• Published 31st Jan 2020
  • 6,004 Views, 32 Comments

Spike's Sweet Roommate - RS-Belle14



Life is full of twists and turns. After growing up, Spike and Sweetie Belle become roommates for college. They have always been friends, but, with all these changes happening around them, is it possible they could actually be... something more?

  • ...
9
 32
 6,004

I know what I like

Sweetie Belle ran ahead and excitedly opened the door.

"Wow," Sweetie Belle said as she entered their new apartment. "I still can't believe we really got this place!" She squeed. "This is so cool!"

"Yeah. I'm sure it looks really nice." Spike struggled to walk inside as he carried a tall stack of boxes. "If only I could see it through all these things I'm currently carrying... by myself."

Sweetie Belle went to explore the kitchen. "Yeah. Those do sound like they could get in the way."

Spike raised an eyebrow. "Oh, they most certainly are. All these big containers full of blouses and makeup most definitely do block my view of our new home."

"Can't argue with that," Sweetie nonchalantly answered as she walked over to the living room.

Spike rolled his eyes. "What I'm trying to say is 'Help. These things are kind of heavy, and more than half of them are yours.'"

"Oh! Coming!" Sweetie Belle ran back and picked a few boxes off Spike's load. "Sorry about that. I just got a little lost in the moment. My bad."

"Eh, don't mention it. At this point, it's nothing I haven't come to expect from you." Spike winked.

Sweetie pouted. "You're mean."

Spike chuckled. "Come on. Let's not just stand around here. We've got plenty to go through."

With that, Spike and Sweetie Belle spent the next hour getting the rest of their luggage out of Spike's car. They were able to bring down his things fast enough, but Sweetie Belle's were a completely different story. If he did not know any better, Spike would have thought that she brought her entire house with her: clothes, curling irons, dressers, mirrors, whatever Sweetie Belle owned throughout her lifetime appeared to have been packed in the back of Spike's car. It was a wonder she was even able to fit everything into the vehicle.

She must be incredible at Tetris.

"Okay," Spike said as he dropped the last box into Sweetie Belle's room. "I think that's the last of it."

"Yup!" Sweetie happily nodded. "Now, we can focus on unloading the rest of my things when they get here. Dad just texted me. He's on his way. He said he'll bring them over in a minute."

Spike stared at the girl. "... what?"

"Kidding." She playfully elbowed him. "That was for your earlier comment, you big meanie."

"Oh..." Spike wiped some sweat off her forehead. "Thank goodness. I thought I was about to get a hernia."

Sweetie blew a raspberry at him.

"Real mature." He shook his head. "So, how about we start unpacking all these boxes? The sooner we get started, the sooner we get finished." He looked around the clustered mess of a room. And if we start now, maybe we can finish before winter.

"Makes sense to me, buuuut—" Sweetie wrapped an arm around Spike's. "I'm actually feeling kind of hungry. How about we go get some lunch, first, and, you know, celebrate this momentous occasion?"

"Huh." Spike looked at his friend. "You know, that doesn't sound like a bad idea. This is a pretty big day for us, and I could definitely go for a good burger right about now."

"Ugh." Sweetie rolled her eyes. "It's always fast food with you. Why don't we go out and get something nice for once, like a lobster or some lasagna? Doesn't that sound good?"

"Sorry." Spike rubbed his stomach. "But this guy knows what he likes."

Sweetie shook her head. "Well, this girl knows where she's taking you. Come on." She grabbed his wrist and began to drag him out. "We're going somewhere nice. It'll be good for you."

Wow, she's strong. "Yeah, well, says who? You can drag me outside if you want, but that won't even matter because I've got the keys to the ca—"

Sweetie Belle quickly launched a hand into Spike's pocket and pulled out his car keys, mockingly shaking them in front of him.

So much for that. "... never mind." Spike slumped as he let Sweetie pull him out. "How'd you do that?"

"Spike, I can pack my entire room from home into the back of your little car. Reaching into your pocket and picking out some keys is child's play for me."

"... impressive."

Sweetie smiled. "You should see me play Tetris."


Sweetie Belle had driven Spike to some fancy restaurant not too far from the apartment. It was big, formal looking, and, from the looks of the parking lot, it was a pretty busy place.

With that in mind, Spike had hoped that the establishment would be too full to cater to them. It was not because he was against the idea of trying something a little more fancy; he just knew what he liked, and it was burgers, fries, hot wings, and pizza. However, the hope of getting any of those delicacies at that moment was soon dashed because, as fate would have it, Sweetie was actually able to get them a table, and they were quickly seated.

"You've got to be kidding me." Spike stared at all the full tables. "There is no way we could have just walked in here, not when it's this packed. You've had to have planned this."

"Hmm." Sweetie placed a finger on her chin and acted as if she were deep in thought. "Whatever do you mean? I have no idea what you're talking about. Why would I ever do such a thing like that?"

