• Published 29th Dec 2019
  • 7,934 Views, 2,177 Comments

Phoenix-born Rising - The Ascension of Sunset Shimmer - The Voice in the Water



The day of ascension has come. After 300 years, a new phoenix shall hatch, and with that, one child with great potential shall be chosen to be reborn in its flames. But, when a young orphan is chosen, it throws everything into chaos.

  • ...
5
 2,177
 7,934

PreviousChapters Next
Ch 8 - The Trials - Make a Pathway Towards the Future

Dear Pinkie, Rainbow and AJ

Hi girls. Hope you’re well. I’m as busy as ever. About a week ago, Lady Inkwell took me to the Chromos Museum of Art. I know, I know, it sounds boring. Especially for you Dash, since there’d be nothing for you to break without owing thousands of radiants. I thought it would be dull, but it was actually a lot of fun. Well, the art displays were. Some of the company, not so much.

I was also introduced to Duchess Fleur de Lis, the ambassador to Himavanta. She was amazing, though she and her husband Duke Fancy Pants were way too touchy. I got the feeling that even Lady Inkwell was getting sick of it. But aside from her and her husband being gross, it was so fun to spend time with her. Did you know she grew up with the kirintal? Apparently, her clan (it’s a sort of big extended family in the east) sends their firstborns to live in Himavanta.

And, well, I’ve decided that I want to start learning to make art. I’m not giving up on blacksmithing or enchanting, but it might also be fun to learn to make sculptures and stuff.

Unfortunately, I made a mistake while there, and broke one of the esoteric rules that the “nobility” are supposed to follow. Now Lady Inkwell’s been hammering me with all of this “code of conduct” stuff. Apparently, me standing up to Blueblood and his family was “wrong,” so I need to learn how to behave “properly.” I feel like I’m having a dream.

I miss you all terribly. Hopefully I’ll be able to visit soon.

With love, your sister,

Sunset Shimmer

*****

Dear Dawn Wings,

I’m not sure if this letter will reach you, but I have a favor to ask. Can we meet sometime to discuss it in person?

Sunset Shimmer

*****

Sunset forced herself not to fidget as she sat on her knees on a large floor pillow at the end of a large half-circle table. Even with the softness of the cushion under her, she could feel her legs and back starting to protest from holding her poise, but she kept her posture tight, formal and as flawless as she could manage. To her right, Phillomena was also resting on a golden perch, holding similarly still and formal. They stayed like that for what felt like an agonizing eternity, waiting for the next step of their lesson to begin.

Eventually, one of Raven’s animated puppets approached from behind, carrying two bowls. The smaller of the two was placed in the receptacle on Philomena’s perch, then the second was placed in front of Sunset. From her peripheral vision, she could see that this one filled with a of colored broth meant to be a soup of some sort. Once the bowl was in place, Sunset turned her head slightly to acknowledge the “server” with a nod, before the puppet bowed and backed away respectfully.

Waiting for the puppet to pass out of her line of sight, Sunset reached towards the table and picked up a heavy tungsten and gold spoon from the row of three as she prepared to begin the next stage of the mock-meal.

The moment she put her hands on the spoon, the light in the room flickered a harsh red.

By the night! Sunset swore as she dropped the spoon and slumped backwards, propping herself up with her arms as she let her head loll backwards with a groan.

What’d we mess up this time! Philomena sent with an exasperated hiss as she also relaxed on her perch, her head hanging down and her eyes shut.

Probably took too many breaths before I picked up that dream-tainted spoon or some such pedantic vethris-venom.

A soft trill of amusement came from Philomena's throat accompanied by a feeling of amusement. Or you forgot to cross your eyes and burp as loudly as possible.

Or pick my nose and wipe it on the table.

A moment of mirth passed between the two of them, only to be interrupted by the sound of the sharp clack of high-heels on the marble floor approaching. Quickly drawing themselves back up into their formal sitting positions, the two of them waited as Raven and Dylis slowly approached.

Just like they had for the last three hours whenever Sunset or Philomena made a mistake.

Three hours of addressing puppets of different “statuses” under different circumstances and scenarios, all of which changed in slight to major ways depending on whether they were supposed to be from Heliopolis or the Eastern Territory.

Or, the most difficult of all, were kirintal instead of sun-gazers. Much to Sunset’s chagrin, she’d had even less time to study the protocol for engaging with the kirintal than she had with the rules for dealing with other Solarians. It was like learning a whole new language with how different all of the unspoken rules were.

She was just grateful that Raven wasn’t actually making her learn Kirintal outside a few proper greetings. She wasn’t sure if she could handle that.

“Better,” Raven said coolly as she loomed ominously over Sunset. “What was the error?”

Sunset felt her temper starting to ignite at Raven’s question. One that she’d been asking Sunset most of the day. Infact, she’d been asking it most of the last five days. Focusing on her meditation techniques, she calmed herself enough to think.

Any ideas, Sunset sent.

I’m afraid not.

