• Published 13th Jan 2020
  • 1,187 Views, 81 Comments

CRISIS: New World Order - GanonFLCL



Twenty-one years after returning from an adventure in an alternate Equestria, Rarity finds herself returning to that other world after a spell gone awry. Once again she must find her way home, but this time, things are a little different.

  • ...
3
 81
 1,187

Chapter One: Echoes

Rarity looked out onto the streets of Canterlot from the upper window of her new Carousel Boutique—a secondary location, really—located front and center in one of the busiest streets of the city’s fashion district. It was a bright sunny day today, a perfect summer afternoon with not a cloud in the sky, which also meant it was pleasantly warm outside, and the creatures that chose to show off their fashion sense did so with light, airy clothes in bright colors. Rarity was certain she saw one or two of her designs out there.

Even after twenty years, she still found it hard to believe how the city had grown and become populated by so many other creatures besides ponies, and how well they’d integrated at that. A griffin couple flew by just overhead and took a seat together on a cloud, clearly enamored with one another; a yak down on the corner chatted with a couple of earth ponies, likely an amusing discussion based on their uproarious laughing; a male hippogriff casually whistled at a female changeling that passed by… who then swiftly turned into a perfect imitation of the hippogriff and gave a rather rude gesture back.

With a sigh, Rarity turned from the window and returned to the task at hoof: packing her suitcase. A trip to the Crystal Empire demanded that she pack warm clothes, which included her favorite coat. A long trip was expected so she also had to pack for an extended stay, which meant extra outfits. It was also for royal business so she had to pack something fancy, just in case. A nice, long dress would do the trick. And that was on top of her dress-making supplies; some had already been packed and shipped, but she made sure to bring a few back-up essentials.

It was all very complicated, but she wasn’t about to refuse the offer she’d been given by Princess Cadence and Shining Armor. After all, it wasn’t every day somepony was asked to design a custom-tailored, personal dress for Princess Flurry Heart for her birthday, let alone for her upcoming coronation ceremony. It was an honor and a privilege. An honored privilege, even. Certainly a welcome change from the tedium of the past year.

Then, there came a knock at the front door. Rarity knew immediately who it was—she recognized that haphazard, nonsensical pattern anywhere, and she knew it wasn’t a client since the shop was closed today—so she took a moment to collect herself before heading downstairs to answer it.

At the door was a charcoal-black unicorn mare with a golden blonde mane styled in a long, wavy curl, her eyes a perfect mirror of Rarity’s own. “Like, hellooo, Rarity!” the other mare greeted with a too-wide smile, showing off her straightened teeth. “I hope I’m not, like, late or anything?”

“Not at all, Insipid,” Rarity said with a smile. “You’re here with plenty of time to spare, actually. Please, come on inside, make yourself at home.”

Insipid did just that, lugging a hefty suitcase along with her. Rarity marveled at the other mare’s appearance. When they’d first met, the other unicorn could hardly dress herself and had the style sense of a foal when it came to her mane and tail. These days, Insipid took very good care of her appearance. If anything, Rarity was a little jealous that Insipid’s mane hadn’t started graying like her own was, and suspected Insipid dyed hers.

Insipid let out a breath as she set down her suitcase. “So, okay, this was real spur-of-the-moment and junk, so, like, I’m super sorry if I brought a lot of stuff with me this time. I didn’t have time to put it in storage first, y’know?”

Rarity waved the thought off with her hoof. “Oh, it’s no trouble at all, darling. I appreciate you being able to make it on such short notice. I hope I’m not interrupting your convention tour or anything?”

“Pshaw, no way. I just got back from Manehatten Comic-Con, so I don’t have much else for, like, another few months? Cha.” Insipid suddenly brightened; Rarity could practically hear the excitement leaking out of the other mare. “Ooh ooh! Wait 'til you see what I got!”

Insipid hastily opened her suitcase and hoisted out a small box containing an action figure of Radiance, one of the Power Ponies. Insipid’s smile widened as she pointed at the box in excitement.

“Limited edition, Manehatten Comic-Con exclusive!” she boasted, pointing at the label that said just that. She then pointed at the signature on the side: White Diamond. Rarity recognized it as the actress that portrayed the character in the films. “Aaaand, I got it signed! By White Diamond herself! This thing is worth, like, a mint!

Rarity gave a polite smile; she wasn’t particularly interested in collectables or memorabilia like Insipid was, but it made the other mare happy and that was all that mattered. “Very impressive, darling. You must’ve worked hard to get that.”

“I’ll say! Oh boy, I cleaned house this year, Rarity. Like you wouldn’t believe. For. Sure. Ooh ooh, I even got something for Spike, look!”

Insipid hoisted out another box, this one with another action figure. Rarity recognized the earth pony mare depicted—with her deep blue coat and rich red mane—anywhere as Lapis Lazuli, the assassin-spy of the other popular superhero team sweeping through the film industry, the Marevengers. She recognized her more because of the actress portraying her: Curaçao.

“They, like, released the new figures early, exclusively at the convention! They don’t hit stores for another month!” Insipid said, bubbling over with excitement. “I got one for me, and one for Spike. I know Lapis Lazuli is his favorite. Mine too. Cha.”

Rarity gave a knowing smile. Curaçao was Insipid’s older sister, after all, so her giddiness was understandable. As for Spike, Rarity knew he had a huge crush on Curaçao. He’d never act on it, of course, since he was in a perfectly healthy relationship with Gabby.

“How is Curaçao, anyway?” Rarity asked as Insipid put the action figure away. “We hardly see her these days, though I don’t exactly blame her. I hear the Los Manegeles weather is simply wonderful this time of year.”

“Oh, yeah, it is, but she’s not there right now,” Insipid said matter-of-factly. “She’s up near Stalliongrad, actually. Has been for, uh… two months, I think? She sent me a postcard!”

“Stalliongrad, hmm? Filming, I take it?” Rarity didn’t keep up that much on the superhero movies, so Insipid and Spike were generally the only source of news she had on that front.

“Yup! She’s finally getting that solo movie, y’know? I’m, like, so totally stoked for her. The other fans are too! And the rest of our sisters, of course, duh.”

Rarity smiled. “That’s wonderful news, good for her. Well, I’m going to let you go ahead and get set up, darling. I have to finish packing. My train leaves in a few hours and I’m already dreadfully behind.” As she headed for the stairs, she paused and turned back for a brief moment. “And thank you again, Insipid. I appreciate this.”

“Like, no problem, for sure,” Insipid said with a nod, waving her hoof. “I love housesitting for you, you know that.”

Rarity smiled, then headed back upstairs to finish up while Insipid started unpacking her plethora of collectables.

*****

Rarity arrived at the train station just under an hour before her train was supposed to depart, cursing herself for nearly being late the entire way. Not that she’d miss the train, no, but that her friends that had been invited to see her off would be kept waiting. It was dreadfully tacky, and Rarity hated appearing tacky more than anything, but she knew they’d understand; fashionably late was always a tried-and-true excuse, after all.

As Rarity arrived on the train platform, she saw that not everypony had arrived yet; so far it was just Pinkie Pie and her “niece” Cheesecake, who were sitting patiently on a bench. As soon as Rarity came into view, the pair leapt up and started waving and cheering excitedly to get her attention, as if she’d somehow fail to notice them otherwise.

Pinkie kept her mane tied up in a sort of bun these days, but because of how much mane she had it was more accurately a beehive. Cheesecake was a delightful young filly, butter yellow with a curly, dark pink mane that she styled like her father’s, even if it was colored more closely to her mother’s.

Rarity approached the pair with a smile. “Pinkie, Cheesecake. So glad you two could make it. I know you’ve got a business to run, darling, but I do hate leaving town without saying proper goodbyes, you know?”

Pinkie giggled and waved the thought off with a hoof. “Don’t you worry one little hair in that pretty mane of yours. It’s no trouble at all being here to see you off! The bakery’s being taken care of for the afternoon, so it’s no biggie, really.”

Rarity smiled down at Cheesecake. “And thank you, too, for coming to see me off, Cheesecake. It’s always a pleasure to see you.”

“You’re welcome!” the little filly said, nodding excitedly, a wide smile on her face. Rarity always found it amusing how she took more after her father than her mother in that respect. “I’ve never been to the Crystal Empire before! Is it nice? I hear it’s cold up there. Is it cold up there?”

“Oh yes, very cold indeed, my dear,” Rarity said with a nod. “I had to pack my best coats just for the trip. It gets colder there than it does in Yakyakistan sometimes, but us ponies don’t have those big, heavy, natural coats like the yaks do.”