"I have a few guesses." Spike rested his head on his hand. This girl is a future supervillain.

"Excuse me." A well dressed young lady appeared and placed a basket of breadsticks on their table. "Welcome. My name is Sugar Pack. I'll be your waitress for the day. May I start you off with some beverages?"

Spike and Sweetie ordered their drinks and were soon handed some menus.

"There you are. I'll be right back. Your beverages will be here very soon," Sugar Pack said before leaving.

"Um..." Spike stared at the menu. "Do they sell food, here? I see a few things, but I'm not sure if they're edible."

Sweetie closed her menu and gave Spike a little glare. "You should at least give it a chance. You'll never know if you don't try."

"I'm just saying—"

"Don't be so close-minded." Sweetie Belle crossed her arms. "It's not bad to try something new."

Spike gave her a little chuckle. "All right, all right. Take it easy. I was just making a joke. I'll pick something. I promise." He returned his attention back to his menu. She sure is touchy about this.

Their waitress soon returned with their drinks and asked if they were ready to order.

Playing it safe, Spike asked for some spaghetti and meatballs. He figured if he was going to eat there, he should pick something that was at least a little familiar.

Sweetie, on the other hand, requested some sort of foreign soup that Spike had never heard of nor could hope to pronounce.

After writing down their orders, Sugar Pack took their menus and left them alone again, promising them that their food would arrive as soon as possible.

"Wow," Spike started. "That was some name. Do you even know what you ordered?"

"Kind of," Sweetie answered. "I've read about it a little, but I've never actually had it. It sounds really good, though. I'm sure I'll like it."

"I hope so. Otherwise, you're going to be spending money on something you don't like."

"Well... that's just the risk I'm going to have to take." She smiled. "Trying it once will at least let me know if I like it or not, and then I can decide if I ever want to get it again."

"Huh." Spike placed chin in his hand. "You know, that's a pretty good way to look at it."

"Really, now?" Sweetie leaned in. "Does it make you think?"

He chuckled. "A little, actually."

"Well, don't try to hide any secrets from me, now." She leaned in a little more. "Please, speak your mind."

"Okay." Spike's stomach rumbled. "There you have it." He smiled.

Sweetie Belle slumped back into her seat. "I should've known." She giggled.

"Sorry, but you should know that I tend to think with my stomach, sometimes."

Sweetie playfully raised an eyebrow. "Oh, I've noticed. I was just hoping that, by some miracle, you were actually going to say something at least a little insightful for once."

"On an empty stomach?" Spike dramatically placed his hands over his belly. "You're asking for too much, woman."

"Right." Sweetie smirked. "Above asking you to help me with my calculus final, be my chaperone to our senior prom, and become my roommate in college, asking you to think while you're hungry is too much."

"Couldn't have said it better, myself." He winked.

Sweetie snickered. "You're impossible." She grabbed a breadstick from the basket and stuffed it into Spike's mouth. "Here, eat this. I want you to think with your head for once."

"Gah!" Spike shook her away and bit off a piece. "Hmm. Not bad."

"Feeling more insightful, yet?"

"Maybe less hungry. That's a start." Spike grabbed another breadstick. "But, seriously, you shouldn't expect me to think too hard before we've even gotten our—"

"Food is here." Sugar Pack returned and placed two dishes on the table. "An order of spaghetti and meatballs for the gentleman and a bowl of vichyssoise for the young lady. Enjoy," she said before walking away again.

Staring down at his plate, Spike looked up at Sweetie Belle and saw her giving him a smug look.

"... well, I still haven't eaten it."

With that little moment out of the way, Spike and Sweetie Belle began to dig into their meals. Sweetie seemed to be liking hers just fine, but Spike was rather surprised at how much he was actually enjoying his. While he had eaten some quick-make noodles before, he had never tried spaghetti like this. The sauce and the seasoning were just so good, and the meatballs put any sausage he ordered on a pizza to shame. Impressed, Spike continued to dig in.

"Well, well, well," Sweetie said with a smirk. "This is certainly a rare sight to behold."

Here we go. "And what might that be?"

"You. You are actually enjoying your meal, and it's not something we got at a drive-through."

"Eh." Spike shrugged. "It's okay."

"Hmm. Judging from the way you were munching on it, I'm willing to bet that you think they're more than just 'okay'."

"Don't know what you're talking about." Spike proceeded to take another mouthful. "I'm just hungry is all."

"Oh, please. If it were that easy, I wouldn't have had to drag you here." Sweetie snickered. "Why can't you just admit that you like it?"

"Because that would be admitting you were right, and you don't need any more boosts to your ego. It's big enough as it is." He winked.

"Ah! You're mean." Sweetie smiled. "But I'll take it because you admit I'm right."

"Ha. See what I mean?"

"Hey, you're the one who decided to say it out loud, and I think I should be proud of myself for getting you this far."