Thanks, Mena.

Hey, don’t look at me. You’re the one who’s been learning this stuff.

Don’t. Remind. Me, Sunset sent with a growl. One that got a frustrated push in response.

Closing her eyes and taking a deep breath, Sunset started thinking back on the practice meal, and what she had been doing right up until the moment Raven had signaled that she’d made a mistake. Was it the spoon she chose? No, it was the soup spoon, which was always the one second to the right in the spoon row. Had she forgotten to acknowledge the server? No, she’d done that. Her posture? No, she had been sitting right the entire time.

Letting out a long sigh, Sunset looked at Raven.

“I’m sorry, Raven, I don’t remember,” Sunset said, barely holding back her frustration.

Raven stared at her for a long moment, her eyes narrowed and her arms crossed over her chest.

“You were about to eat first,” Raven finally said. “For the soup course during a formal festival meal, you are supposed to wait for Philomena to start before picking up your spoon.”

Seriously? Sunset sent.

I thought you were supposed to take the first bite with the soup! Mena protested.

No, that’s the salad and main courses. For soup and desert, you’re supposed to go first, Sunset sent, clamping down on her emotions as hard as she could to keep her frustration from slipping through her bond towards Mena. I can’t believe we messed that up!

So I forgot! Mena huffed, before glaring down at the bowl of pseudo-food, and making an irritated trill from the depths of the throat. Besides, why do we have to work with this stuff? It’s like I’m eating water. There’s no flavor at all.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was water.

“Alright, let’s try again,” Raven said as she turned and began to walk away, dragging Sunset back to Nitor. “From the top.”

“This is wood rot,” Sunset growled under her breath as she re-situated herself on the pillow, only for the sound of Raven’s footsteps to stop. A cold shiver of realization ran up Sunset’s spine. Glancing at Raven, her fire was all but extinguished as both the queen’s seneschal and Dylis shot her a subtle glare.

“Sunset,” Raven said levely as her presence began to fill the room, making Sunset shrink in on herself a little, “what are you practicing for and why?”

“I know why,” Sunset meekly protested as she looked away.

Raven’s only outward response was to turn to face her fully as her glare grew more stern and her mouth turned down into a slight frown. Sunset wanted to scoot away, but couldn’t. Not with the nearly crushing weight bearing down on her.

“I want to hear you say it. Out loud.”

Even with her tone spoken no louder than her normal voice, and without any added emotion, the weight of the words hit Sunset like a shouted command. Through their bond, Philomena kept sending her feelings of comfort and encouragement. Even with her partner’s efforts, she still shivered with dread at the force behind the words. Still, it gave her the grounding she needed to fight back enough of her fear to draw herself back up into her formal sitting pose.

“I’m practicing for the formal events at the Fall Harvest Festival in two months.”

“Good,” Raven said with a barely perceptible nod, before making a circling motion with the index finger on her right hand. “Keep going.”

“This will be my first Fall Harvest Festival as an ascendant. As such, it is important that I show my best while representing Queen Celestia, the phoenix-born, Heliopolis and Solaria. First impressions to the public are crucial to maintaining respect from the populace, as is honoring the traditions and customs of the Eastern Territory.”

Seeing the slight nod from Raven, Sunset took a moment to draw in another breath, then continued.

“The kirintal will also be in attendance. This year’s celebration marks the fourth centennial of their joining the Solar Alliance. An alliance formed in the wake of the Skellweb Crisis, and first time that the kirintal willingly made contact with any other race after the War of Shadows against King Sombra. As such, this year’s festival is significant to the relationship between our two nations, as the kirintal are an irreplaceable ally against our enemies and a valued trading partner. As a phoenix-born, I am required to attend this festival, so I must do my best to impress the delegates, and not inadvertently commit or say anything taboo, as the kirintal are both highly traditional and sensitive to what they view as inauspicious actions.”

Sunset fell silent as she waited for Raven to move on with the lesson.

“You forgot the most important one,” Raven said bluntly, her frown growing more pronounced.

In her lap, Sunset’s hands clenched into fists so hard she could feel her joints creaking and her skin pulling painfully tight as her nails pressed into her palm almost hard enough to draw blood.

Sunset, please calm down, Mena sent with feelings of peace.

Of course she remembered. Of course she did! Damned dreams, darkness and moonlight, why did I think she was going to let it slide?! Sunset sent as she struggled to keep tears of rage from emerging from the corner of her eyes.

Just… give her the answer she wants so we can move on. Please. We don’t need her making this harder on us.

I hate it when you’re right like that, Sunset sent with a huff, doing her best to keep her frustration with the situation from leaking through the sending and towards Philomena.

“I need to repair my reputation after the incident at the museum,” Sunset growled.

“And why is that?” Raven said as she performed the same circular gesture as before.

