• Published 6th Jan 2020
  • 6,128 Views, 545 Comments

The Ending of the End - Love and Tolerance Edition - StarlightisVERYcute



Equestria faces its most dire threat yet as Grogar and his legions march upon Canterlot. Meanwhile, Cozy Glow, Chrysalis, and Tirek prepare to betray him and seize power themselves. Can the Mane 6 save Equestria?

  • ...
12
 545
 6,128

Chapter VI

“Pegasi are thugs!”

Coco Pommel dodged back and forth in the streets of Manehattan. She had to get back to Rarity For You before things got any crazier.

“Earth ponies are morons!”

Why’s everypony fighting? Canterlot Castle had been destroyed a few hours ago, and instead of banding together, it seemed all that was going on was arguing about the different types of ponies.

“Unicorns are elitists!”

And she’d just heard somepony shouting that all of Canterlot had been destroyed. Why aren’t ponies getting organized to help out? Why are they fighting each other?

She cast her eyes downward, and hurried towards Rarity For You.


Stygian labored over a map at the ruins of Ponehenge, Starswirl by his side. It fell to the former Pony of Shadows to organize the Pillars once more, and Starswirl to protect him and offer advice.

Royal Guards across the nation brought report after report, thanks to Flash Magnus’s instructions. Stygian listened to their tales with a mixture of horror and despair. With each new story, he felt like he was falling deeper and deeper into the abyss.

Manehattan and Vanhoover consumed by infighting unseen since the founding of Equestria. The Crystal Empire leaderless. Canterlot destroyed. Sinister black fog in Cloudsdale. Las Pegasus awash with fear and loathing.

“We’re counting on you, Stygian,” Starswirl reminded him gently. “You’re our strategist. If there is yet a chance for victory, your planning will let us find it.”

“We should have heard from Flash Magnus,” Stygian replied, his lip trembling. “I worry for him.”

“As do I. But he would want us to focus on the mission.”

Stygian nodded silently. If only I had the power I had as the Pony of Shadows, maybe I could protect Equestria myself. But that power came with a darkness on the soul. It wouldn’t be worth it to save Equestria from Grogar only to doom it myself.


Tirek watched Canterlot fall with a strange mixture of feelings. It wasn’t that he was sad. It was more that he was disappointed, frustrated, and angry. The Canterlot Archives had the most complete collection of knowledge anywhere in Equestria, and no doubt were filled with valuable secrets that he could profit immensely from. But now Grogar had buried them under mountains of rubble, if the explosion hadn’t outright incinerated them.

What a waste.

A growled whisper put an end to his pondering. “Have you destroyed Twilight Sparkle and her friends yet?” Grogar demanded through his communication spell.

“We’re still working on it,” Tirek replied with a hint of irritation. “They are proving annoyingly resilient. But we’ll prevail.”

“See that you do. I grow tired of solving all your problems.” The ram lord cut off contact without waiting for a reply.

Tirek snarled. Ordering him about, the nerve! Grogar’s conceit was outrageous. Did he really think he could command Lord Tirek? Or for that matter, Queen Chrysalis or Empress Cozy Glow?

He surveyed the battlefield. The ponies were staring at Canterlot in shock, or preparing for yet another attack. He braced himself for a revenge-fueled superlaser, and raised a shield to protect his allies.

Idle thought could wait. Now, a battle had to be won.


Chrysalis mulled over what had just happened. With Canterlot gone, Equestria’s conquest was all but assured. What she wasn’t sure was if she’d be able to enjoy it.

Grogar was the one who brought us all together, yes, but he has also ordered us about like common servants. He sees us as minions, not collaborators, co-conspirators, or equals.

And I suspect he’ll seek to betray us as soon as it’s tactically advantageous. After all, I and my allies are all experienced rulers, and we’ll be a threat to his rule.

She licked her lips. That was what made their impending betrayal of him all the sweeter. As soon as these ponies are destroyed, we’ll go get his bell and use it to backstab him.

She searched the battlefield. Despite the horrified looks on the ponies’ faces, they were managing to avoid all attacks.

