• Published 13th Jan 2020
  • 1,197 Views, 81 Comments

CRISIS: New World Order - GanonFLCL



Twenty-one years after returning from an adventure in an alternate Equestria, Rarity finds herself returning to that other world after a spell gone awry. Once again she must find her way home, but this time, things are a little different.

  • ...
3
 81
 1,197

Chapter Two: Enemy

Rarity just had one thought in her mind the entire time that she was trudging through what seemed like endless, freezing snow: this had been much easier when she was younger.

Twenty-one years ago, Rarity was confident she could just about keep up with even the hale-and-hardy Applejack when they’d been trekking across these same great distances, barely taking too much time to rest and with hardly a complaint. Years of aging without any “adventures” in sight to keep her on her game, however, had kept Rarity from maintaining her once-proud endurance. She wasn’t out of shape—perish the thought—but, well, age always had its way of reminding you it existed and wasn’t going away.

Still, Rarity didn’t complain one bit as the cold, wet snow bit at her hooves; she didn’t let her exhaustion show as she ran the furthest and hardest she’d run in the better part of a decade; and she certainly didn’t voice the anxiety of being on another world again, not now, not later, not ever.

This time was going to be different, she knew that. This time, she wasn’t here with all of her friends, all of them equals, all of them in the same boat together in an alien world filled with excitement and danger at every turn. No, this time she had Apple Bloom and Flurry Heart with her. Apple Bloom had certainly participated in her fair share of adventures, yes, but nothing quite like this. Flurry Heart was, as far as Rarity knew, a pampered princess that hardly ever left her palatial estate, let alone the Crystal Empire, so adventures and danger were out of the question.

So Rarity didn’t complain. She didn’t gripe or moan. She didn’t let her trepidations or worries get to her or show on her face, because she had two ponies that would be looking to her for guidance, and she was absolutely determined to be strong, not just for herself, but for them. Such was the way of things when one got older—the young always looked to you in their time of need.

But yes, she thought, things would most certainly be different this time around; or, at least, that’s what she hoped would be the case. This time, she didn’t have to spend days in a filth-and-crime-ridden, smog-choked, poorly-run city looking over her shoulder out of fear for her dignity and well-being; this time, she’d met ponies from this world that she just knew she could trust implicitly right from the get-go; this time, she had hope, no, confidence that things were going to be okay.

The settlement that Sundial had mentioned was within sight at this point, though it was difficult to see clearly through the worsening snowstorm. The village had no lights to mark its location, so that just compounded issues, but Rarity still had stellar eyesight and could just make it out in the distance. Besides that, Sundial seemed to know exactly where she was going with typical Chronomancer confidence. Rarity only hoped Sundial’s confidence wasn’t as misplaced as Tick Tock’s had once been.

Still, a question had been eating at Rarity for the past mile or so, and she felt this might be the right time to ask it now that the settlement was growing closer.

“Sundial, darling, how long have ponies been building settlements out here in the Waste— in the Great Expanse?” she asked, quickening her pace to come alongside Sundial. “The last time I was here, hardly anypony could even survive out in this horrible landscape, let alone settle down and live their lives as if nothing was wrong.”

“Och, ta be honest with ye, these aren’t exactly what ye’d call ‘permanent’ settlements,” Sundial said, not bothering to look in Rarity’s direction. “They’re more like… pit stops. Just places for ponies ta rest a while and resupply before they move on ta Hope’s Point or beyond, aye?”

“Really? But… I thought that’s what the Checkpoint near Goldridge Pass was for?”

“Aye, it is, but that was only because that was the safest route through the old Wastelands. Now that the Redblade Mountains can be safely passed through, it’s definitely the faster route, so there are a few ‘checkpoints’ here and there along the way ta make the journey easier. Don’t see much use these days, though, but some ponies still maintain them.”

“The old Goldridge Checkpoint’s not even just a ‘checkpoint’ anymore,” Bluebolt said, coming alongside Rarity. “It’s a full-grown village nowadays, just called ‘Goldridge’, actually.”

“Hmm, I see.” Rarity blinked, amused at this information. Maybe if things had been then the way they were now, the original journey would’ve been easier. “Well, things certainly have changed around here, haven’t they?”

“Aye, and we’re just getting started,” Sundial snorted, a mild grin coming to her lips.

As the group arrived at the little settlement, Rarity noticed that it was completely empty. There wasn’t a single pony in sight, nor was there a single light on in any of the half-dozen or so stone buildings, nor was there even a sound except the wind. They walked through an empty street, searching for any sign of life, but came up totally and depressingly empty. Rarity began to wonder if this was normal, or if this was just the first sign that she was wrong about this adventure.

Sundial shifted her jaw, then shrugged and gestured towards the largest building in the area. “Och, no time ta worry about where everypony is now, aye? That’s the saloon over there, so we’ll at least be able ta find food and shelter.”

The interior of the saloon was eerily dark, for the moment, but Sundial seemed to know where the oil lanterns were to light the room. Once lit, everypony could see that the saloon was old-fashioned and pleasant to the eye, with a certain rustic charm to it. There were dozens of carved stone chairs seated around carved stone tables, a bar with all the accoutrements that seemed necessary, and a stairway that led up to the second floor, where there were a half dozen doors leading to bedrooms.

Everypony took a moment to shake off the snow in their coats, manes, and clothes, set down their things if they’d been carrying anything with them, then took seats and got comfortable.

Sundial, however, disappeared behind the bar for a moment before coming back with a large plate loaded with whole carrots. The carrots looked slightly stale, as if they hadn’t been touched in a long, long time. “It’s not much, but it’s better than rations,” she said with a shrug as she set the plate down for everypony to share. “Dig in while I try ta figure out where the caretaker got ta, aye? Be back in a moment.”

Sundial then headed off into the back room, leaving the other five mares alone to relax, eat, and converse amongst themselves.

