• Published 6th Jan 2020
  • 6,127 Views, 545 Comments

The Ending of the End - Love and Tolerance Edition - StarlightisVERYcute



Equestria faces its most dire threat yet as Grogar and his legions march upon Canterlot. Meanwhile, Cozy Glow, Chrysalis, and Tirek prepare to betray him and seize power themselves. Can the Mane 6 save Equestria?

  • ...
12
 545
 6,127

Chapter VIII

Sometimes something truly unexpected happened, and even a mastermind was caught off-guard and unsure how to respond. Such a situation hit Twilight Sparkle now. What she did was something she had never expected to do again:

Wake up.

After her fellow clones had taken actions that resulted in the Tree of Harmony attacking them with its energy tentacles, Twilight had thought that was the end. She was caught in inhibiting tendrils that made it impossible for her to teleport, and her magic was being drained so quickly she couldn’t try to fight back. As her body had been reduced to its base components, she had tried to find a way to escape and survive, but to no avail. Twilight had had to face the horrifying reality that less than a day after her birth, she was facing the finality of nonexistence. Then the world had gone rainbow-colored.

But now, she was in a dark, wet cave with a pegasus filly staring at her. “Golly, are you alright?” the filly asked.

“I’m better than I was,” Twilight answered flatly. “Where am I? What’s going on?”

“I decided to bring you back,” spoke a voice Twilight remembered so well. Twilight reflexively dropped to the floor and whirled around. She charged up a spell powerful enough to vaporize her target, but the filly dove in the way. Twilight was smart enough to recognize that a civilian with useful information was valuable. She decided not to fire, but she didn’t deactivate her horn either.

“Hey, wait!” the filly implored. “At least let us talk about this!”

“That does seem fair,” a male centaur added. “Considering we just brought you back from oblivion.”

Twilight considered their statements. They certainly seemed believable, and fighting a creature with unknown capabilities seemed ill-advised. “Very well,” she said. “Make your case.”

“We brought you back because Chrysalis told us how powerful you were. She wanted your help in fighting someone.” The pegasus filly gave a warm smile. “From what she said, you must be really dangerous and smart!”

“I see,” Twilight said. She turned towards the centaur. “And you?”

“If Chrysalis thought you were smart enough to warrant reanimation, that was enough of a reason for me,” he answered.

Twilight nodded. “Understood. What are your names?”

“Oh, silly me! I’m Cozy Glow,” Cozy said. “I’m the team’s, hmm. Oh! Moral support!”

“She’s also as our expert on manipulation and subversion,” Chrysalis added. “And as of a few minutes ago, scouting and communication.”

“I am Lord Tirek,” Tirek said. “I’m our artillery. When I eat magic, I become more powerful.”

“I suggest you don’t eat mine,” Twilight softly warned, her voice sharpened like a blade wrapped in tall grass.

Tirek rolled his eyes. “I wouldn’t do that! We’re teammates.”

Twilight processed his words. Believable but unconfirmed. “What was the incident that prompted recreating me?” she asked.

“A mythological archmage and creator of monsters known as Grogar has returned, and is laying waste to Equestria.” Tirek looked over the bell. “This is his, though he doesn’t know we have it. Speaking of—Chrysalis, it appears that that spell drained it. I estimate it’ll be several hours before it’s functional again.”

“And?” Twilight prodded. “Why is it of interest to me what someone else is doing to Equestria?”

“Don’t you want to rule Equestria too?” Cozy asked innocently.

“Not particularly. I want the power of the Elements of Harmony, but rulership has never been to my liking.” Twilight flicked her tail.

“So you want access to the great libraries of Canterlot and the Crystal Empire?” Tirek asked. “To be able to read all their grimoires?”

“I didn’t know those existed,” Twilight admitted, “but yes, I want access to all books on magic I can.”

“Then I have some bad news for you,” Tirek said with a grim but empathetic frown. “The Elements of Harmony were destroyed weeks ago. And Grogar destroyed Canterlot, most likely completely obliterating their library. And we’re pretty sure he wants to do the same elsewhere.”

Twilight’s eyes flashed with fury. “So. You mean to say. He destroyed books?

“Yes. Hundreds of thousands,” he confirmed. “Probably at least ten thousand books on magic.”

“Alright, I’ll join your little conspiracy, on two conditions.” Twilight scanned the three faces. “One: I am your equal, not your servant. Two: Once the bell is recharged, we resurrect the other five clones.”

“Of course!” Cozy agreed with a big smile.

“Fine by me,” Tirek added.

“Alright,” Chrysalis finished. “In return, I want you to stop trying to destroy me.”

“Deal,” Twilight said coolly. “Anything else?”