“Grogar just told me to hurry up with the annihilation of Twilight’s friends,” Tirek said sourly. “He could come and help, but that’s beneath someone like him.”

Chrysalis hissed. His impudence truly knew no bounds.

“Keep this shield up if you can, Tirek,” Chrysalis asked. “Let’s figure out a way to win this here and now.”

Cozy put a hoof to her chin, smiling so incredibly innocently. “Golly, you two sure are working hard to win. I’m lucky to have teammates like you!”


Cozy fumed. That IDIOT Grogar is ruining everything! He destroyed Canterlot, my future capital, and had all but guaranteed invasion by foreign nations against Equestria! If I’d just been chosen as Empress of Friendship by a popular revolution, Equestria’s allies would have had no choice but to accept my legitimacy. But now we’ll have to contend with the militaries of multiple allies of Equestria, rebellions within, and who knows what else! All because of him!

“Golly, you two sure are working hard to win. I’m lucky to have teammates like you!” Cozy said sincerely. They really were splendid teammates, and conquering Equestria with them was so fun.

She scanned the skies on an impulse. It was hard through the vortex of Tirek’s orange magic, but she could just make out three spiraling blue-white spirits: Windigos! “Ummm… Queen Chrysalis, Lord Tirek, look over there…”

They followed her hoof, and both gasped.

“They’re back?” Tirek wondered. “I thought the Fire of Friendship drove them away forever?”

“Oh no. No, no, no, this is a very bad sign,” Chrysalis muttered. “Did Grogar summon them?”

“He was creating a massive summoning circle,” Cozy offered. “So… what does this mean? Them being back, I mean.”

“It means there will barely be any love for me or my changelings to feed on,” Chrysalis hissed.

“Ponies can’t bow to my will if they’re always battling each other,” Tirek agreed.

“And an army that’s always fighting itself isn’t an effective army,” Cozy finished. “So… what do we do now?”

“I have a plan,” Tirek offered. “You two will need to trust me on it, and I might need your advice, Cozy.”

As quickly as possible, he explained his idea. Chrysalis snarled in fury, as Cozy returned to her customary smugness. “Ready?” he asked. As they nodded, he put his plan into effect.

Tirek dropped his shield, and amplified his voice. “I have a deal to offer you, ponies,” he boomed. “One you won’t refuse.”

“The only ‘deal’ we’re making is that if you surrender, we’ll put you back in Tartarus instead of turning you to stone!” Rainbow retorted.

“Wait. What deal are you proposing?” Rarity asked, suspicious but interested. “What do you want?”

“Your help in defeating Grogar!” he announced. Their stunned faces told him Cozy had called their reactions right.

“Waaaait just a minute. Why do you want to fight Grogar?” Pinkie asked, her lip curling with doubt. “Don’t you work for him?”

“Queen Chrysalis serves no one! Least of all some self-important, jumped-up senile old ram with delusions of grandeur!”

“What Her Majesty is trying to say is that we all want to rule Equestria,” Cozy explained. “Grogar seems to want to destroy it. If we help him, what’s going to be left for us to rule?”

“Ya didn’t seem to have a problem destroyin’ Canterlot Castle,” Applejack said. She raised a single eyebrow. “Why’s Equestria different?”

“Targeted destruction of one building complex and the end of civilization as we know it are very different,” Tirek answered.

The ponies still looked confused. Cozy gave a slight wing signal, and Chrysalis jumped in to finish it.

“Look around!” the queen cried. “The Windigos are back. Canterlot is gone. Grogar’s summoning who knows what. If he wins, my swarm will never eat well again!”

Slowly, the light of reason reached each pony’s eyes. “You know that I’ve upheld past bargains,” Tirek concluded. “Here’s one: neither me nor my allies will do anything against you until we’ve overthrown Grogar.” He offered a huge hand, each finger bigger than a pony, to shake.


Twilight looked up at the huge centaur. He was a nasty villain… but he and his friends were right. If Grogar won, there wouldn’t be an Equestria left to save.

