town and castle in her forest, since at that point she had enough of them. She created wooden wolves and dangerous, but beautiful flowers, that would harass the ponies. The now lone bigger pony and the other normal sized ones escaped from the forest, but left the fruits there. But the fruits were locked in some kind of shell that the dryad didn't have the energy to break.

And so passed 1000 years in which the dryad had to use up more and more energy to prevent the black seeds from sprouting. She almost didn't notice when the black bigger pony came back, the only reason she did, was because she got a temporary magic boost when her fruits were used. then another two years went by and she lost control. The black seeds sprouted and took over her forest and there was nothing she could do. Then the ponies came again and returned the fruits to the tree. With the boost in power she destroyed the black seeds, but some of the power of her fruits had rubbed of on the ponies since they were able to use the same connection to them as her. She has been trying to remove the connection, but has been unsuccessful.

Anyway, as soon as she could she checked on her friends and what she found is the main reason for her hate of the ponies. Apparently the ponies lacked a resource called wood and decided to use the many forests around as sources of said resource. After a few hundred years of doing so most of the dryads couldn't handle the stress of parts of their forest being slowly cut of and decided to fuse with the tree, that they had been born from, effectively abandoning the forest to the ponies and killing themselves.

The dryad was enraged, but couldn't do anything. So she waited for her opportunity.

It was a sad story, that made me hate the ponies even more. I understood it was unreasonable to hate the ponies for cutting down trees that they needed, but it certainly wasn't unreasonable to hate them for meddling in things they obviously didn't understand, like those fruits. Even worse was the fact that a lot of the animals from the dryads forest had been influenced by the ponies magic, while she was occupied, and can't live by themselves.

I was positively fuming. I wanted to punch someone so badly, but I was still pinned to the ground. The dryad smiled at me, like she had been doing the whole time while telling me her story.

"Now then, dear, I have a question for you." She said.

I looked at her, still trying to calm myself down, and asked: "What?!"

"Are you willing to learn from me, and exact my revenge on the ponies? I can help you get your magic under better control. I can teach you other kinds of magic, with my help you could bring the sun down if you wanted! So, what do you say?"

It was a temping offer. She would be able to tell me a lot of things that Zero couldn't. Yet I wasn't sure if I was prepared to trust something powerful enough to promise me what she did. Then again, our goals were pretty close together, I just had an additional one, that I could do after I exacted our revenge.

"Well, it's a tempting offer, I'm going to have to say -"