“Well, now that we seem to be in a better place for it, I suppose we can pick up where we left off, hmm?” Rarity said, giving Bluebolt and Symphony a polite smile.

“Yeah, actually, I wanted to ask a few questions of you guys,” Bluebolt said, leaning back in her chair. She turned to Apple Bloom first. “So… you know you’re not really my cousin, right? I mean, you’re my dad’s brother’s wife’s sister. That would make you, like… my aunt, once-removed, or something? Step-aunt? I’m not really up on how family trees are supposed to work, but we’re not ‘cousins’.”

Bloom scratched her head, clearly bothered by this. “I mean… yeah, I s’pose that’s right? But ain’t it easier ta just say ‘cousin’ than all that other stuff? Ain’t like it makes that big of a difference, right?”

“I mean, ‘aunt’ isn’t exactly hard—”

“Ain’t none o’ y’all gonna call me ‘Aunt Apple Bloom’, y’hear?” Bloom said, pointing her hoof tersely at Bluebolt. “I’m only thirty, I ain’t old enough ta have somepony yer age callin’ me ‘aunt’. Cousin’ll do.”

Bluebolt held her hooves up defensively, but her mouth curled in a little smile. “Right, right… I just wanted to be clear. It always pays to have all the facts, y’know? That way you don’t get blindsided later when somepony drops a bombshell on you.”

“Spoken just like your mother,” Rarity said with a knowing grin.

“Ugh, don’t remind me.” Bluebolt shook her head, then turned back to Bloom. “So… how are Aunt Applejack and Uncle Flathoof, anyway? I know they can’t exactly send us postcards or anything like that, and I know my dad talks about them every now and then, but he doesn’t know any better than I do how things are now, y’know? I mean, the only reason I know Uncle Flathoof’s even married is because you called me ‘cousin’ and all that.”

“Wow, yeah, there’s a lot ta catch up on, ain’t there? Well, uh… okay, Applejack 'n' Flathoof got married, that much is pretty obvious by now. They still live on ol’ Sweet Apple Acres 'n' everythin’, an’ they’re still keepin’ it runnin’ after all these years. I visit every now 'n' then, but I’m usually busy teachin’, so it’s usually only fer the holidays.”

“You’re a teacher?” Bluebolt asked, leaning forward in her seat, a curious smile on her face.

Bloom gave a proud grin, and put her hoof to her heart. “Yup! I teach at Princess Twilight’s School o’ Friendship.”

Bluebolt blinked. “School of… Friendship? What, like… you teach ponies how to make friends, or something?”

“Not just ponies, but all sorts o’ creatures! We get students from all over, y’know? Griffins, hippogriffs, yaks—”

“I’m sorry, ‘yaks’?”

Bloom blinked. “Y’all… don’t have yaks in yer world?”

“Can’t say we do, no?” Bluebolt said, glancing at Symphony as if looking for confirmation. The latter shook her head.

Bloom tilted her head. “Oh… uh, okay, I guess?”

“Right, so… do I have any, y’know, actual cousins?” Bluebolt asked with a nervous smile. Bloom gave her a telling glare. “Sorry, right. I mean, does your sister have any kids?”

“Oh yeah, they’ve got kids, o’ course they do. Wouldn’t be an Apple Clan marriage if’n they didn’t have loads o’ kids.” Bloom smiled and lifted her hoof as she started counting off. “Let’s see, there’s Honeycrisp, th’ oldest, takes after her daddy; then there’s Jazz Apple, only colt o’ the bunch, real troublemaker; an’ last, lil’ Ginger Gold, just a total sweetheart that filly is.”

“Wow, three cousins from another world, huh?” Bluebolt shook her head and smiled, seemingly pleased at the information. “That’s… that’s really amazing.”

“Four cousins, actually,” Bloom continued with a nod. “Mah brother Big Macintosh has a daughter too, Gala Apple. She’s a real hoot, that lil’ filly, nothin’ like her parents at all. Just chock full o’ energy.”

Bluebolt raised an eyebrow, clearly surprised at how big her family suddenly seemed. “Wow, really? Huh… well, my mom and dad are gonna be glad to hear they’ve got so many nieces and nephews over there. Knowing them, they’re gonna want to get gifts together for all the birthdays they missed.”

Rarity, who had been listening to the conversation intently, elected to keep to herself who Gala Apple’s mother was and hoped Bloom would do the same. She wasn’t sure if Blackburn still hated Grayscale Force as much today as she did twenty-one years ago, but it was better not to put the pressure of finding that out on Bluebolt, who might not even know. Rarity knew she could ask Blackburn personally when the opportunity presented itself, even if Blackburn probably wouldn’t be exactly pleased that Rarity and her friends had graciously accepted those six into their world with open hooves.

“How about your family here, darling?” Rarity asked, genuinely curious and trying to steer the conversation around a bit. “If you have cousins in our world, surely Apple Bloom has other relatives in this one, yes?”

Bluebolt leaned back in her seat. “Oh, well yeah, of course she does.” She looked at Bloom a moment, tilting her head. “You already know about the rest of Uncle Flathoof’s family, right?”

Bloom nodded. “He talks 'bout 'em a lot, yeah. I know he misses 'em 'n' all that…” She paused, then smiled. “Hey, I just had a great idea! I can bring back news o’ what his family’s been up ta since he left!”

“Oh yeah! Well, uh… let’s see…” Bluebolt tapped her chin in thought. “Well, Uncle Thickhoof got his legs fixed up a few weeks after I was born, I think. Got some fancy prosthetics and everything. He’s not married yet, but he’s been dating this nurse at the hospital. He’s an engineer at the city’s power plant now. Uh, Aunt Pattycake owns a bakery in the city, super popular joint—”

“Especially if you like cupcakes,” Symphony interjected, licking her lips.

“Right, yeah, and, um… she’s married now to a pilot, Captain Almond. No kids yet though. And I already told you about Uncle Shorthoof and his wife.”