“Yes,” Tirek said. “We three have already decided to make an alliance of convenience with the original Elements of Harmony. You’ll be fighting alongside your source material. Is that acceptable?”

“Why wouldn’t it be?” Twilight asked, using the tone she’d use if he’d just asked her if it was okay to eat grass. “I don’t care.”

Tirek nodded, cracking his knuckles. “Good.”

“Wait,” Cozy asked, her voice in that grey area between suspicion and confusion. “You said you can’t create true alicorns. Then… what’s she?”

“A simulacrum of one,” Chrysalis answered. “She’s not a true alicorn. She can fly and use magic, but she lacks the incredible tolerance for magical surges, or the fundamental connection to cosmic principles.”

Cozy shrugged. “Alright. That isn’t enough to make it worth giving up my innocent pegasus appearance. I don’t want to be obviously supernatural.”

“Anything else?” the better Twilight Sparkle asked. Her voice carried a distinct note of annoyance and boredom. And why shouldn’t it? They’re talking about irrelevant hypotheticals that won’t become relevant until after Equestria is retaken or destroyed.

“Actually, there is one more thing,” Tirek said. “It’s going to get annoying to have to call you ‘the clone’ or ‘the dark Twilight.’ What should your name be?”

“My name?” Twilight asked.

“Yes. What would you like to call yourself?” He cracked his knuckles.

“Why not just Twilight?” she asked. “It seems to serve me well enough.”

“You’re going to be working with the baseline Twilight,” Cozy reminded her gently. “When we say ‘Twilight’, it’d be a real hassle to always have to specify which one, or to have both of you answer. So, why not pick a different one? Pick one that means something to you.”

“Something that describes you,” Chrysalis added.

“Hmm. I am Twilight Sparkle, but superior. Twilight without the bonds of attachment that make her such an easy target. Twilight without so many distractions from her research.” Twilight chuckled. “Twilight improved in every way.”

“Not to mention even more modest than she is,” Chrysalis muttered. Twilight glared disintegration spells at her.

“Pick a name that tells the world who you are—or what you want to tell them,” Tirek said encouragingly.

He’s trying to turn the discussion to less sensitive topics. Sensible and wise.

The idea came to her in a flash. For the first time since her resurrection, Twilight allowed herself a sincere smile.

“Golly, you sure do look happy,” Cozy commented cheerfully. “Did you think of a good idea for a name?”

“Midnight.”

“Hmm?” Cozy wondered aloud. “What’s that?”

“Midnight Sparkle. As Twilight heralds the transition from day to night, so does Midnight signify the absolute victory of night.” Midnight ignited her horn in readiness. “And I intend to achieve absolute victory over those who stand against me.”

“But not us, right? We’re on your team?” Cozy Glow asked uncertainly.

“Yes,” Midnight confirmed. “After that, I expect to never see any of you again. Should I be proven wrong, I’ll treat you with respect and sincerity, assuming you do the same.”

“Let’s get ready to go, then,” Tirek interrupted. “The sun’s going to set soon.”

And midnight approaches, Midnight finished silently.

Tirek stretched his powerful muscles. “Chrysalis, is your roc form still strong enough to carry me?”

“Yes,” Chrysalis answered smoothly. “Though I won’t be able to carry you if you get much bigger.”

“Hopefully you won’t have to carry me after this,” he joked with a half-smile.

“What are we going to do with Grogar’s bell?” Cozy asked.

“Leave it here,” Tirek answered. “I wouldn’t be surprised if Grogar can make use of it even when it’s out of power.”

Midnight Sparkle’s horn flickered with pale purple light, and she lifted the bell over to her hoof. “What are you doing?” Chrysalis asked, suspicion heavy in her voice.

“Be silent,” Midnight replied. Her voice was so frigid Chrysalis obeyed numbly. “I must focus.” She flicked the bell back and forth in her telekinetic grip. Chrysalis and Tirek watched skeptically and curiously, respectively, while Cozy just smiled sweetly.

“Mmm. I expect I could get this working again with the help of Twilight and Starlight Glimmer. But you’re right; it has an intrinsic bond to this Grogar. Bringing it near him would likely be catastrophic.” Midnight put the bell back on the table. “I would suggest teleporting it to some remote location to hide it from him, but given this place is already associated with his magic, if he senses a connection from here he’s likely to dismiss it as his prior association.”

“A good point, Midnight,” Tirek agreed. “Does anyone have something they want to do before we leave?”

“You could scout what Grogar is up to,” Chrysalis suggested to Cozy. “With an hour to plan and our combined brilliance, victory would be assured.”

“On the other hoof,” Cozy said with a contemplative twist of her lip, “if he spots me, he’ll know something is amiss and start investigating right away. We’d lose the surprise so necessary for a good backstab.”