"You mean tricking me into coming to this place? Oh, wait. Excuse me." He cleared his throat. "I mean, dragging me into this place? Yeah, bravo. You deserve a medal."

"Well, excuse me for not wanting to eat pizza for the third time this week."

Spike placed his hands behind his head and smiled. "I told you. This guy—"

"Knows what he likes. Yeah, I know. I've heard it a million times. But." Sweetie Belle placed her hands on her hips and playfully lifted her chin. "Since we're living together, now, I think it would only be fair if I get to make some decisions around here, too, including what we eat."

"Whoa, there." Spike crossed his arms and snickered. "And just what makes you think I'll let you make some decisions regarding my life?"

"Because." Sweetie Belle smirked and gave him a bit of stare. "Do you really want to risk my temper?"

Spike blinked. No, but I'm definitely gonna try to bluff my way out of this. "And just what makes you think I'm afraid you?"

"History, mostly."

The two continued on with their meals and banter for a while. They found every little reason to keep going, no different than their usual conversations. No matter how hard she tried, Spike would just not give Sweetie Belle the exact answer she was looking for, and that made her keep pressing which made him give another vague quip. It was a very redundant cycle.

The end finally came when Sugar Pack returned. "I hope you two have enjoyed yourselves." She slid a ticket toward Spike. "I assume you will be paying for you and your girlfriend?"

Spike blushed. "Ha... uh, actually, we're just friends."

Sugar Pack looked at Spike with wide eyes. "Oh. Really, now?" She leaned in. "Excuse me. I had no idea. I'm sorry for assuming. Please, excuse me." She leaned in a little closer. "I'm so sorry for that. I could make it up to you, you know. My shift ends in about two hours if you feel like going out to—"

"That." Sweetie Belle snatched the ticket from under Sugar's hand. "Will be enough. You've done plenty for us, already." Sweetie gave her a not-so-friendly smile. "Thank you."

Sugar stared back in surprise. "Hmph! My." She returned the gesture. "Pleasure." She walked away, winking at Spike as she left. "Bye."

Sweetie Belle crossed her arms. "Hmph! I swear. The nerve of her."

Spike looked back and forth between Sweetie and Sugar. "What was that all about?"

Sweetie turned back in shock. "Did you seriously not see what was happening? That girl was totally trying to hit on you!"

Spike blinked. "... and?"

Sweetie looked flustered. "... well, it was rude!"

"Uh... how exactly was that ru—"

"And she just slid you the ticket without a second thought! I mean, what year does she think this is? People like to go dutch or, heck, even the girl can pay if she wants!" Sweetie raised her chin. "She really needs to get with the times. Hmph!"

"Um." Spike slowly leaned in a little closer. "Are you feeling okay, Sweetie Belle?"

"I'm feeling just dandy! Thank you for asking." Sweetie grabbed Spike's wrist. "Come on! We don't need this. Let's get out of here."

"Guh!" Spike was dragged out of his seat. "Aren't we going to leave her a tip?"

Sweetie scowled. "Oh, I'm sure she'd like that."

Spike breathed out. I'll just leave it on the card.


After they paid their bill, Sweetie Belle had driven Spike to another part of town. Thankfully, she seemed to have cooled down after they left the restaurant and was back to her usual self in no time. Still, that little scene she made had Spike feeling a little nervous; Tartarus knew no fury like an angry Sweetie Belle. Throughout the rest of their trip, he was very careful not to step on her toes.

Eventually, Sweetie drove them to another place that was not their apartment.

"The park?" Spike asked.

"Yup," Sweetie said as she climbed out of the car.

"Why here?"

"I want to scope the place out." Sweetie began to lead Spike on one of the paths. "Since we're moving in, I need to find a new location to take my morning jogs. This park seemed like the obvious choice; it's pretty close to our place. I just want to check it out first and, you know, make sure it's all right. Plus, I think a nice little walk after a meal like that would do me some good."

Spike nodded. "Okay. I think I get it. A walk does sound kind of nice."

"Come on." Sweetie nodded her head forward. "Let's check this place out."

Walking side by side, Spike and Sweetie Belle followed down the concrete path and proceeded to inspect the park. From what they saw, it seemed to be an okay enough place; the paths were clean, there were various sports courts, a little playground for kids, and the fields were big and green. Other people they came across also seemed to be enjoying their time there. All in all, it just seemed to be a pretty good park.

It was also a rather big one; as Sweetie Belle led them down another path, the sunset had actually begun to set.

Spike and Sweetie were crossing a bridge when Sweetie spoke out.

"Hold up." She raised her arm and stopped him. "Check this out."

Spike looked to his side where Sweetie Belle was pointing and saw that the bridge they were standing on hovered over a small lake. The water was calm and blue, the sun's shimmering reflection bouncing off its surface, and there were even pretty, white birds swimming together all over.

