• Published 24th Dec 2019
  • 1,470 Views, 10 Comments

Tales of a Teenage Romance - Echo Breeze



It has been a few months since the incident at Camp Everfree. Timber has broken up with Sci-Twi and Sunset is there to help pick up the pieces.

  • ...
4
 10
 1,470

Chapter 2: Twilight's Lament

Chapter 2: Twilight's Lament

In the days following the break-up with Timber, Twilight had started to retreat further back into her introverted shell as the days went by. So much so that she even started skipping school. Sunset had noticed this, and thought nothing of it at the time. She just assumed that Twilight was sick in bed at home.

After a week of missing school, Sunset really started getting worried. She even sent Twilight several unread texts and phoned her several times, only to get her voicemail service. That Friday afternoon she decided to pay her a visit after school.

The day couldn't have gone slower for Sunset as she sat through the second block of classes for the day. She was looking forward to getting out of there as soon as the bell rang at the end of the day. No sooner had she thought that when the bell rang for her last class, trigonometry with Mrs. Harshwinny. Try as she might, she could not focus on the lesson. So she just resorted to sketching in her notebook. 'Why won't the damn bell just ring already.' she thought as she looked at the clock. Noticing that only fifteen minutes had passed since the last time she looked, she inwardly groaned.

After another fifteen minutes, (though to Sunset, it felt like half a millennia), the bell finally rang. She didn't bother to wait for any of her friends as she told them where she was going at lunch. She ran straight for her locker, got her helmet and ran outside. She hopped on her custom Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R, painted in the colour of her hair with her stylized sunset cutie mark on both sides of the tank. She started it up and headed straight for Twilight's house

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight looked at her bedside clock, a digital one she picked up at a school sale in her first week at Crystal Prep Academy. The numbers told her that it was a quarter to three in the afternoon. She openly wondered if any of her friends had noticed her absence. She didn't think so. Not that anyone would, a week after her break-up had seen Twilight sink back into her old introverted ways.

She didn't think anyone cared. She closed her eyes, hoping to get some sleep. Since the break-up, she hadn't gotten a single nights peaceful sleep. She woke again at the sound of the doorbell ringing. Knowing that her mom was home, she decided to pay it no mind.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

After a fifteen minute drive, Sunset arrived at the Sparkle household. She dismounted her bike and walked up to the door, removing her helmet as she walked. She rang the doorbell. After the second ring, Twilight Velvet answered the door.

"Afternoon Mrs. Velvet. Is Twilight in?" Sunset asked politely.

"Afternoon Sunset, she is in her room, though I'm not sure if she's up to entertaining guests. Come in and sit in the den while I call her." Velvet said, opening the door wider to admit Sunset entrance.

"Thanks Mrs. Velvet." Sunset said, making her way through to the den after removing her shoes and setting down her helmet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight was lying in her bed, trying to sleep, bit failing. She eventually decided to get up. As she got to her door, she heard her mom coming up the stairs. She opened her door and went out into the hallway. As her mom came around the corner, she kicked off the door and walked to her.

"Oh Twily, you're up. Sunset is here to see you." Velvet said as Twilight approached her. Utterly at a loss for words, she couldn't think. So she just said, "Thanks mom. Please send her up. I don't think I can see her downstairs." Her voice cracked a bit in sadness and disuse.

"Ok, I'll send her up. Do you want anything?" Velvet asked.

"Just a glass of water and some cookies please. I don't know if Sunset wants anything." Twilight said.

"Ok, be back in a second." Velvet said as she walked away.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A few seconds later, Velvet walked over to Sunset.

"Twilight is in her room, upstairs, the second door on the right." Velvet said.

"Thanks Mrs. Velvet." Sunset said as she started walking.

"Sunset," Velvet said, stopping Sunset dead in her tracks. "Would you like anything dear?"

"A root beer please, if you have?" Sunset replied with a polite smile.

"Sure thing dear. I'll be up with it in a second." Velvet said. And with that, Sunset started up the stairs. She got to Twilight's door and knocked.

"Come in." Twilight said with a tone of voice that sent shivers down Sunset's back. She had never heard Twilight so dejected before. She steeled herself and walked in.

What she saw when she walked in was absolutely shocking. Twilight's room was in utter disarray, with her lying on her bed in her pyjamas, holding a picture of her and Timber in her arms and Spike sitting on her lap.

"What are you doing here Sunset. I thought my absence at school meant that I want to be left alone." Twilight said.

"I know Twilight, but after a week of you being gone and after several unreturned calls and texts, I started to get worried." Sunset said. "Am I not allowed to feel concern for a friend who is hardly ever absent from school without even a hint of a valid excuse?"

"Look, I'm sorry Sunset. I just don't have the strength to deal with anything right now." Twilight said dejectedly. Just the Velvet walked in carrying a tray holding a glass of water, a root beer and a plate of freshly baked cookies.

"Here you go dears." Velvet said.

"Thanks mom. Those cookies look delicious." Twilight said as Sunset nodded in agreement. After she laid the tray down on the bedside table, she walked out.

Twilight and Sunset sat in a comfortable silence, drinking their drinks and sharing the cookies. After they were done, Sunset started to speak.

"So, what's got you so down, I've never seen you so upset, even before we got our geodes at camp." Sunset asked.