“Wow…”

“How are your parents, by the way?”

“Great! Dad’s got that new gig in Las Pegasus this week and Mom’s giving him all the support he needs! That’s why Auntie Pinkie is watching me.”

Rarity chuckled and gave Pinkie a knowing look. “It still amazes me that Red Velvet fell for Cheese Sandwich of all ponies. If it weren’t for Rainbow Dash, I’d be willing to bet money that he’d be a great match for you.”

Pinkie rolled her eyes but returned the smile. “Maybe in some other Equestria, maybe, but this one’s ours, thank you very much. Besides, he makes her laugh more than anypony I know, even me. I just knew the right way to her heart was a stallion that could make her laugh, y’know?”

“Yes yes, and we’re all very happy for her.”

Pinkie then returned the knowing look. “It doesn’t always have to be about being tall, dark, and handsome.”

Rarity rolled her eyes. “Speaking of Rainbow, though…” She glanced skyward briefly, just to be sure. “I assume she couldn’t make it?”

Pinkie shook her head. “Yeah, but she sends her regards. Which is a weird thing to say because you’re just going on a little trip, it’s not like you’re leaving Canterlot for-ev-er or something, sheesh. Worst case scenario is that you miss the next get-together.” She shrugged. “But yeah, Dashie’s got a Wonderbolts show in Fillydelphia tonight and has lots and lots of prep work to do, but no time to do it in. You’d understand that better than anypony.”

“I do. Still, that’s a shame. I wanted to ask her if she’d considered my suggestions for changes to the uniforms.”

“Well, Dashie’s not likely to take any suggestions on the official Wonderbolt uniforms… though you might be able to convince her to adjust the Academy uniforms. She could get you in touch with Briarthorn if you want?”

“No, that’s quite alright,” Rarity said, perhaps too quickly. “Besides, I’m sure he’s busy, too. Training the next generation of Wonderbolts can’t be easy when he’s got Rainbow Dash breathing down his neck for the top recruits.”

Rarity looked around the platform with a mild frown. “So… I don’t mean to sound ungrateful, but… is it just the two of you, then? I mean, I didn’t expect anypony to come all the way here from Ponyville just to see me off, but...”

“I’m pretty sure it’s not just me,” Pinkie said, tilting her head. “Didn’t Twilight get back to you?”

“She did, and she said she’d be here, but—”

“Sorry! Sorry we’re late!” called Spike from behind them.

Rarity turned and smiled as Spike—now a big, hulking dragon with a distinguished jawline—came practically flying towards Rarity and Pinkie. He was nearly out of breath. Had he run and flown here all the way from the palace?

“So sorry we’re late,” he huffed. “Last moment issue popped up, you understand. Princess Twilight sent me ahead to make sure you knew we didn’t forget.”

“It’s no problem at all,” Rarity said with a slight smile. “The train isn’t leaving just yet, so there’s plenty of time.”

“Okay, okay, phew,” Spike breathed. He stood upright and puffed out his chest a little. Rarity knew it wasn’t for her benefit, not these days, but he seemed to do it out of habit. “So, uh… yeah. Here I am, to see you off. I know you’re only going up north for a little while and all, but—”

“We already had this conversation,” Pinkie giggled. “You know how Rarity is, though. Always a flair for the dramatic, and there’s nothing more dramatic than having your friends see you off at the train station. If this were a movie, this would be prime time for a lot of gushy moments, y’know?” she added, giving Spike a sidelong glance and a wink.

Spike stared at Pinkie, bewildered. “What?”

“Oh, nothing, don’t mind me.”

“Incidentally, Spike, do be sure to drop by the boutique before you go back to the palace,” Rarity said. “Insipid’s in town, and apparently she has a surprise for you.”

“Really? What?”

“If I told you, it wouldn’t be a surprise, now would it? At any rate… you said ‘we’, darling?” Rarity said, looking behind Spike for additional company. “So Twilight is coming?”

“Yeah, she’ll be here any—” A loud murmur swept through the crowd behind him; Spike’s mouth broke into a knowing grin. “Aha, and there she is. Always drawing a crowd, that Princess.”

Rarity smiled as she caught sight of Princess Twilight Sparkle, in all her radiant glory, striding towards her with purpose. Rarity would never get used to Twilight being so tall these days, especially compared to when they’d first met, but she supposed it came with the territory of being the alicorn princess. She looked properly regal and everything with that crown and those hoof ornaments. Rarity was more surprised actually that Twilight didn’t have any guards with her, but then this wasn’t exactly official royal business.

By Twilight’s side was, as usual, Starlight Shadow, still a unicorn despite some attempts many years back to “pull a Twilight”—Pinkie’s words, not hers—and still as stuffy and formal as ever. The dark purple unicorn kept her pink-and-purple mane in a tight bun these days, and wore a thick pair of horn-rimmed glasses and a sharp dress suit.

Twilight smiled and quickened her pace when she caught sight of Rarity. “Rarity! So sorry we’re late, but a little issue came up last minute and we had to get it addressed. You know how it is.”

“It’s quite alright, darling, no harm done. Spike told me already.”

“Are you excited? I hear this is a pretty big project you’ve got ahead of you. I know I’d be nervous if I were in the same position as you.”

You, darling? I haven’t seen you get particularly nervous in years, not since your coronation ceremony, and this seems below what would elicit your sort of nervousness. Though it’s a welcome change from how you were when we first met, always panicking over the tiniest little thing.”

Twilight chuckled. “Yes, well, every now and then I still wonder if I’m really meant for this position, you know? I’m glad I have all of you to help me, but still, it’s a lot more… well, everything than I ever expected it would be.”

“You’re doing just fine, dear. Trust me. And don’t you worry, I’ll make sure your precious niece has the loveliest dress in all the world for her coronation, just like I did for you and yours.”

Twilight gave a little smile. “I know you will. Cadence and Shining wouldn’t have asked for you if they expected anything less.”

Rarity turned to Shadow and gave her a brief nod. “Shadow.”

Rarity still, after all these years, found it odd referring to Twilight’s counterpart by her last name, especially considering Shadow had once done the same to be condescending to Twilight—addressing her as “Sparkle” when they weren’t exactly friends—but there it was.

Discord, in all his tact and awareness, explained that it felt awkward calling her Starlight considering there was another pony named Starlight Glimmer running around and who was technically the proper owner of the Starlight monicker. Why a mare that just happened to be married to Twilight’s favorite scholar, Sunburst, took precedence didn’t make much sense. Discord said that even though Starlight Shadow had already taken “Glim-Glam’s” role in the story as the “anti-Twilight who turns good”, she was still non-canonical, and canon characters always take precedence, no matter what.

Rarity hadn’t understood it twenty years ago, and she didn’t understand it now, but she supposed that came with the territory of alternate universes. Pinkie seemed to get it at least, and Shadow didn’t seem to really care.

Shadow nodded back and adjusted her glasses. “Rarity.”

“I’m surprised you were able to make it,” Rarity continued. “You’re a hard mare to get in touch with sometimes.”

“Yes, well, the headmare of the School for Gifted Unicorns is permitted at least a modicum of ‘personal leave’ from time to time, wouldn’t you agree?”

“I would figure you’d have plenty of time for that in the summer, actually. Aren’t the students all on vacation?”

“Not all of them. A proper education never takes a hiatus, and a few particular students seem to share that sentiment,” Shadow said with a proud smirk. “I think this year is going to be one of the finest graduating classes yet.”

She briefly turned to Twilight. “Though I do wish to have a conversation with you about one particular student, Luster Dawn? Her grades are tremendously above-average, but her extracurriculars are… well, lacking.”

“Ah, and let me guess, you think we need another ‘Ponyville’ treatment?” Twilight asked with a knowing grin.

“It has consistently proven effective in past endeavors, so that would likely be the ideal course of action.” Shadow then looked at Rarity, and cleared her throat. “Apologies, I shouldn’t be discussing work at the moment.”

Rarity smiled. “It’s quite alright, darling, I completely understand what it’s like to get lost in your work.”

Shadow looked amongst the group and nodded again. “Hmm. Yes, this should be everypony, if my assessments are correct.”

Rarity raised an eyebrow. “Pardon?”

“I took the liberty of confirming with the others you invited on their status shortly before my scheduled rendezvous with the ever-so-busy Princess Twilight. An expeditious visit to Ponyville confirmed that we will not have any additional guests, regrettably.”