"Aw." Sweetie Belle stared. "They're so cute!"

Spike stared. "You mean the ducks?"

"They're not ducks; they're swans." Sweetie dreamily leaned on the guardrail. "Look at them. They're so romantic."

"Romantic?" Spike leaned on the guardrail beside Sweetie. "How so?"

Sweetie Belle pointed her finger out. "Do you see those two swans over there, the ones that look like they're making a heart?"

Spike looked over and saw two of the birds making the shape of a heart with their necks. "Yeah, I see them."

"Well," Sweetie started as she gazed at the two birds. "That means they're partners. Unlike most other animals, swans typically only have one partner for their entire life. Once they've chosen their significant other, they form a life-long relationship where they mate with only that one partner. It's a really strong relationship, too; if one passes away, the remaining swan could actually die from a broken heart." Sweetie fluttered her eyes. "That last part is a little sad, but, still, they're just so romantic, aren't they?"

"Huh." Spike stared at the heart the two swans were making. "That is actually kind of sweet. I had no idea. Wow."

"I know, right?"

Spike gazed at all the swans swimming in the lake. "One partner for life..."

Sweetie Belle smiled. "Hey, you know what? These things are too cute. I need to take a selfie with them." She then pulled out her phone.

"Ha." This girl and her selfies. "All right. Why not? I'll just get out of your way."

"Okay." Sweetie posed for her picture. "Aaaand three... hmm. Actually, why don't you join me for this one?"

"Really? Again?"

"Sure! Come on." She pulled him in beside her.

"Okay, then." Spike looked at Sweetie's phone and smiled. Does she want me to be in all her pics, now?

"All right, and three... two... hmm. No, it's still not perfect. It's still missing something." Sweetie Belle tapped her chin. "You know what? Hold me."

Spike blushed. "... say what?"

"I said 'hold me'." She smiled. "Bridal style."

Spike felt his cheeks get even warmer. "Really? B-but why?"

"To match their theme." She nodded her head at the swans. "Please? Pretty please?"

"Uh..." Spike looked back at forth between the lake and Sweetie Belle. Weird but I guess it kind of makes sense. She does like to add some flare to her pics. "Okay, sure. I guess I'll just um..." Spike hesitantly placed his arm behind Sweetie's legs and back before gently beginning to lift her. "There we go."

"See? That wasn't so hard, was it?" She giggled. "Now, let me just get a little more into place." Sweetie Belle wiggled around until her face was right beside Spike's. "Perfect." She then lifted her phone. "Ready?"

"Yup." Spike looked at the camera and smiled. "Ready."

"Okay." Sweetie smiled at the camera. "Now, three... two... one..."

The second before the phone's flash went off, Sweetie Belle quickly turned her head and kissed Spike right on his cheek. Spike never saw it coming, and that was made evident when his initial reaction was to drop Sweetie Belle.

"EEK!" Sweetie shrieked before hitting the ground. "Oof!"

"Oh my gosh!" Spike realized what he had done. "I am so sorry! I didn't mean to, I swear! I just wasn't expecting you to do that! I don't know what came over me! I'm sorry! Please don't be mad!"

Sweetie Belle sat up and looked at Spike. She did not respond to any of his apologies; rather, she sat there in silence, staring at him.

"Um... Sweetie?"

To Spike's surprise, Sweetie's eyes did not appear to be filled with anger or frustration; they were big and twinkling. She did not look mad; she looked... dejected.

Sweetie Belle brought her knees into her chest and buried her face in them. "It didn't work," she muffled.

"Huh? What didn't work? The picture? We can try again! I won't drop you this time! I promise!"

"That's not what I'm talking about." She lifted her head off her knees and looked up at Spike. "I mean my plan didn't work. You... don't like me."

Spike was still panicking. "What are you talking about?! Of course, I like you! How couldn't I? We've been friends since—"

"No," Sweetie interrupted. "That's not what I'm saying. I mean that you don't... like-like me."

"Oh." Spike's eyes grew wide. "OH!" He felt his cheeks heat up again. "I... uh... I had no idea."

Sweetie Belle buried her face into her knees again. "Ugh."

Spike stared at the crestfallen Sweetie Belle, wondering just what was happening. If he heard Sweetie correctly (and he was still doubting that), then she just confessed to having feelings for him, and that was not something Spike was sure he knew how to react to, yet.

However, that did not change the fact that his friend was moping right in front of him on the ground, and that was certainly not something Spike was going to ignore. Like everything that was crossing his mind, he did not know how to approach Sweetie Belle, either, but he knew he had to try something.

Hesitantly, Spike lowered himself and sat down right beside Sweetie Belle and spoke to her as gently as he could. "Hey."

She did not respond.

Ugh. Why me? "Um... I know I've already said it a few times, but, again, I'm sorry for dropping you. I didn't mean to do that. I just wasn't expecting you to... kiss me. I mean, not that I didn't like it! It was nice! It's just... we've known each other for so long and I never suspected that you might have... liked me."