"I don't wanna talk about it Sunset." Twilight replied.

"Please Twilight, talk to me. I don't like seeing my friends so upset. I don't want to have to use my geode on you." Sunset said.

"You wouldn't!" Twilight said indignantly.

"I won't if you just talk to me." Sunset deadpanned.

"Fine." Twilight said with a huff. "Timber broke up with me…"

"What was that, I didn't hear you?" Sunset deadpanned.

"Timber broke up with me, okay!" Twilight yelled, tears streaming down her cheek. She then brought up her knees and buried her face in them.

'Shit, I didn't think it was this bad. I swear, when I see that good for nothing asshole again, I'm gonna kill him.' Sunset thought darkly. She then got up and wrapped Twilight in a tight embrace. She stiffened at the touch, but then returned the embrace and cried into Sunset's shoulder. Sunset rubbed a hand through Twilight's hair in return, not knowing what to do or say. All she did was whisper reassuringly.

After about half an hour, Sunset finally spoke.

"Why did he do it?" she asked, concern thickly laced in her voice, with just a hint of anger.

"H-he said th-that I n-never shut up a-about science, th-that I was to cl-clingy and th-that he wa-wasn't ready for a lo-long distance relationship." Twilight replied while sobbing.

"Look Twilight, if he said all that then he obviously never deserved to have you. You are the smartest, cutest, most loyal girl I know and he was an asshole for throwing that away. He obviously doesn't know how this break-up has fucked you up emotionally. If I see him again, I'm probably gonna do more than talk to him. He hurt my best friend and he will be lucky to walk away from me when I'm done..." Sunset ranted, before a hand on her shoulder broke her out of it.

"You think I'm cute…" Twilight asked with a blush. Seeing her blush made Sunset blush in embarrassment. 'I can't believe that I let slip that I like her in my anger. Stupid. I can't even keep a silly crush to myself when I'm angry.' Sunset thought to herself.

"Uhh… Umm… Sunset stammered in response, rubbing the back of her neck, her blush growing darker as her response made Twilight giggle.

"Well, one thing that this break-up has made clear, is that the feeling that I was gay that I had back in Crystal Prep, is one hundred percent confirmed. I didn't really like Timber past that first encounter at Camp Everfree. And as I got to know him more, the less I liked him." Twilight said. "How long have you liked me for?" she asked.

"Umm… Since the Friendship Games, to be honest…" Sunset said as she looked away.

"Well, you'll be glad to know that the feeling is mutual. I've also had a bit of a thing for you since the incident between Midnight Sparkle and Daydream Shimmer. I didn't know how you would react, so I jumped at the chance to get with Timber in the hopes of distracting myself from you." Twilight said with a conviction that Sunset had never heard before. Sunset used all her strength to not squeal in excitement.

"I… I had no idea you felt the same…" Sunset said.

"So, how do we continue. Would you like to go on a date with me sometime?" Twilight asked, with unmasked hope.

"If you come to school on Monday, we'll see." Sunset said with a giggle.

"No fair…" Twilight whined, crossing her arms with a pout.

"Do you promise to go to school on Monday?" Sunset asked, with a giggle in her voice.

"Fine…" Twilight said.

"Fine, then I'd love to. How does tomorrow sound?" Sunset asked.

"That will be perfect." Twilight replied.

"Cool, I'll pick you up at six. I've got the perfect place in mind."

"Okay. Let me walk you to the door. I hope you're not gonna take me on the bike though?" Twilight asked nervously.

"Don't worry about that…" Sunset said mysteriously.

They both got to the door, where Sunset got her boots, book bag and helmet. They hugged and Sunset mounted her bike again. She started it up with a roar and waved to Twilight as she rode off.

'I have a date with one of the hottest girls in school.' Twilight thought to herself. She started jumping around as soon as she got inside. "Yesyesyesyesyes." she said with glee, not knowing that her mom was standing staring.

"Twily, are you okay?" she asked.

"Umm… Yes mom." Twilight replied. "How long have you been standing there.?"

"Long enough. I just haven't seen you this happy since the break-up. What happened?" Velvet said

"Oh nothing.... I just have a date tomorrow." Twilight said nonchalantly.

"Oh Twily, that's wonderful news." Velvet said, wrapping Twilight in a hug.

Author's Note:

New chapter finally done, and before New Years as promised. Although I probably should direct a little more of my time to my other story, Sunset Struggles as well. I digress, enjoy the new chapter and as always, lile and comment.

Comments ( 9 )

How will their friends respond?

10016882
A afir question. I will cover it all in either the next chapter or the one after that. Thanx for reading.

Hopefully another chapter will arrive

10079152
I know that you are all waiting for an update on this chapter, but I am currently focusing on finishing my other stories which form an arc with this one. I appreciate that you all enjoy reading my stories, and hope that you will continue enjoying them. :twilightblush::twilightsmile:

10262475
Ok ok I see sorry if I upsetted you I enjoyed the first chapters alot

10263166
It's not that big a deal. As long as you enjoy it.:scootangel:

really like your stories- cool!

10474856
Thanks. I really love writing them. I am working on some music based on the Cadere a Gratia (Fall from Grace) arc as well as updates for all of my stories and some new ones.

this story is REALLY GOOD so far, pllleeaassee update sometime soooon, please and thank you!

Login or register to comment