“I see. Well, that is unfortunate, but I suppose it couldn’t be helped. Ponyville’s not exactly a short trip from Canterlot, after all.”

“Everypony does send their regards, of course, and wishes you luck in your affairs to the north,” Shadow continued.

Twilight looked off in the general direction of Ponyville, which could just barely be seen in the valley far below the train station, a wistful look in her eyes. “How is everypony, by the way? It feels like ages since I visited Ponyville…”

“I cannot account for any differences between your previous visit and today, so I will make a very basic assumption that not all that much as changed. They’re all in good health and spirits, if that was the intention of your inquiry.”

Twilight sighed. “Yes… I suppose it was.”

Shadow then turned to Cheesecake and gave a wide smile, leaning down to accept a hug. Rarity was always a little amused to see Starlight Shadow genuinely happy, not just her usual cocksure self. Despite the mare being a well-meaning and dedicated workaholic with all the warmth of an ice cube, she immediately let down her guard to become a doting aunt the moment her nieces were around, Cheesecake and Gala Apple both.

“And there’s my little niece! How are you, Cheesecake?” Shadow cooed; in her doting aunt mode, she clearly didn’t dare to use difficult words directly.

Cheesecake beamed and leapt up into Shadow’s hooves, rubbing her cheek against the older mare’s. “Just peachy, Auntie Shadow!”

Shadow hugged her niece tight, then turned to Pinkie, her expression suddenly serious again. “If you are available this evening, Pinkie, I would relish the opportunity to partake in a dinner arrangement with you and Cheesecake.”

Pinkie smiled wide. “Of course! Always room for one more at the table, especially with Dashie out of town.”

Everypony’s attention was drawn when the train gave a loud whistle. A conductor stepped out of the train and called: “All aboooard for the Crystal Empire! Have your tickets ready, please!”

Rarity took a deep breath. “Well, I must be off then. Thank you all so much for coming. I’ll be back in about a month, hopefully before our next get-together. Don’t delay it on my account, though—I’ll be there in spirit, you know that.”

She gave everypony present a warm, thankful hug, then waved farewell as she hoisted her suitcase with her and boarded the train.

*****

As the train chugged its way along the snow-covered tracks leading towards the Crystal Empire, Rarity stared out the window with a despondence otherwise uncharacteristic of her. She only ever got like this around wintertime, but the Crystal Empire, with all its snow and ice, did much the same to her as the winter snowfall back in Canterlot and Ponyville did. She wouldn’t go so far as to say she hated the snow. She actually rather enjoyed it, if she was being honest with herself. But that was neither here nor there, really. All that mattered was that the sight of snow made her sad, and the sight of such great swaths of it here in the north even moreso.

With a heavy sigh, she opened her suitcase and took out her best coat that she had packed, a lovely blue affair with a silvery faux-ermine collar and a diamond clasp. Even looking at her favorite coat in this context made her sad, and she almost wished she’d never designed it to be so robust. It was suited for the worst cold she could imagine—and she could imagine quite a bit—so she sometimes wore it even when it wasn’t winter, despite the fact that it reminded her just as much of her wintertime sorrows as the snow did.

Twenty-one years. It had been twenty-one long, lonely years since she’d last seen him, and Rarity still found it amazing that even after all that time, he could still have this significant of an effect on her despite the impossible distance between them. She was reminded of the snows of his homeland; of the exquisite fur cloak he wore; of his eloquent poetic prose and charming demeanor; of his warm breath and wonderfully rugged smell; of the one and only night of passion they’d shared all those years ago. And still she could not get him out of her mind no matter how hard she tried.

She cursed herself every single time she thought of him. There was no way that he was doing the same for her, she thought. He was at the top of his social class; he was a hero, a knight, and practically royalty; he was rugged, handsome, and dashing to a fault. Some young mare had likely attracted his attention years ago and he probably had foals of his own by now. But not her.

Oh, she’d tried. She’d tried. But every stallion she’d dated in the few years following that otherworldly adventure had just proven inferior to him on the whole. If one stallion was as handsome as he was, they weren’t as suave or brave; if a stallion was as complementary and kind, he wasn’t quite as eloquent or charming. There wasn’t anypony that quite met Rarity’s now-impossible standards. And so, for twenty-one years, Rarity had been… alone. Sure, she had her friends. She had her family. But she was missing something, and she just knew she’d never fill that void in her life.

It was enough to gray her mane earlier than any of her friends, even Applejack, whose stress-fueled life should’ve done in her looks ages ago. But then again, Applejack had Flathoof for a husband, and three lovely kids of her own who all worked on the farm with her every single day. She’d never in a million years understand what Rarity was going through.

Pinkie and Rainbow wouldn’t understand either, as they were happily married, too. Curaçao wouldn’t understand, as she was a celebrity and could have any mare she wanted, and apparently had plenty to spare if the tabloids were true. Twilight and Shadow wouldn’t understand, as the former didn’t have the time or inclination for that sort of thing, and the latter had decidedly come out as aromantic and asexual years ago. Velvet definitely wouldn’t understand, as she’d fallen in and out of love so many times until she met Cheese Sandwich that it wasn’t funny, and now even she was happily married with a daughter of her own.

Even ponies that Rarity was certain weren’t interested in that sort of thing turned out to not only be interested, but against all odds successful, and that just made Rarity feel worse. Grayscale Force, the most apathetic, uninterested, downright stoic mare she’d ever met, was married to Big Macintosh of all ponies, with a daughter of her own. Insipid was always rambling on about the newest coltfriend she had, even if she couldn’t keep them for more than a few months because she lost interest. Even Havocwing was going steady with some cute stallion back in Ponyville, even if she deliberately avoiding giving a name—rumors told Rarity it was somepony much younger than she was, which was probably the only way to find a stallion that fit her specific tastes at her age.

Only Fluttershy might understand, but that was a stretch, even for Rarity. Sure, Rarity knew there was a place somewhere in the far, far back of Fluttershy’s mind that still loved Lockwood despite everything that had happened, but she had moved past that tremendously well. She was apparently dating someone nowadays, though Rarity still didn’t know who. She did know they weren’t a pony, though.

As Rarity let her thoughts ramble on and on again, the train gave a slight lurch as it slowed down to pull into the station. She hadn’t even noticed how close they were, so lost was she in her own mind. With another sigh, she closed her suitcase and headed for the train exit.

When she disembarked, she was not expecting to have any sort of welcome wagon, not even from Princess Cadence—this wasn’t exactly a formal visit or anything quite like that, just a favor for a friend—so Rarity was quite surprised to see that she had three unlikely ponies waiting for her: Scootaloo, Apple Bloom, and her sister Sweetie Belle. The trio had grown into well-figured and well-respected adults, and she couldn’t have been more proud of them for it, though it was still a surprise that they’d come all this way to welcome her.

“Hey sis!” Sweetie Belle greeted. She, and the others, were dressed in warm, colorful jackets.

“Sweetie? What are you doing here?” Rarity asked, stepping off the train and trotting over to the trio. “Rather, what are the three of you doing here? I was wondering why I couldn’t get in touch with any of you.”

“Well, you know that we like to travel every summer when school’s out, right?” Scootaloo asked.

“I am aware, yes. Is that what this is, a vacation?”

“Ain’t nothin’ like that,” Apple Bloom said with a grin. “Naw, we’re here fer a good reason. Just 'cause we’re all grown up now don’t mean we can’t help ponies realize their talents 'n' dreams, right?”

“Yeah! A Cutie Mark Crusader’s job is never done!” Sweetie said proudly, pumping her hoof in the air. “CMCs for life!”

“Hear hear!” Bloom cheered, pressing her hoof to Sweetie’s.

Scootaloo did the same. “Cutie Mark Crusader Philanthropists! Yeah!”

Sweetie gave Scootaloo a proud grin. “Philanthropists? Wow, Scoots, that’s a big word coming from you.”

“Psh, I’ve just been brushing up on my vocabulary. Why, you jealous?”

“As if,” Bloom chuckled.

“So… you’re here helping ponies then?” Rarity asked, still very much confused.

Bloom shifted her eyes back and forth, as if watching to make sure nopony was listening. “Not just anypony.”

“We’re helping Princess Flurry Heart,” Sweetie said quietly, tapping her hooves excitedly.

Rarity raised an eyebrow. “Really now? Helping her with what?”

“Her ‘Princess Problem’,” Scootaloo said, making the air quotes with her wings.

“Her… her what?”