Spike heard Sweetie take a deep breath.

"Um... so, yeah. You... like me... you said you had a plan?"

"It was stupid," Sweetie Belle finally responded and lifted her head to face him. "I don't know what I was thinking. When you actually agreed to be my roommate, I thought you might've actually liked me back. I wasn't sure, so I thought of this stupid plan where I take you out to a fancy dinner and walked you through the park to show you something romantic and kiss you to cap it off, but, obviously, your reactions weren't very romantic." Sweetie sighed.

Spike stared at her. "... how long have you liked me?"

Sweetie Belle blushed. "... pretty much since you and Twilight moved to town."

Spike's eyes widened. "Wow..."

Sweetie shyly played with her fingers. "I always thought you were kind of cute, but then I saw you were a nice guy. Then we actually started to hang out and... well, the rest is history."

Spike's thoughts went through their memories together. "I had no idea."

"Seriously? After all we've done together, it's never crossed your mind, once? We've played with each other on the swing set. You were my first dance. We've gone to see Titanic fourteen times together. We've been each other's valentine every Singles Appreciation Day. Heck, I asked you to the prom! I practically threw myself at you after we left it!"

"I thought we were just being good friends to each other," Spike softly answered. "And I thought we were going to the prom as single friends like any other party we've went to." He scratched the back of his head. "As for what happened afterwards... I thought the drinks were making you act that way. I didn't have any, and I... didn't want it to feel like I was taking advantage of you."

"... I know." Sweetie Belle shook her head. "I don't get what the big deal is about alcohol. I'll never drink again."

Spike mustered up a half-smile. "They do say that the first time isn't always great," he joked.

That actually made Sweetie chuckle a bit. "You can say that again. After the way that whole fiasco turned out, my first time will also be my last. Thanks but no thanks, Diamond Tiara. I do not care for your mother's special stash, again." Sweetie and Spike shared a laugh on that one. "You didn't want to take advantage of me... how typical of you." A small smile formed on her face. "You're always so good to me."

"I try to be. I..." Spike blushed. "I care about you."

"Heh." Sweetie stared at her shoes. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." Spike scooted a little closer. "Why didn't you ever tell me?"

"I don't know." Sweetie shrugged. "I knew that you used to like Rarity and Ember, and I guess what I was hoping for was that, after spending enough time together, you'd might actually—"

"Choose you," Spike finished. "You wanted me to choose you because, if I didn't, you'd might feel like a second choice."

"... something like that." Sweetie Belle breathed out. "When you agreed to be my roommate, I thought I might've actually had a chance, so I thought of this dumb plan and..." She shook her head. "Look, I understand if it'd be too awkward for us to be roommates, now. I'm sorry about all of this. Really, I am, but... can we please still be friends? Please?"

Spike happily nodded. "Of course."

Sweetie gave Spike a small smile. "Thanks."

"But." Spike stood up. "I want to be roommates, too."

"Really?!" Sweetie Belle's eyes widened. "You don't think it'll be too awkward, now?"

"No, I don't think so." Spike offered his hand.

"You sure?" She took it.

"Positive." Spike pulled Sweetie back up. "Because there's something I think you need to know."

"Really?" Sweetie raised an eyebrow. "What?"

Spike smiled. "Sweetie Belle... I'm a simple guy. I know what I like, and I try to stick with what I like because it's all I really know. It's worked out for me so far; I'm happy, I have fun, and I have friends, so I've never seen a reason to really branch out. It's been good, but it's also come with a fault of mine, a big one." Spike chuckled. "Sweetie, I am dense."

Sweetie Belle laughed. "You don't say."

"It's true."

"I never would've guessed," she sarcastically responded.

"Believe it. I know what I like, and I stick with it, but..." Spike shyly scratched the back of his head. "That's also part of the reason I like to hang out with you."

Sweetie Belle stepped a little closer. "Go on."

A small blush appeared on Spike's face. "You... are a pretty open-minded girl. You like to go out and do different things because you want to see what the world really has to offer and never miss a piece of it. That's awesome, and... it's also kind of contagious."

Sweetie smiled. "Uh-huh."

"You make me—often times quite literally—try things I wouldn't normally give a second look. You keep me in check. If wasn't for you, I might not know about some of the things I like about my life."

She took his hand. "Glad to be of assistance."

Spike stared at their hands. "Th-thanks. Like I said, I'm pretty dense to the world around me, and... sometimes I can even be dense to my own feelings on things or... on people."

Sweetie placed her free hand behind Spike's neck. "Uh-huh."

