• Published 6th Jan 2020
  • 6,125 Views, 545 Comments

The Ending of the End - Love and Tolerance Edition - StarlightisVERYcute



Equestria faces its most dire threat yet as Grogar and his legions march upon Canterlot. Meanwhile, Cozy Glow, Chrysalis, and Tirek prepare to betray him and seize power themselves. Can the Mane 6 save Equestria?

  • ...
12
 545
 6,125

Chapter XI

Chrysalis, from her concealed position within Grogar’s body, was quite pleased with herself. This parasite fed on magical energy, and Grogar was probably the most powerful sorcerer alive. The disease was also very, very fast-acting, and almost immune to magical healing. A perfect form for this sort of attack.

Her gloating was interrupted by a mental connection. “Chrysalis? Can you hear me?” Stygian asked frantically. “Grogar’s teleported away. You need to return to your normal form and tell us what’s going on!”

Chrysalis knew fully demorphing would probably just crush her. But with her Bewitching Bell-enhanced shapeshifting, she could return just enough to perform the simplest magic.

With a flash of green light, she appeared a couple feet away. Her chitinous armor was still there, of course. It would mold into her body when she shapeshifted, and return in her natural form.

She quickly looked around. They were back in Grogar’s hideout. Grogar himself was starting to recuperate from her infection, but his face was still pale.

Chrysalis dropped to a battle stance, and fired a beam of sickly lime light at him. He raised a shield at the last moment, and her magic rippled across it like rain on a pond. A moment later, she had become a massive Ursa Major.

“How unfortunate that you betrayed me,” Grogar said grimly. As she broke through the ceiling and grabbed a huge slab of rock to use as a flyswatter, he ducked for cover. She slammed her rock down with a resounding CRASH, but he was nowhere to be found.

“Grogar’s at his hideout,” Chrysalis reported mentally. “I am fighting him now.” She collapsed her body inward to a bugbear, and dashed between the shattered walls. Where is he?

Chrysalis listened very carefully. There, the telltale sound of cloven hooves on stone. She reverted to her natural, insectoid body and set her horn ablaze. She stepped out of the green flames a few dozen paces ahead.

There, searching through the rubble. Chrysalis narrowed her eyes. This has gone on long enough.

She pounced forward. Grogar flicked his twin horns and a pulse of magic slammed into her. It left her winded but not unconscious. That’s it? That was nothing. Five minutes ago he was hurling bolts ten times stronger with impunity. He’s slipping. All that fighting, and then my draining of his magic, is wearing him down. This should be over soon.

“Did you really think you could defeat all of us?” Chrysalis taunted. “I expected you to be more realistic.”

Grogar responded by throwing a glimmering energy field around Chrysalis. She analyzed it for a moment. It was much more primitive than his previous shields, and lacking the usual deadliness, but it was still strong enough to be troublesome. With a self-assured smirk, she became a diamond dog, and dug right under the shield.

Grogar, for his part, wasn’t paying attention. He was searching the room quickly and purposefully. She could feel his agitated hoofsteps through her own sensitive paws. What’s he looking for?

Chrysalis burst out of the ground a few feet from him and reverted to her changeling body once again. She stabbed down towards him with her armored hoof. He rolled backwards clumsily and came up against a wall. She stalked towards him smoothly, and opened her mouth wide.

His eyes darted from her to a pile of rubble beside him. He actually smiled, and dove for it just as Chrysalis leapt towards him once again.

She pounced where Grogar had just stood as he barely dodged. he pulled something out of the rubble with a crow of triumph. “At last!” It was his Bewitching Bell!

Chrysalis felt a leap of fear in her heart, but pushed it down. “Well, I see you found it. A shame you won’t get the opportunity to put it to use!”

She flicked her horn downwards and a spear of magic sizzled towards him. Grogar’s many other bells glowed with power as he raised one last shield.

Chrysalis’s laser impacted Grogar’s shield head-on. Spiderweb cracks appeared across it, but it held.

“My Bell is almost drained,” he murmured to himself. “So that’s how you three got all your new powers and created that synthetic Twilight.”