“It’s like this, sis,” Sweetie said, putting her hoof on Rarity’s shoulder. “Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were Princesses of the Sun and Moon, right?”

“Right.”

“And Princess Twilight is the Princess of Friendship, right?” Scootaloo continued.

“Yes?”

“An’ Princess Cadence is the Princess o’ Love, right?” Bloom asked.

Rarity rolled her eyes. “Yes yes, get to the point, girls.”

Sweetie smiled. “Well, what’s Princess Flurry Heart the Princess of?”

Rarity opened her mouth to answer, then paused in thought. For the life of her, she didn’t know the answer to the question.

Sweetie tapped her sister’s chest. “See? That’s the ‘Princess Problem’. Flurry doesn’t know what she’s supposed to be the Princess of.”

“So we’re here trying to help her figure it out!” Scootaloo said, puffing out her chest. “It’s been rough, but we’re narrowing things down, I think.”

“And what exactly called your attention to this… ‘problem’?” Rarity asked.

“Oh, we’re here at the request of Princess Twilight herself,” Sweetie said with a proud grin.

“An’ don’t forget Headmare Shimmer,” Bloom noted. “She cleared us ta take off fer the summer after all.”

Scootaloo nodded. “Yeah, we’re not teaching any summer friendship classes this year. So thank Princess Twilight and Headmare Shimmer for us being here, I guess? And we’re happy to be here too, right girls?”

“Right!” Sweetie and Bloom said together.

Rarity smiled as she pondered this. She knew that even though Twilight had likely put in the “official” request to the three, it was almost certainly Princess Cadence that had requested Twilight’s aid in the first place. With Flurry’s own coronation coming up, and with this “Princess Problem” in place, the poor young mare was probably stressed out beyond belief trying to find her place in the world. Rarity being here was likely intended for more than just making a dress.

Rarity then pulled her sister in for a hug. “That sounds amazing, Sweetie. That’s very nice of you three to do. If there’s anypony that can help Princess Flurry Heart, it’s the Cutie Mark Crusaders.” She looked between the trio. “So, I take it you’ve heard why I’m here then?”

“O’ course!” Bloom said. “Princess Cadence asked fer ya ta come up 'n' get Princess Flurry all fitted out fer a fancy dress 'n' whatnot, right?”

“That’s right. Speaking of which, shall we get a move on?” Rarity asked, gesturing off towards the palace in the distance. “No sense in standing out here in the snow longer than we have to, and I have a lot of things to arrange before I get started.”

“Right!” the younger mares all said together, giving each other looks. “Jinx!”

*****

It was a few days later when Rarity finally got Flurry Heart in for a fitting. The young princess had been quite busy with a few things at the behest of her mother, as well as continuing to seek help for her “Problem”, but Rarity didn’t mind the wait, as it gave her time to make sure she had everything ready. Besides, it wouldn’t take more than an hour or so to get Flurry all measured and get some sense of what she would want in a dress. Rarity didn’t know her as well as she knew Twilight, for example, so trying to make Flurry a dress on a whim wasn’t quite as simple.

Flurry Heart had grown up tremendously in twenty years into a healthy, lovely alicorn mare with a thin, pleasing frame much like her mother’s. She’d taken to parting her bi-colored mane down the middle—lilac on the left, pink on the right—and styling it with waves and curls. She’d gotten her cutie mark, of course, an odd combination of both her parents’: a golden, heart-shaped shield overlaid with a heart-shaped blue diamond.

Cadence and Shining Armor liked to remind Twilight and her friends constantly that they hadn’t intended on having kids so early, but their second honeymoon after the “incident” twenty-one years prior had made it impossible for them to avoid jumpstarting that plan by a year or so. If not for that whole adventure playing out exactly as it did, Flurry Heart would likely be only about eighteen now, maybe younger, and Rarity wouldn’t necessarily even be here in the Crystal Empire today. It was funny how things worked out.

At any rate, Rarity took the princess’s measurements in her makeshift boutique, which Cadence had allowed her to set up in a larger guest room—Rarity slept elsewhere, of course—helped along by the Cutie Mark Crusaders and Princess Cadence herself. The latter, to Rarity’s confusion, hadn’t quite gone through the same “growth spurt” that Twilight had in her transition to Equestria’s ruler; she was still a little taller than before, but not quite at Twilight’s height yet. Rarity figured that it was because Cadence only ruled the Crystal Empire, but that hardly seemed fair. Then again, Luna had always been shorter than Celestia, so maybe there was more to it than that?

Rarity was quick with the measurements, naturally—she was a professional after all, and was already quite well-acquainted with alicorn anatomy to make the process easier—so once she was done, the group was able to relax while Rarity began taking notes on what sort of design Flurry would look best in. She took a seat by the window, Flurry taking a seat opposite her, Cadence seated nearby. The Crusaders busied themselves assisting Rarity with previewing materials, patterns, and anything else she needed.

The Crusaders were still dressed in their jackets, while Rarity was wearing her favorite coat today; Flurry was undressed for the measurements and was used to the cold anyway, so she didn’t put anything else on in the meantime; Cadence only wore her typical royal attire of her crown and hoof ornaments.

Rarity wished she hadn’t sat near the window, however. There was a rather heavy snowfall outside the palace right now, and it just served as a distraction. She remembered a day so many years ago where she trudged through a snowfall just like this, accompanied by the most wonderful stallion she’d ever met in her life. Oh, and Twilight, Lockwood, and Insipid had been there as well, naturally, but that was neither here nor there.

More and more memories started flooding through at just that one moment of recollection. She remembered Flathoof and Briarthorn coming back from a short visit to their homeworld, bringing back with them a little video of the wedding of Queen Blackburn and now-King Lockwood for all their friends to view. Rarity couldn’t help but offer a critique of Blackburn’s wedding dress at the time as it was much too masculine, even for her.

She wondered if he had attended the wedding. Though she’d never tell anypony, she secretly wished that Tick Tock had taken more video of the crowd than of the royal couple sharing their vows, perhaps, just so she could see him one more time, maybe even have something to look at when she was lonely on these cold winter nights.

Cadence, of course, apparently noticed that Rarity had gone off into her own little world for quite a long time. “Rarity?” she asked, putting her hoof on Rarity’s shoulder. “Is everything alright?”

Rarity looked at her blankly, drawn from her daydream only just. “Hmm?” She shook her head, realizing what had happened, terribly embarrassed. “Oh… oh, yes, everything’s fine.”

“Are you sure? You’ve been awfully distracted as of late.”

“Whatever do you mean?”

“Well, just now you were staring out the window and barely paying any attention to your notebook,” Cadence said, gesturing towards Rarity’s notes, which were rather sloppy. They almost looked like doodles, actually, not of an alicorn mare as would be expected for somepony taking notes on Flurry’s figure, but of a zebra stallion.

Rarity cleared her throat and flipped the page. “Oh… oh, I’m so sorry. Forgive me, I—”

“Not to mention,” Flurry added, tilting her head, “you’ve been rather… um, ‘distant’ when sharing meals with us. I think that’s the right word for it.”

Cadence nodded. “That’s right, you seemed pretty preoccupied while we were at breakfast this morning, just staring out the window like you have been every day since you got here, and every time you come to visit with Twilight and the others. Is there something out there that’s got your attention? Should we be worried?” With a coy grin, she added. “It’s not Sombra again, is it?”

Rarity frowned. “No, nothing quite like that. Sorry, I just… I was remembering the past, is all. The snow reminds me of… of something from a very long time ago.”

Sweetie frowned and gave her sister a sad, sympathetic look, a hoof over her heart. “Oh, Rarity… still?”

Apple Bloom raised an eyebrow. “Still what?”

“It’s nothing dear,” Rarity said, shooting Sweetie a quick, quieting glare.

“No, I’m afraid it isn’t ‘nothing’,” Cadence said, shaking her head. “Every time I see you staring out that window, I get a very certain sense about you. And believe me when I say that I know quite well what that sense is: love.”

Rarity fidgeted uncomfortably in her seat and turned back towards the window. “I don’t want to say you’re mistaken… but it’s more complicated than that.”

“You’re absolutely right. It is more complicated. This isn’t just love. This is… longing.” Cadence put a hoof on Rarity’s shoulder. “You’re pining for someone. It’s so strong that I can feel it in the air around you, in your ‘aura’. I don’t usually pick up on it so clearly unless I’m actively trying to detect it, but you… you’re giving off that vibe like nothing I’ve felt from anypony else before. And it’s not the first time I’ve felt it from you, either.”