"Um..." Spike shivered. "What I'm trying to say is that... I care for you. I do. I always have... and I mean, differently than how I care about my other friends... but I never really stopped to think what those feelings actually were. I thought we just had a special bond—and we do! I just... never really thought of what that bond actually was, not until you, uh... kissed me just a while ago." He gulped. "And after you did that, I started to think about all times we've had together, only... under a slightly different light, and it's... made me think—and not with my stomach! Um..." He gazed into her shimmering eyes. "Sweetie Belle, what I'm trying to say is that... there's something I... I think I... I mean, I know that I... geez, no wonder you never said anything; this is hard." Spike cleared his throat. "I mean I'm sure that I—"

"Just kiss me, you fool."

Sweetie Belle pulled Spike's face into her own, wrapping her arms around his neck and locking her lips into his.

Spike was absolutely shocked. If the first kiss he received from Sweetie hit him like a hammer, than this kiss slammed him like an anvil. Her lips felt soft and moist against his and had a slight vanilla taste. It was a weird feeling but somehow pleasurable. Hesitantly, he gently wrapped his arms around Sweetie's waist, slowly pulling her closer to him. Very soon, their chests were pressed against each others', and Spike completely gave in as he closed his eyes.

They stood there for what felt like hours, finally breaking away only when they absolutely needed to catch their breaths.

Sweetie Belle pulled back her head. "...wow." She breathed out.

"No kidding." Spike caught his breath. "Yowza... um..." He leaned in and pressed his forehead against hers, bending his neck oddly while doing so.

Sweetie Belle chuckled. "What are you doing?"

"I'm... trying to make a heart." He pointed out toward the lake. "You know, like the swans do."

"Seriously?" Sweetie Belle laughed before resting her head in his chest. "You really are dense."

Spike momentarily stared before laying his head on top of Sweetie's. "Yeah... I think we've established that."

Sweetie Belle snuggled her head. "You don't know how long I've waited to be like this," she softly said.

"I'm sorry," he gently replied.

"It's okay, now." She looked up at him. "We're here."

"Yeah... but we would've been here sooner if I wasn't such a moron." Spike shook his head. "Sweetie Belle, I promise that I'll never be so stupid again. I'll be a new man for you. All the mistakes I've made will be in the past, and we'll try new things together. I promise that I'll completely change the way I am—"

"Don't." She placed a finger on his lips. "Don't say that. Sure, you can try to make fewer mistakes, and, yes, I'd really like for us to try new things. There's nothing wrong with that. We're starting college, now. It's going to be a new experience for the both of us. Changes are to be expected. You can try to be a better you, but, please, no matter what, don't change who you really are." She removed her finger and smiled softly. "Not when you're already a good guy. Great, even."

"Hehe... you... give me too much credit."

"I already like who you are." She stood on her toes and kissed his cheek. "I have for a very long time."

Spike blushed. "Wow, I'm an idiot for not noticing you, earlier."

"Uh-huh." She nodded. "I can't rebut that. Sorry."

"Haha. Don't worry. I deserve it." Hmm. Just be a better me, huh? Now, how can I do that? An idea popped in Spike's head. "Hey, how did the selfie we take turn out?"

"Oh! I forgot about that." Sweetie Belle picked her cell phone off the ground. "It doesn't look like it's cracked. Thank goodness." She tapped the screen a few times. "Here it is."

Spike leaned closer and inspected the picture.

"Hmm." Spike tapped his chin. "That is not a flattering pic."

"No kidding." Sweetie shook her head. "You look like a deer caught in the middle road, and I look like I'm about to make friends with the ground."

"You're not wrong." He smirked. "I think we could take a better one."

"Oh." She grinned. "I'm certain we can."

Nodding with each other, Spike picked Sweetie Belle up the same way he had before. Sweetie adjusted herself in Spike's arms before lifting her phone up.

"Okay." Sweetie Belle pointed the camera toward them. "Get ready... and three... two—"

"One," Spike finished before lowering his face to Sweetie's and kissing her lips.

"Mmm." Sweetie Belle returned the favor right as her phone flashed.


Spike lied on his bed by himself, resting in the calm dark, the full moon outside his window was the only source of light.

After they had left the park, Spike and Sweetie Belle decided to finally return to their apartment. It seemed like the best choice; the night was settling in, and they still had plenty of unpacking to do.

When they got back home, they unloaded enough boxes to move around without tripping on something but decided to leave the rest for later (Sweetie's luggage was going to take more than just one evening). After that, they prepared for bed and retired to their respective rooms, wishing each other a good night.

Spike was starting to drift away when he heard a knock on his door.

"Spike, it's me." He heard Sweetie say.

Spike sat up. "I'd hope it's you. Otherwise, I'd have to call the cops."

"Very funny. Can I come in?"

"Sure."

The door opened to reveal Sweetie Belle. Her night attire was very comfortable, consisting of a long shirt and possibly something underneath. Spike really could not tell, even if her outfit did catch his attention. It certainly was more eye-catching than his white shirt and pajamas.

"Hey," Sweetie Belle softly said.

"Hey," Spike responded. "What's up? Couldn't sleep?"