She waved her friends over to talk, and saw a welcome sight—Spike flying towards her. He looked angrier than he’d ever been. With a nod, he circled towards her.

“Why aren’t we attacking them?” he demanded bluntly. “They destroyed Canterlot!”

“No they didn’t,” Fluttershy said. “Grogar did. They want to rule Equestria. And they want our help fighting Grogar.”

“Can we trust them?” Rainbow asked. “They’re all really bad guys.”

“No, we can’t trust ‘em,” Applejack replied. She took off her hat, resolve burning in her eyes. “But we need ‘em. Grogar beat Discord without much trouble!”

“Yeah. He’s a super-duper-mega-meanie!” Pinkie pawed the ground. She added, her voice wavering, “I hope Celestia and Luna are okay…”

Spike made a shut-up sign, but it was too late. The words were already out, and Twilight’s face fell into frozen horror.

“I want to fight them. I want to have justice for what happened to Celestia. But… I guess sometimes a ruler has to put the good of the world over her own feelings of justice.” Twilight closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and opened them.

“Let’s save Equestria. After that… we can set things right for the princesses.” She turned back to Tirek. “I’ll accept your deal… on one condition.”

“What?” He looked down at her imperiously.

“You return the magic you stole from my brother and whomever he was traveling with.” She stared right in his eyes. “As a show of good faith.”

He glanced to Cozy, and then to Chrysalis, before back to her. “Deal.” He opened his mouth and three orbs of magic flew out. They zoomed up into the sky, and back towards Ponyville. He shrunk down, down, to a far smaller, but still quite large, size.

One by one, the six ponies and the dragon shook Tirek’s hand. Chrysalis spat. Cozy grinned. Tirek simply nodded.

Twilight watched the three villains very carefully. Their reactions to her agreement to the truce would tell her about their future plans.

Tirek’s tail flicked back and forth, and he drummed his fingers on the ground. He kept looking over his shoulder back at Canterlot, frowning every time he did so.

Chrysalis’s eyes blazed as she paced back and forth. She kept igniting her horn before fizzling it out, and every now and again she’d close her eyes. When she opened her eyes again, they were even more ferocious.

Cozy Glow wore a hauntingly kind, innocent smile as she fluttered between the two other villains’. She gently beat her wings to stay aloft, before spiraling down onto Tirek’s shoulder.

Twilight wasn’t a master of interaction like Cozy, but she hadn’t gotten to be Princess of Friendship without learning a thing or two about how ponies acted. Tirek was frustrated and worried about something related to Canterlot. Chrysalis was infuriated, probably burning to exact revenge on Starlight and bitter that she couldn’t just do so right now. And Cozy… Cozy was confusing. Even now, her emotions were easy to read, implying she was faking them—or pretending to fake them, and showing her genuine emotion? It hurt Twilight’s head to think about. How many layers of deception was Cozy using?

Distracted with diplomacy, nopony noticed the very subtle tremor in the earth below.


Gallus perched on the edge of the Treehouse of Harmony’s window, looking out at the site of the battle. The professors were talking with the villains now, attacks abandoned in favor of words.

It made him sick to his stomach to admit, but the decision to call a truce—for what else could be going on?—made sense. Cozy wanted to rule, after all, and a world of ruins wasn’t much to rule over. From what he knew of Tirek and Chrysalis, similar motives drove them both as well.

Gallus clenched his claw into a fist. Useful allies they might be, but these three are still horrible and deserve to have justice meted out once this is over. They’ve done so many awful things, and belong back in Tartarus.

He felt a gentle but hard hoof on his shoulder. Ocellus. “Are you okay, Gallus? You’re starting to scratch the floor.”

He looked down. Sure enough, his paws were fully extended and reflexively curling, leaving lines in the crystalline ground. “I’m just… mad. I understand why our teachers are working with Cozy and her friends, but I don’t like it.”

“We could always do something ourselves,” Sandbar offered. “We stopped Cozy before. And I’m sure the professors would like a backup plan.”