“The snow reminds you of him, whoever he is?” Flurry asked, a sad smile on her face.

Rarity remained silent for a moment, then nodded. “It does.” She abruptly rose from her seat. “I’m sorry, I think I need a break—”

Cadence rose as well. “Rarity, please. You are my guest here, and there’s no need to be ashamed of anything.”

“That’s not it. I’m letting it affect my work, darling. I think it would be best if I take a break. I promise I’ll be back in tune after I just take a moment to… to think, and collect myself. Maybe a… cold shower will do the trick.”

Cadence and Flurry shared a brief look, then Cadence cleared her throat. “Rarity… I don’t think a cold shower is going to be of any help to you. Not really. A short term solution, maybe. You might come back in an hour or so feeling refreshed, but what about tonight when you look out onto the fields of snow outside?”

“That’s—”

“Or the next day, while you’re working on the dress? You’ll be staring out that window at the falling snow, and you’ll become distracted, again, and maybe you’ll make a mistake here or there because of it. Then you’ll get mad at yourself for the mistakes. Then you’ll get mad at yourself for getting distracted. Then you’ll get mad at yourself for why you’re distracted.”

Rarity paused. Cadence had hit the nail on the head, precisely. Many a winter had passed where she’d gotten horribly behind on projects because of absent-minded daydreams distracting her from doing a proper job like she’d do the rest of the year, and every time she did, she cursed herself for being a stupid, lovesick filly.

Sweetie stepped forward. “Sis… you’ve been doing this to yourself since I was still in Miss Cheerliee’s class, before I even got my cutie mark.”

Cadence paused, then looked back at Rarity. “I see… I always suspected something was off whenever we all got together, but I never said anything. I didn’t realize it was quite this bad, but now that we’re somewhat alone…”

Rarity hung her head. “Look, I really should just take a breather, then we can all get back to work, business as usual. Just put this all behind us—”

“Have you told anypony else about this?”

“No, because it’s nopony else’s business,” Rarity said, narrowing her eyes. “Nopony would even understand if I did tell them. Hmm? All of my friends either have somepony else to share their love with, or have no interest or concern for anything of the sort. They wouldn’t understand.”

“You could tell me. I’d understand,” Cadence said with a friendly smile. “I’m the Princess of Love. I understand all things romantic, be it schoolyard crushes or star-crossed longing… so I understand.”

Rarity paused, then shook her head. “That’s all well and good—”

“And I can help you.”

Rarity looked at Cadence, wide-eyed. “What?”

“I can help you. If you’ll let me.”

“...how?”

“With the right application of my magic, I can grant you a… let’s call it a ‘vision’ of this star-crossed lover of yours,” Cadence said with a genuine, sympathetic smile. “Those feelings of longing that you have will all come together in one clear moment… and then erase that longing from your conscious mind. You will still feel that longing, certainly, but it will suppress itself until you are asleep. It will not affect you so strongly.”

Rarity tilted her head, curious. “So… I will dream of him, but I won’t be distracted during my day-to-day work? Is that what you’re saying?”

“That’s the basic gist of it, yes.”

Bloom leaned over to Sweetie. “I’ve still got no idea what’s happenin’...” she whispered.

Sweetie whispered back: “My sister fell in love with someone from that other world they all went to all those years ago, just like your sister did with Flathoof. Only Rarity’s lover didn’t come here with her like Flathoof did for Applejack… and she’s still not over him.”

“After twenty-one years?” Bloom frowned. “Aww… poor Rarity…”

Rarity took a breath and looked at Cadence with sincere confusion. “I… I don’t know. I don’t want to risk forgetting him. I know it hurts at times… but sometimes it’s all I have.”

“You won’t, trust me.” Cadence put her hoof over Rarity’s heart. “He will still be here, in your heart. In your subconscious. You won’t forget him… but your longing for him will not affect your day-to-day as I’ve seen it.”

“My mom’s an expert when it comes to these sorts of things,” Flurry said proudly, standing up and taking up a spot next to Sweetie and Apple Bloom. “If she says she can help you with a love problem, you can trust her to do everything she can to help.”

Rarity pondered this for a long moment, looking at Flurry, then to Sweetie, then back to Cadence. “Okay… okay, I’ll do it.”

Cadence smiled, and gestured for Rarity to join her at the center of the room; Rarity did so. Sweetie and Scootalo stood off to one side; Bloom and Flurry stood off to the other.

“Close your eyes,” Cadence said, lighting up her horn. Rarity again did as she was asked. “Clear your mind of everything: every thought, every worry, every distraction. Focus on my voice…”

Rarity took a deep breath and relaxed, focusing solely on Cadence’s voice as was asked. It felt like going into a sort of trance. She couldn’t hear the shifting movements of the others in the room, or the wind outside the window, or even her own heartbeat.

“Now… think of your love. Picture his face in your mind. Remember the sound of his voice...”

Rarity let her thoughts wander. She could see his face in her mind. A handsome, rugged zebra stallion with a long, wild mane that wouldn’t be out of place on the cover of one of Rarity’s romance novels. She could hear his voice in her head, cultured, elegant, poised, as he spoke the last thing she heard him say:

And I, thee, my fair mare of white, my heart acheth to see thy flight.

Rarity’s own heart ached tremendously. She still remembered those words down to the inflection of every last syllable, but now his voice was clear as day in her ears. It hurt more than it helped, really.

This had the unintended effect of breaking Cadence’s enchantment early. Even Cadence seemed surprised. “Hmm…” Cadence murmured, shaking her head. “That’s odd. That shouldn’t have happened.”

Rarity took a deep breath. She was desperately holding back tears, unsure if they were of joy or sorrow. “I’m sorry… I’m sorry, it just… I heard him. I heard him so clearly, and… and I…”

Cadence nodded in understanding. “This is worse than I thought. I think I underestimated your feelings.” She turned to Flurry with a slight smile. “Flurry, honey, would you mind lending me some assistance?”

Flurry pointed at herself, confused. “Me?”

“Yes, honey. You and I share a bond that can help empower my spell. You can help me help her.”

Apple Bloom smiled and set a hoof on Flurry’s shoulder. “Go on, Flurry, I believe in ya.”

Flurry took a breath and nodded, then lit her own horn; Cadence’s horn’s glow tripled in luster.

Cadence looked to Rarity. “Let’s try again. Close your eyes, and focus…”

Rarity let out a deep breath, then nodded, and closed her eyes. Again, she could see his face in her mind, clearer than before, clear as if he was right there in the room with her. His words spoke into her ear, almost a whisper, sending a shudder down her spine.

These past days hath been a great boon, pity that they must end so soon.

Rarity gritted her teeth. The image of her love faltered for a brief moment, and her ears were silent again as she chided herself for letting things happen the way they did. She knew well enough that he couldn’t have come with her—Rarity knew that everything that had happened before she left would have far-reaching consequences for him and his kind, and he needed to stay and guide them through it. She cursed herself more that she had let him into her heart, and that he’d let her into his. She had no way of knowing then that it would lead to over twenty years of heartache.

But Rarity stayed resolute, cleared her mind of those doubts again. Cadence was trying to help, and she was willing to accept it. She would not falter again, and so his image cleared up once more, and his words spoke true in her ears as before.

Mine eyes shalt gaze to stars above, in remembrance of our deep love.

Rarity shuddered in delight as his words echoed through her. She didn’t know the details of Cadence’s spell, but the effect it had made him seem as real as if he were right there in the room with her, just like she remembered him. In her mind’s eye, she was young again, like she’d been when she saw him last. She could almost feel the heat of his breath on her neck, almost smell his rugged scent in her nose. His memory was as intoxicating now as he was in reality. Her horn glowed dimly as she desperately willed her mind’s eye to reach out to him, to feel his touch on her body again.

Cadence smiled knowingly, and touched her horn against Rarity’s. “Keep the thoughts of your love in your mind. He will always be with you.”

Rarity’s horn ignited all on its own at Cadence’s touch. For a fleeting moment, everypony in the room saw a faint glow fill the air, taking the form of a zebra stallion clad in leather armor and a fur coat, a great blade strapped to his back. He stood where Cadence did now, occupying her space like a ghostly whisper, his eyes full of passion and love as he looked upon Rarity.

Rarity smiled gently. “Zircon…”

She reached her hoof out to touch him, her horn glowing brighter by the second, and Cadence’s with it. To the surprise of the others in the room, he reached out towards her as well. And when she touched him, for the briefest, most fleeting instant, Rarity was certain that he looked… different. Older. Still as handsome as ever, but older, as if twenty years had passed in an instant. His expression changed with it; from loving and kind, it became confused. He made to speak.