Chrysalis hurled another line of jade magic. His shield shuddered, but it held. She refrained from saying anything. Anything she said might give him an idea.

“You are squandering my gifts,” Grogar said with the cold voice of judgment. “I did not craft this bell so that four would-be rulers could use it to aid ponykind.”

Chrysalis unleashed yet another laser. Grogar clearly had something up his sleeve. She had no desire to let him get to it. He said, voice harsh, “This magic belongs to those who would bring down pony hegemony. You merely wish to replace the princesses and take their thrones!”

His shield shattered like crystal, the pieces evaporating as they hit the floor. But before she could launch another bolt to annihilate him, his incantation came to a finish, and the bell opened wide.

The world seemed to dim as the bell glowed with a sinister black and blue radiance. It flared brighter than the sun, but it had none of the sun’s warmth.

Chrysalis felt her body losing its incredible fortitude and feeling of latent power. In a steady stream of green, magic oozed from her into Grogar’s bell. She thought she could perceive an orange shade and a pinkish aura as well, but it was hard to tell.

One thing was certain: she was rapidly losing the powers the Bell had granted. She lunged forward with a hiss, but a beam of blue and black slammed into her and hurled her away. It hit like a train and sent her flying through the air.

She reached out mentally to Stygian. “Take me back! Grogar’s regained his bell and drained my power! Help!”

Grogar’s horns glittered with the blue and black of a frigid night sky. Tentacles of a matching color slithered out of the marshy ground and reached greedily for her. One grabbed her tight, and began to squeeze.

And the world vanished. She was back at Twilight’s castle, with Starswirl and Stygian staring at her. The old wizard frowned, and the younger scholar whimpered. “Are you alright, Chrysalis?” Stygian asked, looking her over.

“I’m only a little worse than I was this morning,” she answered. “But you need to evacuate everypony else. The first place Grogar will check is his new throne, and with that much power, there’s no way we can fight him.”

Starswirl nodded, and began to cast a spell. Stygian just kept staring. He inquired, “So he drained your powers?”

“Yes,” she confirmed. “Specifically, the enhancements bestowed on me by his bell. He just reabsorbed all the energy they took back into the bell.”

“That makes sense,” he mused. “He is the designer of it. He probably knows all kinds of secrets that no sage has ever determined, even in their studies of the artifact.”

Chrysalis gave him a quick nod. “Once Starswirl teleports everypony back, we’ll have to move somewhere else. This will probably be Grogar’s second target.”

Before Stygian could reply, the rest of the team reappeared around the Cutie Map. Tirek was back to his normal size. Cozy and Midnight looked unchanged.

“We need to get out of here. Now!” Rainbow urged.

Chrysalis searched each of her teammates’ faces, and opened her mouth to sample their emotions. Fear’s bitterness, anger’s fiery spice, and uncertainty’s mush were all prevalent, but the cold, brain-freeze-inducing taste of dread predominated.

She fixed the image of Grogar in her mind, concentrating all her hatred on him. One way or another, he will pay in full for his presumption against my royal self.


Grogar vanished from the cage of magic. Twilight stared at where he had been in stunned silence. That was powerful enough to block all teleportation of every kind. Why didn’t it? Did his portal instead of a regular teleportation spell find a loophole? She looked to Midnight with a pained expression.

“How!? How did he get away!?” Cozy shrieked from her illusory body. “We were supposed to destroy him! What went wrong!?”

Twilight reached into the magical bond forged back at her castle. “Stygian, did you find Grogar? Can Starswirl teleport us there?”

“Hold on, I’ll ask Chrysalis,” came Stygian’s reply.

“What do we do now?” Silverstream asked as she helped Gallus back to his feet. She gave Twilight a pleading stare.

“We need to find out where Grogar is before we can do anything,” Rainbow answered. “I already reached out to Stygian. Maybe somepony else did too, dunno.” Twilight nodded, and Rainbow acknowledged it with a nod of her own. “Okay, Twi did. Anyway, let’s take a quick rest and prepare.”

One by one, the assorted ponies and other creatures sat down, aside from Cozy, who flew back the way she’d came. After a few moments of deep breaths, Twilight heard Stygian’s voice in reply!