"It's kind of weird." Sweetie Belle smiled. "I'm actually making sure that I'm awake. Mind if I...?" She pointed to the bed.

Spike felt his cheeks heat up. "Uh, do you mean...?!"

That made Sweetie Belle giggle. "No, no. Not on our first night, together. I just want to hang out for a bit."

"Oh." Spike's heartbeat returned to normal. "Okay. Sure, hop on."

"Thanks."

Sweetie Belle walked over to Spike's bed and gently laid herself beside him, resting her head on a pillow.

Spike rested himself back down as well, facing Sweetie Belle. "So what's up?"

"Scootaloo and Apple Bloom messaged me. They said they're moving in their stuff tomorrow."

"The neighbors?" Spike joked. "I suppose they're gonna want our help moving their things next door."

"Yup." Sweetie nodded. "I wouldn't worry about it too much; their luggage together shouldn't be half as big as mine."

"Ay-ay-ay." Spike playfully shook his head. "We're going to help them unpack on top of us unloading the rest of our things? It's gonna be a long day."

Sweetie snickered. "Man up." She playfully gave him a little shove. "We've got to be good neighbors."

Spike smiled. "I'm just kidding; of course I'll help. They're our friends." He crossed his arms. "And, for the record, I'm plenty man."

Sweetie Belle playfully rolled her eyes.

"You know." Spike started. "It's gonna be pretty cool, the four of us living right beside each other."

"No kidding. Think of all the wacky adventures we could have."

"Yeah. We might get complaints from the other neighbors with how crazy things could get around here."

"You got that right. Let's hope we don't get evicted."

They laughed.

"Hmm." Spike thought. "Hey, that's got me thinking."

Sweetie Belle smirked. "I swear, if you just make your stomach growl again—"

"No, no. I'm being for real this time."

"You better be." Sweetie crossed her arms. "Proceed."

"The four of us found this complex together, yet you and I moved in before they did." Spike grinned. "Is there a particular reason for that?"

Sweetie Belle snickered. "All right. You caught me. I asked them to wait for a bit so I could go through my dumb little plan."

"Knew it." Spike nodded. "So, they knew about your feelings?"

"They've noticed since day one, unlike certain other people."

Yup, she's never gonna let that go. "I said I was sorry."

"You better be." Sweetie Belle smiled before looking down at the pillow. She took a deep breath before speaking again. "I was so scared when I got their message."

"Huh? You were?" He blinked. "Why?"

Sweetie returned her attention to Spike. "I was asleep when I received it. They woke me up and told me they'd be here tomorrow. I was glad to hear from them, but then I started to panic. I was so afraid that... everything that happened today was just a dream."

Spike stared. "Sweetie—"

"I was so afraid that none of it was real, that it was all just a cruel dream, and that you and me weren't really..." Sweetie Belle took a deep breath. "But then I looked at my phone and saw the picture we took together. I saw the sunset in the distance, the swans making hearts behind us, and you and I were..."

Spike could see a faint blush on Sweetie's cheeks as giggled. She then scooted closer to him and rested her head on his chest.

"I'm so glad we took that picture, but I felt like I had to come here and see you for myself." She snuggled her head. "Hehe... I must sound crazy."

"You don't." Spike gently brushed a hand across Sweetie Belle's head. "The only crazy one here is me for not noticing your feelings all this time. I really can't believe how much of an idiot I've been." Spike took a deep breath. "You know, I think today has made me realize something."

Sweetie Belle lifted her head and faced Spike. "Hmm?"

"With everything that's happened today, looking back on our past and how we are now... maybe I don't know everything I like."

Sweetie raised her hand and caressed Spike's cheek. "Spike—"

"The world is full of surprises, way more than I ever thought, and I want to see them. I want to branch out and try new things... with you."

Sweetie Belle smiled. "Well, aren't you just a hopeless romantic?" She nodded. "The world is changing around us. Let's explore it together."

Sweetie rose and kissed Spike's lips with Spike immediately returning the favor.

Once it ended, Sweetie Belle lifted her head away from Spike and smirked. "Ah, what the heck?" Sweetie hopped up, lifted her leg, and planted both her knees next to Spike's sides. "You ready?"

"What?!" Spike's face felt like a furnace. "I thought you said not on our first night together!"

"If this was anybody else, no, buuuut..." She played with the hem of his shirt. "We've known each other for years. We've been close to each other for years. We know each other better than anyone else, and we're officially together, now. If you ask me, we might actually be a bit overdue." She leaned closer. "What do you say?"

Spike gulped. "You sure?"

"Do you have protection?"

"Y-yeah."

She gave him a quick peck on the lips. "Then I'm certain." Sweetie Belle grabbed the bottom of Spike's shirt and lifted it off him, revealing his chiseled physique to her. She raised her hands and started to caress his body, gently feeling out every inch. "You ready?"