“What it called in pony language?” Yona asked. “Hidden… sneak attackers?”

“Secret agents!” Gallus flashed a smile. “We could tail the professors, and intervene if it looks like they’re about to get betrayed.”

“We stopped Cozy before,” Smolder said, cracking her claws. “And this time, she doesn’t have an army of brainwashed ponies on her side.”

Silverstream put her claws to her mouth, grinning in ecstasy. “Ooooh, I’ve never been a secret agent before! What do we do?”

Ocellus engulfed her body with baby blue lightning, and she became Cozy Glow. “Golly, Chrysalis, it sure is such a scary thing that Tirek can eat our magic! Golly, maybe you should get him before he gets you! Golly, not that I mean betray him, golly—just protect yourself!”

Gallus’s face met the crystal floor as he collapsed into uncontrollable laughter. He felt Sandbar and Silverstream land next to him, both laughing as hard as he was.

Ocellus transformed again, this time into Tirek. “I love eating magic and lifting weights, and I HATE cute things! You’re so annoyingly cute, Cozy! I can’t stand it!”

“B-gawwwkhahahahah!” Gallus cluck-wheezed.

Ocellus giggled along, and returned to her native form. “I’ve been working on that. I think something like that, but less silly, could really help us.”

“It… it could,” Gallus agreed, finally catching his breath. He unsteadily got to his feet. “Everycreature ready?”

One by one, they nodded. He allowed himself a cocky smile. “Then let’s go!”


“We have an errand to run,” Tirek said. Twilight predictably raised an eyebrow. “We’ll be back in two hours or so, most likely.” He shrugged. “It’s up to you what you do in the meantime. But it’d be a bad idea for you to attack Grogar before we return. You’ll need us to win.”

Twilight sighed. “I… agree. I don’t think either of our groups can prevail alone.” She gave him a glare. “But that doesn’t give you license to do whatever you want.”

Tirek didn’t bother to answer beyond a noncommittal shrug. Twilight’s bluster just wasn’t very interesting to him, and she refused to accept the value of powering himself up by draining magic from other ponies.

Tirek’s thoughts were interrupted by Fluttershy’s piercing gaze. He felt something weird as she stared deep into him. Something weird and more than a little scary. “And you won’t hurt anypony else, will you?” she asked, steel in her normally-helpless voice. “Will you?”

He could feel beads of sweat running down his face as her eyes drilled holes in his soul.”I… alright, I won’t! Just stop making that face!”

Fluttershy broke off the horrible stare. “Good.” She trotted to beside Rainbow, no longer concerned with the centaur.

“Let’s get going, you two,” Cozy suggested. “We want to be as quick as possible so Grogar doesn’t suspect anything.”

“Right,” Chrysalis hummed as she turned into a roc. Tirek and Cozy climbed on board, and Chrysalis-Roc took to the skies. He looked over his shoulder at the six ponies and their pet dragon. They were discussing in hushed tones—too quiet for him to hear the meaning of, but loud enough to tell him they were stressed.

He settled down on Chrysalis’s plumage, and gave Cozy Glow a little smile. It wouldn’t be long now.


Chrysalis beat her wings rhythmically, letting her mind wander. Now that the battle was adjourned, she had time to think about what she’d do once she prevailed.

Starlight Glimmer must pay for what she’s done to me. Oh, she must pay in full. But first, this victory has to last. It wouldn’t do me any good to take vengeance on Starlight only to be banished to the moon.

Between Tirek’s might as magical artillery, and Cozy’s frankly uncanny ability to manipulate, I’m fairly certain I can retake the hive. And then…

Well, Thorax has to go, obviously. I’ll make an example of him, and perhaps a couple other notable traitors like Ocellus, and then let the rest back into the swarm after a suitable level of groveling. I believe Pharynx is still trying to cling to the old ways. He’ll be restored to captain of the guard, of course. And I will rule once more!

As for the horrid coloration of the changelings, I’ll simply require them all to shapeshift back to a comfortable black. Recreating my beloved antimagic throne will take decades, but it won’t be impossible. And with Cozy and Tirek ruling over Equestria, I’ll have all the time I’ll need.

