• Published 29th Dec 2019
  • 2,742 Views, 190 Comments

A Cozy Hearth's Warming - SoloBrony



In the last story, Cozy Glow became a super hero. Mostly because of brain damage. Now she has to juggle studies, super heroics, friend-making (ugh), and... destiny? All before Hearth's Warming – can't a former megalomaniacal psychopath catch a break?

  • ...
5
 190
 2,742

Grand achievements through apathy

My brilliant plan to fulfill my 'friendship homework' by making friends through my super hero work had one major flaw: ponies didn't know the real identity of the Dashing Savior, and if they did, they probably wouldn't want to be friends.

Of course, I only realized this flaw after spending extra time chatting and hanging out with ponies after my most recent heroic escapade. Now I'd wasted three whole days and I hadn't made a single real friend!

It was pretty cool getting to know all of those ponies, though.

Who knows how they might be useful to us in the future? It's good to have a widespread contact network.

Well... yes, but it also gives me a gratifying perspective on how diverse and important the 'faceless crowd' really is. It's the kind of lesson you'd never get, old-Cozy.

Sap.

Jerk.

As much as I didn't want to get wrapped up in my own head like that, I had nopony else to talk to. I'd headed out to Ponyville to make some friends, but word had gotten around about who 'Quillon' really was, so my new coat color wasn't fooling anypony. Ponies glared at me as they went past, and kept their distance. I sipped on my milkshake and tried to at least be thankful nopony was throwing anything.

They're too scared. Because we're powerful, remember? We don't need them anymore!

'Power' implies I can get what I want. I want ponies to like me, but all of the alicorn magic in the world can't make that happen. Not for real, anyway.

... Touche.

Turns out, winning an internal argument against a voice in your head that was actually trying to cheer you up, does not result in you being happier. Who knew?

I was about to give up on Ponyville and head home when an unfamiliar voice made me start slightly in my chair.

"Oh, hey there. I don't think I've seen you around Ponyville before. You alright?"

I looked over to see a light-yellow unicorn mare with a firey red-and-yellow mane staring at me.

"Uh, yeah, I'm alright. I'm not from around here, though. Just visiting."

"Dropping in on friends, huh? Yeah, same here."

I snorted and focused back on my milkshake.

"I don't have any friends to drop in on. I was trying to fix that by coming here, but nopony will so much as speak to me."

The unicorn walked back around into my field of view and sat across from me. I might have thought it presumptuous of her, but I had just basically said I wasn't waiting on anypony. She cocked her head at me.

"They won't? Why not?"

I sighed. Of course I could lie to her, but then it wouldn't be a legitimate friendship – plus, it would be pretty unheroic, not to mention manipulative. Manipulating ponies was old-Cozy, not me.

"I tried to destroy all the magic in Equestria, got locked up in Tartarus, and then when I got free I went on a deranged rampage with a couple of other horrible villains, which got so bad that the windigoes returned. You probably noticed."

I expected the mare to realize who I was and... well, I'm not sure what I expected after that. An amused-looking smirk wasn't it, though.

"Oh, is that all? Sorry, I was out of town when that happened, though Twilight told me about it."

First-name basis with the Princess, huh?

'Out of town'? Nopony anywhere in Equestria could have missed that! Something's off about this mare, we need more information on her!

Or... I could just not give a horseapple.

I shrugged. "Fair enough. Yeah, that's all, aside from my being a backstabbing, manipulative nightmare who saw friendship as a tool for power."

She actually laughed at that!

"Wow! Yeah, that sounds about right! I guess Twilight and her friends helped you turn it around, huh?"

"As if! They just shot me with a giant rainbow doom laser thingy."

"Oh yeah, that thing. Did it strip you of your deranged-rampage powers and set you on the path to redemption?"

"Nope, it just wiped my memory."

The mare leaned back and smirked at that.

"Man, that thing is so unpredictable. Sent Luna to the moon, turned Discord to stone..."

Who IS this mare?! Find out now!

Nope. Don't care.

"Tell me about it. Luna ended up taking me in – long story – and she thought I should make some friends. So here I am. Making friends."

I gestured around at the empty space, and the mare snickered at that.

"Well, you can't just wait for friends to come to you. You've gotta do stuff with ponies to start forming bonds."

I rolled my eyes. "I know that. You can manipulate ponies into being your friend with shared experiences, favors, that sorta thing, but I'm trying not to be a crazy, manipulative villain anymore."

The mare quirked an eyebrow at me, and I realized that what I said probably sounded a bit foolish in abstract, but it was still the thought process that led me here. Then again, you'd need to meet a pony first to even try sharing an activity.

She grinned slyly and leaned forward conspiratorially.

"Well, can I manipulate you into playing some pool with me? I heard they recently put a table in at the new 'rec center' wing of the library here, and I could use the telekinesis practice. I've gotten really rusty."

GAAAH, WHY WOULD A UNICORN BE RUSTY AT TELEKINESIS?! FIND OUT MORE! And don't go anywhere with her, you have no idea what her deal is, she could be dangerous!

Golly, you really ARE helpful! It's a guide for what NOT to do and/or care about!

I shrugged. "Sure thing."

"Great! Let's go. Oh, my name's Sunset Shimmer, by the way. What's yours?"

"Well... I'm Cozy Glow, but I kinda prefer Quillon now."

"Oh, putting some distance between you and old-you, huh? I can see that, with the whole memory thing. Alright, Quillon, let's see if you can use that horn of yours."

I giggled. Something about this mare was just really likeable, as long as I ignored the screaming alarm bells coming from my manipulative side, my common sense, and my general survival instincts. None of which had served me very well in life, really.

"Oh, you have no idea. You're on!"

Author's Note:

Surprise bestpone