“How about your parents?” Rarity asked, leaning forward in her seat. “How are they doing these days?”

“Oh, they’re fine, I guess? I try not to stick around the palace that much, y’know? I’m trying to find my own place in the world. I mean, my brother’s married and all—”

“You have a brother?” Rarity said, eyes alight with joy. “Oh, that’s wonderful! And you say he’s married?”

Bluebolt blinked, clearly put off by Rarity’s enthusiasm. “Uh, yeah, Fireglow’s married and everything. Gleaming Dawn’s her name. She’s a noble from down south. The wedding was earlier this year, actually, right at the end of summer… or I guess winter, since they got married down south. Oh, and then there’s my sister Dreamchaser. Shame you guys didn’t get here a few weeks ago, you would’ve been invited to her cute-ceañera.”

Rarity practically squealed with excitement. “Oh my goodness, this is simply marvelous. I can’t wait to meet your family, Bluebolt.”

Bluebolt tilted her head. “Uh… sure, okay? Thanks?” She glanced at Bloom. “So yeah… that’s your extended family, for now I guess?”

Just then, Sundial returned, grumbling something obscene under her breath and not looking at all pleased with what she’d managed to turn up. “Och, so, I checked out the whole settlement, aye? It looks like it’s been totally abandoned, right out o’ the blue.”

“Oh? I thought that ponies just stopped in to rest before moving on, though?” Rarity asked, starting to get slightly worried.

“Aye, but it still has a few permanent residents ta maintain it, right? Well, they’re all gone too. No signs o’ struggle or anything like that, but they definitely packed and left in a bloody hurry. All that’s left are some o’ their older foodstuffs, a couple o’ empty bottles o’ booze, and not much else.”

“Well, that’s odd… isn’t it?”

Sundial grunted, her mouth curling in a smirk. “Aye, cheers lass, it’s odd that a bunch o’ ponies who made it their life’s work ta maintain this place just up and left without a trace. Bloody well figured that out then, aye?”

Rarity narrowed her eyes slightly, but held in the indignant response she wanted to give the other mare. Were all Chronomancers completely rude know-it-alls without an ounce of tact or compassion? This Sundial made Tick Tock look downright pleasant, and that was saying quite a lot; Tick Tock had been rather abrasive when they first met, even if she eventually grew out of it.

“So, what’s the plan then?” Rarity asked. “I assume that we’re still resting here for the evening, then moving on in the morning?”

“Aye, that’s the plan.”

“And I suppose you already have an idea in mind for getting the three of us home then?”

Sundial shook her head, not so much embarrassed as dismissive. “At the moment, no, there’s no plan ta really be had yet, aye? It’s a bit soon ta be thinking in those terms.”

Rarity raised an eyebrow and tilted her head, lost. “I... beg your pardon? What do you mean? Do you mean you don’t even have a plan?”

“Och, well, not exactly yet, no.” Now Sundial looked embarrassed. “This all happened unexpectedly, aye? I’ll have something though, give me some time—”

“Well… forgive me for saying so, but I expected a bit better from Tick Tock’s… replacement, I suppose?

Sundial gritted her teeth. “Oh really? Listen, my job for most o’ the last decade has been cataloguing all the changes ta the world’s ecology and society, with the occasional closing o’ Void rifts, aye? This is my first time dealing with a bunch o’ travelers from one o’ the other Equestrias, and it’s not exactly a typical set o’ visitors, either.”

“Tick Tock handled it just fine, I think,” Rarity quipped.

“Aye, is that right? Tick Tock handled it just fine, did she now? She damn near got the whole multiverse screwed over arse-backwards because o’ how she handled—” Sundial paused, and took a deep breath, clearly upset with what she’d just said.

“Put yerself in my horseshoes, aye?” she continued. “Ye’re just minding yer business, doing yer job like ye’re supposed ta, and then the three o’ you show up, and one o’ ye’s already been here before. It’s bloody damn well complicated!”

Rarity leaned back and took a breath as well. Sundial had a point, and this was different from last time, wasn’t it? “Well, can’t we just do what we did the last time this happened? Tick Tock had us travel down south and ask Harmonia for help, so why not do that again? As the saying goes, ‘if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it’?”

Sundial scratched the back of her head, clearly mulling it over. “That’s… that’s where things get complicated, unfortunately. Harmonia’s been missing for the better part o’ the last decade, aye? Longer, actually. Nopony’s seen hide nor hair o’ her in years, so… she’s not exactly a reliable source o’ help, sorry ta say.”

Rarity’s spirits fell slightly. The last time she’d heard anything about Harmonia, the alicorn goddess—now in a physical body—was being tended to by zebra healers who assured everyone that she was making a full recovery. Had that been a lie? The zebras didn’t seem the sort to do something like that.

“I see… yes, that would complicate matters, wouldn’t it?” Rarity pondered things for a moment, trying to remember how the situation went last time; surely there was more to be done? “Well, what about the portal we built? Is that still up? Can’t we use it?”

“Och, aye, it’s still up, but without Harmonia there’s nopony powerful enough ta activate it proper-like. And besides that, until I get a few things settled there won’t be anypony on the other end ready ta make sure it goes smoothly. It’s a right mess.”

“I… I see… hmmm…” Rarity took a deep breath, trying her best not to look despondent in front of Bloom and Flurry despite feeling like everything that could go wrong just did. “So… what plans do you have for now, then? I assume you at least have something in mind to get the ball rolling, as it were?”

Sundial cracked her neck, then nodded, suddenly very sure of herself. “We’re moving west across the Redblade Mountains starting the day after tomorrow, crossing the eastern portion o’ the Expanse, then making our way back ta Goldridge. I have ta check in with my counterpart in yer world to figure out what the situation is like and if they have any input, aye?”