“I allowed myself to be baited by Blueblood and his family, which has sullied my standing with the rest of the Council of Light and in Heliopolis as a whole,” Sunset said, her jaw clenching as she growled out the words. “Because as a phoenix-born, I’m expected to maintain a certain standard of behavior, which I did not. And, because I directly insulted Blueblood, and brought up his father’s fate, I crossed into unacceptable behavior for someone of my station. Now, I have to make a good showing at the Fall Harvest Festival in order to regain the support I’ve lost, and prove I am capable of conducting myself in a manner fitting someone in my future status.”

Sunset’s words hung in the air for a few moments as Raven continued to stare at her. Then, with a subtle nod, Raven said, “Good.”

“I still don’t understand why I’m being punished for something he started,” Sunset grumbled.

Much to Sunset’s relief, Raven’s presence began to recede, though her scowl remained.

“I don’t have any say in Vladamir Blueblood’s behavior. But I do have a say in yours. And yours was both entirely inappropriate and damaging. To both of us.”

“So this isn’t about me, isn’t it?” Sunset grumbled. “It's about you. You’re more worried about how this affects your reputation. Nearly a week of tormenting me with this etiquette crap… That’s what you really care about…”

No sooner did the words leave Sunset’s mouth did she realize her mistake as the sudden and crushing pressure of Raven’s presence returned. Only this time, it was a hundred times stronger than before and slammed into her like she was being buried under an avalanche of mud and rock, leaving both Sunset and Philomena overwhelmed and barely able to move.

“Sunset, I’ve warned you about speaking to me like that,” Raven said, her voice dropping dangerously as her frown grew deeper and the slightest hints of anger seeped into her voice. “Don’t think that my patience with such is limitless, or that you are above being disciplined. Because if you continue to disrespect me, I will be forced to give you a reminder that neither is true. And you won’t like the consequences of that. Do I make myself clear?”

“Pure water clear,” Sunset whimpered, her voice trembling.

“Good,” Raven said as her presence slowly receded, but did not vanish entirely. “And yes, I am concerned about how it affects me. How it affects both of us. Aside from the damage you’ve done to yourself, your behavior reflects poorly on me as your teacher. I have tried to impress on you how important it is for you to conduct yourself as a member of the aristocracy, and you have continued to actively resist those lessons. Which has made it very clear that you do not feel that they have value. Or that they apply to you. Which calls my competency into question as a teacher and a leader at a time when Solaria needs to have confidence in me as both. So yes, your actions have affected more than just you.”

Slowly shaking off the effects of Raven’s admonition, Sunset swallowed hard to settle her stomach. She knew the safest choice was to just let it go, but her pride wouldn’t let her.

Sunset, no! Philomena desperately sent.

“I still say that’s dumb. We’re phoenix-born. We should be able to do what we want,” Sunset protested, though it lacked much of the force of her earlier protests.

To her surprise and relief, Raven simply closed her eyes and shook her head slowly from side to side, the pressure of her presence vanishing entirely.

“Sunset, that’s the kind of thinking that turned the last Phoenix-rite into a farce. We, as the highest echelon of Solaria, exist to serve the people and to stand as an example for them to follow. That is why you can’t just do what you want.”

“So Blueblood gets to insult me and I have to take it? He started it,” Sunset said as she tried to glare defiantly at Raven.

“It doesn’t matter who ‘started it,’ Sunset. What matters is how you acted. Tossing embers at one another is common among the nobility, particularly against political rivals. But they keep it to just that: tossing embers. You threw a lava bomb. Had you managed your temper and turned what he said on him without resorting to petty insults, it would have been his, Amethyst and Ruby’s standing that would have been wounded. But you let your anger control you, and let yourself be drawn into the trap they set.”

There was a long, pregnant pause as Sunset felt Raven looking at her, as though she were waiting for Sunset to respond in some way. Knowing that protesting would only lead to another lecture, Sunset stayed silent even as she smoldered with anger.

“And now? Now I have to ensure that there won’t be another political earthquake. And since a gentle handed approach clearly was not getting these lessons through to you, I am forced to resort to a far less kind approach if I am to be sure that you’re going to be ready for the festival,” Raven said as turned away and began to walk off. “So, once again, from the top.”

*****

Sunset floated miserably yet swiftly away from the classroom, her back, shoulders, and knees throbbing from holding her posture for over an hour. Even trying to open herself up to Nitor’s heart as she went through her practice meals over and over had done little to relieve her soreness. At best, she’d managed a few moments of full contact before she’d reflexively attempted to draw in more of the heart’s energy to ease her aches and pains, causing it to retreat.

Still, she savored the fact she’d managed even the brief contact she had and the relief she’d felt from the heart’s touch. It was small consolation, as by the time Raven had let her leave for her mid-day break, she wasn’t sure she would be able to stand, let alone walk all the way to the sky-rail that would take her back to her suite.

Instead, she’d simply levitated out of the room like a limp ragdoll, Philomena flying alongside her so as to not add her weight to Sunset’s already aching shoulders. As she’d left, Raven had told her that their afternoon lessons would begin in two hours, and that she expected her to be punctual. The only thing that kept Sunset from sinking into despair was the knowledge that the afternoon would consist of reading and note taking, not practical lessons.