“Chrysalis says she’s at Grogar’s hideout,” Stygian explained. “I don’t know where that is. Maybe you do?”

“Tirek!” Twilight called. “Where’s Grogar’s hideout? He’s gone back there, it seems, and Stygian needs to know where it is.”

“Hmm, peculiar.” Tirek put a huge finger to his temple. He was probably talking to Stygian, Twilight assumed.

“Starswirl says that he probably couldn’t teleport you there,” Stygian said apologetically. “It’s too far. Chrysalis is battling Grogar herself.”

“Can y’all take us there?” Applejack asked hurriedly. “Ah think Chrysalis needs our help!”

“It’s possible,” Tirek said slowly, “but it would take a huge amount of magic. And Grogar might have created some kind of teleportation trap to block the spell or redirect us to Tartarus.”


As Twilight, other Twilight, and Tirek were discussing magic, Rainbow’s reflexes kicked in. Danger! She leapt into the air just as a tremor ripped through the ground. The shockwave knocked her friends to their knees.

“What was that?” Rarity asked, her voice fearful. “And where did it come from?”

She got an answer in an even stronger tremor. This one knocked almost everypony to the ground. Only humongous Tirek remained standing, and even he looked shaken.

“Maybe something underground?” Ocellus suggested. “Or below us on the mountain?”

“I’ll go check it out,” Dash said. She flew up and dropped her wings close to her, entering a power dive off the edge of the throne room. From there, she had a clear shot to under it, or even down the mountainside.

The source was as obvious as it was frightening. A team of monsters—a bugbear, a quarry eel, a slingtail, a cragadile, an ursa minor, and a chimaera were all laying into the foundations of Canterlot of Castle.

“Hey!” Rainbow called out. “Get outta here!”

The slingtail pulled off a chunk of rock and hurled it towards her. She swerved aside, and pounded her forehooves together. “Okay, that does it.” She paused as an idea hit her, and only her reflexes saved her from another boulder.

Her friends needed to know what was going on. That was more important than settling this fight.

With a sigh, she beat her wings and ascended back up the mountainside. As she crested the throne room, she yelled down, “A bunch of monsters are destroying the ground under the castle. They’re trying to collapse it!”

Fluttershy looked up. “Creatures? Maybe I can talk to them!”

“Yeah, sure, go ahead,” Rainbow said quickly. “C’mon everypony, let’s head for safety!”

But further discussion was rendered impossible by a horrible CRAAACK. The rock ahead fractured and split, and the ground leaned away from the city. Every single pony present was thrown into the air as it tilted sharply.

And Canterlot Castle slowly began to fall.

Tirek felt the ground under his massive hooves bucking and roiling. He stumbled, each hooffall creating its own aftershock. Below, he could make out Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle, Spike, and curiously enough Pinkie Pie all working to help their friends. The other fliers were sliding along the inclined stone floor.

Tirek steadied himself, a very difficult task on a tilting slab, and narrowed his eyes. He was much less skilled at magical finesse compared to a Twilight or a Starswirl, but raw power still had its uses. And he was a talented telekinetic.

Distancing himself from the screams of ponies sliding away, he extended a huge hand and called up the power in his muscles. He felt the collapsing castle ruins as if they were a part of his own body. And he began to pull.

Tirek’s muscles screamed as the magical strain pushed them to their limits. I stopped the building from falling, but I can’t hold for long. I have to do something—fast!

He pushed through the pain and kept pulling. If I can just get it to level out, perhaps my allies can get to safety!


Pinkie watched Tirek lifting the castle with his telekinesis. He was doing great (that was a lot of magical power!), but she had a feeling it wouldn’t be enough. They had to fix the castle once it was back in place!

Twilight was still occupied with helping her friends out safely. That left the other Twilight. Pinkie bounced over to Midnight. “Hey, Midnight! You seem to be a super powerful wizard. Can you fuse together this castle and larger Canterlot?”

“I imagine so,” Midnight replied. “The aggressors will be able to damage it normally, however.”

“Oh, don’t you worry your sweet little head about that,” Pinkie said with a nice smile. “They’re trying to get us. Once we get out of here, they’ll do something else!”