Spike stared at Sweetie Belle for a moment, closed his eyes, and took a deep breath. "Are you?" He opened his eyes with a bit of a glare.

"Huh?"

Spike grabbed hold of Sweetie Belle's shoulders and quickly, without any warning, rolled the both of them over.

"EEEK!" Sweetie squealed as Spike hovered over her.

Spike leaned his head closer to hers. "Don't think you can just boss me around in this," he said with the smuggest of smiles.

Wide-eyed, Sweetie Belle soon regained her composure, placed her hands around Spike's neck, and smirked. "We'll see which one of us is the dominant one, here."

Author's Note:

Oh boy. I have MISSED doing a pure SpikeBelle fic. My MLP OTP is probably my favorite and easiest thing to write. Their chemistry really does work, they play off each other well, and they just look so darn CUTE together. In this story, I wanted to envision them being a little older. With the themes of this story, I thought them entering college would be the best way to go about (I did consider a wedding fic, but that's jumping a bit ahead. Besides, I already promised another couple would get their wedding, first :raritywink:).

This fic wasn't originally on my radar, but then, after I released my last holiday story (as well as running into the cover art), I realized that we were entering a new decade, and I figured I just had to write a story. I was planning to release it on the last day of 2019, but my laptop broke the week before. I tried to get it fixed multiple times, but nothing would get it working on time. In the end, I ended up buying a new laptop, which I enjoy very much. Not having a laptop wasn't so bad, though; I got relive my childhood and play with my PS2, Nintendo DS, and Wii. Those were really fun! ... but I am so glad I have a laptop, again.

The cover art itself helped make the story. When I saw the cover art, I knew I was going to end up writing a story on it. I didn't use the original because it took up too much memory for me to upload here, so I went with a version I found on derpibooru. I hope mauroz doesn't mind :twilightsheepish:

That does it for this one. I'm really starting to feel the groove again with my stories. After the intense burn out I felt in the beginning in 2017 (not to mention some bad life experiences), I feel good. Let's see if I can keep it up :raritywink:

Hope you enjoy it! See you next time!

Comments ( 32 )

This is a very cute, funny and sweet story. Love the interactions between the two and I would like to see more stories about them.

Once again you did a fantastic job and I'm happy to help out! :twilightsmile:

10060820
Thanks! I'm always happy to have your support. Of course I'll write more. I don't see a reason to stop any time soon.

Sunset walks into the lab where Twilight is working.
Sunset: Twilight, you'll never believe it. We've found a naturally occurring substance on earth denser than osmium.
Twilight: That's amazing Sunny! What is it.
Sunset: …your brother.

Cute, fun and well written. Thanks for the SpikeBelle.

This was a wholesome yet fun little romp, I’d be interested in seeing more of this version of the pairing

10061027
I would totally make that canon to this story.

10061097
Thanks! Of my more recent stories, I definitely think this is definitely the one with the most potential in the future.

Well, I am glad they didn’t fall into the pond. Swans can be mean!

Fun times, I always pictured Spike being kinda oblivious to someone else liking him, but this takes to another level. Still kinda endearing though.

10061178
Ha. I considered it but ultimately decided against it.

Swans are mean? Huh. I wonder why Sweetie didn't mention that?

10061369
He is that oblivious?

So sickeningly adorable, these two dorks are just... good grief, I think I have diabetes now.

10061690
Oh, no! I didn't mean to give you that!

10061542
Well swans do mate for life however they can also “divorce” if they so feel like and if a male dies the female just goes find another, so Sweetiebelle doesn’t really know the truth about Swans :twilightsmile:

Cute, sweet, and fluffy! I love SpikeBelle. :rainbowkiss:

This is a very romantic story. I love the chemistry between these two characters. It's what makes the story interesting.

10061717
I thought we were talking about them falling into the pond?

10061751
Me, too! My favorite MLP ship :heart:

10061768
I agree. I think chemistry is the biggest thing when writing ship fics.

10061801
We were. Just swan facts.

10062891
Well, I'm sure Sweetie Belle didn't want to mention that part to Spike.

10063304
Either that or she didn’t know

10063600
Either/or. She just thinks they're romantic.

Ah, so fluffy! So cute! I like it!

10063913
Thanks! I try my best. I'll try to bring more :raritywink:

Jeez, that was so....tropey...:pinkiesick:

I kept expecting Spike to rub the back of his head and say 'g-gomen'.

Thought about another new series?

10070307
Sorry you feel that way. I just write what I feel.

Also, I don't get the "gomen" reference.

10072679
All my stories these days are intended one-shots. If there's enough demand for it and see a potential next scenario, I'll consider a sequel.

Spike's load

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Hard to tell who's more dencer....Ash Ketchum or this universe Spike

10624426
I like to believe that, sometimes, any of us could be as dense as Spike or Ash.

I've certainly been there :twilightblush:

Login or register to comment