“Can’t we just head east? Goldridge can’t be far if we’re on this side of Redblade—”

“The winter storms up here in the north are violent and constantly shifting, lass,” Sundial grunted with a little puff of authority. “It took me three weeks ta plan out this bloody route that won’t take us through any freak thunderblizzards—”

Flurry Heart, who’d kept silent until now, apparently just happy to sit and listen, raised her hoof in the air. “Um… excuse me? Thunderblizzards?”

Sundial turned and looked at her as if trying to think of what to say. “Aye, thunderblizzards. They’ve been getting worse over the last, och, five years or so? Lots o’ leftover magic in the air after the Beacons shut down, so it just makes them worse. Deadly.” She pointed at Rarity. “Ye’ve been here before. Ye remember the Belt o’ Tranquility?”

Rarity nodded hesitantly. “I remember passing through it, yes, but I was in an airship designed to protect against the horrible magic it possessed. Rainbow Dash tried to fly straight through it by herself, though… and she did say it almost killed her. Something about ‘living lightning’?”

“Och, well, these thunderblizzards are like… the Belt o’ Tranquility had a baby with a snowstorm. Fierce winds, lots o’ snow and hail, and worse, the thunder and lightning. It’s because the warm air from the Redblade Mountains mixes in with the winter air of the Expanse. Ye’d be downright nuts ta try and cross through one, aye? Even Hope’s Point doesn’t send airships in that kind o’ weather, and their pilots are loony.”

“But I thought their shielding systems defended against that kind of weather?”

“Aye, but that’s just the lightning and the snow. Doesn’t do much against the cold itself. Freezes engines right up, it does.” Sundial shook her head. “So, we have ta follow the route I’ve got mapped out, aye? The Expanse might not be the old Wastelands, but winter’s here, and modern winter’s worse than anything the old Wastelands might’ve thrown at ye, as ye just heard.”

“The rest of the year’s real nice, though,” Bluebolt added, apparently sensing the discomfort and worry in the room. “Northern springs are one of the most beautiful times of the year, even compared to southern summers. Green grass everywhere, clear skies, cool breezes, the works.”

“Just gotta deal with, y’know, that time of the year,” Symphony said with a chuckle and a nudge to Bluebolt, who turned a little red and pushed Symphony away.

Rarity considered the information, then sighed and nodded. “Hmm… alright, I suppose we don’t have much of a choice in the matter then, do we? How long do you anticipate it’ll be to reach Goldridge going around the long way, if I might ask?”

Sundial gestured with her wings. “Just a wee bit more than a week was my original itinerary, but I didn’t account for extra mouths ta feed, aye? We were also gonna stock up as much as we can here. Nopony’s around ta complain, but then there’s not much here ta take, so we’re gonna make another stop in Redridge at the main kirin settlement ta see if we can’t get supplies there. It won’t take more than an extra day at most, and I’ve got it set that we can afford two.”

Rarity’s eyes widened, completely surprised. “Kirins? I didn’t think your world had kirins. There weren’t any last time I was here.”

“Och, we didn’t, not for a few years after ye left. They came out o’ hiding in the Redblade Mountains once the volcanoes died down and ponies started traveling through again. A lot has changed since ye were here last.” Sundial paused, then took a deep breath. “Incidentally, lassies, I think it’s time ye tell me why ye lot are here, aye? Or rather how ye got here.”

“We got sucked inta that, uh… ‘rift’, or whatever y’all called it,” Bloom said, twirling her hoof through the air. “Y’know, like the thing we popped back out of?”

“Aye, I know that, lass, but that should be bloody impossible.”

“Why’s that?”

Sundial opened her mouth to speak, then stopped very suddenly. She turned to Rarity; Rarity noticed she looked a little spooked, as if she’d almost said something she shouldn’t have. “Rarity, I need ta speak with ye privately, aye? If ye don’t mind?”

Rarity pointed at herself. “Me? You do?”

“Aye. Ye’re the only one here that I can talk ta about this. Chronomancer protocol, since ye’re already… ‘aware’, so ta say?”

Rarity blinked, trying to parse through Sundial’s words, and when they made sense to her, she nodded in understanding and rose from her seat. “Very well, darling. Let’s chat, shall we?”

Sundial led Rarity into the back room of the saloon, which was practically empty save for a few near-empty bottles of whiskey, rum, and tequila. There wasn’t even a chair to sit in.

“So…” Sundial started, taking a breath. “Now that I know for sure that ye’re the same Rarity that met Tick Tock, I suppose ye remember at least a wee bit about… Equestria Prime? Aye? Center o’ all the multiverse and all that?”

Rarity paused, then nodded glumly. “Yes, how could I forget? I’m just glad I don’t have to remember some of the things Tick Tock does...”

“Well, then ye know all about the concept o’ ‘Canon’ then, aye? What Equestria Prime represents?”

“I believe the topic came up, yes,” Rarity said thoughtfully. “My world isn’t the same as the ‘Canon’ Equestria, just a different spin on things. As I recall, one of our bigger differences originally was that our Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash were romantically involved, but they’re apparently not in the ‘Canon’ of Equestria Prime?”

“Aye, I believe that’s one o’ the things Equestria-IV has as one o’ its quirks, though that doesn’t mean much ta me what with this world being so much more different. I’m sure yer world’s got all sorts of other oddities these days though, doesn’t it?”

“I… suppose? What do you mean?”

Sundial rubbed the back of her head. “Och, well, I understand that ye integrated yer, uh… ‘clones’ inta yer society? Didn’t ye?”

Rarity raised an eyebrow. “Something like that, yes. Can we get to the point, darling?”

“Aye, I’m getting ta that lass, don’t get yer knickers in a twist,” Sundial grunted; she was clearly trying to be cordial but wasn’t good at it. “The point is, the Canon timeline is stable now, and has been for a while as of this conversation. Yer world is connected ta Canon closely enough that it should be stable as well, meaning that the Void shouldn’t have any presence in yer world unless it was specifically called there.”