“Understood.” Midnight flew over to the chasm yawning between the castle and the mountain, and shouted to Tirek, “Bring it closer so that I am able to repair it!”

Tirek grunted his agreement, and shoved his arms forward. The ground thundered as he pressed the two earthbergs together.

Midnight ignited her own horn and tilted it down, probing for the protrusions and gaps in both mounds of rock. With gentle pushes and pulls, she lined them up just right, and then began to weave their substances together. Lines of rock fused into one at her horn’s precise lining as magical sparks danced nearby. She couldn’t know it, but the overall appearance was similar to arc welding.

Just as she finished, she felt a tug, and was pulled through the walls of the world to arrive back in the baseline Twilight’s castle.


Deep in the forest, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and Apple Bloom had finally reached the townsponies. Big Mac stared at Apple Bloom angrily. Granny Smith trotted over. “Now where the hay have ya been, Apple Bloom? Ya got us all worried sick!”

“Don’t be mad at Apple Bloom, Granny Smith,” Scootaloo pleaded. “We’ve been helping our big sisters save Equestria!”

“And how have y’all been doin’ that?” the old mare demanded.

“After Shining Armor, Princess Cadance, and a pegasus named Flash Magnus were attacked by Tirek, Chrysalis, and Cozy Glow, we rescued them!” Sweetie Belle said with a proud smile. She caught her parents not that far away. “We were very careful to be safe.”

“Well, I guess you know how to do this kind of thing by now,” a pony Scootaloo recognized as Sweetie’s mom said. Her voice was heavy and a little sad. “Just don’t forget, you’re dealing with bad ponies. We don’t want anything to happen to you.”

“You can rest easy, then, Ms., uh, Cookie Crumbles?” Scootaloo asked. A nod told her she was right. “With years of training to get our cutie marks, and experience against villains like Cozy Glow, we’re totally on top of things.”

“Well, I suppose,” Granny said begrudgingly. “But ya’d better not get hurt!”

“Don’t worry, Granny,” Apple Bloom said soothingly. “We came out here to help y’all!”

“To help… us?” Cheerilee echoed.

“Yeah,” Scootaloo added. “Our sisters and their friends seem to have things under control now, and we wanted to make sure you were safe.” She gave them a nice, big smile. “We also built a lot of traps to stop any monsters Grogar sends out here.”

Their astonished, impressed stares were all the praise Scootaloo needed. “Just stick together,” Big Mac added. “Y’all will be okay ‘slong as you’ve got each other.”


“Chrysalis reports that Grogar has regained his bell,” Stygian said to Rarity through their magical link. “Starswirl will be teleporting you all back right now.” Rarity took the liberty of shutting her eyes. Dimensional travel tended to cause headaches if she kept them open.

When Rarity opened her eyes, she was back in Twilight’s beautiful crystal castle. And Chrysalis was there. She was panting hard, her entire skin heaving—does she breathe through her skin? Rarity wondered. She lacked her emerald glowing eyes, and perhaps other subtler traits, but she looked mostly unharmed.

Rarity scanned the rest of the group. Tirek was a lot smaller than he had been before. Cozy’s face was contorted in fury as she batted at one of her ribbons. Midnight looked paler than usual, almost as if she were a wilting flower. Gallus was resting prone on the floor. But by and large, everypony seemed mostly unscathed.

“We need to get out of here. Now!” Rainbow said urgently.

“I agree,” Chrysalis hissed. “Grogar will likely target this castle immediately.”

“Where to?” Tirek asked. “He has a scrying orb, those six gems he scattered Cozy’s nemeses with, and now apparently his Bewitching Bell. How can we fight him? Where can we go he won’t find us?”

“The Tree of Harmony,” Ocellus interjected quietly. Rarity couldn’t miss the annoyance on Chrysalis’s face at the reformed changeling’s shyness—or maybe even Ocellus’s existence in general. “It’s still around, if weak. It’s our best chance!”

“No,” Midnight said simply. There was nothing threatening in her voice. There didn’t need to be. “I will not be going to the Tree of Harmony.” Tirek and Cozy nodded slightly, and Chrysalis gave an unreadable look at Midnight.