That’s when the unexpected happened.

There came a booming sound like a thunderclap that erupted through the room, and without warning, the image of Zircon vanished into the air above Cadence and Rarity. The exact point where he disappeared tore open to reveal a black void filled with swirling stars. Within an instant, a fierce wind swept through the room, threatening to pull everything that wasn’t tied down into the tear, be they loose papers and fabrics, measuring tape, pens and pencils, etc.

And, of course, ponies.

Scootaloo, ever the athlete, had a superb reaction time and was able to grab onto Sweetie Belle with one hoof while grabbing onto a pillar with the other. Apple Bloom was quick enough to grab Flurry by the tail with her mouth, but didn’t have anything to grab on to in order to ground herself, and was slowly being dragged forward as she tried to keep Flurry from being dragged upward. Cadence and Rarity did their best to keep themselves grounded, but the latter was having some difficulty doing so.

Rarity, incidentally, stared up into the tear with a dreadful, terrified sense of déjà vu. “Oh no…”

“What’s going on?! What happened?!” Scootaloo yelled, her voice barely carrying over the din of the rift’s shrieking energies.

“What the hay is that thing?!” Sweetie cried, desperately holding onto Scootaloo’s hoof for dear life.

“I don’t know!” Cadence yelled back. “Just hang on, everypony! I’m going to try to close it!”

Cadence lit her horn before Rarity could tell her not to: “No don’t!” she shouted, too late.

As soon as Cadence tried to affect the tear with magic, the situation worsened excessively. The tear got bigger, and the force of wind drawing everything in got stronger. Cadence herself was hit with a sudden jolt of feedback and was thrown hard against the wall, briefly losing consciousness. The chairs were too hefty to get sucked in, but even they started to jostle and shake as they moved across the floor; the windows shook and the glass started to crack; the walls themselves trembled, as if the entire room was going to be torn apart.

A bare ponyquin got sucked across the room and slammed right into Apple Bloom. She lost her footing and, with a yelp, she was lifted sharply into the air. Rarity was the only one close enough to grab her, and just managed to grasp onto Bloom’s hind leg with her hooves, knowing magic would just make it worse. She struggled to keep her grip, struggled to maintain her own footing, but she wasn’t strong enough. Even in her prime, Rarity knew she hadn’t been strong enough to prevent something like this from happening once before.

Rarity glanced over at Sweetie and Scootaloo, who were just barely hanging on. She then glanced up at the tear in the air above her and closed her eyes. As the air around them was filled with the sound of another loud thunderclap, Rarity lost her own footing. Sweetie Belle lit her horn and tried to grab onto Rarity, but as soon as her magic entered into the rift’s field, the tear widened yet again, and, like Cadence, Sweetie was hit with an intense feedback through her horn and was knocked back into Scootaloo.

Rarity, Apple Bloom, and Flurry Heart were sucked up and away through the tear, the latter two screaming in terror all the while. Rarity merely accepted it with quiet dignity.

The instant Rarity passed into the rift, she saw it shrink down to nothing. Nothing and nopony else came through.

*****

A great blizzard swept across the normally-green, grassy plains of the Great Expanse, a vast, aptly-named stretch of perfectly-flat land that covered over half of the northern continent. Many ponies braved the Great Expanse these days, but not now, not in the winter season when the blizzards were nearly deadly for anypony not well-equipped to travel through it. Three such ponies did so now despite the danger, trudging through the harsh snow with slow, plodding steps: a unicorn and two pegasi, all mares, each wearing a small set of saddlebags at their sides.

One of the pegasi led the group at the front. She had a sea green coat and a dark red mane and tail that she kept tightly braided. She wore a heavy black plaid coat over her top, a balmoral bonnet on her head, and a pleated red plaid kilt over her flank, just barely showing her cutie mark: a sundial that, despite the sun being covered up by thick clouds, accurately showed the current time. She was older than the other two, but only by a few years.

The other pegasus trailed just behind her, head held high. She was ash gray with a long, wavy, blue mane. She wore a long, thick, brown jacket with a high collar, as well as a green and gold scarf wrapped tightly around her neck and mouth. Her cutie mark was barely visible beneath her jacket: a blue lightning bolt over a golden crown.

The unicorn took up the rear, her pearl white coat blending well with the surrounding snow. Her mane was perfectly fluffy and curled, despite the winds, and colored pink and blue. She wore a long, thick, black coat, and carried a sheathed longsword strapped to her back and a sheathed rapier at her side. Her cutie mark was a red heart with three black musical notes inside.

As the trio continued trudging through the snow, the lead pegasus suddenly stopped dead in her tracks as they approached a large rock, and pulled a small pocket watch from her coat pocket. She popped it open, noting that it was glowing a dull green. She eyed it suspiciously as the green started to slowly—agonizingly slowly—get just a little bit brighter, then a little bit more.

“Why’d we stop?” the second pegasus asked, stepping forward to get a better look. “You got something, Sundial?”

“Aye. The readings are rising fast.” The lead pegasus—Sundial—turned to the other two mares and gave them a stern look. “Stay behind me, lassies, and don’t do anything stupid, aye?”

“Yeah, got it,” said the other pegasus, sticking behind Sundial but keeping her eyes open. “So, this is what your job’s like, huh? Just wandering around until you pick up a reading on that watch of yours?”

“Och, not always, but sealing up Void rifts is a pretty constant thing these days, sad ta say,” Sundial grumbled as she watched her pocket watch glow brighter by the second. “Usually I don’t have company though, so this is a wee bit different.”

“That’s what happens when we’re the only ponies on the globe that tolerate you,” chuckled the unicorn as she drew her swords with her magic, keeping the longsword on her left, the rapier on her right. “Maybe if you were nicer—”

“Piss off with that kind o’ talk right now, aye? Just stay behind me, and keep yer wits about ye,” Sundial grunted. She shook her head and cracked her neck, watching every direction at once as best as she could manage, waiting for something to happen. “Any second now…”

The watch glowed brighter, and brighter, and brighter. Then, there was a crack in the air, like the sound of distant thunder. The watch suddenly shined brightly like a tiny star. A tear of pure blackness filled with twinkling, swirling stars ripped open the air in front of the three mares, letting loose a fierce torrential wind. Sundial lifted her pocket watch and made to twist one of the many dials on the side, but then was distracted when something flew out of the rift.

A bare ponyquin.

“What the bloody hell?” she muttered, given pause.

“Is that a… a ponyquin?” the other pegasus asked. “Like from a tailor’s shop?”

“You never mentioned anything about things coming out of these things,” said the unicorn.

“Aye, that’s what it looks like. But what—”

Just as suddenly, the tear spit out even more things. Or, in this case, ponies. Three, to be exact: an older, snow white unicorn mare with a regal purple mane just barely tinged with a streak of gray, wearing a warm blue coat with a faux-ermine collar; a younger earth pony mare with a butter yellow coat and light red mane tied up with a pink ribbon, wearing a dark red jacket; and lastly, an even younger, light pink… alicorn mare with a curly pink and lilac mane, though this last one wasn’t wearing anything at all.

As soon as the trio fell from the rift and tumbled into the snow, it closed with a snap, all on its own. Sundial’s pocket watch stopped glowing immediately. Sundial was speechless, confused, and most of all, annoyed. This wasn’t how things were supposed to go, and now she had a huge mess on her hooves.

Sundial and her two companions gawked at the newcomers, who were just barely stirring. “Shite,” Sundial murmured, putting her hoof to her forehead. “Just bloody brilliant, this is.”

“Umm… Sundial? Are… are ponies supposed to come out of those portals?” asked the second pegasus.

“No, they’re not. This could be bad. Very bad. Shite.” Sundial turned to the unicorn, her expression more serious than ever. “Oy, keep yer wits about ye. We might be having company soon.”

“You mean apart from those three?” asked the unicorn.

“Aye, right, apart from those three,” Sundial said, rolling her eyes. She turned to the other pegasus. “Bluebolt, ye’re with me. Ye might be more, uh… calming than I am, aye?”

The other pegasus—Bluebolt—smirked. “Oh, naturally.”

Sundial slowly stepped forward, approaching the three mares that had just landed in the snow with cautious steps. She didn’t know if they were a threat, or if they were scared, or, well, anything about them really. “Oy! You there! Are ye alright?”