A small spark of relief, but a spark nonetheless.

The two of them flew in silence until they reached the sky-rail line that would take them back to the wing of the Cathedral with their room. Slowly lowering herself into the seat, Sunset let out a slight groan of relief before she placed her hand on the direction-panel and punched in her destination. As the metal carriage began to speed towards its destination, Sunset all but melted into the seat, closing her eyes and letting out a tired sigh.

So… Do you think she’s going to show? Philomena sent, drawing Sunset out of her head and back to reality.

Cracking her eyes open and rolling her head back to look at her bondmate, Sunset thought back to the note that had arrived with her breakfast that morning.

The note said she’d ‘see us’ at ‘midday’, Sunset sent as she reached up and stroked Philomena’s wing. She’s a weirdo, but she doesn’t seem like someone to lie about something like that.

And you’re sure she’ll actually be able to help?

With what we’ve seen her do, I’m sure she can.

If you say so, Philomena sent as she hopped down from her perch and into Sunset’s lap, resting her head on Sunset’s left hand. You do know she’ll tell Raven what you’re doing, right?

Yes… Sunset admitted as she placed her right hand on Philomena’s back and gently began to pet her. But I can’t think of anything else.

I still think this is a bad idea, Philomena sent as she snuggled a bit deeper into Sunset’s lap. For so many reasons.

It is, Sunset conceded as she closed her eyes again and tried to relax, but I have to do something. She may have been a colossal Chaos-spawn to me, but… I just can’t do nothing. Nobody should have to be afraid of their family like that.

Even if we’re already treading on obsidian splinters with Raven?

… We’ll just have to be careful.

Sunset felt Philomena send a small trickle of apprehension before going quiet and closing their bond. She couldn’t blame her partner for not liking what she was trying to do. She wasn’t sure she liked it. But the pain on Sapphire’s face was all the reason Sunset needed to try to help her. After all, she was a phoenix-born, so she had the power to do something.

She just hoped that it wouldn’t spark a wildfire.

*****

Sunset gently pushed the door to her suite closed her with her foot as she and Philomena flew inside. As she drifted through the living area, she glanced towards her bedroom, the thought of a hot bath passing through her mind. After a few moments of fantasizing, she dismissed the idea, instead following Philomena into the dining room. The last thing she wanted was to start relaxing only to have Dawn Wings make a sudden appearance. Especially if she did it by joining Sunset in the tub.

Something Sunset could imagine the spy-mistress doing.

Landing roughly in her chair by her meal table, Sunset let out a groan of relief as she relaxed into the thin cushions. After a few minutes of simply resting and letting the soreness in her limbs abate, she slowly lifted her head, and began to look around the room for any sign of the Dawn Wings. Sunset wasn’t surprised that she didn’t see any hint or trace of the enigmatic sky-runner. Much to her frustration, Sunset had a feeling that she wouldn’t make her appearance until it suited her.

Or Dawn Wings thought the moment would be amusing.

Deciding not to dwell on it, Sunset dragged herself out of her chair and floated over to her ordering panel. Pulling up the menu, she and Philomena briefly discussed what they wanted. Eventually they settled on a root-vegetable and venison pie with tsujira for Sunset, and grilled pigeon with alnerinc for Philomena. Orders sent, Sunset floated to her bookshelf and retrieved the copy of Classification of Elemental Forces and Their Applications Queen Celestia had assigned her to study between her lessons with Raven. As convoluted as the book was, it was a welcome respite from her “etiquette training.”

Setting the book on the table and sinking into her chair again, Sunset waited a few blissful minutes for her food to arrive, once again trying to open herself to Nitor’s heart. She once again failed to stay in touch for more than a few moments, but it was enough to take the edge off of her tired muscles. But it was still enough that she was able to stand and walk when she heard the dumbwaiter chime that her food was ready. Returning to the table, Sunset set Philomena’s meal in the receptacle on her perch, before returning to the table and cracking open her book, setting it on a reading stand, and picking up where she’d left off the day before.

All nine elements can be catagorised in four states: mundane, conjured, true and blighted. Of these four states, mundane represents the bulk of the natural forms that comprise the physical state of Nitor. Despite their ubiquity, these mundane elemental forces do not represent the original elements. Instead, they are the impure forms of the true elements created in the aftermath of the infection of Nitor with Chaos at the end of the Chaos War…’

For the first time since she’d risen that morning, Sunset found herself relaxing as she immersed herself in the text. Only for her reading to be interrupted by the sound of soft scraping of wood on wood, followed by the soft rustle of feathers and the creak of something settling into one of her chairs shattered her focus and violently pulled her back to Nitor.

Mena, is that who I think it is? Sunset sent, not bothering to look up from her book.

I’m afraid so.

And you didn’t see or hear her come in, did you?

Nope, Mena sent with a touch of exasperation, though not one directed at Sunset.