After reconquering the Hive, I’ll request my fri—allies to send her Starlight Glimmer. Neither Tirek nor Cozy has any particular grudge against Starlight Glimmer, so they will most likely agree. And then… then, the fate I will visit upon Starlight Glimmer will be whispered around dimming campfires for centuries to come.

The thought brought a cheerful smile to her avian body.


Cozy snuggled into Chrysalis’s huge feathers. With the wind rushing past, it was nice to have something to hold on to. She distanced herself from her emotions as possible, and reasoned logically.

Grogar had the power to scry on them. It might only apply to locations, not individuals, and he might be too busy summoning things, but it was foolhardy to assume any of those. She had to come up with an alibi if he scryed them—and she had to tell the others. Her brain whirred with the calculating power of ten Twilights, and in a few moments she had it.

“Remember, we’re going to the hideout because Princess Twilight and her friends teleported there. You detected their destination by trying to eat her magic during the teleport, Tirek. We’re delayed but not beaten.”

Tirek nodded his so-much-smaller head. “Understood. Chrysalis, did you catch that?”

Chrysalis replied, her deep bass voice smooth “But of course. We are his loyal servants.” Cozy grinned. One thing continued to trouble the filly, however:

The self-proclaimed “heroes” know all about my love of treachery. What if they decide to take a lesson from me and preemptively betray us?


Back at the gates of the Castle of the Two Sisters, the six ponies and Spike conferred.

“So what should we do while those three are off on their, uh, errand?” Spike asked.

“Prepare for battle,” Dash suggested. “We don’t know what Grogar’s summoned, but if the windigos are part of his army, it’s probably really bad.”

“Um… I just have an idea, but I think…” Fluttershy took a deep breath, and steeled her resolve. “I think we need to help ponies.” The others turned towards her, listening attentively. “The Royal Guard can help keep peace and protect ponies, but we’re Equestria’s best friendship problem solvers.”

“The map!” Twilight said, her eyes twinkling. “It’ll lead us right to where we’re most needed.”

“Shucks, I reckon yer right!” Applejack said excitedly. “But how are we gonna get from Ponyville to all across Equestria?”

“I believe I can assist with that,” an old, crinkly voice offered.

Twilight pirouetted on her hooves. “Starswirl!” she exclaimed, her voice tinged with joy.

“Twilight, it’s good to see you again!” He trotted forward, Stygian just behind him. “I’ve continued to study friendship across Equestria. But I still have much to learn, and that’s why I believe only you six can aid Equestria in this time of need.”

“Yes, it’s a pleasant surprise to run into you, Starswirl,” Rarity interjected as politely as she could. “But we really should be off.”

“That’s what I was talking about! With Twilight’s assistance, I believe myself and her can teleport each of you to your destination, and back again once you’re finished.” He gestured. “In fact, let’s try now. Twilight?”

She nodded, and charged her horn. He matched her beam of magic with one of his own, and a moment later, all nine of them reappeared in Twilight’s crystal princess castle.

Stygian laid out his maps on the crystal table. “I had an idea based upon the search you did for me when I was, well, evil, and by the stories you’ve told of how it works. The map detects friendship problems on its own, right?” Ponies around the room nodded.

“Why isn’t it going crazy right now?” he asked rhetorically. “I don’t know for sure, but my guess is it can’t handle all these friendship problems. Everypony’s fighting in Manehattan and Vanhoover. Las Pegasus, the Crystal Empire, Appleloosa, Cloudsdale, I suspect there’s just too much going on for the map to handle it.”

“To fix this, I suggest Twilight and Starswirl calculate problems for just one city at a time, and record them to overlay at the end. After that, we can teleport you all to where you’ll be able to fix things.” He gave a nervous smile. “I’d offer to go, but I’m… not the best at solving friendship problems. I’m much more suited to organizing, like this. So, what’ll be your groups?”

“The map decides that,” Pinkie explained. “It’ll tell us where we need to go!”


