• Published 28th Dec 2019
  • 2,614 Views, 37 Comments

A Druid's Life - Crystonian

  • ...
5
 37
 2,614

Chapter 3

I sat there, facing my host. Waiting for a response. There was none other than her eyes. Quite a poker face I might add. Can't say I'm not impressed. It could compete with mine.

"I awoke in the forest yesterday around midday, with nothing but this saddle bag and my wits." I continued, "I was more shocked and confused on where I was. After some small...panic attacks, I chose a direction and walked."

Zecora nodded. Taking a sip of her tea.

"I traveled till I got to a small pond, watering hole. Whatever you prefer. I was dusk around that time so I set up a fire. Then the wolves came."

I took another sip.

"They seemed more curios than hostile. I was scared, as anyone would be. But I was more surprised when they didn't attack, merely sniffing me. Then they left."

I took in another deep breath. And then continued my story.

"The next morning I continued on my trek. After some time I thought, find a tall tree. I could see if there was any civilization anywhere. I then saw your tree poking out of the canopy. So I made my way here. When I got close, I saw your things. Talismans and warding. They didn't seem to bother me till I got to where you found me. Something in those things. They caused massive amount of primordial fear to wash over me. It was horrifying."

I sighed. Taking anther sip of tea.

"Then you found me, and you know the rest."

I look up at her. She seemed to sigh.

"What of this book you speak of?"

"Oh!" I turn and reach into my saddle bags, pulling out a well worn book. It was made out of a leather like plant material with metallic bindings. On its cover there was a large emerald indented and fused into the cover. Roots seemed to curl around the borders of the emerald. A large bronze clasp held the book close. Strange symbols decorated the cover and side. It seemed like writing.

I set the book onto the table. Zecora looks at it and then tries to open it. A bolt of green energy strikes her hoof as she tires to. She recoils it and looks at her hoof for any damage.

"I'm so sorry, are you ok?" I asked, worried.

"I am fine young druid. I believe only one of your kind can open it." She says.

"Um ok?" I reach for the book and unlatches it. Nothing happens. I lift the cover and open to the first page. It seems to be an introduction. Reminds me slightly of the DnD books I had read in the past.

The writing was the same as the cover.

Both me and Zecora look down at the writing in confusion. Neither of us could read it.

"Can you read it?" Zecora asks.

"I don't think so....." I trail off as the symbols start to rise off the pages and spin, shift, and transform. Slowly the letters sink back into the book but it was now in perfect english.

"Yes, I can read it." I reply.

I look down at the book and scan through it.

"Its...a...well. Grimoire of sorts for druids. I believe." I say, unsure.

Zecora nodded.

"Possibly with this...grimoire. You can understand your reason for being here." She said.

I look up from the book at her.

"Yeah, and it says in here that I have assesses to a type of magic. Possibly it can help me understand those too."

"Possibly."

Zecora noticed that the tea was low and got up, grabbing the pot, she trotted towards the kitchen area.
I turned to Zecora and scratched my head awkwardly.

"I was wondering if I could stay here till I fully understand my abilities. Is that ok miss?"

She set down the tea pot and started making more tea. She turn to me and replied.

"I don't mind, but only for a few days."

I looked surprised.

"Ok. Thank you Zecora. Thank you." I said, smiling.
==================================================================================================
Three days later

I sat outside Zecora's hut, meditating. The Druids Handbook sat in front of me opened to a page. On it was a picture of a creature meditating. Along with it was writing.

Slowly, around me small vines grew out of the ground. A bead of sweat rolled down my face and down my snout. Then I let a out a gasp of air.

"Huff...huff...." I fall back onto the ground, face up. The vines around me withered and shrunk away. "Why is it so hard?" I groaned.

I had got my basic abilities down the first two days. Mostly controlling vines and brambles. Supposedly those were the easiest things to do according to the book.

Leaning upright. I turn to look back at Zecora's cottage. Today was the last day she was allowing him to stay in her home. Today, I make my way towards the town of 'Ponyville?' or something like that. I nearly laughed when I heard Zecora say the name. Someone...er..pony, like her saying something so stupid. It just didn't sound right. I actually looked at the towns in the country I'm in. Oh yeah, its called Equestria. Not a bad name at all. And the Forest I'm in is called Everfree. Another good sounding name. But jeez, the cities names were just horse puns. Manehattan. Canterlot...ok, Canterlot isn't bad. Sounds like something fancy. But Manehattan. Really?!

Anyway, today I leave. I've already packed. Zecora nicely told me the currency, and turns out my bags are magical. Infinite money. Holy hell.

So where was I....oh yeah, going to Ponyville. Ugh, still get the cringe shivers whenever I hear that name.

"Druid Oak. Its time."

I swivel my head to see Zecora caring my saddle bags, along with hers.

"Oh. Ok, thank you for getting my bags." I say, "So this is it huh. Well thank you for allowing me to stay. Even for a short time. Thank you."

Zecora nodded. I quickly grab my saddle bags and put them on.

"Oh! Forgot something." I say quickly, turning and summoned my grimoire to myself. "There" I say, putting the book in one of the bags.

I turn back to Zecora.

"Um...bye." I say, awkwardly. "See you around. Possibly."

I start walking away.

"Yes."Zecora replied, chuckling at my awkwardness. "We'll see each other again. Now goodbye Young Druid." She waved.

I waved goodbye as I walked into the forest. Slowly walking towards my destination. Ponyville.

'I wonder how the ponies there are?'

Author's Note:

I can't do the rhyming that Zecora does. So I'll try for mysterious.