The earth pony rose to her hooves first. “Ow, my achin’—”

She looked around her in the snow, where there was nothing but white all around her for miles, excepting the large rock just a few yards away and the other ponies that had come through with her, who she eyed with concern.

Then, she slowly turned at the voice of Sundial once she seemed to realize somepony had called to her, and her eyes narrowed. “Who’s there?!” she asked, stepping back defensively, ready to fight. Her posture was decent enough, but strictly amateur.

Bluebolt held her hooves up in front of her, a calming gesture. “Easy now, we’re not going to hurt you. Are you injured?”

The mare relaxed just slightly, then shook her head. “Um… I don’t think so. I mean, I’m not hurt. Where are we?”

The alicorn was the next to get up, though she did so slowly enough that her wings were still buried, mostly, in the snow. Sundial knew Bluebolt hadn’t seen them clearly yet, but she certainly had. “Apple Bloom? Is that you?” she asked, blinking as she looked at the earth pony with concern, clearly a little dizzy. “Are you okay? Where are we?”

“I was just tryin’ ta find out,” the earth pony—Apple Bloom, apparently—said, gesturing towards Sundial and Bluebolt.

Sundial tapped Bluebolt on the shoulder. “I’ll take it from here, lass.” She turned towards the alicorn and the earth pony and took a deep breath. “Okay, everypony, I need ye all ta keep calm. I’ve got a lot o’ things ta tell ye, but first, we—”

The older mare then rose up sharply, taking a sharp gasp of air. She looked around herself briefly, then sighed, sounding quite defeated. “Oh dear… it wasn’t just some dream, was it?”

“It’d be a pretty weird dream if we all had it,” said the alicorn.

Sundial was still severely bothered by the fact that this pony was an alicorn, and was actually having trouble processing the fact that she was in the presence of one in the first place. She thought it was a trick of the light at first, but sure enough, she had a horn and wings, clear as day.

Sundial cleared her throat. “Look, everypony, there’s a lot ta go over here, aye? But first, I need ye all to do me a solid favor.”

“Look, d’ya mind just tellin’ us where we are?” Bloom said. “We have ta get back—”

“This will all be a lot easier if ye just give me a moment o’ yer time, lassies,” Sundial said, trying to stay patient. “I need the three o’ ye ta go behind that rock there.” She indicated said large rock. “And I need ye ta stay out o’ sight, and stay very, very quiet, and not come out 'til I say so.” She pointed to the alicorn. “Especially you, aye?”

The alicorn pointed at herself. “Me? What? Why?”

Sundial glanced sideways at Bluebolt, who seemed like she was just starting to notice that there was something off about the alicorn’s body, even under the snow. “Can ye just do that fer me, lass?”

Bloom and the alicorn shared a brief look, then turned back to the older unicorn, who’d yet to say a single word since her outburst and had just been staring at the snow around her since. “Rarity?” asked Bloom. “Should we do as she says?”

The unicorn—Rarity—turned around to look at Sundial, and noticed the pocket watch she was holding. She narrowed her eyes, as if trying to remember something. “Aha, I see. A Chronomancer so soon, then? Well, that’s better than last time, I suppose.”

Sundial blinked, now just as confused as these mares surely were. “Ye know what I—” She shook her head; no time for distractions. “Nevermind all that, lass. If ye know what I am, then ye know ye should do what I say, aye?”

Rarity got up out of the snow and brushed the powder off of herself with a huff. “I believe so. But I expect a very thorough explanation when… whatever it is you’re doing is through with.” She turned to the rock that had been indicated. “So, you want us to hide behind this rock, hmm?”

“Aye, and please, hurry,” Sundial said, glancing behind her, worried something would leap out at any second.

Rarity blinked, then nodded, clearly confused by Sundial’s behavior. “Very well.” She turned to Bloom and the alicorn. “Come along, girls, let’s do as she says for now.”

“Really? Just like that?” Bloom asked.

“Just like that, dear. Trust me, it’s better to cooperate.”

The trio then did as they were asked and hid behind the large rock. Sundial took a deep breath, then turned back to her unicorn companions, striding back over to her with Bluebolt in tow. “Oy, anything yet?”

The unicorn raised an eyebrow. “The hell do you mean, ‘anything yet’? You didn’t tell me what I should be looking for, so how would I know if I’ve seen anything?”

Sundial narrowed her eyes. “Aye, smartarse, I asked ‘anything’ so have ye seen anything yet or not?”

The unicorn huffed. “Just snow and more snow, like it’s been doing all week.” She gestured over towards the rock with one of her swords. “You gonna tell us what’s going on there with our new… amicas? Or whatever they are?”

“We’ll talk later, just keep yer wits—”

Sundial was cut off when a patch of snow to her left moved.

A lithe earth pony stallion, slightly taller than the mares, leapt out from seemingly nowhere, tackling Sundial into the snow with all the force of a runaway cart. Sundial felt the wind knocked out of her as the stallion pinned her down, drawing his hoof back to punch her in the face in one swift motion. The only reason she hadn’t been knocked out cold by the impact was her stellar reaction time.

He then just as quickly leapt aside, narrowly avoiding having his head lopped off by the unicorn’s longsword. The trio could now get a good, clean look at him. He had a chocolate brown mane and a charcoal gray muzzle, barely visible from beneath his full-body uniform, a dark gray affair with a pair of red-tinted goggles that prevented anypony from clearly seeing his eyes.

“You alright, Sundial?” asked the unicorn, turning her head slightly to check.

“Don’t take yer eyes off o’ him!” Sundial shouted back, quickly rolling to her hooves.

The unicorn turned just in time to see the earth pony watching, carefully, at the exact spot the rift had torn itself open and closed just moments ago. Then, without a word, before anypony could react, he vanished into the snow like a shadow.

The unicorn huffed. “Oh, meraviglioso.”

“Shite,” Sundial grunted as she rose to her hooves. She looked about for any sign of the assailant, but knew that wasn’t worthwhile—he’d disappeared straight into the snow and she knew she couldn’t see him moving if she tried, just like every other time. “Shite. He got away again.”

Bluebolt came over, worried. “Is everypony okay?”

“Who… or what the hell was that?” the unicorn asked, not putting her swords away just yet. “Was that an earth pony using magic?

“Och, just some nutter that’s been following me around for the past few months. Shows up whenever I’m dealing with Void rifts, like this one. This is the first time I got a good look at the bastard.”

“And the bit about the magic?”

“I wish I knew. It’s not anything I’ve ever seen before, not from an earth pony. Unicorn, sure; pegasus, maybe, if he were flying the whole time.”

“So, what, this creep’s been trying to hurt you or scout out these rifts or something?” asked Bluebolt. “Why?”

“If I knew that, lass, I’d tell ye, but I don’t.” Sundial sighed and turned back to the big rock. “Come on then, let’s go see if we can get things sorted out with our new visitors, aye?” She then paused, and shook her head. “Och, hang on, let me do something first. I’ve got ta make sure o’… something, aye.”

“Well that’s not suspicious at all.”

Sundial walked over to where the three mares were and, out of sight of her companions, reached into one of her saddlebags to pull out a coat similar to hers—black plaid, even—which she passed to the alicorn in a hurry. “Here,” she said, a stern look on her face. “Put this on.”

The alicorn looked at the coat, then smiled and shook her head politely. “I’m okay, thank you. I’m used to the cold where I come from—”

“It’s not for the bloody cold, it’s ta hide yer wings, lass,” Sundial insisted, aggravated. “Alicorns aren’t really a ‘thing’ in this world, and ye might cause a bit o’ ruckus walking around with horns and wings, aye? I think my friends might’ve seen ye and might already be thinking about asking questions, but ye need to keep it ta yerself.”

The alicorn looked at the coat again, then looked to Rarity as if for guidance—she was the oldest here, after all—and got little more than an approving nod, which was apparently enough. So, the alicorn shrugged, took the coat, and put it on. It looked good on her, fitting just right over her wings to hide them from view, and would be appropriate to wear in this weather anyway. A little small, though.

“Thank ye,” Sundial said with a nod.

Sundial then walked back to her two companions and led them over to where the three other mares had hidden behind the rock; the unicorn had since sheathed her weapons. Once everypony was in clear view of one another, there were quite a lot of odd expressions spread around on everypony’s faces except Sundial’s, who merely looked amongst the other five mares, just as confused by their confusion but trying not to show it.

Rarity spoke first, looking straight at the sword-wielding unicorn. “Sweetie Belle?” she asked. “Is that you?”