“So,” Cozy asked loudly, her voice carrying over the wind, “Once we get the bell, what are we gonna do with it?”

“I read through that book we stole. I have a few ideas,” Chrysalis replied in a far louder voice. Her roc throat gave her incredible volume.

“So do I,” Tirek added. “You probably won’t get much out of it, Cozy, but you’re a different sort of fighter anyway.”

“Perhaps we could enchant you with an amplified voice so covering ears won’t do anything,” Chrysalis suggested. “Or create magic shields to protect you?”

“Golly, anything’s great, really,” Cozy said. “I’m used to being just a harmless kid, so if I could maintain that image while not being one…” She grinned evilly—which, on her, still looked pretty adorable. “Well, let’s just say it’d be a lot of fun. What about you guys? What do you want?”

“Well, I’d like to enhance my shapeshifting powers,” Chrysalis answered. “This is about as big as I can go right now, and I can’t copy some special combat abilities. When we retake Canterlot, I want to be able to shift into the most powerful forms.”

“There’s something bigger than a roc?” Cozy asked in wonder.

“Many creatures,” Tirek said. “Including me, once I’ve had enough magic to eat. That’s my main goal—more magic, and more sources. Imagine if I could drain magic from the ground or the air!”

Cozy giggled innocently. “That sure would be super! Anything else?”

“I have one other idea, but I don’t want to get your hopes up until I know it’s possible,” Chrysalis said. “We’ll see if it is once we land. And assuming it is possible, I think you’ll both be very, very excited.”

Chrysalis brought the trio in for a smooth corkscrew down to the swamp hideout. “Well, here we are.” Tirek and Cozy jumped off her back. “We should probably… ugh… contact Grogar, so he doesn’t contact us when we’re busy.” She bathed in green light, and reverted to her hole-filled natural form.

“If we had some artifacts, I could get us a nice magic circle going,” Cozy pouted. “But I don’t. Can you guys cast it?”

“Yes, of course,” Tirek replied. “But let’s head inside. It looks like it’s about to rain.”

The trio trotted or flew inside, as befit their limbs, and arrived at one of the tables Grogar had created. Chrysalis and Tirek got to work as Cozy settled into one of the seats, fluffing her curls to increase her adorability.

“Urgh, I hate this spell. Only servants should cast it, not a Queen!” Chrysalis said. “It’s unbefitting of someling of my status.”

“Remember, we’re his loyal servants, working together, chasing down the self-righteous heroes!” Cozy put on a “grrr” face, somehow becoming even cuter. “We’re checking in to report our progress.”

“Right,” Tirek said, stroking his chin. “Chrysalis, just think of yourself as Queen once more. Breathe deeply, inhale for six seconds, hold for four, exhale for eight.”

The changeling took deep breaths. In, hold, out. In, hold, out. In, hold, out. She opened her eyes. “Very well. I am Grogar’s loyal servant.”

She and Tirek fired two beams together, meeting in the air just above the table. The ground cracked from the energy, and the dust floated upwards to form a shadowy, orange-green outline.

Cozy was maintaining her “war face”. Now to pull the wool over Grogar’s eyes.

The ram stared out across them imperiously. “Well? What is so important that you contact me? What have you been doing for the past half hour?”

“We fought Twilight and her friends at the ruined castle,” Cozy answered, “and we almost beat them, but they teleported away! Tirek did some super cool magic stuff and found out they’d teleported here, so we flew over.”

“And have you captured them yet?” Grogar demanded.

“That’s just it: they’re not here,” Tirek said. He flicked a finger, annoyed. “So either I tracked them incorrectly, which is unlikely, or they teleported again.”

“Arrgh, fools! If you were able to track Twilight Sparkle, it’s probably because she wanted you to! Search the surrounding area for an ambush, and then return here.” Grogar glanced away from the communication spell. “I have other business to attend to. Do not fail me.” The spell fizzled out before any of them could reply.

Chrysalis rolled her eyes. Tirek snorted. And Cozy? Cozy just imagined Grogar dead. It was such a nice, happy image!