“I’m... not sure I understand. The only pony I know that could do anything like that is Starlight Shadow, and she can’t control the Void properly anymore. She’s just an extraordinarily powerful unicorn, like Twilight was before she became an alicorn. Part of the ‘integration’ process, Time Turner said, I think? And besides, she wasn’t there when this all happened.”

“Aye? Well then, tell me what did happen.”

“Well… Princess Cadence attempted to cast an enchantment on me to help me get over a… bout of lovesickness.” Rarity cleared her throat, embarrassed to admit that to somepony that was basically a total stranger. “I don’t know what happened after that exactly, but as she was finishing the spell, that Void rift just... tore itself open right above us. It all happened so fast...”

Sundial pondered this carefully. “Another curiosity I noticed is that the portal closed up all on its own, right after ye—and I mean specifically you, Rarity—came through it. That shouldn’t happen. Void rifts don’t close that fast on their own, ever. That’s why Chronomancers exist, aye? We’re in charge o’ closing them so they don’t get big and tear worlds apart, and because there’s not much else that can close them.”

“That was my understanding as well, darling, but I’m afraid I don’t know much about the subject, certainly not enough to help you figure it out.”

“Aye, I can tell, but that’s not yer fault. Still, this is different than last time ye were here. Very different.” Sundial cracked her neck and took another breath. “We need ta get ta Goldridge. Chronomancer HQ will have sent a temporary agent ta Equestria-IV ta investigate the rift, and I need ta get in contact with them so we can figure out why this happened. Only then can we piece together a plan ta get ye back home.”

“Would Tick Tock know anything? Maybe she could help?”

Sundial sighed and nodded. “Och, that too, but she’s also in Goldridge, so we’d better hurry along. Two birds, one stone, aye?”

“I suppose so—”

They were interrupted when Sundial’s pocket watch gave a loud buzz. She fished it out of her coat pocket, popped it open, and gave it a stern look. It was glowing a dull green. “Shite,” she muttered.

“What’s the matter?”

“Another Void rift nearby, two in one bloody day. Hopefully this one won’t start spewing more visitors, aye?”

Sundial brusquely pushed past Rarity and made for the main room, and Rarity followed behind, worried and curious. As soon as Sundial entered the room, she walked straight over to the table where the others were all embroiled in conversation, pointing at Bluebolt and Symphony.

“Oy, lovebirds, ye’re with me. We’ve got work ta do,” she said with an air of practiced authority.

Bluebolt raised an eyebrow. “Huh?”

“Another tear opened up, aye? I’ve gotta go seal it up, and you two are coming with. Ye said ye wanted ta come on the job with me and see the world or some shite like that, so come on, let’s go see the bloody world.”

Bluebolt and Symphony shared a brief look, shrugged, then got up and got ready to leave. Symphony just needed to grab her weapons, nothing else, since their saddlebags could stay here.

Sundial then pointed at Rarity, stern, but polite. “Rarity, start getting things set up here for when we get back. We shouldn’t be gone for too long, but I’d rather not worry about putting rooms together when we return, aye?”

Rarity nodded. “I can do that.” She turned to Bloom and Flurry. “Girls, you want to lend me a hoof or two?”

Bloom stood up, hooves on the table, suddenly very serious. “Actually… if it’s not too much trouble, I’d like ta go wit’ Bluebolt.”

Rarity raised an eyebrow. “Oh? Why?”

“Well, I’d like ta spend more time with mah family, y’know? I ain’t gonna get a chance like this again, an’ I don’t know long we’re gonna have ta do it in. No offense, but I don’t want ta waste mah time changin’ sheets.”

Rarity thought for a moment; she knew, at least from some partial personal experience, that Chronomancer work could sometimes get dangerous, especially when those blasted Void rifts got involved. But, she also knew that Sundial seemed trustworthy enough, even if she was abrasive, that Symphony seemed perfectly capable of protecting anypony they were with, and that Bluebolt was indeed family to Apple Bloom. It wasn’t really her place to deny Bloom the opportunity, even if she was concerned for her well-being.

So, Rarity turned to Sundial. If Sundial refused Bloom’s company, that would be different than if Rarity refused to let her go. “Is that alright with you, Sundial?”

Sundial gave Bloom a terse look, narrowing her eyes. “Och, I’m not a bleeding foalsitter, so I don’t take ponies with me that can’t handle themselves, aye? Do ye know how ta handle yerself in a scrap, lass?”

Bloom stuck out her chest proudly. “Mah sister taught me a few things 'bout defendin’ mahself. ‘Never can be too careful’ she said. Considerin’ the adventure she had when she was here last time, I guess she was right.”

“Applejack was a very capable fighter when we were here last, if I might add,” Rarity said, giving Sundial a confident grin. “If Apple Bloom’s half as good ‘in a scrap’ as her sister was, I’m sure she’ll be just fine.” She didn’t exactly want to encourage this, but she couldn’t deny that Bloom’s confidence seemed well-placed.

Sundial eyed Bloom up and down for a moment, then adjusted her jaw and let out a breath. “Fine. Just stay outta trouble, aye? If I have ta come pull ye out of the fire, this is the only time ye’re coming along on anything like this. Ye got that?”

“Got it,” Bloom said with a pleased nod.

Sundial tilted her head towards the door. “C’mon then, let’s not waste time flapping our gums like a bunch o’ gossipy old hens.”

And just like that, the four mares walked out into the snow, leaving Rarity and Flurry Heart alone.

Rarity shook her head, more worried than she’d been all day. “I certainly hope that was the right thing to do, letting her go with them…”

Flurry got up and put her hoof on Rarity’s shoulder, a calming gesture. “She’ll be fine, Rarity. She’s got good ponies with her, and like you said, if she’s even half as good at defending herself as Applejack is, she’ll be better than fine. I sincerely believe that.”

Rarity gave Flurry a weak smile, as the other mare’s confidence was contagious. “I certainly hope so, dear. I admire your optimism. This world tends to… well, drag you down a bit, and it brings out the worst in ponies. Don’t let it do that to you, as it once did to me and my friends. Okay?”