“The Tree stripped away my magic years ago,” Tirek added, his voice grudging.

“And because of it, my plans failed!” Cozy agreed angrily. “That tree ruined everything!” She took a deep, long breath. “Not that I hold it against it or anything. Because friends forgive, right Twilight?”

Rarity winced. That filly is something else. Is she even really a filly, or is she something else in filly shape? Whatever the case, Twilight wisely chose not to rise to the barb.

“I agree with the grub,” Chrysalis said. Every pair of eyes darted to her, some surprised, some pleased, some disbelieving. “The Tree and its Elements are the only force that have consistently defeated every one of Equestria’s foes. If some echo of its existence yet lingers as you claim, it may be exactly what we need.”

“You’re welcome to stay here or scatter as you please,” Twilight said to Midnight, Cozy, and Tirek. “But please be careful. We will still need your help.”

“We should go to the caves beneath Ponyville,” Cozy said suddenly. As her companions turned to look at her, she explained, “It’s a place I frequented, and thus too obvious a location to hide in. However, it’s not a place I am particularly known for, so nopony will think to check there. It’s winding and full of places to hide. Stygian, Starswirl, keep up the communication link. When you finish at the Tree, contact us.”

“I will do what I can,” Starswirl promised. “Without the map, it will be much harder, but I can probably weave the spell.”

From the floor nearby, Gallus stirred. “Uuuurgh, my head. What’s this about the Tree of Harmony?”

“We’re going there,” Fluttershy answered. “You and your friends are welcome to come along if you’d like to.”

Gallus glanced behind him to each other student in turn. One by one, they nodded. “We’re in.”

Starswirl stepped forward. “I also think it’d be wise to bring the rest of the Pillars. We created the Tree, after all, and might have special insight to provide.”

“I agree,” Twilight said. “Can you teleport them directly to it too?”

“I think so,” Starswirl answered. “The Cutie Map makes that sort of magic much easier. Now, let’s get everypony where you’re going.” His horn flared grey-white, and everycreature in the room shimmered with magic. In another moment, they were gone.


The world went grey-white as Starswirl’s magic engulfed Twilight. A moment later, she was standing on the steps of the Castle of the Two Sisters. She rubbed her eyes and looked around. Her friends were there, of course, and Spike was by her side. The six students they’d been training were clustered together not far from her. And a little ways away, the Pillars were gathered in a circle.

Sure enough, they were all there. Flash Magnus, Rockhoof, Somnambula, Mistmane, Mage Meadowbrook, and of course Starswirl and Stygian themselves. “Starswirl?” Meadowbrook asked, her voice wavering. “Why’d ya bring us here all of a sudden?”

“We’ll be working with the Tree of Harmony,” Starswirl explained. “I thought it made sense to have its creators present as well.”

“Yay, a Pillars-Bearers-Students reunion!” Pinkie said cheerfully. “C’mon, let’s go talk to the tree!”

The twenty of them walked, flew, or, in one case, bounced up the stairs and to the Treehouse of Harmony. A couple inches of snow blanketed the green courtyard, creating a weird, otherworldly vista.

“Hello? Tree of Harmony Twilight?” Ocellus called out, her voice softened with uncertainty. “Are you there?”

For a few agonizingly long moments, only the falling snowflakes moved. Then the ethereal Twilight, the Tree’s avatar, appeared in a haze of static. She was shivering.

“You have arrived,” she said. “Good. Your judgment is required.”

“Judgment?” Applejack asked. “What d’ya mean by judgment?”

“A disharmonious one has entered my roots,” the tree-Twilight answered crisply. “By the laws of balance, I would be right to return him to the darkness he was called out of. However, he begged me to stay my branches, and told me that you would offer him mercy. So I ask: do you want me to spare him?”

“Well, that does seem kiiinda harsh,” Rainbow said, staring at the tree. “But I guess we have to meet him to know for sure.”

Treelight smiled creepily. “Yes. You will meet him. Follow me.”

“Who?” Spike demanded. “Spit it out!”

“King Sombra,” Treelight said.