“I have to agree with Cozy,” Tirek said. “As useful as it’d be to have advance knowledge of his plans, the potential risk is too high.”

Chrysalis nodded slowly. “When you put it like that, I agree.”

“If we’re all done, follow me outside,” Tirek said. One by one, Cozy, Chrysalis, and Midnight followed in his hoofsteps.

The rain was pitter-pattering gently down. Midnight examined it with curiosity. “What is going on here?” she asked.

Cozy stared at her. “It’s… ummm, raining, Midnight.”

Midnight looked at Cozy with a sort of passive interest. “Rain. Many objects falling at once, as in ‘a rain of magical bolts’. But why is it raining water?”

“G-golly. You, uh, don’t know what rain is?” Cozy asked, astonished.

Midnight shrugged, her damp feathers spraying a little water. “Apparently not as you use the term.”

Tirek turned to Chrysalis. “What kind of education did you give her!?”

“Don’t look at me,” Chrysalis shot back. “She only existed for around 12 hours. It’s just not possible to fill a pony in on all of nature in that time.”

“Urgh.” Tirek put a hand to his face. “Midnight, rain is something that comes from clouds. It’s a lot of water droplets falling at once.”

“I see,” Midnight said. “Thank you, Tirek. Let us begin, then.”

Chrysalis stepped forward, and bathed herself in green light. In her place was a massive, powerfully built roc. Tirek climbed on board, his massive hooves pressing down on her. Chrysalis squawked from the weight, but she steadied herself.

Cozy fluttered to a comfortable spot right behind the roc’s neck. Midnight settled down beside her. Cozy offered her a big, cute smile. “It’s great to have you along, Midnight! You’re like Princess Twilight, but not intolerably self-righteous and moralizing!”

“Morality is a weakness,” Midnight replied. “If a method works, why should it be of concern to me if others find it ‘wrong’ or ‘evil’?”

“That’s exactly how I see it!” Cozy agreed. “I do have a question, though. How do you know so much advanced magic and philosophy, but not what rain is?”

“I received some knowledge from Twilight, but not all of it. Most of what I received was magic theory and application, with a sprinkling of general theoretical topics. I was only the beneficiary of bits and pieces of her general knowledge.” Midnight leaned into Chrysalis’s feathers. “I picked up some more from Chrysalis, but not nearly a comprehensive amount.”

“I see…,” Cozy said thoughtfully. “Well, here’s hoping I have the chance to teach you stuff. I bet it’d be fun!”

“It most likely would,” Midnight said with the faintest hint of a smile.

“I have to take care of something,” Cozy said to Midnight. “Why not talk with Tirek? He’s as much of a magic enthusiast as you are!”

“Wait a moment. Where are you going? How will you find your way back? We’re moving quite quickly.” Midnight indicated the wind in her mane.

Cozy giggled. “My body isn’t going anywhere. But I’m sending my mind all across Equestria, to fix up some problems and help us in the battle. We used the bell to give my bows this magical power.”

“I see,” Midnight answered, soaking up the new information. “Carry on. Tirek, would you like to discuss magic theory?”

“Nothing would please me more,” he replied. “Where shall we begin?”

“Let’s start with Grogar’s spellcraft,” Midnight said, her voice a crisp tone. “From my analysis of his bell, he favors the creation and warping of life, as well as magic that preys upon specific weaknesses of organic targets. He seems likely to eschew powerful beams in favor of subtler, more effective spells, such as banishment, binding spells, and such wonderful ideas as ‘bone to protoplasm’.”

“You learned all that from a minute or so looking at his bell?” Tirek asked. “I’m impressed, Midnight. I can say from experience that when he was threatening us, his preferred technique was to pin us to the wall with chains of force. He also managed to resummon a pony we thought had been dispelled into the aether.”

Midnight gave him a surprised eyebrow raise. “How can a pony be dispelled into the aether?”

Tirek shrugged. “Sombra, at least as I understand it, is a different sort of being than a regular pony. He doesn’t have a cutie mark, for example.”

“I see,” Midnight said with a slight nod. “So Grogar can perform resurrections?”

“I’d say probably,” Tirek answered. “That’s what seems the most likely, at least.”

Midnight tapped her head with her hoof. “Interesting…”


Manehattan lay in ruins. Earth pony stampedes, pegasus flybys, and unicorn artillery had devastated the town. The clouds high above had been shaped into a barricade, while unicorns perched in the towers and earth ponies hunkered down in low buildings.

It was into this chaos that Cozy stepped. She frowned slightly. Huh. Seems like the subversion we were up to has really blossomed. Normally that would be really nice. But right now, with Grogar our target, anything that helps him is a problem. And with the Windigos going right ahead with the destruction of Equestrian society, I might not even have anything to rule over!