The unicorn blinked. “Um… no? I mean, you’re half-right, I guess? My name’s Sweet Symphony. Why’d you call me Sweetie Belle?”

“Ya look just like somepony we know named Sweetie Belle,” said Apple Bloom. “I mean, a lil’ younger than she is now 'n' all… an’ now that I get a good look at ya, yer mane’s not quite the same color.”

“Well, looks like we’re all in the same ‘you look like somepony I know’ boat, then,” said Bluebolt. She gestured at Apple Bloom and the alicorn. “Because you two look like ponies we know.”

“We do?”

“Yeah, you do. You look like my uncle, Shorthoof.” She then pointed at the alicorn. “And you like his wife, Crystal Heart.”

Rarity gasped. “Did… did you say ‘Shorthoof’ just now? Did I hear that right?”

Symphony raised an eyebrow, glancing at Bluebolt, confused. “Uh… yeah? What of it?”

Rarity let out a sigh of relief. “I see… well, at least I know where we are, then. Better than being in some completely alien place.”

Bloom paused, then smiled and nodded. “Yeah, I thought that name sounded familiar. Shorthoof is Flathoof’s youngest brother, right?”

Bluebolt raised an eyebrow. “Wait, Flathoof? You know my other uncle too?”

“Other uncle—” Rarity gasped and took a sudden step forward, getting very, very close to Bluebolt, who seemed quite nervous at the sudden attention.

“Um… can I help you?” Bluebolt chuckled, giving Symphony a look; Symphony had her magic gripping one of her swords, but she hadn’t drawn it just yet.

“The coat’s the right color, that’s for certain, and the mane definitely fits. And those eyes I’d recognize anywhere.” Rarity’s grin widened immensely. “Oh my goodness, you are, there’s no doubt in my mind. You’re Lockwood and Blackburn’s daughter, aren’t you?”

Bluebolt, stunned, held up her hooves and pushed Rarity away ever-so-gently. “Hold up, hold on, back up a minute, and stop. You know my parents?”

“Yes I do, very well in fact. I know you’ve never met me, but, well, I certainly hope they mentioned me at least once in the past twenty years. My name is Rarity.”

Bluebolt paused in thought for a long moment, as did Symphony. Then, they shared a look with one another, eyes widened in realization. Bluebolt spoke first: “You’re… serious, right? You’re really the Rarity? The one from the stories my mom and dad used to tell me when I was just a filly?”

Rarity grinned. “My, you make it sound like some sort of fairy tale.”

“You have no idea!” Symphony blurted. “You… you and your friends did amazing things! Saved the world! More than that! And… and my idols gave their lives making sure you could do it. They sacrificed everything to keep you and Her and His Majesty alive to do it…”

“Your… idols?” Rarity paused in thought for a moment, then frowned. “Gadget and Crossfire, I assume. I’m afraid I didn’t know them well, dear, but I was led to believe they were very special.” She turned to Bluebolt. “Your mother spoke rather… briefly on the subject, but that was the gist I got.”

“Yeah… they were,” Bluebolt said with a nod. “I never knew them at all, so at least you got to meet them, right? But hey, we don’t need to go bringing up sad stories here, huh? Save that for another time.” She turned to Apple Bloom and Flurry Heart, eyebrow raised. “So, these are… who, exactly?”

Bloom smiled and offered her hoof politely. “My name’s Apple Bloom, miss. I guess since mah brother-in-law’s yer dad’s brother, that makes us... cousins or somethin’, don’t it? What’s yer name, Cousin?”

Bluebolt took Apple Bloom’s hoof and gave it a light shake. “Oh, right. Sorry. I’m Bluebolt. Nice to meet you… Cousin? Cousin… heh. Cousin. Wow, that feels weird to say to somepony from a totally different world, huh?”

“Heh, yeah, it does, don’t it?”

The alicorn then smiled and offered her hoof as well. “My name’s Flurry Heart. I don’t think I have any personal connection with any of you, at least not that I know of, but you said I look like your youngest uncle’s wife?”

“Yup. Her name’s Crystal Heart…” Bluebolt trailed off, scratching her head. “Which is a little similar to yours, too, so that’s… weird…”

“Not any weirder than yer friend there havin’ a name like ‘Sweet Symphony’,” Bloom said. “That’s only a lil’ bit away from ‘Sweetie Belle’, ain’t it?” She turned to Symphony. “So, uh, Sweet—”

Symphony grunted. “Nobody calls me ‘Sweet’, not Bluebolt, not my sister, not even my parents, capische? It’s just ‘Symphony’.” She puffed out her chest. “It sounds cooler. What, does your friend go by ‘Sweetie’?”

Bloom tilted her head. “Uh, yeah?”

“Heh. That’s adorable.” She quickly turned and pointed her hoof at Bluebolt. “And don’t go getting any ideas. I can hear the gears in your head turning right now, but don’t you even think about it.”

Bluebolt smirked and held up her hooves. “Oh, I wouldn’t dream of it.”

Sundial cleared her throat, loudly. Everypony had apparently forgotten she was even there. “If ye all don’t mind, could we not just stand around in the bloody snow flapping our gums in this thrilling conversation? The storm’s only going ta get worse, and we need ta keep moving for our next stop. It’s still daylight out, but we have to get ta shelter before nightfall, aye? The storm gets bad at night.”

“And this isn’t ‘bad’?” Flurry asked, gesturing at the snowstorm around them.

“Aye, this is just a wee breeze compared ta what ye’ll see when nightfall rolls around. Be my guest if ye’d like, but ye won’t last ten minutes.”

“Speaking of which, where exactly are we?” Rarity asked, glancing about, almost hopeful. “We’re in the snow, so I assume… are we in zebra territory?”

Sundial shook her head. “Och, sorry, that’s a long ways off, aye? We’re in the Great Expanse, or what used ta be called the ‘Wasteland’.”

Rarity frowned, clearly troubled. “Oh… I see. Awfully close to that dreadful Pandemonium City or whatever it was, aren’t we?”

“Aye, but don’t ye worry, they’re not bothering anypony these days unless ye happen ta live there.”

“Well, I suppose it’s luck that kept us from landing there again.” Rarity breathed a sigh of relief. “So, you’re this world’s Chronomancer these days? Forgive me for not asking sooner, but what’s your name?”

“Aye, hard ta introduce myself when all o’ ye were just yapping on and on about who’s shagging who and whatnot. Name’s Sundial, at yer service.” Sundial offered Rarity her hoof. Rarity gingerly shook it. “I gathered from the conversation that ye’ve been here before?”

“Yes. Though Tick Tock was the Chronomancer at the time.”

Sundial cracked half a grin. “Aye? Fancy that.”

Rarity paused a moment, then smiled. “How is she, by the way? I haven’t spoken with her in, well… twenty-one years.”

“Och, she’s right as rain, she is. Ye might just get ta see her after we finish all o’ the business we’ve got ta handle.”

“Y’all keep usin’ that word, ‘Chronomancer’,” Bloom said. “What’s it mean?”

“It’s my job, lass. I protect this world from threats ta the foundation o’ reality, and catalogue the changes between my world and others like yers. I’d go inta more detail, but we’re strapped for time, aye?

“Speaking o’ which, we’re moving towards the Redblade Mountains,” she said, gesturing towards the west. “Seeing as we need ta get ye lot figured out on getting home, ye’re coming along with.”

Rarity frowned. “Oh dear, not those dreadful volcanoes again?”

“Hmm? Och, no no, they’re not volcanoes anymore, at least not active ones, aye? Perfectly safe ta travel through, trust me.”

“That’s exactly what Tick Tock said, if you don’t mind my trepidation on the matter, dear.”

Sundial smirked. “Aye? Well, tough shite, I’m saying it too, then. If ye want ta get home, ye’re gonna have ta trust me. I know what I’m doing.”

“Tick Tock used to say that too…”

Bloom raised her hoof. “Um… I got a question.”

“Well, save it fer now, lass. We’ve gotta get moving. There’s a settlement a few miles west o’ here that we’re gonna camp at, should let the three o’ ye get all settled in so we can try and figure out what happened, aye?” She started off west, gesturing for the others to follow. “Come on then!”

Bluebolt and Symphony started following immediately after without any argument. Rarity, Bloom, and Flurry waited just a brief moment before doing the same, staying behind just enough that they could talk amongst themselves. Sundial couldn’t hear what they were saying over the winds, but from the expressions on their faces, she knew the three mares were likely worried.

She really couldn’t blame them.