Mentally bracing herself, Sunset finally looked up to find Dawn Wings sitting at the table with her wings folded over the back of her chair, drinking something from a tall, steaming mug and reading a book of her own. To Sunset’s relief, the spy-mistress was not in her ‘field uniform.’ Instead she was dressed in her normal banal attire.

Sunset stared at Dawn Wings for several moments, before finally clearing her throat to draw the sky-runner’s attention. At the sound, Dawn Wings looked up and flashed Sunset that irritating, cocky smirk of hers, before setting her book down.

“You know, you’re pretty gutsy, kiddo,” Dawn Wings said as she regarded Sunset and tilted her mug towards her. “Not surprised, mind you. Impressed though. Most sun-gazers don’t want anything to do with me and mine. Can’t imagine why.”

“Probably because you drive them crazy.” Sunset said with a slight smirk of her own.

“Nah, that can’t be it. I only do that to people I like,” Dawn Wing said as she swirled her mug and took a drink. “Heh, gotta admit, I see why you like this stuff so much. Your sister and her family’ve got a real gift.”

“What do you mean? What is that?” Sunset asked, before a terrible thought hit her as the scent of the beverage Dawn Wings was drinking wafted across the table. “Wait, is that my…?”

Smiling, Dawn Wings raised her free hand placatingly.

“Relax, kiddo. I just figured after all the trouble you went through to get this stuff, I should buy a barrel of my own to see if it was worth it. Your stash is safe,” Dawn Wings said before winking at Sunset, “for now, anyway.”

Sunset felt her temper beginning to flare at the thought of anyone touching one of the few and precious touchstones she had to her home.

“You stay away from my cider,” Sunset growled as the living flame on her head began to seethe.

Dawn Wings simply chuckled at her in response and raised her mug to her lips.

“Take a couple of deep breaths, kiddo. You don’t want to set the room on fire.”

Sunset, your hair!

What are you…? Sunset sent, only to realize that she’d inadvertently caused her living flame to start heating up. …oh, fire and light.

Focusing on her hair, Sunset forced the living flame to relax and cool off. It took a minute or so, but she eventually felt it returning to its resting state.

You okay now? Philomena sent.

Sorta.

Sunset’s attention was drawn back to the other side of the table by the sound of Dawn Wings setting her mug down, the spy-mistress’s expression shifting to a slightly mischievous one.

“But enough of that. What’s this about needing ‘a favor?’”

Sunset closed her eyes and took a calming breath. This was it. The moment of truth.

“I need you to shine a light on Amethyst Mirage and Ruby Prism and find something that I can use against them,” Sunset finally said.

Much to Sunset’s disappointment, Dawn Wings’ expression shifted from mischievous to deadpan.

“I can’t have heard that right. Care to repeat yourself?” She finally asked.

Sunset didn’t like how the spy-mistress’s voice had lost nearly all of its usual pleasantness and humor. But, she had to push on.

“I want you and the Eyes to help me get information on Sapphire’s parents that I can use against them. Something to get them off my back, and maybe help get Sapphire away from them. Or at the very least protect her,” Sunset said, this time with a little more force.

There was a long, painful silence that followed. Dawn Wings continued to stare at Sunset’s face, her expression almost as unreadable as Raven’s. They just sat there for Sunset didn’t know how long, looking each other in the eyes.

“I’m sorry, kiddo, but I can’t,” Dawn Wings finally said as she drew herself up, laced her fingers together and rested her hands on the table.

Sunset’s heart sank. She was afraid Dawn Wings would say that. But… she wasn’t going to give up. Not so easily.

“Can’t? Or won’t?” Sunset asked.

“Both, if I’m being honest.”

Sunset’s brows knitted themselves into a scowl.

“Why not?”

“Because, the Eyes can only involve themselves in matters of national security,” Dawn Wings said. “If I were to have my Eyes do what you’re asking, I’d be putting them, and myself, at risk.”

Clenching her fists, Sunset leaned forward in her chair.

Sunset, stop, please, Philomena sent. She said no.

Sunset ignored Philomena’s distressed sending and pressed on.

“So just don’t tell anyone,” Sunset said, her voice gaining some force as she leaned forward. “Nobody has to know besides us.”

“Kid, I’m going to pretend you didn’t just suggest that to me,” Dawn Wings said, her voice turning grave. “But if you had, I would tell you that with the kind of power the Eyes wield, there’s more at stake than just losing the public’s trust. I would also ask you to consider what it would be like if your average Solarian thought that the Eyes of the Sun could be spying on them at any time? Or how quickly everyone’s trust in Raven, who we answer too, would dissolve? Or whether or not there would be consequences to myself and the Eyes for violating the boundaries of our duties.”

“And if I, as a phoenix-born, were to hypothetically order you to do it, then what?” Sunset asked coldly.

Dawn Wings was once again silent for a few moments.