“I won’t, I promise,” Flurry said, returning the smile. “C’mon, let’s start getting things together. Hopefully the caretakers left something behind that we can use.”

*****

Apple Bloom followed Bluebolt and Symphony as Sundial led them towards a cave just outside of the settlement, less than a half-hour’s walk away. As they approached, Sundial’s pocket watch’s subtle green glow grew brighter and brighter. Once they reached the cave’s mouth, the glow was bright enough to illuminate the cave’s interior fairly well, which was handy since there weren’t any artificial lights inside with which to see by.

Symphony lit up her horn to give off a healthy white glow, which surrounded the group and gave them a more readily-available, brighter light source as they moved further inside. Bloom figured it was a good idea, as they couldn’t risk Sundial’s light going out and leaving them in darkness.

As the group entered into the cave and made their way through the winding passages, Bloom turned and whispered to Bluebolt: “So, y’all’re like Miss Sundial’s assistants or somethin’? I thought y’all were the princess o’ some big city?”

“Nothing like that, no,” Bluebolt whispered back. “We’ve just known her for a long time and know all about the neat stuff she gets up to, so we wanted to come along for once. Y’know, get to experience the world outside the city?”

“Yeah. Traveling the Great Expanse, keeping tabs on all the changes that have happened since, well… your sister and your friends left,” Symphony added, also in a whisper. “Apparently, whatever they did while they were here completely changed the world. Bluebolt and I never got to see the way things were before, but I guess these changes are un grande affare. Capisce?

Bloom tilted her head, not sure if she should be impressed or worried. “Wow. I mean, Applejack used ta talk about her adventure when I was younger, tellin’ everypony how she met Flathoof 'n' fell in love 'n' all that, but I didn’t know it made such a difference here too. Is it all… good changes?”

Bluebolt paused. “Well… my mom and dad say that some things are better. Like, way better. Plants and trees and grass are growing up here in the north for the first time in centuries, I guess? Even animals are starting to come back, and some sort of monster called a… a ‘Gargantuan’ or whatever? They’re not the same as they used to be anymore either.”

“But they also said some things are… worse,” Symphony said hesitantly. “New Pandemonium City is on a total lockdown, has been for like fifteen years. Pretty much nopony gets in or out, not unless they’re really smart and really desperate. So… all of the ponies there that have to suffer have no way out of it. I’m just glad my parents got out when they did.”

“Yeah… I guess the same should go for my dad’s family,” Bluebolt continued, taking a breath. “If my mom and dad hadn’t gotten them out when they did, they might all still be stuck up there.” She shuddered at the thought. “It’s just awful to even think about it.”

Sundial hushed everypony with a sharp “shhh!” and everypony did just that. She then pointed ahead with her pocket watch, which was now glowing brighter than Symphony’s light spell was. Bloom could just barely feel the sensation of rushing wind coming from around the corner.

“It’s just up ahead,” Sundial said. “Remember: wits about ye, eyes open. That creep can’t be far from here, and we’re in shite territory fer dealing with him, aye? Lots o’ shadows about.”

Symphony nodded and drew both of her swords out, keeping them poised on each side of her while still maintaining her light spell. She turned to Bluebolt briefly. “Stay behind me, and stay close, Bolt.”

“Of course,” Bluebolt nodded. She turned to Bloom. “You stay near me too, Bloom. Symphony’ll keep us safe, I promise.”

“I can handle mahself, y’know,” Bloom said, raising an eyebrow. “I ain’t scared o’ whatever’s happenin’.”

“Yeah, I know, I feel the same way,” Bluebolt said, nodding with a smile. “But rule number one of having a bodyguard is: if you don’t need to get involved, then don’t get involved. Let Symphony do her job; she’s the best at it, trust me.”

Bloom paused, then nodded and moved in close with Bluebolt as the quartet continued forward.

As they rounded the bend, the Void rift came into view, a swirling tear in the fabric of space in the middle of an open cavern. It drained all of the light in the chamber, so much so that apart from the few sources generating anything directly, there was no light to be seen. There were three such sources in the cavern at present: Sundial’s pocket watch, giving off a green glow; Symphony’s light spell, giving off a white glow; and the light spell of another, older unicorn, giving off a golden glow.

This other unicorn had a rich, light gray coat, almost silver in color, and a dark gray mane that he kept short, but styled elegantly. He wore a crisp vest over a long-sleeved shirt, all underneath a warm black coat. Besides his light, his magic was also manipulating a strange-looking box, which glowed a similar green as Sundial’s watch, only not quite as brightly. Wisps of green energy flowed into it, seemingly from the Void tear. He also had a small visor over one eye.

The unicorn turned at the intrusion of quartet before anypony could say anything or react to his presence. “Ah, the Chronomancer in the flesh at last. And she’s not alone, either. Curious. I was led to believe your sort worked alone.”

Sundial narrowed her eyes. “Who the bloody hell are ye that ye know who I am?”

“Hmph. I don’t give my name to common filth, girl.”

“Ooh, he’s a charmer, this one,” Symphony snorted, brandishing her swords in front of her. “A real ladykiller. You speak to all the mares you meet like that, cretino?

The unicorn snorted lightly. “Just those of inferior stock, I’m afraid. A pity you tarnish yourself by associating with these flying rats and that mud eater.”

Sundial glared at the other unicorn. “Right then, I don’t know who ye are, or what ye’re doing here, but it sure doesn’t look good ta me, aye? So, why don’t ye pack yer things there and piss off, before things start to get bloody messy? And I mean that literally.”

“Amusing. I was about to suggest the same to you.” The unicorn tilted his head just slightly to his right, their left. “Two-eighteen, deal with the Chronomancer.”