It is pretty amazing how easily we shattered the bonds that tie ponykind together. But I have to stay focused. Now’s not the time to get distracted with play. And who knows? Maybe rebuilding the social ties of civilization will be as much fun as ripping them apart had been!

Cozy strode boldly forward, unconcerned with the horns and rotten tomatoes readied against her. Why should she be? This body was just a phantom, after all, and any harm to it wouldn’t hurt her any more than attacking her shadow would. She put on her most adorably scared but determined face. Now it was time to test the limits of her skill with manipulation.

“What do you want, winger?” an earth pony fifteen feet from her snarled. “Come down to gloat about how superior your proud warrior race is?”

“Not… exactly,” Cozy said, putting just enough hesitation in her voice to hopefully trigger the protective instinct grownups had for kids. “I want to talk to you about, well, all of this.”

“Oh.” The grownup rolled his eyes. “You want to talk about peace then?”

“Not peace. Something related to it.” She raised her voice. “Everypony, I have an announcement!”

“Say what you want to say and then get out,” a unicorn grumbled down from her sniper perch.

Cozy took a deep breath. She’d become a master of getting ponies to like her. Now it was time to see how she did at making them like each other.

“Do you remember your friends?” Cozy asked. “The nice unicorn serving you coffee? The kind earth pony who always brightened up your day? The wall-eyed pegasus bringing the day’s mail?”

She spoke up, her voice emotional. “Do you remember playing on the playground with ponies of all kinds? Did your history teachers tell you about the founding of Equestria, and how the tribes came together?”

Cozy could see ponies starting to nod along. High above, a few pegasi even poked their heads out of the cloud bunkers. She expertly suppressed a grin of pride and continued. “I bet most of you went through things like this. I know I did.” Lies are stronger when they’re partly true. “But I have one more big question for you: did your parents tell you about the Windigos?”

She let that hang there ominously. “Because they’re real. And if we can’t all band together and stop fighting, they’ll turn this land into a frozen ruin too.”

“How do you know they’re real?” a unicorn demanded. “Have you seen them?”

“Yes,” Cozy said, her nervous voice suddenly backed by steel. “I have seen them with my own eyes, and I’ve seen the horrific weather they’re cursing us with. Look up. Did Cloudsdale schedule a flurry?”

The crowd shifted their gaze upward in unison. Cozy knew she was getting close. “I know you’re angry with each other. I know you have real problems. But if we don’t all work together and help out, Equestria is going to fall!”

“How can you be so sure? You’re just a kid.”

Cozy took a deep breath. It was time to add another layer to her deception. Squaring her tiny shoulders, she weaved her tale.

“I’m not just a kid. I’m one of Princess Twilight’s students and a leading expert on friendship theory.” True so far, though misleading. “I’m a member of a strike team dedicated to overthrowing Grogar’s tyranny. But our efforts will be for nought if you keep fighting.”

“Now, everypony, are you going to keep fighting each other, and let Grogar destroy your home? Or are you going to band together, like I have with Princess Twilight, and save Equestria?”

When she saw the two ponies she’d talked to first starting to frown uncertainly instead of snarl, she knew she’d won. “I have to get back to my friends. Princess Twilight will be counting on you to march on Canterlot.” She let a little of the childish fear seep into her voice. “I’m counting on you.”

With that, she fluttered her wings, and set course for her corporeal body.


Chrysalis listened to Tirek and Midnight discuss the abstract structure of Grogar’s magic. Most of it flew over her head. She’d never been a master of magic theory; her interests were far more applied. She knew all about shapeshifting, mind-sapping, and eating love, but when it came to the underlying principles of spellcasting, she was both less talented and less interested. A warrior doesn’t need to understand metallurgy to wield a spear. Why should I waste my time studying how magic worked, instead of just learning how to use it better?

In any case, as she was absorbing what she could of their discussion, she was using her incredibly acute roc vision to scan the lands below. The ground was pockmarked and sometimes even fractured into deep crevasses, but she could see no sign of the creature or entity responsible. It troubled her more than she wanted to admit.

The air she flapped through was frigid, much colder than it should have been. That was no doubt the windigos’ work, and she felt frost forming on her wings. She angled downwards for warmer air.

A booming KRAK-KA-THOOOM sounded out as the ground crumbled into a canyon. Even with her ferociously precise eyesight, Chrysalis couldn’t make out who was responsible. Between the rock dust and all the motion of a new ravine, not even so much as a silhouette was apparent.

Chrysalis bared her beak. She didn’t like being kept in the dark, especially about something this important. As soon as Cozy returned, she’d ask the pegasus to do some scouting beneath the earth.