“Well, first I’d tell you the same thing as I just did, so it wouldn’t change anything,” Dawn Wings said as her face shifted into a scowl. One that, while far less intimidating than either Raven or General Sentry’s, was still remarkably effective. “Second, you’d seriously start a wildfire with me, and potentially ruin what I would consider a very pleasant relationship, possibly even friendship. Third, I’d laugh in your face, because there are only three beings in existence that can order me to do something: Queen Celestia, Queen Lumina, and Lady Raven Inkwell. Fourth and finally, I’d be obligated to let Lady Inkwell know that you were trying to abuse your authority and position as a phoenix-born for personal reasons, which I’m sure she’d be very happy to hear about.”

The room was silent for a few moments as Dawn Wings’ words hung in the air, her expression still grave. Then, in a moment, Dawn Wings’ face returned to its typical pleasantness. However, Sunset noticed a small touch of the previous scowl in her eyes.

“But, thankfully, we’re just talking in hypotheticals,” Dawn Wings said as her mouth shifted into a slight, friendly smile. One that still managed to make a shiver of dread run up Sunset’s spine. “Right, kiddo?”

“Right. Of course,” Sunset said, trying to mimic Dawn Wings’ smile, though she had a feeling it was coming across more like a grimace. “I guess it’s a good thing I didn’t ask for any of that, isn’t it?”

“It really is,” Dawn Wings said, her tone returning to her normal jovial one. “So, is there anything else, or do you want to get back to your book?”

Sunset tried not to feel dejected, but found it nearly impossible. She had known it was likely that Dawn Wings would deny her, but the reality of it still stung. Especially after the morning she’d just had.

C’mon, Sunset. You tried. It’s not your fault that she said no.

I know, Mena. But, maybe I still have at least one dice to play.

Are you sure it's a good idea?

No, I’m not. “Just one thing. Why did you give me that note at the museum?”

“Ah, that,” Dawn Wings said as her features softened. “Well, think of it as a bit of a favor from me to you.”

“What?” Sunset said as she raised her eyebrows.

“After that whole thing with Blueballs and his family, I knew there was something you needed to see.”

Blueballs? What’s that mean?

“That doesn’t sound like a national security issue?” No idea, Mena.

“It wasn’t. Not directly. But, as long as we were keeping you safe, I could… shall we say…bend the rules a little bit. Not much. But a little bit.”

“Why?”

“Think of it like a lesson that not everything is always as it seems, especially with the nobility,” Dawn Wings said as she leaned back and put her hands behind her head. “And hopefully stopping the seeds of something poisonous from growing.”

“That doesn’t make any sense. Why would I need to see that? I already know they’re a bunch of deceptive night-lovers.”

“So you knew that Sapphire Prism was being forced to put on an act?”

“Uh, well, no, I didn’t. I just thought she’d gone back to being a jerk. But what does that have to do with it?”

“Think about it for a moment, kiddo.”

There was another pause as Sunset’s thought process was almost instantly snuffed at Dawn Wings’ comment. Of course she wouldn’t have known Sapphire hadn’t really gone back to being a jerk. If anything, it would’ve made her look like a liar when she apologized at the rite. But thanks to Dawn Wings sending her to…

“Oh…”

“Exactly,” Dawn Wings said with a slow nod.

Sunset looked down at her hands, considering the full implications of what Dawn Wings had just told her. Had the spy-mistress not intervened the way she did, Sunset was sure she’d have re-starting her feud with Sapphire Prism. A feud that would have been her fault. Not Sapphire’s. Not directly at least. The realization stung. And, it brought her back to why she’d decided to contact Dawn Wings.

“Well, what should I do then? I want to… no, I have to help her. She’s stuck in a dream, and I don’t know what to do. You were the only person I could think of that would’ve helped me,” Sunset said solemnly.

“I never said that I wouldn’t help you, kiddo.”

“What? But you just…”

“I told you I couldn’t shine a light on Amethyst and Ruby, or have my Eyes investigate them,” Dawn Wings said as she raised her right hand and held up her index finger. “But did I ever say I wouldn’t help?”

Sunset’s thoughts were snuffed again as she stared at Dawn Wings.

Mena, did I hear that right?

I’m pretty sure you did, Philomena reassured her.

So she says she never said she wouldn’t help, but she says that she wouldn’t help me at the same time. Why won’t anyone give me a straight answer to anything?

Maybe she did? There was a certain amount of trepidation in Philomena’s sending.

Mena, not you too, Sunset sent, trying not to let her frustration leak through the sending.

Well, she said that she never said she wouldn’t help you.

I guess. But she also said that she wouldn’t help me… to gather information on Sapphire’s parents. I never just asked her for help.

I bet that’s what she’s trying to tell you.

I hate it when they do that. Sunset sent as she glanced bitterly at Dawn Wings, before schooling her features. I guess there’s only one way to find out. “Dawn Wings, will you help me find a way to help Sapphire?”

“Sure thing, kiddo,” Dawn Wings said cheerfully. “I’d be happy to.”