Sundial opened her mouth to speak, but then turned sharply to her left just as a uniform-clad earth pony leapt out of the shadows and tackled her into the darkness. She nearly dropped her pocket watch in the process, just barely keeping it in her hooves and keeping herself in the light.

“Sundial!” Symphony shouted, moving towards the green glow the pocket watch was giving off.

“Ah ah ah,” chided the older unicorn; his visor briefly lit up.

Before Symphony got far, there was a slight buzzing noise that filled the cavern, and Symphony barely ducked in time as some sort of small machine flew through the air just over her head. Immediately after, a pair of lights ignited, attached to the small drone armed with a small, cannon-like appendage under its chassis.

Symphony turned to Bluebolt and Bloom. “Take cover, you two. I’ll handle this.”

Bloom took half a step forward. “But—”

“I said take cover!” Symphony snapped.

Bluebolt grabbed Bloom and gestured towards the path they’d just come in from. “C’mon! She can handle herself, trust me.”

Bloom hesitated, then nodded. She and Bluebolt took several steps back and hid just behind the wall by the path into the cavern, just enough that they could still see what was going on based on Symphony’s light.

The drone charged straight at Symphony’s head. She lifted her rapier up to defend against it as it approached, while swinging with her longsword simultaneously. The drone raised a small, magical barrier directly in front of it, identical to unicorn magic, and both swords clashed against it briefly. Symphony nearly lost her grip on her weapons.

Che diavolo?” Symphony muttered as the drone soared up and around her.

“Wonderful device, isn’t it?” the older unicorn said, dimming his horn so that he couldn’t be seen as clearly. “Unicorn magic filtered through technological means: a techno-magic marvel. I feel such a magnificent invention is wasted on you, but I prefer not to get my hooves dirty.”

The drone swooped down again, this time firing off a few bolts of unicorn magic down at Symphony from its cannon. She deflected them with her rapier, and swung her longsword up to try and catch the drone, but it’s shield easily blocked the blow. It seemed to read her movement’s before she even made them and react accordingly.

The older unicorn smirked, then turned towards the green glow where Sundial was currently engaged with the earth pony, and he watched. Sundial dodged to and fro as the earth pony leapt through the light of her pocket watch and back into the shadows, then back again with astounding speed and from constantly varying directions, including from straight above her.

“Ye’re gonna have ta do better than that, laddie!” Sundial shouted at her unseen assailant, eyes darting back and forth. “Why don’t ye come out and fight me like a proper stallion, aye? Or are ye scared o’ me?”

“Curious, you think he responds to you and your schoolyard taunts?” the older unicorn chuckled as he approached Sundial’s light. “He only listens to me, girl.” He turned to his right, a glare on his face. “Two-eighteen, your performance is disappointing me. Subdue the Chronomancer, now.”

“Yes, Overseer,” came the deep, monotone voice of the earth pony.

Sundial ducked in time to avoid the earth pony leaping at her again from the shadows. She clearly did not account for him kicking his legs downward mid-leap and slamming right into her back.

Sundial hit the floor of the cave, dropping her pocket watch. Its light was slowly dimming as the Void rift above them got smaller and smaller, its essence still being drained into the little device the older unicorn carried with him.

The shadowy earth pony stepped out of the shadows down and pressed his hoof against Sundial’s back. “Target subdued, Overseer,” he said.

“You’re running out of light and time, Chronomancer,” said the Overseer, taking another few steps forward. “I thought for certain you’d prove at least somewhat of a challenge, but it seems I was mistaken. A pity.”

“Ye run yer mouth an awful lot, don’t ye?” Sundial grunted.

She took in a sharp breath, then quickly beat her wings just once, as if attempting to take flight. It was enough to push her off the ground, despite the earth pony pushing down on her, which was enough for her to kick her way forward and grab her pocket watch again. In the brief moment of confusion, she leapt forward to try and punch the Overseer.

Her hoof impacted the drone as it soared across the cavern like a rocket. Sundial gripped her hoof in pain and fell back to the floor.

The Overseer smirked. “Ooh. So close.”

Symphony suddenly flung her longsword through the air towards him. He only barely turned his head enough that the blade sliced across his ear rather than the back of his skull.

“Keep your eyes on the prize, amico,” Symphony taunted as she sprinted towards him, rapier drawn.

The Overseer turned sharply and directed his drone towards her. Symphony leaped into the air, high enough to clear the drone’s magical bolts, high enough to clear the drone and thrust her rapier straight through its unprotected backside before landing dramatically in front of the Overseer. The drone crashed against the floor behind her, catching fire almost immediately.

“Two-eighteen! Defend me!” the Overseer shouted.

The shadowy earth pony leapt straight up from the shadows below Symphony and tackled her just as she moved to strike the Overseer. The Overseer took advantage of the momentary distraction to back away into the darkness, completely dimming his horn so that he could not be seen at all. Now only Symphony’s light and the dangerously dim glow of Sundial’s pocket watch kept the area illuminated.

Symphony hit the wall, hard, losing focus on her rapier for just long enough to drop it. The shadowy earth pony pinned her against it with one hoof, then raised the other to smash her face in.

Bloom made to move to help, but Bluebolt was faster.

The shadow pony turned sharply, then leapt back into the shadows again just in time to avoid Bluebolt leaping right at him. A small, metallic device attached to her hoof glowed a dim blue and impacted the cavern wall, which cracked upwards towards the ceiling. She’d just missed Symphony’s head.

Symphony glanced to the side to see Bluebolt’s hoof embedded in the wall, then at Bluebolt with a smile. “Uh… grazie, pecha.”

“Don’t mention it, songbird,” Bluebolt said with a grin. “Sorry I missed.”

“Just be glad you missed my head.”

Sundial got to her hooves and glanced around. “Alright, ye bloody roaster, come on out and let me wallop ye. See who’s just a wee girl now, aye?”

The Overseer, from his position in the shadows, grunted. “It would seem I miscalculated and am now at a disadvantage, albeit a slight one. Two-eighteen, cover my retreat.”

