• Published 5th Jan 2020
  • 1,798 Views, 92 Comments

Atychiphobia - Ice Star



[Poetry] Sunset Shimmer struggles with keeping a regular diary, among other things.

  • ...
5
 92
 1,798

Aspiring Archmage, Sunset Shimmer

dear diary

i told the Princess
how when i am grown
i should like to be
Her mage of all mages
like how She
is the Mare of all mares
ruler of
every
last
creature
in the land that i call home
a Goddess above us all
when i told Her
She looked
more confused
then when i talk about
all the things
that i love
and the Goddess above
the little filly like me
whom i owe my new life
and
Everything
in it
said...

"Oh, little Sunnybun! What great stories you tell! Archmages are the stuff of silly old fantasy books of make-believe places. I have never had any such positions created for unicorns in my school, nor has any other. My, my, where did you get the idea?"

"Oh? Is that so? Well, none of the teachers you have ever had were more than mere mages. I've had no other unicorn magical ranks beyond that in Equestria. Everypony who has ever instructed you has been a teacher with a teacher's schooling, dear. What made you think otherwise?"

"My goodness, no. I find little worth in mageocracies and other silly ideas like meritocracies and the like that you are rambling about, my dear. You're better off putting such vocabulary to use in the studies you are actually assigned, never less and certainly never more. You really need to keep your hooves on the ground, my Faithful Student."

"Hm, ordinary? Yes, I suppose Equestria is no land of dreams, but something much more ordinary. Why do you sound so displeased? What's wrong with being ordinary, Sunset Shimmer?"

"Sunset, you're overreacting."

"You need to calm down, young lady. Right now. I want this talk about archmages to end. It's no more real than alchemy emporiums and whatever crazy hoo-doo and dreams they are selling to foals. Gracious me, there are too many dreams in the world, and too little of ordinary life. How is it that so many foals your age want to look a thousand lengths up in the clouds instead of three steps in front of you?"

"If you asked me, Sunset, I wouldn't even know what to do with an archmage if I had ever had one in the first place. So when you ask if an archmage would be closer to me than my dear Faithful Students, I don't have the slightest idea. This is all silly talk, like flying castles and witch-mares on broomsticks with chattering bushwoolies. I don't think I need to warn you again, do I?"

"When I said that you were overreacting, I was being very kind. Now, I have been very generous with my patience, young miss. This is no way for a filly your age to act. Crocodile tears are unbecoming and cruel. How do you think this would make other ponies feel if they were here? How do you think this makes me feel? Or if your peers got to see how you were acting?"

"Most foals your age have moved on from things like this. I would be much more willing to listen if you took some deep breaths, cooled down, and apologized to me for all the nasty lies you have been screaming at me right now. Then, I'm sure both of us would be in a better mood for tea and grown-up talk. Do you really think that grown-ups cry, my Faithful Student?"

"Listen, my dear Faithful Student. This is more than enough. If you aren't willing to act like a young lady even after all these chances I have given you, it's to your room. No more back-talk. No more excuses, and no more interruptions above all else. Not another word, you understand me? To your chambers, and do not dare suggest that I would ever lay a hoof against you, or that these words are anything close to such an unbecoming action. I am your guardian, Sunset Shimmer. Please do not make me feel like I am your keeper."

"Oh, horseapples! I am not your jailer! Don't use such nasty words! Room! Now!"

"Do not make me raise my voice! I am not a mare for shouting matches, Sunset Shimmer. It is beyond somepony my age and unbecoming of anypony who strives for a harmonious life. What have I said about all these emotions of yours before?"

"Look at me when I speak to you."

"I'm not asking. Sunset, when I say look at me and stop shouting..."

"Sunset! Sunset Shimmer! Sunset Helia Shimmer, come back here this instant! I wasn't done speaking with you!"

yours

still

somehow

sunset shimmer


dear diary

aren't the ponies
who Love us
supposed to set us free?

can i
free
me?

your damsel in distress

sunset shimmer


dear diary

when i look
the Princess in the eye
i cannot decide
whether She is
my Teacher whom i want
to be farther away from
then anything in the world
or a Goddess i Love
more than i know how to say
Completely
and
utterly
whom i want to be closer to than anything
though
it hurts

either way

is this
what
a Mother
does?

yours in
icky
stomach pit
feelings

sunset shimmer