“Okay, so can you…?” Sunset began to say, only for Dawn Wings to hold up her index finger again.

“I’m going to stop you right there. I still can’t use my powers or the Eyes to help you out on this thing. I can’t even really get involved directly.”

“So, what can you do then?” Sunset asked, trying to keep the frustration out of her voice.

“Best I can do kiddo is give you advice. Maybe help you make a plan.”

“I’ll take what I can get,” Sunset sighed as she wilted a little.

“Sometimes, that’s all anyone can do,” Dawn Wings said with a slight shrug as she laced her fingers together and rested her hands on the back of her head.

“So, now what?” Sunset asked as she rested her right elbow on the table and rested her cheek on it.

“It’s your plan and your dance, kiddo. But I can give you some inspiration for the first few steps.”

Grumbling, Sunset gave what Dawn Wings had said some thought. Her own plan was ash at this point, so she didn’t have anything to lose from listening to what Dawn Wings had to say.

“Fine. Let’s hear it,” Sunset finally said. She had a feeling she knew how Dawn Wings was going to “help.” And she wasn’t looking forward to it.

“Don’t sound so enthusiastic,” Dawn Wings said with a slight smile. “Why don’t you start off by considering Saphire’s situation, and yours. And what you can realistically do for her.”

I knew it. Cursed night and dreams, I knew it!

Sunset…

I know. I just… argh, nevermind.

“I can’t do anything for her. That’s the problem,” Sunset said, the bitterness starting to seep into her voice. “It's why I asked you for help in the first place. But you’re just throwing riddles at me instead of helping.“

Dawn Wings gave her a half-lidded stare as her brows knitted together.

“If that’s going to be your attitude, Sunset, I really won’t help, and you’ll be back to trying to set your first stones,” Dawn Wings said sternly. “And there is something you can do for her: let her know that you care and that you want to be there for her.”

Sunset fought down the urge to laugh bitterly at what Dawn Wings just suggested. It was absurd. That wouldn’t help Sapphire. It wouldn’t do anything.

Why did I waste our time asking her for help? I must be going crazy and dumb after being cooped up in this place for so long.

You’re not going crazy or dumb, Sunset. Look, she’s not Raven. Just ask her to explain.

Fine. “I’m sorry, but I don’t understand,” Sunset said as civilly as she could. “How’s that going to help her? She’s still going to be stuck with those pig-sniffing parents of hers.”

“Well, if that’s the case, why do you and your sisters keep writing to each other? They can’t bring you back to Golden Tree, and you can’t go to see them. So why keep doing it?”

Sunset opened her mouth to respond, only to stop as she processed exactly what Dawn Wings had just said. She hadn’t actually considered that. Sure, she had Philomena, but writing to her oath-sisters… it made things bearable.

They were her anchor.

They let her know that they loved her, and she let them know she still loved them.

That she wasn’t alone in this whole thing she’d been swept up into.

Was that the solution? Was it really that simple?

She certainly didn’t love Sapphire like she loved her sisters. She wasn’t even sure if she even really liked Sapphire. She certainly wasn’t friends with the young marchioness. But, she didn’t want to see her hurting like she clearly was.

“So, you’re saying I should try writing to Sapphire. And say what? That she’s not alone?”

“Something like that,” Dawn Wings said with an approving nod. “But, you probably don’t want to write to her. At least, not directly.

“That doesn’t make sense.”

“It makes perfect sense. Why are you doing this in the first place?”

“Because she’s trapped in a bad spot with…” Sunset’s voice slowly trailed off as what Dawn Wings was implying dawned on her. “…with Amethyst Mirage and Ruby Prism. They already hate me, and probably would be furious with Sapphire for daring to associate with a ‘dirt eater.’ Especially one that got their daughter into trouble with Raven, wouldn’t they…”

“Exactly,” Dawn Wings said with a slow nod. “So what do you think would happen if they found out that you and Sapphire were writing to each other behind their backs? Especially considering that Amethyst is almost certainly going to be Blueblood’s regent until he comes of age.”

“I don’t want to think about it,” Sunset said with a shudder. “Sapphire was genuinely scared of what they’d do if they found out she didn’t cut matching gems with them.”

“So with that in mind, do you think it’d be the best move to write to her directly? Especially if her family might find the letters?”

“No, I suppose not,” Sunset said dejectedly. “Cursed night.”

“Hey, don’t give up now, kiddo. You just have to think about it from a new angle,” Dawn Wings said, giving Sunset a thoughtful look. “Let's try something different. Tell me, did you ever sneak out of the house to go see your oath-sisters when you weren’t supposed to?”

“What? No! Never!” Sunset said reflexively, trying not to look guilty as Dawn Wings' question took her completely by surprise.

“Right,” Dawn Wings said with a knowing smirk. One that reminded her far too much of the ones Tender Heart would give her when she knew she was lying. “Well, if you were to hypothetically try sneaking out, would you use the front door? Or would you maybe try to do something so that Tender Heart wouldn’t notice you were gone?”