“Yes, Overseer,” came the voice of the earth pony.

For a brief instant, Bloom saw the Overseer’s horn ignite as he teleported away with a flash and a pop.

“That’s right, bugger off ye twat! Ye arsehole! Ye bleeding pansy!” Sundial spat, stamping her hoof in the dirt. “Grow some bloody balls next time!”

She glanced around herself again. The earth pony—the Overseer kept calling him Two-eighteen or something?—wasn’t showing himself just yet. Before the light in her pocket watch gave out, she twisted one of its dials and what remained of the Void rift above her closed with a low whimper. Without it absorbing the light of Symphony’s magic, the cavern was much brighter.

“Shite,” Sundial grunted, shaking her head. “Where’d that other one go?”

They didn’t have much time to think on it, unfortunately. As soon as the Void rift finished closing, it gave a fierce rumble, sending a shockwave through the cave. This wouldn’t have been a problem, but there was now a huge crack in the cave wall near Bluebolt and Symphony. A huge crack that was getting bigger by the second.

“Uh oh…” Bluebolt muttered. She tried to pull away from the wall. “Crap, I’m stuck!”

“That’s a problem,” Symphony agreed. She tried to move too, but Bluebolt’s position had her effectively pinned.

The cavern gave a loud crunch as the crack in the wall ripped across the ceiling, shaking rock loose throughout the chamber.

“That’s a big problem. Sundial! Little help here, amica!

Sundial flew over to the two of them and helped Bluebolt dislodge herself from the wall. “C’mon! We gotta get out of here!”

Symphony quickly grabbed and sheathed her swords, then the three of them made for the cavern entrance to head back up towards the surface. They only made it about a few steps before their way was barred by the uniformed earth pony.

Symphony sighed and drew her longsword back out. “C’mon, really? You’re gonna do this?”

Sundial snorted and stepped forward. “Outta the way, ye daft idiot. Yer chickenshite boss left already.”

“Covering the Overseer’s retreat,” the earth pony said, settling into a combat stance.

“Och, bloody hell,” Sundial said, rolling her eyes. “Fine then, let’s do this.”

A few long, tense seconds passed as the trio and the earth pony stared each other down, waiting for one side of the conflict to make the first move as the cavern continued to shake more and more violently around them.

Then, without a word, Apple Bloom slammed her whole body into the other earth pony’s side with a shoulder charge propelled by farm-working legs. He had been so focused on the other three that he hadn’t noticed her just a few paces behind him. His head hit the opposite wall with a sharp crack, and he was unconscious instantly.

Bloom took a deep breath, then gave the other three a confident grin. “See? Told ya I can help in a fight.”

Sundial chuckled and patted Bloom on the shoulder. “Aye, good show, lass, good—”

The cavern gave a violent lurch as a huge chunk of rock loosened from just a few feet to her left, smashing into the floor and leaving a decent-sized impact crater.

“Well, time to go!” Bluebolt said much too quickly as she started for the exit. “C’mon, hurry!”

“You don’t have to tell me twice!” Symphony called after her.

Bloom started off next. “Wait fer me!” Before she got too far, she noticed that Sundial wasn’t following. She stopped and turned, and saw that Sundial was staring at the unconscious earth pony. “Hey! We gotta go!”

“Och, right. C’mon, help me drag this one out, aye?” Sundial said, moving to grab the pony’s bottom half.

Bloom hesitated for barely an instant, then nodded and moved to help. She didn’t need to argue or debate whether it was better to leave this pony to die or not, it just wasn’t in her to do something like that. She grabbed the pony’s other half, and with a grunt, she and Sundial lifted him up and quickly made their way out before the entire cavern caved in around them.

They set the earth pony down at the cave entrance, where Bluebolt and Symphony were waiting for them, disapproval on their faces.

“What the hell, guys? You dragged that asino out of there?” Symphony asked, gesturing towards the unconscious pony. “Are you crazy?”

“Aye, crazy, sure. He’d have died if we left him in there,” Sundial said, wiping her brow. “Why, is that a problem, lass?”

“Uh, yeah? I’m pretty sure he tried to kill us first. Would’ve served him right, listening to that other jackass and trying to pound my face in. For the record, I like my face.”

“I like your face too,” Bluebolt said with a half-smile, giving Symphony a brief kiss on the nose. “I’d have squashed him if he’d done anything to your face, songbird, don’t worry.”

“Maybe he did deserve it 'cause o’ all that, but I ain’t the kind o’ pony ta leave somepony ta die,” Bloom said, puffing out her chest confidently. “Don’t matter who they are, that just ain’t right. Right Sundial?”

Sundial shrugged and wiped her nose. “I just don’t want blood on my hooves, aye?”

“Well, whatever,” Bluebolt said, pointing at the unconscious pony. “What are we going to do with him now though?”

They didn’t have time to ponder this when the earth pony suddenly stirred with an almost silent groan. Symphony drew her longsword and pointed it at him as he got to his hooves, but she didn’t strike, not yet. She was clearly waiting for an excuse to do so though.

The earth pony, apparently unintimidated, looked between the quartet. Then, without a word, he slipped into the snow like a shadow and disappeared out of sight.

Symphony blinked, shaking her head. “Okay. What the hell just happened?”

“Anypony else as confused as I am right now?” Bluebolt asked, looking to the others.

Bloom raised her hoof. “Yeah, me. The hay was that all about? Not even so much as a ‘thank ya’.”

“See? Ungrateful asino,” Symphony snorted, spitting into the snow.

Sundial rolled her shoulders and put her pocket watch back into her coat pocket. “Forget about him. Better off not knowing what’s going through his head, aye? Let’s just get back ta the settlement,” she said, looking skyward. The snowstorm was picking up something fierce. “It’s almost nightfall, and we don’t want ta be outside when it is. C’mon.” She started off for the settlement in the distance.

The other three mares looked to one another, shrugged, then followed behind.