“Well, I wouldn’t go out the front door. I know I’d get caught,” Sunset said, before quickly adding, “hypothetically speaking, that is.”

“Sure, kiddo, sure,” Dawn Wings said with a knowing chuckle. “So, how would you apply this totally hypothetical situation to getting in touch with Sapphire?”

Sunset leaned back in her chair and closed her eyes.

Mena?

Yea?

I’m going to need to bounce some ideas off you.

Not like I can stop you, Philomena sent with a playful push.

That’s not true, and you know it, featherbutt, Sunset sent back with a playful lilt and feeling of levity. Look, I’m pretty sure Dawn Wings is right. If Amethyst or Ruby found out I was writing to Sapphire…

Yea, I get it. Bad times all around. So… how’re you going to sneak out of the house?

Sunset found herself smiling a little at Philomena’s sending.

Well, we used to just try going out one of the back windows or doors, but Tender Heart figured out all of our routes, so that didn't work most of the time, and we’d usually get caught. Eventually, Lilac, Lyra and I came up with a plan that worked pretty well: when one of us wanted to sneak out, we’d ask one of the other two to distract Tender Heart. She eventually caught on to what we were doing, but it worked for about a couple months. After taking the sisterhood oath with AJ, Dash and Pinkie, they started helping me sneak out. Especially Pinkie. I don’t even know what she did most of the time. All I know is that it worked.

So, is any of that useful?

I don’t think it’s going to be a directly equivalent solution, but I’m betting there’s something there.

I don’t think asking your oath-sisters is an option.

Probably not.

You think this is like that mountain and butterfly thing Raven asked us a while ago? Less about the obvious, and more about abstract thinking?

Yes, Sunset sent as she folded her arms across her chest. I think… Maybe we could ask for help somehow. If sneaking out the front door is just sending something to her, maybe there’s another way out.

Could we ask Dawn to deliver it to Sapphire?

No, she’s made it clear as pure water that she’s not going to get involved personally. And neither are the Eyes.

So any solution we come up with can’t involve her.

I suppose I could make up a fake name to put on the letters. But unless I can tell Sapphire that it’s me, she might just toss the letters out. Or her parents might read them to see who’s writing to their daughter.

You think they’d do that.

Dawn Wings was implying they might.

Alright, so that’s out. What about the distraction plan? Could something like that work?

Sunset considered that. The problem with the distraction plan, as Philomena called it, was that it depended on someone else being the decoy.

And she didn’t have a decoy she could use.

It wasn’t like she knew anyone in Heliopolis that was friends with Sapphire.

Wait, that isn’t true’

What’s not true.

Sorry, I was thinking about what you suggested. For the distraction plan to work, we’d need someone else to do the distracting. Someone that knows Sapphire, and wouldn’t immediately make her parents suspicious.

And you have an idea.

I think I might.

“Dawn Wings, I have another hypothetical for you,” Sunset said as she opened her eyes and uncrossed her arms before placing her hands on the table.

“I’m listening, kiddo.”

“Hypothetically, if I wanted to avoid letting Sapphire’s parents know that I’m writing to her, meaning I can’t do it directly, could I perhaps get in touch with someone who knows both Sapphire and I, and see if they would be willing to help me get in touch with Sapphire. And if they’re amenable to it, tell her that I’m going to start writing to Sapphire under a fake name so that she knows it's me when I start sending her letters? And if this intermediary just happens to be one of Sapphire’s friends, would it be less likely for Amethyst and Ruby to be suspicious if she vouches that my fake name is someone that met Sapphire at the phoenix-rite training?”

“I think that might work,” Dawn Wings said with a pleased smile. “Of course, you’ll need to be careful, since Ruby and Amethyst are well connected, so they’ll be able to vet the name that you’re using.”

Sunset’s face sank at that.

“Hey, it’s not a bad plan, kiddo. Just needs a little more thought,” Dawn Wings said.

“Fine,” Sunset said as she tried not to sound discouraged. “Maybe… maybe I could just send something to this prospective intermediate to pass on to Sapphire without going through the mail system proper, with instructions to Sapphire that if she wants to get in touch with me, to send it through our mutual. And not include my name, just in case a letter is intercepted. Maybe even tell Sapphire to burn the letters after she’s read them to make sure her parents can’t see them?”

“There are quite a few moving parts to that one, kiddo, but I think that sounds like it could work,” Dawn Wings said with a genuine, impressed smile. “Who were you thinking of to act as your bridge?”

Sunset smiled a bit.

“I think that I need to write a letter to Orange Spice to see how she’d been since the end of the phoenix-rite.”

Author's Note:

And we're back! (sort of)

Chapters are going to be infrequent and sporadic, as I'm still trying to find work after graduating. But, I'm writing Phoenix-born to help deal with the stress of job applications.

Also, my editor hasn't signed in for well over a year at this point, so the chapters are going to be rough until I can find a new one. So please bear with me.

PreviousChapters Next